Winter Garden Strategy Discussion (Jan 2014 IotM)

Public forum for the discussion of strategy.
ungawa
AFH

Winter Garden Strategy Discussion (Jan 2014 IotM)

Post by ungawa » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:52 am

The new garden item seems power-creepy enough to be likely to be the go-to garden for SCNP and HCNP (I'll let Draco weigh in on HCO ;p )

The Winter Garden produces 3 snow berries and 3 ice harvest per day, which can be spent to buy a wide variety of useful/interesting items.
wiki: http://kol.coldfront.net/thekolwiki/ind ... _Gardening
G-D (until the wiki is filled in): http://forums.kingdomofloathing.com/vb/ ... ostcount=5
One of the new items is a workshed item that adds one berry and one ice harvest to the daily yield.
Keep in mind most of the overpowered looking equipment are Quest Items, and according to Gemelli's post in G-D, they melt at rollover. It's unknown at this time if that results in getting any components back.

It seems the snow berries are the limiting factor for most speed relevant items.

The main draw seems to be Snow Boards, which act like a Keepsake Box to complete 5/30 of the bridge. At a cost of just 2 snowberries, I expect most runs to make 3 or 4 of these.

For 2D SCNP with the snow machine in your workshed:
If you were pulling 4 keepsake boxes, you'll probably instead use 4 Snow Boards and pull 4 blank out (or 3 scrip and have an extra pull). This doesn't leave much to do with your 8 ice harvests, so they could go to a (likely) perma-banish on day 2 (the Ice House) or 240 adventures of 10-15 hp regen potions.
If you were pulling a cane-mail shirt, you could use 3 Snow Boards and 2 bod-ices (25 ml shirt, +25 sleaze damage/spell damage) to save 3 keepsake box and a shirt pull.

I don't know enough about HCNP to say what's optimal, but for 3D HCNP I could imagine using 3-4 snow boards, along with a bod-ice per day, and 1-3 of the snow cleat potions (1 snow berry for 30 turns of +noncombat%!)

There's also the snow-mobile (offhand cold version of the green lantern, 3 berries, 2 ice harvest). I don't know if this actually helps with towerkilling in HC, or if that was usually done with double ice shards anyway. (And keep in mind it's one of the ones that melts at rollover).

The other potentially speed relevant item is the Unfinished Ice Sculpture (mechanically like a 4-d camera, 3 snow berries, 3 ice harvest). Outside of HCO, I'm not sure this is likely to make the cut except possibly for the nuns trick.

There are also some food and drink options, but I'll hold back on commenting until their adv ranges have been spaded.

Thoughts?

lightwolf
AFH

Re: Winter Garden Strategy Discussion (Jan 2014 IotM)

Post by lightwolf » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:33 am

I already did some speculating in GD, so i'll repost that link here: http://forums.kingdomofloathing.com/vb/ ... stcount=57

Things I learned:
* Apparently the workshed oven will duplicate the first food you make each day guarented. And otherwise has a 5% rate. Which means 2x Grue egg omelet for turn gen.

* I'm trying to figure out how to balance snow boards + NC potions over a 3 day CA2 run. Would you save smut orcs till last day?

* Think of the ML shrit as a +25ML potion that takes a shirt slot. It does not compare to the cane-mail shirt if it melts... however im not entirely sure it compares to snow boards either.

maddsurgeon
Fie the Pie

Post by maddsurgeon » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:09 pm

lightwolf wrote:I already did some speculating in GD, so i'll repost that link here: http://forums.kingdomofloathing.com/vb/ ... stcount=57

Things I learned:
* Apparently the workshed oven will duplicate the first food you make each day guarented. And otherwise has a 5% rate. Which means 2x Grue egg omelet for turn gen.

* I'm trying to figure out how to balance snow boards + NC potions over a 3 day CA2 run. Would you save smut orcs till last day?
I feel like that would end with being underlevelled, unless you really pushed out some +ML/+stat elsewhere. Though it might be worth it, especially as non-Mox, because you really feel the loss of +NC.

Serra725
AFH

Post by Serra725 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:04 pm

How long does the workshed last?

edit: I looked up the cost, and I think I can answer my own question!

Creelie
Inscrutable Pi

Post by Creelie » Sat May 31, 2014 10:03 pm

I know this is an older thread and this information is common knowledge now, but just in case someone wanders in here without knowing everything about the Winter Garden, I feel I should point out the frost flower. You harvest it along with your accumulated crops if you leave the garden alone for 3 days, and it gives 50 turns of 100% init, 100% item drop, 200% meat, and 25 ML. So it's good, but is it good enough for you to justify going 3 days without wintery goodness? That's an important strategy question that only YOU can answer! I love this kind of cost-benefit stuff :-)

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Post by lotsofphil » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:06 am

If you're not using the snow machine, then the costs are a lot lower: delayed L9. Since the L9 quest is so fast (and you likely want frost flower buff for at least 2/3 of it) this is a lot less of a cost. DNA kit making life easier :)