Creelie's telescope journal

Moderator: Raccoon

Creelie
Inscrutable Pi

Creelie's telescope journal

Post by Creelie » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:14 pm

EDIT: I started this log for my usual purpose of trying to ascend in a less flaily fashion. However the run went straight to hell due to RL circumstances. I will however keep updating this thread with my experiences in aftercore and basement diving. /EDIT

Hokay, so. I have been peer-pressured into going for a telescope at last. I hear the best way to get a running start on a basement dive is a BIG! ascension. So that's what I'm planning to do. I'm going Sauceror, primarily for potion economy during the dive, and also to perm Curse of Marinara. Post-prism I want to level to at least around 23 or so, also for potion/buff economy and because I want the level 30 trophy.
=== DAY 1 ===

[1-204] Day 1 turns
  • [#] (none)
    [1] [DungeonFAQ - Level 1]
    • [#] Used astral energy drink [34 adventures gained]
      [#] Used handful of Smithereens [2 adventures gained]
      [1] a ninja snowman assassin (fight from photocopied monster)
    [2] Guano Junction
    [3] The Beanbat Chamber
    • [3] a beanbat
      Disintegrated opponent!
    [4-11] The Defiled Alcove
    • [11] a modern zmobie
      Winked at reanimator!
    [12-16] The Haunted Kitchen
    [17-22] The Haunted Pantry
    • [#] Drank Irish Coffee, English Heart [8 adventures gained]
      [#] Drank Irish Coffee, English Heart [6 adventures gained]
    [23-30] The Dark Heart of the Woods
    [31-46] The Dark Elbow of the Woods
    • [#] Ate fortune cookie [1 adventure gained]
    [47-62] The Dark Neck of the Woods
    • [47] a Hellion
      On the trail!
      [#] Ate Hell ramen [36 adventures gained]
    [63-72] Infernal Rackets Backstage
    [73-74] The Laugh Floor
    [75] Itznotyerzitz Mine
    [76-87] The Laugh Floor
    • [#] Used Unconscious Collective Dream Jar [9 adventures gained]
    [88-90] Infernal Rackets Backstage
    • [#] Drank Imp Ale [1 adventure gained]
    [91-95] The Haunted Billiards Room
    [96-101] The Haunted Library
    • [96] a writing desk
      On the trail!
    [102-112] The Haunted Bathroom
    [113-118] The Haunted Gallery
    [119-128] The Haunted Bedroom
    [129-133] The Haunted Ballroom
    • [#] Drank Shot of the Living Dead [11 adventures gained]
      [#] Drank CSA cheerfulness ration [5 adventures gained]
      [#] Drank snifter of thoroughly aged brandy [6 adventures gained]
    [134] The Defiled Alcove
    [135-146] The Defiled Niche
    • [138] a dirty old lihc
      On the trail!
    [147-153] The Goatlet
    [154-162] The Shore, Inc. Travel Agency
    [163] The Hippy Camp
    • [163] a crusty hippy
      Disintegrated opponent!
    [164-166] The Goatlet
    • [#] Drank roll in the hay [14 adventures gained]
    [167-180] The Black Forest
    • [#] Ate badass pie [10 adventures gained]
      [#] Ate fortune cookie [2 adventures gained]
      [#] Ate bag of GORF [3 adventures gained]
      [#] Ate blackberry [4 adventures gained]
    [181-194] The Obligatory Pirate's Cove
    [#] The Haunted Nursery
    [195-197] The Obligatory Pirate's Cove
    [198-202] The Daily Dungeon
    • [200] I Wanna Be a Door
      Beaten up.
    [203-204] The Outskirts of Cobb's Knob
    • [#] Drank perpendicular hula [14 adventures gained]
Sooo. This is BIG! I...I have no idea what to do.

I screwed up immediately, killing the assassin before arrowing it. At least I got the DNA I wanted. I salvaged by winking at a modern zmobie. I decided to go for Liver before the Song, worried I wouldn't have time for both without any good food/booze and not really wanting max NC in the Neck. I got enough hellion cubes to take the pressure right off re:buying a mushroom plot, which is good because between wanting to open everything at once and needing guild skills I'm struggling meat-wise. More boss kills will start rolling in soon which should help.

Gambled on the foreman without a YR and won. Unaccompanied Miner is going to save me some clovers. Glad I got started on it today.

I thought I had 12 cubeling turns but I was wrong. Opened a couple of doors the old-fashioned way, how embarrassing! My Jung jar also didn't drop until turn 33 with the fam.

Managed a badass pie and a red aura booze. Might get 2 pies tomorrow as grinder has a second boss bit loaded, so if I took him straight through the Bat Hole the timing might line up.

It's weird to not have full coverage of the dietary +smithsness buffs. I guess I might as well stick to the 50-turn food and booze and deploy it as needed, such as for +ML fest in the Cellar, Oil Peak and for swarms.

Notes for tomorrow:
-1st YR hobo, 2nd burly sidekick (sniff quiet healer).
-fax quantum mechanic, kill with +150% item drops.
-if I finish mining tomorrow, find one assassin manually and arrow it. This can be later in the day so long as there is time to kill one wandering.
-goth fights: opening Knob, getting mosquito larva. Get the Knob before the SR. After larva switch to grill hoping for hot damage potion. Make sure to get plant DNA in forest!
-after KGE, next SR should be inhaler. Unlock castle with silent running buff; lap dog will be day 3 because of snow boards.
Last edited by Creelie on Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Creelie
Inscrutable Pi

Re: Creelie HC BIG! Sauceror (telescope run)

Post by Creelie » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:56 pm

Family stuff is taking me and wee Creeloo out of town unexpectedly tonight. We'll be back very late Saturday. I may or may not have internet access/spare time.

Creelie
Inscrutable Pi

Re: Creelie HC BIG! Sauceror (telescope run)

Post by Creelie » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:55 pm

Okay so I was able to get on and play some turns, but not in an uninterrupted way. Between turns wasted by rollover and distracted play, the run is pretty thoroughly borked. This is now going to be the log of my first basement dive.

As it turned out, I was able to beat the NS at 5/796 even with all my mistakes. I am pleased that I estimated my turncount so accurately. BIG! could be really fun with a little practice . . . and enough time to play. The RL time commitment of HCO is much, MUCH easier to handle.

Now for powerlevelling! I'm thinking farming up a hobo monkey, and exploring The Sea.

EDIT THE FIRST: Got my hobo monkey today! Joy! I love getting more familiars. Stepped into the Sea as well. Not quite halfway through level 20.

EDIT THE SECOND: Beat Yog-Urt today! Got my first piece of the Hateful Habiliment, which seems like the best Sea outfit to go for first. Also farted around farming sushi parts I won't eat this ascension and did a Broden quest chain, as well as levelling a bit in the Sloppy Seconds Diner. The stat gains from the scaling monsters there are tremendous, especially with a sombrero equipped - on future telescope runs I will probably be spending a lot of time there, since I won't have the hobo monkey to farm up. I'm about 1/3 of the way through level 22. At level 23 I will start the dive proper!

Creelie
Inscrutable Pi

Re: Creelie's telescope journal

Post by Creelie » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:31 am

Day 1 of diving in Fernswarthy's Basement, featuring the first 100 floors!

I haven't needed to do much yet. Wearing my slimesuit and some +spell damage gear, overkilling things with weaksaucegeyser. I've had to start using combat items on the beer golem already.

I was hoping to post log text, but the record stops at killing the NS. How to track resources used? I guess I can try to keep a running tally.

-maintaining 70 smithsness via gear and consumables
-used 3 divine cans of silly string
-taking all mysticality stat rewards, and moxie when no myst reward present
-still using Grill for more stat gains (I do want level 30 eventually)
-switching intrinsic to Elemental tomorrow

Things are going to get more exciting quite quickly. I've already switched off +ML.

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Post by lotsofphil » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:18 am

The only thing I can think of is to get some black hearts if you don't have a stockpile.
http://kol.coldfront.net/thekolwiki/ind ... lack_heart

For festering powder purposes they are as good as PYECs and just take a turn to get, but you can only get one per day.

Creelie
Inscrutable Pi

Post by Creelie » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:12 pm

Hmm. I don't have the IOTM to generate those. Are they available for loan or anything? Or is the kit effectively BOE?

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Post by lotsofphil » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:08 am

Creelie wrote:Hmm. I don't have the IOTM to generate those. Are they available for loan or anything? Or is the kit effectively BOE?
You can buy a one-time use thing... http://kol.coldfront.net/thekolwiki/ind ... Vampire%29

It's like the fangs version of a one-day Spring Break ticket. But for one turn. Not sure if you can use more than one in a day.

Creelie
Inscrutable Pi

Post by Creelie » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:54 pm

About 120 turns left on this dive! I'll be breaking out the queen cookies tomorrow!

I've been stockpiling for a telescope for quite some time now. I have hundreds of reagents, a navel ring, 160 queen cookies, way more gear than I can actually equip, a few hundred divines and love songs, and so on and so forth. I don't have any shortcuts around the festering powder, and wish I'd known about black hearts. This run I'm pretty much brute-forcing it with MMJ, with supplementation from my Grill and Weaksaucegeyser. I need to decide if I want to take that route in future or go with Jumbo Dr. Lucifers. I have 1 more dive to decide; my next one will be Pastamancer so I'll still have MMJ access.

What I do need to work out this run is how many reagent potions I need to get through 5 dives as a non-Sauceror (1 for each level 30 class trophy). It's 1/3 the price to cook those potions now as a Sauceror. Sadly I have failed to keep an accurate tally of my potion usage. I've been applying buffs manually as needed for tests, which is slightly cheaper but much MUCH slower. After my nightcap I extended all the buffs I was wearing forward 120 turns, and will do the same for any other buffs I have to add tomorrow. In the future I will do this with each potion the first time I need it.

One option would be to do my 2nd dive as a Pastamancer (I really want the Hateful chefstaff and Spirit of Rigatoni) tracking usage carefully - my stockpile is definitely big enough to get through a single non-SA dive. Then with that data on hand, make my 3rd dive my 2nd Sauceror dive, and cook for the remaining 4.

OR, I could just make a pile of potions so big that I know I'll have extra, and sell off all my surplus when I'm finished. That might be the least fiddly option.

Notes to future self:
-before buffing up, arena parrot to 20 lbs
-if wanting to use basement to squarely hit level 30, start at level 27 (fight scaling monsters for last little bit). When not going for 30, start at 23.

top1214
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by top1214 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:42 pm

SC dives are also really easy, as you just take a couple of days to level up.

Creelie
Inscrutable Pi

Post by Creelie » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:34 pm

[22:22] Creelie: This is it!
You acquire an item: Discount Telescope Warehouse gift certificate

You drop the order form in a mailbox in Seaside Town, and see a bolt of light whoosh across the sky over your head, toward your campsite. When you head back, there's a shiny new telescope there!
That was . . . way less work than I had built it up to be.

Now to smack around some Diner food until I get me a Sauceror trophy!

Next run should probably be Pastamancer. Oxy for plexi, or S&S for karma? Hmmm. I want to get the plexi suit under my belt, so I think I'll just go ahead and get it done. And then next I am going to do HCO Sauceror for the plexi reward which is another +3 prismatic resistance accessory - useful for non-myst classes.

Creelie
Inscrutable Pi

Post by Creelie » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:50 am

Update: I've started my second telescope dive. This time I am doing it in Mafia, to test out autobasement.ash and to track resources consumed. I have told the script it is allowed to use Dr. Lucifers, buff food, and wads as needed, and to dress for spell damage in combat, and am otherwise letting it just run.

Starting as a level 27 Pastamancer, so far the script has consumed:
-2 sugar sheet
-3 divine can of silly string
-1 finger cuffs
-1 Knob Goblin seltzer
-1 magical mystery juice
-55 soda water

The script crapped out at basement level 153, saying it needed me to let it buy more expensive potions. It won't use things I already have? Ridiculous. Since I am no programmer, figuring out how to fix this would be more work and aggravation than manually basementing, so I'll take over from here.

I first needed a potion just past level 200 - I decided to start with equalizing oil and just buff through to the end - not the cheapest option, but a nice fast one. I'll do the same with the rest, and round in a little padding for planning purposes.

-30 oil potions (floor 200)
-25 x 2 100% offstat potions (floor 250) - tomato juice should have come first though. D'oh!
-25 tomato potions (floor 300 but should have been used first at floor 250)
-6 queen cookies (floor 320)
-various expensive/limited-quantity potions to squeak through last few levels.

This record is mainly to assist with planning cooking enough potions to last all the way through the remaining dives the next time I do a SA run - which should be very shortly.