Day 1 Hobopolis strategy

This is where you spade, shovel and sickle. Or is it reap?
Prestige
AFH

Day 1 Hobopolis strategy

Post by Prestige » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:06 pm

EDIT: Strategy information is now moving to zone-specific threads in this forum. Look for it there.

HOBOPOLIS
ELEMENTAL ZONES
Hobopolis proper has several elemental sub-zones. Each one is like the island war in that it has multiple images, indicating degree of completion. Also like the war, the side zones open one at a time, after fighting in the center "town square" zone. Killing monsters in each zone helps clear it, but it seems certain choice adventures in these zones also help, if the right choices are made.

When each subzone is cleared, its boss can be fought. I'm going to assume all the sub-bosses need to be killed before Hodgman, the final boss can be reached.

SCAREHOBOS
Scarehobos are made out of six body parts. They correspond to the 5 elements and physical.

Cold=Eyes, Hot=Boots, Sleaze=Crotches, Spooky=Skulls, Stench=Guts, Physical=Skins

To make hobos in the town square drop body parts, you must kill them, with a very large elemental attack. The element of the drop will match the element of your attack. I'm not sure how hobos in the elemental subzones work, but it is not as easy to get them to drop parts. Apparently making scarehobos will speed access to the boss, so we want to make a lot of them. It would be a good idea to communicate with others as to which body parts they're farming.
Last edited by Prestige on Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:30 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Seal Lubber
AFH

Post by Seal Lubber » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:39 pm

The most efficient way would be to read up throughout the day and then build on that a couple of hours before rollover. Nobody will finish in a day, so there's no harm waiting.

lostcalpolydude
Forum Maestro

Post by lostcalpolydude » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:57 pm

Seal Lubber wrote:The most efficient way would be to read up throughout the day and then build on that a couple of hours before rollover. Nobody will finish in a day, so there's no harm waiting.

Jick predicted 15k turns for the first dives through. If there's a large clan out there that got everyone prepared, then it would only take about 50 people to brute force their way through in one day, and that's assuming cheap consumables used. Forty people could do it with good consumables. I pretty much ignored what clans did before becoming a member of AFHk though, so I don't have any idea if there are any clans that would be willing and able to get together to do that.
bmaher: Softcore character
lostcalpolydude: Hardcore character (abandoned)

Prestige
AFH

Post by Prestige » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:19 am

For now, we have no choice but to wait anyway. I'm definitely going to be reading up in the mean time.

As for a clan brute forcing it on day one, yeah I think it's possible.

lostcalpolydude
Forum Maestro

Post by lostcalpolydude » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:05 am

Grabbed from another clan forum (viewable as a guest): for hobopolis, richard operates as sidequests do during the frat-hippy war

Seal Lubber
AFH

Post by Seal Lubber » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:09 am

Fastest Hobopolis Runs:
Clan Participants Turns
Iocaine Powder 22 6,500

We've got 19 people currently level 13 or higher, so we might have to bring that turn-count down to fit in a first-day dive. Saying that, IP's forum has a guide for clearing the first part and more information will certainly come through about the rest of the dungeon.

EDIT:
You can see the general idea of the HoboTown - do sidequests and knock hobo's out of the middle, Battlefield style:
Image 0
Image 26
If you're going for lowest turncount, you probably won't want people doing the middle while a side-quest is unfinished. Maybe people with less skills/equipment/expensive buffs can do the middle grind, while others do side-quests, depending on what they require.

Prestige
AFH

Post by Prestige » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:59 am

Yeah, IP's forum is interesting.
http://www.iocainepowder.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=47

Quite a bit of strategy being figured out there. I'm just going to link a couple of the more interesting topics:

First off, getting through the sewers:
http://www.iocainepowder.org/forums/vie ... php?t=5261

Then, building scarehobos:
http://www.iocainepowder.org/forums/vie ... php?t=5262

Sounds like something we could handle... you know, once Hades logs on and we can actually open the damn thing.

bottomer
Pie in the Sky

Post by bottomer » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:36 am

I'm level 20, if someone can let me in.

Prestige
AFH

Post by Prestige » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:55 am

I updated the top post. Expect it to be continually updated.

Bottomer, both AfH and Heck don't have their dungeons open yet, as only the clan leader can issue the permissions to open it. Hades hopefully will open AfH's soon, but Heck might have a bigger problem if Pascal is not active. You may have to open a side clan, if there's no better option.

issues
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by issues » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:49 pm

KOLA Just Brute Forced it through

Tissen
Inscrutable Pi

Post by Tissen » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:56 pm

Do we have any admin present in BAfH? We could open one instance there as well.

lostcalpolydude
Forum Maestro

Post by lostcalpolydude » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:25 pm

Tissen wrote:Do we have any admin present in BAfH? We could open one instance there as well.

Not "any admin" can do it, it requires Pascal to change permissions for us.