HCB early game/recent changes advice.

Public forum for the discussion of strategy.
Draco Cracona
Gatekeeper of Hell

HCB early game/recent changes advice.

Post by Draco Cracona » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:03 am

Now I'm back from a short, unintended break, I'm looking at switching to doing a decent amount of HCB runs, or at least adding them sometimes (multiple areas of experience is always good!). However, there have been a few changes recently, and also there are a few things about HCB that I'm not really sure on.

Firstly, recent changes WRT Ode: This seems to have been nerfed, probably deservingly. I just want to check that I am reading the wiki right on it, that I'll probably want ~23 or so turns of ode, giving me 23 or so turns extra from booze, and that what booze to drink hasn't changed with the associated update? Also, does ode not trigger on steel booze?

Secondly, booze acquisition: Where is best to get booze from, especially early? I'm thinking that day 1 yellow would probably be best on the harem, day 2 on the hippy, day 3 on the guard, day 4 on booze giants, as a mox class? I've got Inigo's, so I'm looking at a skipped tender, and thus no fun house booze. Day 1 I can get 3 garnished tavern drinks; what should I do on day 2-3 and for the last drink on day 1? BfoB for day 1/2 and hope for luck in the barrr NCs and drops? Or is it worth a mox class levelling in the barrr instead of the ballroom on day 3 or so, just to get some booze? I'm assuming here that HCB semirares are too much of a crapshoot to rely on for anything, and that farming booze giants probably isn't worth it, although when I think about it it might beat BfoB on day 3 if I can survive.

Thirdly, a more general purpose question- Shields: I have Armourcraftiness, so can make a bar shield, but that causes more meat issues, and HCB has less rogue use, less tonics and more buggedbear use. For more casual runs, I'm getting head from a statue, but that's not too good for speed. There is the new shield from the friars, but that means no L5-6 library levelling and no ML first friars areas, as that's where I tend to use butts earlygame. Is it best to just cough up the meat for the bar shield if going for speed, and grab the head on relaxed runs for the stun, as opposed to waiting? I'm not able to survive sewerlevelling at the moment; my damage stickers are generally being used to handle the ML from ur-kel's, Buggedbear and general adventuring.

Lastly, a quick mafia question. I'm switching to mafia's relay browser, as I've finally had enough of FF and not all scripts I use work with Chrome (mainly the birdform tracker). Am I right in assuming that mafia tracks daily drops, insults, spoils choice adventures etc. via the relay browser (just so I can turn off the un-needed scripts, but I'm overdrunk today)?

Thanks for reading/replying!

sham
Fie the Pie

Re: HCB early game/recent changes advice.

Post by sham » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:24 am

1 turn drunkness=1 turn ode. so if you drink an SHC, you'll lose 4 turns of ode. pretty much what you had in mind then.
it's the same for food and milk.
ode/steel? I don't know.

I usually get my booze from the ballroom non combats+rum. it's probably not enough for an HCB, in that case, I olfact booze giant.

I usually get a shield either from a turtle brickos, in the friars or from the cola battlefied (not optimal but who knows, you might get an UR! and some nice stats)

relay browser tracks pretty much everything I need and you listed.

so short answers, hopefully people will develop more :)

Serra725
AFH

Post by Serra725 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:02 am

Your yellow ray on either day 3 or day 4 is going to need to be the mining outfit, and KGE outfit on the other day. Instead of a yellow ray, I think it's better to use olfaction on the booze giants some time when you don't need your nose clear. I did it on day 2 before I drank. You can really rake in the booze without using too many adventures. Without olfaction, I like your idea of spending extra turns in the barrr, or hitting it earlier.

Do you have a spell you can use until you get the friar's shield? I've been using cannon / flavour. Otherwise, yeah, you're going to bleed either meat for bar shield or adventures to open cola battlefield. Also, what's the head from the statue that you mentioned?

Kelemvor
AFH

Post by Kelemvor » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:37 pm

Draco Cracona wrote: I'm getting head from a statue
Heeheeheehee.

(Yes, that is the sum total of my potential contribution to this thread. Hooray for knowing nothing about HC!)

zombiepops
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by zombiepops » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:16 pm

sham wrote:1 turn drunkness=1 turn ode. so if you drink an SHC, you'll lose 4 turns of ode.
1 turn drunkness is unclear (is it turns generated?), one unit of liver == one turn ode.
I'm brainy for Zombiepops!

lostcalpolydude
Forum Maestro

Post by lostcalpolydude » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:29 pm

Draco Cracona wrote:Lastly, a quick mafia question. I'm switching to mafia's relay browser, as I've finally had enough of FF and not all scripts I use work with Chrome (mainly the birdform tracker). Am I right in assuming that mafia tracks daily drops, insults, spoils choice adventures etc. via the relay browser (just so I can turn off the un-needed scripts, but I'm overdrunk today)?
Mafia shows all of those things in the relay browser. Also in the Daily Deeds panel for daily drops, if you want to check those without bringing the familiar out. And "insults" in the CLI if you want to check that without being mid-combat.
bmaher: Softcore character
lostcalpolydude: Hardcore character (abandoned)

Draco Cracona
Gatekeeper of Hell

Post by Draco Cracona » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:50 pm

Serra725 wrote:Your yellow ray on either day 3 or day 4 is going to need to be the mining outfit, and KGE outfit on the other day. Instead of a yellow ray, I think it's better to use olfaction on the booze giants some time when you don't need your nose clear. I did it on day 2 before I drank. You can really rake in the booze without using too many adventures. Without olfaction, I like your idea of spending extra turns in the barrr, or hitting it earlier.

Do you have a spell you can use until you get the friar's shield? I've been using cannon / flavour. Otherwise, yeah, you're going to bleed either meat for bar shield or adventures to open cola battlefield. Also, what's the head from the statue that you mentioned?
No spell as of yet, still something I need to perm. The head from the statue is the ancient stone head from an agua monster, the one with a hidden chance to stun opponents. Perfect for a lazy run, but out of the way and requires early agua usage. Could grab cannon in a few runs, a spell would be useful.

Thanks for the advice, probably best to do KGE on day 3 and farm up some booze from sniffed giants on late day 2/early day 3 I'm thinking. Too used to having so many spare yellow rays from oxy :P

NightBird
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by NightBird » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:54 pm

Also, does ode not trigger on steel booze?
No. Checked it 2 days ago.
Konstantin a.k.a. NightBird
HCB / HCT / HCNP ascender

zombiepops
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by zombiepops » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:59 pm

lostcalpolydude wrote:Mafia shows all of those things in the relay browser. Also in the Daily Deeds panel for daily drops, if you want to check those without bringing the familiar out. And "insults" in the CLI if you want to check that without being mid-combat.
one of my favorite mafia cli commands - bang; shows you all the bang potions you've identified.

Verdigris97
Colonel Contest

Post by Verdigris97 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:46 pm

zombiepops wrote:
lostcalpolydude wrote:Mafia shows all of those things in the relay browser. Also in the Daily Deeds panel for daily drops, if you want to check those without bringing the familiar out. And "insults" in the CLI if you want to check that without being mid-combat.
one of my favorite mafia cli commands - bang; shows you all the bang potions you've identified.
! also works! (!!!!)

zombiepops
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by zombiepops » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:05 pm

On my HCB runs, pirates have fueled most of my drinking post day 2. I'd consider running a fairy the whole first part, and in the barrr for the rum and if you're stopping after 6 insults, consider seven. as for day one, the barrels may not be a terrible idea.
as for combat, look at clobber. if you've got any +damage skills it can be very effective at low levels. Others would probably recommend toss as an option. Those can probably tide you over till the shield drops in the friars... though I haven't done a hcb/hct run since the friars change or the diet revamp, so keep that in mind. My concern is how to generate the meat/mp for running both inigos and extra casts of ode on day one in a HCB mus run.