V-Pickpocket in a post-revamp world

Public forum for the discussion of strategy.
ungawa
AFH

V-Pickpocket in a post-revamp world

Post by ungawa » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:14 am

So, Jick seems pretty determined to keep chipping away at V-Pickpocket, the latest being removal of shield-butt to auto-hit for non-TT's. I'm not willing to give up on my v-mask yet, so I wanted to put some thoughts down about how it might work moving forward.

TT shouldn't have to change. Make a barskin or meat shield, maximize ML, buff crit% with black body spray and the GAPants, take a blocking familiar (scarecrow with swashbuckling pants?), and spam shieldbutt. Without a stench phial, it takes more than one filthworm on average, but I think it's still faster than just going for item drops alone.

I'm thinking about bashing the worms over the head with a toy accordion, using moxie buffs so their defense is within hitting range with the +50(?) hit from Crab Claw Technique. With the bonus hit, you should be able to reliably auto-attack for minimum ranged damage, since your moxie will be below their defense.
At level 12, moxie classes will have 125 moxie, so with serum of sarcasm, +hit from the toy accordion, and other random moxie buffs, it should be reasonable to get 160+ML Defense filthworms within hitting range.
Non-moxie should be able to do the same with more moxie buffs, maybe including the GAPants +100%. They'll have at least 70 moxie to start the war, so serum of sarcasm, tomato juice, and GAPants will get them to the same buffed moxie as a moxie class with just serum.

While investigating how much damage the Toy Accordion would do, I was seeing 23-24 damage per hit on monsters that had higher defense than my moxie. I'm not sure why it was doing that much, but I guess the wiki damage formula is out of date for ranged attacks. That's with Claws which I plan to unperm, but no other sources of +damage that I could find. It's a bit more damage than shieldbutt. I haven't come up with anything better.

I did a little spading of Crab Claw, and I think it's +50 to hit with accordions. I mostly hit at 40 attack below their defense, and mostly missed at 60 attack below.

I haven't been a Seal Clubber to try it out, but it sounds like thrust-smacking with a seal clubbing club could be a good option for a low damage auto-hit.

ungawa
AFH

Re: V-Pickpocket in a post-revamp world

Post by ungawa » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:02 pm

After poking around some more, it seems Disco Fever may still be applying its passive +1 damage/level damage buff, even though the revamped skill says it is a castable buff.
An alt without Disco Fever correctly does 1-2 damage when a glancing blow crits and turns into a regular hit. However, alts with Disco Fever are doing exactly +15 damage more than expected.
Unperming Disco Fever and Claws would let this toy accordion strategy do the expected 1-2 damage per attack, working better for V-Pickpocket than shieldbutt.

lostcalpolydude
Forum Maestro

Post by lostcalpolydude » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:29 pm

Bug report it?
bmaher: Softcore character
lostcalpolydude: Hardcore character (abandoned)

ungawa
AFH

Post by ungawa » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:43 pm

Yep, I did. See what happens.

ungawa
AFH

Post by ungawa » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:51 pm

Gemelli wrote:This is a known issue -- it's on our list of things to fix.

Thanks for the report!
So, with a toy accordion, Crab Claw Technique, and appropriate moxie buffs, you should be able to reliably hit for 1-2 every round, so you just have to worry about the bombs and knives from the mask killing them early.

NotJim
Pie in the Sky

Post by NotJim » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:45 pm

Still doable, yeah. DBs should summon a knife right away on day 1 so as to get the weakest one for filthworm use.

Also anyone who wants to do this please please please unperm claws and the 3x passive crit skill right now.