How i mine 4 fish? (returning to Hardcore advice)

Public forum for the discussion of strategy.
snarkypants
Contest Master of Heck

How i mine 4 fish? (returning to Hardcore advice)

Post by snarkypants » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:56 pm

I'm slowly shaking off some rust and dipping my toe in competitive ascensions again (both HCS&S and eventually HCNP), and I'm wondering if spreadsheeters have any answers to these questions from my last run (in which I did such clever things as spend 10 turns looking for Mr. Alarm in the Knob Goblin labs).

1. With all the revamps and the removal of delay(), what are the best turns for hipster/goth kid fights these days? The desert is an obvious one, as is the middle floor of the castle, but is there a definitive list somewhere of what zones still have delay() or otherwise benefit from zero-turn fights?
2. Where should I be using my cheerleader? With no spanglerack in S&S, it seems like there should be plenty of places I want to pull her out, but the slimeling's picketpocket ability seems like it is pretty much universally better except for non-equipment drops (I used her only in f'c'le). I plan on doing a DNA extraction on a turn 0 black crayon fish next run, but even so, slimeling seems better.
3. Am I missing something about what I should be doing with clovers? I had a bunch left over in my S&S run, despite dropping three on ores to avoid having to spend turns mining. Surely part of this is that I was running too slowly in the quests, but with no need to powerlevel at 100-ML-ish and using the grill, I'm not sure what to do with my extras.
4. Should I be able to towerkill more than 2-3 mobs in HC as a Sauceror in Type69? I used Frigidalmatian, Marinara, slimestacks, and boomboxen last run, and took down two easy-peasy, but it seems resource limited without fingercuffs and a spanglerack. (With fingercuffs and spanglerack in NP, it seems like you'd never want to farm anything for the tower ever again.)

snarkypants
Contest Master of Heck

Re: How i mine 4 fish? (returning to Hardcore advice)

Post by snarkypants » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:04 pm

Oh, and 5. Has anyone done the math on whether it's faster to look for a hobo in the Pantry with +NC or the Alley? (I presume with free runaways, the answer is the alley, but assume it's S&S and I don't have any on D1.)

maddsurgeon
Fie the Pie

Post by maddsurgeon » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:38 pm

Do the Alley with +NC for the Hobo. All the NCs are skippable, and one of them gives you the Hobo. Worst case scenario is you have to fight a couple monsters, but it's going to be quicker than the Pantry.

I use the Goth Kid in the Haunted Kitchen, Haunted Bedroom, and the Hidden Office Building as well as the Desert. Sometimes in the Friars, and it does help a bit in the Defiled Alcove.

I'd run the Cheerleader in the Defiled Nook and the A-Boo Peak as well as the F'c'le. Oh, and the Middle Chambers. There's probably some other stuff I'm not thinking of, but those are the big ones.

Towerkilling should be cake as a Sauceror. No fingercuffs can be tough, but slime stacks make up for it. I don't imagine having trouble killing three if you run the Slimeling on the Battlefield (meaning a lot of Boomboxen/Gas Balloons as well as extra slime stacks).

Good luck!

lostcalpolydude
Forum Maestro

Post by lostcalpolydude » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:08 pm

snarkypants wrote:Oh, and 5. Has anyone done the math on whether it's faster to look for a hobo in the Pantry with +NC or the Alley? (I presume with free runaways, the answer is the alley, but assume it's S&S and I don't have any on D1.)
Ignoring the math over which is better, saying that free runaway turns don't count is just wrong. If you use free runaways there, you can't use them somewhere else that day.
bmaher: Softcore character
lostcalpolydude: Hardcore character (abandoned)