Calculate your Area! (pulled links)

This is where you spade, shovel and sickle. Or is it reap?
Flolle
Fie the Pie

Calculate your Area! (pulled links)

Post by Flolle » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:37 am

Due to me not feeling like continuing development for the foreseeable future, I pulled this tool from my webspace.
Last edited by Flolle on Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:43 pm, edited 51 times in total.

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:19 am

Due to me not feeling like continuing development for the foreseeable future, I pulled this tool from my webspace.
Last edited by Flolle on Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alrik
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Alrik » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:34 am

I'm running Mac OS X 10.4.9. Initially, the side bar (with graphs) is about a cm wide, and it needs to be expanded to see anything. The main pane is full size, though.

Thanks much, Flolle! This is a useful program.

Prestige
AFH

Post by Prestige » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:21 pm

I downloaded your program earlier today, and I've had fun playing with it as I plan the best way to level. Good job, and I'm looking forward to any future upgrades.

I have a question. How does the +item drop field affect the calculation? Other than dance cards, does it factor in anything else?

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:18 am

Prestige wrote:I have a question. How does the +item drop field affect the calculation? Other than dance cards, does it factor in anything else?

Currently, it only affects the ballroom, as dance cards are the only item which can change the statgains in a significant way. If I'm overlooking something on that account, please tell me so.

On another note, thanks to Alrik, the resizing problems on nonWindows machines should be out of the way. But he had some problems with the graph feature, for which the JRE for Macs might be the cause. If other people are having problems with it, I'm going to look into it.
Last edited by Flolle on Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:30 am

I just wanted to post to point out that there were some updates(bug fixing, usability and area additions) since the last time I posted.

Small could-be-useful tidbit: You need 846.8 adventures on average to get the DoD trophy without any +combat effects, 741.8 adventures on average with +10% to combat.

Also, since this thread is now public, I want to make clear that you can place feature requests here. I'm always happy to get something like that, because two heads always end up with more ideas than one. Of course, bug reports can go here too.

Also also, the screenshot in the second post will get updated whenever I change the visual appearance of the Area Simulator.

Alrik
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Alrik » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:43 pm

Flolle, could I request a feature? Specifically, could you make the inputs to the first area (familiar weight, antiphon checkbox, noncombat frequency, etc.) "copy" into the other tabs? I'd like them to be modifiable, but it would be nice not to need to reinput all of the data.

Thanks much!

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:27 pm

Your wish is my command. Well, sorta.

The copy button copies all values from the selected tab into all others. It doesn't change the location or encounter components though, because I think it might be more useful that way. If not, tell me otherwise. ;)

Alrik
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Alrik » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:26 pm

Woohoo! Thanks much!

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:51 pm

A quick notice: I just fixed an absolutely stupid oversight on my part in the code. All XP calculations done on combats from choice adventures were still in the old ML/5 formula. This affected gallery gains and totally screwed the Bedroom. I would strongly recommend everybody to update to a fixed version (don't let yourself get fooled, the jar is updated, even though the date is not). I'm also currently fixing all images of calculation graphs that I posted.

I haven't updated the source downloads yet, because I want to add a few features (received dmg and a workaround for the oder extractor) before that. I'm currently at my parents home, which means only a laptop and a dialup connection to the internet, which in turn means less time to play games or screw around in the internet and more time to code. So that update should be due in two or three days, maybe less. :D

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:45 pm

Well, so much for three days or less. :P

I had underestimated how much of the code I had to change to meet my needs. Especially the GUI changes took quite a bit of time.

Also, life caught up to me in the last week, which meant that I had much less time to actually code than I originally thought I'd have.

Anyway, there is now workaround for the oder extractor mechanic in place. You can change the appearance rate for one off the combat encounters and thus emulate it. But this only works in areas where all combats have the same appearance rate or where the combat which will be changed is the only one with a different appearance rate. Also, please don't set the apearence rate too high, because then you will get an OutOfBounds-Exception (100 minus appearance rate should be >= number of total combats in the area).

The other new feature is damage received. The data for that was already there, so I decided to add the calculations and a GUI for it.

On another note: Which mod do I have to give a headbutt to? ;)

Edit:
Moderators: QuantumNightmare, TrueEeviL, Mad Hamish
:roll:

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:09 pm

Sometimes I need a few days, sometimes only hours.

Found a fairly stupid, but nonetheless serious oversight that totally broke calculations. It had to do with how I handled the new ML-noncombat effect. Please update.

Also added the stone age areas from the island for powerleveling purposes.

Edit: And in case you haven't noticed, I'll only post about major updates and serious bugs in this thread. Normal update info can be found on the area simulator website. Just click the last update link on the first page.

Edit edit: New update! I finally processed both feature suggestions from QN.

As you may have noticed, a graph for variable ML was added last week. It calculates the currently selected areas with all inputs but the ML ones and slowly adds ML itself. The first 10 are from the MCD and everything above that is from other means and thus affects noncombat rate. These graphs are perfect to see what the +ML-noncombat effect actually means for statgains.

The second feature is a calculation to find out where the best place to level is. Click the button on the right, change the input to your liking and let the Area Simulator do the rest. Sadly, the output is not perfectly accurate all the time due to the nature of the Area Simulator(actually simulating the encounter roll instead of working with formulas), which means that whenever the differences between different parameters are very small, the variance in every calculation can give values which are not necessarily the best for the location. I'm very sorry for that, but it cannot be helped. :(

Also, I did some performance tweaking for graph calculations. They are now much faster, but have a little more variance, too. Graph and best Location calculations also support multithreading which means that they will be processed faster on machines with more than one CPU/a CPU that has more than one core.

Oh, and I almost forgot: Are there any qualms with parts of the program? Should parts of the GUI be arranged differently? Should more options be added? If so, which options? Do you think calculations take too long?

What I want to say with this is that I will listen to any request, suggestion, complain, whatever else there is, be it as small as it can be. Believe me when I say that I would cry tears of happiness if someone said that some part of the Area Simulator sucks, as long as he can tell me why he thinks so, because then I can try to make it not suck. That's how feedback works. :)

And another thing: I'm not sure how much time the best Location calculation on different machines takes, so I'd like you guys to run a calculation with 125 mainstat, -20% maximum cFrequenzy and 70 maximum +ML(without MCD) and leave the rest as is. Then please post here how long it took(use a watch or the system clock in your PC) and what CPU you have.

For example, the calculation took about 27 seconds on my laptop(Core duo 1.73GHz).

QuantumNightmare
AFH

Post by QuantumNightmare » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:36 am

53 seconds, with my athlon 3000 laptop. Yeah, it's an antique!

Nice output, though.

Sinshlad
Inscrutable Pi

Post by Sinshlad » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:18 am

21 Seconds with a duo 2.2Ghz PC. *Might* be able to test on a couple others sometime soon.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/dvmaprezson/AFHV1.gif[/img]

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:09 pm

QuantumNightmare wrote:53 seconds, with my athlon 3000 laptop. Yeah, it's an antique!

Not antique by my stretch of definition. Just to confirm, what kind of Athlon? Athlon XP or Athlon 64? But no matter, if a relatively new CPU needs that long it means that I have to try to performance tweak it.

QuantumNightmare wrote:Nice output, though.

Heh, was this what you imagined when you suggested it?

Also especially that output is up for suggestions. Anything else that should be in there, anyone?

Sinshlad wrote:21 Seconds with a duo 2.2Ghz PC. *Might* be able to test on a couple others sometime soon.

Core 2 duo or Core duo? And that testing would be totally awesome!

DarthDud
Inscrutable Pi

Post by DarthDud » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:31 pm

16 seconds on an Athlon X2 2.8GHz.

QuantumNightmare
AFH

Post by QuantumNightmare » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:29 pm

3000+ athlon 64.

About the output, we might only need to test 2 cases: with max +ML, and with only the MCD. Is there a situation when you would want a fraction of your max +ML to be applied? Due to the flat reduction in combat modifiers caused by +ML, each +ML will give a flat increase to combat stats and a flat decrease to noncombat stats. If the area benefits from adding +ML at that given mainstat, then we'd want to go all the way.

TrueEeviL
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by TrueEeviL » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:11 pm

I'll bench it this weekend when I over clock the x2 3800. Should be mutually beneficial.

Its 2ghz stock, the OC target is 2.5-2.6. Hopefully all thsi new Air cooling will pay off.

I replaced the Epxo default with a new Cooler Master Northbridge heatsink. The CPU heat sink is a new Zalman 9500. Blowing out the back is a SILVERSTONE FM121-B 120mm. Also don't laugh at the 110CFM it claims to move. It does. But at max speed sounds like a fucking jet engine.

Benchies are nigh.

Sinshlad
Inscrutable Pi

Post by Sinshlad » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:31 pm

Flolle wrote:
Sinshlad wrote:21 Seconds with a duo 2.2Ghz PC. *Might* be able to test on a couple others sometime soon.

Core 2 duo or Core duo?
Core 2 duo.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/dvmaprezson/AFHV1.gif[/img]

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:16 am

QuantumNightmare wrote:About the output, we might only need to test 2 cases: with max +ML, and with only the MCD. Is there a situation when you would want a fraction of your max +ML to be applied? Due to the flat reduction in combat modifiers caused by +ML, each +ML will give a flat increase to combat stats and a flat decrease to noncombat stats. If the area benefits from adding +ML at that given mainstat, then we'd want to go all the way.

Hehe, at first I wanted to test every ten +10 ML, but then I realised exactly what you said, so I implemented it that way. But for the hell of it, here is the algorithm for finding the best mix of +ML and combatmodifier for a location (toned done version of the Java code):

If the MCD is allowed it will be turned on for all calculations, because it cannot hurt statgains under any circumstances.
ML = monster level
NCF = noncombat frequenzy modifier
calculate... = fast calculation(250000 encounter rolls)
calculateSlow... = slow calculation(1000000 encounter rolls)

Code: Select all

calculateBasicStatReturn(0ML, 0NCF);
    if (MaxNCF < 0) {
        calculateMaxNCFStatReturn(0ML, MaxNCF);
    } else {
        MaxNCFStatReturn = BasicStatReturn;
    }
    if (MaxML > 0) {
        calculateMaxMLStatReturn(MaxML, 0NCF);
    } else {
        MaxMLStatReturn = BasicStatReturn;
    }
    if (MaxMLStatReturn == MaxNCFStatReturn) {
        calculateSlowBestStatReturn(0ML, 0NCF);
    } else {
        calculateMaxBothStatReturn(MaxML, MaxNCF);
        if (MaxBothStatReturn > MaxMLStatReturn AND MaxNCFStatReturn) {
            calculateSlowBestStatReturn(MaxML, MaxNCF);
        } else if (MaxNCFStatReturn > MaxMLStatReturn) {
            calculateSlowBestStatReturn(0ML, MaxNCF);
        } else {
            calculateSlowBestStatReturn(MaxML, 0NCF);
        }
    }

Well, as far as I can tell this is as good as it can get. But if someone sees optimisation potential, tell me. The fast and slow calculations are there to make variance as small as possible in the output table while having the calculations not take too much time.

I tried around a bit and changed the fast calculation to 200000 encounter rolls and the slower one to 500000 rolls. This made calculations only take 60% of the time that it took before. Hopefully the now bigger variance isn't going to be a problem. Here is a link to the faster version. The download on the website is still the slower version, because I want to make sure that the new version gives a big performance boost for single core CPUs, too.

P.S.: You're responsible for me not getting Enrique Iglesias out of my head now, QN. T.T *All I need is a rhythm divine, ...*

QuantumNightmare
AFH

Post by QuantumNightmare » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:57 am

If max ML > 0, this is run:
calculateMaxMLStatReturn(MaxML, 0NCF);

If max ML > 0 and combats modified <0, this is run:
calculateMaxBothStatReturn(MaxML, MaxNCF)

Note how this second calculation can be redundant, if max ML is enough to turn the combat modifier back to 0%.

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:41 pm

QuantumNightmare wrote:Note how this second calculation can be redundant, if max ML is enough to turn the combat modifier back to 0%.

True that. Good call. :)

I updated the faster version with it.

QuantumNightmare
AFH

Post by QuantumNightmare » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:09 am

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:32 pm

QuantumNightmare wrote:You're famous.

Yay! I'm not doing speed ascensions anymore, so I had to find other ways to get my name into the lights. ;)

But you know, you are famous for your spreadsheet, too. Having been referenced in the spading summary in the main forum and stuff. :)

On another note: I finally updated the main version of the simulator with the faster calculations. Also did some debugging while I was at it.

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:33 pm

As people who read all post in this forum might have noticed, there was a very big problem with how the Area Simulator handled locations with encounters of different probabilities to appear. See this posting.

I tried to rebalance all appearance rates while keeping to the dogma of "Jick likes round numbers".

This problem meant that all calculations in areas that fit the requirements were wrong. I'm deeply sorry for that, and strongly advise to update to the newest version.

Also, with this new version the Area Simulator and QN's spreadsheet are more or less the same in all locations which leads me to believe that those locations are implemented by both QN and me pretty close to 100% right. :)

P.S.: I'm going to update all graphs I posted which were affected by the appearance rate problem of the Area Simulator. (edit: done)

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:32 am

Ok, I have a new request for the community: Please look at the screenshots in this folder and tell me which of the skins looks best on the Area Simulator. Don't let your judgment be wavered by those text-too-close-to-ckeckboxes problems, that's something that I can remedy when the skin is decided upon.

The idea behind this new skin is that I have a few ideas for the GUI, but I don't want to write it by hand anymore, because that takes much time that I could use for other things. So I'm going to use a GUI-Builder, but as far as I can tell right now, there will be some compatibility problems between the different system Look&Feels due to different font, button, checkbox, etc. sizes. To sidestep these problems, I'm going to use one special skin for the Area Simulator, which will be used on every system. I have found a few skins that seem to work with the Area Simulator, but I can't decide on which one of those I should use. And this leads us back here to my question. So please help me out here people, it's for your benefit too! :)

QuantumNightmare
AFH

Post by QuantumNightmare » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:10 am

The skins are different? My eyes are oblivious to small changes!

I don't like monoblue or oasis. The other three are all ok.

Feature request: once you click "calculate" for any single zone, can you have it display the stat gains automatically instead of needing to click on the "returns" tab?

Archayts
AFH

Post by Archayts » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:03 pm

Personally, I like fatalE best, followed by architectOlive.
[url=http://afh.s4.bizhat.com/index.php][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/dvmaprezson/AFHV2.gif[/img][/url]

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:45 pm

I went with fatalE, because you guys seemed to be OK with it.

Anyway, new GUI, but features stayed the same. If something doesn't look like in the screenshot please post here, because that shouldn't happen.

Also, I believe the new structure is pretty good, but if you have a different opinion, please post. I promise, I won't bite. The GUI is done for people other than me, because I could live with console output. ;)

QuantumNightmare wrote:Feature request: once you click "calculate" for any single zone, can you have it display the stat gains automatically instead of needing to click on the "returns" tab?

That's something I wanted to do anyway, but the old GUI was standing in the way. That has changed now though, so wish granted.

QuantumNightmare
AFH

Post by QuantumNightmare » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:07 am

I haven't paid attention to this thread in a while, but you've got some amazing updates. The GUI is really coming along nicely, and it's much more intuitive to use. Also, the adventure tracker is a pretty nice idea. Things like that are almost impossible for me to run math for, due to queue effects.

Care to add meat drops to your program, so we can compare that as well?

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:50 pm

Finally:

QuantumNightmare wrote:Care to add meat drops to your program, so we can compare that as well?

Wish granted. Now I just need to understand how your meat calculations work. :)

To elaborate, since this is one of the bigger updates: The meat calculation considers combat length, meatdrops and itemdrops of all locations. Items will always be autosold (with very few exceptions). If there are items of which you think that they should not be autosold, drop me a line. Mall prices will not be added. You'll have to change the source code yourself, if you want to calculate with mall prices.

The NPZR calculations should be pretty accurate, because I'm simulating the whole combat. Even physical resistant monsters are accounted for. Cocoabo will be added as soon as it is spaded sufficiently.

Be happy people, best farming location just got trivially easy to calculate. :D Not that it was that hard to do before, but hey, more options are always better ...

And a little disclaimer: I do not advocate NPZR farming, because it does hit the servers more than any other form of adventuring as far as I know. But if you really want to farm that way, at least try to refrain from doing it during peak hours. Yes, I mean peak hours, do not think that just because it's night at your place, it means it isn't a peak hour. And for god's sake, do not run multiple multis (Wait, what? o.O) with this farming method. That would be seriously uncool.

This post had different content actually, but for some reason the forum thought I wanted to edit my post instead of making a new one. Of course I don't have a copy of what has been written down here before I made my post. (Just to make sure people don't think the last update before the next post was in october. It wasn't. It was somewhere around the middle of november.)
Last edited by Flolle on Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:36 pm

The charts got updated. They are now actually useful for powerleveling calculations because you can change start and end point of them.

Another bone for powerlevelers: You can now also throw clovering for mainstat into the calculation mix.

And I changed some internals of the encounterrolling. Searching for encounters in certain areas should be more betterer now. :)

EDIT: Small mini-update. The variable +ML charts were bugged and got fixed.

KujjieKujjieKoo
Spade Ninja

Better late than never?

Post by KujjieKujjieKoo » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:45 pm

Been awhile since I've looked at this... excellent work Flo! I'll be messing around with this more soon, so if you still want feedback I'll be happy to throw some out.

-Option to have at least -2 stats per turn. I'm interested to see the effects of Gluttony by itself.

-Also, do you have item drop data already built in? If so, the estimated turns to complete an outfit given 0, 1, or 2 current parts for the Harem, Pirates, Frats, Hippies, and Yendorian outfit out be handy.

QuantumNightmare
AFH

Post by QuantumNightmare » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:39 pm

Ooh! How about a barrel calculator. Calculate the turns needed to find the four barrel squares, both if you can and cannot kill mimcs.

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:52 am

KujjieKujjieKoo wrote:I'll be messing around with this more soon, so if you still want feedback I'll be happy to throw some out.

I'm always happy about feedback, positive or negative. :)

KujjieKujjieKoo wrote:-Option to have at least -2 stats per turn. I'm interested to see the effects of Gluttony by itself.

Heh. That was actually an oversight on my part. Extra stats were designed to handle floating point numbers on both sides of the zero. I just didn't put it into the UI. I'll upload a fixed version as soon as the webserver starts to respond to me ...

KujjieKujjieKoo wrote:-Also, do you have item drop data already built in? If so, the estimated turns to complete an outfit given 0, 1, or 2 current parts for the Harem, Pirates, Frats, Hippies, and Yendorian outfit out be handy.

Well, the only thing thrown in as far as items go are autosell values(with the exception of dance cards and stunt nuts), because I didn't intend to do anything else with items back then. But since stat calculations are basically figured out for KoL and encounter appearances would need further spading to change anything else there, I don't have much else to do, so I'll work on it. It'll take a little while though, because I need to restructure the GUI a little for that. Adding another tab isn't feasible, and goes against general GUI standardisation. ;)

QuantumNightmare wrote:Ooh! How about a barrel calculator. Calculate the turns needed to find the four barrel squares, both if you can and cannot kill mimcs.

Err, what exactly do you have in mind? Like telling the program which barrels you've already checked and what they contained? Also, is barrel math that complicated that we need something like that? I mean, there aren't really many (any?) variables for it other than those that are currently in the process of being spaded. But if you want it, I can work on it. After the outfits though, to give the spades a bit more time to spade it out completely.

KujjieKujjieKoo
Spade Ninja

Post by KujjieKujjieKoo » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:23 am

I think the item drop things which would be most useful are:
-Outfit numbers
-Food, booze, ingredients
-Important pasting ingredients. (maids & in-a-boxes primarily)

Having these things available would be nice to cross reference... in an ascension context, sometimes just knowing the best leveling area isn't as useful as being able to compare where one location & food available (say, ballroom), compares to another area, and knowing when to make that transition. This would be especially nice for those of us in Bad Moon. =)

-I haven't messed with the program that much, so this might be a dumb question. Is the output always average per turn, or is there a way to look at X turns, and see what the likely totals are for those turns with plus or minus one & two std deviations? That might be useful when you only have 20 turns left, and need to see what the options are, and the best / worse likely cases. Hitting a bad RNG streak with NC's can be brutal in some areas, not so bad in others.

QuantumNightmare
AFH

Post by QuantumNightmare » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:05 pm

I tried for a math-only approach to the barrels, and failed. The math is actually pretty hard, because your main currency is information. The number of turns you spend in the barrels is dependent on how fast you can find the booze squares. Now, RNG has it's part on keeping this information from you, providing you with explosions and mimcs that beat you up for the first few days. So math-wise, you'd need to run through a couple hundred possibilities by hand, which I don't feel like doing.

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:20 pm

I thought, I'd throw out an update (progresswise, not of the actual program).

DISCLAIMER: Every future date I'm giving is a prognose and as such not set in stone. I'm doing this for fun after all and get easily sidetracked by almost everything. ;)

I have transferred all item data into the new format, which will make future additions easier. I'll do a rewrite of the internal encounter rolling and the data hierarchy behind all adventures because I'm not really happy with it. After that, the new GUI and the exact calculation methods for average turns per item(s) is on the roadmap.

I hope to be finished with most of it until next sunday, because that will be the last day of my holidays.

I have a few ideas for those RNG-swing scenarios, but I'll have to look at all that funky stochastics stuff for it, because I haven't had that subject in university yet. I'm sure I'll figure something out, and if not I can always ask. :)

For this, I hope to have it done until the NO Bad Moon Basement contest starts.

The barrel calculator will take a little bit longer since I haven't done anything on it yet. I'm guessing somewhere in February. Sorry. :(

The other reason I'm posting: This thread here looks pretty interesting for my current project. Could someone of you mathy and/or spadey people go over there and help him figure out the formula behind the expected turns per item? Or at least tell me whether he already has done so? An easy way to check whether the Area Simulator gives decent values would be handy. And ways to make these calculations without putting serious thought into the encounter rolling process everytime you need those numbers is also a good thing, I believe (in case you don't want to use a program or script).

QuantumNightmare
AFH

Post by QuantumNightmare » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:51 am

[quote="Flolle"]The other reason I'm posting: This thread here looks pretty interesting for my current project. Could someone of you mathy and/or spadey people go over there and help him figure out the formula behind the expected turns per item?/quote]They are correct, to a certain extent. Odds of an item dropping = (odds of monster encounter) * (odds of item drop per encounter), and the inverse of that is the expected turncount.

The queue should be factored in for any good reading, as this modifies RNG... helping you on rare monsters with good item drops, and hurting you with common monsters with rare item drops. Mathematically calculating the queue is difficult... I'll need to go read up what guys like DirkDiggler have done as proofs to find a better answer to you.

TeKRunneR
Spy vs. Pie

Post by TeKRunneR » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:00 pm

Hmm, this tool sounds really promising, so I wanted to give it a try. Sadly it doesn't seem to run on mac os 10.5. Or maybe it's a problem with my JRE (thought that things was updated automatically) ? Anyway here's what I get when I try to launch the jar :

06/01/08 12:41:26 AM [0x0-0x87087].com.apple.JarLauncher[1029] Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: Bad version number in .class file 
06/01/08 12:41:26 AM [0x0-0x87087].com.apple.JarLauncher[1029]  at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
06/01/08 12:41:26 AM [0x0-0x87087].com.apple.JarLauncher[1029]  at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:675)
06/01/08 12:41:26 AM [0x0-0x87087].com.apple.JarLauncher[1029]  at com.simontuffs.onejar.JarClassLoader.defineClass(JarClassLoader.java:580)
06/01/08 12:41:26 AM [0x0-0x87087].com.apple.JarLauncher[1029]  at com.simontuffs.onejar.JarClassLoader.findClass(JarClassLoader.java:494)
06/01/08 12:41:26 AM [0x0-0x87087].com.apple.JarLauncher[1029]  at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:316)
06/01/08 12:41:26 AM [0x0-0x87087].com.apple.JarLauncher[1029]  at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:251)
06/01/08 12:41:26 AM [0x0-0x87087].com.apple.JarLauncher[1029]  at com.simontuffs.onejar.Boot.run(Boot.java:240)
06/01/08 12:41:26 AM [0x0-0x87087].com.apple.JarLauncher[1029]  at com.simontuffs.onejar.Boot.main(Boot.java:89)

Also, my version of Java :

java version "1.5.0_13"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_13-b05-237)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_13-119, mixed mode, sharing)

Any idea on what's causing this ?

EDIT : Ok I tried to recompile it from the source but I ran into several problem. First the reference to the Skinlf library was broken, I had to remove it from the build path and add a downloaded copy. Now I'm apparently missing some javax.swing classes. This leads me to think you've compiled this with java 6. That would also explain why I cannot run the jar.

EDIT2, a few searches on google later : gah, there's only a developer "preview" version of Java 6 for Leopard. Guess I'll have to try that...

EDIT3 : yay it works! Still, I hope Apple releases its version of Java 6 soon, that'd make things easier...

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:29 pm

TeKRunneR wrote:Any idea on what's causing this ?

EDIT : Ok I tried to recompile it from the source but I ran into several problem. First the reference to the Skinlf library was broken, I had to remove it from the build path and add a downloaded copy. Now I'm apparently missing some javax.swing classes. This leads me to think you've compiled this with java 6. That would also explain why I cannot run the jar.

EDIT2, a few searches on google later : gah, there's only a developer "preview" version of Java 6 for Leopard. Guess I'll have to try that...

EDIT3 : yay it works! Still, I hope Apple releases its version of Java 6 soon, that'd make things easier...

Yeah sorry, I googled this myself just now and apparently the lazy bums at Apple still haven't finished their work on version 6 (they're one year late now ...). I'll try to recompile it for Java 5 after I'm done with some changes, which will be done by monday, latest. I have to say though, that I'm not sure whether I did or did not use features of Java 6. I think some font antialiasing was from that version ...

I guess, I'll have to check for that then.

TeKRunneR
Spy vs. Pie

Post by TeKRunneR » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:39 am

Don't worry about it if I'm your only Leopard user, I can live with having to launch this from a shell script.

But if it helps, Eclipse when still configured to use Java 5 doesn't recognize the classes javax.swing.GroupLayout and javax.swing.LayoutStyle (which you seem to use quite often), and thinks you're trying to override a non-existing method from the parent class when you implement the actionPerformed method.

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:26 pm

TeKRunneR wrote:Don't worry about it if I'm your only Leopard user, I can live with having to launch this from a shell script.

But if it helps, Eclipse when still configured to use Java 5 doesn't recognize the classes javax.swing.GroupLayout and javax.swing.LayoutStyle (which you seem to use quite often), and thinks you're trying to override a non-existing method from the parent class when you implement the actionPerformed method.

Damn! I'm not using those classes, but my GUI-Builder, namely Matisse from Netbeans, is. I couldn't be bothered to rewrite the GUI again after the third major change I had to made. I like the GUI-Builder itself, but the code it produces is an uneditable mess. I read that other GUI-Builders are the same in that regard though. Since I still need to do that new GUI that I talked about a few posts ago, I'll try to see whether or not another LayoutManager is viable for what I have in mind. I'll get back to you then. In the meantime, everyone who uses MacOS X will need to install the beta version of Java 6. Sorry. :(

On a sidenote: Eclipse itself set those @Override annotations, now it doesn't do so anymore after I removed them (noticed those errors myself when I changed the compiler level). Strange. Maybe some leftovers from when I changed the internal class hierarchy around a little.

bizkut
Inscrutable Pi

Post by bizkut » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:46 pm

I don't blame you for using a GUI builder. I never actually got one to work with my Eclipse, which I guess is why all my applications suck visually.

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:35 pm

Alright, after falling behind the roadmap on a quite severe margin, I finally finished work on the new GUI, the item calculator and many other things. Hopefully it's to everyone's liking.

Note: Since there were so many changes, it is possible that there are a few bugs left that I didn't find during my testing. Please report them. It would be especially important to test whether the item calculator gives correct values. The few tests I did with it all turned up positive, but that doesn't necessarily mean much.

Also, all those outfit adventures are not handled correctly at the moment. Don't take numbers from areas with such choice encounters for anything. I still need to work out the choosing logic for those. Hopefully I'll have that added before the weekend, otherwise it'll be sometime during next week. Update: This works now.

Flolle wrote:... I'll try to see whether or not another LayoutManager is viable for what I have in mind. I'll get back to you then.

I checked this out, and other the Layout Managers are not really to my liking. The GUI could quite probably be done with it, but it would take far more time for me to make it. But I might have found another solution here. I'll try to see whether I can get the Area Simulator to run with that library during the next two weeks (or more, depending on my free time). If I'm not saying anything in the near future about this, drop me a line.

bizkut wrote:I don't blame you for using a GUI builder. I never actually got one to work with my Eclipse, which I guess is why all my applications suck visually.

Tell me about it. The free GUI-Builders for Eclipse all either suck or plain don't work and the commercial ones all start at 150$ and more. So I installed NetBeans and use it's GUI-Builder (aka Matisse). After I'm finished, I copy&paste the source code into Eclipse. Not the best solution, but what can you do? :?

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:01 pm

New update with many new familiars! This was made possible by the new GUI.

Also a few bug fixes.

Mini update: The Hound Dog gave wrong combat modifiers, because I can't count. Please download this version again, if you already downloaded it!

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:21 am

New update! Besides some bug fixes, the only real interesting addition is probably that the weighted randomness of combat stats is now taken into account for RNG-swing stat calculations. But beware, a high number of encounter rolls could take some time to compute now.

Flolle wrote:I'll try to see whether I can get the Area Simulator to run with that library during the next two weeks (or more, depending on my free time). If I'm not saying anything in the near future about this, drop me a line.

OK, I tried this, but there apparently where some changes in the class internals that I don't know how to work around currently. Since this seems to be a bigger pain in the ass than I originally thought, I will put this on hold for now. Sorry, but I think my time is better used on adding features than making this work. But if there are more people who want to have Java 5 compatibility, I can look into this again. As I said, I'm sorry about this, but I have to prioritise sometimes.

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:13 am

Updated yet again. You can now calculate graphs with standard deviation. I would have liked to visualise it differently, but coding the idea I have would take too much time currently. I'll look at different graph libraries and try to find something useful. If I do, great, otherwise it'll stay the way it is.

Otherwise there were many small additions and bug fixes. Read the update log for details.

Barring bigger bugs, this will be the last update for about a month minimum. As I said elsewhere, I'm writing my end-of-term exams soon and thus haven't got the free time to work on the Area Simulator.

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:22 pm

No, there wasn't an update to the Area Simulator. I only changed the first post. Of course, that in itself wouldn't make me post, but I also compiled a list of mechanics that are left unspaded. If someone wants to spade something, there is a list for you. ;)

It is possible that I have forgotten or overlooked stuff, so I might add things later on.

Personally, I'm not spade enough for this stuff. I'd quit the game before I'd found those things out. So if no one wants to work on it, no problem. Just thought I should put it out there.

Also, if you're wondering why the layout is different from my normal website, that's because I used this to make the list. I'm currently thinking about using that tool to replace my old website. It doesn't look that awesome, but it would make it easier for me to format all the text. And I'm starting to use it to organise all information I have gather about KoL over the years. Normal browser bookmarks and the swiss cheese that is called my brain just didn't cut it anymore.

EDIT: The list has gotten its own thread.
Last edited by Flolle on Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WeatherWarrior
Pie in the Sky

Post by WeatherWarrior » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:10 am

I just downloaded the program and works pretty good. I am having a problem with the frame sizes. The left 2/3 (the main frame) is cut off on the right side. I can't get to the part where i choose my familiar's weight and the other sliders. What am I doing wrong? I have even download and installed Java 6 JDK to no avail. Thanks for the help.

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:03 am

I don't have an idea why that would happen right now, but could you post a screenshot? That would give me an idea whether this is a problem with the layout manager or one of the components.

WeatherWarrior
Pie in the Sky

Post by WeatherWarrior » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:21 pm

Thanks quantumnightmare.

Lets try this:

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:54 pm

Oh, looks like the wrong look&feel is used. The one in the screenshot is the cross-platform one. Do you have both the Area Simulator.jar and the fatalEthemepack.zip inside the same directory? Both files should have been inside the zip file which I'm putting up for download on my website.

One of these days I'll have to redo the GUI for the cross-platform look&feel, even though I personally think that there are nicer looking ones out there (just look at the text, seems as though everything is using a bold font). The custom look&feel is probably too big a source of errors for people who aren't much into computers otherwise.

WeatherWarrior
Pie in the Sky

Post by WeatherWarrior » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:59 pm

Flolle wrote:Oh, looks like the wrong look&feel is used. The one in the screenshot is the cross-platform one. Do you have both the Area Simulator.jar and the fatalEthemepack.zip inside the same directory? Both files should have been inside the zip file which I'm putting up for download on my website.

Yes my download has the .jar and the fatal pack together. How do I get to the correct version?

EDIT: I eve tried making a new folder and putting all the files into it. Still same effect, I can't resize it and there right edge stuff is inaccessible.

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:25 pm

There is no correct version, or to put it another way, the problem you're having has nothing to do with which version of the Area Simulator you're using (I probably worded my last post wrong, thus the confusion). Just put the .jar file into the same directory as the themepack. For example, if you have the .jar file in the directory "C:\KoL\Tools", the themepack has to be in the same directory. If it is not, the Area Simulator will default back to Java's cross-platform look&feel, which - as you can see - doesn't work with the current layout of the Area Simulator.

If you have both files in the same directory and still get the broken layout, I'd like to know which operating system you're using. (I figure this might also be a problem with differences between the Windows and Linux Java versions, if both files are indeed in the same directory and the problem still occurs ...)

EDIT: Just saw your edit. That's annoying. :(

Just for confirmation, you did not decompress the themepack itself, right? Cause it needs to stay in the zip file.

WeatherWarrior
Pie in the Sky

Post by WeatherWarrior » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:16 pm

Flolle wrote:Just put the .jar file into the same directory as the themepack. For example, if you have the .jar file in the directory "C:\KoL\Tools", the themepack has to be in the same directory. If it is not, the Area Simulator will default back to Java's cross-platform look&feel, which - as you can see - doesn't work with the current layout of the Area Simulator.

Just for confirmation, you did not decompress the themepack itself, right? Cause it needs to stay in the zip file.

That did it. I created a new folder and put the two (one unzipped) in and now it works like a champ. Thanks for the help.

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Sun May 25, 2008 1:17 pm

OK, finally a new version! :)

The GUI was completely redone to give me more design space in the future, make the source more maintainable and add Java 5 compatibility (so if you couldn't use the Area Simulator because of that before now, feel happy! :D). And no more skinpack, so that should be less confusing.

Hopefully it's obvious enough how everything works, otherwise just post here or contact me and I try to make it clearer by adding tool tips, lables or something else.

Also, since this update was basically a rewrite of half the source code, it's quite possible that there are still some bugs that I haven't noticed yet. That is where you, the users, come in. ;)

There were also numerous other updates besides the obvious UI ones. Just read the update log, I listed everything there.

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:39 pm

A smaller update since the last one (which is younger that the last time I posted). No new features, as the biggest change is of cosmetic nature. I found a nice look&feel, which I am now using. Mostly because I personally think that both the crossplatform and the Windows skins suck. ;)

Anyway, the l&f allows for some color scheme customisation and I tried to find something that worked with the layout of the Area Simulator. But if someone isn't happy with it (maybe the colors don't fit with the desktop theme or something), he or she is able to change that him- or herself, which is pretty cool. And changing it is pretty simple too:
  1. Download the nimrodlf.jar (the look&feel library I'm using) from the site I linked.
  2. Start a theme editor by double clicking the jar. (or however else you start java binaries on your system)
  3. Play around with the color and opacity options until you're happy.
  4. Save the themefile in the directory in which the Area Simulator is located. (the file name has to be NimRODThemeFile.theme and you might need to overwrite a file with that name, which is no problem)
  5. That's it!

As I said, pretty simple, plus you don't need any programming skills what so ever. :)

If you don't want to use your custom theme anymore, simply rename or delete it. The Area Simulator will create its default theme itself the next time you start it.