Black Forest- An Olith, Mon.

This is where you spade, shovel and sickle. Or is it reap?
Draco Cracona
Gatekeeper of Hell

Black Forest- An Olith, Mon.

Post by Draco Cracona » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:54 pm

Right. I've heard from a source somewhere in clan (I think), that if you run +10% combat in the forest you won't see this adventure (the black kettle drum), but there seems to be no actual spading on the encounter rate, from what I can tell.

279 adv in the forest at +10% (>30lb hound for +5%, musk for another +5%).

So: 279 adv with no drum adv at +10%. That pretty much rules 10% out, I think, so will start at 5% tomorrow.

top1214
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Re: Black Forest- An Olith, Mon.

Post by top1214 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:04 pm

Great, this means letting all those NC buffs (from powerleveling) run out, casting the C buffs, and pulling out the hound for the black forest. And then casting NC buffs again for Poop Deck. :roll: Thanks a lot, jerk!

Thanks for doing the spading on this! Interesting result! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

FYI, if we assume NC comes in multiples of 5, doing 50 turns and not seeing a NC in a 5% NC zone will happen 7.7% of the time. 100 turns is 0.59% of the time. 150 is 0.046% of the time. 279 is 0.0000609% of the time.

And you've ruled out the rate of the drum is >10% (well, if the rate of drum was 11%, you had a 6% shot of not seeing it across 279 adv).

Fred Nefler
AFH

Post by Fred Nefler » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:03 pm

The adventure is once-per ascension.

Draco Cracona
Gatekeeper of Hell

Post by Draco Cracona » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:20 pm

Aye, Fred, I've not got it yet this run. After throwing some turns at it tomorrow, I'll throw some more turns at it with -combat to get it (just to ensure that I didn't somehow get it and miss it, I've checked the mafia log, but best to be sure).

Also, WM, you only need to do burning off of -Combat if the rate is actually 10%- if it's 5%, then Hound+Carl+Musk would still do it even with smooth and the ballroom song on, hence the need for tomorrow's turns sunk into this as well. DD or >/DoD is probably your best bet for burning off -com before the forest; afterwards you have the 3 adv of shoring and you can do Oasis/Temple if needed. I did think that 279 adv was overkill a bit, but wad farming is more interesting (and faster, if you're farming by hand because your network is dodgy and fucked up) than castlefarming.

top1214
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by top1214 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:41 pm

I know :-D I would probably just spend the <10 turns powerleveling (only slightly inefficient, unless your muscle, in which case I think you've already capped it). Also, do you really put off DoD until 11? I try and get that done ASAP (questing before powerleveling...also, the ring and/or whistle is nice to have).

Draco Cracona
Gatekeeper of Hell

Post by Draco Cracona » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:02 am

top1214 wrote:I know :-D I would probably just spend the <10 turns powerleveling (only slightly inefficient, unless your muscle, in which case I think you've already capped it). Also, do you really put off DoD until 11? I try and get that done ASAP (questing before powerleveling...also, the ring and/or whistle is nice to have).
I'm too broke to ever (well, bar myst runs, which are usually lazy) do the DoD before I get/sell the bowling ball from the warboss and actually have some meat. I think that's partly due to me overrunning empathy, though, so it's something to work on. I really should get it done before I turn the ballroom song off, though, honestly.

Draco Cracona
Gatekeeper of Hell

Post by Draco Cracona » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:38 am

Right, drum is definately 10% rate, as I've just encountered it with +5% combat.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:10 am

I just spent >100 turns on a faxbot multi with +10% and didn't see it. I DID get the map, really quickly. Since you can't have two noncombats at different rates, that's a superlikely and the drum is a NC.

I don't really understand why they'd add it that way, but whatever. Run +combat if you don't want a drum, -combat if you do.

Fred Nefler
AFH

Post by Fred Nefler » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:38 pm

stupac2 wrote:Since you can't have two noncombats at different rates,
What's up with the PLD, then? It has "regular noncombats", and then there's Getting Clubbed which only shows up when running +combats.

lostcalpolydude
Forum Maestro

Post by lostcalpolydude » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:59 pm

Fred Nefler wrote:
stupac2 wrote:Since you can't have two noncombats at different rates,
What's up with the PLD, then? It has "regular noncombats", and then there's Getting Clubbed which only shows up when running +combats.
Apparently it has screwy mechanics that have nothing to do with sane noncombat mechanics.
bmaher: Softcore character
lostcalpolydude: Hardcore character (abandoned)