5 day hcb runs take 2.

Public forum for the discussion of strategy.
Post Reply
User avatar
zombiepops
My Pie Blown Sky High
Posts: 483
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:18 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

5 day hcb runs take 2.

Post by zombiepops » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:52 pm

since the last group of 5 day HCB attempts proved a success, and seeing as I manged to screw up an not ascend HCB causing me miss out, I'd like to try and organize another group to try again if anyone else is interested. I'm looking at targeting the moxie days on feb 6/7th, but that's not set in stone if people would prefer other days.
Serra, Draco wanna try again?
Phil, Snark, care to show us how it's done?
Any one else wanna try with me?
I'm brainy for Zombiepops!

Draco Cracona
Gatekeeper of Hell
Posts: 1149
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:59 pm

Re: 5 day hcb runs take 2.

Post by Draco Cracona » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:55 am

Mox days on feb 6th/7th? Sounds good to me, I think- should have time to do this run, a PM run and a SA one beforehand. Good luck this time, and hope that you remember to select a path this time!

User avatar
lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham
Posts: 4075
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:56 pm

Re: 5 day hcb runs take 2.

Post by lotsofphil » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:38 am

I am in, tentatively. If I have a speed run in me, I will make it an HCB one.

Draco Cracona
Gatekeeper of Hell
Posts: 1149
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:59 pm

Re: 5 day hcb runs take 2.

Post by Draco Cracona » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:30 pm

Hmm. Just had a talk with Omri, and 4 day might be doable by people speedier than me. Anyone fancy trying for it over the same set of mox days? 738.5 turns generated, need to get liver in 146.5 adv and be blender [so lose a fax and it roughly breaks even on turns, but you lose out on the MCD for a bit] for that. Also, blender is only +12 adv, due to lack of maid.

Assuming blender:
Day 1:
Fax Crossdresser and sniff; YR harem as usual, SR wines.
40+3*22.5 [spleen]+3*6.5 [pumpkins]+3*6.5 [wine SR]+3*20 [SHC]+5 [blender] == 166.5
Need to hit liver within 146.5 adv. Is this doable for people faster than me? Apparantly it is, but not by me. My day 1 sucks.

Day 2:
Fax ASCII. YR Hippy.
40+3*7.5 [spleen]+3*6.5 [pumpkins]+5*20 [SHC]+5 [blender] == 187. Total: 333.5. Maybe try and get 3 wads here, although that's very hard to do pre-L9.

Day 3: stat day I
Fax mariachi. YR KGE and mariachi and usual targets.
40+3*22.5 [AIR]+ 3*6.5 [pumpkins] + 5*20 [SHC] +5 [blender] == 232. Total: 565.5.

Day 4: Stat day II
Fax bandit.
40+3*7.5 [spleen] + 6 [prismatic wad] + 3*6.5 [pumpkins] + 4*20 [SHC] + 5 [blender] == 173. Total: 738.5.
Last edited by Draco Cracona on Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Omri
AFH
Posts: 337
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:49 pm

Re: 5 day hcb runs take 2.

Post by Omri » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:42 pm

I'll certainly be trying a 4-day HCB over those moxie days. Also, keep a few things in mind:

Prismatic wad day 4 means a few more adventures. And if you're planning to fax the mariachi day 2, you will need a yellow ray there.

Draco Cracona
Gatekeeper of Hell
Posts: 1149
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:59 pm

Re: 5 day hcb runs take 2.

Post by Draco Cracona » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:35 pm

Well caught, Omri. Also, I always forget the wads, will update in a min.

Thinking about it, mox sign means you'll have issues (i.e. you won't) getting a meattank for the maid. 12 adv gained from blender. You'll probably lose something like 6-7 turns from faxing a dresscrosser or a gearhead instead of a valley monster, then you have to get the meattanks and the skirt weighed against a clover and an averae of ~4 turns, so that's ~6 turns from that, roughly cancelling out the fax losses.

+12 adv straight up against a gnoll after faxing something. I have no idea of how long the gnoll should take, but I'm thinking blender's probably worth it here. Probably.

User avatar
zombiepops
My Pie Blown Sky High
Posts: 483
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:18 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: 5 day hcb runs take 2.

Post by zombiepops » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:39 pm

I've created a kolrace for this at http://www.kolracetrack.com/races/40/. I'll be adding people to it as I remember too.

also, if any of the newer/less experienced players who don't feel they can hit the target day count but want to learn how to do speed HCB, feel free to join in; it'd be a good chance to learn.
I'm brainy for Zombiepops!

Draco Cracona
Gatekeeper of Hell
Posts: 1149
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:59 pm

Re: 5 day hcb runs take 2.

Post by Draco Cracona » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:20 pm

Right, Omri's just failed a 4 day, and we're both gonna give it another shot over the next mox days. 21st or so. More strategy:

D1: Fax/sniff crossdresser or gearhead is best, I think. Think. I either lose 6 gen and force myself to try and hit L6 without using more than 2 pupmkins and my spleen, or I put KGE off until ~350+ (second YR D3). Gah. pumpkins are 6.5 turns, spleen is 7.5 turns. 3 of each and 40 base gives 75.5 turns to hit L6 without a stat day. Fuck that, I'll be needing at least one swill, I think. That cuts down signifigantly on the turngen... 10 down on previous estimates with one swill, 14 with 2. Urrgh. Will have to think.

D2: YR hippy, fax ascii, bank

D3: Fax and YR Snake. YR miner and something else. Maybe a blur etc., or KGE if I went with the wines.

D4: Fax Brigand. YR as needed for tower.

L6 in 75.5 w/o stat day is gonna be a hell of a time. That'll be my bottleneck, and I have no idea how to get around it. Sewerlevel? Take the insane meat hit and run until D3 on Doc/mimic/rogue wiith wines as SR?

JennyUnderpants
Cheats at Words With Friends
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:42 pm

Re: 5 day hcb runs take 2.

Post by JennyUnderpants » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:58 pm

SLUTS is starting on 2/16 :D Just sayin'.
Image

Omri
AFH
Posts: 337
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:49 pm

Re: 5 day hcb runs take 2.

Post by Omri » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:38 am

JennyUnderpants wrote:SLUTS is starting on 2/16 :D Just sayin'.
Huzzah! Will there be pie?

User avatar
zombiepops
My Pie Blown Sky High
Posts: 483
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:18 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: 5 day hcb runs take 2.

Post by zombiepops » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:48 am

Omri wrote:
JennyUnderpants wrote:SLUTS is starting on 2/16 :D Just sayin'.
Huzzah! Will there be pie?
:( I want pie!
I'm brainy for Zombiepops!

JennyUnderpants
Cheats at Words With Friends
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:42 pm

Re: 5 day hcb runs take 2.

Post by JennyUnderpants » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:50 am

You bet your sweet bippy there's a Pie Tier again. Bonus love baked into the pie if you save me from shipping to Europe again >.<
Image

User avatar
lostcalpolydude
Forum Maestro
Posts: 2940
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:54 pm

Re: 5 day hcb runs take 2.

Post by lostcalpolydude » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:38 am

JennyUnderpants wrote:You bet your sweet bippy there's a Pie Tier again. Bonus love baked into the pie if you save me from shipping to Europe again >.<
Would Asia be better?
bmaher: Softcore character
lostcalpolydude: Hardcore character (abandoned)

Omri
AFH
Posts: 337
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:49 pm

Re: 5 day hcb runs take 2.

Post by Omri » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:05 pm

JennyUnderpants wrote:You bet your sweet bippy there's a Pie Tier again. Bonus love baked into the pie if you save me from shipping to Europe again >.<
I'll do my best!

Draco Cracona
Gatekeeper of Hell
Posts: 1149
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:59 pm

Re: 5 day hcb runs take 2.

Post by Draco Cracona » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:49 pm

16 more adv gained by blender, but makes a lot of meat issues and has a good chunk of turnsink. Might just go for mus sign, will see how I feel.

JennyUnderpants
Cheats at Words With Friends
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:42 pm

Re: 5 day hcb runs take 2.

Post by JennyUnderpants » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:57 pm

lostcalpolydude wrote: Would Asia be better?
You shush! Asia and Australia would make me cry.
Image

User avatar
top1214
Oh my! Guy with Pie!
Posts: 1959
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:10 am
Location: St Louis, MO, USA

Re: 5 day hcb runs take 2.

Post by top1214 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:08 pm

JennyUnderpants wrote:SLUTS is starting on 2/16 :D Just sayin'.
Looks like I'm putting off that 100% Underworld Bonsai BM run again...

Also, tiers? How little should I be ascending until then.

JennyUnderpants
Cheats at Words With Friends
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:42 pm

Re: 5 day hcb runs take 2.

Post by JennyUnderpants » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:22 pm

based on your best run, not # of skills. I'll be posting the contest thread in the next day or so. For reference, I think my 4/910 put me in Tier III.
Image

User avatar
top1214
Oh my! Guy with Pie!
Posts: 1959
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:10 am
Location: St Louis, MO, USA

Re: 5 day hcb runs take 2.

Post by top1214 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:59 pm

Huh, that sounds like a neat way to reimagine it. Looking forward to it!

User avatar
reverkiller
Promoter of Heck
Posts: 261
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:45 am

Re: 5 day hcb runs take 2.

Post by reverkiller » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:53 pm

I'm kind of glad that I haven't broken in to 4 days yet. Gives me the advantage of knowing what the heck is going on (although probably a lot of others know a lot more than I do).

User avatar
lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham
Posts: 4075
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:56 pm

Re: 5 day hcb runs take 2.

Post by lotsofphil » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:50 pm

JennyUnderpants wrote:based on your best run, not # of skills. I'll be posting the contest thread in the next day or so. For reference, I think my 4/910 put me in Tier III.
Best NP run? sweet! Tier 1 here I come.

User avatar
Fred Nefler
AFH
Posts: 812
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:47 pm

Re: 5 day hcb runs take 2.

Post by Fred Nefler » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:45 pm

Draco Cracona wrote: Day 1:

40+3*22.5 [spleen]+3*6.5 [pumpkins]+3*6.5 [wine SR]+3*20 [SHC]+5 [blender] == 166.5
Need to hit liver within 146.5 adv. Is this doable for people faster than me? Apparantly it is, but not by me. My day 1 sucks.
wut?

And if you use the sewer you can get liver in about 100 turns.

User avatar
zombiepops
My Pie Blown Sky High
Posts: 483
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:18 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: 5 day hcb runs take 2.

Post by zombiepops » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:19 pm

JennyUnderpants wrote:based on your best run, not # of skills. I'll be posting the contest thread in the next day or so. For reference, I think my 4/910 put me in Tier III.
damn it, the updated tiers bumps me into the pie tier.... :(
I'm brainy for Zombiepops!

Draco Cracona
Gatekeeper of Hell
Posts: 1149
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:59 pm

Re: 5 day hcb runs take 2.

Post by Draco Cracona » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:54 pm

Fred Nefler wrote:
Draco Cracona wrote: Day 1:

40+3*22.5 [spleen]+3*6.5 [pumpkins]+3*6.5 [wine SR]+3*20 [SHC]+5 [blender] == 166.5
Need to hit liver within 146.5 adv. Is this doable for people faster than me? Apparantly it is, but not by me. My day 1 sucks.
wut?

And if you use the sewer you can get liver in about 100 turns.
Oops. Doesn't change the output, just me typing the wrong thing in- thanks for pointing that out.

Also: How many turns of sewerlevelling do you need for liver in ~140 turns, considering that you'd need to hit L6 in ~70-80 turns? I'm thinking that 20 turns in the sewers should do me (I hope), considering that I shouldn't need the swill so don't need to do any quests bar opening of the knob.

Omri
AFH
Posts: 337
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:49 pm

Re: 5 day hcb runs take 2.

Post by Omri » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:03 pm

Draco Cracona wrote: Also: How many turns of sewerlevelling do you need for liver in ~140 turns, considering that you'd need to hit L6 in ~70-80 turns? I'm thinking that 20 turns in the sewers should do me (I hope), considering that I shouldn't need the swill so don't need to do any quests bar opening of the knob.
20 is definitely enough. I think you can hit level 6 from turn 1 in something like 23 or 24 - I know because I pretty much had to do that to get day 1 stomach for my 4-day HCT due to needing to save fullness.

User avatar
Fred Nefler
AFH
Posts: 812
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:47 pm

Re: 5 day hcb runs take 2.

Post by Fred Nefler » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:10 pm

Omri wrote:
Draco Cracona wrote: Also: How many turns of sewerlevelling do you need for liver in ~140 turns, considering that you'd need to hit L6 in ~70-80 turns? I'm thinking that 20 turns in the sewers should do me (I hope), considering that I shouldn't need the swill so don't need to do any quests bar opening of the knob.
20 is definitely enough. I think you can hit level 6 from turn 1 in something like 23 or 24 - I know because I pretty much had to do that to get day 1 stomach for my 4-day HCT due to needing to save fullness.
Yep, I'm pretty sure that's what we all did. 10 turns right at the start, then hit boss bat for meat (and a hot cookbook for friar's snatching), then back to the sewers until you hit 6. I think we both needed slightly more than 20 total turns in the sewer for that. But we also hit liver in the 100-110 turncount range. Of course this was as saucerors.

User avatar
NightBird
My Pie Blown Sky High
Posts: 510
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:40 am
Contact:

Re: 5 day hcb runs take 2.

Post by NightBird » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:27 pm

Fred Nefler wrote:
Omri wrote:
Draco Cracona wrote: Also: How many turns of sewerlevelling do you need for liver in ~140 turns, considering that you'd need to hit L6 in ~70-80 turns? I'm thinking that 20 turns in the sewers should do me (I hope), considering that I shouldn't need the swill so don't need to do any quests bar opening of the knob.
20 is definitely enough. I think you can hit level 6 from turn 1 in something like 23 or 24 - I know because I pretty much had to do that to get day 1 stomach for my 4-day HCT due to needing to save fullness.
Yep, I'm pretty sure that's what we all did. 10 turns right at the start, then hit boss bat for meat (and a hot cookbook for friar's snatching), then back to the sewers until you hit 6. I think we both needed slightly more than 20 total turns in the sewer for that. But we also hit liver in the 100-110 turncount range. Of course this was as saucerors.
My turns 1-3 were RR (in outskirts), turn 4 was crafting AT EW and turns 5-24 were sewerleveling. I hit level 6 on turn 24 and started friar's immediately. And is buying hot cookbook for friar's really optimal (instead of using mimic here)? I never tried to buy cookbook from guild in SA runs...
Konstantin a.k.a. NightBird
HCB / HCT / HCNP ascender

User avatar
Fred Nefler
AFH
Posts: 812
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:47 pm

Re: 5 day hcb runs take 2.

Post by Fred Nefler » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:04 pm

NightBird wrote:My turns 1-3 were RR (in outskirts), turn 4 was crafting AT EW and turns 5-24 were sewerleveling. I hit level 6 on turn 24 and started friar's immediately. And is buying hot cookbook for friar's really optimal (instead of using mimic here)? I never tried to buy cookbook from guild in SA runs...
It makes bander stasis stupid easy, and you can pretty easily hit a base weight of 15-20 pounds on your bandersnatch at the friars while still getting stat gains and a mountain of MP. That extra weight means 2-3 more banderways every day, starting immediately.

Omri
AFH
Posts: 337
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:49 pm

Re: 5 day hcb runs take 2.

Post by Omri » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:00 pm

Max weight bander for more runaways plus having tons of turns of buffs saved up are worth getting the cookbook IMO. I believe I did pretty much exactly what Fred did for my first turns on day 1 - 10 in the sewer, bats, sewer 'til 6, then friars with the cookbook. The cookbook also saves a lot of MP in the sewers (which can be rather problematic early in a run) for that second half as well.

User avatar
NightBird
My Pie Blown Sky High
Posts: 510
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:40 am
Contact:

Re: 5 day hcb runs take 2.

Post by NightBird » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:53 pm

Interesting. Thanks. I'll try it next SA run :)
But iirc, I summoned 2 orange candy hearts, which tuned my SA spells for 20 turns of sewerleveling and allowed me to cast noodles->hot aligned wave->hot aligned geyser (without casting saucestorm). Also not using mimic during lvl 6 quest means less meat (4-6K) and fewer polka pops.
Konstantin a.k.a. NightBird
HCB / HCT / HCNP ascender

Omri
AFH
Posts: 337
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:49 pm

Re: 5 day hcb runs take 2.

Post by Omri » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:47 pm

Ah, yeah, I don't think I had immaculate seasoning back then, so that wasn't too much of an option for me :P

The meat and polka pops are definitely very nice, I'll admit. You do get a *ton* more MP from banderstasis though. I just did a kind of test run in my sauce lead-in to work out kinks in my plan, and from just friars part I, I have a 16 lb bandersnatch and leash for the rest of my run.

User avatar
Fred Nefler
AFH
Posts: 812
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:47 pm

Re: 5 day hcb runs take 2.

Post by Fred Nefler » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:53 pm

NightBird wrote:Interesting. Thanks. I'll try it next SA run :)
But iirc, I summoned 2 orange candy hearts, which tuned my SA spells for 20 turns of sewerleveling and allowed me to cast noodles->hot aligned wave->hot aligned geyser (without casting saucestorm). Also not using mimic during lvl 6 quest means less meat (4-6K) and fewer polka pops.
Orange candies is luck. It's entirely possible that you wouldn't get even one of those in time. Meat was surprisingly non-problematic for my 4-day teet, even though I was making and eating at least 10 hi meins over the run.

User avatar
zombiepops
My Pie Blown Sky High
Posts: 483
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:18 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: 5 day hcb runs take 2.

Post by zombiepops » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:41 pm

DAMN, CURSES, BALDERDASH, BAMBOOZLED, FOILED!
ended day 5 on floor 2 of the tower. stupid rng luck in the hedge maze, stupid screw ups on day one, and 3 stupid misclicks (olfacting the wrong damn thing in the hole in the sky! why did I olfact a beaver instead of the astronomer?), and stupid luck on the gate requiring the one bang potion I didn't have, and four boxes later finally giving it to me.

soooo....damn.....close.....

*sigh* okay, lets try this again, one more time... in a month or so...
I'm brainy for Zombiepops!

User avatar
zombiepops
My Pie Blown Sky High
Posts: 483
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:18 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: 5 day hcb runs take 2.

Post by zombiepops » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:45 pm

thread necro!

I'm about to try again (probably tomorrow) with all the new lovely changes added in the past two months that will help speed things along (obtuse and the new fancy shower....)

I think I've got most everything planned out, except for what are good targets to romantic arrow on day one?
I'm brainy for Zombiepops!

User avatar
lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham
Posts: 4075
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:56 pm

Re: 5 day hcb runs take 2.

Post by lotsofphil » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:35 pm

ascii or brickos if you can handle them? which is kinda doubtful

Draco Cracona
Gatekeeper of Hell
Posts: 1149
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:59 pm

Re: 5 day hcb runs take 2.

Post by Draco Cracona » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:47 am

Blooper is probably best, I think, for D1. If not that then the brickos are probably the next best.

User avatar
zombiepops
My Pie Blown Sky High
Posts: 483
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:18 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: 5 day hcb runs take 2.

Post by zombiepops » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:05 pm

5/889. FINALLY!
now to do it with a reasonable turn count and less screw ups on my part.
I'm brainy for Zombiepops!

User avatar
top1214
Oh my! Guy with Pie!
Posts: 1959
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:10 am
Location: St Louis, MO, USA

Re: 5 day hcb runs take 2.

Post by top1214 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:13 pm

Congrats ZP!

User avatar
thacon
Fiendishly At Large
Posts: 1553
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:13 pm
Location: New York

Re: 5 day hcb runs take 2.

Post by thacon » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:54 pm

Yay, ZP!

bennieloohoo
Dropped to Casual
Posts: 409
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:21 pm
Location: Cambridge, MA

Re: 5 day hcb runs take 2.

Post by bennieloohoo » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:57 pm

Nice, congrats!! :thumbs:

User avatar
zombiepops
My Pie Blown Sky High
Posts: 483
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:18 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: 5 day hcb runs take 2.

Post by zombiepops » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:03 pm

Image

and it made the leaderboard!
*happydance*
I'm brainy for Zombiepops!

User avatar
lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham
Posts: 4075
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:56 pm

Re: 5 day hcb runs take 2.

Post by lotsofphil » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:59 am

Congrats, ZP!

Post Reply