KoLSpading

This is where you spade, shovel and sickle. Or is it reap?
stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

KoLSpading

Post by stupac2 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:57 pm

AFH would like to encourage the use of KoLSpading forums for new spading questions and data collection. The Commune is still open, but the collaborative and cooperative nature of KoLSpading will likely lead to more response on that forum.

Many completed AFH spading projects and strategies can be found in our Archive.

QuantumNightmare
AFH

Re: KoLSpading

Post by QuantumNightmare » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:28 am

This post makes me sad :(

Mad Hamish
AFH

Post by Mad Hamish » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:55 am

Same here.
I wonder also, how a forum that has been around less than two weeks has become the central spot for KoL spading, and why an AFH admin would discourage people from using our in house board for an unproven substitute, even if he is an admin there.

edit: the other forums are very nice. Even if they aren't ours.
Hi-keebated again? No way!

Draco Cracona
Gatekeeper of Hell

Post by Draco Cracona » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:23 am

Hamish- From what I can tell, Stu and some others felt that the spading community was too fragmented, with people not checking other clans' boards etc.... more collaboration can only help, assuming it works.

Mad Hamish
AFH

Post by Mad Hamish » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:51 am

Oh I read the other forums and agree with the reasons for their creation. I just think method of announcing said forums on here is a little odd. It's like an in-house guillotine. But c'est la vie, the commune was never my project, as I'm too lazy to spade. So who am I to say where it is done? I'm just glad someone figures stuff out for me, so that I can focus on the important work of being snarky.

Mad Hamish
AFH

Post by Mad Hamish » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:52 am

And seriously, the other forums are a really nicely organized pure spade project, if they take off properly, it should be one stop shopping for all your KoL information.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:03 am

I can understand that reaction, especially from older players, but if you look at use patterns having things be fragmented just didn't make sense. To take something I worked on as an example Spring Raindrop had a bunch of data on it in this forum for over 6 months without anyone saying "hmm, this is a weird distribution, let's take more data." I bugged RT about it once and it was spaded within 3 days. Right now the game is at a place where it works better if we can do this collaboratively, at least from what I've seen so far.

And people are still free to post stuff in here, if they want to keep it AFH-affiliated. My personal thought process is that I'd rather have increased odds of getting it done than the little bit of fame from housing the information in our forums, but a player can make that determination on their own. (And I'm basing the "increased odds" on the fact that the commune has ~20 posts in the past month, 15 of them from a bug that resulted from TPTB messing with counters (which I noticed/started the thread for), and the rest coming from the aforementioned bugging of RT. It's just not that active, if it were there never would have been a drive to make the other one.)

Oh, and QN, did you mean to sign up as QuantumNighmare on the other forum? Or was that not you?

slaphappy snark
Widdle Fudge Bunny

Post by slaphappy snark » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:10 am

I changed how it's said in the initial post--stu, you're welcome to change it to something you'd actually say. In addition to his points about the greater activity over there, the new forum will have the best chance of success if we encourage any of our spading projects to shift over there (as has happened), especially while it's starting up.

Mad Hamish
AFH

Post by Mad Hamish » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:32 pm

Your version of the post makes me much less sad, snark. Despite amounting to the same thing. O, the subtleties of language!

Mr_Crac
Spy vs. Pie

Post by Mr_Crac » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:03 pm

QuantumNightmare is still around? That's cool, I thought he had left for good (?)