Tome of Smith

Public forum for the discussion of strategy.
lightwolf
AFH

Tome of Smith

Post by lightwolf » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:25 pm

Each summon gives you three items.
You acquire an item: Flaskfull of Hollow
You acquire an item: lump of Brituminous coal
You acquire an item: handful of Smithereens

Also introduces a new enchantment: +x smithsness
This will effect the bonuses on a lot of the equipment you can make, which includes stat bonus, item drop, and meat drops.

Flaskfull of Hollow:
Potion that gives you 150 turns of +25 smithsness and +x% stats (where X is smithsness). [Merry buff]

Note: Each source of smithsness buff seems to be related to its specific item. So differnet sources will stack the +smithness rather then the duration.

The Smithereens and Coal recipes are in post below.

Summary (TLDR)
1 Tome summons gives you three items. The potion, the Coal, and the Smithereens.

You can sacrifice the potion and/or coal to create more of the Smithereens.

Possible things you can create with one Tome summons worth:
* Two 20 turn Banish / Free runaways
* Two Yellow Rays
* Two Instant kill combat items
* Two 2 fullness epic food, or Booze
* Any combination of the individual items above.
* 1 Equipment, 1 of any of the items above, 150 turns of +25 smithsness
* 1 Equipment, 100 turns of +35 Smithsness, 50 turns of 25 smithsness

Possible Equipment:
* Class specific 1-h equip with various stats
* +Item off hand, based on 1X Smitheness
* +Meat off hand, based on 2x Smitheness
* Generic 1-h weapons with regen and +dmg/ini based on Smithness
* +adv or +pvp gear with resist and either HP/MP based on smithness

Sources of Smithsness include...
* 15 from 1-h acordian and offhand (+10 from main hand, off hand otherwise)
* 25 from flask
* 10 from food
* 10 from booze
* 10 from use (spleen)
* 5-15 from various other equipment slots (Pants, Hat, Acc)

To get 85 Smithness for 50-100 turns.

Smithsness can be turned into +70% item, 140% meat, 140% stat buff...
Last edited by lightwolf on Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:22 am, edited 9 times in total.

lightwolf
AFH

Re: Tome of Smith

Post by lightwolf » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:32 pm

Handful of Smithereens
* Can be used for 100 turns of +10 smithsness. (at the cost of 1 spleen, but you gain 1-2 adv)
* Can also be Pasted, cooked, or mixed with various items.
* You can paste 2 to create a flask (no longer untinkerable)
* You can pulverize the equipment to get one smithsness.

You can create 2 of the following items with each summon, if you pulverize a coal equipment.

Combat Items
Ben-Gal balm: A Free runaway / 20 turn banish
glittery mascara: Yellow Ray
hair spray: Instant kill (with stats) against non boss

Food
Cool whip: 2 fullness good food. 100 adventures of +10 smith (Dinner buff)
Gnollish pie tin: 2 fullness awesome food. 50 Adventures of +10 Smith (Dinner buff)
Pickled egg: 2 fullness epic food. (No buff)

Booze
cup of lukewarm tea: 2 liver good booze. 100 adventure of +10 smithness [Cheer]
fermenting powder: 2 liver, awesome booze. 50 adventures of +10 smithsness [Cheer]
Plain Old Beer: 2 liver epic booze. (No buff)
Last edited by lightwolf on Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:09 pm, edited 10 times in total.

lightwolf
AFH

Post by lightwolf » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:33 pm

Lump of Brituminous coal
Can be smithed with Starting items, Meatsmith items, and some new items in the General Store

Coal Smithed items can be pulverized into 1 handfull of Smithereens

Class items:
Note: Class item enchants only work for their respective class

SC: Seal Clubbing Club
  • Wpn Dmg +20%
    +5 Smithsness
    2X Smith Mus%
    25% chance for extra Fury
TT: Turtle Totem
  • +5 Familiar Weight
    +5 Smithsness
    2X Smith mus%
    Gain Turtle Spirits Favor more quickly**
    Off hand item, so cant use with Market items
PM: Starting weapon
  • +5 prism damage
    +5 Smithsness
    2X Smith Myst%
    Eminently Twistable
S: Saucepan
  • +2 Myst Stat
    +5 Smithsness
    2X Smith Myst%
    Lets you gather more Soulsauce
AT: Stolen Accordian
  • -1 MP to use Skills (-2 with AT skill)
    +5 Smithsness (+10 with AT skill)
    2X Smith %Moxie
    Has a cool Cadenza (35 cold dmg, 4 hp/mp regen)
    * 1 handed accordian
DB: disco ball
  • +25% DB Delevel
    +5 Smithsness
    2X Smith Mox%
    Knife

Meat Smith:
Items found from the meat smith in town

Sword Hilt:
  • 4-6 HP regen
    +5% Chance of Critical Hit
    +5 Smithsness
    1X Smith Weapon damage
Meat Stick:
  • 2-3 MP regen
    +5 Damage to Sleaze Spells
    +5 Smithsness
    +2X Smith Spell Damage
    Chef Staff
Crossbow:
  • 1-2 HP/MP regen
    +5% Pickpocket Chance
    +5 Smithsness
    X Smith Combat Initiative (15 cap?)

Store:
Items found in the general store

Loose purse strings:
  • +1 Stat(s) Per Fight
    Damage Reduction: 3
    +5 Smithsness
    2X Smith Meat drops
Lantern:
  • Mysticality +5
    +5 Hot Damage
    +5 Smithsness
    1X Smith Item Drops from Monsters

Basic Drops

Dirty hobo Glove:
  • Muscle +5
    +5 Smithsness
    +1X Smith ML and Does Damage in Combat based on Smithsness
Frilly Skirt:
  • Slight Resistance to All Elements (+1)
    +3 PvP fight(s) per day when equipped.
    +5 Smithsness
    +2X Smith Maximum HP
Maiden Wig:
  • So-So Cold Resistance (+2)
    +4 Adventure(s) per day when equipped.
    +5 Smithsness
    +X Smith Maximum MP
Last edited by lightwolf on Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.

lightwolf
AFH

Post by lightwolf » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:55 pm

The fiddly aspect of the Tome will come down to the trade offs of using an equipment piece vs smashing it for an extra smithereens. Every Equipment piece and Smithereens you make will be competing with the following items...

* 2 fullness epic food/booze
* Free runaway + banish
* +10 Smith bonus for 100 turns (+10 item, +20 meat, +20% main stat, +10/20 weapon/spell damage)
* Yellow Ray, if you have no other source of YR available.

Its possible to trade off 1-2 adv/fullness on the food for 50/100 turns of the +10 buff as well.

The weapons are largely quality of life, but you get a chance to create the weapons AND get something else in the process that is usually worth it. There is also the potential strategy to pulverize the equipment when you no longer need it. Such as the +adv hat on the last day of your run, or the +item lantern after you do filthworms; to get 2 extra runaways.

Sustaining Smithsness
Using smithsness probably requires at least one coal equipment to take advantage of it. Which gives a +5 smithsness bonus on its own.

Each single summons of Smithsness gives you the flask worth +25 Smithsness for 150 turns. With a second summons, you can keep this up for 300-450 turns which is close to an entire days turns. This is without using any consumable space.

You can stack the flask with one of the food/booze/spleen buffs for an extra +10 smithsness for at least 50 turns of +35 smithsness total. And will still get the +25 for the remainder of time.

In order to stack the Flask, food, booze, and spleen buffs, you would require at least 2 summons. This gets you 2 flask, 2 smithereens, and 1 extra coal which you could pulverize for a third smithereens. Doing so allows you to stack up to +55 Smithsness for 100 turns. And you would still get another 200 turns of +25 smithsness.

Compared to Other Tome Pulls:
Unbearable light / Crystal Skull: You should never need to summon these now. The Ben-gal and mascara smithereens combat items replicate these two items. If you wanted you could even get a combination of 2 banish/YR's form a single summon.

Frosty Halo: The coal lantern off hand gives X Smitheness worth of item drop. With the +25 flask that comes with the summon and including the +5 from the item itself, that gives you +30% item drop for 150 turns.

You can even buff that up further if you get the food/booze buffs or other equipment. Realistically you could get it up to 55-60% +item. And can even swap out the item off hand with the meat off hand to get 110-120% meat when you dont need the +item.

The down side is that the boosted +item only last as long as you have the buffs going. In order to keep fueling the +30% base item drop you would have to summon another flask. Though you also get an extra smithereens in the process for a runaway/banish/YR/ or epic foods.

TT's will also have to give up a shield including, their own coal equipment piece, to use the coal lantern.

Sugar Shield: Sugar Shield in HC gives +2 runaways a day, and +10 pounds for the NS Tower familiars. By comparison the Smith tome gives, at most, 2 runaways period (in addition to its other utility). The potential for runaway is not mutually exclusive. However... You could summon this day 1 of a run without missing out on the 'runaway opportunity cost'; and push the sugar shield to day 2.

Time Halo You can pick up a +4 rollover helm instead (if you are muscle sign) that also has +2 cold resist for Boo peak (QoL) and +max MP for milestones (Potentially more then you can get with a fluorescent lightbulb). You can even smash the helm at the end of your run for an extra runaway/banish item.

Of course, the time halo isn't mutually exclusive with the Maiden Wig Coal item; but the helm is probably worth getting first. Fitting time halo into your day one summons will be harder then, and it becomes less effective the less rollovers you can use it.

Both items are competing with Bucket of Wine for Turn gen. Bucket is probably worth at least +10 turn gen in CA2 (+20 as AT). The 2 smithereens are potentially worth four fullness of 5.5 adv/fullness foods or booze; which is 4-8 turn gen if you would otherwise be eating awesome quality food (or worse).

Borrowed Time still wins on the last day of your run, for +20 turn gen.

Furry halo TT's get a +5 familiar weight off hand, but the other classes do not. If the sole purpose of the furry halo is for +1 familiar runaway a day, you can get up to 2 runaways from the smithereens summon itself. The +5 to non item familiars is otherwise probably marginal, except for item/meat familiars in which case the frosty halo would have been better, which has already been mentioned above.

Ultra Fondue: As far as food filler, Smithereens can give you 4 fullness of epic food. Its a potential gain of about 8.5 turn gen over Ultra fondue. (3 fullness for 13-16 turn gen vs 4 fullness for 22 turn gen)

For ML... there is a +ML coal item (base on Smitheness) but it requires a hobo glove which you might not always pick up without going out of your way. Rather then 15 ML for 30 turns, the coal item will give you at least +30 ML for 150 turns (and +5 the rest of the time.) And like +item, it can be pushed up as high as +60ML for 100 turns with additional summons.

Shining Halo: The closest to it would be the +1 stats from the market +meat offhand coal item. The Sauceror Coal item gives an additional +2 myst stat, but you have to build a 2nd piece of equipment for it.

The hobo glove coal item gives stats by way of +ML. It offers a base of +5 ML, with at least 150 turns of +30 ML with each flask. That is +7.5 stats with current stat gains, or +15 stats in CA2.

The hobo glove is not mutually exclusive with the shining halo, so you could in theory be running both in Hardcore. If you get at least 2 flask however, the hobo glove coal item is worth getting first.

the End
If you enjoyed this cliffnotes guide, I am accepting donations of Smithereens or coal ^_^
Last edited by lightwolf on Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Draco Cracona
Gatekeeper of Hell

Post by Draco Cracona » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:23 am

Oh, man. So, no shininghalo replacement, really?

What does coal do? How much smithiness can you get each day without using food/booze/spleen, per summon? How much spleen are the spleen hits? I think I have new summons for days 1 and 2... Hat AND THalo together seem like a pretty sweet combo.

Also, what gives the free runaways? 4 from a single summon?

Draco Cracona
Gatekeeper of Hell

Post by Draco Cracona » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:45 am

Okay, looking closely:

Max smithsness without equip other than offhand is +60, that's equal to 120 hobopower. Thinking bosskiller multi uses here, but doesn't seem worth it.

One-spleen items give 1-2 advs. That's the smithereens.

greycat
AFH

Post by greycat » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:56 am

[challenge] Snarkypants: Looks like you can no longer untinker the Smiths flask?
[challenge] Gemelli: Keerect.

snarkypants
Contest Master of Heck

Post by snarkypants » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:57 am

Untinkering the flask just got nerfed, so this is no longer something that can be used to fill your stomach with epic food every day. :(

ungawa
AFH

Post by ungawa » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:26 am

Draco Cracona wrote:Okay, looking closely:

Max smithsness without equip other than offhand is +60, that's equal to 120 hobopower. Thinking bosskiller multi uses here, but doesn't seem worth it.

One-spleen items give 1-2 advs. That's the smithereens.
I think the smith lantern offhand is better item drop than the hobo outfit apart from the 5x per day you can call in the +100% item hobo.

Hodgeman's outfit uses hat, offhand, pants, and one accessory for 50% item drop (ignoring lucky sock since it's equivalent to a Mr. A Jr.) (+10% more if you have the 20 hobo power from buffs).

Using the lantern gets you that same 60% item drop, but it also frees up the hat, pants, and one accessory slot, so you can put on BHH hat and pants, and another Jr. for 65% more item drop than Hodgeman's outfit.

Even if you don't want to waste turn-gen by eating/drinking/spleeing for smithsness, the lantern with the flask outclasses a hypnodisk, so that's kinda shiny for those of us that don't have one.

Draco Cracona
Gatekeeper of Hell

Post by Draco Cracona » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:41 am

Was actually thinking for leethal/observer, but shouldn't need more than 10 total, i think.

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Post by lotsofphil » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:27 pm

Offtopic: The main reason leethal/observer have hobo power gear on is so that they can summon a hobo underling.

njwang
Pie of the Sky

Post by njwang » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:48 pm

the +item drop is nice from the lantern, it is like easy mode for all classes!

mojonix
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by mojonix » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:27 pm

It is potentially useful to summon a crystal skull, in order to have an additional banish in a single zone. Top floor of the pyramid and the lihc section of the cyrpt, and some parts of the Hidden City are the places where I can think of having two banishes being handy, although I'm not sure how much better that is than 1 banish and olfaction.

njwang
Pie of the Sky

Post by njwang » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:14 pm

i feel like this tome combined with clip art and vip key is super speed super brokenness

bitchalot
Recruiter of AFH/k

Post by bitchalot » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:53 pm

clip art is actually mostly outclassed by this :/ no reason to summon a crystal skull except in some weird niche where you have room for two summons and need both banish sources at the same time. No reason to summon halos. Pretty much the clipart is now relegated to bucket of wine, borrowed time, and time halo, and you probably aren't going to have summon room for the halo except in maybe oxy.

Draco Cracona
Gatekeeper of Hell

Post by Draco Cracona » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:23 am

bitchalot wrote:clip art is actually mostly outclassed by this :/ no reason to summon a crystal skull except in some weird niche where you have room for two summons and need both banish sources at the same time. No reason to summon halos. Pretty much the clipart is now relegated to bucket of wine, borrowed time, and time halo, and you probably aren't going to have summon room for the halo except in maybe oxy.
Furry halo is still a thing, especially in HCO. A pain to fit in early on runs with steel spleen, though.

Suendenbock
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Suendenbock » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:01 am

Furry Halo vs Sugar Shield also.

blisterguy
Master of the Coin

Post by blisterguy » Wed May 28, 2014 1:16 am

Hi everyone!

I apologise if me posting excites anyone about the prospect of me ascending competitively again, but sadly, life really doesn't allow me even a smidgeon of the time I would need to do this these days. The good news is life is awesome, because toddler, haha, weeee! *crash*

Anyway, is there a short step-by-step guide anywhere of how to use the Smith's Tome for each class? I play so infrequently these days that cutting turns isn't necessary (I always have 200 if I log in) but I'd like to at least vaguely understand what is apparently the best IotM since forever, and right now, everything written about it is long and wordy.

Thanks in advance!
blister <3

ungawa
AFH

Post by ungawa » Wed May 28, 2014 11:15 am

I guess I didn't avoid "long and wordy". TLDR:
At the cost of 3 tome summons and a pull, I get 7 free runs, 40% item drop and 40ML all run, and the ML is more than balanced by +120-200% mainstat.

Smiths has a big impact on combat for most classes (apart from improving quality of life by replacing kung fu):
Disco Bandit: Dual Wield for more than +200% moxie. Delevel until safe moxie if you're really pushing ML.
Accordion Thief: Single Wield for more than +200% moxie. Delevel until safe moxie if you're really pushing ML.
Pastamancer: Smiths class weapon turns utensil twist into a 1MP spammable killing machine.
Sauceror: Combat doesn't really change whether you have smiths or not, but dual wield for +2 mainstat on each weapon.
Seal Clubber: Dual Wield for more than +200% muscle and smash everything.
Turtle Tamer: Really? Are you sure you meant to pick this class? Just kidding, I loved my TT Class Act II runs, but the fact that their smiths class weapon is a shield kinda relegates them to a 2nd class class.

Which smiths gear you want and the order you summon them varies with class and path. In softcore, these days I make 2 class weapons and a lantern day 1, and pull the hand in glove. This means I spend most of my run with 40 smithsness, which adds up to the buffs listed above.
I can't talk to HC, but I think they make the hat and pants too, getting another +10 smithsness for most of the run.

Continue "long and wordy":
At a high level, to justify any tome summon other than smiths, it has to compete with a pair of free turn banishers (2 Louder than Bombs).
This means the other tome summons to consider are: sugar shield if you have access to familiar runs, maybe a furry halo depending on daycount, and possibly a borrowed time/time halo if turn count is tight.

But 2 Louder than Bomb free runs is just the worst case use of a smiths summon.
Each smiths summon will let you make one piece of gear and one other miscellaneous smithereen item. You will almost certainly summon enough smiths to have the +25 smithsness potion that comes with each summon up 100% of the run, and each piece of gear adds to your smithsness to make each piece of gear stronger.

You can put smiths gear in the following slots: Hat, Mainhand, Offhand, Pants, 1 Accessory
Each piece of gear provides +5 smithsness, which is worth the following:
5ML if you're wearing the smiths accessory (hand in glove)
5% item drop (light) or 10% meat drop (purse) depending on your smiths offhand
15% or 25% mainstat if you're single or dual wielding your class weapon

And the gear is just the first half of your smiths summon. For each summon, you can also make one of the following miscellaneous items of note:
Louder than Bomb - banishing combat item that is a free turn
Handsome Devil - instant kill that grants +100% item drop for that kill
Food/Drink/Spleen consumables that give 3 separate +10 smiths buffs

And for one final trick, not only has each piece of gear provided 5ML, 5% item drop, and 25% mainstat most of the run, but once you're done with it, you can pulverize it to make more Louder than Bombs to banish/run from gremlins, hedge maze golems, or anything else you've managed to leave till after the filthworms and nuns.

At the cost of 3 tome summons and a pull, I get 7 free runs, 40% item drop and 40ML all run, and the ML is more than balanced by +120-200% mainstat. This is offset a bit since I'm not getting the benefit of whatever I would have put in my hands and one accessory slot instead. If that would have been ice sickle, OP Shield, and astral belt, then instead using 3 smiths summons is neutral on stats per combat but saves me 2 pulls and adds the item drop, % mainstat, and free runs.

blisterguy
Master of the Coin

Post by blisterguy » Wed May 28, 2014 6:00 pm

Great, thanks!

I was mostly hoping for a:
Disco Bandit: make A, B, and C as early as possible.
Seal Clubber: make A, D, and E as early as possible. Requires you to find an X.
Sauceror: etc...

But what you've posted is still helpful, thanks!

Creelie
Inscrutable Pi

Post by Creelie » Wed May 28, 2014 6:44 pm

The only thing you have to "find" is dirty hobo gloves for a Hand in Glove. Everything else is buyable from NPC stores, unless for some reason you didn't go muscle sign. Extra class weapons, or cross-class weapons, will require a random number of chewing gums.

maddsurgeon
Fie the Pie

Post by maddsurgeon » Thu May 29, 2014 6:58 am

Creelie wrote:The only thing you have to "find" is dirty hobo gloves for a Hand in Glove. Everything else is buyable from NPC stores, unless for some reason you didn't go muscle sign. Extra class weapons, or cross-class weapons, will require a random number of chewing gums.
Just wanted to emphasize the bolded point -- not only for the 0-turn wigs and skirts but for the free crafting. I tried to go different signs for different reasons (clovers, factoids) but found it difficult to make all my Smiths stuff, so I think it's fair to say Smiths solidifies Gnoll as the best sign (where there has been a bit of question in the past)