Stick-on eyebrow piercings and your shadow

This is where you spade, shovel and sickle. Or is it reap?
Antipasta
AFH

Stick-on eyebrow piercings and your shadow

Post by Antipasta » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:49 am

The stick-on eyebrow piercings, from the new "Tasteful" grimoire, will block a few of your opponent's attacks if your moxie is not too far below safe moxie. So normally this means it only blocks attacks that wouldn't do much damage.

But somebody in my multi's clan tried it against the shadow and got 100% blocks, taking zero shadow damage!

We didn't have a character very well-placed for spading, but it looks like at moxie 146 and up the eyebrow piercing blocked all shadow attacks, and at 145 and below did nothing.

--

Also, I'd never had a reason to wonder what the shadow's attack and defense were, exactly, because it had never mattered. This gives a pointer. The fact that it had such a sharp cutoff - exactly 146 triggers a switch from zero action to 100% - makes me think that stick-on piercings might be pretty useful for spading monster attack value.

csemaj
AFH

Post by csemaj » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:08 am

I was curious to try the studded belt against the Shadow and NS as well, since it absorbs 100% of the damage from an attack for several hits.

QuantumNightmare
AFH

Post by QuantumNightmare » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:18 pm

That's interesting. This should be tried against monsters with no variation such as +ML bunnies (1 attack plus whatever +ML you're running, no variation), and see how low your defence can go before the belt stops blocking attacks.

Once that is figured out, we can try against monsters who do show variation (such as treasury, low spread of variation) and see if it varies depending on base attack or varied attack.

Antipasta - you've posted a lot of very unique spading lately. I'm impressed!

Pascal
Inscrutable Pi

Post by Pascal » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:14 pm

csemaj wrote:I was curious to try the studded belt against the Shadow and NS as well, since it absorbs 100% of the damage from an attack for several hits.

I was curious and tried the studded belt against Spookyraven to see if it had any impact on his initial elemental attack.

It did not.

I haven't tested this further, but has there been any spading on whether this works on physical damage exclusively rather than elemental?

Antipasta
AFH

Post by Antipasta » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:19 pm

Pascal wrote:I was curious and tried the studded belt against Spookyraven to see if it had any impact on his initial elemental attack.

The studded belt seems to absorb only small attacks (wiki guesses up to 30HP damage) and falls apart when the cumulative damage reaches 30 (or whatever).

Against bigger hits, it doesn't do anything at all except maybe the 1 DR in the description.

So it's not very useful - wearing a +30HP accessory like a bejeweled pledge pin is at least as good, or better since you can heal more.

Antipasta
AFH

Post by Antipasta » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:22 pm

QuantumNightmare wrote:This should be tried against monsters with no variation such as +ML bunnies (1 attack plus whatever +ML you're running, no variation)

Voila, the results: against bunnies, the eyebrow piercing starts blocking when moxie = monster attack, minus 9.

[edited to add poop deck data]
And on the poop deck, the block/no block decision looks like it's based on the variable monster level, not the "nominal" value of 120. If it depended on the nominal 120 monster level, I would see no blocks at moxie 110, and 100% blocks at moxie 111, but I saw a mix. So the eyebrow piercing isn't a magic detector of the nominal monster level, before variance.

Also, not in the data, but using a curdflinger as a weapon (delevels when it hits), I saw the eyebrow piercing start blocking after a few hits, so it was basing its block/no block decision on the current monster state.

[edited again - it works on Lord Spookyraven!]
The piercing blocks Lord Spookyraven, including the key first elemental blast, for moxie 156 or higher, with no variation.

Code: Select all

Dire Warren

moxie   result   (ML +54, bunny attack = 55)
-------------------------------------------------
43      no block
44      no block
45      no block
46      block
47      block
48      block
49      block

moxie   result   (ML +44, bunny attack = 45)
33      no block
34      no block
35      no block
36      block
37      block

moxie   result   (ML +39, bunny attack = 40)
28      no block   
29      no block
30      no block
31      block   
32      block

moxie   result   (ML +29, bunny attack = 30)
19      no block
20      no block
21      block
22      block

moxie   result   (ML +24, bunny attack = 25)
14      no block
15      no block
16      block
17      block

Poop Deck

moxie    result (monster attack = 120, +- variance)
110      block:    6
         no block: 4

111      block:    4
         no block: 6

Lord Spookyraven

moxie    blocked?
154      no (6/6)
155      no (6/6)
156      yes (6/6)
157      yes (6/6)

It's something we figured out over in my multi antimarty's clan, Old CW's - antimarty is "Director of R&D" there. I cross posted it not because beating your shadow is anything we need help with here, but rather because it's a cool mechanic that might do double duty for monster level spading. It's not a piece of Old CW's sekrit tech, but that's where the credit for the shadow idea belongs.
Last edited by Antipasta on Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

QuantumNightmare
AFH

Post by QuantumNightmare » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:26 pm

That's a great result! Next useful place to test: poop deck or belowdeck. Poop deck has 120 base ML (115-125 varying ML), belowdecks has 140 base ML (135-145 varying ML). All monsters in both zones are identical.

So set moxie to base ML-9, and see if any attacks go through.

EDIT: Antipasta did this spading, and posted the results above. It works!

QuantumNightmare
AFH

Post by QuantumNightmare » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:04 am

I wonder what this does against Dr Awkward? In other words, with a high enough moxie is it possible for this to block his attack and then kill him with non-fumbling items? That would make the whole backfarming thing there redundant.

salien
Pie in the Sky

Post by salien » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:15 pm

I thought the first Dr. Awkward encounter was a noncombat? It doesn't even use an adventure. It also doesn't trigger the personal massager.

Seal Lubber
AFH

Post by Seal Lubber » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:32 pm

salien wrote:I thought the first Dr. Awkward encounter was a noncombat? It doesn't even use an adventure. It also doesn't trigger the personal massager.

Probably true, but if somebody sends a piercing to Soda Seven I can give it a shot.

Antipasta
AFH

Post by Antipasta » Sun May 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Looks like the eyebrow piercing got nerfed vs. your shadow. I got hit for normal damage with what should have been sufficient moxie (157). Confirmed by another player at moxie 198.

Oh well.

QuantumNightmare
AFH

Post by QuantumNightmare » Sun May 04, 2008 10:38 pm

Sorry about that....

EDIT: I tried this against Dr Awkward I, with over 600 moxie. Eyebrow didn't fire. Looks like a noncombat.
Last edited by QuantumNightmare on Mon May 05, 2008 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

alacrity
AFH

Post by alacrity » Sun May 04, 2008 11:55 pm

Ya know, it's kind of annoying that we discover interactions that we then make known to the larger community to BENEFIT THE GAME and tptb randomly decide that it's not a synergy, it's a bug, and fix it.

bizkut
Inscrutable Pi

Post by bizkut » Mon May 05, 2008 9:20 am

And it's funny how they say on the radio show that they like to see spading done on their forums. Yet their actions show much to the contrary.