Skill Perming Question for Daycount

Public forum for the discussion of strategy.
Superbuck
Pie of the Sky

Skill Perming Question for Daycount

Post by Superbuck » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:21 am

Playing with my ideas for perming order for the next 5 ascensions in advance of the DitR 3 contest at the beginning of November.

Current skillset:

Advanced Cocktailcrafting (HP)
Superhuman Cocktailcrafting (HP)
Mad Looting Skillz (HP)
Shieldbutt (HP)
Pastamastery (HP)
Entangling Noodles (HP)
Tao of the Terrapin (HP)
Torso Awaregness (HP)
Advanced Saucecrafting (HP)
Impetuous Sauciness (HP)
Amphibian Sympathy (HP)

Summon Stickers (HP)
Summon Sugar Sheets (HP)
Summon Candy Heart (HP)
Summon Party Favor (HP)
Summon Love Song (HP)
Summon BRICKOs (HP)

My intention is to use the next 5 perms with an eye entirely to reducing daycount for the contest.

My (possibly flawed) idea about this is that to reduce daycount the most important skills are turn-gen skills, non-combat increasing skills and item drop skills.

Working from that assumption, my guess would be to make the largest impact on my daycount, the 5 best next skills would be:

Ode to Booze
Phat Loot Lyric
Sonata of Sneakiness
Smooth Movements
and... I don't know.. maybe Leash of Linguini?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Kelemvor
AFH

Re: Skill Perming Question for Daycount

Post by Kelemvor » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:44 am

Ode, Smooth, and Sonata are all solid picks. I would take Leash and Inigo's over Phat Loot, since you can buy Phat Loot in-run (you won't have it for some of the early quests, but you'll get most of the benefit).

Also, answering for stu: PERM THEM ALL! :)

Also also, looking at your bcc profile and depending on how much you're willing to spend, you might want to consider picking up a mimic, pixie, stickers, or candy hearts (all useful in softcore to varying degrees), and a clownfish (I'd send you one if I weren't in HC right now).
Last edited by Kelemvor on Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Omri
AFH

Post by Omri » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:46 am

Those 5 actually sound exactly right for the next 5 perms. Go for it!

Edit: Yeah, Kelemvor is right, Inigo's definitely is a very nice perm, even if it's expensive. You can get MMM in-run to help get enough MP for it.
Last edited by Omri on Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Superbuck
Pie of the Sky

Post by Superbuck » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:47 am

I did plan on doing the contest as AT so buying Phat Loot in run does make perfect sense. Thank you! =)

I find Inigo's to be slightly intimidating. I'll have to learn a lot more about it.

Kelemvor
AFH

Post by Kelemvor » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:02 am

Quoting self FTW.
Kelemvor wrote: Also also, looking at your bcc profile and depending on how much you're willing to spend, you might want to consider picking up a mimic, pixie, stickers, or candy hearts (all useful in softcore to varying degrees), and a clownfish (I'd send you one if I weren't in HC right now).
Err, never mind this. I got confused and was looking at quamper's bcc profile, not yours. :P But if you have meat to spend, post what you already have (or make a bcc profile) and I'll happily give advice that's actually based on your situation and not someone else's. :)

Superbuck
Pie of the Sky

Post by Superbuck » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:08 am

Figuring out mafia this afternoon so I can make a bcc profile and start logging runs.

So for now, an old fashioned list.

I have every ascension relevant familiar except the hound dog. (really have no idea how to use the mimic or brickos optimally though)

Plenty of meat to burn but For purchasing items there isn't much more I can do I think.

I think the only purchasable item that could be relevant that I don't have is snow cones and that's just silly expensive.

quamper
Leaks

Post by quamper » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:22 am

Kelemvor wrote:Err, never mind this. I got confused and was looking at quamper's bcc profile, not yours. :P But if you have meat to spend, post what you already have (or make a bcc profile) and I'll happily give advice that's actually based on your situation and not someone else's. :)
Aww man now you're criticizing my familiars/skills on other people's posts as well. Just for that you owe me a clownfish!

NardoLoopa
Market Manipulator

Post by NardoLoopa » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:37 am

If you're going to perm Inigo's I do it early on; it take a bit getting used to the strategy necessary to run that buff. Otherwise, your perms look good.

Superbuck
Pie of the Sky

Post by Superbuck » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:51 am

NardoLoopa wrote:If you're going to perm Inigo's I do it early on; it take a bit getting used to the strategy necessary to run that buff. Otherwise, your perms look good.
That's a very good point about inigos and is the source of one of my 2 main concerns about it:

1) it takes a bit of strategy I imagine to use it right. Looking at it now, and using a RNR to cast, it looks like I'd need 4.5 casts per day for 5 ACs and 2 ramens. Now, if you can get to 100 mp then refilling it is trivial with slimeling and tonic waters of course, but that leads me to concern 2...

2) can I get to 100 mp early on without wisdom? With the 5 possible perms pre-contest I'm not sure there's room for wisdom

NardoLoopa
Market Manipulator

Post by NardoLoopa » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:11 pm

My hunch is that if you take Inigo's the only time you'll be able to use it is after day-1. Or maybe for 1 cast on day-1. Also, remember, you'll need 50MP for Ode. That's a lot of MP to get out of your slimeling (on day-1 when you don't have a lot of drops to feed it). Tonics instead of Supercocks will certainly be helpful.

Superbuck
Pie of the Sky

Post by Superbuck » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:10 pm

Got mafia up and running.

BCC profile here:

http://bumcheekcity.com/kol/profile.php ... mcheekcity

Kelemvor
AFH

Post by Kelemvor » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:21 pm

If meat is no object:

- Tasteful gifts is handy for studded belts, stick-on eyebrow piercings, personal massagers, and foot massage oil. Once you perm the disco naps, the campground stuff is handy too.
- Rock lobster for starfishing in the crypt.
- Jack-in-the-box for filthworms, wine cellar, and anywhere else you can stand it.
- Maybe snow angel for niche starfishing needs, though you're probably covered by clownfish/lobster.

Superbuck
Pie of the Sky

Post by Superbuck » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:54 pm

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

I've been going back and forth on this and am now thinking:

PM - leash of linguini (current run)
DB - smooth movements
AT - sonata of sneakiness
AT - Inigos

AT for contest run, do madrigal, mojomuscular and phat loot in run.

Now, I'm not too worried about casting inigos on day 1. I normally don't complete my boxen until day 2 anyway. So that shouldn't be too big a deal. And with 40 mp from suspenders Kicking in on day 2 due to AT leadin it should be no problem from there on out.

If I did do this, I'm lead to a brand new followup question:

From reading logs I've seen some people with inigos still get beer lenses and two boxes for cameras. Normally I think to be used on ASCII art and probably a frogman.

Without musk and cantata I won't be going anywhere near the beach so frogman is out.

Are there other popular camera targets or should I forego cameras completely until musk and cantata?

Omri
AFH

Post by Omri » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:35 pm

Forgo cameras. They're usually not worth the risk at taking a daycount hit, as they don't save that many turns. The only time I would consider them is very low turncount 4-day runs, since you don't really use all your fullness/drunkenness on those runs anyway. Even then, you take the risk at losing out, since you have to count the turns getting the lenses, a clover getting the boxen (or many turns getting 2-3 boxen), and the actual turns using the cameras.

maddsurgeon
Fie the Pie

Post by maddsurgeon » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:49 pm

Been a while since I've done a drinking path, so forgive me if I'm out of the loop, but I thought the point of the camera was to do the Nuns quest as a Hippy but finish as a Frat, saving 8 turns. With the Hipster for the lenses, it's not that big a risk for a decent savings, though I suppose it's still a risk if your daycount is on the edge.

I guess you're not guaranteed to get the Hippy Outfit, though, even if you get lenses. Do people only do that in Softcore?

Kelemvor
AFH

Post by Kelemvor » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:44 pm

I think you use one camera for ASCII (saves 2 turns of powerleveling if it's your only 31337 scroll, or something like 7 turns due to clovers if it's your second), and then see what happens when you start the war. If you get all the outfit parts, great, save the camera for the nuns, save 6 turns after stats. If not, use it at the beach, save around 4 turns.

Standard disclaimer applies, I don't know jack crap about hardcore.

ETA: This was posted before the sewer change, now the second 31337 only saves you around 3.3 turns and a bit of meat, since you can get as many trinkets as you want from the sewer.
Last edited by Kelemvor on Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Omri
AFH

Post by Omri » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:11 am

maddsurgeon wrote:Been a while since I've done a drinking path, so forgive me if I'm out of the loop, but I thought the point of the camera was to do the Nuns quest as a Hippy but finish as a Frat, saving 8 turns. With the Hipster for the lenses, it's not that big a risk for a decent savings, though I suppose it's still a risk if your daycount is on the edge.

I guess you're not guaranteed to get the Hippy Outfit, though, even if you get lenses. Do people only do that in Softcore?
Yeah, the main reason, I believe, is that you don't always get the war hippy outfit, unless your days happen to line up so that you can YR the war frat outfit on the end of one day and the war hippy outfit at the beginning of the next.

Raccoon
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by Raccoon » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:17 pm

For the AT runs, you can buy Mojo Melody in-run quite cheaply. But at some point, you're going to want that, or else it's going to be hard to cast Ode or Inigo's on day 1.
[img]http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u218/mad_hamish/raccoonsig.jpg[/img]

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Post by lotsofphil » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:10 pm

Superbuck wrote:Thanks for all the advice everyone.

I've been going back and forth on this and am now thinking:

PM - leash of linguini (current run)
DB - smooth movements
AT - sonata of sneakiness
AT - Inigos

AT for contest run, do madrigal, mojomuscular and phat loot in run.
edit: eek, just noticed you don't have Ode? You need Ode more than any other AT skill, in my opinion.

I'd perm phat loot in place of inigos. My hunch is you'll want the meat and you'll want +item in sonars, friars, 8-bit.

You'll make your class EW as an AT anyways so boxes will be open. You won't have the base MP to cast it until day 2 so getting brains will be easy too (moreso if you get a shield from the battlefield).

MonsterERB
AFH

Post by MonsterERB » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:33 am

lotsofphil wrote:eek, just noticed you don't have Ode? You need Ode more than any other AT skill, in my opinion.
I was just about to post this. Ode will give you +18 adv per day, minimum (14 drunk + AC/SHC nightcap). +23 adv per day if you get steel liver. If you're worried about daycount, Ode is absolutely crucial.
I also agree that at your lower skillset, you'd likely be better served with Phat Loot instead of Inigo's, at least for HC. So, if you've got 4 perms left before the contest, I'd go with Leash, Smooth, Ode, and Sonata. If you've got 5 perms left, add in Phat Loot.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/dvmaprezson/AFHV1.gif[/img]

Superbuck
Pie of the Sky

Post by Superbuck » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:36 pm

Thanks all!

Apologies, I should've updated the first posts skillset.

I permed Ode during the run in which I asked this question (right before the PM run where I permed Leash).

Into another AT now for Phat Loot.

All settled now on (starting when I asked the question initially):

Ode to Booze
Leash of Linguini
Phat Loot
Smooth Movements
Sonata of Sneakiness

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Post by lotsofphil » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:02 pm

That looks good to me. You are early enough that any of the skills being discussed will help a lot.

Superbuck
Pie of the Sky

Post by Superbuck » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:36 pm

MonsterERB wrote:So, if you've got 4 perms left before the contest, I'd go with Leash, Smooth, Ode, and Sonata. If you've got 5 perms left, add in Phat Loot.
Due to my near herculean speed it turns out I had 6 perms left before ditr

Grappling with wisdom or observatiogn as the 6th now

Day 1 ode is finicky but doable without wisdom so leaning towards observatiogn for speed purposes

top1214
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by top1214 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:00 pm

Superbuck wrote:
MonsterERB wrote:So, if you've got 4 perms left before the contest, I'd go with Leash, Smooth, Ode, and Sonata. If you've got 5 perms left, add in Phat Loot.
Due to my near herculean speed it turns out I had 6 perms left before ditr

Grappling with wisdom or observatiogn as the 6th now

Day 1 ode is finicky but doable without wisdom so leaning towards observatiogn for speed purposes
Assuming you go AT, you'll have mojo day one for ode, so that's taken care of. Don't perm wisdom. Your next muscle perm should really be Hero. You have no idea how much nicer that makes every muscle run after that. Really, you're getting to the point where each of the next skills won't be as phenomenal as the previous stuff. I would probably go Ur-kel or Inigo, whichever floats your boat.