I'm not Picky, I just have Good Taste

Public forum for the discussion of strategy.
LeafyGreens
Inscrutable Pi

I'm not Picky, I just have Good Taste

Post by LeafyGreens » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:37 am

So the new challenge path Picky, is out, and the main constraints are that you only get to bring 3 familiars and 11 skills with you. My understanding is that bookshelves are still intact as is buying skills from the Guild. So, what should you pick? That is the question we should debate.

Familiars

After thinking on a drunken brain for a bit I've come up with a few key functionalities I look for in familiars, and with only 3 of our little buddies to bring I want to hit as many boxes as I can. Also remember Type 69 is in effect. Here are the key things I look for from a Softcore perspective (maybe someone else can help with the Hardcore view):

Stats (volley or 'brero)
+items
+meat
Spleen items
Free fights
+ML
+MP/HP
Consumables drops (booze from medium/turkey, +ML from Grill)
Buddy bjorn usage
(YR covered by Smiths, and +init isn't worth it)

So looking at this you will want a main stat familiar and a fairy for sure. The only current spleen familiar is the Grim Brother which is a volley/leprechaun, so that covers your meat gains at the nuns since the hobo monkey isn't worth the fam slot. I would use this as my main stat familiar as well in softcore to get it leveled higher for the nuns and because the Grill gets edged out unfortunately. It also gives +combat in the bjorn, but that alone probably isn't worth the bjorn pull.

I think you have to pick the Goth Kid if you have one, because it gives you 7 free fights a day that give good stats, and I think 2 days will be really rough in SC. So in 3 days that's 21 free fights. Great turnsavings.

So the fairy decision. There are 5 I see choosing from: cheerleader, slimeling, fist turkey, grimstone golem, and hound dog. Hound dog is a better base fairy and give +combat, and the slimeling can give MP, slime stacks, and better equip drops. Either is good for a non-IoTM choice. The cheerleader I feel would get used too much as the only fairy to keep it's base weight advantage for long, as well as a lack of +fam weight skills to make it great. The golem would be the only reason to pull a bjorn unless you chose a megadrone for some reason, since it gives +noncombat and drops the mask as well. There are so many +NC items to pull I dot think it would be worth it, and the mask can be countered by 3 days worth of pulls. I would personally choose the fist turkey, for turngen plus the effects of the booze, and the +stats/meat from the combats. Pretty jack of all trades. The Jung man is an option in Hardcore probably but I'd pull the jar in SC.

So at first glance I'm looking at Grim Brother/Goth Kid/Fist Turkey.

Skills

This kind of depends on class chosen, since you need a way to handle combat. Moxie probably needs less skills, and Sauceror had the turngen, but muscle is the only one that had the guild unlock as part of the normal zone sequence, for like a 6 turn savings.

(Will examine tommorrow unless someone wants to jump in)

Draco Cracona
Gatekeeper of Hell

Re: I'm not Picky, I just have Good Taste

Post by Draco Cracona » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:45 am

From a HC PoV:

Goth Kid is certainty. I feel cheerleader is good enough too, but may not be. Not sold on the third yet.

As for skills, I'm thinking AT with:
Olfaction, sonata, smooth, Mad looting skillz, pastamastery, saucecrafting, Ode, leash, empathy, sympathy, Pulverize?
Last edited by Draco Cracona on Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Draco Cracona
Gatekeeper of Hell

Post by Draco Cracona » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:49 am

Options for third fam slot, in HC: Reanimator [can you even get to the beach early enough to get the copies in?], medium/Turkey [turngen- saves on AC/SHC perms going in], Cubeling [probably best to do one DD and wand, I think].

playultm8
Gatekeeper of Hell

Post by playultm8 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:44 am

Another upside for reanimator in HC is that it's a fairy that doesn't care much about +weight. You can build up a 50lb fairy on day 1, and it even produces volley stats at weight level. Add in a FotY spleener of your choice to cover the nuns, and you have a lot of bases covered already. Cubling vs Goth Kid is a discussion for others, since I'm too cheap to buy the Kid 3 months before it rotates out. :)

Draco Cracona
Gatekeeper of Hell

Post by Draco Cracona » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:52 am

playultm8 wrote:Another upside for reanimator in HC is that it's a fairy that doesn't care much about +weight. You can build up a 50lb fairy on day 1, and it even produces volley stats at weight level. Add in a FotY spleener of your choice to cover the nuns, and you have a lot of bases covered already. Cubling vs Goth Kid is a discussion for others, since I'm too cheap to buy the Kid 3 months before it rotates out. :)
I guess reanimator frees up the sympathy/empathy/leash slots- do you really need those with a reanimator? that would let you take carl/musk/accordion appreciation as an AT.

LeafyGreens
Inscrutable Pi

Post by LeafyGreens » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:16 pm

I totally forgot about the reanimator, that seems like a pretty good pick too instead of the turkey.

reverkiller
Promoter of Heck

Post by reverkiller » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:40 pm

I think another interesting question here is what class to take.

I personally took Sauceror into HCP (because Sauce 4 lyfe), and took the following skills:

Sonata
Smooth Movements
Saucemaven
Olfaction
Weaksauce
Cocoon
Pastamastery
Mad Looting Skills
Ode to Booze
Pulverize
Song of Sauce

1 QoL skill, 1 Combat Skill. I took these skills with the idea of going for a reagent pasta consumption path. Another possibility that has been brought up in chat is going with a Fish Taco consumption path, which would remove Saucemaven and Pastamastery as skills, leaving up options for more +item or +ML.

For familiars I took

Artistic Goth Kid
Fist Turkey
Reanimator

Turkey for items/stats/turngen, Goth Kid for obvious reasons, and Reanimator for winking. It will likely be a 60-75% Turkey run because it gives solid stats.

playultm8
Gatekeeper of Hell

Post by playultm8 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:27 pm

I went into this HC run with the reanimator as my primary fairy. It's great for item drops, but I suspect I'm giving up too much in the way of booze, HP, and combat help I could get with the turkey. You may need turkey booze just to generate enough for 3-day HC. I'll be switching to turkey next run, using the reanimator for winks only.

I'm running with similar base skills. I have musk, which I would probably leave behind. Only issue there is the plan to wink at assassins for the level 8 quest. Don't those require a net positive +C to even appear? I didn't bring pulverize, but I'll try it out next run for more smiths stuff plus wads.

reverkiller
Promoter of Heck

Post by reverkiller » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:36 pm

playultm8 wrote: I'm running with similar base skills. I have musk, which I would probably leave behind. Only issue there is the plan to wink at assassins for the level 8 quest. Don't those require a net positive +C to even appear?
I do have a solution to this problem, but it isn't perfect. I am YRing a hippy at the end of day 1 to get a reodorant. I am eating a Junkyard dog and using the reodorant and praying to the RNG gods that I get the assassin within 10 turns.
I also have a theory that the forcing of the assassin is turns spent in the zone, not just turns with a net positive combat modifiers. If that is true, all you would need to do is spend 2 turns (or just 1?) in the zone without combat modifiers to force it in 11 turns.

I will do a little spading of this either on a multi or after this run (which I got it within the first 10 turns)

wyli romesco
Spy vs. Pie

Post by wyli romesco » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:04 am

Thoughts on having completed a first HC run (and making adjustments for a 2nd)...

Not taking Pulverize was idiotic - missed out on all those sweet extra banishers and yummy epic comsumables from smashing up spare Smith's gear. Even the +10 Smithness from chewing Smithereens seems like it has potential utility for levelling/+ML. Also, wads.

I suspect that the Reanimator is optimal (because slaw told me it is), but I didn't have too bad a time without him first time out, so I'm opting to take the Turkey in his place for my second run. No doubt, this time the lfms will make me pay for such hubris and I wll end up crying like a little girl (in clan chat - see you there :) ). Turkey chosen cos booze (with added bonus +item drop), and a major screw-up on my first run was not generating enough turns from consumables to hit prism in four days. Final fam selection: Turkey, Goth Kid (no brainer), and Grimstone Golem (proved handy for all the usual reasons - bridge building, desert exploration, fish dna... think I might try grabbing a polo trophy second time around, for either the Cranny, or the Tavern Cellar, or both :)).

Took Tao the first time and I'm sticking with it as my stayin'-alive skill of choice. Everyone else seems to have picked cocoon but I say prevention over cure.

Sticking with AT. All essential combat skills are available to purchase in-run pretty early on. Cadenza/Bash/Plink/Rinse/Repeat will pretty much toast anything at the +ML levels available. I originally avoided choosing any 'up-front' AT skills, but have revised my starting eleven to include Sonata and Ode.

Sticking with astral belt and aeds for now. And that's me ready to go again.