Towerkilling in Softcore Sneaky Pete

Public forum for the discussion of strategy.
lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Towerkilling in Softcore Sneaky Pete

Post by lotsofphil » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:28 pm

I have heard that this is "common knowledge" but have also heard people not know. So here you are. You need two things: damage and stunning.

Damage
Small golem does 5000 damage per round. Everyone can get one of these. Please note that these are not tradeable. If you're planning on trying this, make sure you budget aftercore time to obtain one.
Wrath of the Trickster God does 15% of remaining HP per round. Not everyone has a Juju Mojo Mask.
Walk Away From Explosion does 50% of total HP to one monster (due to cooldown). A possible "get out of jail free" card if something goes awry.

Stunning
Snap Fingers is awesome. With some caveats. 1) it hasn't been rigorously spaded. 2) it sure looks buggy. You get a "the stun wore off" message, then you get an extra round of stun. No real matter. Baseline appears to be 2 turns of stun. More on this below.
Smoke Break, 1 turn stagger.
Throw Shield, 1 turn stagger. Not everyone has an Operation Patriot Shield.
Rain-doh indigo cup, 1 turn stagger. Not everyone has Rain-doh.
Rain-doh blue balls, 2 turn stun. Not everyone has Rain-doh.
Super-amplified boom box, 1 turn stagger. You might want some of these if you lack OPS or rain-doh.
Gas balloons, 3-4 turn stun. If you lack Juju, these will be very welcome drops.
Attorney's badge, blocks 1/3 of attacks. You shouldn't be killing many lawyers. But you might get one.
Pantsgiving skill Pocket Crumbs, 1 turn stagger. Not everyone has Pantsgiving.
Pantsgiving skill Air Dirty Laundry, 1 turn stagger. Not everyone has Pantsgiving.

Math is here.

Special cases
* You lack OPS or Rain-doh or Smoke Break. Not a big deal. You probably just want to get some boomboxes in the war and hopefully a few gas balloons or an attorney's badge.
* You lack a Juju. This is still very doable, it will just take a lot more stunning. You'll either want to pull a game grid token (for 10 fingercuffs) or try hard for gas balloons, attorney's badge and boomboxes (versus just taking what comes your way).

Snap Fingers
Snap Fingers' duration scales with audience love. It appears to have a base of two rounds. At 50 love it is 8 rounds. You won't have 50 love since the L13 quest makes you take off your shirt. And then you might be pickpocketing at the hedge golems. But 20 love should be feasible and fine for this. Just be aware that if you're coming in with 34 hate or something, you might need to think about that. And what it tells the world about you.

ungawa
AFH

Re: Towerkilling in Softcore Sneaky Pete

Post by ungawa » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:36 pm

Pantsgiving can also stagger twice per combat.

Also, just so folk don't get a nasty surprise if they try to get one from the mall, the small golem and the parts to make it are not tradeable. It takes some time in the Rumpelstiltskin golem mask zone to train yourself to convert leather to parchment, which is required to craft the golem. This ability to make parchment is permanent across ascensions once you've mastered it once, so make sure you budget aftercore time before a speed run that will use a golem if you haven't made any before.

Suendenbock
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Suendenbock » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:42 pm

Thanks for the write up Phil. I was planning on using this on my next speedy two day attempt.

nonvegan
Pie in the Sky

Post by nonvegan » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:47 pm

Is there any reason your doc says to use the Small Golem first, Wrath of the Trickster second? By my math, reversing the order should kill the tower monster one round earlier (10th vs 11th). It would also be another chance to recharge the Juju buff since you're using a combat item.

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Post by lotsofphil » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:23 am

Thanks nonvegan and ungawa. Changes incorporated.

nonvegan
Pie in the Sky

Post by nonvegan » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:57 pm

Good stuff - thanks for posting! I'll definitely be going this route next SP run... would have saved me 3 pulls last time!

ungawa
AFH

Post by ungawa » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:19 am

Whelp, I just had the small golem fail on the 5th tower monster. I had a firework and tried to towerkill the other 5, but the 6th floor monster didn't end up taking damage from the golem. I don't know if I managed to use the golem somewhere, or if it's not guaranteed to work 5 times.
If I hadn't had to shore.... Next time nonvegan, next time ;-p

Edit: I just tested 6 small golems in aftercore.
3 worked 5 times and turned to ash on the 6th use
3 worked 4 times and turned to ash on the 5th use

nonvegan
Pie in the Sky

Post by nonvegan » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:41 pm

Ouch, what a place to inadvertently spade that mechanic!

Nice run, in any case. Where would you have finished without the Golem failure? 429?

ungawa
AFH

Post by ungawa » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:22 pm

Yea 4 turns faster without the combat loss and shoring.
I had more than 20 bombox left so I think I could have killed the last one if I'd WAFE'd right after using the trickster god, used pop wheelie until the stuns wore out, and chucked boombox, but WAFE was still on CD since I didn't think I'd need it and popped it on the war boss.