Introductions...

Post your introductions here. Now required in order to unlock the private areas of the forum. Well, as long as you're actually in the clan.

Moderator: lotsofphil

dvmaprezson
Fie the Pie

Introductions...

Post by dvmaprezson » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:16 pm

If you are new to the forum, please introduce yourself here; this is particularly important if you have been newly whitelisted to AFHk--many of our members follow this thread and will be thrilled to greet and welcome you to /clan.

Come on, introduce yourselves here.

My names Larry, I'm 20 years old, live in suburban Philadelphia, PA. I attend college, and work at Best Buy. Been playing KoL for almost 2 years now. I played a few spots in high school, notably hockey and soccer. Don't really play any now, my real hobby is probably this game. It's my vice. I drink, lots, when the opportunity presents itself. So don't be suprised if you're in chat on 2am on a Saturday night and I'm trashed. :lol: I have a strong drive to be the best, and to be associated with the best. Hence, why I started this clan. I hope to see it flourish in the coming weeks, until it hits 40ish members. I don't know what else... If you wanna know anything about me, just drop me a K-Mail or a pm. I'm always happy to answer. :)

And here's a pic so you get a face behind the name.

QuantumNightmare
AFH

Post by QuantumNightmare » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:22 pm

Well, I'm Josh from Montreal, Canada. I'm in engineering at university and loving it. I used to work at a competitor to Best Buy that got shut down last week. Ahem. Anyways... Sports are my major hobby, I play plenty of hockey and squash every week and have for the past 4 years. Before that it was floor hockey. I'm very competitive in what I do, and like most people I consider myself above average at anything I put my mind to. So I love the winning that comes from sports. I used to love computers and computer games, now I'm sick of them - besides KOL. That's my one computer habit, and i've been playing for a few months, not quite a year.

Anyways, here's a picture of me. Don't mind the hard hat - it's a university initiation thing.

Zurich
AFH

Post by Zurich » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:16 pm

Name's Sterling, 15 (16 on Fool's day) I'm a high school Sophomore and I live in Hawaii. I have a part time job matching businesses with a high powered trans-Atlantic marketing company and delivering newspapers on Sunday. I surf, bodyboard, handboard, bodysurf, whatever I want to do at the beach.

Last edited by Zurich on Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/8643/zurichbarcopyhu7.png[/img]
Sipping juice boxes in paradise.

hellraiser6969
AFH

Post by hellraiser6969 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:02 am

I'm hellraiser,I'm livin in SoCal right now,pretty much life guard during the summer.I'm a big time speed ascender in game focused on reaching 100 ascensions. Can't really think of much more to say...

qqzm
Pie of the Sky

Post by qqzm » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:13 am

My real name is Stephen, I'm 26, and live in Cambridge, UK. I work as a programmer.
I've been playing KoL for about 15 months, during which time I've ascended 74 times. My current goal is to collect all the low level (<=11) skills permanently. I'm missing 19.

qqzm

Sinshlad
Inscrutable Pi

Post by Sinshlad » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:56 am

I'm Sinshlad, or just Sam outside of the game. Currently 17 years old and living in Australia. Outside of this game I basically go to school or work for the better part of the day with the occasional peep at the television or computer programming if I have the chance.

In the game my current goal is to assure comfortable places on the lifetime PvP and most ascensions leaderboards, so that come NS13 I can look at my name on what should be a permanent leaderboard. After I think I have enough in both I'll probably get off a few hardcores before NS13 prefferably a HCO TT in there.

Though I plan on being fairly active in the clan, I might be a little inactive over the next couple days, well, enough that I won't have time to ascend anyway. This might be good news for the clan though, it gives me the chance to break ronin and maybe help dvmaprezson stock the stash with items that could be of use in softcore ascensions.

snakesauce

hello all

Post by snakesauce » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:09 pm

My name in game is SnakSauce, but please call me John. I live in Lancaster, PA. I work for a tobacco company as a factory manager. I won’t bore you with the gory details about what I do unless you ask. I’m 34 years old and I spend my non KOL time drinking, reading, messing around with my dog (an English Bulldog named Parker). Anyway, I’ve been playing KOL for over two years. SnakeSauce is my third character. One of the others I lost due to inactivity, and the other just sits around doing nothing since I only have time for this guy.
I’ve been doing hardcore ascensions since the whole ascension thing rolled out with the exception of my first ascension and one other ascension where I failed to click the hardcore box (I never said I was smart). I have 80 under my belt at this time. I did 6 oxycore runs early in my career, but it’s been over a year and I don’t think I did them particularly well. I may return to oxycore after I have permed all the hardcore skills to see if it doesn’t suck as bad as I remember. It usually takes me four to five days to do a run depending on stat days and luck. I’m sure many of ya’ll could give me some great advice on how to do better. I spent the past few months perming all accordion thief skills and disco bandits skills, so I think I have the moxie classes down pat. Right now, I’m working hard on getting the ‘must have’ skills that I don’t have like smashing and trying to learn more about Spookyraven manor to speed up my runs.
I would really like to make the most hardcore ascensions leaderboard and I think I’m creeping up on it………………………….. so close, but yet so far. I am honored to join a clan with common goals and I hope to contribute to our mutual success. I have 80 ascensions worth of stuff built up in Hangnaks (or whatever the place is called), so if you can think of anything I might have that you might need, I would happy to send it to you to help speed up your runs. I will drop all of my excess snowcones in the stash for softcore use once I free the king tomorrow. I’m not sure if they will be of use, but if they are, help yourself. I would be very interested in knowing what people around here normally pull for softcore runs so I can add some useful stuff to the clan stash.

KingPoo
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by KingPoo » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:29 pm

Hey, I'm KingPoo (totally just a random screen name I thought of at age 13 and it stuck) I'm 21 now and a Computer Science major in college. I'm from Rockford, IL which is pretty close to Chicago for people trying to place it.

Socially, in game I've never interacted much with the community and this is my second clan ever. I've just had general attempts at increasing my speed hardcore runs. I did my first 3 day HC around new year's, started using stasis, fell in love with hero stasis, and attemped but failed a 1 day softcore. Now I'm doing a casual teet gourdcore run just to relax.
And then he laughed.

Raccoon
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by Raccoon » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:48 pm

I'm an almost 40 year old law professor at a large Midwest state university. I've been playing KOL since October 2005, just before White Wednesday. These days, I like to stasis my way through level 7, sometimes the level 8 and 9 quests as well, though the decreased availability of shields has made that harder.

I'm still looking to complete my first 3 day HCNP . . . with luck, it'll be this run (87 main stat, 3 immateria collected in 2 days).

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:26 pm

Charbroiled here. A sort-of-old-timer here in KOL. Approaching my third year of playing. Tomorrow will be 1000 days. Started playing the game with my roommates in the summer of 2004 and it became an obsession as we blasted our way to the top of the clan warfare leaderboards.

Since then, I've been all about the ascensions. Should have started HC, but didn't know any better :P Now I strictly stay in HCNP and finished up my first 4th day.

I remember the old Alliance From Hell and did battles with some of those guys. I hope we live up to the infamy of the name!

In the real world, I'm David. 34 and I'm a stage manager for the arts and entertainment industry. I work all over the country with famous and not-so famous performers and shows. I spend a good portion these days in Pennsylvania (I'll be in Lancaster in May) when I'm not in New York.

Look forward to seeing you all around.

dvmaprezson
Fie the Pie

Post by dvmaprezson » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:42 pm

Make sure you guys register, too... *coughsnakeandcharcough* :)

That way you can see the private forum.

TrueEeviL
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by TrueEeviL » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:32 pm

TrueEeviL here. I've Been playing for exactly 2 years (yesterday) and dabble in every facet of the game. I have accounts specialized for Ascension, Buffbotting and even PvP.

Im mainly a softcore guy, I hang out just under the leaderbaord level, as in 290-350 turn runs. I plan to try a speedcore run this myst day, then rip off 15-20 stright 2dayers.

Personaly I dont give out a name. Not because I'm afraid of you internet people or dont want my identity stolen :roll: , its just what it is. I live about half an hour from Albany, NY and am a Senior in high school. I intend to major in Computer Engineering, but I sucked at high school until late last year so we shall see about that. Im quite athletic, but play no sport currently (Soccer up to 10th grade). I should have been a back-up running back in football. Despite the fact Im extremely hard to tackle, I'm "too small" at 5' 8" 145lbs, so instead a spectator is me. I still do more extreme sports like Paintball and Snowboard.

datavortex
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by datavortex » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:06 pm

Hey, DataVortex here. Joined the clan under my softcore speed ascender multi (my only active multi) RooR. I've been playing since 2004, but I created RooR in 2006 to play softcore.

RooR just finished perming all the skills (except for Spirit of Rigatoni), so he took a vacation and got the level 30 trophy for Saucerors. Now he's in his first ever hardcore run which is a lead-in for my first 1-day attempt. Hope to do a single-day ascension before NS13 rolls out!

You can see more info about me on the wiki. Cheers.

lordhades15
Fie the Pie

Post by lordhades15 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:08 am

My name's lordhades15. I started in July of 2005 and played around for awhile. Around a year ago, I began to seriously speed ascend. Since then, I've got a one-day under my belt, as well as the fourth fastest teflon booze run of all time. I'm active and have quite a number of ascensions under my belt. Every now and then I play a hardcore ascension, but I'm several several hardcore ascensions away from being able to do speed. My goal this year is to add around 10-15 hardcore ascensions to my record. If you have any questions about me or anything I do, let me know.

Outside of KOL, I work on a crisis hotline and go to school at Kent State University in Ohio. I am engaged and will be getting married next year. Thanks for the invite.

lordhades15

PS - I'm 22 years old.

angry1
AFH

Post by angry1 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:41 pm

Angry1 here. I'm 30 and glad I am not the oldest one here. I joined right around white wedsnday. I have done most softcore runs with a few hardcore runs mixed in. I will probably focus more on hardcore in the next few months due to my work schedule. After that I'm think about doing a string a 100% familar runs. My plans change all the time though.

If I can do anything to help just let me know.

okbye
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by okbye » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:03 am

I think I'm the oldest, I was 42 in November. I'm used to it though, this game is full of young whipper snappers ;) My name is Barb and I have been playing since June 04. I have like 8 accounts but only have time to play 2 anymore. The others just sit there and look pretty, and hold my stuff. I work part time processing student loan consolidations. It's not terribly interesting but it pays the bills. I have 2 dogs and a cat and the internet is my main hobby. I spend a lot of time on a message board that is based on the cooking show Good Eats but we talk about other stuff more than food. Thats about it, I don't drive so life can be pretty boring.
I'm working on perming the rest of the skills, don't know how many are left. Not sure what I'm gonna do after that, work on getting all the tattoos and trophies I guess. My #2 character has around 170 ascensions, just coasting doing 2 day SC's is boring but I don't want to lose my place on the leaderboard.
I started and have run Kolish Killers for over 2 years. It's not a terribly interesting clan but I am coasting with it until they get around to coming up with something to do with warfare. I am definitely not holding my breath though.

Charbroiled

Post by Charbroiled » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:19 pm

I just want to say HELLO OKBYE.

We go way back in the old days of Clan Warfare.

Glad you're here!

okbye
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by okbye » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:54 pm

You were a big help to me in my early days of clan warfare, I really appreciated it. It still doesnt really make sense how they do stuff but it's worked for me so far.

smackdown92
Pie of the Sky

Post by smackdown92 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:10 pm

I'm Zurich's friend from Chestnut Tree Cafe. I'm techically not in this clan, but I'm whitelisted, so I'll be sure to drop in once and a while. I have 76 ascensions, and just completed my first 1-day ascension, using my brand new hockey stick. I'm currently on the leaderboards for a softcore disco bandit run, and a softcore teet accordion thief run. That's been my goal lately, (along with getting a 1-day) and I've enjoyed getting it.

My name's John, and I live in central PA. Quite a boring place. Anyways, glad to be (sort of) in the clan. I would send in a multi to have here always in my place, but the way I see it, that kind of ruins the point of the clan(as all my multis have a very low amount of ascnesions).

I would be more than happy to give advice on how to do a 1-day. And I have a log of my 1-day, which I'd be happy to post on the forums, if I'm given access to the other parts. (I get some message saying that I don't have the right privledges, which means an admin has to give them to me)

Raz
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by Raz » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:34 pm

My name is Paul, currently residing in Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, UK. I turned 40 last week and have just about gotten over the hangover, but am still waiting for my life to start. I work for the Citizens Advice Bureau, in both a voluntary advisory role and as an admin worker, the latter i get paid for, but me being lazy i only do a 3day/18 hour week, so i'm always broke!

My main hobby is photography, nothing heavy just happy snapping and playing with my shots in photoshop. You can find some of my work here http://www.photozo.com/album/showgallery.php?ppuser=5431&cat=500

I have been playing KoL since January 2005, and never even entered chat until i had ascended for the first time, yeah i must have missed loads doing that, especially as my first ascension was almost 300 days. Currently i am on my 100th ascension, which includes 21 HC runs. I class myself as a lazy ascender, doing things the easy way rather than the optimal way, but with all the helpful information on this forum and help from the clan, this may change... or i may just stay lazy! I am currenlty in SC but plan on returning to HC again pretty soon.

I can't post a pic as my photobucket accont seems to be broken....

...strike that, i created a new account, here i am! :)

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/dvmaprezson/AFHV2.gif[/img]

Tzabor
AFH

Post by Tzabor » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:40 pm

My name is Dave, and Okbye is no longer the oldest...I'm 43. I'm a retired, disabled AF vet who discovered KOL almost exactly a year ago and turned into a mad ascender.

I've got a pretty good knowledge of game mechanics for both HC and SC...I'm very diamond-y/ spadey...but I don't do the bleeding edge speed stuff. I just like to poke things to see how they work and ascend every day.

Oh yeah...and I have a Guayabera.

=)

okbye
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by okbye » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:32 pm

Yay! I'm not the clan old fart anymore!

TrueEeviL
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by TrueEeviL » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:38 pm

Well, your still OLD!

Please dont hurt me.

*Hides*

bluemeat
Pie of the Sky

Hi

Post by bluemeat » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:53 am

I'm bluemeat.

RL name Andy, 31, living in the UK. I'm a recent addition to AfHk and seem to have shot to mild fame by pulling a 408 turn ascension during a contest I didn't even know was happening ;-).

KoL-wise, i'm a relative N00b, but I've now got 28 runs under my belt and a good batch of EQ. I'm currently still getting to grips with the joys of MLs above 11, so my last few runs have been a bit off whilst I get used to stat management again.

Phyphor/Culcube who I know IRL and lives close to me got me hooked. It's all his fault ;).

Raccoon
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Re: Hi

Post by Raccoon » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:54 am

bluemeat wrote:I'm bluemeat.

RL name Andy, 31, living in the UK. I'm a recent addition to AfHk and seem to have shot to mild fame by pulling a 408 turn ascension during a contest I didn't even know was happening ;-).

Welcome, bluemeat, and congrats on winning a prize in the Monarchy contest!
[img]http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u218/mad_hamish/raccoonsig.jpg[/img]

schlicke
Just Plain Old Pie

Greetings!

Post by schlicke » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:09 am

Howdy all,

I'm Scott (alias: Schlicke). I live in Ohio, work as tech support, and spend a lot of time worrying about whether or not I am properly armed for when the Visigoths attack.
At every crossway on the road that leads to the future stand a thousand men designated to guard the past.

~Maurice Maeterlinck

TrueEeviL
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Re: Greetings!

Post by TrueEeviL » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:54 am

schlicke wrote:and spend a lot of time worrying about whether or not I am properly armed for when the Visigoths attack.

Well if you have to ask...

ThunderSource
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by ThunderSource » Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:16 pm

Hey, James here. I just turned 16 in December 2006, and have been playing KoL for nearly four years.

I started with an account called James, and made Thunder once James was hacked (Yes, leet haxz0rring actually existed then). Since then, TS has been my 'main' meanwhile James power levels, PvPs and well puts on the part of being poor.

TS, on the otherhand is an Ascender, and I even have a tiny plastic version of him. Well, enough of the KoL history, and back on to me, hehe.

I also have a different picture on the KoL pics page, but it's a little outdated. Oh, and i'm not wearing eye makeup there >.>

okbye
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by okbye » Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:44 pm

TrueEeviL wrote:Well, your still OLD!

Please dont hurt me.

*Hides*

okbye chases eEvil around with her cane
Come back here you whippersnapper!

TrueEeviL
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by TrueEeviL » Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:47 pm

okbye wrote:okbye chases eEvil around with her cane
Come back here you whippersnapper!

OkbYe cant capitalize right, says EeviL.

Also, thundersource is james, as in the PvP target. That I did not know :!:

Archayts
AFH

Post by Archayts » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:27 pm

Hey, I'm Bo, I'm 17 and have been playing KoL for just over 6 months.

I live in Australia and am still in high school doing the remainder (5 units) of my HSC this year.

Recently joined AfHk, after showing a good ascension history and hitting some familiar leader boards. I've done 24 runs, all but the first were in HC and have recently been doing pretty relaxed 100% hobo 4-dayers.

QuantumNightmare
AFH

Post by QuantumNightmare » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:42 pm

Welcome to AFHk, archayts. So you're the guy doing the constant 4-dayers, I was a bit impressed to hear about that.

Archayts
AFH

Post by Archayts » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:58 pm

Thanks Quantum, I've been doing 4-dayers since my 17th run, just after I got my hobo and tested it out/figured out what having a stat familiar was like.
My last run was a 5-dayer, only because I wanted to start a 3-day HCNP 100% hobo attempt on a moxie stat day (+halloween was nice). Hope I'll be able to do them fairly regularly once I start switching between item drop familiars though.

Raccoon
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by Raccoon » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:02 pm

Let me add my welcome, too, Archayts! That's fantastic that you've hit 4 day runs so fast. It's always good to see another dedicated HCer in the clan(s).
[img]http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u218/mad_hamish/raccoonsig.jpg[/img]

ThunderSource
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by ThunderSource » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:05 pm

PvP target, yes. I understand there was some serious happenings in the last 2 weeks. I think it's all over, and forgotten about now, though.

I hope..
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/ThunderSource/Kol%20stuff/DMCTSsig.jpg[/img]

TrueEeviL
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by TrueEeviL » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:16 pm

ThunderSource wrote:PvP target, yes. I understand there was some serious happenings in the last 2 weeks. I think it's all over, and forgotten about now, though.

I hope..

Yeah IP had some fun with you from what I heard. I was less sucessful, but made a few hits :wink:

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:45 am

Hello, Flolle here.

My real name is ..., I'm ... years old and live in ... (Germany) most of the time. I study computer science there. For about every second weekend I'm in ..., my actual hometown, to hang out with my family. Sadly, I've got no internet connection there, but I figure that it's a good thing to get away from computers once in a while.

Some friends of mine introduced me to KoL one and a half years ago, but they stopped playing pretty quickly. I played pretty casually for quite a while, before I began to focus on speed ascension and I stayed with that aim ever since. I guess moving to a clan with the same aim is just the next logical step for me. :D

Edit: Upon further reflection, it's probably not the best idea to have private stuff about you on the internet, if it isn't really necessary.
Last edited by Flolle on Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VladimirPootin
AFH

Post by VladimirPootin » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:16 pm

28, live in a factory in brooklyn in hasidic neighborhood, record music, play music, and consult for cash from wall street firms.

here's me casting magic missile on my roof:

[b]AFH: Now with more [i]new and improved[/i] moral ambiguity![/b]

Brulak
AFH

Post by Brulak » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:09 pm

Hi. Brulak here, real life name not relevant. I am 33, have studied computer science and now work as programmer in a small internet company here in Hamburg, Germany.

I got dragged into this game with a few other people from German language MUD "MorgenGrauen" in early 2005 and have stayed since then. No multies, except I occasionally babysit my girlfriend's spading/farming/"let's do something utterly crazy" account.

My goals in the game are the "do everything see everything" kind - at this time, I am in a state of boredom. The game has become way too easy and speed two-dayers don't fascinate me. So I do anycore anypath ascensions based on what chatbot offers me (and have made #1 of her leaderboard recently), or do 100% odd familiar runs (14 down so far), or collect HC skills.

Pascal
Inscrutable Pi

Post by Pascal » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:19 pm

Hey, I'm Thomas, I got trapped into this KoL thing a little over a year ago when my StumbleUpon (look it up, great firefox plugin) led me here. I think the reason this game is so addictive, for me at least, is the constantly shifting balance of the game from one day to another. One random IotM or Tuesday update has the potential to completely and 100% change the strategy needed to succeed. That's right, nerfs are good.

Other than that, I'm 25 and live down in Austin, TX. I've been studying languages for a while now, and got pretty good at Slavic languages while I was in Peace Corps. Now, I'm struggling my way through Mandarin and its abso-fucking-lutely terrible. I love it.

Also, I drink.

dvmaprezson
Fie the Pie

Post by dvmaprezson » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:34 pm

Haha, awesome pic!

VladimirPootin
AFH

Post by VladimirPootin » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:34 pm

Pascal wrote:Now, I'm struggling my way through Mandarin and its abso-fucking-lutely terrible. I love it.

one thing i learned when i was studying japanese is a deep respect for those who attempt to learn this disaster of a language some call "mandarin" (and cantonese is even worse).

Pascal
Inscrutable Pi

Post by Pascal » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:38 pm

VladimirPootin wrote:
Pascal wrote:Now, I'm struggling my way through Mandarin and its abso-fucking-lutely terrible. I love it.

one thing i learned when i was studying japanese is a deep respect for those who attempt to learn this disaster of a language some call "mandarin" (and cantonese is even worse).

At least sentence structure in Mandarin is fairly straight forward and verbs/tenses are possibly the easiest I've ever come across. Four tones aside, its not too bad. Japanese though? That's a conjugational nightmare. Ugh.

Mad Hamish
AFH

Post by Mad Hamish » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:19 pm

Pascal:Hey! I drink too! And I studied Mandarin! Hooray!

Glad to have you here.

Oh.

I haven't introduced myself.

My name is Andre.

I'm 28 years old.

I live in Ypsilanti, Michigan, in the United States of America.
On earth.

I like hardcore. Hardcore and PvP. It keeps me busy. In real life I'm studying computer science. Kinda. I'm on hiatus. Classes should start back up again this summer. I also manage an apartment building. It allows me a lot of idle time, but isn't very lucrative beyond free rent.

I also have been known to listen to the music of Cypress Hill. What that means, I leave you to interpret.
Hi-keebated again? No way!

shmacro
Pie of the Sky

Post by shmacro » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:46 am

Hey all-

Name's C. I'm 25ish (3rd KoL birthday is May 5), born in Michigan, raised in New Hampshire. And I hate snow.

I started out as a non-ascender, then discovered the joy of skills. Now I'm a Hardcore addict, and I'm getting into my groove. Somewhat of a diamond, somewhat of a spade (but always too late). I've slowed things down a bit and started my oxycore loop, but hope to get down to 5-6 days afterward.

I graduated with my degree in film, and now I'm working as a part-time projectionist, so I'm online constantly. I love to talk film, so if anybody else is a movie geek, suggest me some good ones!

Pascal
Inscrutable Pi

Post by Pascal » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:00 pm

Right on C, another movie buff is always cool, I just got into the joys of Takahashi Miike recently and am always looking for other people who know who the hell he is.

Oh, and Cypress Hill Andre? Yes.

Mad Hamish
AFH

Post by Mad Hamish » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:20 pm

Japanese movies, eh?

The only stuff I've ever really watched have been various Animes, especially Miyasaki. And Seven Samurai. As much as I hate to reference any Barenaked Ladies' music, Kurasawa does make mad films.

QuantumNightmare
AFH

Post by QuantumNightmare » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:35 pm

Barenaked ladies are great! The real kind, and the band as well. In fact, I'm going to go put them on right now.

VladimirPootin
AFH

Post by VladimirPootin » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:04 pm

for japanese movies, miike is awesomely over the top (and lots of people know who he is!), but for a more subtle (and perhaps more "japanese" experience) i'd highly recommend all about lily chou chou... amazing movie.

also i recently saw this movie hellevator that is like a trash horror movie from japan and is great if you worship at the altar of texas chainsaw massacre, night of the living dead, and the like.

and of course the japanese version of the grudge (never saw the american one, nor did i ever see the american ring) is fucking scary. and i don't say that lightly.

shmacro
Pie of the Sky

Post by shmacro » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:51 pm

Miike's segment was my favorite part of 3 Extremes. I didn't know much of his work beforehand, but I'm catching up.

I saw Ringu, but not the Japanese Grudge. I saw the American one, and wasn't too blown away by it. Maybe I should check it out, I could use a good scare.

And Vladimir, my last semester at college, Romero came to speak at our movie house. I got to shake the man's hand. Awesome. Now if I can meet Bruce Campbell...

VladimirPootin
AFH

Post by VladimirPootin » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:37 pm

ichi the killer is one of the most over the top ridiculous/disgusting/horrifying/amazing movies ever made. it's kind of awesome and also kind of boring and too long. dude could use a better editor. but if you like murder, torture, bodily bisection, bizarre quasi magic, and schizophrenic anti-heroes, it should be right up your alley. and who doesn't?

audition is even more over the top disgusting.

and the dead or alives are other ridiculous yakuza movies, though not as ridiculous as ichi the killer.

and that's about all i have to say about miike.

Pascal
Inscrutable Pi

Post by Pascal » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:09 pm

Okay, so everyone here is actually down with Miike? Oh yeah, I joined the right clan.

Audition is my number one. Its slow, subtle, and gives you eighty five minutes of a well made, thought provoking movie before he just goes nuts. And then you have needles.

Ichi I liked, but I'm flawed so that doesn't count for much. Gozu was far too Lynchian for its own good, and his particular episode of Masters of Horror was something of legend. Again, needles. But fuck. I mean, really, shit, fuck.

Fuck.

Prestige
AFH

Post by Prestige » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:08 pm

Those are great and all, but my favorite is Happiness of the Katakuris.

Hey, my name is Anthony, just got invited to your clan. I'm into hardcore... ascensions. Oh and it turns out I live a couple of blocks away from Zurich (though we've never met before). Nice to meet you guys.

Mad Hamish
AFH

Post by Mad Hamish » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:04 am

shmacro wrote:Now if I can meet Bruce Campbell...

Bruce Campbell and Sam Raimi are Michigan State alumni. Check the sweatshirt in Evil Dead 1. That house is around here somewhere, too.
Go Michigan!

edit: Prestige, love the avatar! Where'd you get it?

jorgensen
AFH

Oi.

Post by jorgensen » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:52 am

My handle on KoL is Jorgensen, but my real name is Jerm. You guys can call me whatever you want. VP invited me to AFHk a few days ago and I've never really been in a serious clan before, but I am definitely a serious player. Looking forward to some good KoL-learning and strategy tweaking via clan fellowship. Any questions about me, just ask. Piece with an ie.
-Jorgensen-

Kevlar
Inscrutable Pi

Post by Kevlar » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:03 pm

Hello.

I be Kevlar, of Yorkshire, UK. I am a caver.

I've been playing since Sept 05 but only seriously started ascending in sc last October to compete with my one-time mentor whinyolostmypants. Since then I've racked up the 2-3 dayers and have started reperming skills in HC.

I don't really have many in game aims at the moment, but began playing a little less recently due a girl appearing in my life which is great, but really detracts from KOL!

dvmaprezson
Fie the Pie

Post by dvmaprezson » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:38 pm

Kevlar wrote:I don't really have many in game aims at the moment, but began playing a little less recently due a girl appearing in my life which is great, but really detracts from KOL!

Trust me, I know.

She's cost me a few runs, here and there, by distracting me close to rollover... if you know what I mean.

Prestige
AFH

Post by Prestige » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:22 pm

Mad Hamish wrote:
edit: Prestige, love the avatar! Where'd you get it?

Glad you noticed it! I drew it myself actually. This was my old one:

QuantumNightmare
AFH

Post by QuantumNightmare » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:33 pm

Ha, I love that avatar. Can you work that into a signature? I'd be happy to wear the gallery around on my back any day!

Mad Hamish
AFH

Post by Mad Hamish » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:37 am

That's really great, too... I'd love to see some more. Mayhaps you should try your hand at an AFH sig in that sort of style....

dvmaprezson
Fie the Pie

Post by dvmaprezson » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:24 pm

I just realized they're like scenes from the game.

Epic win, prestige. I'll toss ya some meat if you make a nice siggy for AFH out of it. The gallery one, that is.

I'd so pimp that on the forums.

:D

theophrastus
Spy vs. Pie

Post by theophrastus » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:55 am

My name is Theophrastus Bombastus von Hohenheim, born 1493 near a little-known Swiss village, and I now live in Germany. Some call me Paracelsus, and my friends call me Leroy. I am here courtesy of Mad Hamish, a good KoL friend of mine (and off and on my mentor). Since the turn of the year, I haven't had much real-life time for KoL, which is why I recently spent 50 days on a GMS/gourdcore/gender bender/big boat run. I don't really expect that to have any appreciable amount of time for KoL any time soon, which is why I am now debating a string of HCO runs. I just don't have 2 hours daily to dedicate to KoL, which is where I would need to be to do decent HCT runs. Nevertheless, if I can manage to shovel a few days free, my goal is to do a 4 day HCT with HCT lead-in. Right now I have around 27 HCP skills. I am hoping being in this clan is going to help me learn what I need to know to do that.

-theo

P.S. Although I see some interesting parts of the forums are off-limits to me, which will make that a bit harder.

dvmaprezson
Fie the Pie

Post by dvmaprezson » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:09 am

theophrastus wrote:P.S. Although I see some interesting parts of the forums are off-limits to me, which will make that a bit harder.

Yeah, we here in AFH believe the Theo must be kept down at all costs.

Nah, actually I just had to add you to a usergroup.

eepie_chirper
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by eepie_chirper » Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:04 pm

I live in South Wales, UK, which means that I'm usually in a significantly different timezone to most players.
I've been playing since August '06 (not very long compared to some) and I've been Hardcore ever since I had the option. Also, unless there's a serious reason to the contrary, I do Teet runs - I just like them I guess - less hassle.
I tend not to use stat familiars very much, since getting my dandy lion, but now that I've got a basic stasis suite, I'm toying around with a shaman as my secondary. It's working okay. Still need more skills to be able to stasis more of the game though, since I can only handle a narrow band right now.
Current goal: Reliably do 4-day runs. I'm on the edge at the moment, but need to shave my way down a little bit more. After that, I'll start work on 3-day runs ;)
I don't care about the leaderboards at the moment, but maybe I will some day. I also have never done PvP, which would probably help my runs a little if I ever got the hang of it.
I spend most of my time lurking in /radio, joining in the occasional conversation, but usually staying quiet. Also, I tend to provide help and advice to other players if I can, and I'm currently mentoring my third newbie.

Playstyle: LTS, but learning to stasis
Tendancies: Primary Diamond, Secondary Spade, Minor Heart, No Club

Prestige
AFH

Post by Prestige » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:46 pm

Hey guys, I'll try making an AfH sig invoving the gallery. I was kicking around the idea since you mentioned it, but didn't come up with anything really good yet.

Oh and could somebody give me permission for the private forums as well?

Loq
Just Plain Old Pie

Hola...

Post by Loq » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:41 pm

Hola, me name's be Loq and well, I was gonna say I live in HC but so do rest of yal :P

What can I say? Vlad sank his claws into me and dragged me into here (I am just kidding!) I am relatively new here, only been playing for like half a year or so. Ahh.. lots of happy skill perming and speedy runs with no RNG screwage-ness to yal I guess?

Hope to learn lots from yal and anything I can do to help out just let me know.

PS. stupid signature got too long for me to paste in my cute cow :( so here it is! (hum.. on second thought, I should probably get rid of all the colors, it's hurting my eyes....)

[img]http://afh.s4.bizhat.com/images/avatars/afh/1775818134462bac87a4a1c.gif[/img]

Loq

QuantumNightmare
AFH

Post by QuantumNightmare » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:07 pm

Moo? Talk about embracing your mortal enemy as a HC player... Still, welcome to the clan!

csemaj
AFH

Post by csemaj » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:26 am

Hi, I'm csemaj (James C. backwards). I work for a large hosting company here in STL on a team that is still kind of hush hush, since the client hasn't announced the partnership yet.

I'm a linux geek, hockey player, guitar player, and KOL speed ascender (if you can call me that since I apparently still suck at it). I think DV has only taken pity on me since I have access to hockey sticks :D

dvmaprezson
Fie the Pie

Post by dvmaprezson » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:46 am

Stiiiiiiicks.....

:twisted:

Viva La Blink
Pie in the Sky

Post by Viva La Blink » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:05 am

Sup guys, my name is Dan and I go to College at the University of Cincinnati, and I am 19 years old (20 in august). I was born in Akron, lived in Solon, went to high school in Copley (ohio). Lordhades lives in Kent, I see...that's very close to where I am. I started playing KoL in september of '06, and I was kinda upset to see a 7-digit ID. People don't seem to respect those very much, but I'm planning on changing that.

I am in HCN right now, but Vlad tempted me to join AFHk with promises of awesome hobo-spading and hobo-speed. I just got my hobo the otehr day with a little luck in the MMG.

[offtopic] Speaking of MMG, Mr. Lordhades, I gambled against you a fair amount of times the other day with my multi "Sauce Plz". If I recall, you ended up winning the majority, but I still ended the night with green numbers :D
[/offtopic]

Anyways, I have only been a member of HCN for about a week, I was basically just looking for a gameplay-based clan, predominantly hardcore. So far I'm pretty impressed with the community here. I have 20 ascensions under my belt, 18 have been HC (3 of which were HCO) and I am in the middle of my oxy loop right now.

My fastest run is an 11 day/645 turn oxy run as a clubber with no air leadin (did have a shilly though). My next oxy run as a TT was 13 days, and my latest db run was also 11 days. I really enjoy oxycore, but as soon as I finish up my plexi outfit I will be returning to teet/no path. I look forward to getting to know you guys better, and I'll talk to you in /clan!