Birdform counter script, help me test it

Public forum for the discussion of strategy.
Antipasta
AFH

Birdform counter script, help me test it

Post by Antipasta » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:55 pm

edit: "official" version now released at http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/28640

I updated my birdform attack counter (greasemonkey script) to count your gong drops for the day, but I need help testing it before I release it as a real update...

... because both antipasta, and my hardcore char antimarty, are doing familiar friendly runs, so I haven't even been able to test it on a real gong drop yet! I just tested it by pretending that reagents and enchanted beans were llama gongs. And I'm not patient enough to have watched it reset, or not, on rollover.

So if you are feeling brave, give it a shot, and let me know how it works, or doesn't.

"User's guide":
- when a gong drops, you should see a little (1/5) type thing next to the item
- if you want to know the day's total, check your charsheet, below the Turns Played (today) line

Extra bonus update - now counts absinthe drops too; it was only a few extra lines of code, even if it breaks the laser like focus of the script. Yay bloatware![/url]
Last edited by Antipasta on Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

alacrity
AFH

Post by alacrity » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:48 pm

Huh, nice. I have a similar utility in the form of an ASH script (called 'drops.ash') that regexes the current day's log file and prints out how many gongs and absinthe have dropped today. Unfortunately mafia/java doesn't deal well with DST, so the logs (and therefore the script) have incorrect data for drops (and queries) done during the hour before rollover while DST is in effect. It's actually quite annoying, and something I've been meaning to fix, but dealing with DST coding issues (in Java, no less) sounds about as much fun as ... something very unfun, so I just haven't gotten to it yet.

lostcalpolydude
Forum Maestro

Post by lostcalpolydude » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:43 am

It's properly counting gongs as they drop. I won't know until tomorrow if the counter resets at rollover.
bmaher: Softcore character
lostcalpolydude: Hardcore character (abandoned)

Kirkpatrick
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by Kirkpatrick » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:06 am

I started using this script early this week; it's very nice. It tracked gong and absinthe drops during my last ascension reliably, but when I ascended yesterday the counters didn't reset (after rollover they're back on track).

Mr_Crac
Spy vs. Pie

Post by Mr_Crac » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:50 am

Kirkpatrick wrote:but when I ascended yesterday the counters didn't reset (after rollover they're back on track).

For me, the counters are also not resetting properly:

Gong Drops Today: 5/5
Absinthe Drops Today: 3/5

And this is after I have received zero gongs and one absinthe so far today. Apart from that, very nice script.

zomg
Spy vs. Pie

Post by zomg » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:34 am

This script is awesome. Thanks a lot, AP :D

Antipasta
AFH

Post by Antipasta » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:24 am

Mr_Crac wrote:
Kirkpatrick wrote:but when I ascended yesterday the counters didn't reset (after rollover they're back on track).

For me, the counters are also not resetting properly:

Yeah, I thought I had it working, but I think something in the astral plane screen messes it up. I haven't actually ascended with a char, just fake tested it by fiddling with the turns-played and character level to pretend I'd ascended. Fail!

I'll put my spading char through the gash and fix it up.

edit - should be fixed, new version at http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/28640

Antipasta
AFH

Post by Antipasta » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:23 am

I've updated this script to count your daily navel ring and bandersnatch runaways - if you have the 'snatch equipped and Ode active, it will tell you how many free runaways you have left, and if you have the navel ring equipped it will tell you your percentage chance of running away for free. Account page will have the daily runaway counts.

Test version at http://antimarty.googlepages.com/birdfo ... ss.user.js - give it a try, let me know if it's broken or if you have suggestions.

DiscoNeckTed
Spy vs. Pie

Post by DiscoNeckTed » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:31 am

Nice little script. I was expecting warnings for the absinthe, but the cookie one worked swell. I'll try to mix it up with some run-away combos.
[img]http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/3514/ervs2.jpg[/img]

lostcalpolydude
Forum Maestro

Post by lostcalpolydude » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:53 pm

The navel ring percentage decreases for every attempt, instead of only when you successfully run away.

lostcalpolydude
Forum Maestro

Post by lostcalpolydude » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:23 am

lostcalpolydude wrote:The navel ring percentage decreases for every attempt, instead of only when you successfully run away.
The fix for this is pretty simple.

Code: Select all

function checkForNavelRingRunaway(data) {
	// counts whether succeeds or not
	if(data.indexOf( "you quickly float away" ) != -1
	|| data.indexOf( "you float away at a leisurely, relaxed pace") != -1)
		return true;
	else
		return false;
}
Should be

Code: Select all

function checkForNavelRingRunaway(data) {
	// counts whether succeeds or not
	if(data.indexOf( "you quickly float away" ) != -1)
		return true;
	else
		return false;
}

salien
Pie in the Sky

Post by salien » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:51 pm

Are you saying the navel ring predicted success percentage is currently decreasing for every attempt, not just successful ones? Because if so, that is actually correct; it was long thought by many that your chance of success went down only after a success, but it actually goes down after each attempt, successful or not; so you'll always be down to the minimum of 20% starting with the 11th attempt.

I unfortunately don't remember where the info came from; I do remember it was thought to be a change, but I think QN confirmed that he had initially spaded it that way on the hidden spading forum here, the information just got spread incorrectly.

I should go fix it on the wiki, too...

Antipasta
AFH

Post by Antipasta » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:23 pm

salien wrote:Are you saying the navel ring predicted success percentage is currently decreasing for every attempt, not just successful ones?
Yep, that's the way I wrote it, because that's how I thought it worked, and I didn't check the wiki carefully enough to see that it disagreed...

lostcalpolydude
Forum Maestro

Post by lostcalpolydude » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:12 pm

salien wrote:I unfortunately don't remember where the info came from; I do remember it was thought to be a change, but I think QN confirmed that he had initially spaded it that way on the hidden spading forum here, the information just got spread incorrectly.
I was going to summarize what I found in this thread that I tracked down, but instead I realized there was no reason for it to be hidden now, so I moved it, and it can be found here. If there are any other spading threads on the navel ring, then either I suck at finding them (unlikely) or even I can't see them (also unlikely).

The data in the thread seems to give one conclusion, but there's a note at the top that either contradicts that conclusion or is just too vague.

salien
Pie in the Sky

Post by salien » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:45 pm

Hm... looking through that thread, I don't think there's enough data to prove either conclusion. There's only 13 datasets, and only part of each dataset is actually relevant to distinguishing between the two formulas, and they're so similar anyway... Some rudimentary poking around does show that the data leans towards your chances decreasing by attempts, not by successes, but again, it's probably not enough to be conclusive either way.

Antipasta
AFH

Post by Antipasta » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:54 am

Just from the shape of the graph posted in that thread, it looks to me like only the successful runaways count.

[major edit - I made myself some graphs, and had misread QN's graph, anyway]

If every runaway counted, a graph of all runaways vs. success rate would show a straight line to a 20% success rate at try 11, and flat from there on out.

If only successful runaways count, you would see the graph of all runaways gradually approach 20% in a slower, asymptotic fashion (since every failure pushes the 20% point for that data set farther out). But a graph of the odds vs successful runaways would show a straight line to 20%.

So here are the two graphs, success rate plotted vs all runaways, and success rate plotted vs successful runaways (what QN posted, though some of his data points after the first few are different - maybe he used more data than was posted in the thread).

It still looks to me like only the successful runs count. The graph of success rate vs. all runaways is a lot slower and asymptotic, compared to the graph for success vs. successful runs only, which is a lot closer to a linear decrease to 20% at try 11.

(success vs. all runaways)

(success vs. successful runaways)

Mr_Crac
Spy vs. Pie

Post by Mr_Crac » Thu May 07, 2009 2:06 pm

Sometimes (often) this script works properly for me, but on some days it does not. Like:

Putty Sheet Uses Today: 6/5

That should actually not be possible... can I reset this manually? Or does it reset after each rollover? Or once within 24 hours? I'm confused.

Antipasta
AFH

Post by Antipasta » Fri May 08, 2009 12:08 pm

Mr_Crac wrote:Sometimes (often) this script works properly for me, but on some days it does not. Like:

Putty Sheet Uses Today: 6/5

That should actually not be possible... can I reset this manually? Or does it reset after each rollover? Or once within 24 hours? I'm confused.
The script is supposed to reset after rollover or when you ascend, based on the "days played this run" counter on your char page (which it loads when you log in, or when you ascend).

Probably something went wrong loading the char page, after which it doesn't recover. Maybe I can put some backup check in when you visit the char page, or a manual reset button on the page. I've only had it happen to me a couple of times, but it's pretty annoying.

Mr_Crac
Spy vs. Pie

Post by Mr_Crac » Sat May 09, 2009 3:30 pm

Antipasta wrote: The script is supposed to reset after rollover or when you ascend, based on the "days played this run" counter on your char page (which it loads when you log in, or when you ascend).
Hm, and how does it store the old value to which (I assume) it compares the current value? In a cookie? (Yeah I am entirely too lazy to look at the sourcecode now ;))

Also, the Raid Manager script was not working for me properly today either. Could be there is something wrong with my installation.