JeffV's DitR 5/1123 HCNP TT (Mongoose) - Comments Welcome

Moderator: Raccoon

JeffV
Pie of the Sky

JeffV's DitR 5/1123 HCNP TT (Mongoose) - Comments Welcome

Post by JeffV » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:13 pm

This thread will contain my entry into the AfHk Diamonds in the Rough V contest. Through interventions by real life and occasional loss of interest, even though my account has been around for about two years I've only ascended a handful of times (and thus qualify for the <10 tier in this particular contest). I am not a multi or anything - what you see is what I've got! (Which will include Sympathy before this run begins.)

This will be a TT run, following up on my leaderboard 14/1744 BM TT run. Nobody was more surprised than I when the extra karma dropped.

Goals for myself at the start of this run:
  1. Single-digit daycount in under 1500 turns. My personal best is 11/1520 (though not in the same run), but those were some time ago and I think I can improve significantly.
  2. Not make the same mistakes I did in the run I just finished. Lots of dumb little crap without which I could've easily dropped a day if not two.
  3. Focus on buff / MP management. I tend to suck at this, so I'm going to be taking a long look at what I have access to, figure appropriate buffs at any given time, and manage my MP to enable them. (Or try to do all that, anyway.)
  4. Not get overwhelmed by all the goodies I have. I've been slowly accumulating Mr. Items and whatnot, but with as little as I've ascended and the breaks I've taken, there are some items I've picked up that I've never even used. As such, there are a few speedy things that I do have access to that I will probably be ignoring until I get a chance to play with them hands-on, probably in aftercore. (For example, though I have a Goth Kid, I have no plans to use it this run.)
  5. To that end, keep familiar use as simple as possible. I've pared down from my full terrarium to the few familiars I will use, and plan to not deviate from that list. (Feedback on that list is of course welcome, and the list itself is below.)
  6. Winning a contest prize would certainly be nice!
  7. Above all, continue to learn and improve, through playing, logging, and feedback.
The aforementioned familiar list - if it ain't on here, I don't plan to use it at all. (Revised based on feedback below.)
The big four - One of these will be up at all times when I don't specifically need something else.
  • Happy Medium - Stats. Booze and initiative are nice as well.
  • Fancypants Scarecrow (Mariachi) - Item.
  • Rogue Program - Spleen, starfish, fingercuffs.
  • Stomping Boots - Spleen, free runaways, random paste effects.
The rest - Brought out for limited engagements for specific needs.
  • Slimeling - Secondary starfish, if what I need is infinite MP right now. Possibly for odd equipment drops? Could use help on that count.
  • Hobo Monkey - Meat.
  • Fancypants Scarecrow (Double-Ice) - Meat. Worth getting that much double-ice?
  • Fancypants Scarecrow (Swashbuckling) - Potato.
  • Artistic Goth Kid - Free fights. (Why not, I'll give it a shot!)
  • He-Boulder - Yellow ray. Occasional red ray.
  • Obtuse Angel - Romantic arrows.
  • Purse Rat - ML.
  • Exotic Parrot - Resist.
Feedback about any or all of this run (or the log itself, why not) is requested and welcomed throughout. If you've slogged through all my ramblings thus far, I would love to hear from you!
Last edited by JeffV on Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:20 am, edited 4 times in total.

Sleeping Beast
Inscrutable Pi

Re: JeffV's DitR <10 Skill HCNP TT - Prepping, comments welc

Post by Sleeping Beast » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:10 am

JeffV wrote:This thread will contain my entry into the AfHk Diamonds in the Rough V contest. Through interventions by real life and occasional loss of interest, even though my account has been around for about two years I've only ascended a handful of times (and thus qualify for the <10 tier in this particular contest). I am not a multi or anything - what you see is what I've got! (Which will include Sympathy before this run begins.)

This will be a TT run, following up on my leaderboard 14/1744 BM TT run. Nobody was more surprised than I when the extra karma dropped.

Goals for myself at the start of this run:
  1. Single-digit daycount in under 1500 turns. My personal best is 11/1520 (though not in the same run), but those were some time ago and I think I can improve significantly.
  2. Not make the same mistakes I did in the run I just finished. Lots of dumb little crap without which I could've easily dropped a day if not two.
  3. Focus on buff / MP management. I tend to suck at this, so I'm going to be taking a long look at what I have access to, figure appropriate buffs at any given time, and manage my MP to enable them. (Or try to do all that, anyway.)
  4. Not get overwhelmed by all the goodies I have. I've been slowly accumulating Mr. Items and whatnot, but with as little as I've ascended and the breaks I've taken, there are some items I've picked up that I've never even used. As such, there are a few speedy things that I do have access to that I will probably be ignoring until I get a chance to play with them hands-on, probably in aftercore. (For example, though I have a Goth Kid, I have no plans to use it this run.)
  5. To that end, keep familiar use as simple as possible. I've pared down from my full terrarium to the few familiars I will use, and plan to not deviate from that list. (Feedback on that list is of course welcome, and the list itself is below.)
  6. Winning a contest prize would certainly be nice!
  7. Above all, continue to learn and improve, through playing, logging, and feedback.
The aforementioned familiar list - if it ain't on here, I don't plan to use it at all.
The big three - One of these will be up at all times when I don't specifically need something else.
  • Fancypants Scarecrow - Item. My plan is to snag mariachi pants on turn 1 and stick with them, unless there's another set of pants I need to consider here. The full wiki list is pretty ridiculous.
  • Stomping Boots - Spleen. Other miscellaneous effects are handy too, but I'm not going to worry much about that unless I have a particular need.
The other seven - Brought out for limited engagements for specific needs.
  • Rogue Program - Starfish, fingercuffs, backup spleen if needed.
  • Slimeling - Secondary starfish, if what I need is infinite MP right now.
  • Hobo Monkey - Meat.
  • Purse Rat - ML.
  • Exotic Parrot - Resist. (Probably won't use this at all, but I like to include it.)
Feedback about any or all of this run (or the log itself, why not) is requested and welcomed throughout. If you've slogged through all my ramblings thus far, I would love to hear from you!
Hi JeffV! Are you in any way related to BinnyV?

I don't know what your play strategy is, but given the lack of permed skills (I find your lack of consumption skills disturbing) I wouldn't outright deny your own IotMs!
The free runaways the boots offer are an incredible help, for example when fighting the gremlins.
The goth kid's free fights burn through delay() like a charm.
Since you can't generate your own turns yet, you might as well deprive the RNG the pleasure of taking them away, at least!

Best of luck!
Why so serious? A smile tastes better! =^..^= d:

Pewt
AFH

Post by Pewt » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:37 am

I'm not a hardcore player so I can't comment on much, but a few things:

-Swasbuckling pants is great on scarecrow if you need a potato (at 20lb, it is a 60lb potato/30lb fairy). Double-Ice or BRICKO pants are pretty good leprechauns for nuns (+ Greatest American Pants in softcore). Those are the only pants that come to mind other than spangle.

-Artistic Goth Kid is a really great familiar, and definitely not something I'd leave off of the list of familiars you plan to use. He works well in zones where you are either just burning delay/an adventure floor (such as the Haunted Pantry) or zones where you are hunting for superlikelies which his fights can't interrupt (such as the Oasis).

-Slimeling is a very good fairy if you're looking for equipment. Not sure if this'll matter since in a high-daycount run you'll have plenty of YRs and faxes, but it's always good to keep in mind.

Draco Cracona
Gatekeeper of Hell

Post by Draco Cracona » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:27 am

JeffV wrote:[/list][/spoiler]The aforementioned familiar list - if it ain't on here, I don't plan to use it at all.
The big three - One of these will be up at all times when I don't specifically need something else.
  • Fancypants Scarecrow - Item. My plan is to snag mariachi pants on turn 1 and stick with them, unless there's another set of pants I need to consider here. The full wiki list is pretty ridiculous.
  • Stomping Boots - Spleen. Other miscellaneous effects are handy too, but I'm not going to worry much about that unless I have a particular need.
The other seven - Brought out for limited engagements for specific needs.
  • Rogue Program - Starfish, fingercuffs, backup spleen if needed.
  • Slimeling - Secondary starfish, if what I need is infinite MP right now.
  • Hobo Monkey - Meat.
  • Purse Rat - ML.
  • Exotic Parrot - Resist. (Probably won't use this at all, but I like to include it.)
You certainly want to use your pantsrack with spangly for items. only other uses in run are the pin-stripe slacks for a sombrero (useful for things like shield generator levelling) and bricko for nuns. The runaways from the boots are great- buff up fam weight and burn them where you'd be getting low stats. Goth kid you should be using, although I can understand that you'd like to get to know where to use him first, it's anywhere where you want delay() burning or a superlikely- for example, until you've had 5 (adv+free fights) in the bedroom, it's awesome as you get scaling monsters when your moxie's buffed up as well as delay() burning. Feel free to ask around in regards to where to use him. RP is a good spleen fam, and you should be going 2/1 Rogue/boots, IMO- the extra MP from the Rogue, if you can do some starfishing, is great. Slimeling... meh. he's good when you need equipment, which is rarely. Spanglerack is usually better. Parrot's useful for DD/guano, which is 0 combats, but still uses.

littlelolligagged
Leader of Heck

Post by littlelolligagged » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:31 am

Yes, switching familiars about really is a good thing. You have them, might as well use them to your advantage. I love my pantsrack, but there are times that he just won't do.

Good luck with your run!

PaladinWhite
Pie of the Sky

Post by PaladinWhite » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:49 pm

I'm entering Diamonds in the Rough V, too. Although you've got more toys to play with, and seem to be generally better at ascending than me, we have some similar goals in mind - I'll be watching your run closely! Good luck! :-D

JeffV
Pie of the Sky

Post by JeffV » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:37 am

Not going to respond directly to everyone, as there's been a lot of duplicate responses (and thanks for that!) but I think I'm getting everyone here...

- No, I'm not related to BinnyV (at least not that I know of).

- I'm aware I'm missing many of the first-tier skills. I'm working my way through all the classes a couple of times to experience it all and perm relevant skills. After this run I plan to go pastamancer and sauceror for food skills and whatever else strikes my fancy.

- I'm getting the message long and strong that I shouldn't be ignoring the Goth Kid. That being the case, where should I plan to use him?

- I wasn't planning on using the slimeling much at all. Scarecrow for items, RP for starfishing at the same time I get GG tokens.

- I'll keep the swashbuckling pants in mind, that could be handy. I don't own GAPs, and even if I did so far I've gone 100% HC, so not particularly relevant. I don't have BRICKOs, and heading for TT I won't have pinstripes either (though I'll keep that one in mind for the future). I do like the thought of double-ice pants for nuns. It would definitely be more efficient than a low-weight hobo monkey, but my question is - is it worth it to get that much double-ice? Assuming I go for the cap first (which I plan on), that's 14 shards, which would be four or five days worth.

I may jump the gash later this evening, but there's a possibility it will wait until Tuesday. I'll also have to do some finagling of clans to be able to hang out in AfHk at all... I'm the leader of an inactive (but well-equipped) clan right now, so I'll have to find someone to take that over for me. (I think my girlfriend has an old account I could borrow for that, though.)

One other question - believe it or not, I've never ascended with the new valhalla other than in bad moon. (Yep, long hiatus was long.) I plan to take the hot dogs due to my lack of food skills, but what to do with the astral equipment? Since I've ascended so little, I believe what I have access to beyond the basic six would be the trousers, pistol, and probably the mask. My first reaction is the mask, or possibly the shorts...

ungawa
AFH

Post by ungawa » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:57 pm

JeffV wrote:- I'm getting the message long and strong that I shouldn't be ignoring the Goth Kid. That being the case, where should I plan to use him?
Let me preface by saying that the Goth Kid "free fight" mechanics are somewhat advanced, but used correctly, each fight can shave a turn off your turncount.

One good place to use the Goth Kid "free fights" is the Desert/Oasis. The adventures that advance the Desert/Oasis are "Superlikely" noncombats. When you adventure there, the game first rolls the dice to see if you get the "Superlikely" adventure, and then if you don't get the "Superlikely", the game will roll to see if you get a free Goth Kid fight.
The result is that a Goth Kid fight will never override the adventure you're looking for in the Desert/Oasis, but if the RNG has already determined you don't get the quest adventure this turn, the Goth Kid gives you a chance to save an adventure and a turn of Ultrahydrated.

Similarly, the Goth Kid can help reduce the number of turns it takes to explore the Hidden City. If you explore a tile that has a Spirit or Altar, you will get the fight or reveal the Altar. However, if the tile isn't quest relevant, a Goth Kid free fight is allowed to trigger, after which the tile is revealed to be just "ruins" without taking an adventure.

Another general strategy is to use the Goth Kid fights to get to encounters that use the "delay()" mechanic. There are several zones where your goal is to find a specific encounter, but the game won't let you get that encounter until you have spent a certain number of adventures in the zone (almost always 5 adventures). For example, the Haunted Library bookshelf noncombats are effected by delay(), which means you will never get one in the first 5 adventures in the zone. If you use your Goth Kid in these zones, his free fights count towards the 5 adventures of delay() without actually taking an adventure, effectively saving you a turn that had no chance to advance your quest progress.
For a list of many zones effected by delay(): http://kol.coldfront.net/thekolwiki/index.php/Delay

Pewt
AFH

Post by Pewt » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:24 pm

JeffV wrote:- I wasn't planning on using the slimeling much at all. Scarecrow for items, RP for starfishing at the same time I get GG tokens.
There are some really crappy gear drop rates (such as the dwarves in Itznotyerzitz Mine) where boosting your items to ridiculous levels still doesn't give you an even somewhat reliable chance to see them drop. In those cases, the chance for slimeling's pickpocket (which is independent of the droprate for the item) can really help.
JeffV wrote:- I'll keep the swashbuckling pants in mind, that could be handy. I don't own GAPs, and even if I did so far I've gone 100% HC, so not particularly relevant. I don't have BRICKOs, and heading for TT I won't have pinstripes either (though I'll keep that one in mind for the future). I do like the thought of double-ice pants for nuns. It would definitely be more efficient than a low-weight hobo monkey, but my question is - is it worth it to get that much double-ice? Assuming I go for the cap first (which I plan on), that's 14 shards, which would be four or five days worth.
I doubt DIce is worth it, but I'll let someone with more experience in hardcore answer this.
JeffV wrote:I may jump the gash later this evening, but there's a possibility it will wait until Tuesday. I'll also have to do some finagling of clans to be able to hang out in AfHk at all... I'm the leader of an inactive (but well-equipped) clan right now, so I'll have to find someone to take that over for me. (I think my girlfriend has an old account I could borrow for that, though.)
You could also create a multi to hold it (which is you probably should do anyways, since bouncing around whitelists is always nice).

Draco Cracona
Gatekeeper of Hell

Post by Draco Cracona » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:41 pm

Good places to use goth kid/Hipster- note that there may be better fams to use:

Knob/pantry
Forest for first 5 (turns+free fights+runaways)
Billiard's room pre-pool cue
Library for first five (turns+free fights+runaways)
Bedroom for first five (turns+free fights+runaways)
Defiled Alcove
eXtreme slope (probably)
Airship (for certain turns; when to use the hipster/GK in here is complex, as it depends on how many immateria you have)
Barrney's (possibly- not sure how this works)
Castle for first five (turns+free fights+runaways) [although you'll ideally have a fairy here anyway]
Oasis/Desert
Hidden city [free fights will still reveal the square, and will only trigger if the square is non-special]
Ballroom [when hunting for b flat]
Palindome
Dungeons of DOOM [when hunting the mimic]
Anywhere else listed as having delay() or superlikelies you need that I can't think of offhand.

Oh, and double-ice britches are never worth it, although the cap is nice.

JeffV
Pie of the Sky

Post by JeffV » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:08 pm

Gash jumped! Turtle tamer, as planned. In Valhalla, I decided to go with astral hotdogs (due to my complete lack of food skills) and the astral shield. I had originally thought to go with the astral mask, but having an awesome shield on turn 1 just overwhelmed that.

This log was created by the Ascension Log Visualizer 3.7.0.
The basic idea and the format of this parser have been borrowed from the AFH MafiaLog Parser by VladimirPootin and QuantumNightmare.

===Day 1===
Telescope shows thin black candle and NG. Can do!
[0] Ascension Start [0,0,0]
+> [0] Got Ur-Donut
o> Ate 1 Ur-Donut (3 adventures gained) [62,60,67]
-> Turn [0] He-Boulder
=> Level 2 (Turn 0)! (8/8/8)
=> Level 3 (Turn 0)! (8/8/8)
[1] photocopied monster [0,0,0]
-> Turn [1] Artistic Goth Kid
First turn - starting this run off with an EPIC fail. Forgot that sleeping mariachis wake up and was unprepared - I have no noodles permed and YR didn't show up first turn. Thus am I beaten up on turn 1, and with my day 1 fax wasted. For future reference, spend a few turns with the Rogue Program up, snag some fingercuffs, THEN fax in the mariachi. For the rest of the day, fairy = slimeling. Blargh.
[2-7] Haunted Pantry [24,7,5]
+> [4] Got razor-sharp can lid
-> Turn [7] Happy Medium
Played around with Goth Kid for the first time ever - makes for faster unlocking, definitely!
[8-16] Spooky Forest [26,17,10]
+> [16] Got mosquito larva
o> Drank 3 pumpkin beer (18 adventures gained) [34,29,39]
[17-21] Sleazy Back Alley [12,6,9]
[22-28] Outskirts of The Knob [16,10,6]
+> [25] Got Knob Goblin firecracker
=> Level 4 (Turn 22)! (13/11/11)
Mosquito, artist item (no bum cheek), guild unlock and finish artist. Should have continued on here for the encryption key, that winds up biting me shortly.
[29-32] Tavern Cellar [9,5,13]
+> [31] Got bottle of gin, bottle of vodka, bottle of whiskey
+> [32] Got ten-leaf clover
[33] Lemon Party [0,0,0]
-> Turn [33] Rogue Program
[34-37] Tavern Cellar [8,3,1]
+> [35] Got Game Grid token, little paper umbrella
+> [36] Got little paper umbrella
+> [37] Got Typical Tavern swill, Typical Tavern swill, Typical Tavern swill
Here's me making my R&RL, after racking my brains and the wiki for five minutes to figure out why it wouldn't let me cast MMM. Been entirely too long since I did this... nice quick faucet, though.
[38-74] Bat Hole Entryway [166,83,70]
+> [38] Got Game Grid token, coconut shell
+> [39] Got Game Grid token
+> [50] Got Pine-Fresh air freshener, bucket of wine, time halo
+> [74] Got empty meat tank, ten-leaf clover, ten-leaf clover, ten-leaf clover
+> [74] Got tires
o> Ate 1 bag of GORF (2 adventures gained) [0,0,0]
o> Ate 1 bag of GORP (4 adventures gained) [27,23,25]
o> Ate 4 bat wing kabob (11 adventures gained) [0,30,0]
o> Used 2 coffee pixie stick (15 adventures gained) [0,0,0]
o> Ate 1 fortune cookie (1 adventures gained) [0,0,0]
o> Ate 1 rat appendix kabob (4 adventures gained) [0,0,9]
-> Turn [39] Obtuse Angel
-> Turn [43] Slimeling
-> Turn [51] Happy Medium
Bounty showed up as bats. Since I am still lucrecore, I went for the bounty here and used up my romantic arrow on speeding that up slightly. Also, air freshener. Filled up (probably too soon - should've held some turns for beans) and started in on spleen.
[75] Guano Junction [0,0,0]
+> [75] Got sonar-in-a-biscuit, sonar-in-a-biscuit
[76] Beanbat Chamber [6,1,4]
+> [76] Got enchanted bean, sonar-in-a-biscuit
-> Turn [76] Artistic Goth Kid
&> 1 / 1 free retreats
[77-78] Outskirts of The Knob [8,4,1]
=> Level 5 (Turn 77)! (20/16/16)
[79] Haunted Pantry [0,0,0]
#> [79] Semirare: The Pilsbury Doughjerk
[80] Outskirts of The Knob [0,0,0]
+> [80] Got Knob Goblin encryption key
[81-83] Muscle Vacation [7,0,0]
Sonars showed up very quickly, at which point I was presented with a problem - I realized that I had only two adventures left until my semirare and four left until the encryption key. One free runaway from the stomping boots helped, but the Goth Kid decided to let me down (not surprising, his chance was down to 10%). Semirare goes to tasty tarts (due to my complete lack of food skill) rather than to KGE as I would have preferred and I pick up the encryption key the very next turn. Poor planning on my part here. Good news - shore counter starts. Bad news - I completely forgot to go a second time today. Something to make sure of tomorrow.
[84-90] Boss Bat's Lair [39,13,16]
+> [87] Got filthy lucre
+> [90] Got Boss Bat bandana, Boss Bat britches, Cobb's Knob lab key
-> Turn [83] Hobo Monkey
-> Turn [87] Happy Medium
-> Turn [89] Slimeling
Boss Bat goes down in short order (with the last arrowed monster showing up for my lucre in mid-chamber).
[91-94] Cobb's Knob Barracks [17,6,4]
+> [91] Got Knob Goblin elite polearm
-> Turn [93] Rogue Program
[95] Mix 1 Typical Tavern swill + 1 coconut shell [0,0,0]
o> Drank 1 CSA scoutmaster's (10 adventures gained) [22,20,21]
o> Drank 2 Sloe Comfortable Zoo (17 adventures gained) [58,0,0]
o> Drank 1 tropical swill (17 adventures gained) [30,3,3]
[96-101] Cobb's Knob Barracks [19,14,10]
+> [96] Got Game Grid token, Knob Goblin elite pants, coconut shell
+> [100] Got Knob Goblin elite helm
-> Turn [97] Slimeling
Barracks for uniform. Tilted from messing up both the mariachi and the semirare, and forgot I could YR here to get it much quicker. On the plus side, managed to make it to Ode here - still had 4 drunk on day 1 un-oded (counting early pumpkin beers), but I'm okay with that.
[102] Cobb's Knob Harem [28,25,25]
-> Turn [102] Happy Medium
[103-110] Haunted Billiards Room [36,19,15]
+> [106] Got pool cue
[111-113] Cobb's Knob Kitchens [0,0,0]
[114] Cook 1 unfrosted Knob cake + 1 Knob frosting [0,0,0]
+> [114] Got Knob cake
[115-116] Throne Room [44,20,11]
+> [116] Got Crown of the Goblin King, ten-leaf clover
Got beaten up on the first try through the King, re-buffed and took another whack.
[117] Lemon Party [0,0,0]
-> Turn [117] Slimeling
[118-143] Fun House [154,56,63]
+> [118] Got box
+> [123] Got disease
+> [125] Got box
+> [127] Got box
+> [132] Got bottle of rum
+> [136] Got box
+> [140] Got bottle of vodka
o> Used 1 oily paste (7 adventures gained) [24,21,22]
}> [122] Disintegrated scary clown
-> Turn [121] He-Boulder
-> Turn [122] Pair of Stomping Boots
-> Turn [130] Happy Medium
-> Turn [143] Rogue Program
=> Level 6 (Turn 139)! (29/21/20)
Decided here to do the Fun House. I'm a fan of the TT LEW, and thinking at this point I'll want to make a bartender (so boxes). Remembered YR at this point so blew up a clown for clownosity, and promptly had Beezlebozo go into hiding for a good long while. I'm never sure whether this zone is worth it or how to do it at all efficiently if it is - it always seems so long and pointless.
[144-149] Dark Neck of the Woods [37,22,13]
+> [145] Got ruby W
+> [149] Got Game Grid token
o> Drank 1 bucket of wine (27 adventures gained) [49,39,50]

Turn rundown finished!
Summary info for the day:
ADVENTURES
----------
Bat Hole Entryway: 37
Fun House: 26
Cobb's Knob Barracks: 10
Outskirts of The Knob: 10
Spooky Forest: 9
Haunted Billiards Room: 8
Tavern Cellar: 8
Boss Bat's Lair: 7
Haunted Pantry: 7
Dark Neck of the Woods: 6
Sleazy Back Alley: 5
Cobb's Knob Kitchens: 3
Muscle Vacation: 3
Lemon Party: 2
Throne Room: 2
Beanbat Chamber: 1
Cobb's Knob Harem: 1
Cook 1 unfrosted Knob cake + 1 Knob frosting: 1
Guano Junction: 1
Mix 1 Typical Tavern swill + 1 coconut shell: 1
photocopied monster: 1

FAMILIARS
----------
Happy Medium : 67 combat turns (56.3%)
Slimeling : 17 combat turns (14.3%)
Rogue Program : 12 combat turns (10.1%)
Pair of Stomping Boots : 8 combat turns (6.7%)
Artistic Goth Kid : 5 combat turns (4.2%)
Hobo Monkey : 4 combat turns (3.4%)
Obtuse Angel : 4 combat turns (3.4%)
He-Boulder : 2 combat turns (1.7%)

EATING AND DRINKING AND USING
----------
Adventures gained eating: 25
Adventures gained drinking: 89
Adventures gained using: 22
Adventures gained rollover: 0

Ate 4 bat wing kabob (11 adventures gained) [0,30,0]
Ate 1 Ur-Donut (3 adventures gained) [62,60,67]
Ate 1 bag of GORF (2 adventures gained) [0,0,0]
Ate 1 bag of GORP (4 adventures gained) [27,23,25]
Ate 1 fortune cookie (1 adventures gained) [0,0,0]
Ate 1 rat appendix kabob (4 adventures gained) [0,0,9]

Drank 3 pumpkin beer (18 adventures gained) [34,29,39]
Drank 2 Sloe Comfortable Zoo (17 adventures gained) [58,0,0]
Drank 1 CSA scoutmaster's (10 adventures gained) [22,20,21]
Drank 1 bucket of wine (27 adventures gained) [49,39,50]
Drank 1 tropical swill (17 adventures gained) [30,3,3]

Used 2 coffee pixie stick (15 adventures gained) [0,0,0]
Used 1 oily paste (7 adventures gained) [24,21,22]
(Anything else that should be included / excluded in that everyday?)

All told, I'm happy with day 1. Definitely some errors - the mariachi, the semirare, eating bad food, forgetting the shore counter. However, I made level 6 on day 1 with room to spare, which means day 2 liver is practically a lock. I feel I did well managing my buffs, casting what I needed when I needed and not overly starfishing or being wasteful. I could have done a bit better with my familiars, but given the fact that I'm currently one down from what I expected with the absence of my Scarecrow, not too bad.

Things for tomorrow -
- Kill a mariachi (for reals this time)
- Get liver
- Finish out the shore
- Continue progressing at such a good clip! I wish I had more specific goals than that, but to be honest I'm not really sure where I'm going to get to. So far so good!
Last edited by JeffV on Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

JeffV
Pie of the Sky

Re: JeffV's DitR <10 Skill HCNP TT-In Progress, comments wel

Post by JeffV » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:06 am

===Day 2===
Adventure count at day start: 72
Current meat: 3032

[150] photocopied monster [22,17,13]
+> [150] Got coconut shell, stick of dynamite
}> [150] Disintegrated sleepy mariachi
Take 2 at the mariachi went much better. I was prepped with the fingercuffs this time but wound up not needing them as the yellow ray showed up first try. Shore #2. At least today is starting much better than yesterday! Now, straight to the Friars - I want me some day 2 liver!
[154-163] Dark Neck of the Woods [88,28,38]
+> [154] Got wussiness potion
+> [155] Got shard of double-ice, shard of double-ice, shard of double-ice
+> [163] Got dodecagram
-> Turn [153] Happy Medium
[164-179] Dark Heart of the Woods [137,58,53]
+> [166] Got little paper umbrella, magical ice cubes
+> [179] Got box of birthday candles
[180-188] Dark Elbow of the Woods [89,36,29]
[189-191] Mysticality Vacation [0,0,0]
+> [191] Got tropical orchid
[192-198] Dark Elbow of the Woods [49,37,39]
+> [198] Got eldritch butterknife
-> Turn [198] Fancypants Scarecrow
Friars complete. This is another zone that always feels like it takes forever with no progress made. That being said, I did forget to pull out the Goth Kid, so that's also my fault. Shore #3. I also finished up my double-ice cap, thus entirely negating my third goal from above. I now have more MP than I will ever need, and by the end of the day today I will have over 600 turns of every buff I can cast.
[199] Pandamonium Slums [5,6,3]
[200-215] Belilafs Comedy Club [185,80,81]
+> [200] Got hilarious comedy prop
+> [201] Got Victor, the Insult Comic Hellhound Puppet
+> [202] Got Azazel's lollipop, observational glasses
+> [206] Got imp air
+> [207] Got imp air
+> [211] Got imp air
+> [214] Got imp air
+> [215] Got imp air
[216-229] Hey Deze Arena [80,33,31]
+> [216] Got bus pass
+> [220] Got bus pass
+> [227] Got bus pass
+> [228] Got bus pass
+> [229] Got Azazel's tutu, Azazel's unicorn, bus pass, steel margarita
o> Ate 3 tasty tart (18 adventures gained) [17,17,16]
=> Level 7 (Turn 224)! (40/28/28)
[230-232] Moxie Vacation [0,0,0]
+> [232] Got barbed-wire fence
[233-235] Muscle Vacation [22,0,0]
A misclick puts me in the Slums for a turn - whoops! First time I've ever had the three unique comedic monsters show up on the first three turns. I wasn't expecting Carbuncle Top on turn 1 here so I almost got beaten up, but I managed to pull it out with single-digit HP remaining. (I was under the mistaken impression that these were delay()ed somehow... yay for learning?) No problem on the other two, and then another 13 turns backfarming for imp airs. Similar experience backstage - I hit all six NCs well before I had enough bus passes. This is where I start feeling the pain of not having my Scarecrow available yesterday - I have to think that the extra XP would've shaved a few turns here. That said, I still easily got my day 2 liver, which I'm very happy with. Ate up yesterday's semirare, tracked down my semi-rare, and finished unlocking the Island. Today's bounty is frat orcs - let's do this!
-> Turn [235] Rogue Program
[236-261] Frat House [210,115,84]
+> [239] Got Game Grid token
+> [241] Got Game Grid token
+> [243] Got Game Grid token
+> [249] Got bottle of vodka
+> [250] Got bottle of vodka
+> [259] Got bottle of gin
o> Drank 1 CSA cheerfulness ration (5 adventures gained) [48,44,46]
o> Drank 1 CSA scoutmaster's (12 adventures gained) [33,27,25]
o> Drank 1 Fuzzy Tentacle (8 adventures gained) [0,25,0]
o> Drank 1 Sloe Comfortable Zoo (8 adventures gained) [32,0,0]
o> Used 3 coffee pixie stick (20 adventures gained) [0,0,0]
-> Turn [243] Happy Medium
[262] Outskirts of The Knob [0,0,0]
#> [262] Semirare: Lunchboxing
[263-271] Frat House [81,33,44]
+> [267] Got bottle of gin
+> [269] Got bottle of gin
+> [271] Got bottle of vodka, filthy lucre
o> Ate 2 Knob pasty (11 adventures gained) [11,11,12]
o> Ate 1 pumpkin pie (15 adventures gained) [25,27,30]
Lucrecore continues without issue. I'm really hoping for an accessible bounty tomorrow that I can maybe do without spending so many turns on it, but I'm not holding my breath. (I'm also very much looking forward to being all done lucreing - less than 15 to olfaction, then onto the Hound...) Lunchbox semirare here - still hard up for good eats, and got lucky with two pasties.

Through this I paused and did some consumption planning. By this point I had stopped getting orange Medium drinks and was exclusively getting red ones. I wanted to make sure to hit 8 today in enough time to start using some of those, and also wanted to try for one more level before I started thinking about eating a hot dog. Thus, rather than completely fill myself up on anything early (as I did yesterday), I went to about half on booze, filled my spleen, and ate some epic food, which gave me plenty of time to get to 8 with some liver and stomach capacity remaining. For the rest of the run, I plan to put all of my pumpkins toward pies - the only other thing I would consider in this run would be pumpkin juice, and I don't think the effect is worth the loss in turngen.
-> Turn [271] Fancypants Scarecrow
[272-284] Defiled Nook [121,59,49]
+> [272] Got loose teeth, loose teeth, skeleton bone
+> [273] Got skeleton bone
+> [274] Got skeleton bone, smart skull
+> [275] Got evil eye, loose teeth
+> [276] Got skeleton bone, smart skull
+> [277] Got skeleton bone, smart skull
+> [278] Got evil eye, loose teeth, skeleton bone
+> [279] Got loose teeth
+> [280] Got loose teeth, skeleton bone
+> [281] Got evil eye, loose teeth, loose teeth, skeleton bone
+> [282] Got evil eye, smart skull
+> [283] Got loose teeth
+> [284] Got skeleton bone, smart skull, ultrafondue
o> Ate 1 ultrafondue (14 adventures gained) [21,17,16]
-> Turn [284] Happy Medium
[285-297] Defiled Cranny [170,91,69]
[298-308] Defiled Alcove [229,55,53]
+> [307] Got loose teeth
[309-323] Defiled Niche [209,81,75]
o> Drank 1 CSA cheerfulness ration (5 adventures gained) [48,41,46]
o> Drank 1 Flaming Sazerorc (11 adventures gained) [41,0,0]
o> Drank 1 Shot of the Living Dead (10 adventures gained) [37,0,0]
o> Ate 1 astral hot dog (17 adventures gained) [149,150,134]
o> Drank 1 thermos full of Knob coffee (6 adventures gained) [5,5,6]
=> Level 8 (Turn 319)! (53/37/36)
[324] Defiled Nook [25,14,23]
+> [324] Got skeleton bone, skeleton bone
[325] Defiled Niche [33,15,14]
[326] Defiled Cranny [31,19,13]
[327] Defiled Alcove [32,16,14]
[328] Haert of the Cyrpt [59,39,27]
+> [328] Got chest of the Bonerdagon, skull of the Bonerdagon, vertebra of the Bonerdagon
Bulldozed straight through the Cyrpt. Happy with the results overall. I'm still feeling the missing weight from the Scarecrow in the Nook. I got to 10% NC (swimming pool and deodorant) and 25ML (MCD and ultrafondue) in the Cranny, so that went pretty quickly. I neglected to pull out the Goth Kid for the second time today, I'm guessing he's helpful in the Alcove.

I did have a bit of a brain fart when it came to the Niche. Without Olfaction there's nothing I can do to boost the dirty old lihc directly, but the thought briefly flickered through my mind that I still had one Clip Art summon left and could use a crystal skull to come at it from the other direction. That thought apparently passed through my head unheeded, as I continued on and did it the hard way. (Thus leaving me with an unused summon at end of day, which I used to get another bucket of wine to get ahead on nightcaps.)
-> Turn [328] He-Boulder
[329] Hippy Camp [9,2,3]
+> [329] Got filthy corduroys, filthy knitted dread sack
}> [329] Disintegrated crusty hippy
YR counter had run out by this point, and I wanted to make sure that my newfound Island access came with the hippy store. I'm good with both of my YRs on day 2 being MUCH more relevant than my YR on day 1.
[330-336] Daily Dungeon [8,3,4]
+> [336] Got ten-leaf clover, ten-leaf clover, ten-leaf clover
-> Turn [330] Pair of Stomping Boots
-> Turn [336] Slimeling
A familiar goof here - I'm still not sure exactly why I pulled the boots out in the DD. I remember wanting to bank one more spleen item for the day, but the DD isn't really the place to make that happen. Ah well... no real harm done, I suppose. Up with the slimeling for the equipment drops from the mine...
[337-347] Itznotyerzitz Mine [85,33,36]
+> [337] Got miner's helmet
+> [341] Got miner's pants
+> [347] Got 7-Foot Dwarven mattock
My continued bad luck over multiple ascensions continues when it comes to picking outfit pieces from choice adventures. Chose the miner's helmet on turn 1 here. The slimeling promptly disgorged a second one on turn 2. Goodie. The pants dropped normally off of a combat, and then I just had to wait another six turns for another noncombat. I'm thinking it might have been worth to put this off until tomorrow and spend a YR on the semirare, but what's done is done.
[348-366] Itznotyerzitz Mine (in Disguise) [0,0,0]
-> Turn [366] Fancypants Scarecrow
Ugh. Just ugh. If there's a pattern to this area, I don't get it. The ore I needed was the third one I found, at the opposite corner of the map from where I had to start mining. Beaten up twice. If anyone has any tips for making this easier (other than perming Unaccompanied Miner), I'm all ears.
[367-372] Goatlet [79,35,37]
+> [369] Got glass of goat's milk, goat cheese
+> [370] Got bottle of whiskey
+> [371] Got goat cheese
+> [372] Got goat cheese
[373-382] eXtreme Slope [111,56,58]
o> Drank 1 bucket of wine (29 adventures gained) [53,13,46]
-> Turn [380] Artistic Goth Kid

Turn rundown finished!
Quick Goatlet, followed by a reasonably quick cold outfit. Finally remembered to swap in the Goth Kid for the last few turns of the day to start plugging through the superlikelies on the Slope. Bucket of wine tops off a pretty good day!
FAMILIARS
----------
Happy Medium : 170 combat turns (58.0%)
Fancypants Scarecrow : 51 combat turns (17.4%)
Slimeling : 26 combat turns (8.9%)
Rogue Program : 18 combat turns (6.1%)
Pair of Stomping Boots : 9 combat turns (3.1%)
Artistic Goth Kid : 6 combat turns (2.0%)
He-Boulder : 5 combat turns (1.7%)
Hobo Monkey : 4 combat turns (1.4%)
Obtuse Angel : 4 combat turns (1.4%)
So far this ascension has been very linear - straight through the given quests, with very little work toward non-council things or future quests. I'm pretty okay with this, but commentary as to ordering is appreciated. Looking toward the next few days, a list of things I can work on in "downtime" -
Unlock the rest of the Manor (and set the ballroom song)
Unlock the hidden temple
Start on the pirates
Farm pixels (by faxing and copying, mostly, but also remember blue shells)
Open up the Dungeons of Doom, get a zap wand
Goals for tomorrow:
- Level 10.
- Quests up through 9 completed.
- Get a lucre.
- Make a dent in my "downtime" list - whatever makes sense to do at the time.

JeffV
Pie of the Sky

Post by JeffV » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:22 am

===Day 3===
Adventure count at day start: 75
Current meat: 5414

[383-392] Greater-Than Sign [102,38,41]
+> [386] Got plus sign
o> Used 1 chest of the Bonerdagon [165,150,150]
[393] Post-Cyrpt Cemetary [0,0,0]
+> [393] Got box of Familiar Jacks
-> Turn [393] Obtuse Angel
[394] Greater-Than Sign [7,2,2]
[395-400] Daily Dungeon [7,4,4]
+> [400] Got Boris's key, Sneaky Pete's key
[401-413] Dungeons of Doom [173,55,69]
+> [402] Got coconut shell, little paper umbrella, little paper umbrella, magical ice cubes
+> [402] Got magical ice cubes
-> Turn [405] Happy Medium
-> Turn [412] Artistic Goth Kid
Today's bounty was the Dungeons of Doom. Only six monsters this time - that's arrowable! I decided to grab a quake for my angel, in order to make this bounty that much quicker (and enable me to complete LFM with two faxes and an arrow). Quick unlock and burned off teleportitis in the DD for my second key. 13 more turns in the dungeons gets me an ample supply of bang potions, and three kobolds. No zap wand yet, though. I decided to move on and come back later for the wand if I had time.
[414-422] eXtreme Slope [106,49,46]
[423-434] Haunted Library [112,63,53]
-> Turn [426] Fancypants Scarecrow
[435-446] Haunted Bedroom [9,4,69]
+> [441] Got Lord Spookyraven's spectacles
-> Turn [437] Pair of Stomping Boots
-> Turn [446] Happy Medium
&> 1 / 1 free retreats
[447-449] Haunted Ballroom [0,0,0]
[450] Haunted Pantry [0,0,0]
#> [450] Semirare: The Pilsbury Doughjerk
o> Ate 1 pumpkin pie (18 adventures gained) [26,21,19]
o> Ate 3 tasty tart (17 adventures gained) [19,17,17]
[451-459] Haunted Ballroom [16,4,4]
+> [458] Got filthy lucre
The next task was getting the trapz0r's quest as done as I can. Groar was still a bit out of my league at this point, so I put that on hold until the CSA Bravery Badge drops later today. After that - ballroom song. Hear that, RNG? I'd like to set the ballroom song please. Please? Pretty please? Forever and a day later, that's done. I know it's always worth it to do, but there are times when I wonder...
[460] photocopied monster [24,2,6]
#> [460] Semirare: Bad ASCII Art
+> [460] Got 30669 scroll, 33398 scroll, 334 scroll, 334 scroll
I should've put in more of an effort to actually make this my semirare and free up the fax. In hindsight, reordering the day might have gotten me there - had I done the pirates first and left the DoD for later, I think the stat gains from the Barrr would have gotten to level 9. Oh well - not too big of a deal, and I can certainly use the food...
[461-468] Pirate Cove [40,21,18]
+> [461] Got swashbuckling pants
+> [463] Got eyepatch
+> [468] Got stuffed shoulder parrot
-> Turn [461] Fancypants Scarecrow
-> Turn [468] Happy Medium
[469] Barrrney's Barrr [0,0,0]
-> Turn [469] Hobo Monkey
[470] Cap'm Caronch's Map [14,11,5]
[472] The Infiltrationist [0,0,0]
-> Turn [471] Happy Medium
[474-490] Barrrney's Barrr [535,409,426]
o> Drank 1 Oh, the Humanitini (11 adventures gained) [19,16,17]
o> Drank 1 Shot of the Living Dead (11 adventures gained) [40,0,0]
o> Drank 3 Sizzling Sinner (31 adventures gained) [115,0,0]
=> Level 9 (Turn 474)! (68/48/47)
I slightly punted the Barrr by forgetting to drink before I went in, and as a result picked up some drinks once rather than stats, but corrected that before it happened a second time. I picked up my usual six insults before beer pong showed up, and then had to play SEVEN times to win. I guess I'm making up for my last run where I decided to give a shot on five insults and won on the first try. Touche, RNG.
[491-518] Orc Chasm [366,157,188]
+> [491] Got 334 scroll
+> [494] Got 334 scroll
+> [497] Got 334 scroll
+> [504] Got 334 scroll
+> [505] Got 334 scroll
+> [506] Got 64735 scroll
+> [509] Got 33398 scroll
+> [511] Got lowercase N
+> [512] Got 334 scroll
+> [515] Got 30669 scroll
+> [518] Got lowercase N
-> Turn [496] Fancypants Scarecrow
The little mistakes kept piling on today - here I forgot to use my Scarecrow until five turns in, one of which was a pr0n. I know I need an NG for the tower, so that hurt. 12 turns past quest completion for the second N without a stat script to show for it.
[519-530] F'c'le [235,102,119]
+> [520] Got ball polish
+> [521] Got mizzenmast mop
+> [529] Got rigging shampoo
-> Turn [530] Rogue Program
[531-532] Dungeons of Doom [13,10,11]
+> [532] Got dead mimic, ultrafondue
o> Ate 1 ultrafondue (14 adventures gained) [17,20,19]
The RNG begins to take pity on me. The rigging shampoo took three tries to drop, but all things considered this went much better than it has in the past. And just two more turns for the zap wand? Yes, please! At this point, all I had left to do for council quests was kill Groar, and my "downtime" list from yesterday is shrinking much more rapidly than I expected. Time to crank up the ML and crank down the combats and get the temple unlocked.
[533-543] Spooky Forest [31,21,13]
+> [537] Got Spooky Temple map
+> [538] Got Spooky-Gro fertilizer
+> [542] Got Game Grid token
+> [543] Got crystal skull, spooky sapling
o> Used 2 coffee pixie stick (15 adventures gained) [0,0,0]
-> Turn [542] Pair of Stomping Boots
-> Turn [543] Fancypants Scarecrow
[544-564] 8-Bit Realm [144,76,61]
+> [564] Got ten-leaf clover, ten-leaf clover
-> Turn [563] Pair of Stomping Boots
Temple unlocked quickly, leaving me with almost 20 turns of Fondid remaining. There's no way I could handle that in any on-level zone, so the time had come to pixelfarm. A crystal skull banished Bullet Bill, and with the help of two blue shells I had my 30 pixels in just two turns more than my remaining Fondid. Not what I had planned to do (I was going to fax and arrow a ghost or two), but it worked.

I had now come to the part of level 9 where I'm pretty much completely out of stuff to do. Time to powerlevel! I could spend the time in the Bathroom, setting up the GMoB for flyering. I could work on unlocking the Gallery. Well...
[565-568] Haunted Library [20,15,3]
+> [566] Got inkwell
o> Used 1 oily paste (9 adventures gained) [21,19,18]
-> Turn [566] Happy Medium
-> Turn [568] Artistic Goth Kid
[569-577] Haunted Conservatory [55,21,21]
-> Turn [577] Happy Medium
[578-583] Haunted Bathroom [70,38,21]
o> Drank 1 CSA cheerfulness ration (5 adventures gained) [49,45,48]
o> Drank 1 Oh, the Humanitini (10 adventures gained) [21,18,17]
o> Drank 1 Plague of Locusts (10 adventures gained) [0,0,38]
o> Drank 1 Slimebite (11 adventures gained) [0,0,36]
[584-587] Mist-Shrouded Peak [101,43,44]
[588-608] Haunted Bathroom [816,108,115]
+> [588] Got fancy bath salts
+> [608] Got ten-leaf clover
[609] Haunted Gallery [208,0,0]
o> Drank 1 Shot of the Living Dead (10 adventures gained) [40,0,0]
o> Ate 1 astral hot dog (19 adventures gained) [211,172,176]
o> Ate 1 bag of QWOP (5 adventures gained) [0,0,0]
o> Drank 1 bucket of wine (27 adventures gained) [29,36,39]
=> Level 10 (Turn 609)! (87/60/60)
How about all of the above. My first reaction was to unlock the correct area and head for the Gallery. (Stupid Conservatory.) Once that was done, I looked at my clovers on hand and realized that I didn't actually have enough to clover my way to 10, and decided that if I was going to be spending turns somewhere for leveling I would rather spend them somewhere that will advance me later on. Thus, Bathroom (with a brief interlude to bump off Groar). Getting the GMoB set up took me within one clover of level 10, so one Gallery turn and the bean is planted. My goals for the day completed (and me being very tired), I finished eating and drinking and banked 73 turns for tomorrow.

Since I know this will come up - Yes, I still like to do the GMoB for flyering. Part of that comes in not really knowing what else to flyer, but mostly it's an issue of survivability. Without Noodles, the big hits from all the monsters tend to make me dead real fast. Once I get Noodles permed (which is on my shortlist, probably right after the rest of the consumption skills) I'll be open to flyering other things. I'm also aware that it's possible I'm spending more turns doing this than I will save in the war, but what's done is done here. Feedback / advice welcome on any of this.
FAMILIARS
----------
Happy Medium : 231 combat turns (50.8%) (14 pounds)
Fancypants Scarecrow : 113 combat turns (24.8%) (11 pounds)
Slimeling : 26 combat turns (5.7%) (5 pounds)
Rogue Program : 26 combat turns (5.7%) (5 pounds)
Artistic Goth Kid : 25 combat turns (5.5%) (5 pounds)
Pair of Stomping Boots : 12 combat turns (2.6%) (3 pounds)
Obtuse Angel : 12 combat turns (2.6%) (3 pounds)
He-Boulder : 5 combat turns (1.1%) (2 pounds)
Hobo Monkey : 5 combat turns (1.1%) (2 pounds)
Overall for the day - very happy. I had some bouts of anger toward the RNG, but since today's the first time in three days I've found myself thinking that, I can't really complain. When I wrote up the "downtime" list yesterday I never really thought I would be able to get that list 100% completed today. That said, the day was not without errors. A few instances of familiar ADD, and failing to anticipate my semirare, mainly. I also have yet to make a meat maid (which I realized after my nightcap, of course), and I didn't YR anything today (though I'm not really sure what I should've hit...)

Goals for tomorrow:
- Get a lucre
- ???
- Profit! (But seriously, not really sure how far to expect to get. I plan to push through as much of the stalk as I can, and hopefully make a start on the MacGuffin.)
- Make a meat maid!
- Plan out my semirares better - I should have two coming tomorrow, one is coming up very soon. I'm hoping I can get to the castle in time and make that an inhaler, but I don't know if I've got enough time.
Last edited by JeffV on Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Draco Cracona
Gatekeeper of Hell

Post by Draco Cracona » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:36 am

~10 turns for farming the KGE manually? Sounds about right- were you using -combat for the NC that gives a piece of the outfit?

Fun house... I'd say not worth it after you've got your boxen. It's an okay source for booze, but you should be able to manage without a LEW, and it does take a certain number of turns (~10?) before he'll show up, I believe. Also, if you have all the turns of buffs you'll ever need by early D2, you're probably not getting a lot of use from your TT LEW!

Friars ALWAYS takes forever. I find that it takes 30-40ish adventures even while piling on all the -combat I can. Goth kid doesn't really help here- you're looking for noncombats, not superlikelies. The only benefit is that the Goth Kid fights will count towards the 15 turn cap in each subzone (which I always seem to hit at least one of).

No Delay() or anything on the three named in the laugh floor- they're encounters (probably superlikely) that happen with a chance related to your +combat. Goth Kid may help here, depending on if they're superlikely or not, but you'll want the hound here when you can get it and need +items anyway, so probably best to just use the fairy anyway.

When are you looking to set the ballroom song to noncombats (is that mid-D3?)? Probably tricky on such a low-skill run, though....

Goth Kid does help in the alcove, yes.

The mine sucks. I'd be tempted to YR the SR, as you won't be able to get to +233.3% items needed to force drops from him.

As for mining, you can burn three clovers instead of getting the outfit and doing mining. Other than that, http://ectabo.com/kol/mining/ is very, very handy.

Cove is one of the few places where you want a slimeling instead of a spanglerack.

Where did you use your crystal skull on D3 (pixels?)? It may be worth faxing and arrowing a ghost or two to skip the 8-bit.

Is the bathroom time to get some salts for the tower? It looks live you've got the gallery open for better muscle levelling by this point, so taking a guess here.

JeffV
Pie of the Sky

Post by JeffV » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:21 pm

Day 3 is now commented!
Draco Cracona wrote:~10 turns for farming the KGE manually? Sounds about right- were you using -combat for the NC that gives a piece of the outfit?
I don't think so, no. At that point the only thing I could have done would be to use the swimming pool, and I'm pretty sure I didn't do that. Good to remember for next time, though.
Draco Cracona wrote:When are you looking to set the ballroom song to noncombats (is that mid-D3?)? Probably tricky on such a low-skill run, though....
Yep, that was done mid-D3. It was pretty much a pain in the ass, and involved running away from most of the ballroom monsters, unfortunately, but I did it.
Draco Cracona wrote:The mine sucks. I'd be tempted to YR the SR, as you won't be able to get to +233.3% items needed to force drops from him.
Yeah, I realized after the fact that I probably should've held off until the next day and done exactly that on D3.
Draco Cracona wrote:As for mining, you can burn three clovers instead of getting the outfit and doing mining. Other than that, http://ectabo.com/kol/mining/ is very, very handy.
I'm still getting used to using clovers - I'm too used to BM where that's never an option. I guess that would've saved me 30 turns here, eh? Seems fair... Thanks for that site, too!
Draco Cracona wrote:Where did you use your crystal skull on D3 (pixels?)? It may be worth faxing and arrowing a ghost or two to skip the 8-bit.
Yes, I banished Bullet Bill. My plan was to do exactly as you say, but to take some of the sting out of going back to the forest for the hidden temple I ate an ultrafondue, and there wasn't a whole lot I could do with the turns that I had left over after that opened. Pixels made sense at the time.
Draco Cracona wrote:Is the bathroom time to get some salts for the tower? It looks live you've got the gallery open for better muscle levelling by this point, so taking a guess here.
No, I was setting up the GMoB. Salts was a nice side effect, though. I explain more about that particular sub-optimal mess in my notes on the log proper.

Draco Cracona
Gatekeeper of Hell

Post by Draco Cracona » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:55 pm

JeffV wrote:
Today's bounty was the Dungeons of Doom. Only six monsters this time - that's arrowable! I decided to grab a quake for my angel, in order to make this bounty that much quicker (and enable me to complete LFM with two faxes and an arrow). Quick unlock and burned off teleportitis in the DD for my second key. 13 more turns in the dungeons gets me an ample supply of bang potions, and three kobolds. No zap wand yet, though. I decided to move on and come back later for the wand if I had time.
Quake is a good use of a tome summon- even more so if you're lucrecoreing still.
I slightly punted the Barrr by forgetting to drink before I went in, and as a result picked up some drinks once rather than stats, but corrected that before it happened a second time. I picked up my usual six insults before beer pong showed up, and then had to play SEVEN times to win. I guess I'm making up for my last run where I decided to give a shot on five insults and won on the first try. Touche, RNG.
Urgh, that RNG sucks :(
The little mistakes kept piling on today - here I forgot to use my Scarecrow until five turns in, one of which was a pr0n. I know I need an NG for the tower, so that hurt. 12 turns past quest completion for the second N without a stat script to show for it.
Again: Owch. How much +items are you running? Pr0n is +233.3% items to cap it.
The RNG begins to take pity on me. The rigging shampoo took three tries to drop, but all things considered this went much better than it has in the past. And just two more turns for the zap wand? Yes, please! At this point, all I had left to do for council quests was kill Groar, and my "downtime" list from yesterday is shrinking much more rapidly than I expected. Time to crank up the ML and crank down the combats and get the temple unlocked.
More drops that cap at the magical +233% are the f'c'le drops. If you can get your pantsrack high enough to cap them, you'll save yourself a world of problems- 12lb base weight when you've got all the +item perms, so probably a chunk more for you to cap them. Temple unlock is a right pain as well at times!
Temple unlocked quickly, leaving me with almost 20 turns of Fondid remaining. There's no way I could handle that in any on-level zone, so the time had come to pixelfarm. A crystal skull banished Bullet Bill, and with the help of two blue shells I had my 30 pixels in just two turns more than my remaining Fondid. Not what I had planned to do (I was going to fax and arrow a ghost or two), but it worked.

I had now come to the part of level 9 where I'm pretty much completely out of stuff to do. Time to powerlevel! I could spend the time in the Bathroom, setting up the GMoB for flyering. I could work on unlocking the Gallery. Well...
I'm against flyering the GMoB, in general. I can see why you would at low-skill, though, as without noodles the flyering would be a big resource drain on healing.
How about all of the above. My first reaction was to unlock the correct area and head for the Gallery. (Stupid Conservatory.) Once that was done, I looked at my clovers on hand and realized that I didn't actually have enough to clover my way to 10, and decided that if I was going to be spending turns somewhere for leveling I would rather spend them somewhere that will advance me later on. Thus, Bathroom (with a brief interlude to bump off Groar). Getting the GMoB set up took me within one clover of level 10, so one Gallery turn and the bean is planted. My goals for the day completed (and me being very tired), I finished eating and drinking and banked 73 turns for tomorrow.

Since I know this will come up - Yes, I still like to do the GMoB for flyering. Part of that comes in not really knowing what else to flyer, but mostly it's an issue of survivability. Without Noodles, the big hits from all the monsters tend to make me dead real fast. Once I get Noodles permed (which is on my shortlist, probably right after the rest of the consumption skills) I'll be open to flyering other things. I'm also aware that it's possible I'm spending more turns doing this than I will save in the war, but what's done is done here. Feedback / advice welcome on any of this.
Without noodles, you will have issues flyering. Bathroom isn't too bad for stats, so you're probably fine here. When you have noodles, you'll be better off flyering the HitS, Upper chamber, Ed, gremlins and filthworms, though.

Overall for the day - very happy. I had some bouts of anger toward the RNG, but since today's the first time in three days I've found myself thinking that, I can't really complain. When I wrote up the "downtime" list yesterday I never really thought I would be able to get that list 100% completed today. That said, the day was not without errors. A few instances of familiar ADD, and failing to anticipate my semirare, mainly. I also have yet to make a meat maid (which I realized after my nightcap, of course), and I didn't YR anything today (though I'm not really sure what I should've hit...)

Goals for tomorrow:
- Get a lucre
- ???
- Profit! (But seriously, not really sure how far to expect to get. I plan to push through as much of the stalk as I can, and hopefully make a start on the MacGuffin.)
- Make a meat maid!
- Plan out my semirares better - I should have two coming tomorrow, one is coming up very soon. I'm hoping I can get to the castle in time and make that an inhaler, but I don't know if I've got enough time.
If you're not capping the n drop, then you could have dropped a spare YR on that. Other than that... not too many options? Don't forget to grab a hidden temple SR somewhere in there- I'd be tempted to get that as your next SR, with inhaler after that.

Effovex
Recruiter of AFH/k

Post by Effovex » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:24 pm

Pewt wrote:
JeffV wrote:In those cases, the chance for slimeling's pickpocket (which is independent of the droprate for the item) can really help.
The droprate of the item IS relevant (as it is for pickpocket). It basically gives you a second die roll for getting the item, with a slight difference that only the slimeling's bonuses count for the second roll.

So if a mining outfit piece has a 10% chance of dropping, and you have +100% item drop, 50% of which comes from your slimeling, you will get one roll at 20%, and if that fails, a second roll from the slimeling at 15%.

Pewt
AFH

Post by Pewt » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:31 pm

Effovex wrote:
Pewt wrote:
JeffV wrote:In those cases, the chance for slimeling's pickpocket (which is independent of the droprate for the item) can really help.
The droprate of the item IS relevant (as it is for pickpocket). It basically gives you a second die roll for getting the item, with a slight difference that only the slimeling's bonuses count for the second roll.

So if a mining outfit piece has a 10% chance of dropping, and you have +100% item drop, 50% of which comes from your slimeling, you will get one roll at 20%, and if that fails, a second roll from the slimeling at 15%.
Oh, whoops, not sure why I thought it was completely independent. Still better than other fairies though.

JeffV
Pie of the Sky

Post by JeffV » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:03 pm

Draco Cracona wrote:How much +items are you running?
Nowhere close to 233%, that's for sure. I'm hovering in the +100% range when I'm not using limited buffs (pool table, hatter, and the like). I've currently got the Spanglecrow at 16 pounds (11 plus sympathy), so a 32-pound fairy (which the formula on the wiki puts at about 71%), plus 20% from Nimble Fingers, and whatever random gear I've picked up (observational glasses and whatnot).
Draco Cracona wrote:Without noodles, you will have issues flyering. Bathroom isn't too bad for stats, so you're probably fine here. When you have noodles, you'll be better off flyering the HitS, Upper chamber, Ed, gremlins and filthworms, though.
Yep. The plan is to go pastamancer for a couple of ascensions after this (probably my typical pattern so far of Bad Moon to get a feel for the class in a vacuum, followed by HCNP) and pick up Pastamastery and Noodles, at which point I can leave the GMoB stuck in his mirror. Thanks for the tips on flyering locations - I'll hang onto that for future reference.
Draco Cracona wrote:Don't forget to grab a hidden temple SR somewhere in there- I'd be tempted to get that as your next SR, with inhaler after that.
Hehe, I had actually planned for those two SRs today before I read this. :) I was thinking to try for the inhaler first so I could get back for a second one, but I don't think that's going to be an option as I believe the counter is too short to get through the ship.

Turns will be played later this evening, I'm hoping to be able to get a commented log up yet tonight. Thanks for the feedback so far!

Jersey_Tomato
Recruiter of AFH/k

Post by Jersey_Tomato » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:29 pm

irst of all, I hear you loud and clear on feeling a bit overwhelmed by choices. I have been playing steadily for the last 2 years and have 140+ ascensions, and there are still items in the "things I will be ignoring" pile. I still don't know how to use the happy medium. I haven't done a run in which I could have used her since she was introduced, but still.

Decided here to do the Fun House. I'm a fan of the TT LEW, and thinking at this point I'll want to make a bartender (so boxes). Remembered YR at this point so blew up a clown for clownosity, and promptly had Beezlebozo go into hiding for a good long while. I'm never sure whether this zone is worth it or how to do it at all efficiently if it is - it always seems so long and pointless.
You can do some turns in the fun house without going all the way to beelzebobo as Draco said. Which clown did you ray? The shaky gives you clownosity AND 6 bottles of booze. He's the clear winner for that. Here's something from my forthcoming guide about the fun house. I didn't say directly that you didn't have to go all the way to Beelzebobo, so I'll be adding that in.
The "Fun" House is actually a really great area, but only up to a point. It should be cut out when you want to increase your speed, but I'd caution you not to cut it out too early. Fun House drops can really ease your early run. There aren't very many viable places to get booze early, but the shaky clown is a great source. The various equipment drops are very nice when you don't have anything better to fill those slots and the +MP accessory can help you reach max MP goals for early Ode casts and the like.

So far this ascension has been very linear - straight through the given quests, with very little work toward non-council things or future quests. I'm pretty okay with this, but commentary as to ordering is appreciated. Looking toward the next few days, a list of things I can work on in "downtime" -

This is a fine way to approach things for now. I'd generally suggest trying to do things where level-appropriate where possible. Like doing the outskirts when you're at very early levels rather than waiting to do it at level 5.

My feedback on your setting up the GMoB is that your decision is based on a valid and accurate assessment of the situation. The problem is only when people insist on setting up the GMoB instead of flyering because they refuse to accept that it really does run up a turncount or that they significantly overestimate the difficulty of flyering. You seem to know what the score is and you'll switch as soon as you feel that it's feasible so it's all good.

Looks like your run is going very well. Good luck with the rest of it!

JeffV
Pie of the Sky

Post by JeffV » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:18 am

First up, in reply to Jersey_Tomato:

- I'm really liking the Happy Medium! As much as people were recommending the Goth Kid to me when I was prepping, I'll stump for that. Not only for the booze, but for the effects (as you'll see later on here).

- I actually YRed a scary clown, unfortunately. I was fairly ticked off at that point and just hit the first clown that showed up (after a couple of in-the-boxes). Looking at my logs, I only faced two shaky clowns the entire time I was in there, and the first one didn't show up until ten turns after the one I blew up, so that might not have worked out anyway... *shrug* Good tip, though, thanks!
===Day 4===
Adventure count at day start: 119
Current meat: 13284
First thing I do - look for bounties! Degrassi, Knob Lab, Ninja Snowmen. Degrassi bounty is inaccessible due to moon sign, and the other two are going backwards for a guaranteed 40 turns. Bleh. Well, I've waited two years for Olfaction, one more day won't matter. In other news, plans for semirares today are stone wools and an inhaler. Fax is going to be a LFM - probably just one today, leaving the arrowing part for tomorrow when I can better handle the big monsters.
[610-618] Fantasy Airship [131,52,61]
+> [615] Got metallic A
[619] Hidden Temple [9,5,3]
[620-633] Fantasy Airship [198,77,65]
+> [620] Got Tissue Paper Immateria
+> [624] Got photoprotoneutron torpedo
+> [625] Got Tin Foil Immateria
+> [630] Got coconut shell, little paper umbrella, little paper umbrella, magical ice cubes
+> [630] Got magical ice cubes
+> [631] Got Gauze Immateria
[634] Hidden Temple [17,6,7]
[635-640] Fantasy Airship [61,27,23]
+> [637] Got Plastic Wrap Immateria
+> [640] Got S.O.C.K.
The airship is what it is. I knew the Goth Kid was an option to push through the minimums here, but methinks there's more options for that coming later, and the items are just too good here. The two hidden temple turns are going for the semirare - fortune cookie could only narrow it down that far, and the first one wasn't it. Two steel wools, and off to the castle.
-> Turn [640] Happy Medium
[641-672] Giant's Castle [1132,181,393]
+> [645] Got plot hole
+> [646] Got furry fur
+> [648] Got thin black candle
+> [655] Got heavy D, original G
+> [656] Got giant needle
+> [660] Got thin black candle
+> [661] Got thin black candle
+> [665] Got thin black candle
+> [668] Got thin black candle
+> [669] Got rave whistle
+> [672] Got awful poetry journal, ten-leaf clover, ten-leaf clover, ten-leaf clover
+> [672] Got thin black candle
-> Turn [654] Fancypants Scarecrow
My checklist for the Castle is slightly larger than usual because the two items I know I need for the tower are NG and thin black candle. Thus, I'm looking for two wheel turns, furry fur, giant needle, awful poetry journal, heavy D, original G, and four thin black candles. I popped NCs up as high as I could and prepped for the long haul with my Medium. Only to have the second wheel come off in under 15 turns with me having only picked up the furry fur and one candle. So I flipped over to the Spanglecrow and kept plugging away. The letters and the needle came up quick, and I was starting to think about math for whether it would be worth continuing to get enough candles for a demon summon, but the poetry journal decided to take its dear old time and I wound up with more than enough candles. Another note - hooray for the Spanglecrow's potato half - there was one turn of Cunctatitis where I got blocked for eight straight rounds, but the scarecrow stepped in for nine straight and I won anyway.

The question then became - what now? I was still a bit low on power to comfortably handle the HitS, so without much else to do I'm looking to powerlevel myself to 11 and get into the MacGuffin. I'm still only about halfway there, so rather than just dump all the turns into the Gallery and accomplish nothing, I took another look at the BHH list, cranked up the ML, and headed in for a bounty with the Ninja Snowmen. (Protip: Accept the bounty first. That's one turn I won't be getting back.)
[673] Post-Cyrpt Cemetary [0,0,0]
+> [673] Got disembodied brain, smart skull, ultrafondue
o> Ate 1 ultrafondue (14 adventures gained) [17,17,16]
-> Turn [673] Happy Medium
[674-714] Ninja Snowmen [709,315,303]
+> [674] Got frigid ninja stars
+> [682] Got Game Grid token
+> [685] Got Game Grid token
+> [686] Got Game Grid token
+> [714] Got filthy lucre, ten-leaf clover
-> Turn [679] Rogue Program
-> Turn [686] Happy Medium
[715-718] Haunted Gallery [1024,0,0]
+> [715] Got ten-leaf clover, ten-leaf clover, ten-leaf clover
o> Ate 1 astral hot dog (24 adventures gained) [237,207,195]
o> Ate 1 pumpkin pie (15 adventures gained) [14,12,28]
=> Level 11 (Turn 718)! (105/67/69)
Four clovers in the Gallery got me to 11 and left me with one for later for a round of super-ultra-hydration. (Is this a good use of the clovers?)
[719-723] Black Forest [79,46,38]
+> [720] Got adder bladder, sunken eyes
+> [721] Got broken wings
-> Turn [722] Fancypants Scarecrow
[724-726] Muscle Vacation [0,0,0]
[727-734] Desert (Unhydrated) [0,0,0]
+> [734] Got ten-leaf clover
[735] Oasis in the Desert [0,0,0]
[736] Desert (Ultrahydrated) [0,0,0]
-> Turn [736] Artistic Goth Kid
[737-738] Oasis in the Desert [19,10,10]
+> [737] Got stone rose
+> [738] Got drum machine
-> Turn [737] Fancypants Scarecrow
-> Turn [738] Artistic Goth Kid
[739-741] Desert (Ultrahydrated) [46,12,17]
[742-747] Oasis in the Desert [105,36,51]
+> [743] Got worm-riding manual page 1
+> [746] Got worm-riding manual page 2
+> [747] Got worm-riding manual pages 3-15
[748-749] Desert (Ultrahydrated) [20,11,11]
+> [749] Got worm-riding hooks
Here's where I pulled out the Goth Kid and put him to work. I pulled him out after having met Gnasir for the first time, and it probably would've done me better to do that in the Unhydrated desert, but I still managed to finish the whole desert with 8 turns of ultrahydrated remaining. Deal.
[750-751] Haunted Ballroom [24,6,5]
-> Turn [751] Fancypants Scarecrow
[752-756] Haunted Wine Cellar [114,59,53]
o> Drank 1 CSA cheerfulness ration (5 adventures gained) [48,50,45]
o> Drank 2 CSA scoutmaster's (24 adventures gained) [59,52,54]
o> Drank 2 Earth, Wind and Firewater (20 adventures gained) [0,68,0]
o> Drank 1 Green Giant (11 adventures gained) [0,40,0]
[757] Mix 1 whiskey sour + 1 coconut shell [0,0,0]
o> Drank 1 fuzzbump (14 adventures gained) [38,0,0]
I discovered after extracting some spirits earlier in the day that the effects from those spirits would be pretty ridiculously handy for the upcoming quests - namely, prismatic damage and prismatic resistance. Drink up! I've been quite happy with the Medium so far... this booze is coming in even handier than I could've hoped. I know there are more optimal stat familiars, but for now I'm perfectly happy with this one.
[758] Lord Spookyraven [69,23,39]
[759-760] Hidden Temple [0,0,0]
[763-779] Hidden City [327,183,179]
+> [779] Got bucket of wine, bucket of wine
o> Used 3 coffee pixie stick (25 adventures gained) [0,0,0]
-> Turn [762] Artistic Goth Kid
[780] Poop Deck [22,6,10]
[781] Hidden City (Altar of Bulbazinalli) [0,0,0]
[782] Hidden City (Altar of Pikachutlotal) [0,0,0]
[783] Hidden City (Altar of Squirtlcthulli) [0,0,0]
[784] Hidden City (Altar of Charcoatl) [0,0,0]
[785] Hidden City (Smallish Temple) [73,28,33]
[786] photocopied monster [27,11,14]
+> [786] Got barrel of gunpowder
o> Drank 1 Cobb's Knob Wurstbrau (3 adventures gained) [6,0,0]
o> Ate 1 bag of GORP (4 adventures gained) [22,23,24]
o> Drank 1 bucket of wine (26 adventures gained) [53,17,35]
o> Drank 1 cream stout (3 adventures gained) [11,9,9]
o> Ate 1 wasabi pocky (7 adventures gained) [7,6,8]
Spookyraven and all the Protector Spirits go down with nary an issue, thanks to the prismatic booze. I did pick up some black paint to make sure Spookyraven didn't give me any additional trouble, but I will certainly have to remember this tactic for future runs! I always forget to identify the spheres as I pick them up, so the one adventure in the poop deck was identifying all four spheres. I wound up with two turns left of the prismatic damage effect, and so was able to bump off the spectre with no issue as well. Unfortunately, I had run up against rollover. I bumped off the spectre with about five minutes to spare, so I quickly faxed in the LFM, finished my consuming for the day real quick, and banked 138 turns for tomorrow. (I think I'll have time to play a full day's worth tomorrow afternoon.)

As to the day - even though I played over 100 fewer turns than I could've, I still made all my goals. No major mistakes, just a couple of spots I could see where I could've made better familiar choices. Once again, no YRs. I vastly overestimated the time the airship and castle would take, and as a result got a lucre even with an exceedingly uncooperative BHH. Semirares were planned this time, though I only got to the one. Future plans:
  • Get a lucre!
  • Fax and arrow LFM tomorrow, which will get me all five barrels.
  • Remember to work on the HitS when there's time.
  • First semirare tomorrow will definitely be an inhaler. Next... Um. Massage oil? Eyedrops? Tasty tarts? Advice welcome. If I get another semirare past that before I get to the nuns, then another inhaler.
  • Looking toward the war - I'd like to do all six quests. Obviously I'll be pre-set for the Arena and the Beach, plan to pull a crystal skull and make the Gremlins trivial, and the other three quests are no big deal. Frat or hippy? I've heard of the nuns trick and I vaguely know how it works - is that something that would be worthwhile / feasible for me?
FAMILIARS
----------
Happy Medium : 275 combat turns (48.1%) - 16 pounds
Fancypants Scarecrow : 159 combat turns (27.8%) - 14 pounds
Artistic Goth Kid : 45 combat turns (7.9%) - 7 pounds
Rogue Program : 33 combat turns (5.8%) - 5 pounds
Slimeling : 26 combat turns (4.5%) - 5 pounds
Pair of Stomping Boots : 12 combat turns (2.1%) - 3 pounds
Obtuse Angel : 12 combat turns (2.1%) - 3 pounds
He-Boulder : 5 combat turns (0.9%) - 2 pounds
Hobo Monkey : 5 combat turns (0.9%) - 2 pounds

Draco Cracona
Gatekeeper of Hell

Post by Draco Cracona » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:50 am

Clovering for ultrahydrated is a good use of a clover- better than using it for powerlevelling.

JeffV
Pie of the Sky

Post by JeffV » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:27 am

Draco Cracona wrote:Clovering for ultrahydrated is a good use of a clover- better than using it for powerlevelling.
Sorry, I guess I didn't word that question too well - I know the ultrahydrated clover is good times, and I think I've done that in every non-BM run I've ever done. I was asking about the rest of it - is it a good idea to spend every clover (save the one for the oasis) powerleveling to 11, or should I have saved some and headed into the Gallery proper? With as much BM as I've done, clover management is not really my strong point.

Draco Cracona
Gatekeeper of Hell

Post by Draco Cracona » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:15 am

JeffV wrote:
Draco Cracona wrote:Clovering for ultrahydrated is a good use of a clover- better than using it for powerlevelling.
Sorry, I guess I didn't word that question too well - I know the ultrahydrated clover is good times, and I think I've done that in every non-BM run I've ever done. I was asking about the rest of it - is it a good idea to spend every clover (save the one for the oasis) powerleveling to 11, or should I have saved some and headed into the Gallery proper? With as much BM as I've done, clover management is not really my strong point.
Powerlevelling doesn't scale as well into the late game as clovering does, so you should try to save your clovers for as late as possible unless you're needing to hit a level milestone for something (consumption requirements, for example). It really depends on how short you'll be on leveling to 12 and 13 as to how many to save, though, and I almost invariably muck that up.

JeffV
Pie of the Sky

Post by JeffV » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:51 am

Today's plans:
- Fax and arrow LFM to get me to five barrels.
- Semirares will be inhaler and... something. If I get a chance for a third semirare pre-nuns, then another inhaler.
- YR for a war outfit.
- Try to hold off on the majority of eating until post-filthworms to get some fruit pies. Booze and spleen will be the same as I've been doing.

Time to go find a MacGuffin!
===Day 5===
Adventure count at day start: 188
Current meat: 12840

[787-789] Poop Deck [356,6,7]
-> Turn [789] Fancypants Scarecrow
[790-793] Belowdecks [87,32,39]
+> [790] Got snakehead charrrm
+> [793] Got snakehead charrrm
[794-809] Palindome [229,99,227]
+> [794] Got ketchup hound, stunt nuts
+> [795] Got photograph of God
+> [804] Got hard rock candy
+> [806] Got hard-boiled ostrich egg
[810] Cobb's Knob Barracks [0,0,0]
-> Turn [810] Artistic Goth Kid
[811] Cobb's Knob Laboratory [0,0,0]
-> Turn [811] Fancypants Scarecrow
[812-814] Whitey's Grove [12,7,7]
+> [812] Got lion oil
[815] Giant's Castle [0,0,0]
#> [815] Semirare: All The Rave
[816-846] Whitey's Grove [251,98,87]
+> [821] Got boxed wine, boxed wine, boxed wine
+> [822] Got boxed wine, boxed wine, boxed wine
+> [846] Got bird rib
-> Turn [846] Artistic Goth Kid
[847] Cobb's Knob Laboratory [0,0,0]
+> [847] Got Mega Gem
-> Turn [847] Happy Medium
[848] Palindome [72,32,34]
-> Turn [848] Obtuse Angel
Things went swimmingly in the Palindome portion of the quest... right up until Whitey's. I was running as much +item as I could muster (right up to the miner's helmet and observational glasses), but still couldn't get the bird rib to drop until the fourth whitesnake. (But of course, all four lions I faced dropped their lion oil. Go figure.) Mega Gem in hand, it's off to find Ed.
[849] photocopied monster [30,10,9]
+> [849] Got barrel of gunpowder
-> Turn [849] Artistic Goth Kid
[850-852] The Upper Chamber [52,20,23]
+> [852] Got carved wooden wheel
-> Turn [852] Rogue Program
[853-861] The Middle Chamber [148,62,72]
+> [856] Got Game Grid token
+> [860] Got Game Grid token
[862] The Lower Chambers (Token/Empty) [0,0,0]
[863-870] The Middle Chamber [112,39,49]
+> [864] Got Game Grid token
-> Turn [866] Happy Medium
[871] The Lower Chambers (Rubble/Bomb) [0,0,0]
[872-879] The Middle Chamber [138,61,67]
+> [872] Got barrel of gunpowder
[880] The Lower Chambers (Empty/Empty/Ed's Chamber) [0,0,0]
-> Turn [880] Fancypants Scarecrow
Given that I can only put up -10% combat, I don't feel this went too bad. 24 adventures in the middle chamber for the 10 rotations is okay. Hindsight being 20/20, I should've held onto some deodorants from my earlier frat orc bounty to make this go a bit faster.
[881-901] Hole in the Sky [527,227,210]
+> [884] Got star chart
+> [891] Got star chart
+> [897] Got barrel of gunpowder
+> [901] Got star chart
-> Turn [899] Pair of Stomping Boots
-> Turn [901] Happy Medium
[902-908] Ed the Undying [323,132,163]
I tend to wait a bit on Ed and finish up everything else I need to do since he has been a bad fight for me in the past, so before wrapping up the MacGuffin completely, it was off to the HitS to get the star key and gear. As usual for me, I wound up waiting for the third astronomer long after I had enough stars and lines. Afterward, Ed went down with his normal amount of complaint.
[909-952] Haunted Gallery [3418,326,300]
+> [918] Got barrel of gunpowder
+> [921] Got pitchfork
+> [952] Got filthy lucre
-> Turn [928] Pair of Stomping Boots
-> Turn [929] Happy Medium
=> Level 12 (Turn 922)! (125/78/80)
This was a time for the BHH to finally do something that worked for me - a Gallery bounty! Powerleveled a fair way into 12 and got my fifth lucre.

The time had now come for the war, and options abounded. Let me first say a HUGE thank-you to everyone in AfH/k /clan chat who helped me sort through said options and get to a game plan. My preference was to go as a hippy as I've done in the past - mostly for food but also for the arena buffs. I also would like to do all six quests - with the GMoB already set up, the five LFMs already defeated, and a crystal skull for the gremlins sitting in reserve, the three later sidequests would present no problems. The issue was that I didn't have the civilian frat outfit completed - somehow on my whirlwind trip through the frat house in my bounty on day 2 I had missed one piece of the outfit. I did YR a hippy at one point though, so I have the full hippy civilian outfit. I was left with the following options:
  1. Go into the frat house undisguised, try to pick up the third civilian outfit piece, which will then let me go into the hippy camp and YR the hippy war outfit.
  2. Farm the hippy war outfit as a hippy.
  3. Hang the hippies and fight as a frat - put on the hippy clothes and go YR an orc.
Thanks once again to those in /clan chat who helped me figure that little puzzler out - I decided to go with option A.
[953] Wartime Frat House [0,0,0]
o> Used 2 coffee pixie stick (17 adventures gained) [0,0,0]
o> Used 1 oily paste (9 adventures gained) [24,22,18]
-> Turn [953] He-Boulder
[954] Hippy Camp [25,14,8]
+> [954] Got bullet-proof corduroys, reinforced beaded headband, round purple sunglasses
}> [954] Disintegrated Bait and Switch
-> Turn [954] Happy Medium
[955] Wartime Frat House [0,0,50]
[956] Wartime Frat House (Hippy Disguise) [0,0,0]
...and a good choice it was, too. The baseball cap dropped on the first turn in the frat house, one turn in the hippy camp got me the war hippy fatigues, and I got the war started after only two turns in the frat house. I'm certain that's the fastest I've ever managed to get the war going.
[957-968] Barn [219,102,104]
-> Turn [957] Fancypants Scarecrow
[969-973] Pond [133,57,53]
[974-978] Back 40 [119,55,65]
+> [977] Got duct tape
[979-983] Other Back 40 [120,57,65]
[984-992] Themthar Hills [228,89,103]
[993] Limerick Dungeon [0,0,0]
#> [993] Semirare: The Bleary-Eyed Cyclops
[994-1005] Themthar Hills [291,141,122]
o> Drank 1 Aye Aye, Tooth Tooth (11 adventures gained) [0,0,31]
o> Drank 1 CSA cheerfulness ration (5 adventures gained) [47,40,48]
o> Drank 1 CSA scoutmaster's (12 adventures gained) [28,26,24]
o> Drank 1 Oh, the Humanitini (11 adventures gained) [19,20,19]
o> Drank 1 Shot of the Living Dead (11 adventures gained) [44,0,0]
o> Drank 1 Sloe Comfortable Zoo on Fire (11 adventures gained) [41,0,0]
[1006-1008] Hatching Chamber [71,37,29]
[1009-1011] Feeding Chamber [75,32,31]
[1012-1013] Guards' Chamber [44,25,23]
[1014] Queen's Chamber [25,10,13]
[1015-1031] Battlefield (Hippy Uniform) [433,167,187]
+> [1016] Got distressed denim pants
+> [1019] Got bejeweled pledge pin
+> [1031] Got crystal skull
The one thing I'll mention from this stretch is the nuns - before diving in, I dug through the tables on the scarecrow and noticed that Buoybottoms gave me a full-weight leprechaun/potato here. With my hobo monkey still sitting down at just a couple of pounds, I went with the scarecrow. (And the inhaler, and the demon summon, and whatever else I could get my hands on.) Aside from that, the dooks are the dooks, I used the cyclops eyedrops to make for a nine-turn filthworms, and kicked off the war proper!
-> Turn [1031] Happy Medium
[1032-1033] Next to that Barrel with Something Burning in it [28,15,10]
+> [1033] Got molybdenum hammer
[1034] Over Where the Old Tires Are [35,10,9]
+> [1034] Got molybdenum crescent wrench
[1035-1036] Near an Abandoned Refrigerator [47,27,30]
+> [1035] Got gremlin juice
+> [1036] Got molybdenum pliers
[1037-1040] Out By that Rusted-Out Car [105,53,53]
+> [1040] Got molybdenum screwdriver
-> Turn [1040] Fancypants Scarecrow
[1041-1049] Battlefield (Hippy Uniform) [253,94,103]
[1050-1055] Haunted Bathroom [80,30,28]
-> Turn [1053] Happy Medium
-> Turn [1055] Fancypants Scarecrow
[1056-1064] Battlefield (Hippy Uniform) [245,112,110]
o> Ate 1 pumpkin pie (17 adventures gained) [17,17,12]
[1065] The Man [141,59,78]
+> [1065] Got ten-leaf clover
[1066-1068] Haunted Gallery [958,0,0]
+> [1066] Got ten-leaf clover
+> [1067] Got ten-leaf clover
+> [1068] Got ten-leaf clover
=> Level 13 (Turn 1068)! (148/87/90)
The lighthouse was completed earlier today, the gremlins were no problem after banishing the A.M.C. with a crystal skull, and the GMoB showed up and went down without a great deal of fanfare to complete the flyering. I tossed a couple of crayon shavings at The Man which made that fight simple as well. All told, including all six sidequests (with the LFMs) and the battlefield itself, a 117-turn war. I'll buy that. Three clovers of leveling (which I should've saved, oh well) and I'm 13. Off to the sorceress!
[1069] South of the Border [0,0,0]
+> [1069] Got lime-and-chile-flavored chewing gum, odor extractor, pack of chewing gum, pickle-flavored chewing gum
+> [1069] Got tamarind-flavored chewing gum
[1070-1073] Belowdecks [68,46,40]
+> [1073] Got Jarlsberg's key, acoustic guitarrr
*> [1071] Started hunting grungy pirate
Gates required thin black candle (which I knew), chewing gum (which I didn't have), and of course a bang potion (which I was set for). Doing a quick inventory of the required items, I realized that in addition to having no gum, I had no guitar. After another quick consultation in /clan (thanks again, folks!) I used my final clover to get gum, and then headed Belowdecks to snag an acoustic guitarrr from the grungy pirate, spending a lucre to make sure I could find him. It took three grungy pirates, but it dropped. The keys were no problem - without a clover for the skeleton key, I still managed to hit an 11 before I even needed to heal once - I think it was something like seven or eight rolls.
[1074-1080] Sorceress' Hedge Maze [169,82,68]
o> Ate 2 Crimbo pie (23 adventures gained) [85,0,0]
o> Ate 1 gnatloaf casserole (13 adventures gained) [41,0,0]
[1081] Sorceress Tower: Level 1 [20,8,14]
[1082] Sorceress Tower: Level 2 [26,11,6]
[1083] Sorceress Tower: Level 3 [0,0,0]
[1084] Batrat and Ratbat Burrow [5,2,1]
+> [1084] Got sonar-in-a-biscuit
[1085] Sorceress Tower: Level 3 [28,9,5]
[1086] Sorceress Tower: Level 4 [19,7,15]
[1087] Sorceress Tower: Level 5 [14,13,14]
[1088] Sorceress Tower: Level 6 [22,10,9]
The hedge maze is what it is. Simple enough, and I'm good at those mazes. The tower required NG (which I knew), bath salts (hooray GMoB), sonar (which I managed to backfarm in one turn), hair spray (yep), razor-sharp can lid (been holding onto it since turn 4), and barbed-wire fence (gogo shore counter). So far so good.
-> Turn [1088] Mosquito
[1089-1090] Sorceress Tower: Shadow Fight [0,0,0]
-> Turn [1090] Fancypants Scarecrow
[1091-1106] 8-Bit Realm [84,31,35]
[1107] Sorceress Tower: Shadow Fight [0,0,0]
[1108-1116] 8-Bit Realm [41,22,20]
o> Drank 1 CSA scoutmaster's (12 adventures gained) [33,21,24]
o> Drank 2 plum wine (15 adventures gained) [41,0,0]
[1117] Sorceress Tower: Shadow Fight [115,57,39]
...until this. For one, I forgot the ordering in the Chamber, thought I was coming up to familiars and was not prepped for the shadow. Then, rather than running away, prepping correctly, and coming back, I panicked and tried to beat it as-is, thus using up my three pixel potions before getting beaten up. Crap. Backfarm for more pixel potions, try again. This time I thought I was prepped but forgot one detail - healing to full. Back we go AGAIN for more potions. This time, fully healed and prepped, things go down as expected.
+> [1117] Got furry halo
Another lack of planning on my part. I had opted out of picking up pet snacks at any point during this run, figuring that between Sympathy, the arena, pet-buffing spray, the pool table, and the hatter, I would have some combination of effects to get me to 20 pounds. Except that in my haste to get through other parts of the day, I had already used up my hatter buff and all three pool table buffs. Fortunately, I had clip art summons left, and the nice folks in /clan once again set me straight and a furry halo got me through.
[1118-1123] Sorceress Tower: Naughty Sorceress [284,116,126]
And then this happened as well. At this point I was tilting pretty hard from the amazing turnaround that I had just experienced (from probably my best war ever and a really good tower and everything, to the epic fails at the shadow and familiars). I'm guessing I could have beaten her sooner and that there were things I could have done to make this fight easier, but I no longer really cared. I just kept plugging away (damn near bankrupting myself off of healing) until I got lucky on enough shield/knee combos to win the game. Hi-Keeba. Thank god.
Turn rundown finished!

JeffV
Pie of the Sky

Post by JeffV » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:56 am

The end-of-run run-down:
ADVENTURES
----------
Haunted Gallery: 52
8-Bit Realm: 46
Ninja Snowmen: 41
Bat Hole Entryway: 37
Battlefield (Hippy Uniform): 35
Frat House: 35
Whitey's Grove: 34
Giant's Castle: 33
Haunted Bathroom: 33
Fantasy Airship: 29
Orc Chasm: 28
Fun House: 26
The Middle Chamber: 25
Hole in the Sky: 21
Themthar Hills: 21
Spooky Forest: 20
eXtreme Slope: 19
Itznotyerzitz Mine (in Disguise): 19
Barrrney's Barrr: 18
Hidden City: 17
Palindome: 17
Belilafs Comedy Club: 16
Dark Elbow of the Woods: 16
Dark Heart of the Woods: 16
Dark Neck of the Woods: 16
Defiled Niche: 16
Haunted Library: 16
Dungeons of Doom: 15
Defiled Cranny: 14
Defiled Nook: 14
Haunted Ballroom: 14
Hey Deze Arena: 14
Daily Dungeon: 13
Barn: 12
Defiled Alcove: 12
F'c'le: 12
Haunted Bedroom: 12
Cobb's Knob Barracks: 11
Greater-Than Sign: 11
Itznotyerzitz Mine: 11
Outskirts of The Knob: 11
Haunted Conservatory: 9
Muscle Vacation: 9
Oasis in the Desert: 9
Belowdecks: 8
Desert (Unhydrated): 8
Haunted Billiards Room: 8
Haunted Pantry: 8
Pirate Cove: 8
Tavern Cellar: 8
Boss Bat's Lair: 7
Ed the Undying: 7
Sorceress' Hedge Maze: 7
Desert (Ultrahydrated): 6
Goatlet: 6
Sorceress Tower: Naughty Sorceress: 6
Back 40: 5
Black Forest: 5
Haunted Wine Cellar: 5
Other Back 40: 5
photocopied monster: 5
Pond: 5
Sleazy Back Alley: 5
Hidden Temple: 4
Mist-Shrouded Peak: 4
Out By that Rusted-Out Car: 4
Poop Deck: 4
Sorceress Tower: Shadow Fight: 4
Cobb's Knob Kitchens: 3
Feeding Chamber: 3
Hatching Chamber: 3
Moxie Vacation: 3
Mysticality Vacation: 3
The Upper Chamber: 3
Cobb's Knob Laboratory: 2
Guards' Chamber: 2
Hippy Camp: 2
Lemon Party: 2
Near an Abandoned Refrigerator: 2
Next to that Barrel with Something Burning in it: 2
Post-Cyrpt Cemetary: 2
Sorceress Tower: Level 3: 2
Throne Room: 2
Wartime Frat House: 2
Batrat and Ratbat Burrow: 1
Beanbat Chamber: 1
Cap'm Caronch's Map: 1
Cobb's Knob Harem: 1
Cook 1 unfrosted Knob cake + 1 Knob frosting: 1
Guano Junction: 1
Haert of the Cyrpt: 1
Hidden City (Altar of Bulbazinalli): 1
Hidden City (Altar of Charcoatl): 1
Hidden City (Altar of Pikachutlotal): 1
Hidden City (Altar of Squirtlcthulli): 1
Hidden City (Smallish Temple): 1
Limerick Dungeon: 1
Lord Spookyraven: 1
Mix 1 Typical Tavern swill + 1 coconut shell: 1
Mix 1 whiskey sour + 1 coconut shell: 1
Over Where the Old Tires Are: 1
Pandamonium Slums: 1
Queen's Chamber: 1
Sorceress Tower: Level 1: 1
Sorceress Tower: Level 2: 1
Sorceress Tower: Level 4: 1
Sorceress Tower: Level 5: 1
Sorceress Tower: Level 6: 1
South of the Border: 1
The Infiltrationist: 1
The Lower Chambers (Empty/Empty/Ed's Chamber): 1
The Lower Chambers (Rubble/Bomb): 1
The Lower Chambers (Token/Empty): 1
The Man: 1
Wartime Frat House (Hippy Disguise): 1

QUEST TURNS
----------
Mosquito Larva: 9
Opening the Hidden Temple: 20
Tavern quest: 8
Bat quest: 46
Cobb's Knob quest: 27
Friars' quest: 48
Pandamonium quest: 30
Defiled Cyrpt quest: 57
Trapzor quest: 36
Orc Chasm quest: 28
Airship: 29
Giant's Castle: 33
Opening the Ballroom: 39
Pirate quest: 48
Black Forest quest: 5
Desert Oasis quest: 23
Spookyraven quest: 8
Hidden City quest: 21
Palindome quest: 53
Pyramid quest: 38
Starting the War: 2
War Island quest: 96
DoD quest: 26

LEVELS
----------
Hit Level 1 on turn 0, 0 from last level. (0.0 substats / turn)
Combats: 0
Noncombats: 0
Other: 0
Hit Level 2 on turn 0, 0 from last level. (25.0 substats / turn)
Hit Level 3 on turn 0, 0 from last level. (39.0 substats / turn)
Hit Level 4 on turn 22, 22 from last level. (4.8 substats / turn)
Combats: 17
Noncombats: 5
Hit Level 5 on turn 77, 55 from last level. (4.2 substats / turn)
Combats: 48
Noncombats: 6
Other: 1
Hit Level 6 on turn 139, 62 from last level. (7.1 substats / turn)
Combats: 46
Noncombats: 10
Other: 6
Hit Level 7 on turn 224, 85 from last level. (8.9 substats / turn)
Combats: 64
Noncombats: 15
Other: 3
Hit Level 8 on turn 319, 95 from last level. (12.7 substats / turn)
Combats: 83
Noncombats: 5
Other: 6
Hit Level 9 on turn 474, 155 from last level. (11.7 substats / turn)
Combats: 93
Noncombats: 40
Other: 19
Hit Level 10 on turn 609, 135 from last level. (19.3 substats / turn)
Combats: 104
Noncombats: 30
Hit Level 11 on turn 718, 109 from last level. (32.9 substats / turn)
Combats: 86
Noncombats: 23
Hit Level 12 on turn 922, 204 from last level. (23.6 substats / turn)
Combats: 127
Noncombats: 70
Other: 4
Hit Level 13 on turn 1068, 146 from last level. (43.0 substats / turn)
Combats: 129
Noncombats: 17

Total COMBATS: 849 (75.6%)
Total NONCOMBATS: 224 (19.9%)
Total OTHER: 39 (3.5%)

STATS
----------
Muscle Myst Moxie
Totals: 23090 8133 8577
Combats: 13027 5775 5745
Noncombats: 7504 595 1035
Others: 29 0 0
Eating: 1025 847 823
Drinking: 1271 704 766
Using: 234 212 208

Top 10 mainstat gaining areas:

Haunted Gallery 5608 326 300
From consumables 2530 1763 1797
Giant's Castle 1132 181 393
Haunted Bathroom 966 176 164
Battlefield (Hippy Uniform) 931 373 400
Ninja Snowmen 709 315 303
Barrrney's Barrr 535 409 426
Hole in the Sky 527 227 210
Themthar Hills 519 230 225
The Middle Chamber 398 162 188

+STAT BREAKDOWN
----------
Need to gain level (last is total): 10 39 105 231 441 759 1209 1815 2601 3591 4809 6279 21904
buoybottoms: 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 18 18
victor, the insult comic hellhound puppet: 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 16 0 0 0 16

FAMILIARS
----------
Fancypants Scarecrow : 356 combat turns (41.9%)
Happy Medium : 338 combat turns (39.8%)
Artistic Goth Kid : 47 combat turns (5.5%)
Rogue Program : 41 combat turns (4.8%)
Slimeling : 26 combat turns (3.1%)
Pair of Stomping Boots : 15 combat turns (1.8%)
Obtuse Angel : 13 combat turns (1.5%)
He-Boulder : 6 combat turns (0.7%)
Hobo Monkey : 5 combat turns (0.6%)
Mosquito : 2 combat turns (0.2%)

SEMI-RARES
----------
79 : The Pilsbury Doughjerk
262 : Lunchboxing
450 : The Pilsbury Doughjerk
460 : Bad ASCII Art
815 : All The Rave
993 : The Bleary-Eyed Cyclops

HUNTED COMBATS
----------
1071 : grungy pirate

YELLOW DESTRUCTION
----------
122 : scary clown
150 : sleepy mariachi
329 : crusty hippy
954 : Bait and Switch

COPIED COMBATS
----------
1 : sleepy mariachi
150 : sleepy mariachi
460 : Bad ASCII Art
786 : lobsterfrogman
849 : lobsterfrogman

Romantic Arrow usage:
41 : albino bat
405 : large kobold
849 : lobsterfrogman

FREE RUNAWAYS
----------
2 / 2 free retreats overall

76 : Outskirts of The Knob -- Knob Goblin Barbecue Team
445 : Haunted Bedroom -- animated nightstand

CASTS
----------
Cast 280 patience of the tortoise
Cast 129 the moxious madrigal
Cast 121 the magical mojomuscular melody
Cast 33 knee + shield combo
Cast 28 advanced cocktailcrafting
Cast 23 summon clip art
Cast 22 siphon spirit
Cast 17 return
Cast 16 the ode to booze
Cast 11 summon alice's army cards
Cast 4 point at your opponent
Cast 3 fire a badly romantic arrow
Cast 3 release the boots

------------------
| Total Casts | 690
------------------

------------------
| Total MP Spent | 2412
------------------

MP GAINS
----------
Total mp gained: 4147

Inside Encounters: 3562
Starfish Familiars: 288
Resting: 0
Outside Encounters: 0
Consumables: 297

Level 3:
Inside Encounters: 0
Starfish Familiars: 0
Consumables: 10
Level 4:
Inside Encounters: 0
Starfish Familiars: 30
Consumables: 0
Level 5:
Inside Encounters: 21
Starfish Familiars: 67
Level 6:
Inside Encounters: 615
Starfish Familiars: 68
Level 7:
Inside Encounters: 738
Starfish Familiars: 33
Level 8:
Inside Encounters: 257
Level 9:
Inside Encounters: 415
Starfish Familiars: 19
Level 10:
Inside Encounters: 236
Starfish Familiars: 42
Level 11:
Inside Encounters: 421
Starfish Familiars: 29
Level 12:
Inside Encounters: 643
Level 13:
Inside Encounters: 216
Consumables: 267

EATING AND DRINKING AND USING
----------
Adventures gained eating: 295
Adventures gained drinking: 503
Adventures gained using: 117
Adventures gained rollover: 208

Ate 6 fortune cookie (6 adventures gained) [0,0,0]
Ate 6 tasty tart (35 adventures gained) [36,34,33]
Ate 4 bat wing kabob (11 adventures gained) [0,30,0]
Ate 4 pumpkin pie (65 adventures gained) [82,77,89]
Ate 3 astral hot dog (60 adventures gained) [597,529,505]
Ate 3 ultrafondue (42 adventures gained) [55,54,51]
Ate 2 Crimbo pie (23 adventures gained) [85,0,0]
Ate 2 Knob pasty (11 adventures gained) [11,11,12]
Ate 2 bag of GORP (8 adventures gained) [49,46,49]
Ate 1 Ur-Donut (3 adventures gained) [62,60,67]
Ate 1 bag of GORF (2 adventures gained) [0,0,0]
Ate 1 bag of QWOP (5 adventures gained) [0,0,0]
Ate 1 gnatloaf casserole (13 adventures gained) [41,0,0]
Ate 1 rat appendix kabob (4 adventures gained) [0,0,9]
Ate 1 wasabi pocky (7 adventures gained) [7,6,8]

Drank 6 CSA scoutmaster's (70 adventures gained) [175,146,148]
Drank 5 CSA cheerfulness ration (25 adventures gained) [240,220,233]
Drank 4 Shot of the Living Dead (42 adventures gained) [161,0,0]
Drank 4 bucket of wine (109 adventures gained) [184,105,170]
Drank 3 Oh, the Humanitini (32 adventures gained) [59,54,53]
Drank 3 Sizzling Sinner (31 adventures gained) [115,0,0]
Drank 3 Sloe Comfortable Zoo (25 adventures gained) [90,0,0]
Drank 3 pumpkin beer (18 adventures gained) [34,29,39]
Drank 2 Earth, Wind and Firewater (20 adventures gained) [0,68,0]
Drank 2 plum wine (15 adventures gained) [41,0,0]
Drank 1 Aye Aye, Tooth Tooth (11 adventures gained) [0,0,31]
Drank 1 Cobb's Knob Wurstbrau (3 adventures gained) [6,0,0]
Drank 1 Flaming Sazerorc (11 adventures gained) [41,0,0]
Drank 1 Fuzzy Tentacle (8 adventures gained) [0,25,0]
Drank 1 Green Giant (11 adventures gained) [0,40,0]
Drank 1 Plague of Locusts (10 adventures gained) [0,0,38]
Drank 1 Slimebite (11 adventures gained) [0,0,36]
Drank 1 Sloe Comfortable Zoo on Fire (11 adventures gained) [41,0,0]
Drank 1 cream stout (3 adventures gained) [11,9,9]
Drank 1 fuzzbump (14 adventures gained) [38,0,0]
Drank 1 steel margarita (0 adventures gained) [0,0,0]
Drank 1 thermos full of Knob coffee (6 adventures gained) [5,5,6]
Drank 1 tropical swill (17 adventures gained) [30,3,3]

Used 12 coffee pixie stick (92 adventures gained) [0,0,0]
Used 3 oily paste (25 adventures gained) [69,62,58]

MEAT
----------
Total meat gained: 82231
Total meat spent: 59851

Level 3:
Meat gain inside Encounters: 636
Meat gain outside Encounters: 2530
Meat spent: 370
Level 4:
Meat gain inside Encounters: 906
Meat gain outside Encounters: 1250
Meat spent: 1798
Level 5:
Meat gain inside Encounters: 2317
Meat gain outside Encounters: 300
Meat spent: 3172
Level 6:
Meat gain inside Encounters: 2537
Meat gain outside Encounters: 0
Meat spent: 1040
Level 7:
Meat gain inside Encounters: 2255
Meat gain outside Encounters: 300
Meat spent: 2080
Level 8:
Meat gain inside Encounters: 2762
Meat gain outside Encounters: 9828
Meat spent: 3209
Level 9:
Meat gain inside Encounters: 5314
Meat gain outside Encounters: 0
Meat spent: 580
Level 10:
Meat gain inside Encounters: 5174
Meat gain outside Encounters: 2773
Meat spent: 1270
Level 11:
Meat gain inside Encounters: 5958
Meat gain outside Encounters: 706
Meat spent: 14274
Level 12:
Meat gain inside Encounters: 9870
Meat gain outside Encounters: 5131
Meat spent: 7844
Level 13:
Meat gain inside Encounters: 347
Meat gain outside Encounters: 21337
Meat spent: 24214

BOTTLENECKS
----------
Spent 46 turns in the 8-Bit Realm
Fought 7 bloopers
Fought 4 bullet bills
Spent 6 turns in the Goatlet
Fought 3 dairy goats for 3 cheeses and 1 glasses of milk
Spent 14 turns in the Haunted Ballroom and found 0 Curtains
Fought 2 Zombie Waltzers and found 0 Dance Cards
Spent 52 turns in the Haunted Gallery and found 8 Louvres
Spent 33 turns in the Haunted Bathroom and found 9 noncombats
Garnishes received: 24
Coconuts: 7
Umbrellas: 10
Ice Cubes: 7
Number of lost combats: 10
sleepy mariachi: 1
The Knob Goblin King: 115
CH Imp: 204
Shadow Alligator Subjugator: 1089
Shadow Alligator Subjugator: 1107
The Naughty Sorceress: 1118
The Naughty Sorceress: 1119
The Naughty Sorceress: 1120
The Naughty Sorceress: 1121
The Naughty Sorceress: 1122
I'm not going to go into too much postgame here, but in relation to my goals pre-run:
  1. Single-digit daycount in under 1500 turns - Yep, I think 5/1123 qualifies. Never in a million years did I figure for a 7-skill 5-dayer.
  2. Not make the same mistakes I did in my previous run - Success, I suppose. I made completely new and different mistakes this time. (Which I'm okay with, honestly. I firmly believe that mistakes are fine, as long as you learn from them.)
  3. Focus on buff / MP management - Well, that was pretty easy. I feel I succeeded on that day 1, getting Ode by the end of the day to at least have 10 ode-d drunk. By day 2 I had the double-ice cap, and MP was no longer an issue. I simply don't have enough skills to even have to worry about that yet.
  4. Not get overwhelmed by all the goodies I have - Mostly successful. I'm quite certain I forgot things every day. I know I didn't get the stomping boots to their potential, but I'm guessing that's largely because I don't have much in the way of familiar skills. Good enough.
  5. To that end, keep familiar use as simple as possible - Yep. Kept to my list, only deviated at the very end to find a better leprechaun for the nuns, and overall felt I did much better at familiar management than I have in the past. Had I not done that prepwork, I feel confident that I would've been overwhelmed by options and screwed up horrendously.
  6. Winning a contest prize - well, we'll see about that! I feel that 5/1123 is a solid run, especially in the low tier, so I'm thinking I certainly have a chance!
  7. Above all, continue to learn and improve, through playing, logging, and feedback - Win. Between feedback directly on this log, discussions in clan chat, my own preparations and thought processes and just trying to play efficiently, I feel I've learned a lot, so whether I win the contest or not, that's a win right there for me.
Aside from that, one other takeaway from this - I'm not cut out to play speed. I believe I'm capable of it, but I simply don't have the time in real life. This was basically all I did for the last week or so when I wasn't working, sleeping, or doing something else I had to do. If circumstances change in the future then I might come back to the speed game, but for now I'll just continue dinking away at lazycore periodically at my own pace and enjoy the game my way. :)

Thank you once again to Alliance from Heck and littlelolligagged for hosting this contest!

I welcome feedback on any or all of this run or the log - the fact that speed may not be my thing doesn't mean I don't want to know what I could do better! Thanks everyone! [/log]
Last edited by JeffV on Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Draco Cracona
Gatekeeper of Hell

Re: JeffV's DitR 5/1123 HCNP TT (Mongoose) - Comments Welcom

Post by Draco Cracona » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:27 am

With the double-ice cap, you're almost certain not to lose to the shadow with garters/other war healing stuff- and that's pretty much certain if you get the jump, even moreso if you picked up a soggy used band-aid from the swimming pool. Don't go for RPPs :)

As for Her Naughtiness, as a muscle class I tend to just wear as much +mus as I can so that iI can hit her and just melee her to death with a hipster out. Any high damage familiar should make her easier.