New to Dreadsylvania? Read this!

Public forum for the discussion of strategy.
lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

New to Dreadsylvania? Read this!

Post by lotsofphil » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:14 pm

Your first priority should be getting ghost pencils (http://kol.coldfront.net/thekolwiki/ind ... ost_pencil). You'll eventually want nine of these.

You get them by having someone unlock the school house in an instance (with a http://kol.coldfront.net/thekolwiki/ind ... eleton_key ; since you're a noob, hopefully someone will help you out with the unlocking), then finding the Village Square noncombat in the Village (http://kol.coldfront.net/thekolwiki/ind ... age_Square). Then choose "The schoolhouse", then "Rummage through the teacher's desk".

You can get one pencil per instance (up to a clan-wide limit of 10 per instance). So listen in chat for available side clans where you can go find more pencils.

Once you have a pencil, when you encounter a noncombat you'll have a new choice to "Mark it with a pencil". This lets you memorize the location of the noncombat and find it whenever you want. (http://i.imgur.com/FCo8FAj.png the links at the bottom). You'll probably want to memorize the Village Square first, to make getting pencils even easier.

Rinse and repeat, 9 pencils is great.

What about survival? The monsters can be made much more difficult depending on what choices people take in the noncombats. If you're low level or poorly skilled/equipped, try and stick to easier (a.k.a. low-kiss) instances. Some things are elemental, some are physically resistant, there are curses and debuffs. Lots of stuff. But you should be able to jump in and find out for yourself.

maddsurgeon
Fie the Pie

Re: New to Dreadsylvania? Read this!

Post by maddsurgeon » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:45 pm

lotsofphil wrote:What about survival? The monsters can be made much more difficult depending on what choices people take in the noncombats. If you're low level or poorly skilled/equipped, try and stick to easier (a.k.a. low-kiss) instances. Some things are elemental, some are physically resistant, there are curses and debuffs. Lots of stuff. But you should be able to jump in and find out for yourself.
If you're confused about which monsters have which abilities and how they relate to kisses, take a look at this. It's not quite complete, but it gives you an idea of the stats of the monsters at different difficulties. Monsters in a given zone start out at 1 "kiss," each time somebody banishes an element (chat message: [player] made the [zone] less [element] but more dangerous), they move down the chart to the next level of kisses. You can do this up to five times -- once for each element. These tend to ramp up rather quickly (take a look at skeleton HP, for example), so it's a good idea to ask how many elements have been banished if you're low on equipment/skills/base stats.

There's also useful information there about what noncombats do, on a separate tab. That should be almost completely accurate, if not completely. Thanks to ungawa for starting that, and to the numerous other people who chipped in.

top1214
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by top1214 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:04 pm

Thanks, phil! This'll be super useful now that I've lazily hit level 15!

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:08 pm

If anyone wants to grab a free pencil, send me a kmail asking for a WL to my side clan

Guiseppi
Pie in the Sky

Post by Guiseppi » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:45 am

So an area can give from 1 to 6 kisses per kill. With 0 elements banished, you get 1 kiss; with all elements banished, you get 6 kisses. So if you banish all 5 elements, what are you fighting? Do all elements come back?

Also, I assume that the non-combat to banish an element is only once per instance, not per-player (like, say, the non-combat to get Freddies or to get a pencil)? So basically, if someone banishes all cold monsters from an area, they are banished for everyone and that non-combat becomes unavailable to everyone?

lightwolf
AFH

Post by lightwolf » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:16 pm

Guiseppi wrote:So if you banish all 5 elements, what are you fighting? Do all elements come back?
Yes.
Also, I assume that the non-combat to banish an element is only once per instance, not per-player (like, say, the non-combat to get Freddies or to get a pencil)? So basically, if someone banishes all cold monsters from an area, they are banished for everyone and that non-combat becomes unavailable to everyone?
Yes.

thats also where multiple instances come in. Hobo usualy being easy mode, while heck and hell are more difficult or tuned to farm specific monsters.