Introductions...

Post your introductions here. Now required in order to unlock the private areas of the forum. Well, as long as you're actually in the clan.

Moderator: lotsofphil

Heliophage
Just Plain Old Pie

Re: Introductions...

Post by Heliophage » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:03 pm

Hello. I'm yet another member of the endless legion of people whitelisted for the latest contest, so I thought it would be mannerly to introduce myself. I've been gradually improving on my HC ascensions since starting with KoL somewhat over a year ago (honest I have!). I just did my first five-day ascension earlier this month, despite a horribly sloppy first day. I even made two BM leader-boards in the last couple months, somehow or other. While ascending, I'm slowly satisfying my completionist tendencies. I also like playing around with new content, and occasionally contributing to the wiki.

I've been quite looking forward to the contest for a while now--I'll be ascending on the 31st (hopefully right after the Halloween event's final hurrah). In any event, thank you for sponsoring such a nice contest!

mornay
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by mornay » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:10 pm

Hi! Just realized I've been remiss on not putting an intro on here. I've been playing for over four years, though often in a fairly lackadaisical way. Getting truly good at the game has been at the back of my mind for quite a while though, and the DitR contest sounded like a great way to focus my attention on that. Anyone who reads the log I'm in the process of posting for this current contest run will realize I'm no threat, but since getting more involved and learning stuff were my actual goals, I've already won :)

playultm8
Gatekeeper of Hell

Post by playultm8 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:43 pm

Hmm, I could have swore I already posted here, but I must have been distracted by something shiny....

Hi, I'm Playultm8. I'm pretty new here, but I'm hooked on the ascension game. It's like an enormous optimization problem, which is right up my alley. I'm jumping right into the HC ascension game, entering my fourth run (viewtopic.php?f=39&t=3839) into the DitR contest. I'm planning to keep plugging away on skill perming and IotM collecting until I can start take part in the HC speed game. Thanks for the DitR white list invitation!

-PlayUltm8

chameco
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by chameco » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:42 pm

Hello, I'm yet another one of the newly whitelisted players. Looking forward to getting to know everyone, please don't eat me. Thanks for this contest!

Lespectre
AFH

Post by Lespectre » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:17 pm

Good to see all the fresh faces!

dvmaprezson
Fie the Pie

Post by dvmaprezson » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:12 pm

By the way, to those it may concern, I am still in absolute control of the account dvmapretzel (#1346567). :)
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/dvmaprezson/AFHV2.gif[/img]

SavageYogi
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by SavageYogi » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:51 pm

Hello everyone. I was whitelisted for the recent contest, and realized I hadn't introduced myself. I've been playing steadily since 2007 on my main account (#1284577), and have had lots of fun and some success with Hobopolis, speeding alongside my clannies, The Desert Nomads. We hold slots #2 (Slime Love is our sub-clan) and #23 on the leaderboard. I've been half-assed trying to acsend sub-ronin for awhile, and find it hilarious that I finally did it with my low-skilled alt. I'll definitely be trying this speed thing again! Thanks for letting me hang out in chat! Sorry I didn't pipe up much, guess I was feeling shy next to all that optimal. :P

oly0015
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by oly0015 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:31 pm

Hiya

Well i'm 24, Male, from the poor state of Michigan, and started playing late 2003. I've bachelors in computer information systems and dual associates in computer science but no job to use them in currently. Some of my hobbies include hunting, fishing, fly fishing/tying, photography, and watching movies (if you consider that a hobby). For those playing I got Minecraft also but don't play it often, if you want to see my work so far just pm me.

Not exactly much of anything kol wise, in my younger kol times i used to run a small clan and be a big /trade fan but anymore I like just playing casually. I try (when i'm not poor) to run contests here and there such as the one this year on my birthday, july 15th which omri rocked. I do write some kolmafia scripts but beyond a few small projects and a farming script nothing major.

Thats about it for me, thanks for letting me join

Majromax
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by Majromax » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:08 am

Hello, I'm Majromax (#1636976, bcc), and I recently joined AfHk after the DitR3 contest. My 6/1242 was a personal best (by a full day) despite starting on the wrong day. My resources are fairly limited, but I'm interested in making the best of what I have.

I started playing KoL back in 2008, but after summer of that year too a ~2-year break. Too bad, too -- if I'd kept playing through I'd have Olfaction by now.

In real life, I'm a grad student in Applied Mathematics. So when you see me, I probably should be writing my thesis.

My proudest run so far is probably my 15/1773 bad-moon pastamancer, my first PM run ever, which narrowly hit the BM leaderboard at the time.

I hope to see everyone around!

zombiepops
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by zombiepops » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:56 pm

Majromax wrote: In real life, I'm a grad student in Applied Mathematics.
Hooray for more maths people! what area of applied maths is your thesis in?
Majromax wrote: So when you see me, I probably should be writing my thesis.
You can say the same thing about me too.... (back to the salt mines...)
I'm brainy for Zombiepops!

lostcalpolydude
Forum Maestro

Post by lostcalpolydude » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:27 pm

Majromax wrote:So when you see me, I probably should be writing my thesis.
I completed my thesis while procrastinating with KoL. There's still hope!
bmaher: Softcore character
lostcalpolydude: Hardcore character (abandoned)

Omri
AFH

Post by Omri » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:08 pm

I dropped out of grad school due to not completing my thesis while procrastinating with KoL so there's... oh, wait :(

Serra725
AFH

Post by Serra725 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:35 pm

Oh, Omri! :(

ETA: I'm... glad that I didn't have the internet when I was in grad school.

Fred Nefler
AFH

Post by Fred Nefler » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:38 pm

I got my Ph.D. while procrastinating with KoL. Mostly. I did disappear for a year or so to "focus" on my studies. But mostly it was just procrastinating. Good times, good times.

3BH
Pie of the Sky

Post by 3BH » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:08 am

Hi all, i am threebullethamburgler (which is sadly spelt wrong, because one who burgles is not a burgler but a burglar) or 3BH for short. I started playing a little over a year ago now and found this game to be something excellent to do while i didnt have much homework because freshman year of college is pretty much a joke. Now the homework has increased but im still here plugging away playing days i can and wishing i could play on days i cant. Look forward to seeing you all in chat.

Kronicko
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by Kronicko » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:08 pm

Hi, I'm Kronicko,
I'm just another university student who has been sucked into the giant addicting monstrosity that is KoL. I'm mainly here for the speed ascending stuff like most people, I guess. That's how I got into AFHk, from DitR III, anyways. My interests are skiing, studying like crazy, video gaming, being Canadian, and pleasant walks through the park. I'll try to be on in chat often but sometimes work gets a little heavy... My main goals are not to get kicked out of the clan for not being on enough, and speeding up my ascensions. So yeah, thanks guys.

Malygne
Pie of the Sky

Post by Malygne » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:31 pm

Hi all, my name is Mike (Malygne #2054251) and between ascensions, I'm pursuing a PhD in Computer Science. Maryth introduced me to the game a little less than a year ago. I'm currently going for faster HCNP runs and just hit my first 4-day so it's back to lucrecore for the hound. I've still got a way to go before I can be competitive but you AFH/AFHk members and your logs should certainly help.

NardoLoopa
Market Manipulator

Post by NardoLoopa » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:28 pm

Welcome aboard, Mal.

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:35 pm

Welcome, smart people!
"Have you ever heard the expression, ‘When life gives you lemons, make lemonade, and then throw it in the face of the person who gave you the lemons until they give you the oranges you originally asked for?’"

Sambal
Inscrutable Pi

Post by Sambal » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:31 pm

Kronicko wrote:Hi, I'm Kronicko,
I'm just another university student who has been sucked into the giant addicting monstrosity that is KoL. I'm mainly here for the speed ascending stuff like most people, I guess. That's how I got into AFHk, from DitR III, anyways. My interests are skiing, studying like crazy, video gaming, being Canadian, and pleasant walks through the park. I'll try to be on in chat often but sometimes work gets a little heavy... My main goals are not to get kicked out of the clan for not being on enough, and speeding up my ascensions. So yeah, thanks guys.
Which uni are you in? UBC by chance? if so we could grab a coffee and take a stroll in the park while talking KoL!

top1214
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by top1214 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:58 pm

Sambal wrote:
Kronicko wrote:Hi, I'm Kronicko,
Which uni are you in? UBC by chance? if so we could grab a coffee and take a stroll in the park while talking KoL!
Maybe Canada is one small town where evreyone knows each other...o_0

Kronicko
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by Kronicko » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:54 pm

Sambal wrote:Which uni are you in? UBC by chance? if so we could grab a coffee and take a stroll in the park while talking KoL!
No actually, I'm all the way over at McGill, so that might just be a bit tricky. But who knows? Maybe we'll meet up someplace in this small country of ours.

Verdigris97
Colonel Contest

Post by Verdigris97 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:05 am

top1214 wrote: Maybe Canada is one small town where evreyone knows each other...o_0
It's spelled Canadia. And it's tiny.

Welcome to Heck, Kronicko!

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:17 am

Kronicko wrote:No actually, I'm all the way over at McGill, so that might just be a bit tricky
Ooh, Montreal - one of my favorite places!

thelonegoldfish
Spy vs. Pie

Post by thelonegoldfish » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:50 pm

Hi again,

Figured I'd re-introduce myself since I'm actually in the guild now.

Characters are Felgod (in the guild) and Felgalt (the softcore lazy alt).

I'm out in on the east side of Seattle and tend to be online fairly late.

Jaelith
Pie in the Sky

Post by Jaelith » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:06 am

thelonegoldfish wrote:I'm out in on the east side of Seattle and tend to be online fairly late.
Pfffffft. West side represent!

PeaGravel
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by PeaGravel » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:32 pm

Hey everyone.

I'm PeaGravel. Or Matt in real life. I'm Canadian, but currently living in the Netherlands, working as a research scientist.

I played about half an ascension about 4 years ago, lost interest, and then got back into the game about a year ago. I just checked - my first ascension took 1908 days, which may well put me on some sort of leaderboard.
Since returning, I'm getting interested in hitting the other end of the boards as well. Played in DiTR recently, which was super fun, and got a whitelist into AFHk. I'm still pretty low-skilled, so I probably have a fair bit of work ahead of me.

Currently halfway through lucrecore (107 to go), and also working on my first basement run (level 24, haven't started diving yet. Soon). I heard basement diving gets boring in later runs. It's boring already! But, you've gotta pay to play.

Anyway, hi everyone. Nice to meet you all.
PeaGravel

caprosmaster
Spy vs. Pie

Post by caprosmaster » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:59 pm

Hey.

Figured now that i've got a WL with you guys(yay, valued visitor) I should at least introduce myself to those of you i've yet to speak too.

Hi, im Capros(master), from Hardcore Nation, as un-susprising as it may be, im interested in Hardcore Ascensions, so far only NP, but I may give oxy a bash, and phil is trying to get me into Boozy... I kinda fell flat on my face in ditr3, but, had a blast anyways, so thanks to you guys for that!

A bit about me, im currently 16, English and going to Sixth Form. Im studying Physics, Biology, Chemistry and Maths (mechanics, not statistics,) i'll be going to uni in 2012 (hopefully,) gotta say im looking forward to that. What would I like to do at uni? and where? Pharmaceuticals of some sort at Nottingham is the current plan, im sure i'll flesh it out more soon :p

Thanks for the WL!

Capros

Roippi
Pie of the Sky

Post by Roippi » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:42 pm

Hey Guys.

Thanks to gentle prodding from Quamper, I'm the new guy around here. So you get to blame him if I do anything stupid :D

Anyhoo. Name is Ben (IGN Roippi), I am a masters student in mechanical engineering in Boston. Seems like we have a lot of sciencey researchy types around here (after a quick perusal of the intro thread), so if anyone wants me to go into more detail about my research, feel free to ask. In a nutshell, I'm studying the material properties of bone, and how they are linked to skeletal fragility. Tell your gramma to get her vitamin D. Outside of school, I'm a rock climbing nut. Haven't done much outdoor climbing yet, but I climb mid 5.10 stuff and I'm planning on climbing Grand Teton this upcoming summer. I also enjoy horses and long walks on the beach.

Bleh, enough with the diary entry. In game, I just recently completed a 15 skill HCNP 4/910, which I'm pretty happy with. If I hadn't made some stupid mistakes, it would've beat Kelemvor's 902 :roll: I'll probably throw the ascension log up sometime soon, so people can take a look at it.

Cheers.

Euan McLeod
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by Euan McLeod » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:16 am

Hi all,

This is my first day in AFHk, so lets start properly and introduce myself. I'm from the Netherlands, am 32 years old and work as a civil servant on environmental policy. Because clearly the amount of snow we have here right now, shows us the earth is getting warmer by the day.

I've started playing this game in 2007 and started a clan with a couple of friends when Hobopolis was first introduced. Sadly i'm the only one who is still playing on any sort of regular basis, so my home clan has become more like a private clan. It's given me the opportunity to do lots of solo Hobopolis and Slimetube runs though, cause it's fun to collect dungeon loot (and doing those runs helped me on my level 30 trophies, cause i'm a tattoo and trophy collector as well). The amount of satisfaction when you finally get that Slimeling without any outside help is priceless.

I try to speed up my ascensions, almost exclusively hardcore, and recently managed my first 4 day run. Time constraints are a seriously limiting factor though, which is why i've been playing a lot of HCO recently. While still trying to do well and at least keep sub-ronin, not having to worry about anything but spleen makes it almost casual.

And then i suddenly got invited here, which should be a good incentive to keep improving my game and to finally break my silence and join that fabled kol-community. :)

top1214
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by top1214 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:46 pm

Euan McLeod wrote:Hi all,

Because clearly the amount of snow we have here right now, shows us the earth is getting warmer by the day.
I hope you're joking. Increased snowfall an be related to increased global temps, as warmer temps elsewhere in the world leads to more moisture in the air, which when it passes over you, leads to a ton of snow.

reverkiller
Promoter of Heck

Post by reverkiller » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:55 pm

top1214 wrote:

Because clearly the amount of snow we have here right now, shows us the earth is getting warmer by the day.
I hope you're joking. Increased snowfall an be related to increased global temps, as warmer temps elsewhere in the world leads to more moisture in the air, which when it passes over you, leads to a ton of snow.
I hope that my beliefs about the world don't put bad ground between us, but I stand by the "The world is fucking insane and there is nothing I can do about it and I'm going to die anyway so I'll smoke a pack a day" theory. Also I like snow.

Euan McLeod
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by Euan McLeod » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:14 pm

top1214 wrote:

Of course i'm joking, otherwise i wouldn't be working on environmental policy. But you don't stay a civil servant for too long (at least not a sane one) if you don't joke about the work you're doing, because everyone else does.

transplanted_entwife
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by transplanted_entwife » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:32 pm

reverkiller wrote:
top1214 wrote:

I hope that my beliefs about the world don't put bad ground between us, but I stand by the "The world is fucking insane and there is nothing I can do about it and I'm going to die anyway so I'll smoke a pack a day" theory. Also I like snow.
I like snow, also, along with large goblets of Shiraz.

Welcome, Euan =)

top1214
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by top1214 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:32 pm

Euan McLeod wrote:
Of course i'm joking, otherwise i wouldn't be working on environmental policy.
Remember, I live in America. The Republicans in the Congress in charge of environmental policy wouldn't think you were joking. Glad to know you are, though.

Also, snow rocks my socks.

Noeyedbuddha
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by Noeyedbuddha » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:41 pm

Greetings:)

My real name is Derek. I'm from Michigan born and raised. I've dabbled in college, but found out that I really need to find what I want to do for the rest of my life before going to deep into that. I'm currently considering enlisting in the Air Force. My interests include, obviously video games, music, technical aspects, and intelligent conversations; as well as enjoying time with friends.
I'm here so I can learn how to ascend both quickly and optimally; before descending into the depths of HC or BM.

Anything else feel free to shoot me a kmail in-game. NoeyedBuddah (#349300)

redundantswami
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by redundantswami » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:51 pm

Hi, I'm redundantswami, but in ~*real life~* I'm Kohl. I'm a sophomore in high school, and my hobbies are hanging out with my friends, playing lacrosse and running track. I'm #829387 in game and have been playing this game since I was like..9..haha..but I've finally decided to join the AFHk and start improving my hardcore ascensions. I've got the resourse, now I just need to rack up the skills! Hopefully this clan should help. =)

here's a picture of me and a beautiful w1m3n..

MrJolly123
Pie in the Sky

Post by MrJolly123 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:13 pm

My previous introduction from 3 years ago - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4&p=9226#p9226

I've come back from taking a break for a couple years. Decided to try things out again. I'll soon be starting some softcore ascensions to relearn everything I've forgotten, and stuff that's new. Thanks for letting me join up again.
MrJolly123
(#246456)

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:34 pm

Welcome newcomers!
"Have you ever heard the expression, ‘When life gives you lemons, make lemonade, and then throw it in the face of the person who gave you the lemons until they give you the oranges you originally asked for?’"

DesertMagic
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by DesertMagic » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:13 pm

Hello! I am DesertMagic; my nickname's Morleh (my real name's Morley). I'm 15 as of now, and going to turn 16 when it is March 4th. I'm a sophomore in high school, and I live in Southern California. Other games I enjoy are J-RPG games, mainly those of the Shin Megami Tensei franchise, puzzle games (I'm a huge fan of Layton) and visual novels (some of my favorite being 999 and the Gyakuten series). My favorite series of all time would have to be the SMT series, the Persona branch specifically (although I enjoy most of their other games, like the main SMT series).

I guess a picture couldn't hurt -- if you can't tell my ethnicity, I'm Asian.

I've been playing KoL since November 15, 2005, when a friend introduced me (yeah, I was at 5th grade at the time; unfortunately I did not know what was going on much). My online name was DesertMagic at the time; usually now, I post my name as Morleh, but for nostalgia's sake, I decided to use my old DesertMagic name. I took a few breaks during my game time; the most recent being over a year ago, lasting for a long time. I suppose I'd classify myself as a diamond, although I'm far from a good player. I prefer Hardcore, but gathering trophies, tattoos, familiars, items, etc are some of my other goals (which explains my current LV30 trophy loop; I'm doing it in Softcore so I can finish my Trivially Skilled and Eerily Skilled trophies without feeling like I wasted a Hardcore perm).

Since I was in 6th grade or so, I've always wanted to be in the bigger clans. Sadly, due to my immaturity at the age, it caused me to get kicked out of those clans. By bigger clans, I don't necessarily mean the huge clans, but the clans with good names; the clans that I can enjoy discussion about things I enjoy. I was in a somewhat happy clan, but only two people really play in the clan now, and the other one doesn't really talk much. I've always enjoyed the work of some of these "big" clans, but never actually had the courage to join one. I'm was a shy person in real life (that's not the case anymore, thankfully), and that carried on to my internet persona.

There's probably more I should say about me, but I don't have the time, unfortunately -- I have finals this week, so I'm studying right now. For those wondering, I'd like to say I'm an established student, but I don't mean to be smug about it; I'm taking marching band, English (honors), Spanish (year 2), trigonometry/pre-calculus, chemistry (honors), and world history (AP). I have to maintain my grade, so I'll be studying for most of the next week, and probably a few days after final's week. I want to become a more active person in KoL, but school does come before recreation. I'll be around in chat a few days from now, and drop by soon after.

Well, thanks for accepting me! I'll try my best to be a benefactor for the clan. :P

Jersey_Tomato
Recruiter of AFH/k

Post by Jersey_Tomato » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:05 pm

Hi all. I just whitelisted over to check out your clan.

Here--I'll just quote the very serious-sounding kmail I sent to lotsofphil:

My goal is to develop a well-rounded, powerful, and fast character who can handle all areas of the Kingdom. I'm currently in the process of HC perming a core set of versatile skills, getting key familiars, etc. while learning more about strategy and game mechanics. I'm enjoying chipping away at my daycount and starting to concentrate more on my turncount. I'm less than 2 months from olfaction and hoping to get a VIP key soon.

Other than that...I'm female, 39, and (obviously) live in New Jersey. I play Pokemon (TCG) pretty seriously, run a league, and they even let me judge tournaments. Which is fun until someone cries.

Thanks for whitelisting me, and I'm sure you'll see me in chat asking noobish questions.

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:50 am

Welcome, DesertMagic and Jersey_Tomato!

kruncho
Pie of the Sky

Post by kruncho » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:25 am

Hi, I'm not whitelisted (though I'd be interested in looking at how,) but I've enjoyed reading the forums enough that I wanted to sign up and at least say thanks. Maybe even post a log if it's sufficiently detailed. I really need to find questions to ask before posting it, because otherwise it may be bragging to people who're much better at this than I am.

I began playing almost a year ago, with a 3 month break. I found Stupac's guide useful to get close to subronin then consistently subronin. Lots of stuff in it didn't make sense before, but it really does now. I try to make sure that every time I ascend, I try something new or interesting--for instance, I always used to do the nemesis quest (stop giggling--I wanted to save the karma for later ascensions,) and my last TT run avoided liver of steel in an effort to make a new record. It missed.

[edit to add: someone did tell me about how aftercore was a good time for the nemesis quest. I've been doing things that way, since. Higher weight fairy + extra buffs + not needing to pull items = simpler & I don't need the super weapon. Thanks thacon!]

I barely missed out on a 3-day ascension my first post-Crimbo try, and it gave me confidence to go for one later. I got it, but that was due more to insane turn generation than actual turn-cutting strategy. I think I've been very fortunate to try things just as some very powerful improvements have come by.

I'm still doing a lot of fiddling. I haven't permed a lot of really good speed skills because I want to try hardcore and perm them there. My plans are to get a PM L30 run, get the hound dog, get a 3-dayer as a SC and DB, and then try hardcore as a DB to perm the "real" skills that could get me under 600 turns. Plus, I probably still use my gravychaun too much.

Well, I'm off to read more ascension logs. It's neat to see the different styles and different classes, and how those affect what people pull.
Last edited by kruncho on Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:35 am

Welcome, kruncho. You can still do the nemesis quest after you've broken the prism to get karma.

skinz
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by skinz » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:20 pm

Hello. I figured i should introduce myself since i finally decided to apply for a whitelist and have been lurking the forums anonomously for about 2 months now. I have been playing KOL off and on for a few years now. I am in the Army and am currently playing KOL from Afghanistan. I am a member of the same clan as Jersey_Tomato. I enjoy my clan but am looking for a clan to help me learn the advanced mechanics of KOL and hopefully one day make an appearance on the leader boards. I started researching speed runs during crimbo because I was tired of brute forcing ascensions. I found Stupac2's guide on the KolWiki and started reading Ascension logs on this site. I made my first attempt at a speed run just after crimbo finished. I was successful at my first sub-ronin run, but only by a few turns. I have continued ascending and my turn count and day count have dropped. I was able to make a 3 day ascension but that was mostly an accident. I would like to be able to learn from the members of AFH and AFHK in order to one day make the SC leader boards.

Rotund
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by Rotund » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:44 am

Thought I'd briefly introduce myself.

Playing KoL for over a year now and racked up a few ascensions, but only recently started dabbling in HCNP (mainly for the stainless outfit, but now find myself strangely drawn to HC).

Looking forwards to getting to getting to know you all a bit better, meanwhile I'll probably lurk around clan chat until I find my feet.

Oh, that was quite brief, wasn't it? Hurrah! for having a slight air of mystery :)

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:02 am

Hurray mystery!

Draco Cracona
Gatekeeper of Hell

Post by Draco Cracona » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:19 am

Rotund wrote:Thought I'd briefly introduce myself.

Playing KoL for over a year now and racked up a few ascensions, but only recently started dabbling in HCNP (mainly for the stainless outfit, but now find myself strangely drawn to HC).

Looking forwards to getting to getting to know you all a bit better, meanwhile I'll probably lurk around clan chat until I find my feet.

Oh, that was quite brief, wasn't it? Hurrah! for having a slight air of mystery :)
Not seen your feet about, you got any idea who lopped 'em off?

Or did MERB find you and dine on your feet?

zombiepops
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by zombiepops » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:42 pm

Rotund wrote: Playing KoL for over a year now and racked up a few ascensions, but only recently started dabbling in HCNP (mainly for the stainless outfit, but now find myself strangely drawn to HC).
come for the shinies, stay for the endless pain and your own entry in the DSM-IV....

also, Welcome.
Draco Cracona wrote:Not seen your feet about, you got any idea who lopped 'em off?
ohh? my money is on the butler having done it! the butler is always the one who done it.

zanchvegas
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by zanchvegas » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:42 pm

Heya AFH,

My name is Gregg, though you know me better as Zanchvegas. I am a 34-year old technical sales rep. living in Southern, NH with my wife and 2 awesome children. I have a bachelor's degree in American History and Politics (and as such love to argue, or at least used to before i had kids). I enjoy listening to live music, reading sci-fi & historical books and playing kickball during the summer months. I also enjoy hanging with my friends and making fun of bad movies. KOL has attracted me due to its intellectual player base and its infinite sarcasm. While I thoroughly enjoy the game play, and when I say game play I mean speed, but its humor has kept me coming back for more.

My goal in joining AFH is to learn and share with an elite player base that are interested in the same aspects of the game as my own. Also, I love badgers. Never hesitate to reach out to me if you ever need anything.

Z

Ringwraith
Inscrutable Pi

Post by Ringwraith » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:01 pm

Welcome, ranchvegas! And the other newcomers too :)

If you like terribad movies, check out Rottweiler. It's fabulous.

underdog_43
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by underdog_43 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:57 pm

Hey all!

I've just been whitelisted to AFHk, I'm planning on working towards AFH acceptance. I'm interested in Hardcore speed ascending, mechanics and botting/scripting. I've done 15 ascensions, and my current goal is to do a 5-day.

On the personal side, I'm in programming/IT, looking to back to school for graduate degree in math.

BCC's and Stupac's awesome work on guides/botting/everything else brought me here.

Thanks!

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:15 pm

This clan really has quite a few mathematicians...

reverkiller
Promoter of Heck

Post by reverkiller » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:53 pm

Even more programmers and wanna-be programmers.

zombiepops
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by zombiepops » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:45 pm

reverkiller wrote:Even more programmers and wanna-be programmers.
<math>and the union of the two sets is not emtpy either.</math>
Welcome underdog_43

Doctor Nick
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by Doctor Nick » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:07 am

Hi I'm "Doctor Nick" and newly whitelisted to the Alliance of Heck courtesy of Stupac2.

I've been around for a while in KOL but this year I want to get speedier and complete my first 2 day run.

At present by best is a 3 day 603 turn softcore run, so not a million miles away, but I now need all the help I can get (and my other clans aren't speed focussed).

Thanks in advance for any help!

reverkiller
Promoter of Heck

Post by reverkiller » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:55 am

Hi Dr. Nick!

(Simpsons, right?)

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:30 am

Are you a real doctor? A real nick? A real worm? Welcome!

Teel
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by Teel » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:48 am

Wow, all this time in KOL and I finally know what dvmaprezson looks like... ;)

In game I am Teel, RL Daniel. I've been playing since 2005, though I took some breaks in that time for major life events, mostly revolving around moving, my job and having a son. Some of that time I spent HC ascending, some aftercore farming. Luckily I have most of the items and familiars I need to consider serious HC ascension and I just started toying with RoyalTonberry's 4 day HC guide. My best is getting down to 6 days, but I am hoping adding more skills will speed me up. I've only got 29 or so HC skills at my disposal currently.

TrueEevil got me a courtesy whitelist to AFHk via Stupac, thanks to both of you. My hope is that hanging around people who know and do it will teach me some ninja tricks so I can get to 4 or even 5 day HC runs. I have limited KOL time in a day and typically play PT from 8 to 11 pm though I am known to hang in chat via mafia during the day. I've been a member of SevenLances.com for as long as I can remember, but they don't really focus on speeding up ascensions.

That's me in a nutshell. Nice to meet you all if I haven't already.

HippoKing
Pie in the Sky

Post by HippoKing » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:05 am

stupac2 wrote:Huzzah physics!
Seriously, I just took a look at this thread for the first time in forever and there's physics everywhere. Nice to be able to circlejerk about it somewhere (starting a particle physics PhD in October crew checkin' in)

dyffryn
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by dyffryn » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:06 pm

Hi there. dyffrynthedrunkengael here. you can call me dyff for short :)
I've been playing KoL for almost four years now... in that time I've had an increasing interest in speed ascension as well as other aspects of the game. I spend a lot of time in chat and i've been in the run of social /newbie clans since then (One Sec, Nouveau Riche, black lung, etc.) As of late I've been dissatisfied with these types of clans not focusing on improving players abilities, so I decided to give AfH/k a shot. I'm not too fast really, best SCNP is like 4/730 and HCNP is about 6/1430 so I still have a lot of work to do. Maybe you guys can help me out a bit.

-dyff

Ringwraith
Inscrutable Pi

Post by Ringwraith » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:12 am

Hello Dyff, and welcome!
Feel free to ask questions in chat - we're a friendly and helpful bunch, and there's always someone around(usually).
You can also post a commented log and clannies will offer constructive feedback and tips on how to improve your game.

Have fun, and see you iaround!

alex9009
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by alex9009 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:10 pm

Hey clan, my name is Alex and I'm from Indiana. I'm 20 and currently attend Indiana University. Anyone who roots for Purdue is my enemy. I started playing KoL about 5 years ago now, which is a bit crazy to think about... But only recently have I had a sustained interest in speed ascending. I can now consistently get under 700 turn 4 dayers, which I am excited about, but I have the long term goal of being able to do 3 day runs consistently. Hopefully once this semester is over and I'm not so busy, I will have the time to post a log or 2 so I can get some feedback from you guys. I am very happy to be in an active clan for once and especially happy to be in a clan that preaches excellence.

Let's see, a little more about me... I am a pretty typical college student, I drink heavily frequently and put all kinds of horrible things into my body. I often sleep for 12 hours straight without getting up to pee. I am an American History major. Neither me nor my roommates ever cleans anything in my house. And last, but not least, I am 6 feet 5 inches tall.

Glad to be here! ;)

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:06 pm

Welcome, Alex! It's good to have another big ten person around to counter all the PAC-10ers.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:02 pm

thacon wrote:Welcome, Alex! It's good to have another big ten person around to counter all the PAC-10ers.
Your divisions are named Legends and Leaders. The complete lack of any sense of shame means you're a total joke.

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:27 pm

stupac2 wrote:
thacon wrote:Welcome, Alex! It's good to have another big ten person around to counter all the PAC-10ers.
Your divisions are named Legends and Leaders. The complete lack of any sense of shame means you're a total joke.
See, Alex? My point exactly.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:35 pm

When OSU gets curbstomped in the Rose Bowl yet again we'll see who's laughing.

playultm8
Gatekeeper of Hell

Post by playultm8 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:57 am

stupac2 wrote:When OSU gets curbstomped in the Rose Bowl yet again we'll see who's laughing.
You mean after they win the NCAA bracket in two weeks?

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:23 am

stupac2 wrote:When OSU gets curbstomped in the Rose Bowl yet again we'll see who's laughing.
Give it a few years for our bowl ban to expire.

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Post by lotsofphil » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:07 am

Benchwarmers will serve the bowl ban. Starters will be suspended for the yearly grudegmatch against the Akron Sisters of the Poor.

Also, please don't let OSU into the title game. Doesn't anyone remember Indiana-Maryland?