C. H. U. M. chieftain - effect of this combat

This is where you spade, shovel and sickle. Or is it reap?
lostcalpolydude
Forum Maestro

C. H. U. M. chieftain - effect of this combat

Post by lostcalpolydude » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:53 am

Going into this spading, there were two possibilities I considered. The first is that killing the chieftain would count as more than 1 kill, kind of like taking the tunnel. The second possibility is that they would count as 1 kill, and the only thing gained from this semi-rare was a clan trophy, almost a waste of a semi-rare.

Spading method: Do at least one sewer run with a chieftain fight and at least one without. The sewer will be completely done with combats, except for opening valves and grates which are assumed to have no impact on my sewer progress. Compare the results of the runs.

Run #1: I killed a chieftain. The log showed 99 combats (30 gators, 40 CHUM, 29 goldfish), 9 grates, 6 valves, plus 1 turn for actually finishing up the sewer. The chieftain did not get its own entry in the log. Figure out how chieftain fights affect the log.

Run #2: Check the log before and after killing the chieftain this time.

Before the semi-rare: 21 gators, 32 chums, 22 goldfish, 3 grates, 7 valves
After the semi-rare: 21 gators, 32 chums, 22 goldfish, 3 grates, 7 valves

The log was completely unchanged by killing the chieftain

Finished with: 29 gators, 39 chums, 31 goldfish, 4 grates, 8 valves, plus 1 turn to finish the sewer

Tentative conclusion: CHUM chieftains count for absolutely nothing. They don't speed up the sewer and they don't count on the log anywhere. Need to do a run without a chieftain for comparison.

Run #3: Today's adventuring will have no CHUM chieftains, it will merely confirm the results achieved when none are used. All of the valves and gates are done already, so those aren't a factor.

End result: 37 CHUMs, 34 gators, 29 goldfish, for a total of 100 combats.

Previously I had 99 combats in the log to finish up when I killed a CHUM chieftain. Therefore, the chieftains count for exactly 1 kill as far as sewer progress goes. They don't show up on the log at all. Since the final turn count shown by the game matches what DrEvi1's script shows for runs where chieftains were killed, chieftains really don't count toward the total turns spent in hobopolis.

CONCLUSION: Killing C. H. U. M. chieftains gives you 1 kill of progress in the sewer without adding a turn to the run.
bmaher: Softcore character
lostcalpolydude: Hardcore character (abandoned)

lostcalpolydude
Forum Maestro

Post by lostcalpolydude » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:27 pm

So I was reading this thread, where I ended up posting to correct some info about the chieftain based on the spading here. Their thread mentioned puttying a chieftain (I have no idea why), something that wasn't possible when I created this thread a year ago. Now I'm wondering if puttied chieftains count toward sewer progress and could potentially be used to cut a turn off these sewer trips under the right circumstances.

Kelemvor
AFH

Post by Kelemvor » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:18 pm

lostcalpolydude wrote:Now I'm wondering if puttied chieftains count toward sewer progress and could potentially be used to cut a turn off these sewer trips under the right circumstances.

My last hamster run included by necessity a number of folks who had fewer than 20 hobo codes, so those who were capable of doing so puttied and fought 5 chieftains after opening grates and before going through the sewers.

Those who puttied and had 20 codes made it through in 6 adventures, while those who had 20 codes and did not putty made it through in 7.

Anecdotal in the extreme, of course - I don't mean this to be proof, only an indication that the answer is likely yes.

lostcalpolydude
Forum Maestro

Post by lostcalpolydude » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:33 pm

That looks like proof to me. Also, for anyone without 20 codes, it's probably best to wait and see if those 6 fights will actually clear the sewer before spending up to 6 turns on them. (Getting 6 of these fights in one day means finding the semi-rare again on a later day to reputty, which is probably a bad idea if the plan is hamster runs every day.)