Introductions...

Post your introductions here. Now required in order to unlock the private areas of the forum. Well, as long as you're actually in the clan.

Moderator: lotsofphil

williabr
Spy vs. Pie

Re: Introductions...

Postby williabr » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:39 pm

thacon wrote:Welcome, lelolliga!

ETA: What about anagrams? Has anyone ever called you Illegal Dog Leg Tilt?

That is truly amazing.

littlelolligagged
Leader of Heck

Postby littlelolligagged » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:15 am

thacon wrote:Welcome, lelolliga!

ETA: What about anagrams? Has anyone ever called you Illegal Dog Leg Tilt?

That just cracked me up, then my daughter told me that I embarrassed her in front of the cat by laughing at the computer screen. The early morning hilarity just keeps growing.

Flying Spaghetti
Just Plain Old Pie

Postby Flying Spaghetti » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:05 pm

Hi, everyone! My name is Flying Spaghetti (same name in game) and I'm one of AFHk's newest white listers. I'm low-skilled and slow by AFHk standards, but I'm proud of the fact that I improve almost every run.

Looking forward to learning from all of you!

quamper
Leaks

Postby quamper » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:54 pm

Welcome Flying Spaghetti Monster!

Please refrain from touching me with your noodly appendages, thanks :)

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Postby lotsofphil » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:08 pm

I should mention that Flying Spaghetti won the prestigious "Gerund in Player Name" contest. So a round of applause for that.

top1214
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby top1214 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:46 pm

lotsofphil wrote:I should mention that Flying Spaghetti won the prestigious "Gerund in Player Name" contest. So a round of applause for that.

My favorite Doonesbury joke was "Expletive Gerund?" :-D

Also, I shudder to think what my player name won....

Flying Spaghetti
Just Plain Old Pie

Postby Flying Spaghetti » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:48 pm

My favorite Doonesbury joke was "Expletive Gerund?"

You're dating yourself... that cartoon was from 1985. :)

But I guess I'm dating myself just by knowing that.

top1214
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby top1214 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:48 pm

Flying Spaghetti wrote:
My favorite Doonesbury joke was "Expletive Gerund?"

You're dating yourself... that cartoon was from 1985. :)

But I guess I'm dating myself just by knowing that.

Born 1983. But my dad had/has Doonesbury books...toilet reading, ftw!

Flying Spaghetti
Just Plain Old Pie

Postby Flying Spaghetti » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:39 pm

Born 1983. But my dad had/has Doonesbury books...toilet reading, ftw!

It's official; I feel old. :)

maddsurgeon
Fie the Pie

Postby maddsurgeon » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:51 pm

I went back through a lot of the older Doonesburies a while back...some great stuff there. I'll date myself as only slightly older than Whore by saying that everything I know about Watergate, I learned from Garry Trudeau.

Flying Spaghetti
Just Plain Old Pie

Postby Flying Spaghetti » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:26 am

Well, I guess I can take some comfort from the fact that I'm at least too young to actually remember Watergate. The first Pres I remember is Carter.

Mechald
Pie of the Sky

Postby Mechald » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:04 pm

Hey all. Wannabe speed ascender here. I was mostly a SC ascender before the Valhallavamp, but since then I've also gotten interested in HC. My typical runs are ~3/700 for SC and 6-7 days for HC. More recently I've become interested in BM, because the whole "level playing field" thing appeals to me. So basically I'm all over the place. I joined AFHk because I figured being in a speed clan would help me learn more about the game, and because Phil is awesome and got me a slimeling.

In real life, I'm a 28-year-old lawyer working as a clerk for an appellate court judge in Chicago.

Good to meet you all :)

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby stupac2 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:41 pm

Mechald wrote:In real life, I'm a 28-year-old lawyer working as a clerk for an appellate court judge in Chicago.

Oh no, another lawyer? I thought Raccoon was all we could handle...

top1214
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby top1214 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:05 pm

Mechald wrote:Hey all. Wannabe speed ascender here. I was mostly a SC ascender before the Valhallavamp, but since then I've also gotten interested in HC. My typical runs are ~3/700 for SC and 6-7 days for HC.

Yay! Welcome to the club!
More recently I've become interested in BM, because the whole "level playing field" thing appeals to me.

Ooo, now you're playing the real game. :-D
So basically I'm all over the place.

Jacks-of-all trades are bestest!

Kronicko
Just Plain Old Pie

Postby Kronicko » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:08 pm

Hi there, I'll take Flying Spaghetti's claim and up it:
The latest President I remember is Clinton. Half because I'm super young, and half because I'm Canadian.
I'm here to complain to you about how I always seem to miss my HC 3-dayers by 30 turns.

Turns out made an account here a year ago, but then proceeded to take a break from the game.

schlurp
Dungeon Master of Heck

Postby schlurp » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:36 pm

I'm new here too, and by all appearances, I'm Flying Spaghetti's age. Did a campaign poster for Carter as a grade school project; cast my first vote to re-elect Reagan. And I remember reading daily Doonesbury strips back when the gang still lived at Walden. (Which means I'm probably older than some of your parents. *Sigh*)

Anyway, I'm here at JT's invitation, which I procured through some inadvertent deception. I've been spending the last two weeks in my own solo clan doing sorority house runs. JT took pity on my lonely 1-man clan and invited me here, not knowing that I've been a member of HCN for about a year. But I'm always open to new things, so with your kind permission, I'll like to sit a spell and maybe nose around a bit.

I joined KOL just after NS13 rolled out. Decided, for somewhat arbitrary reasons, to only ever do HCO runs. Had a rather undistinguished ascension history up until the last few months, when I decided to start taking notes, reading logs, making spreadsheets and all that stuff in order to go faster at which point I started hitting the HCO subboards now and then. My best run to date is 8/~710, and I'm aiming to go sub-700 when I start back into ascending in a few weeks (doing some solo slime tubes for skill glands while I'm leveled up first). I'll never be bleeding-edge fast (I'm not willing to work that hard at it), but my goal is to be able to stay at or near subboards pace.

I'm not usually much for social chitchat, in-game or otherwise, but I do like to talk spading and game mechanics. I'm mostly an ascender, at least until I run out of decent skills to perm. I tend to play right after rollover most nights. In the real world, I'm like Mechald -- a former lawyer, now working for a federal trial judge. (Sorry, stupac. I promise to quit as soon as my 401(k) rebounds.)

maddsurgeon
Fie the Pie

Postby maddsurgeon » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:23 am

schlurp wrote:My best run to date is 8/~710, and I'm aiming to go sub-700 when I start back into ascending in a few weeks (doing some solo slime tubes for skill glands while I'm leveled up first). I'll never be bleeding-edge fast (I'm not willing to work that hard at it), but my goal is to be able to stay at or near subboards pace.

Hey, those are my boards. :p

But seriously, welcome! Hit me up if you want to talk HCO strategy; I'm pretty consistently sub-700 now, and looking at your past runs, I bet you could get there with a few adjustments.

Draco Cracona
Gatekeeper of Hell

Postby Draco Cracona » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:48 am

Hey, Schlurp :) Seen you around on the forums a bit, good to see more HCO people about- definately a path we're strengthening :)

Getch
Pie of the Sky

Postby Getch » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:58 am

Greetings AFH. I'm a 46 year old software developer. I've been playing KoL for 11 weeks, and have fallen in love with it.

My best run (Lucrecore/Fist) is 9 days. My most recent was 12, because of repeated screwups (forgetting to read the diary, overdrinking on DoD potions, etc.) My #1 game goal is T.O. because it's such a big hurdle. My second goal is to improve my speed, which at this point is mostly a matter of not messing up in obvious ways.

I'm here because Jersey Tomato came visiting Old CW's last night and convinced me that I should come visit. She then convinced me to enter your DitR contest. She's pretty good at this whole persuasion thing.

Back to work for me.

~Getch

bleary
Pie in the Sky

Postby bleary » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:17 pm

stupac2 wrote:
Mechald wrote:In real life, I'm a 28-year-old lawyer working as a clerk for an appellate court judge in Chicago.

Oh no, another lawyer? I thought Raccoon was all we could handle...

Oh, how soon I am forgotten. Thanks, Mechald, for helping to raise the Chicago/attorney standard high.

top1214
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby top1214 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:36 pm

Getch wrote:
I'm here because Jersey Tomato came visiting Old CW's last night and convinced me that I should come visit. She then convinced me to enter your DitR contest. She's pretty good at this whole persuasion thing.

She made you an offer you couldn't refuse?

I just make offers you wouldn't want to refuse.

Sleeping Beast
Inscrutable Pi

Postby Sleeping Beast » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:33 pm

Hi everyone! I'm Federico, a taekwon-do instructor from Argentina -and former programmer-, and I've been playing KoL for almost four years now. I recently found out about Diamonds in the Rough IV -I rarely check the contests forum of KoL- and thought "Why not? I've been trying to improve my daycount lately and I'm sure these guys could help me"... Ok, my first thought was "OMG! Mr. As for free!", but then I thought everything else.
So I guess I'll be seeing you guys on chat soon!
Why so serious? A smile tastes better! =^..^= d:

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Postby lotsofphil » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:34 pm

welcome! porteno?

Eroquin
Pie of the Sky

Postby Eroquin » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:16 pm

So, another introduction from someone invited by JT to check out AFHk.

In-game wise:
Been playing since '07 (was actually shown the game in '05, but forgot about it as that was a busy time), trying to perm all the skills and what-not while balancing that with trying to collect any and all outfits and holiday items. While I liked trying to make my runs better, I never bothered with concerning myself on "speed ascending" for a long time, but with the advent of Fist, found myself turning in my first HC 5 dayer, and shortly thereafter my first 4.
Since the Where Do You Come From? thread seems to have gotten a bit dusty, might as well put that info here instead. For a long time I just didn't bother with clan stuff at all...then my newby-self learned about the goodies of a rumpus room and was in Senam's for a bit. Of course, then when I actually wanted to have a "clan feel" ditched them and eventually ended up in Chat Garden for a long time. (Not quite when it was the hip place to be, but certainly still good times.) That was fun while it lasted, but when the clan collapsed on itself due to drama llama infestation, I could only stay on board so long before finally abandoning ship and joining TITS. (The sister clan created from the Chat Garden schism by those who had left earlier.) But TITS has been going the inactive route for awhile now (heck, we didn't even open a HSH, I had to solo those in a clan I had set-up back during Crimbopolis), and I was thinking of joining a speedy-type clan - so JT dropping a message was quite the convenience.

Real-life wise:
26 years old. Currently back in Minneapolis, though with my fiancee looking for job stuff right now, who knows where I'll be in the future. Majored in English, which translates to "I'm glad I also happen to know a little about computers and thus have employable skills". Actually that's a lie; I have had one job relevant to writing - if you ever happen to look at the Home Depot website and are awed by just how impressive that power tool is, or how nice that paint sounds, then you will see some good I have done for this world. (Of course, if the description is awful and unhelpful, that one clearly must have been written by a co-worker, the jerk.)

Sleeping Beast
Inscrutable Pi

Postby Sleeping Beast » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:34 pm

lotsofphil wrote:welcome! porteno?

Yep! Though I moved out of Buenos Aires a couple of months ago, I'm still portenno, wether I like it or not...
Why so serious? A smile tastes better! =^..^= d:

Unnamed Hobo
Just Plain Old Pie

Postby Unnamed Hobo » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:22 pm

/me introduces himself

Hello! Unnamed Hobo here. I do actually have a name.. it's Hobo.

I like short walks on the beach (long ones tend to tire me out). I've been playing KoL on and off (mostly off, until May this year) since September 2007. Because I'm on-and-off, I was never really interested in the speed game and thought myself out of reach of that.

Again.. recently! Recently I had my awakening, thinking, "Hey, maybe I can do this. Not great, but decently!" and I sought out a modicum of speed. So here I am, competing in DitR IV.

I'm a member of SPCC (Senam's Country Club). Hope we don't get the Hog treatment here. :P

Anyways, greetings to you all! I'm excited to see you in chat (and I've already seen some of you). Huzzah!

JennyUnderpants
Cheats at Words With Friends

Postby JennyUnderpants » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:37 pm

Unnamed Hobo wrote:I'm a member of SPCC (Senam's Country Club). Hope we don't get the Hog treatment here. :P

I'd say my piggy ears were burning, but it was actually the email notification saying there was a new post in this forum, and I can't resist hyperlinks. Don't worry; we meanies are impotent here. I think it's all the studying; it's like our kryptonite. Enjoy the contest :) This is one of favorite ones to stalk. I wish they still did a betting pool...

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Postby lotsofphil » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:38 pm

JennyUnderpants wrote: Don't worry; we meanies are impotent here. I think it's all the studying; it's like our kryptonite.

We have them so, ahem, hogtied that they've started a book club over here :)

FufuBunnySlayer
AFH

Postby FufuBunnySlayer » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:32 am

Those poor defenseless books :'(

nworbetan
AFH

Postby nworbetan » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:21 pm

Hi, I'm, uh, really bad at saying hi, and also at introducing myself, and I use a lot of commas, but I'm especially good with run-on sentences. Of all the things in the world I enjoy, talking about myself is very very low on the list. (My IRL is kind of a mess lately.)

I've been having a lot of fun playing KoL this last year and several months though. And if I have my druthers, I'll still be clickin' and grinnin' in another year and several months too.

zombiepops
My Pie Blown Sky High

Postby zombiepops » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:44 pm

OMG PONIES!
I'm brainy for Zombiepops!

Unnamed Hobo
Just Plain Old Pie

Postby Unnamed Hobo » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:17 am

Nice teeth! :thumbs:

Jersey_Tomato
Recruiter of AFH/k

Postby Jersey_Tomato » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:17 pm

Welcome everybody!

Unnamed Hobo wrote:I'm a member of SPCC (Senam's Country Club).

What's the difference/relationship between SPNG and SPCC? I've been wondering about that.

twihard4eva
Just Plain Old Pie

Postby twihard4eva » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:25 pm

Hello Everyone! My name is Bethnilza and i hail from the Tropical Islands of Fiji!

I love reading, drawing, kol and flying(iam a pilot in training).
Iam a diehard Black Sabbath fan and anything everything classic rock.

I hope to make new friends in AFH and learn more about the kol gameplay as well!

Unnamed Hobo
Just Plain Old Pie

Postby Unnamed Hobo » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:44 pm

Jersey_Tomato wrote:Welcome everybody!

Unnamed Hobo wrote:I'm a member of SPCC (Senam's Country Club).

What's the difference/relationship between SPNG and SPCC? I've been wondering about that.

SPCC is kind of an extension clan, like how AFHk is an extension of AFH. But I don't think the line is as blurred as it is here.
So pretty much a daughter clan.

transplanted_entwife
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby transplanted_entwife » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:41 pm

Welcome, newcomers! Huzzah... commas, ponies, and Fiji! =D

Kheffin
Just Plain Old Pie

Postby Kheffin » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:32 pm

Hello all,

I recently came back to KoL to try my hand at speed-ascending again (Bad Moon made me quit the game. Twice, according to my profile). Still trying to get readjusted to new mechanics and such, but I'm hoping to learn from the people in this clan. My current goals are to run lucrecore until I get olfaction/hound (I hate this mechanic so much) and to perm a bunch of relevant skills to make ascension quicker. Hope to see you in chat!

- Kheffin

Shadow Tiger
Pie of the Sky

Postby Shadow Tiger » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:31 pm

Greetings Programs! :mrgreen:

Name's Jeff and I started way back during 4th of July weekend in 2005. Found out about the game by way of some folks I know, who also happened to be founding members of the Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot clan. At first I resisted making an account, seeing another cheesy web game that probably didn't have much depth. Then after being needled a bit, and watching my (then) wife play I decided to give it a try. A few months later I had three characters going, and I was playing all of them regularly.

I think my favorite thing about KoL is how Jick, Skully etc keep coming up with awesome ideas, jokes, and events. Especially when things go a little sideways. Like White Wednesday, good times. :lol: Wound up playing so much I finally had to take a break since it was eating all my time. Then NS13 hit, and I didn't like it. The mythical Real World got in the way too, and I stepped away for a couple of years.

Logged in again January 1st, 2011 and went 'Elf Alley? Wuzzat??'

I'm your average every day 37 year old geek, former software developer, former network engineer, master of shipping things that go down reptile gullets. No really, don't ask. It probably qualifies for Dirtiest Jobs, honest. I'm a far cry from Silicon Valley these days, but the times they are a changing. I read, I watch sci fi, play D&D (and other more interesting RPGs) when I have the chance. My sense of humor is definitely twisted, but isn't that true for everyone who plays KoL?

Eclectic, exuberant, enthusiastically bombastic. That would be me. I love collecting the toys, figuring things out and trying out strange and different ways of accomplishing a goal. Inspiring off the wall antics are another forte of mine too. Have I mentioned I tend to ramble? Maybe nobody noticed ...

eta: Did I mention I wound up over here by way of running in the DitR? I had far too much fun with that contest, and hanging with folks in chat. How could I stay away?

Hail Eris!!! :twisted:
Last edited by Shadow Tiger on Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

transplanted_entwife
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby transplanted_entwife » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:00 am

Welcome, Kheffin and Shadow Tiger! =)

artoke
Just Plain Old Pie

Postby artoke » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:44 pm

Hi, I'm artoke.

I have been playing KoL since late 2009 and have always had some interest in the softcore speed game. It was about a year ago when I first tried to push myself and see where I could get (at the time it was 4/681, which was a day and 200 turns faster than my previous best). Since then I have been doing my best to go faster, so of course when I saw the DitR IV contest I had to give it a shot. 2 runs later (one being a failed 2 day attempt) here I am. I hope to conquer the 2 day barrier sometime soon.

On a more personal note, I am currently going to a tech school for networking and database administration. I live in the frigid northlands of Pennsylvania (which is surprisingly warm for this time of year), and I'm usually on around rollover.

Blanky
Just Plain Old Pie

Postby Blanky » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:20 pm

Hi, I am Blanky. I am interested in knowing more about the speedier sides of the HC game but I generally refuse to incorporate many of the speed tips into my game. If anything I would call myself an efficient player- I try to keep my turn count somewhat low while keeping my real life time per day as low as possible. My 'time count' is mostly there to help me prevent severe burn-out. My motto is "K.I.S.S.- Keep it simple, stupid."

My history in KoL goes back to 2005-ish (I know I had the no pants at rollover trophy a long time ago). That account was deleted due to inactivity. I am generally a lurker in the forums and chat. I did spend a bit of time in HCN a long time ago but I decided BAFH was just as good of a clan for my needs at the time. I also spent time in my solo-clan doing slimetube runs for skills and leveling. I have always been interested in the other speed oriented clans in KoL but never really felt a need to join another one. Jersey_Tomato convinced me to come check you guys out after she received one of the "needy" presents I had sent out.

My real life name is Peter. I am 23 years old. I live in Canada. I am a sheet metal worker (aka tin smith, tin basher, guys-who-intalls-duct-and-furnaces).

noway258
Spy vs. Pie

Postby noway258 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:19 pm

Hey guys! I'm a 16 year old high school student living in Canada, and I've been playing KoL for...over three years? Feels like it's been quite a bit longer. :) I've taken a few breaks, a bunch were quite long, but I always seem to come back to playing this game. My last big break I believe I missed most of last year's Crimbo, which was unfortunate, and the Obtuse Angel, which was probably even more unfortunate. :( I've decided to join this clan because I want to get better at doing Hardcore runs, and hope to do a three-day HCNP someday. :)

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Postby thacon » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:35 pm

Welcome artoke, Blanky, and noway!

bodhazapha
Spy vs. Pie

Postby bodhazapha » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:48 pm

Welcome, fellow Canucks Blanky and noway! (and artoke, who understands what cold means as well)

Curbludgeon
Just Plain Old Pie

Postby Curbludgeon » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:13 pm

Hello, everyone. My name is Sean, and go by Curbludgeon on KoL. I'm glad that I didn't choose the similar portmanteau curmudgel as a handle, in that it's in use in-game. I'm interested in SCNP speedruns mostly (getting close to <600), with an eventual goal of a 2 day. I'm also interested in clan dungeon strategy, primarily for my shiny-focused multi in another clan. In applying to this clan I learned I was actually on an unofficial leaderboard (Normal WotSF dedication), which gave me an unexpected fuzzy. I look forward to submitting a log here soon, when I produce one not prone to any of the niggling errors that I can't seem to shake consistently.

IRL I'm struggling to write a novel about the trials of an insular religious community dealing with a Vingean Singularity through the eyes of their uplifted work animals, enjoy messing around with woodwind instruments and cooking, and recently got engaged to the prettiest girl in the world. She's a lawyer, and so I am quite pleased at the prospect of marrying above my station. I live in Louisville, Kentucky, and so am required by law to know entirely too much about bourbon, in case any of you happen to enjoy brown party liquor.

bodhazapha
Spy vs. Pie

Postby bodhazapha » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:42 am

Welcome, Curbludgeon! :)

DarkAxz
Pie of the Sky

Postby DarkAxz » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:59 am

Hey, my in-game name is also DarkAxz. Right now I'm a member of the clan We got Bawls, pretty nice people, though at a low point in activity right now. I've been starting to get serious about speed ascending lately and so have been doing a lot of reading. I get a lot of links directing me to this site from all kinds of threads and guides so I figured registering and posting would be a logical next step ;).

So far my runs have improved dramatically. A couple are skewed (the first being from before ascension even rolled out, and the second due to a lonngg hiatus), but over the past several months I've whittled it down and, after lots of spending on IotMs I've missed, have got myself somewhat accustomed to a 3 day SCNP ascension. Hopefully I'll be able to knock that down to 2 days in the next few months :). My plans are to use those runs to farm lucre and build up my skillset before tackling fast HC runs, but I may dive into BM before I start to rely too much on a large skillset. Right now I'm a TT working toward a telescope piece before ascending (a lot slower than I hoped it'd be, I'm getting antsy ;) )

Effovex
Recruiter of AFH/k

Postby Effovex » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:51 pm

Welcome DarkAxz!

Edit: wait a minute... you're not actually in the clan yet. Gotta fix that.
Last edited by Effovex on Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Postby lotsofphil » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:30 pm

DarkAxz wrote: Right now I'm a TT working toward a telescope piece before ascending (a lot slower than I hoped it'd be, I'm getting antsy ;) )

I'd suggest using the shield generator. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4363

Good job getting to comfortable 3-days. It's a nice place to be.

DarkAxz
Pie of the Sky

Postby DarkAxz » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:53 pm

lotsofphil wrote:
DarkAxz wrote: Right now I'm a TT working toward a telescope piece before ascending (a lot slower than I hoped it'd be, I'm getting antsy ;) )

I'd suggest using the shield generator. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4363

Good job getting to comfortable 3-days. It's a nice place to be.

Haha I actually stumbled on the generator trick on accident. I had been used to one-hitting everything with shieldbutt for a while and was doing the moons quest. I forgot about the little girl, so I figured when I gathered all the pieces of the EMU I could just go to the generator. It was weird to have to grind the monsters down and ended up getting pretty good stat gains from it. I figured it would be a good place to grind when clovers got too expensive, didn't know the monsters scaled though.

Also thanks for the welcome, guys :D

Loopyalc
Just Plain Old Pie

Postby Loopyalc » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:20 am

Hey all. I've been playing since mid 2004 (on my old account), but I've taken a couple of years off in the middle. My most recent hiatus was from late '08 to late '10. Since then I've been messing around with HCB, dropping booze when I'm really frustrated / at the tower. Over the last couple months I stumbled onto the HCB leaderboards via the time honored method of cribbing from various forum posts and hella expensive IOTMs. Lucked into having the scarecrow show up in the store the month I was looking into acquiring a hatrack. Zombiepops noticed me and I was persuaded to join the clan in part because I actually want to stay on those boards that other people are so rudely filling with their faster runs.

in RL, I'm a college student working with robotics.
In game Loopyalc (#363372). Almost always running HCB.

The Chort
Just Plain Old Pie

Postby The Chort » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:36 pm

Hey clan!

I'm The Chort. I've been with you guys for a bit over a month now, but finally figured out how/took the time to make an account. I started playing in 2005 at the age of 14, and here I am today at 22 still addicted to the same game. I've been a HC fanatic for quite some time, but haven't really been a contender for speed ascensions until recently. Quite recently, last November, I did my first 4 day and have been doing 4 day runs ever since. (If my ascension record shows a non-4 day-er, it's due to IRL laziness/busyness) My greatest accomplishments are my two 3 day HCTrendy runs. These recent successes prompted JT to drag me out of Old CW's to you guys. I'm looking forward to my time here, discussing all the most optimal ascension strategies with you guys.

Anywho, let's make even more leaderboards with the challenge path coming up in a few weeks. Good luck, everyone! :D

PastaLaVistaBaby
Just Plain Old Pie

Postby PastaLaVistaBaby » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:50 pm

Hello,

I am a new guest to your forums, been reading posts for a few days now.

I started playing KoL in March of 2007 on a different account. I created this account afterward in April because I did not realize you could ascend into different classes and wanted to experience different play types. Since then this account has become my main. I came to realize long ago that I really love to ascend quickly, and to find new ways in which to ascend faster. This comes with the danger of becoming burnt out, which I'll admit has happened to me several times.

I had largely been figuring the speed thing out with nothing but my own experience and the Wiki for a very long time, until just recently when I started branching out, and that's how I discovered this forum.

My current personal goal is to reach 3 days, 600 turns SCNP (closest I've gotten is 3 days, 665 turns)

Atheos
Just Plain Old Pie

Postby Atheos » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Why hello there! Newcomer here. I'm here to improve my HC game - my current goal is to make the leaderboard in Avatar of Boris... which will require me to do a run 1 or 2 days faster than my all-time best.

Atheos in game.

Nephry
Just Plain Old Pie

Postby Nephry » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:12 am

Hello everyone!

I'm Nephry, a 23-year-old from Montreal, Canada. I've been playing KoL for a year and a few months now; for the most part I've just been working on collecting skills and trophies and such, but recently I've started focusing more on speeding up my ascensions. I managed to leaderboard a few times last month, which was fun, and kind of addictive, heh. ;) I'm mostly interested in hardcore ascensions, although I'm currently trying out some softcore runs in the new challenge path. My goal is to be able to do reliable 4-day HCNP at some point, but right now I'm just having fun exploring and playing all the various paths. :)

I hope to say hello in chat soon and introduce myself there, I look forward to meeting you all. ^^

- Neph

top1214
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby top1214 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:45 am

Nephry wrote:
I'm Nephry, a 23-year-old from Montreal, Canada.

Does this mean your French is also better than Sham's? ;-)

Hi and welcome!

Guiseppi
Pie in the Sky

Postby Guiseppi » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:55 pm

Hello all. I think I've met many of you already in chat. I'm Guiseppi in-game. I exchanged a few messages with Jersey_Tomato on the KoL forums, she pinged me on the game and invited me over, and now here I am. Uh, let's see, I started playing KoL in 2004, was introduced to the game by my wife. My daughter was just a few months old at the time, and it seemed like the perfect thing to do when I was up feeding her at 2am.

I like to ascend, a lot, as long as it's HC. I do mostly HCNP, but I've done Teet, Booze, Oxy, and Bad Moon, plus the seasonal challenges. I take great pride in never having done a SC or Casual run (the first run doesn't count!). I guess my ultimate goal is to be able to ascend faster than a roomful of monkeys banging away on keyboards. I've really enjoyed chatting with everyone, and I'm just happy to be here.

Schik
Just Plain Old Pie

Postby Schik » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:58 pm

Schik here. I'm today's noob. I'm a software developer by day, and KoL'er by... well, by day as well. And often by night. Been playing for 5 years or so. I'm mostly a softcore guy, but I had about a year of HC runs that ended when the challenge paths came out. I like ascending. I like trying to ascend quickly. I look forward to meeting you guys and continuing to improve.

mojonix
Just Plain Old Pie

Postby mojonix » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:29 pm

Hi, I'm mojonix, recently promoted to Fresh Face.

Erm, lemme see.. I'm 35, a QA Engineer in California's central coast, and am generally well-described as a proto-geek - I like games of all kinds, reading, computers, programming, writing, that sort of thing.

As for in game, I have a strong preference for hardcore but I've recently been chaining 3-day softcore Avatar of Boris runs to build up points for hardcore runs. I've actually found softcore to be a refreshing change of pace from hardcore, but mostly, I'm enjoying the hell out of AoB. Shouting! And Axing! I really hope they do as good a job with the inevitable Avatars of Sneaky Pete and Jarlsberg.

I'm not super-talkative in chat, but I'll try to be more present so folks can get to know me better.

Looking forward to getting to know you all,
-mojo

transplanted_entwife
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby transplanted_entwife » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:46 pm

Welcome, newcomers! =) I'm glad that you're here.

lightwolf
AFH

Postby lightwolf » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:37 am

I am an Lightwolf.

I switch between SC and HC pretty regularly. Like to collect ALL THE THINGS (except familiars. those do not count) and do the occasional stunt (90% familiar BM runs! woo). I also generally talk to myself a lot, usually out loud in public forums or chat; hopefully promoting more people to spade, speed, or get more out of kol. My forum personality fluctuates pretty wildly from over analytical to silly non-sequitor pretty easily. Also apparently I have been playing this game a really really long time.

Lilin
Just Plain Old Pie

Postby Lilin » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:39 pm

Hello everyone! My name is Lilin, and i'm the slightly creepy uncle hiding at the corner of family reunions who turns out to be fairly awesome if you come and say hi.

On a more serious note, I'm 23, living in Orlando, FL. I work as an AV technician in the local area hotels. This means I setup meeting spaces and general sessions, and basically pretend that I on a regular basis care about the fact the client doesn't think the lights are "pink" enough. Outside of work, I live a fairly strange life with my female half who I am engaged in a 24/7 power exchange with, and occasional visits from her other boyfriend (we are also polyamorous). I've learned to not go into more details in a public forum usually, however, you'll see me make allusions to it on a regular enough basis. Feel free to ask any questions you may have, I've been at this several years now, and my slave and I actually produce an informational webshow providing information on the topic. She also plays KOL, under the name llillith. Feel free to say hi to her :)

I have a few pictures here for you. Here is a pair of me, one with my cat deciding to lay on my chest, and one of me in the car in desperate need of a shave. I don't take pictures of myself often, so these will have to do!

EDIT: Apparently it's strange that I don't have goals and aspirations ingame. What, I need goals in my life?!?!?

On a serious note, I consider myself a budding speed runner, and have managed to pull off a few speedy SC boris runs, but no speedy HC ones. Apparently I suck at HC, even though 95% of my runs have been HC runs.

My current goal? Pull off a speedy HC boris run!

Old Photos 185 by Narcolepsy-sensei, on Flickr
Old Photos 266 by Narcolepsy-sensei, on Flickr

lechef
AFH

Postby lechef » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:27 am

Hello, figured I should introduce myself. Same name in game, from Canada (Qc), i've been playing kol for 6 years, stopped a few times here and there but always came back for more.

Over those years i've accumulated a lot of stuff and now I want to improve on something you can't buy, speed ascension and possibly getting some leaderboard runs in at some point in the future. Mainly I ascend HC but I would also like to try a few speed runs in SC so I can try some of the goodies I have in storage :D

I'm usually a lurker, buying/selling, afk often since I try to incorporate kol in my family life. Kids can keep you busy at times :roll:

So there it is, currently done 2 HC Boris 4 day runs and looking to improve on those while banking Boris skills (I think I need to cut down on turns now). As I understand one of the good ways to get feedback is to post some run logs so I'll try to do that on one of my next runs.

Looking forward to improvement and helping out in clanwide activities if needed.

PS. Kudos on the slimetube leaderboard run, I think it's awsome !

AwesomeElmo
Just Plain Old Pie

Postby AwesomeElmo » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:35 am

Hi guys. I found your forum when quamper linked his boris attempt log. :) You can see one of my logs up already. I'm mainly here for the ascension log discussions but who knows in the future I might ask to join the clan. I'm a member of cir senam's guild. I've been playing KoL on and off since about 2004. I've been playing seriously for about 2 years and speed ascending for about a year now, and taking it really seriously only since Boris came out.

My main interest obviously is in speed runs and I'm aiming to be good enough to get into leader boards. My best accomplishment so far is a 3 day, (almost)600 adventure run in SCBoris :D. I hope to start learning two day ascending soon.

Well take care everyone.

Whym
Inscrutable Pi

Postby Whym » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:06 pm

Welcome everyone!

Just a reminder that you should feel free to post logs and questions, both here and in chat. Almost all the AfH/ker's are happy to help out.

(Except for me. I am mean and reclusive. /em goes back into hiding)

onanist
Just Plain Old Pie

Postby onanist » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:41 pm

Hi everyone,

I was whitelisted into the clan after a DitR contest a couple of years ago. I kind of lost interest shortly after, while going through some months of collecting lucre and was inactive for a quite a while.

Most recently I have had some very lazy ascensions, but I've now completed my scope and I'm now 5 lucre away from olfaction, . I accidentally made a couple of bounty-hunting items in modifier maximizer during this process, which slowed my progress by exactly a month.

There has been an awful lot of new content the last couple of years and I'm trying to get up to speed. Anyhow, I just wanted to reintroduce myself and I hope I'll get to meet everyone I haven't already met.

transplanted_entwife
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby transplanted_entwife » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:36 pm

Welcome, new (and returning!) folks!

Trailer Park
Just Plain Old Pie

Postby Trailer Park » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:24 pm

Hello all,

My name is Trevor. I live in Los Angeles and work in reality television. I've recently started playing KoL again after a few year hiatus. I see a lot of people from AFH in /hardcore and so far, everyone has been extremely in acclimating to the post NS11 kingdom I left so long ago. I'm glad to be back - in my absence from KoL I played a number of MMOs out there. The KoL community is hands down the most engaging, fun, and well spoken of them all. Anyway, I just thought I would introduce myself, say something nice, then get to my real mission and pour over logs to figure out where I am wasting so many of my turns.

Also, I don't live in a trailer park. . .yet. I'm really picky when it comes to my dream home.

finalnub
Just Plain Old Pie

Postby finalnub » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:08 am

Hey guys,

Name's Jon and I'm from beautiful Vancouver, Canada soon to be working in Finance. I dabbled with the speedrun scene a few years ago before college took over. Came back a few months agowithsoooooo many changes ala NS13 which made sure my return was going to be eventful and frustrating at the same time :P . Currently I've been grinding HC AoB run and trying to make a dent in the leaderboard, hopefully approach the 700turn barrier soon(wishful thinking maybe :) ) but we'll see.

Looking forward to meeting you guys in chat.

blisterguy
Master of the Coin

Postby blisterguy » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:05 pm

Hi everyone!

You've probably seen me around. I was in Hogs for a while, but in looking for a change of scene, started hanging out in AFHk, and liked it!

I'm 34, and have been living in Sydney, Australia for the last three and a half years, working in Ethics administration at a large University. I grew up in New Zealand. I started playing KoL back in 2004, but really had no idea what I was doing, and drifted away to play WoW with my friends. I came back to KoL after the great "please come back!" email they sent out. I stopped playing WoW the day I left New Zealand. Hopefully I won't fall back down that rabbit hole again.

Outside of KoL, I have a fair amount to do with Magic: The Gathering. I started playing many, many years ago, and represented New Zealand at the World Champs in 2005 and 2006. At that point, I managed to break into the event coverage side of things, and now get flown about the Asia Pacific region three or four times a year to (basically) live blog their Grand Prix events. I'll be in Manila in June, Shanghai in July, Auckland in October, and Taipei in November. If only it paid enough that I didn't need a real job! I still play casually now and again, but my competitive side has been quelled, which is why I try to speed ascend here!

I returned to KoL mid-2010, or thereabouts, and found that a few of the IotM's I had laying around were now Worth Something. It wasn't long before I had managed to catch up on any IotM's I had missed, and set to perming the skills I would need to actually ascend with any regularity. By the time the first challenge path hit, I was still pretty low skilled (around 25, I think?) I'd be hard pressed now to find any more useful skills to SC perm, it's just upgrading them to HC if and when I need them.

I'll be getting married in just under two weeks, to the beautiful woman I moved to Australia to be with. It'll be a second marriage for both of us, so we feel like we know what we're in for, this time.

I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone while I hang out in chat at work! I sneakily have chat open in a separate tab in the corner of the screen, so hopefully nobody here notices. I've gotten away with it for a while now.
;)

Return to “Introductions”