3-day HCNP planning

Public forum for the discussion of strategy.
ema_nymton
Just Plain Old Pie

3-day HCNP planning

Post by ema_nymton » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:34 pm

So there's this SLUTS contest coming up, and while there's a perfectly reasonable chance that I could be competitive in HC tier 3 with a couple of low-turncount 4-day runs, I want to push the envelope. Breathe the rarefied air of a 3rd-day astral gash. Put the "bleeding" back into "bleeding-edge". You see where I'm going with this.

Based on some logs I've read (well, Ex's and Nightbird's-- sure, they have more skills, but they didn't have faxes or obtuse angels), I figure if I can generate around 775 turns, I'll have a pretty good shot. So let's start with a consumption plan. Obviously, I'm going for all consumable semirares:

Stomach:
4 reagent pastas (25 each)
1 grue egg omelette (24)
3 fortune cookies (1 each)
3 badass pies (9 each)
6 tasty tarts (5.5 each)
1-2 knob pasties (6.5 each)
0-1 filler
Turns from milk: Up to 30 (possibly 45, see below)

Liver (includes Ode):
3 swill (16 each)
8 SHCs (20 each)
9 pumpkin beer (6.5 each)
3 distilled fortified wines (6.5 each)
1-2 Knob coffee (7.5 each)
2-3 flower schnapps (3 each)

Spleen:
3 karma (avg. ~67 total)
1 feather (8)
5 agua/pixie sticks (~38 total)

With average gains, 30 turns of milk, and 120 adventures from rollover, that's ~765 turns. Iffy.

Now it's debate time...

-YR/fax/BRarrow targets: Day 1. Getting liver on Day 1 means there's room for two rays. With the recent demise of needing to YR a harem girl, this puts a hippy on the spot for the second ray, but the first one is a little trickier. I'd love to be able to zap a dairy goat for the extra turngen on day 1 (15 extra turns!), but 1) this would cost a fax that could otherwise be used on the KGE captain or ASCII art (neither of which need a YR), and 2) would cost me a reagent (more on this later). I guess even if I have to farm up the outfit or scrolls, it's still a net gain if it takes less than 15 turns. Of course, there's also the matter of surviving the goat until the YR comes up. Finger cuffs spring to mind, but I'd need a token first... as for arrows, probably a Hellion for a chance at extra cubes (not having to buy a mushroom plot on day 1 would be a relief).

Day 2. Fax/YR1: has to be the sleepy mariachi. Stats/MP from the hat/pants outweigh turns spent looking for outfit/scroll parts, right? YR2 is a miner. Arrow will be... umm... maybe an Orc Chasm or DoD monster?

Day 3. Depends on where I end Day 2, but two zaps will almost certainly be a frat warrior and a tower item. Fax will be either a tower item, a brigand (if I get the hippy outfit), or a LFM. Arrow is definitely LFM.

Other logistical stuff I'm wrestling with:

-Disco Bandit or Accordion Thief? DB's have suckerpunch, which is a superior trivial skill to Sing, and I can buy combo skills in-run to increase meat/items when necessary. The case for AT is in the RnR legend helping me get into the bedroom (see below), and buying Polka in-run would help, too.

-Setting the ballroom song pre-friars. This involves getting into the bedroom at level 5, something I've never done before. Let's say I attempt to do this when my mainstat is 26. Adding in every relevant piece of equipment at that time (+22 from RnR (if AT), britches, cape, ring, and hat), madrigal (+10), tea party buff (+10), telescope buff (+8), and 3 different candy hearts (+9) gets me to exactly 85... for 10 turns. Which may not be enough turns to get through the bedroom, but I guess it's technically more optimal than sewer leveling. In any case, how do you survive the ballroom at level 5 when your buffs run out?

-Early olfaction targets-- Assistant Chef? Hellion before getting a W imp?
-Balancing olfaction targets on Day 2 (goats vs. waltzers. Always goats vs. waltzers.)

Whew-- I wound up writing a lot here. If anyone's got some additional ideas/feedback/concerns, feel free to chime in!

reverkiller
Promoter of Heck

Re: 3-day HCNP planning

Post by reverkiller » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:19 am

ema_nymton wrote: -Setting the ballroom song pre-friars. This involves getting into the bedroom at level 5, something I've never done before. Let's say I attempt to do this when my mainstat is 26. Adding in every relevant piece of equipment at that time (+22 from RnR (if AT), britches, cape, ring, and hat), madrigal (+10), tea party buff (+10), telescope buff (+8), and 3 different candy hearts (+9) gets me to exactly 85... for 10 turns. Which may not be enough turns to get through the bedroom, but I guess it's technically more optimal than sewer leveling. In any case, how do you survive the ballroom at level 5 when your buffs run out?
I read the whole thing, but just wanted to talk about this.

I just finished a pretty shitty Seal Clubber run (6/1024), but my crowning achievement of the run was getting into the Bedroom on day 1. I didn't reach level 6 day 1, so obviously I was level 5. Because I was muscle I had the Knob Goblin Crown, but I wasn't using the Tea Party buff for this so that should cancel out. Its entirely feasible. As for finishing the ballroom without your buffs running out I think that it shouldn't take much more than 10 turns, although you should run -combat to reduce the chance of getting messed up by nightstands (at least I did).

EDIT:
Don't forget your trivial (+1 Moxie) and Hairspray (+15% Moxie). They should help you stay above the buffer. You can also use your tonic MP on candy heart summons to help you stay in the Bedroom.

Liizu
Secretly Jick

Post by Liizu » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:03 am

reverkiller wrote: EDIT:
Don't forget your trivial (+1 Moxie) and Hairspray (+15% Moxie). They should help you stay above the buffer. You can also use your tonic MP on candy heart summons to help you stay in the Bedroom.
Also goofballs.

ema_nymton
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by ema_nymton » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:51 pm

I did manage to get into the bedroom on Day 1 for the first time in my current run (myst), so I imagine I'll be able to in the moxie run. I guess it's probably a good idea, though it might make it take slightly longer to get to level 6 than if I just sewer leveled.