Beers

Like the title says, anything and everything else goes here. As long as it follows the forum rules.

Moderator: Raccoon

zombiepops
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by zombiepops » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:00 am

Lately, in contrast to my usual Guinness, I've really been enjoying Kona's fire rock pale ale. I don't usually like lighter beers (hence my preference for Guinness), but for some reason, I really like this one. Kona's seasonal porter is nice too, and their lager isn't bad either.

preniqueezer
AFH

Post by preniqueezer » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:39 pm

Last night I earned a brick at my favorite local pub. Drink 100 different beers (keep track on a snazzy card they give you) and they'll paint a name/logo/whatever for you on one of the bricks on their wall.

I'm not sure what to get. My wife suggested I try to advertise Twilight Heroes.com, my brother in law suggested the autobot logo and my name. I'm thinking maybe a sword and martini guy, except with a beer mug, or something. Think Jick would mind?

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:10 pm

preniqueezer wrote:Think Jick would mind?
Almost certainly not. /msg radiobugbear anyway, if you really want to know.

feng shweez
Inscrutable Pi

Post by feng shweez » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:42 am

I went on a west coast tour for the last ten days.

I had some beers.

Thoughts:

Bridgeport Brewery (OR) - Did a tasting. Standard fare Brewpub stuff. Their E.S.B. was their best work. Everything had just a twinge of a aftertaste of which I wasn't a fan. I imagine they use the same hops for all their beer and that I am probably just not crazy about their particular strain or blend.

Deschutes Brewery (OR) - Did a tasting here too. Also standard fare brewpub stuff, but I thought they outdid pretty much everything Bridgeport had. Should I move to Portland, OR (a distinct possibility in 18 months) this will likely be my local brewery of choice.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (WI) - I completed the "triple double" for national corndog day: 10 corndogs, 100 t8r tots, and 10 PBR. Truly a beer of the Gods. (The best macrobrew super-budget American Lager, in my opinion.)

Anderson Valley's Boondt Amber Ale (CA) - A very subtle, smooth Amber. A perfect Session Ale, if you're the sort of pretentious jerk who uses the term "Session Ale." You may want an Amber with a bit more heft, though. On a personal note, I went out of my way to Anderson Valley's brewery in Bumfuck, CA, and it was tragically closed on Tuesday and Wednesdays. It made me a sad Feng.

El Toro's Poppy Jasper Amber Ale (CA) - Pretty good. A bit more exciting than Anderson Valley's Amber, but not as smoothly delicious.

Lost Coast's Great White Shark (CA) - Perhaps the most boring and flat wheat beer I've ever had. I'd pass this one over for Blue Moon, for sure.

Kona's Pipeline Porter (HI) - Among the most delicious Porters I've ever had. A coffee porter, but they didn't overdo it. The best beer of the trip.

Delirium Tremens (Belgium) - Pretty good Belgian, but I wasn't blown away. Rather overpriced more than anything, honestly.

I had other beers as well. There was a decent Pilsner in Seattle. I probably had had some Fat Tire, but if I did I don't remember it (it was on tap everywhere). There were several Belgians at a Belgian/dive bar in Seattle, but I don't remember their names, or what I thought of them. Several more beers in San Francisco, none of which I can recall.

All in all, quite a successful tour, considering that beer was not the primary objective.
[url=http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/9392/nootrosforumslk9.gif][img]http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/9392/nootrosforumslk9.gif[/img][/url]

Mad Hamish
AFH

Post by Mad Hamish » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:49 am

These days, all I drink is whiskey.
Hi-keebated again? No way!

Ramsay
Pie of the Sky

Post by Ramsay » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:58 pm

feng shweez wrote: A perfect Session Ale, if you're the sort of pretentious jerk who uses the term "Session Ale."
Just wondering what's so pretentious about the term? I've used it myself when describing Caledonian Deuchar's IPA, one of our many so-called IPAs. It's a pleasant, hoppy beer, but at only 3.8% alcohol (for the draught version) is far too weak to be what I'd call a "proper" IPA. However, I would say it's a good session beer, though.

In other news, I really must visit Portland, OR sometime to try the beer (I've done the brewpubs in Portland, ME :).) Is the brewers festival at the end of July (which is around my birthday) a good time to visit, or should I go at a quieter time of year? (Not that I'm in any rush to go this year - should have gone a couple of years ago when the exchange rate was 2 USD to the UKP. Can't have everything though...)

Aruwen
Pie of the Sky

Post by Aruwen » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:57 pm

Stiegl, local brew, famous in austria and winning contests europewide. and i grew up rite next to the brewery.

oh those old memories of summer as a kid with that distinct hop smell all over the place :D

dvmaprezson
Fie the Pie

Post by dvmaprezson » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:23 am

If any of y'all ever have a chance to check out an Iron Hill in the philly area, do it.

Their belgians are amazing. I prefer the Tripel. 9.5% alc, and it's damn tasty.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/dvmaprezson/AFHV2.gif[/img]

Mrs Trout
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by Mrs Trout » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:33 am

Check Polygamy Porter, with the great slogan "Why have just one?"

http://www.utahbeers.com/polygamy.html

Best slogan/name combo ever.

Kirkpatrick
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by Kirkpatrick » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:16 pm

Polygamy Porter is awesome in concept, though I can't say about their taste! My dad doesn't even drink and he has one of their labels in his office for the humour value :)

Mrs Trout
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by Mrs Trout » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:32 am

yea I suppose with that good marketing the taste doesn't even matter.

p4n1q
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by p4n1q » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:40 pm

Image is the only product anyway.

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Re: Beers

Post by Eigenbasis » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:14 pm

Monk in the Trunk - an organic amber ale brewed in Jupiter, FL. They only distribute to South and Central Florida. It was smooth and filling and a bit on the sweet and nutty side. It wouldn't knock your socks off but it would give you a nice warm, fuzzy feeling.
"Have you ever heard the expression, ‘When life gives you lemons, make lemonade, and then throw it in the face of the person who gave you the lemons until they give you the oranges you originally asked for?’"

preniqueezer
AFH

Post by preniqueezer » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:16 pm

Tried the Ska snowdown beer (a midwinter festival we have in town here) called "Hyper Fierce Gnar Gnar Hefe" (yeah, don't ask me ... this year's theme is "the beach").

Descriptive link here: http://www.beernbikes.com/2010/01/04/sk ... gnar-hefe/

Basically, a hefeweisen with pineapple and coconut. I couldn't really taste the pineapple (perhaps because I was drinking it with food) but the coconut came through as a surprisingly enjoyable toasty nutty aftertaste. Since hefe's are sweet and tangy anyway, the addition of a sweet and tangy backdrop worked pretty well for me. Far better than I expected. Would drink again.

Turtle Juice
Inscrutable Pi

Post by Turtle Juice » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:03 pm

My new favorite beer, brewed right here in Minnesota.

http://www.surlybrewing.com/

The Surly Furious is just incredible. I love that it comes in pint cans.

In fact, I think I'll pick up a few on my way home...

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:50 pm

My current favorite is Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA. It's like a hop explosion! For some reason it makes me a bit queazy on a full stomach, though, so I'll be more careful next time.
"Have you ever heard the expression, ‘When life gives you lemons, make lemonade, and then throw it in the face of the person who gave you the lemons until they give you the oranges you originally asked for?’"

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Manendra » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:19 pm

I had New Belgium's La Folie at a brew pub here. Very interesting beer, unlike anything I had ever had. Very sour, but tons of great flavors.

Turtle Juice
Inscrutable Pi

Post by Turtle Juice » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:17 pm

Manendra wrote:I had New Belgium's La Folie at a brew pub here. Very interesting beer, unlike anything I had ever had. Very sour, but tons of great flavors.
I just drank a New Belgium "Mighty Arrow" Pale Ale with my Chipotle burrito ... tasty! Their Hoptober is good as well - if you like the 'hoppy' taste. Oh yeah, their Black Ale is good as well.

I love beer!

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Manendra » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:13 pm

Yeah, that Hoptober is fantastic.

Palpitations
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by Palpitations » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:30 am

My selection here is usually pretty limited, so I tend to grab New Belgium Abbey Ale when I'm looking for a six-pack...

There are a few Unibroue selections that I can grab nearby as well. La Fin du Monde is pretty great. Maudite and Trois Pistoles will do in a pinch. I really have a thing for trippels, though.

Dogfish Head puts out a few great brews. My girlfriend and I love to share a bottle of Fort with dessert. I just tried out the Dogfish Head World Wide Stout tonight... It really reminds me of a very creamy whiskey, with just a hint of caramel and banana. If that's your thing, I'd highly recommend it. Either way, Fort and World Wide Stout are both 18% beers, so they're bound to knock you on your ass one way or another.

Rogue also puts out some great beers. The Soba ale that they put out with Morimoto is delicious. Victory puts out some great stuff as well - for a long time I hated beer, and V12 was what convinced me to give it a try. I'd say the same thing for Avery - you can't really go wrong there.

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Manendra » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:33 am

Rogue does indeed make some great beers. Plus, there's just something fun about walking up to a bar and saying "I'll have 2 dead guys."

Jaelith
Pie in the Sky

Post by Jaelith » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:34 pm

The Ninkasi brewery can't get enough compliments from me lately. The Tricerahops and Total Domination IPAs are both awesome (not to mention well-named). If only they were on tap everywhere...

preniqueezer
AFH

Post by preniqueezer » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:22 pm

Wow. If I liked IPAs I'd be all over Tricerahops in a second. That may be one of the best beer names ever.

I find myself consistently coming back to Unibroue and Trois Pistoles as one of my favorite beers. I pretty aggressively try to search out new beers, but every time I get in the mood to have something I know will be delicious, satisfying, and make me pleasantly drunk, Trois Pistoles is what I choose nearly every time. Tried to buy some last night and then accidentally grabbed Don De Dieu by mistake. Funny thing is I didn't notice until the third beer. Silly Preniqueezer...

Manendra, if you liked La Folie, there are a few other sour beers out there. Can be hard to find, but my wife searches them out like prize possessions. One of her favorites is Duchesse Du Bourgogne. It's a little less sour, a little more sweet and raisiny/pruny. It's not quite for me, but my wife loves it.

I really, really miss living in Fort Collins and being able to wander over to the New Belgium brewery for a free tasting whenever the mood struck. Probably my favorite beer ever was a limited release cherry sweet/sour beer called Transatlantique. Sold for $10 for a 4-pack, and it was worth every penny. Oddly, long after it left the shelves I got a few glasses from one of the very last kegs in existence. It was positioned in an underground grotto in the back yard of a random party I crashed at the invitation of a friend one Halloween. Even weirder, I think the guy who owned the house was a brother of a co-worker at the time. Even weirder, I think the owner had the same first name I had, and it's not a particularly common first name. T'was a very strange and magical evening, on a lot of levels.

Suendenbock
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Suendenbock » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:46 pm

preniqueezer wrote:Oddly, long after it left the shelves I got a few glasses from one of the very last kegs in existence. It was positioned in an underground grotto in the back yard of a random party I crashed at the invitation of a friend one Halloween. Even weirder, I think the guy who owned the house was a brother of a co-worker at the time. Even weirder, I think the owner had the same first name I had, and it's not a particularly common first name. T'was a very strange and magical evening, on a lot of levels.
Are you sure this evening actually happened? =P

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Manendra » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:01 pm

preniqueezer wrote:Wow. If I liked IPAs I'd be all over Tricerahops in a second. That may be one of the best beer names ever.

I find myself consistently coming back to Unibroue and Trois Pistoles as one of my favorite beers. I pretty aggressively try to search out new beers, but every time I get in the mood to have something I know will be delicious, satisfying, and make me pleasantly drunk, Trois Pistoles is what I choose nearly every time. Tried to buy some last night and then accidentally grabbed Don De Dieu by mistake. Funny thing is I didn't notice until the third beer. Silly Preniqueezer...

Manendra, if you liked La Folie, there are a few other sour beers out there. Can be hard to find, but my wife searches them out like prize possessions. One of her favorites is Duchesse Du Bourgogne. It's a little less sour, a little more sweet and raisiny/pruny. It's not quite for me, but my wife loves it.

I really, really miss living in Fort Collins and being able to wander over to the New Belgium brewery for a free tasting whenever the mood struck. Probably my favorite beer ever was a limited release cherry sweet/sour beer called Transatlantique. Sold for $10 for a 4-pack, and it was worth every penny. Oddly, long after it left the shelves I got a few glasses from one of the very last kegs in existence. It was positioned in an underground grotto in the back yard of a random party I crashed at the invitation of a friend one Halloween. Even weirder, I think the guy who owned the house was a brother of a co-worker at the time. Even weirder, I think the owner had the same first name I had, and it's not a particularly common first name. T'was a very strange and magical evening, on a lot of levels.
I have comments to make on basically everything you've said. :P Let's get started!

I understand what you're saying about trying new beers, but falling back on standards. When I'm at a place with a bunch of taps, I'll sometimes start trying random things, and I love trying new beers... But on many nights out, I just go for what I know I will like. It's the reason I've probably had hundreds of Summit EPAs since moving up here. It's the reason my fridge in college always had some Goose Island Honker's Ale, and why my fridge now nearly always has Bell's Two-Hearted or Summit Horizon red. (Can you tell I like a flavorful ale with a healthy dose of hops?)

Hm, I may have to try that Duchess... I'm always a fan of odd-tasting beers. Well, usually.

My brother's Wireless network is named "Transatlantique" in honor of that beer. I would say you should try New Glarus' Wisconsin Belgian Red, but New Glarus is basically impossible to get outside of Wisconsin. As a side note, this weekend, as my brother and I drove back from a funeral in Door County, home of the cherries for Wisconsin Belgian Red, we searched out a liquor store in Wausau so that we could find some good New Glarus to bring back. As a result, I have a couple bottles of their Raspberry Tart in my fridge, and my brother has a bunch of stuff in his, as well. Funerals suck, but you can't let an opportunity to pick up some New Glarus go to waste.

preniqueezer
AFH

Post by preniqueezer » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:53 pm

Manendra wrote:I would say you should try New Glarus' Wisconsin Belgian Red, but New Glarus is basically impossible to get outside of Wisconsin.
As luck would have it, I'll be visiting Wisconsin this summer for a wedding. Hopefully supplies will hold out that long.

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:41 am

Here are a few beers I've tried recently.

Victory HopDevil IPA - if you like bitter IPAs than you'll love this. I had it on tap last night. Pours a deep copper color and has a strong hop flavor with hints of pine. It's 6.9% ABV but the alcohol is completely masked.

Magic Hat #9 - nobody seems to know what to classify this as. They say they're a "not quite pale ale". It's rather light tasting with a bit of an apricot taste - reminds me of summer beers and wheat beers. Overall it's just decent - I'd drink it if someone bought it for me but I'd never buy it for myself.

Hoegaarden - a Belgian witbier/wheat beer. Tastes kind of like Blue Moon except better in every way. It's really citrusy with hints of different spices. Fairly light and highly drinkable.

Troeg's Nugget Nectar - my new favorite beer. It's an American amber ale with bitterness like an IPA, but not too much. It's so citrusy and fruity and delicious and smooth.

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Manendra » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:02 pm

Hoegaarden is great stuff. My brother had a Magic Hat something or other last night and hated it. Glad I stuck to Bells Two-Hearted.

Mr_Crac
Spy vs. Pie

Post by Mr_Crac » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:33 am

Heh, that's a cool sig.

williabr
Spy vs. Pie

Post by williabr » Sun May 02, 2010 10:00 am

Eigenbasis wrote:Troeg's Nugget Nectar - my new favorite beer. It's an American amber ale with bitterness like an IPA, but not too much. It's so citrusy and fruity and delicious and smooth.
I just recently had that beer and thought it was fantastic. They don't distribute here to either KY or OH, but I've become good friends with the buyers at a couple of the cities bigger booze stores and he randomly gave it to me the other day.

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Sun May 02, 2010 10:11 pm

More beers!

I picked up a Saranac sampler pack, which contained 6 different beers: Black and Tan was my favorite, but I already like their Irish stout. The Adirondack Lager was solid, and the Black Forest (a schwarzbier) was good too. The Pale Ale, Brown Ale, and IPA were all fairly weak, IMO. The Pale Ale and IPA were too sweet and not hoppy enough, and the Brown Ale was just strange.

I also got a 6 pack of Great Lakes' Edmund Fitzgerald Porter, which was excellent. Coffee is the predominant flavor, with a hint of smokiness and a decently bitter, refreshing finish.

Omri
AFH

Post by Omri » Mon May 03, 2010 3:24 pm

A few months ago, a friend of mine introduced me to Rogue beers, and even though I typically don't like bitter beers, my new favorite beer is Rogue Brutal Bitter. It's ridiculously expensive though - $13 for a 6-pack.

Jaelith
Pie in the Sky

Post by Jaelith » Tue May 04, 2010 12:46 am

preniqueezer wrote:I really, really miss living in Fort Collins and being able to wander over to the New Belgium brewery for a free tasting whenever the mood struck.
I'm visiting Fort Collins for two days of beer AT THIS VERY MOMENT. Had the CooperSmith Sigda lager, brewed with Anaheim and Serrano chiles, tonight. Little bit weird to be drinking something cool and spicy and carbonated, but... So. Good. The boyfriend tried two of their IPAs, but they were not nearly assertively hoppy enough for our tastes. In the end the chile lager was the clear winner.

Going to New Belgium tomorrow or the day after, but that Sigda is going to be hard to beat.

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Manendra » Tue May 04, 2010 9:30 am

Speaking of Fort Collins, I actually attended the ceremonial tapping of the first Odell Brewing keg in the Twin Cities last night. Free pint of 90 shilling, bagpipes, what more could a guy want?

Anyone ever had anything from Surly Brewing? They're a local microbrewery, I'm not sure how much they distribute outside MN. Actually, right now they don't distribute outside the Twin Cities, because they're nearly out of beer. But it sounds like they sell in the neighboring states. Anyway, they make some really good shit.
Omri wrote:A few months ago, a friend of mine introduced me to Rogue beers, and even though I typically don't like bitter beers, my new favorite beer is Rogue Brutal Bitter. It's ridiculously expensive though - $13 for a 6-pack.
Rogue Dead Guy is solid stuff. And there's just something about walking up to a bar and ordering "two dead guys, please" that makes me laugh every time. :P

preniqueezer
AFH

Post by preniqueezer » Tue May 04, 2010 7:26 pm

Jaelith wrote:Going to New Belgium tomorrow or the day after, but that Sigda is going to be hard to beat.
Aw, I'm jealous! I really loved Coopersmith's -- not just the beer, but the food, too. The green chile beer was one of my favorites. It's pretty good with some tomato juice or mary mix if you can get past the weirdness of a bloody beer.

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:07 pm

I picked up a couple beers today, a 6 pack of Stone IPA (which I haven't tried yet), and a 4-pack of La Fin Du Monde, a Belgian-style Tripel from Canada. Super reasonable price, only $9 for a 4-pack, and it's rated as the best Tripel in the world right now on Beer Advocate. Anyways, I tried La Fin Du Monde and it was quite good. I'd recommend it, especially if the price is right.

I haven't seen any Surly beers yet, but I'll keep my eyes peeled for their Furious IPA, because I hear that's really good.

preniqueezer
AFH

Post by preniqueezer » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:00 am

Eigenbasis wrote:f La Fin Du Monde, a Belgian-style Tripel from Canada. Super reasonable price, only $9 for a 4-pack, and it's rated as the best Tripel in the world right now on Beer Advocate. Anyways, I tried La Fin Du Monde and it was quite good. I'd recommend it, especially if the price is right.
Unibroue makes some fantastic beers all around. I think I've talked them up a few times in this very thread. Trois Pistoles being my personal favorite.

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:16 pm

Hah, you're right. I guess I should have Control+F'd the thread before posting. Trois Pistoles sounds good but the 750-ml bottle discourages me from buying it, unless I can go halfsies with someone.

preniqueezer
AFH

Post by preniqueezer » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:49 am

I've always bought it in a 4-pack, just like the other ones. Maybe check another store?

And Unibroue is good enough it's worth multiple mentions.

Omri
AFH

Post by Omri » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:19 am

I just recently bought the equipment to start homebrewing, and I've got an Oatmeal Stout fermenting right now. Hopefully with some practice my favorite beers will be the ones I make myself ;)

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:09 am

What's your setup? I've been wanting to start homebrewing with some of my friends, but they're lazy and will be leaving college soon anyways.

Omri
AFH

Post by Omri » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:50 pm

I just bought an equipment kit from Midwest Supplies online (the brewing starter kit), bought a recipe kit and an awesome book (How to Brew by Palmer), and did a lot of reading and just kinda dove in.

NardoLoopa
Market Manipulator

Post by NardoLoopa » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:23 pm

I was out in Chicago recently. Tried some Goose Island 312 on draft. Odd dry taste and very light wheat. It was excellent. In the bottle it's _okay_. But on draft it was exceptional.

Omri
AFH

Post by Omri » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:53 pm

I was just in Chicago! I saw 312 a lot, but didn't try it. I've had Goose's Honker's Ale before (draft, that is), and liked it, so I mostly stuck to that.

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:21 pm

I'd really like to try Goose Island's Bourbon County Brand Stout. I've seen some of their other beers in the supermarket. Do they distribute the stout as far east as upstate NY?

Oh, and I'm surprised at the (low) price on that brewing kit. I might get it if I can convince my roommate to go halvesies or something.

preniqueezer
AFH

Post by preniqueezer » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:42 pm

Yeah, homebrew's not too expensive. Besides the kit, you can usually get by on $30 to $40 per batch (5 gallons, turns out to be ~55 twelve-ounce bottles), which is also pretty economical. On a not-so-great batch you can justify drinking inferior beer because it's less than a dollar per bottle. If you have a really good batch that you made yourself, well, you can't put any price on that.

Most of the gear is re-usable, other than bottlecaps, assuming you bottle, and the sanitizer. Neither of those costs much. Of course if you get into it there's often a temptation to upgrade or try slightly different variations of the fancy toys, but any hobby is like that.

Omri
AFH

Post by Omri » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:52 pm

The cheaper kit is like $60, or you could save $10 off the kit I listed by getting a similar one with a better bottle instead of a glass carboy. The $60 kit essentially lacks the equipment you need to do 2-stage fermentation (which is necessary for lagers or ales that have a high original gravity like stouts and porters). If you'll mostly be doing pale ales and such, the $60 kit will be fine. Besides the kit, I ended up buying a floating thermometer (which isn't included, and I highly recommend it), and StarSan sanitizer. And as mentioned before, the price of beer that you make at around 50-60 cents a bottle ends up making the initial investment very worthwhile if you end up brewing a lot.

And I have no idea about Goose Island's distribution.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:33 am

This sounds fun. I think I'll give it a try after I move (I don't want to buy anything if I know I'm leaving in a month).

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:03 pm

Can I brew beer in the summer? I don't have AC and it's usually 78-85 degrees in my apartment.

Alrik
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Alrik » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:13 pm

Eigenbasis wrote:Can I brew beer in the summer? I don't have AC and it's usually 78-85 degrees in my apartment.
I think that's a bit too warm, but it'll depend on what strain of yeast you use. Most ale yeast strains top out at 75 degrees F. Above that, they'll be stressed, and stressed yeasts generate esters. You'll end up with beer that has a strong banana aroma and flavor.

If you want to try it anyway, make sure to pick a beer style that uses ester production as part of its flavor style and select a yeast strain with low ester production and high tolerance to heat. Some of the Belgian style yeasts may fit the bill.

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Manendra » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:56 pm

I'm not sure how far east Goose Island gets, but I could buy it in Ohio. No idea about NY.

Yeah, 312 is ok... I'm not a huge fan, but goddamn I love me some Honker's (got a bunch in my fridge at the moment). And the Bourbon County Stout is really strong. I had a sample of it, and yow. If you like bourbon, you'll like it. But its not something that's easy to drink, that's for sure.

I was at the Goose Island brew pub in Wrigleyville a few days back. Love me some Goose Island.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:29 pm

I wonder if there are any stores near me with a non-shitty selection of booze. It's a good thing I like Newcastle so much, since the grocery stores here don't have much else that's good.

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:54 pm

Stu, you're in Cali, so you should probably have a BevMo nearby. They have pretty much everything that could possibly get distributed to CA.

Oh and Stu, did you know about the Newcastle promotion they have going on? Mail in 6 bottlecaps and get a free Newcastle glass. You don't even have to pay shipping. (Actually, in CA you can print out 'virtual' bottle caps and mail those instead).

Warning, pdf:
http://newcastlebrown.com/your_glass/docs/caps.pdf

As for me, I picked up a bomber of Southern Tier's Oak Aged Unearthly DIPA which I'll save for a rainy day, plus a sixer of HopBack since all Troeg's beers were on sale for $9 for 6 at Wegman's, whoohoo! And I got a Chimay chalice there too! Life is good.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:07 pm

SWEET. Thanks Eigen.

And yeah, there are bevmos in the area, but the nearest one isn't THAT close. It'll be a lot closer to my new place, which is nice.

Pantsless
Fie the Pie

Post by Pantsless » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:59 am

Manendra wrote:I'm not sure how far east Goose Island gets, but I could buy it in Ohio. No idea about NY.
I was at the Goose Island brew pub in Wrigleyville a few days back. Love me some Goose Island.
Goose Island also makes a damn fine root beer. Around here you can order it at Famous Dave's; not sure if that's a regional menu item or not.

(There seem to be a few regional breweries that make tasty root beers; another good one I know of is Sprechers. They also have a really tasty cherry soda.)

curiosity
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by curiosity » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:56 pm

This isn't related to home-brewing, but I'm going to be in the Czech republic for a while in the near future. Aside from Pilsners, is there any other beer / booze in general I need to try?

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:12 pm

All of them.

Suendenbock
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Suendenbock » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:22 pm

curiosity wrote:This isn't related to home-brewing, but I'm going to be in the Czech republic for a while in the near future. Aside from Pilsners, is there any other beer / booze in general I need to try?
sample as much as you can and your wallet will allow you to do =D

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:35 pm

I've been really digging Saisons lately. They're a Belgian farmhouse style ale. Yeah, they're a late spring/early summer beer, but so what. Ithaca Ground Break was great, as was Ommegang's Hennepin. I also like that they come in 12oz bottles (though I had Ground Break on tap). Some others like Saison DuPont or Brooklyn's Sirachi Ace only come in 750 ml bottles.

williabr
Spy vs. Pie

Post by williabr » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:59 pm

Eigenbasis wrote:I'd really like to try Goose Island's Bourbon County Brand Stout.
This stuff is super delicious. I have a good supply of it aging in my cellar. They also made a boubon county coffee stout, which was incredible as well. I've also been led to believe that they are doing a Bourbon County Vanilla Stout sometime in the very near future, which I'm definitely hoping to try soon.

I'm actually getting ready to move from Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky to San Francisco here in about 2 months, so if anybody knows any good West Coast beers that don't distribute too far to the east, I would love to hear about them. I want to be prepared for the move.

preniqueezer
AFH

Post by preniqueezer » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:20 pm

I just saw (but didn't buy) the Goose Island Bourbon Country Stout in the store this evening. The local place had a stand announcing they'd just picked up the brand. It was also $12, which seemed steep for a 22-ounce bottle. I'll probably try it once, though.

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:51 am

DO WANT. That's a fine price, actually. You can get a half-decent bottle of wine for $12, or a world-class beer for the same price... no-brainer to me. 8-)

This Saturday: Ithaca BrewFest! I'll be there! 45 breweries! 3 bands! Can't wait!

Omri
AFH

Post by Omri » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:35 pm

Oh man, I went yesterday to drop off my sister at college at Ohio University in Athens, Ohio, and there's a pub there with some fantastic beers. I had an "India Oatmeal Rye Stout made with bacon." I was iffy about making beer with bacon, but it was a fantastic beer, and I ended up buying a growler.

I tried a couple more of their beers, as well as Goose Island Matilda, which was very good.

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:02 pm

Was it Jackie O's? It's a good thing there's good beer in Athens because there's nothing else to do there.

Omri
AFH

Post by Omri » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:35 pm

thacon wrote:Was it Jackie O's? It's a good thing there's good beer in Athens because there's nothing else to do there.
Indeed it was. And that's what I've heard. Glad I didn't go to school there.

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Manendra » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:15 pm

How did I miss all the Goose Island discussion? Bourbon County Stout is worth the $12. It's got as much alcohol as wine, so no problem paying that much. It is delicious. I haven't seen the Bourbon County Coffee Stout. If I see it, I will be unable to resist, it sounds incredible. (I do love me some Surly Coffee Bender.)

And yes, Matilda is one of my favorites. One of my favorite memories of Wrigleyville was going to a bar that included Matilda in the "$3 local beers" special. We drank a lot of it that night. Great stuff.

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:07 am

If you want to see my beer reviews, now you can! Right here!

I've gotten into the habit of buying only beers that are around B+ or better on BeerAdvocate, which is fine because that's still way too many beers for me to try for a long time.

Out right now: Oktoberfests! Pumpkin beers! Sly Fox Oktoberfest is good, and I hear Brooklyn and Great Lakes both make good ones as well. Ayinger does too (they're German) and they probably distribute all over the US. As far as pumpkin beers, if you want the ultimate pumpkin experience, that would be Southern Tier Pumking. It tastes like liquid pumpkin pie; really rich and sweet. Split it with a friend or two.

Roippi
Pie of the Sky

Post by Roippi » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:37 pm

I'm up in the northeast, so there's a bunch of great local options. My favorite is berskshire brewing company (BBC); their steel rail pale ale is probably my favorite overall beer. Seriously. Try it. Also a big fan of most of Magic Hat's products.

Intensely bummed that New Belgium doesn't distribute up here in the northeast. Fat Tire is outstanding.

top1214
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by top1214 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:28 pm

I think I like their 1554 better. Maybe I just like beers w/numbers (Schlalfy No. 15!).

Roippi
Pie of the Sky

Post by Roippi » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:43 pm

I grew up in STL so I'm contractually obligated to like Schlafly. It's good stuff.