Skill picking 2.0

Public forum for the discussion of strategy.
zomg
Spy vs. Pie

Skill picking 2.0

Post by zomg » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:34 pm

Since I definitely want to take part in HCO's Dia contest, I decided that some advice was in order for skills. 15 right now, so I'm at the lower end of Tier 2.

http://www.sngx.net/skillChecker.cgi?ha ... AAAAAEDA==

AT right now. I'm planning on perming Tao soon. Any other advice?

Turias
AFH

Post by Turias » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:10 pm

Tao is extremely overrated. There are a lot of other skills which would help you speed up your runs more.

Madrigal -- Really helpful early in a run for any class.
Mad Looting Skillz -- 20% passive item drop is a lot
Tongue of the Walrus or Cocoon -- You have no healing skills.
Smooth Movement -- Better than sonata (cheaper, and doesn't take a song slot)
Wisdom of the Elder Tortoises -- for more MP
Antiphon to suck away that MP. Aria, too.

You have hero, so Power Ballad / Rage would be nice, too.

I have a big writeup I did a while ago on perming hardcore skills:

http://jick-nerfed.us/forums/viewtopic. ... 6275#66275

Note that it doesn't focus on getting quickly up-to-speed for fast contest runs. If you have a contest coming up I would forget about the muscle / hero / shieldbutt skills and focus on what you can use as a moxie class. If you are purely going for hardcore speed you will want to ascend as a moxie character if your contest allows it. Then you would forget about hero and just plink.

zomg
Spy vs. Pie

Post by zomg » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:17 pm

Turias wrote:Tao is extremely overrated. There are a lot of other skills which would help you speed up your runs more.

I just want to grab Tao because it will make flyering *so* much less painful.

Turias wrote:Madrigal -- Really helpful early in a run for any class.

Perming that this run.

Turias wrote:Mad Looting Skillz -- 20% passive item drop is a lot

Wow, is it really 20%? Dayum.

Turias wrote:Tongue of the Walrus or Cocoon -- You have no healing skills.

Healing skills are also very high priority on my as-yet-unformed list. Beaten Up is hella annoying.

Thanks for the link. I'll read over it.

lostcalpolydude
Forum Maestro

Post by lostcalpolydude » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:31 pm

zomg wrote:
Turias wrote:Tao is extremely overrated. There are a lot of other skills which would help you speed up your runs more.

I just want to grab Tao because it will make flyering *so* much less painful.

You have entangling noodles. Flyering shouldn't be painful, at least not more so than any other part of the game.
bmaher: Softcore character
lostcalpolydude: Hardcore character (abandoned)

MonsterERB
AFH

Post by MonsterERB » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:35 pm

Turias wrote:Tao is extremely overrated.

Heresy. Less MP spent healing = more MP for buffs/skills = faster runs. I do agree you should pick up a healing skill, although I'd recommend Disco Power Nap. There's always stuff to do while beaten up (low-level backfarming, DD, pixels, sewer, etc), but Power Nap removes Cunctatitis, Tetanus, Sleepy, etc, plus 2 free rests/day. MP per HP is about the same as Tongue of the Walrus (Power Nap = 40/12 = 3.33 HP per MP; TotW = 35/10 = 3.5 HP per MP). Definitely get Smooth Movements and Mad Looting Skillz. An elemental resist skill (Astral, Elemental) would be nice, but that's lower priority. If you've got the time, Aria would also be a nice pickup.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/dvmaprezson/AFHV1.gif[/img]

KujjieKujjieKoo
Spade Ninja

Post by KujjieKujjieKoo » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:02 pm

General advice: Ask yourself "What's slowing me down? Where are my bottlenecks?" then perm whatever fixes that problem. If you've got multiple bottlenecks, figure out which saves the most days, then turns to prioritize.

Bread and Butter: Mad Looting Skillz (20% passive item drop) and Powers of Observatiogn (10% passive item drop) would be at the top of my list. Item drop is king.

Encounter Manipulation: Smooth Movement (+5% noncombats) is useful. Doesn't take up a song slot, and non-combats are plenty helpful. Improves quest time and powerleveling efficiency. Musk and Confrontation are also useful, but won't save as many turns per run as the noncombat skills will.

Survival: A general category, served in a variety of ways. Healing, defense, HP, initiative, etc. Adding something like Madrigal is probably the most bang for your buck, and helps a ton in the early game. Tao is more useful late game, as +ML is run more often, and higher DA gear is worn. A healing spell of some nature (or two) is worth picking up. I'm partial to power nap for the negative effect removal, but tongue and cocoon both have their uses.

Combat: Another general category, and could almost be viewed as another means to survival. Monsters can't hurt you if they're dead! Shieldbutt, Eye, Tenacity, Jackasses, Rage, Stream / Saucegeyser, and more would fall into this category. Increase your options for attacking, and damage when you connect. Shieldbutt and Torso grow in usefulness when combined with Armorcrafting.

Next few skills I'd personally get (in no particular order):
-Mad Looting Skillz
-Powers of Observatiogn
-Disco Power Nap
-Smooth Movement
-Musk of the Moose
-Shieldbutt
-The Moxious Madrigal