The Sewer

This is where you spade, shovel and sickle. Or is it reap?
Prestige
AFH

The Sewer

Post by Prestige » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:23 pm

Each player in the dungeon has to finish the sewer before unlocking access (for themselves) to the rest of Hobopolis.
http://kol.coldfront.net/thekolwiki/ind ... er_Tunnels

Your progress in the sewer is indicated by the extra tunnel graphics that appear on the container document. When All 6 rows of the sewer show up, you're finished.

To pass the sewer, you want the following in your inventory:
3 oil of oiliness (cook decaying goldfish liver with a reagent -- Saucerors should do this, as they get 3 oils)
1 sewer wad (malused from 5 sewer nuggets)
1 unfortunate dumpling (wok of ages C. H. U. M. chum + msg + dry noodles)
1 bottle of Ooze-O (use the still to improve bottle of sewage schnapps)
1 gatorskin umbrella (armorcrafted from goatskin umbrella + gator skin or titanium umbrella + gator skin) --you have to equip this

Having these items will help you in the "tunnel" choice adventures, which then speeds you through the sewer faster than normal adventuring. (You can get through without these items, but it will take longer.) Stay stocked up on each type of item, to take maximum advantage of your tunnel trips.

In order to make these items, we need to cooperate. Place raw materials in the stash. If you have access to the malus, still or wok, help out by making these items and placing extras in the stash.

Grates
There are grates that can be opened by the first ones through. It seems they help later trips through the tunnels to be more effective.

Valves
There is also a choice adv to turn a valve, which can lower water level, up to a point. I'm going to guess this is good. If the water level is already low, trying the valve doesn't cost an adventure.
Theory: Lowering water level lowers combat rate in the zone.

Hobo Glyphs and Signs
There's a hobo code binder from hobopolis town square that helps you decode hobo glyphs. Codes are added to the binder by adventuring various areas. (See the code binder thread for more info.) Having codes will help you navigate in the sewer tunnel adventures, if you have the binder equipped. This will get you through the sewer faster.

Escaping the Cage
There is a sewer adventure that traps a player in a cage with losing 10 adventures as the only escape. Another player must adventure in the sewer until they get a choice adventure to "Head down the ladder". This will allow them to rescue the trapped player.

We are using a strategy where we purposefully strand one player in the cage and leave him there, so no one else will have to deal with it. So at this point, unless you hear otherwise, do not attempt to rescue anyone from the cage.

Once someone passes the sewer, they can not go back into the zone.

Prestige
AFH

Post by Prestige » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:51 pm

We always seem to be low on umbrellas, dumplings, and Ooze-o.

If you have armorcraftiness, please help us make umbrellas.

If you have Still access, do your part.

Everyone please contribute all your CHUM chum to the stash, and of course Wok people can help by cooking. You may even want to try olfacting the CHUM that drops chum on your way through the sewers. (The CHUMs holding the stick and the ones holding a dagger in their right hand drop chum. Or maybe they all do. Or maybe they're all the same monster different images. Anyway, it's worth a try.)

greycat
AFH

Post by greycat » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:09 pm

The CHUM with the stick seems to drop more chum than the others. Or I could be misled by a small sample size. In any case, sniffing them isn't a bad idea, since dumplings seem to be the most precious.

The strategy where we sacrifice one person to the cage is VERY important. We need a volunteer every run -- ideally, someone who will be available to enter the sewer as soon as the run starts, but who doesn't want to play the bulk of their turns right away. It works out sort of well for me if the run begins right after rollover, because I'll just go to sleep for 6-8 hours after that, but I can't do it every time.

The other half of this strategy is just as important. When the sacrifice has been trapped, he should click "wait for rescue" precisely one time. The first person to reach the ladder adventure after that should climb down the ladder to free him. What this does is unlocks the cage, but the captured person is still in the (unlocked) cage. The captured person can leave at any time by clicking "wait for rescue" a second time -- ideally, a long time later, when nearly everyone else has already made it through the sewer.

There are 20 valves and 20 grates in the sewer. The first people in should turn/open these until they're all finished. This minimizes the loss of crafted sewer items and the number of unnecessary combats (we suspect).

People who have their binders should, at some stage, upgrade them by finding the hobo glyphs scattered around the kingdom (see other thread). When the valves and grates are all open and people are ready to start exploring tunnels, they should equip the gator umbrella and the binder, for maximum efficiency.

Prestige
AFH

Post by Prestige » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:05 am

We had an idea in chat. Next time we restart the dungeon, have the first (or one of the first) people in wear the SCUBA gear. Look for a possible special encounter. I say we should try it early because that's when the water level is high.

greycat
AFH

Post by greycat » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:56 am

A devster told me that the "leave someone half-freed" trick for the sewer is supposed to be "fixed" now. :( :x

Prestige
AFH

Post by Prestige » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:22 pm

I thought I heard TPTB on the radio say the "sacrificial lamb" trick was somethng they intended people to do. So is it just the half-freeing part that they fixed? If so, that's not a big deal, since optimal play is going to involve having someone else in the sewers to help when the sacrificial lamb comes out, anyway.

tannenzaepfle
Spy vs. Pie

Post by tannenzaepfle » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:21 pm

We could probably save a few more turns on the run if we had our sacrificial lamb not even finish the sewers. We'd send somebody in with high non-combats so they get stuck early on and leave them half-freed until everybody is through. This saves us having to re-free the person for the remainder of the sewer, as long as we get enough people through to do hobopolis. If it takes maybe thirty adventures even with a full code binder, by adding one person we shave off that many turns.
Tannenzaepfle (#1185696)

greycat
AFH

Post by greycat » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:42 pm

Well. We don't know for sure that our trick has been disabled; just because a devster told me he thinks it's fixed, doesn't necessarily mean that (a) the code change actually fixes it, and (b) the fix was "pushed" to the public servers....

If the current trick is blocked off, then we can consider using this variant:
  1. Lamb #1 gets stuck in a cage.
  2. Lamb #2 gets the ladder adventure but does not climb down the ladder yet.
  3. All non-lambs finish going through the sewer. Nobody else is allowed in the sewer.
  4. Lamb #2 descends the ladder. Lambs are now free to farm outside Hobopolis, or whatever.
  5. Non-lambs finish off Hobopolis, and we flood it.

This requires two people willing to leave their turns unplayed for the duration of the sewer part. It also requires that all the players do the sewer at approximately the same time.

Prestige
AFH

Post by Prestige » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:06 pm

I was the lamb and half-freed earlier today. Half-free trick still works apparently.

Pendulass
Pie in the Sky

Post by Pendulass » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:03 pm

Prestige wrote:I was the lamb and half-freed earlier today. Half-free trick still works apparently.

That's good to know

greycat
AFH

Post by greycat » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:56 pm

Current theory is that the sewer starts out with a noncombat rate of 5%, and that this increases when the valves are opened.

This same theory states that getting captured in the CHUM cage is also a noncombat (hence, suppressable with +combats, if your intention is to farm the sewers).

I got a noncombat with +5% combat effects, with all 20 valves opened.

Edit: Got another noncombat with +10% combat effects, with all 20 valves opened. It took a while to show up, though.

Edit^2: Crap! Got another with +15% combats. Didn't even take long.

greycat
AFH

Post by greycat » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:39 pm

100 combats got me through the sewer. Even though I didn't want to get through. I also had to eat 3 sets of bars. :x

greycat
AFH

Post by greycat » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:02 pm

+20% combats. 20 valves opened.

1=leftknife 2=knifeguts 3=rightknife 4=stick 5=lantern z=zombie_goldfish J=DisgustinJunction g=gator

_=adventured outside the sewers

sniff 1
z4_253_4212153JgJ21gg32z35342J45z4g4331
(olfaction is now worn off)
zg2 = sniff
42145533z2313542z23215z5244z3gg2g431542
(olfaction is now worn off)

Turns in sewers: 79
Noncombats: 3 (all were converted to combats) (3.8%)

Turns spent on the trail of CHUM: 76
Zombie goldfish: 7
Gator: 7
CHUM1: 8
CHUM2: 14
CHUM3: 14
CHUM4: 13
CHUM5: 10
Noncombat: 3

Hypothesis 1: Sewer noncombat rate = 5% + 1% for every valve opened.

Hypothesis 2: CHUM is a single monster with 5 images.

I did not record item drops or pickpocketing results. Anecdotally, no chum ever dropped, but much of it was pickpocketed. Initially it appeared that CHUM2 (knife + guts) gave the best chum pickpocketing results (possibly even 100%), but later I did fail on a couple. No meaningful theory to propose here. More data needed.

Prestige
AFH

Post by Prestige » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:09 pm

Yours and a lot of anecdotal evidence suggests that chum has low (but not zero) drop rate, yet a very high pickpocket rate.

Oh by the way, according to others, if a player passes all 6 tests in a single tunnel adventure (3 glyphs passed, 2 items needed, and 1 open grate), that player will immediately bypass the rest of the sewer. Something for those with a lot of codes to look forward to.

Seal Lubber
AFH

Post by Seal Lubber » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:19 am

Cankergirl wrote:YES NO YES NO YES YES
YES NO YES NO YES YES
YES NO YES NO YES NO
YES NO YES NO YES YES
YES NO YES NO NO YES
YES NO YES NO NO YES
YES NO YES NO YES YES
YES NO YES NO NO NO
YES NO YES NO YES YES
done

0 kills.

I think the moral there is that having all the extra ingredients will save you a few turns tops. In particular, chum is worth a pretty penny and might be best off just selling while the going's good.

QuantumNightmare
AFH

Post by QuantumNightmare » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:03 am

Chums have a very high pickpocket rate - I received 9 while opening the sewer for AFH as a sauceror. How?

Adventure until you reach a chum, sniff him. Use a gong and choose form of bird. Pickpocket all chums, receive their chum chums. Profit!