Grimstone Mask Content Omnibus

This is where you spade, shovel and sickle. Or is it reap?
lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Grimstone Mask Content Omnibus

Post by lotsofphil » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:08 am

Special big thanks to pantsless for his motivation on this.

I am surprised and bummed by how little public info there appears to be on the new Grimstone Mask content. So I am going to jot stuff down as I find it out. This is not my cup of tea, so don't expect great things from me personally. Hopefully others can help me fix things, fill in gaps and polish the rough edges.

If you're interested in helping
Help me edit and clarify and improve anything I've written in this thread.
Help me with the witch or gnome or stepmother high scores.
Tell me if the propeller beanie works in the Hare.
Anything else!

My priorities are trophies and tattoos and factoids. So lets start there:

Tattoos: just one, the Workoutfit. Tradeable. 30k total in the mall as of this writing.

Trophies: there are four. One in the Rumpelstiltskin/gnome zone and three in the Cinderella/stepmother zone.
Rumpelstiltskin trophy, Master Craftsman
Wiki says: "You need to practice one craft 5 times, another ?22-27? times, and the third ?69-73? times before you master it." Practicing takes 3 of an ingredient (straw, leather, or clay). That is the limit here. They are untradeable. So you'll need ~15 of one, ~75 of another and ~210 of the third. You get 30 turns per mask use.
needs spading: I don't know if +items helps gather these or what the drop rates are.
I suggest sniffing the monster that drops four of your most-needed item and, probably, buffing +items. There's not much more to this trophy. It's just kinda grindy.

Killing Cinderella trophy there is a script attached to this post
This one is the easiest. You need to spike the canoli with cinnamon (she's allergic) and laudanum (to disguise the taste). Cinnamon comes from the kitchen. Laudanum requires picking the lock in the restroom (either with Baroness' hairpin or the butler's key). You put the cinnamon in the filling and the laudanum on the tray. The laudanum can only be done at 22 minutes until midnight and 11 minutes until midnight. You give Cinderella the killer canoli at the Canapes Table when she isn't dancing. Confused? Fear not:
  • Choose "The stepmother"
    Kitchen, Inspect the kitchen pantry (get cinnammon)
    Kitchen, Pour cinnamon into the canoli filling
    Balcony, "Examine the flowers."
    Balcony, Speak with the Baroness.
    Balcony, Ask the Baroness what troubles her. (send baroness to ballroom)
    Dance Floor, Give your carnation to the Baroness and steal one of her hairpins
    Restroom, Look in the medicine cabinet. Pick the lock. Take the bottle of laudanum.
    waste a turn (get a coin or something)
    Kitchen, Dose the tray of cannoli with laudanum.
    waste a turn (get a coin or something)
    At the Canapes Table, Offer Cindy your 'customized' cannoli.
Make Cinderella throw up trophy there is a script attached to this post
A little trickier than the previous one. You give her a canoli with ipecac and cinnamon, but also need to dispose of Cinderella's purse. To get rid of her purse, you put a foaming mouse in it and then ask to borrow a handkerchief. To get the foaming mouse, you trap one with an empty cigar box, a piece of cheese and a piece of soap. You get 9 points for making her throw up.
needs spading: I am unsure of exactly when the empty cigar box shows up or what it takes for the mouse to get trapped. Both happen eventually.
  • Lounge, Get cigar
    Kitchen, Inspect pantry
    Kitchen, Put cinnamon in canoli filling
    Canapes, Take cheese
    Restroom, Take soap
    Balcony, Examine flowers
    Balcony, talk to baroness
    Balcony, talk to baroness
    Dance floor, steal hairpin from baroness
    Restroom, medicine cabinet, pick lock, take ipecac
    Lounge, take empty cigar box
    Kitchen, set trap for mouse with soap
    Waste turns/gather coins in non-kitchen area until 12 minutes remain
    Kitchen, get mouse
    Kitchen, dose canoli tray with ipecac
    Canapes, put mouse in cinderella's purse
    Canapes, ask for handkerchief
    Canapes, give cinderella the canoli
    Hang out in ballroom until she throws up (not sure if you need to see it happen for the trophy)
    Waste turns until it is done (not sure if you need to finish or can abort)
Frame Cinderella trophy there is a script attached to this post
Big thanks to artman186. You get 10 points for doing this.
  • Smoke a cigar (lounge)
    Start a rumor that Cindy is a kleptomaniac (lounge)
    Examine the curio cabinet (I'm not sure if this step is necessary; I think it is--Phil)
    Examine the flowers (balcony)
    Speak with the baroness (balcony)
    Ask the baroness what's troubling her (balcony)
    Steal a hairpin from the baroness (dance floor)
    Pick the lock in the bathroom and grab the aspirin (restroom)
    Take the soap (restroom)
    Take the cheese (canapes table) -> this is important as this is where you will "see" the butler's key, apparently "seeing" the key in the restroom isn't good enough.
    waste a turn/collect coins
    Kick soap at butler (dance floor)
    Go to the bathroom and grab the bottle of laudanam
    Go to the lounge and spike the whiskey with the laudanam
    Go back to the balcony and offer the baroness some aspirin. She will then offer to be a co-conspirator.
    pick the lock in on the curio cabinet (available with 10 turns remaining)
    slip the silver cow creamer into cinderella's purse (canapes table)
    ask cinderella for a handkerchief (canapes table)
Factoids:
(via The Forum KbobK)
5 (elementally alligned) trucks in the Hare
6 monsters in the Gnome
9 monsters in the Witch (3/zone)
5 machines in the Wolfs Gym
15 houses in Skid Row (3 Types of houses x 5 elements) (you can get factoids here by Puffing, so a big lung capacity can get you lots of easy kills if you don't care about pigs)
0 from stepmother
For a total of 40 new monsters (120 factoids)

Maximizing scores and consumable rewards:
Hare stuff below.
Wolf stuff below.
Witch stuff below.
Cinderella stuff below.
Rumpelstiltskin is still TBD. (But there is some info available in other places).

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Re: Grimstone Mask Content Omnibus

Post by lotsofphil » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:29 pm

Wolf Stuff
First of all, special thanks to Darzil for, specifically, giving me the defense vs. damage formula and, in general, chatting with me about strategy and this whole thing.

Basics
You have wolf stats: offense, defense, lung capacity and breath. You train these in the Inner Wolf gym by killing enemies (enemies give boosts to these stats) or by getting noncombats there (scheduled, so leave your combat modifiers at home).
Offense determines how much damage you do per "Blow Your House Down" attack. Damage = 10*offense.
Defense determines how much damage you take from the houses. The formula is:
Damage taken = 25% - (defense - 10 - number of houses killed) * 5%, floored at 5%
If you have learned Improved Howling, then damage is reduced by a further 40% (damage = damage*0.6)
Lung capacity determines how much breath you can hold and how much breath you get per Huff. You get 1/3 of lung capacity per Huff, rounded down.

You have three wolf skills: Huff, Puff, and Blow Your House Down. Huff gives 1/3 of lung capacity in breath. Puff skips the combat and costs 1 breath. Blow Your House Down does offense*10 damage and costs 1 breath.

There are three kinds of houses: straw (gives you +1 pig when you kill it), wood (gives you +2), and brick (+3).
They all hit the same.
They all take the same damage.
They have different hit amounts of hit points. From the wiki.
  • Straw houses have 100 + 50N HP
    Wood houses have 150 + 75N HP
    Brick houses have 200 + 100N HP
Where N is the number of houses you have blown down. HP is effected by any +ML you are running. So don't run +ML.

Here begins the basics of our strategy. After, say, 10 kills, a brick house has 1200 HP and gives 3 points. A straw house has 600 and gives 1 point. So brick houses are better. But we'll dig into this more, later.

The last important piece before we start plotting is that some things (equipment and familiars, no known effects though) can block the house attacks or stun them. This is huge.
Things that block/stun/stagger: shock belt, ancient stone head, mesmereyes, double-ice cap, attorney's badge, Teddy Bear (I didn't test the other teddy bear likes)
Things that you would think might work, but don't: potato familiars, navel ring, glowing syringe buff
Things I haven't tested: pasta guardians, propeller beanie, other things I haven't thought of
Deserving special mention are the -100 ML space trip headphones and HOA regulation book. HOA regulation book competes with ancient stone head, so it is out. Space trip headphones compete with shock belt (amazing!), attorney's badge and mesmereyes (worth a lot of free breath). Not worth equipping unless you're under the requirement for mesmereyes.

Strategy
Outfit: double-ice cap, weapon doesn't matter (stinky cheese sword might be useful to you), ancient stone head, back doesn't matter, shirt doesn't matter, pants don't matter, attorney's badge, shock belt, mesmereyes (sub in space trip headphones if you can't equip mesmereyes).
Familiar: a teddy bear that is heavy enough to block.
Buffs: the skeleton buff that does damage (Rogue) and whatever synergizes with that.

So, how do you put all this together? I'll put my extended reasoning below (in progress), but what you want to do is banish escalatormasters (+1 lung capacity is lame compared to +2 from the treadmill) and legstrongs (rabbits give you more fights against tough monsters). (Do this with ice house, nanorhino, pantsgiving or crystal skull in a non-speed instance). Then sniff abcrushers (+defense dudes). Do your 5 fights, then for the first NC choose Improved Howling. Then do 5 more. You'd *really* like 9 lung capacity or higher. So if you're not there, consider shrugging On the Trail or even Pantsgiving-banishing the abcrushers. For the second NC you should fill your greatest need, which is probably lung capacity (you get 3 from the NC) or defense.
Now you have 18 turns remaining, 6 sets of fights. I was getting 42-51 pigs evicted per fight by following this algorithm (with at least 9 lung capacity, if you didn't make it to 9, then you should prob not Puff against wood houses):

Code: Select all

Never die with zero breath except on final turn
If 0 breath and (straw or wood)
  Huff
  If not hit
    Puff
  Else
    Huff until opponent thaws and stops vibrating, then Puff
If straw or wood
  If mesmereyes haven't triggered, Huff until they do, then Puff
  If brick
    If it will die on the next hit and ((mesmereyes haven't triggered) or (it hit you and hasn't thawed and stopped vibrating yet))
      Huff
    Else
      Blow the house down
Make sure to heal fully in between sets of house fights!!

The reasons behind this tree are so:
  • You can't Unleash Your Inner Wolf with zero breath. That's why we have the first item there.
    If mesmereyes haven't triggered, you can't get hit the next round. So don't Puff, get some free Huffs.
    If you got hit but the opponent hasn't thawed, you can't get hit the next round. So don't Puff, get some free Huffs.
    At three breath (or more) per Huff, you should break even on the Puff-all-non-brick strategy. With the additional sources of blocking, you should come out ahead.
There you go. With 8 capacity, 16 offense and 31 defense I got about 40 per fight. With 10/13/31 I got about 45.

Needs spading
Do the florist friar plants work?

Some things I tried that don't work
DR
DA
Elemental resistance
Phial of XXX (although this might work okay with lots of Puffing...; it doesn't reduce damage to 1)
Getting free fights via goth kid
Free runaways
HP regen after house fights, never found something that triggered, but this would be huge

Extended reasoning that you probably don't care about, and might not even be correct!

lostcalpolydude
Forum Maestro

Post by lostcalpolydude » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:41 pm

lotsofphil wrote:What's up with the navel ring?
I would guess that mesmereyes and ancient stone head aren't actually staggers, they are something else that can block the initial hit from a monster when they get the jump (navel ring and potato can't do that).
bmaher: Softcore character
lostcalpolydude: Hardcore character (abandoned)

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Post by lotsofphil » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:38 pm

Stone head worked multiple times per fight some times. Sometimes before mesmereyes, sometimes after. You're probably right that they are coded differently.

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Post by lotsofphil » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:27 pm

Hare stuff

newer edit: damage formula might be: time saved = sum(sqrt(damage dealt per source))/1000, massive thanks to kakaroth79

This one is pretty simple. You want to maximize damage done. I did about 1.6m damage per fight (data here, looks piecewise linear?) Here is how to get ~2 minutes saved:
  • Shrap
    Coldform
    Frigidalmatian
    Only fight cold trucks. This requires prep before your "fast" attempt:
    • Use a mask
      Banish one with nanorhino
      Banish one with ice house
      Banish one with pantsgiving
      Sniff cold trucks
    Use another mask, this is for your "fast" attempt
    BUFF (expanded below)
    Shrap all the cold trucks
    Use a crystal skull on the remaining non-cold truck (I'm not sure this works, but you won't be able to do anything useful, thanks to coldform)
You can choose whatever truck you want. You'd need to use a hot phial to align Frigidalmatian if you use Volcanometeor. And you need a phial if you use Shrap. So you may as well use Shrap as whosits are cheaper than volcanic ash.
edit: actually, since lantern/snow mobile work, your only real choice is stinky trucks or cold trucks.

You want to maximize total damage done by spells. Ideally you'll have 400 base myst. You'll buff three things: spell crit (you should be able to get this to 100%, or close), spell damage and myst, in that order. +10% spell crit means double damage 10% of the time. So if you're at +1600% damage then +10% crit is like +160% damage. Of course don't go over 100%. That's like crossing the streams.
There is a fair amount of buffing stuff that requires stomach. Each truck drops a +100% spell damage food. Witch's bread is excellent. And then there are queen cookies and cool donuts. And elven moonshine for booze and cosmic paste for spleen. Then there are some things which might require turns like Simmer and (if you lack free rests) Pyramid power. There are a lot of untradeable equipment that's useful here: Staff of the Roaring Hearth, Stick-Knife of Loathing (for Disembodied Hand), cursed finger ring. So that might affect how well you can do here.
Since you're using a lot of organs, you could eat, use a PYEC, rollover, use a PYEC again and have 29 turns of buffs. Whatever.

Good luck.

Nitty gritty:
Shrap is 9x geyser. Hobo spells are 6x. Frigidalmatian is an additional 3x. So Shrap + phial (or volcanometeorshoweruption vs. hot) gains you 50% damage.

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Post by lotsofphil » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:59 am

So, on the hare, it looks like the function that maps damage dealt to time saved is applied per round, not total. Either that or my testing hit a linear spot where X damage saves Y time and X/3 saves Y/3. That relationship needs some more analysis. I think that might have been the source of my confusion on snow mobile/lantern, which, now, I think work.

Also, wolf writeup is in place.

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Post by lotsofphil » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:06 pm

Cinderella trophy #3 added thanks to artman186.

Eroquin
Pie of the Sky

Post by Eroquin » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:39 pm

lotsofphil wrote:Wolf Stuff
The last important piece before we start plotting is that some things (equipment and familiars, no known effects though) can block the house attacks or stun them. This is huge.

So, a question. Will the current wolf strategy work without the blocking equips? Because those are all going to be stopped from working. I made a bug report about some (unrelated) wolf stuff, and this also got brought up in conversation with the responding dev. Long story short, those aren't going to work either. No idea if this will be a sooner vs later fix, but it's going to happen.

I'm wondering if this distro of stats will still be the best if you can't block anything.

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Post by lotsofphil » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:52 pm

Eroquin wrote:
lotsofphil wrote:Wolf Stuff

So, a question. Will the current wolf strategy work without the blocking equips? Because those are all going to be stopped from working. I made a bug report about some (unrelated) wolf stuff, and this also got brought up in conversation with the responding dev. Long story short, those aren't going to work either. No idea if this will be a sooner vs later fix, but it's going to happen.

I'm wondering if this distro of stats will still be the best if you can't block anything.
You'd probably want less defense. As for blocking changing, I wouldn't hold your breath. Seems like things either get fixed near-instantly or linger for a while. There is no way they didn't know about blocking and the content is about 3 weeks old already. There hasn't been an unbeatable run since I posted this. I'd just get your wolf whistle today. 300 should be easy peasy. Even MonocleBot got one :)

edit: the actual numbers of "increased damage per turn vs. offense/defense/lung capacity" are things I jotted down in my rambling notes. The ideal stats after 1 NC, 2 NCs, 3 NCs is something that should be able to be figured out. Then just pick the one that gives the most kills.

Caspanion
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by Caspanion » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:40 am

Yeah, there is very little competition there is on the wolf board compared to some of the others (Witch & Hare seem to be drawing a lot of stronger runs). I suspect it is because the Wolf tale is just not that much fun, with a lot of tedious clicking. It's a shame, since it has such a nice consumable reward for good scores.

Strategy without blockers... Rabbits and Elemental breaths would be slightly more useful, but I still doubt they would be good enough. You'd probably just equip -ML, banish the Rabbit-droppers, take Improved Huffing on the 1st NC, and whatever stat (offense/defense/lung) you did worst on for the 2nd NC. It is also possible (but unlikely I think) that you would want to do a 3rd NC.

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Post by lotsofphil » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:19 pm

In the wolf game, for a brief period the skeleton buddies worked. They don't anymore. Well, the delevel (useless) and the Rogue (attack) still do. At high levels the Rogue does a fair amount of damage. So I guess you should run those now. Thanks for the tip goes to Andyzero.

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Post by lotsofphil » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:44 pm

Witch minigame
I don't have a strong strategy here, but this should suffice to beat most of the runs I've been seeing. Should put you around 10k.

Mechanics
You get candy by killing monsters.
You can overkill (needs spading) certain monsters to get defenses, but this means you don't get candy that turn.
You get an NC with 6 turns remaining and one with 2 turns remaining.
The NCs can yield info, candy (*see below) or defenses.
After 10 turns, you get attacked. You'll face three attackers. Depending on your defenses, each one will take 10-90% of your candy on hand.
Monsters in the Sweet-Ade Lake and the Eager Rice Burrows drop 100 candy, base.
Monsters in the Gumdrop Forest drop 70 candy, base.
Candy drops are effected by +candy only. This includes the Peppermint Rhino.
Each defense corresponds to an attacker. Some of the defenses can kill more than one kind. This needs spading.
*Normally the candy NCs give ~250 candy. But if you make the right choice in the first Gumdrop NC, you can make one of them give 1000 candy. This is the most candy you can get from any one turn, so you should do this. The unlock persists, at least, across rollover. The amount of candy here is not affected by +candy drops.

Strategy
Since the candy loss is a percent of your total candy, candy gathered in the first window is less useful than candy gathered in the second window. That candy is less useful than candy gathered in the third window. So, you want to, if possible, spend all your candy-gathering turns as late as possible. This is my central idea. Aside from that I like to have 2 of each defense when defending.

Pre-run prep
1. Use banishers (ice house, nano-rhino, pantsgiving, crystal skull) and/or sniffing the 2 Sweet-Ade monsters and the 2 Eager Rice monsters that can't be overkilled.
2. Choose the first choice in the first NC in Gumdrop Forest. Remember where it says to go. Where it directs you will give you 1000 candy and persists at least over rollover.
3. Buff +candy as much as your budget allows. The lemony scale equipment disappears at rollover.
Run time
First round of defense
4. Spend your first 4 advs in the Gumdrop Forest, making parts.
5. Choose your first NC (with 6 adv remaining) in the Gumdrop Forest. Choose the second choice, for +2 random defense.
6. Make 2 moats by overkilling in the Sweet-Ade Lake.
7. Make 1 minefield by overkilling in the Eager Rice Burrows.
8. Choose your next NC (with 2 adv remaining) in the Gumdrop Forest. Choose whatever defense you have least of.
9. Overkill in Eager Rice Burrows for one more mine.

At this point you should hopefully have 2 of each in 4/5 defenses (depending on chance in the Gumdrop overkilling and first NC). You should have zero candy. Defend your house!

Second round of defense
1. If needed, replace moats and mines with overkilling. You want 2 of each.
2. Time to get candy. Kill things in the Lake or Burrows without overkilling.
3. Choose your first NC (with 6 adv remaining) in the Gumdrop Forest. Choose the second choice, for +2 random defense.
4. Kill things in the Lake or Burrows without overkilling.
5. For your second NC, you have a choice. Either bump up your lowest defense via the Gumdrop NC or go get 1000 candy from the special NC you unlocked in your pre-run prep.
6. Kill things in the Lake or Burrows without overkilling.
7. Defend your house!

Third round of defense
1. If needed, replace moats and mines with overkilling. You want 2 of each.
2. Time to get candy. Kill things in the Lake or Burrows without overkilling.
3. Choose your first NC (with 6 adv remaining) in the Gumdrop Forest. Choose the second choice, for +2 random defense.
4. Kill things in the Lake or Burrows without overkilling.
5. For your second NC, you have a choice. Either bump up your lowest defense via the Gumdrop NC or go get 1000 candy from the special NC you unlocked in your pre-run prep.
6. Kill things in the Lake or Burrows without overkilling.
7. This is the only difference. If you think your run needs/deserves it, use a pixie axie. It will give you ~900 candy (unaffected by +candy drops) at the cost of zero turns.
8. Defend your house!

More data
Source data here: http://tinyurl.com/mxr6agr

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Post by lotsofphil » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:20 am

Cinderella stuff
Scripts
Attached to this post are some scripts. All of these scripts will attempt to buy a grimstone mask if you don't have one in inventory:
cinderellaKill.ash: gets your 6 coins and kills cinderella. I believe this uses the minimum of turns to accomplish both of those.
cinderellaVomit.ash: gets your 6 coins and makes cinderella vomit. This does not use the minimum of turns. I will not be scripting that.
cinderellaFrame.ash: gets your 6 coins and frames Cinderella, then quits. I believe this uses the minimum of turns to accomplish both of those.
cinderella25.ash: an early attempt to maximize points. If you want to be almost completely spoiled, but not quite all the way, use this as a jumping off point.

Here are some notes to help you decipher cinderella25.ash, if you so desire:
I've got a script which gets 25 points and the vomit trophy. It is attached to this post and called cinderella25.ash. It will (if needed) buy and use a grimstone mask and run through a set course. I will try and improve it as I am able. It currently wastes 1 turn and is, apparently, 6 points short of optimal.

30. Get cigar (start rumor, get cigar box for mouse trap)
29. Inspect kitchen (get cinnamon, makes cinderella gluttonous, lets you set mouse trap)
28. Pour cinnamon in filling (makes cinderella gluttonous, lets you feed her tainted canoli later on)
27. Examine flowers
26. Pin flowers on prince (makes cinderella sneeze)
25. Examine flowers
24. Rub flowers on soap (makes cinderella's sneezing worse once you ditch her hanky)
23. Start alcoholic rumor (makes kicking soap more effective)
22. Take some soap (for first kick and bait)
21. Take empty cigar box
20. Take whiskey flask (makes her slur her speech)
19. Wasted currently
18. Take a piece of cheese
17. Set mouse trap with soap
16. Examine flowers
15. Baroness
14. Baroness
13. Dance floor baroness
12. Bathroom, steal ipecac
11. Spike canoli tray with ipecac
10. Spike cindy's drink with whiskey
9. Give cindy tainted canoli
8. Get mouse
7. Mouse in purse
6. Borrow hanky
5. Kick soap at cindy
4. Get soap
3. Kick soap at cindy
2. Get soap
1. Kick soap at cindy

Points/Turns Rundown:
23, 22, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 give a total of 10 points: 3 for each rumor-fuelled kick, 1 for the rumor itself
27, 26 give a total of 3 points: 2 for 1-pt sneezing fits, 1 for the last 2-pt sneezing fit after she's lost her hanky
25, 24, 6 give a total of 2 points: 1 point for making her 3rd sneezing fit worse, 1 point for making it worse when she vomits
28 gives 2 points for her being gluttonous (???)
30, 29, 22, 21, 18, 17, 8, 7, 6 give you a foaming mouse (+2)
29, 16-11, 9 give you a tainted canoli (+7)

something like that, work in progress
Attachments
cinderellaFrame.ash
(4.85 KiB) Downloaded 298 times
cinderellaKill.ash
(3.16 KiB) Downloaded 292 times
cinderellaVomit.ash
(6 KiB) Downloaded 244 times
cinderella25.ash
(6.24 KiB) Downloaded 518 times

sham
Fie the Pie

Post by sham » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:38 am

thanks for sharing phil!

lightwolf
AFH

Post by lightwolf » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:26 am

hurray scrips!

also, fyi, the paperclip and angel hair whisp work for wolf blocking as well. though paper clip takes up an acc slot and hat slot.

Eroquin
Pie of the Sky

Post by Eroquin » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:20 am

Alas, every time I tried earlier to get the whistle, someone was a few higher, or had a tied score that they got first. Why does this matter? Because I just learned that the wolf has now been fixed.

Got the "Unfazed, your opponent attacks you anyway!" from double-ice, shock belt, mesmereyes, ancient stone head, pasta thrall, and attorney's badge. Guess we get to learn how to do it the legit way now.

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Post by lotsofphil » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:29 am

Eroquin wrote:Alas, every time I tried earlier to get the whistle, someone was a few higher, or had a tied score that they got first. Why does this matter? Because I just learned that the wolf has now been fixed.

Got the "Unfazed, your opponent attacks you anyway!" from double-ice, shock belt, mesmereyes, ancient stone head, pasta thrall, and attorney's badge. Guess we get to learn how to do it the legit way now.
Sweet!

Eroquin
Pie of the Sky

Post by Eroquin » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:06 pm

Heh, so turns Lightwolf was right without even knowing it! Paperclip still works for sure even after the changes, propeller beanie might work too. I guess when I say the thrall didn't block, I meant the pasta one that blocks the first attack like the mesmereyes. Maybe angel hair still works. So you've still got more time for rocking the blocking in Wolf...just, you gotta use paperclippery.

Also, devs were already aware of this, apparently, and just didn't fix it in the last go-round. So you're on a timer, but who knows how long you've got until the next fix.

Antipasta
AFH

Post by Antipasta » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:29 am

I put shrap on autoattack for the hare, and it gave me an extra combat round.

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Post by lotsofphil » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:08 am

I am going to look at wolf minigame again. /me reminds himself.

artman186
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by artman186 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:02 pm

Hi Phil, I'm still really interested in maximizing that score in the Stepmother zone. I heard through the grapevine that cannonfire40 had it mapped out, and when I checked with him he mentioned the maximum score is achieved through the "rumored disease and opium route". I didn't ask for outright spoilers, obviously.

This leads me to believe that we're missing some fundamental payoff for starting a rumor that Cinderella has a disease, I have yet to find what it is other than the normal +1 bonus at the Canapes Table. I'm also curious how to cash in on the opium route, as this means bypassing filling the cannoli with cinnamon as this should trigger an overdose. My attempts to spade this out today net me a whopping 10 points =]

Antipasta
AFH

Post by Antipasta » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:13 pm

Fooling around with the wolf game has mostly taught me that you Philthy exploiters made it impossible to get into the top tier of scores for the rewards...

- None of the staggers that I tried have worked, including paperclip outfit and pasta thralls
- the HP combat restore pasta thrall didn't do anything, either
- a few things that damage attackers still work:
  • groovy prism necklace
    eel battery
    parasitic headgnawer (dmg appeared as physical in the prism necklace text!)
    pigsticker of violence (only when attacking pigs miss)
Best I could come up with for a strategy in the new era was to run -ML (hoa book, space trip) and kill things with a last huff instead of a puff, getting some free breath. But only scored 135ish.

edit - oh, and the skeleton rogue still works, but it acts at the start of combat and ends up killing low level straw guys that you probably wanted to puff away, so I think I did better without it.

starwed
AFH

Post by starwed » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:53 pm

Fooling around with the wolf game has mostly taught me that you Philthy exploiters made it impossible to get into the top tier of scores for the rewards...
Using all the -ML I could muster ( -260) I was able to do pretty well.

16 offense, 34 defense, and 12 breath. Puff straw houses, blow the others. I was getting about 80 points each time, and spent 15 turns prepping. So it worked out to 410 points in the end.

For some reason piling on negative ML increases the damage you do as well as (presumably) decreasing their HP. In the above run, I never need more than a single attack to kill a house.

starwed
AFH

Post by starwed » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:28 pm

Quick gnome game summary. This post is going to assume you've already mastered your crafting skills. (Olfaction is useful for gathering enough materials while practicing.)

How the game works
You gather materials in the village, then barter with parents for their children every 6 turns. So that's 5 barter sessions total.

You choose between bartering with the mother, father, or both at once. A successful trade with both gives +2 kids, but is harder. You effectively get only 6 trades each time.

Crafted materials give you a base of 5 children instead of 1.

Each parent has two vices that they will succumb too, and (I think) they always share a vice. Looking through the portal gives hints about these vices. AFAICT you can think about the hints as being generated like this: two vices are selected, one which applies to the parent in question, and one which is chosen completely at random. So if a clue hints at two vices, all you know is that at least one of them is true. There's a chance (1/6?) that a clue gives only one possibility, and thus gives you a concrete bit of information.

Three such clues are generated; one for each parent and then a random one. The table on the wiki seems accurate to me at this point.

Each vice has three items that appeal to it: one of the base 3, and two combinations of (base, advanced). You'll want to pay attention to these combinations when trying to maximize your score for the round. I believe that you can't successfully barter the same item twice to the same parent, but I might be wrong there. I'll update this if I get around to checking.

Strategy

I'm going by what the wiki and this forum thread have to say. I'd really appreciate extra tips here. :)
  • Just use clovers to gather materials if you're going for first. You get one of each per clover, which unless your name is leethal is going to beat running +item.
  • For each trip through the portal, make sure you have at least 1 of each crafted material, and a couple of the normal ones. If you get lucky you'll build up a better supply towards the end. You could use a semirare in the first five turns to give yourself a slight edge, but it's probably not necessary?
  • Use the low level materials to feel out what the parent's preferences are. The clues at worst give two possibilities each, so with two probes you'll know two of the parents vices. With most combinations, that means you can then make 3 offerings for 5 children each. That's 5 out of 6 offerings for the round used up.
  • You can also spend a material trying to guess the parent's mutual vice. I guess this should be successful 50% of the time. If it is, two of your offerings get +2 children.
By a quick calculation, this strategy should give you an average of 16 children for each round where you can't find their mutual vice, and 23 when you do. That's an average of ~97 children per run. Could be pretty swingy, though.

You should be able to do even better by paying close attention to the combinations. Sometimes a clue will be unambiguous, and sometimes you'll be able to resolve a clue and test for a mutual vice at the same time. Towards the end of the game (or if you use a semirare) you'll have a larger stock of the advanced materials, which means you can potentially make more offerings, or even use an advanced item as a probe.

Antipasta
AFH

Post by Antipasta » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:16 am

starwed wrote:I believe that you can't successfully barter the same item twice to the same parent, but I might be wrong there.
Not 100% sure what you mean, but it's not unusual to see a vice repeated when you tempt both parents - e.g. tempting the pair with laziness worked on my first portal visit, and again on my second, on a recent runthrough.

I just do it to collect rumplestitz potions, and a score of ~85 gets you the maximum two potions. I don't have any problem getting materials for that score by just running an item drop outfit and familiar with the usual "free" buffs like phat loot, ocelot, leash, empathy, forest friars.

starwed
AFH

Post by starwed » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:03 pm

tempting the pair with laziness worked on my first portal visit, and again on my second, on a recent runthrough.
Those are different parents, though.

I meant that, within one session with the same parents, I don't think you can barter the same item twice. (Or, at any rate, there's at least a chance that they'll reject it. I couldn't find anything concrete on this, but they certainly rejected it the one time I tried.)

Antipasta
AFH

Post by Antipasta » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:45 pm

Here are a few mafia scripts that I've been using to farm the grimstone stuff for the rewards:

cinderellaFarming.ash - get 6 coins, and enough points to get the Magnum of Fancy Champagne high value reward

stiltz.ash - run through the rumplestiltskin stuff, aiming for enough points to get the maximum 2x rumplestiltz reward
- for this one you need a high item drop outfit and a mafia ccs that will kill the mobs. I aim for 400% item drop. Use the forest friars, cheap buffs like knob goblin eyedrops, etc. It's not 100% reliable due to rng swing - maybe 85%.
- you also need to be able to craft the parchment/glass/filling from the basic drops
- it should be able to restart successfully if you stop for a semi-rare, or it stops itself
- there will be leftover stuff that you can manually craft into small golems, crappy cameras, etc. I didn't try to automate this part
- [edit] if you want to try using it to top the leaderboard, crank up your item drop (or use clovers) and increase the rescue_limit variable to 999 or something; it's currently set at 87 to guarantee the 2x reward drop, but not drive up the average score too much.

also, cinderella32.ash - get the max cinderella score. Taken from Ezandora's guide script - kudos to her for sharing the solution.
Attachments
cinderella32.ash
(9.86 KiB) Downloaded 472 times
stiltz.ash
(19.17 KiB) Downloaded 274 times
cinderellaFarming.ash
(8.46 KiB) Downloaded 201 times

MasterSilex
AFH

Post by MasterSilex » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:08 pm

I wanted a script for simply getting silver coins and not spending any other turns so I used a few scripts that were posted in this thread (thanks all!) to kind of cobble together this thing. So if you want to spend 6 turns and get 6 coins, silvercoins.ash is the script for you!
Attachments
silvercoins.ash
(1.58 KiB) Downloaded 183 times