Mad Hatrack and hat drops

This is where you spade, shovel and sickle. Or is it reap?
Antipasta
AFH

Mad Hatrack and hat drops

Post by Antipasta » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:55 pm

I spent a few turns today trying to get a feel for how much the naked hatrack boosts hat drops, not quantitative spading but rather looking for a qualitative answer to the question: which is better when looking for hats, the plain hatrack, or a fairy?

I chose the outskirts of the knob because two of the monsters drop hats with a decent drop rate. I had +85% item drops from effects and equip. 30 lb hatrack, no hat. Here's what I saw:

Code: Select all

base drop    +85% drop                                   observed
                rate (wiki)    rate         encounters     hat drops    drop rate
asst chef
  (chef hat)      33.5%         62.0%          41            33             80.5%
sleeping guard
  (viking hat)    31.5%         58.3%          44            33             75.0%

So consistent with a 15-20% boost to hat drops, and enough to answer the question of hatrack vs fairy: definitely fairy.

I probably won't pursue this further, mostly because my spading multi isn't getting a hatrack from me anytime soon, but I did have some questions in case I do chase after more data:
- is there a better place to do this?
- how solid are the wiki numbers?
- when a familiar gains a lb after a combat, does the extra weight affect that fight's item drops? (or other post combat familiar stuff, for non-fairy types).

QuantumNightmare
AFH

Post by QuantumNightmare » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:19 pm

Chef hat: 33.5% base drop, you found 80.5% rate. That's a +140% drop rate. 85% of that came from your effects apparently, so you're left with an unexplained +55% item drops.
Viking hat: 31.5% base drop, you found a 75% rate. Again, that's a +138% drop rate. 85% came from effects, so you're left with an unexplained +53% items.

This is consistent with a +50% hat drop, which is consistent with other equipment boosters. Pilgrim shield boosts weapon drop rate by 50%, naughty shuriken boosts pant drop rate by 50%. I'd expect the hatrack to have the same bonus, which it seems to have in these very small sample sizes.

Re:wiki. Don't trust item drop numbers, use them only as a vague guide. They have relatively large margins of error: for real testing, a 99%/100% sample is needed. That hasn't been done for any individual items, just for effects.

Re:familiar gains. I think gaining a pound after combat doesn't effect after combat familiars on the same page load, but not sure. I excluded that data from the leprechaun spading project for this reason. Easy way to spade this would be to apply over +500% meat drops, adventure with a leprechaun in the beanbats and record the meat drop when it gained a pound. That would give a definitive test.

EDIT: on the pageload where a leprechaun gains a pound, it acts as if it has not yet gained weight. A 26 pound leprechaun (going on 27) dropped 204 meat with +438% meat applied. That is only possible for a 26 pound leprechaun, not a 27 pound leprechaun.

QuantumNightmare
AFH

Post by QuantumNightmare » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:59 pm

Some testing: 22-29 pound hatrack, with a brimstone beret (volley+lep). +106% item drops applied for the duration of spading.

Code: Select all

base drop    +106% drop                                  observed
                rate (wiki)    rate         encounters     hat drops    drop rate
asst chef
  (chef hat)      33.5%         69.0%          65            47             72.3%
sleeping guard
  (viking hat)    31.5%         64.9%          60            38             63,3%

Looks like no effect when the hatrack has a hat equipped. More testing needed without a hat equipped to confirm bonus.

salien
Pie in the Sky

Post by salien » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:32 am

Huh, yeah, I had thought the sleazy back alley with the bum cheeks would be best for this, but the outskirts is better having 2 high-base-rate distinct hats and only 4 monsters. It would be good to run turns there with +233% drop and +234% drop, though, and get a failure of each hat to drop in the first case and no missed drops in the second for a few hundred turns, to confirm a base rate of pretty much exactly 30%.

I'm willing to bet the hatless rack bonus is +50%, though, for the same reasons QN lists.

Antipasta
AFH

Post by Antipasta » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:05 am

QuantumNightmare wrote:Chef hat: 33.5% base drop, you found 80.5% rate. That's a +140% drop rate.

Man, can I not do math. Thanks!

Residium
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by Residium » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:55 pm

FYI: jick has stated on the radio show, that the hat rack has a hat drop increase, if no hat is equiped!