Beers

Like the title says, anything and everything else goes here. As long as it follows the forum rules.

Moderator: Raccoon

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Re: Beers

Post by Eigenbasis » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:23 am

If you're in the northeast there's a lot of stuff you'll probably like more than Magic Hat, IMo. Try stuff from Troeg's, Victory, Sly Fox, Southern Tier, Ithaca, Ommegang, Smuttynose, Great Lakes...
"Have you ever heard the expression, ‘When life gives you lemons, make lemonade, and then throw it in the face of the person who gave you the lemons until they give you the oranges you originally asked for?’"

top1214
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by top1214 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:46 am

I'm going to miss it when I move away.

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Manendra » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:34 pm

So there's now a 4square for beer! I just joined recently. You check in which beer you're drinking and it keeps track and you earn badges and such. Kinda silly, but fun!

NardoLoopa
Market Manipulator

Post by NardoLoopa » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:32 pm

Not sure how much heat I'm going to get by declaring a favorite beer that only comes in a can but here goes:

Oskar Blues: Mamma's Little Yella Pils

Just found this over the summer -- delicious.

Also of note: Shiner 101 & "2 Below" from New Belgium.

Omri
AFH

Post by Omri » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:21 pm

Just picked up some GLBC Christmas Ale, and it's rather enjoyable :)

Also, brought some Chimay White to a party and I love that stuff. I get to feel classy drinking it out of a wine glass too :P
Last edited by Omri on Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:04 pm

I assume you mean White? (They make red, blue, and white).
"Have you ever heard the expression, ‘When life gives you lemons, make lemonade, and then throw it in the face of the person who gave you the lemons until they give you the oranges you originally asked for?’"

Omri
AFH

Post by Omri » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:12 am

Eigenbasis wrote:I assume you mean White? (They make red, blue, and white).
I guess I do. I must have remembered it wrong. Post edited :P

Jaelith
Pie in the Sky

Post by Jaelith » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:23 am

Manendra wrote:So there's now a 4square for beer! I just joined recently. You check in which beer you're drinking and it keeps track and you earn badges and such. Kinda silly, but fun!
I'm being highly amused by this. Particularly when I get to add new beers to the list (like Sculler's IPA out of Skagit River Brewery, which is awesome in the way only a beer with a Jolly Roger on the label can be).

zombiepops
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by zombiepops » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:16 am

Jaelith wrote:I'm being highly amused by this. Particularly when I get to add new beers to the list (like Sculler's IPA out of Skagit River Brewery, which is awesome in the way only a beer with a Jolly Roger on the label can be).
have you tried any of heavy seas mutiny fleet beers? the smoked porter is pretty good and all of them have a Jolly Roger on it.
I'm brainy for Zombiepops!

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Manendra » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:42 pm

NardoLoopa wrote:Not sure how much heat I'm going to get by declaring a favorite beer that only comes in a can but here goes:

Oskar Blues: Mamma's Little Yella Pils

Just found this over the summer -- delicious.

Also of note: Shiner 101 & "2 Below" from New Belgium.
Nothing wrong with cans. One of my favorite local brewers sells all their major beers in cans only. Some of their specialty beers come in 750ml bottles, but that's it. And yeah, 2 below is delicious.

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:00 pm

Sly Fox is another great brewery that cans their beers.

snarkypants
Contest Master of Heck

Post by snarkypants » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:40 am

Great Lakes is fantastic. I feel bad that I didn't get down to the main brewery as often as I should have when I lived in Cleveland; some of their draft-and-growler-only concoctions were just incredibly good.

I've got a bottle of Rare Vos sitting on my sideboard, but it's just not the same.

Turtle Juice
Inscrutable Pi

Post by Turtle Juice » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:52 am

The best stout I have ever had. Thick, dark, delicious.

Surly - Darkness (a Russian Imperial Stout)

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/13014/33127

NardoLoopa
Market Manipulator

Post by NardoLoopa » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:33 am

Growlers: I tried a friend's growler a few weeks ago. I was pretty disappointed in the results -- but I'd like to know if they are typical.

I got a growler of a pilsner at 3pm. Went home and drank about 4 pints myself into the evening. The first two pours w/in 2hrs were delicious and exactly what I'd want. After that, though, the carbonation took a real hit. My 4th pint, about 6hrs later was flat. If this were a cask-beer that'd be fine, or maybe an English pub ale it would be good. But as a pilsner it didn't quite work flat.

So, after terribly limited experience it looks like a growler is only good if you're having people over who all like that kind of beer -- where you can go through the whole thing in 2hrs. Where really, I'd like to solo the growler for the weekend; that would make it worth it to me.

The other problem is that while it's a 4/5 price fill-up, it's still 4/5 pub prices, which makes it still almost double a bottle price.

Can anyone convince me I'm wrong -- I'd love to love the growler.

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:17 pm

Err, in my experience growlers retain their carbonation for up to 24 hours after opening, and can keep for close to a week unopened. It's the same concept as a 2 liter bottle of soda, really.

You should refrigerate the growler as soon as you get home. Also, don't wash them out with soap. Only wash them out with lots of water, and right after you finish them.

Roippi
Pie of the Sky

Post by Roippi » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:18 pm

Oh god

Anyone live in/ around Nashville? There's a tiny brewery there called Yazoo which makes, hands down, the best beer I've ever tasted. Can't remember the name of the beer of the top of my head, but I had a buddy that would routinely grab growlers of it when I was down there. Amazing.

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:33 pm

Well, here's all of the beers they make: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/9020

Roippi
Pie of the Sky

Post by Roippi » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:58 pm

Ah. It was Sue, their porter. Had a very unique taste and porters are awesome.

I actually thought their hefeweizen was amazing, though it got relatively poor reviews on there. Admittedly I'm not much of a hefeweizen guy.

preniqueezer
AFH

Post by preniqueezer » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:12 pm

Growler prices may vary a lot by vendor. I think one of the local places sells them for $6, which is quite economical.

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Manendra » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:30 am

Turtle Juice wrote:The best stout I have ever had. Thick, dark, delicious.

Surly - Darkness (a Russian Imperial Stout)

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/13014/33127
Darkness is awesome. I went to Darkness Day this year:

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:17 pm

So... friggin... jealous...

If you're ever in upstate NY and you don't bring me Surly I will hunt you down and steal your beer anyways. And then I'll give up some Ithaca beers to make it even.

Omri
AFH

Post by Omri » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:05 pm

Just bought a Stone Vertical Epic 10.10.10. I was debating on buying it at $9 for a 22-oz, but I read something someone said (I forget if it was here or elsewhere, or maybe both) about a fantastic beer being cheaper than even a decent bottle of wine, which helped make the decision for me. This beer is fantastic. It's like a Belgian Trippel meets a dry white wine in one fantastic beverage, and it has quite a kick. I'm not used to actually being affected by the alcohol in beers unless I drink 3 or 4 of them.

Verdigris97
Colonel Contest

Post by Verdigris97 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:18 pm

Between keystrokes I am enjoying an Old Rasputin, my first Russian Imperial Stout.

I like it. :thumbs: I am surprised I haven't had a Russian Imperial before, since I definitely prefer the darkest beers available ("potting soil," as my friends say) wherever I am. Now I really want to try Darkness, mentioned above, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to find it around here...

snarkypants
Contest Master of Heck

Post by snarkypants » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:38 pm

Verdi, if you're in a place where you can get it, the Great Lakes Brewing Blackout Stout is great, and the (tap- and growler-only, I believe) Barrel-Aged Blackout is even better. Founders Imperial is also really good, although I more usually see their (coffee-ish) Breakfast Stout instead.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:58 pm

I need to find a place near here that actually sells lots of different kinds of beers. BevMo is a step up from Safeway, but I couldn't find anything by most of the breweries I've read about here. And the only two dogfishheads they had were sold out.

Oh well, they have a good selection of CA beers so I can get plenty of Stone.

Verdigris97
Colonel Contest

Post by Verdigris97 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:23 pm

Snax, thanks for the tip(s)!

I get non-mainstream stuff at Whole Foods (and they sell by the bottle, although there's a markup), and it can be hit-or-miss. I haven't really found anything better. There are PLENTY of wine shops around here, and even some of the liquor stores specialize in wine, but good beer is much harder to come by, as far as I know.

I just joined Beer Advocate, though, and I'm going to see if they have location tools, or something similar, that will point me towards a decent selection.

Omri
AFH

Post by Omri » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:17 pm

stupac2 wrote:I need to find a place near here that actually sells lots of different kinds of beers. BevMo is a step up from Safeway, but I couldn't find anything by most of the breweries I've read about here. And the only two dogfishheads they had were sold out.
And that's what's awesome about living close to Jungle Jim's.

I just had a couple of bottles of Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout tonight - it was fantastic!

Verdigris97
Colonel Contest

Post by Verdigris97 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:55 pm

I just searched on Beer Advocate (under "places" in the dropdown) and found two places near me I want to check out.

Stu: based on some of your comments in chat tonight I also looked in the East Bay (I chose "Fremont, CA" as an approximation of the concept of "East Bay"), and it said there was a place called Cork & Bottle right across from a BevMo on Mowry that might have a few interesting things. Doesn't sound like a huge selection, though...

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:53 pm

Verdigris97 wrote:I just searched on Beer Advocate (under "places" in the dropdown) and found two places near me I want to check out.

Stu: based on some of your comments in chat tonight I also looked in the East Bay (I chose "Fremont, CA" as an approximation of the concept of "East Bay"), and it said there was a place called Cork & Bottle right across from a BevMo on Mowry that might have a few interesting things. Doesn't sound like a huge selection, though...
For some reason that didn't come up when I searched "beer" on google maps. I'll check it out next time I need beer.

TrueEeviL
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by TrueEeviL » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:53 am

Current Top 3:
Lagunitas a Little Sumpin' Wild
Schneider Wiesen Edel-Weisse
Dogfish Head Punkin Ale

Other favorites off the top of my head:
Duvel
Brooklyner Weisse
Rogue Chipotle Ale
Sam Adams Summer Ale
Arrogant Bastard Ale
Old Rasputin (I rarely venture this way, so that's my only Russian Imperial Stout experience)

Default when good stuff isn't available:
Sam Adams Boston Lager

How is the Ithaca stuff? I was there for New Years Eve, but didnt get to grab any. I havent seen it in the Albany area.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:02 pm

The only Lagunitas I've had is their Pils, and I didn't really like it. It had some funny aftertaste. It was stored warm though, so I'm wondering if that fucked with the flavor or if I'm just totally an ale man now.

My last trip to BevMo had some interesting results. Stone's Ruination is a regular of mine now, but be warned, damn thing is so hoppy it tastes like a garden. Bear Republic's Red Rocket Ale was also really good, and Safeway carries it, which is always a plus. I had a couple of misses though, the Lagunitas mentioned above and Karl Strauss Amber Lager (it wasn't bad, but it's not good). And of course when I need something light but enjoyable I go with my hilarious Newcastle mini-keg.

Verdigris97
Colonel Contest

Post by Verdigris97 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:19 pm

Speaking of Safeway (which has a pretty wide range of labels and quality for a chain grocery store) I took a risk on a 6-pack of Mendocino Oatmeal Stout.

Ugh. Tried one, and it tasted overly burnt and made my kitchen smell funny. Then I read a review on Ba and someone mentioned the word "ashtray," and now I can't think of anything else. Now I need a Samuel Smith's just to clear my head...
S- Wet cardboard and balsamic vinegar dressing.

T- Burnt malt and ashtray flavor.

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:06 pm

Ithaca stuff is excellent. Flower Power IPA is their best year-round beer, and Cascazilla is good too. Right now the seasonal Ground Break, an Americanized saison, is out. All of their Excelsior beers (their line of 750ml special beers) are worth trying as well.

The holy grail of Ithaca's beers is their Super Friends IPA, an IPA brewed with wild yeast and one of my favorite beers of all time. It was a one-of tap-only beer, although they may have brewed more because a place by me claims to have some right now.

williabr
Spy vs. Pie

Post by williabr » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:49 pm

Omri wrote:And that's what's awesome about living close to Jungle Jim's.
Yeah, that place is incredible in every way. Not sure how far north you live of Cincinnati, but if you are near the city often, pop across the river to either Party Source in Newport or Cork & Bottle in Covington, both have a really good selection of craft beer. There is often a pretty striking difference between what gets distributed in KY versus OH. So its worth the occasional trip down, even from Fairfield.

Now that I'm out of Cincinnati and in San Francisco, I'm still trying to adjust to the fact that damn near nothing that I used to drink in Cincinnati (Bells, Founders, Great Lakes, 3 Floyds, Goose Island) is available here.

So far the best breweries I've found out here are Russian River, Firestone Walker & 21st Amendment.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:51 pm

I think in the city you can find some places that will carry stuff from around the country.

Num deleted

Post by Num deleted » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:29 pm

I found that Fish Tale is a really good West Coast brewery. You should be able to get some of their beers in the San Fran. area...

Here's a link to their stuff... the Imperial Stout and Barleywine are extremely good:

http://www.ratebeer.com/brewers/fish-br ... beers/870/

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:47 pm

I've been searching for some Goose Island Matilda. I can't find it anywhere.

Omri
AFH

Post by Omri » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:20 pm

williabr wrote:Yeah, that place is incredible in every way. Not sure how far north you live of Cincinnati, but if you are near the city often, pop across the river to either Party Source in Newport or Cork & Bottle in Covington, both have a really good selection of craft beer. There is often a pretty striking difference between what gets distributed in KY versus OH. So its worth the occasional trip down, even from Fairfield.

Now that I'm out of Cincinnati and in San Francisco, I'm still trying to adjust to the fact that damn near nothing that I used to drink in Cincinnati (Bells, Founders, Great Lakes, 3 Floyds, Goose Island) is available here.

So far the best breweries I've found out here are Russian River, Firestone Walker & 21st Amendment.
I've been to Covington Cork & Bottle (it's like a 3 minute drive from my grandparents' house) - picked up a growler of Bourbon County Stout over the holidays :D
thacon wrote:I've been searching for some Goose Island Matilda. I can't find it anywhere.
Jungle Jim's has it <_<

Creelie
Inscrutable Pi

Post by Creelie » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:39 pm

I got to try some Unibraue Maudite a little while ago, and while I went for it because of the Satan's enchanted canoe motif, I actually really enjoyed it. It's a Belgian-style refermented beer, really strong and yeasty and fruity. Anything similar you beermeisters think I ought to try?

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:53 pm

Try all of the Unibroue beers you can get your hands on. Probably my best deal ever was getting 4-pack samplers of Unibroue for $6, containing one each of La Fin Du Monde, Don de Dieu, Trois Pistoles, and Maudite. They're all great (and high ABV). More commonly I see 4-packs going for $9 of any of those and 750mls for $6-7.

Num deleted

Post by Num deleted » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:22 pm

I second the trying all Unibroue beers, highly recommend the Trois Pistoles.

snarkypants
Contest Master of Heck

Post by snarkypants » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:50 pm

The Unibrou beers are just basically clones of Chimay, right? La Terrible == Blue, Maudite == Red. (I think Unibroue's versions are in fact slightly better, but Chimay is the inspiration.) I tend to like Belgian browns/dark ales like Grimbergen or Rochefort 8, but you might want to try Orval or Ommegang's Hennepin.

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:28 am

They're not clones. Some of them are the same styles, like La Fin Du Monde and Chimay White. Trois Pistoles and Chimay Red don't line up because, while they're both dark ales, Chimay Red is a dubbel (a subset of Belgian dark ales with a specific set of flavors) while Trois Pistoles is not. I guess you could say that Unibroue is inspired by all of the Trappist styles.

Also, I don't think Chimay originated the styles. The pale tripel, for instance, started at Westmalle.

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Manendra » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:16 pm

thacon wrote:I've been searching for some Goose Island Matilda. I can't find it anywhere.
I have no idea what Goose Island's distribution is like out there in the big apple. It's pretty easy to find up here.

Omri, you live in SW OH? I'm so sorry. :P But Jungle Jims really is fantastic.

Omri
AFH

Post by Omri » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:54 pm

Manendra wrote:Omri, you live in SW OH? I'm so sorry. :P But Jungle Jims really is fantastic.
I love Cincinnati! Nothing to be sorry about :P Except the weather... darn you, Ohio weather!

Uhh, and... go Reds!

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:20 pm

I just went to the Cork & Bottle and BevMo, and I came back with Stone's IPA, the Chimay 3-pack thingie, Goose Island Matilda, and Dogfish Head's 90-minute IPA. That should last me a while.

I went to the Cork & Bottle first, and I was really hoping for the 90-minute there, but they only had some apricot thing. So when I walked into BevMo and saw that they had it I literally fell to my knees and raised my fists into the air. They'd been sold out the last TWO times I went, so it was nicely timed.

I'm not sure how much I'm going to like all those Belgians, since the citrus-y yeast-y thing normally doesn't do much for me. But after thacon's post saying he was specifically looking for Matilda, and after all the talk about going after Unibrau whenever possible (and their being similar to Chimay) I figured I ought to. Might as well have something to divert away from the 4 different IPAs in my fridge right now...

ETA: After the Chimay Blue my impression of Belgian beers has yet to change. There's just something about them that doesn't taste right to me...

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:58 pm

Has anyone checked out Untappd? Seems like it could be neat for this group. It's so close to doing everything that I want in a beer-tracking app that I think I'm going to use it extensively. Shockingly, I'm stupac2 on there. FRIEND ME.

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:06 pm

Manny uses it. Thanks to untappd and twitter, I never have to go more than a few minutes without knowing exactly what he's drinking :)

Omri
AFH

Post by Omri » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:31 pm

Hmm... just friended stu, but as I don't have a mobile phone with access to internet (besides e-mail on my blackberry), I don't think I'll be using this much.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:39 pm

Yeah that's the downside, it doesn't seem to have any non-mobile for beer reviews. Which is kind of "wtf?".

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:07 am

I'm Eigen on Untappd.

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Manendra » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:09 am

As of today, you can now check in on a non-mobile device. Timing! http://blog.untappd.com/

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:10 am

Manendra wrote:As of today, you can now check in on a non-mobile device. Timing! http://blog.untappd.com/
Also a rating system! I definitely wanted that. Only 6 values (assuming 0 is a value), but that's better than nothing!

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:47 pm

I'm talking with a few people about doing beer trades, if there's something you're dying to try from northern California that you can't get your hands on, let me know!

preniqueezer
AFH

Post by preniqueezer » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:12 pm

Sounds fun! I may play along. I don't currently do the smart phone thing, but if I can use the blog it may be okay. I'm on there as Ross (apparently I failed at getting Ryme in there). I'm already a little obsessive about collecting and cataloging life experiences and liquors, so this is par for the course, I guess.
Last edited by preniqueezer on Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:25 pm

I just signed up for untappd as thacon. Now you can all see that I drink the same 4 beers all the time.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:58 pm

preniqueezer wrote:Sounds fun! I may play along. I don't currently do the smart phone thing, but if I can use the blog it may be okay. I'm on there as Ross (apparently I failed at getting Ryme in there). I'm already a little obsessive about collecting and cataloging life experiences and liquors, so this is par for the course, I guess.
The usernames in untappd are a bit weird. You can search for either username or real name, but the url is http://untappd.com/user/stupac2, even though, as far as I can tell, that's the only play it shows up. Searching for ryme will only return PIE, while searching for ross will likely return lots of people as well.

I should submit a request for a more prominent display of username...

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:07 pm

PIE I just noticed your location. Have you seen this?

(It's a parody of the Brewmasters show done by Ska Brewing)

Verdigris97
Colonel Contest

Post by Verdigris97 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:11 pm

I'm on as Verdigris97. Shocking, I know.

transplanted_entwife
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by transplanted_entwife » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:53 pm

I created an acct on Untappd as Transplanted_Entwife. How the hell do I list the wine I'm drinking? =P

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:55 pm

I love that I found out that Pliny the Younger's run is once/year in early February in early March. ONLY ELEVEN MONTHS!!

williabr
Spy vs. Pie

Post by williabr » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:30 pm

stupac2 wrote:I love that I found out that Pliny the Younger's run is once/year in early February in early March. ONLY ELEVEN MONTHS!!
Yeah, there were a few bars in the city that had it on tap during SF Beer Week. Wanted to try it, but wound up being too horribly sick all week to be out in public.

I'm pretty mixed on these kind of special release annual beers. On one hand, I want to try them all because they are generally much more exciting than whatever is on the market day-to-day. On the other hand, the price and hype on some of them make them nearly impossible to get, which sort of sucks.

Also, finally started using untappd, username is williabr. Felt like I needed to have a beer before I told anybody that I was using the site, so made sure to grab an early morning Pliny the Elder just so I would have something recorded,

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:51 pm

williabr wrote:Yeah, there were a few bars in the city that had it on tap during SF Beer Week. Wanted to try it, but wound up being too horribly sick all week to be out in public.

I'm pretty mixed on these kind of special release annual beers. On one hand, I want to try them all because they are generally much more exciting than whatever is on the market day-to-day. On the other hand, the price and hype on some of them make them nearly impossible to get, which sort of sucks.
Yeah, I can sort of understand why breweries do it, but to me the middle ground between "test releases at brew-pubs only" and "seasonal" just doesn't need to be explored that much. A two-week release is really ridiculous.

I guess it helps build publicity for them, which is nice, but come on. Wouldn't it be better to brew a few times more and let more people try the beer? Isn't "letting people enjoy beer" the reasons they're brewing? Such limited releases seem to go completely against that.
Also, finally started using untappd, username is williabr. Felt like I needed to have a beer before I told anybody that I was using the site, so made sure to grab an early morning Pliny the Elder just so I would have something recorded,
A nice start, I'll be downing one of those tonight if SOMEONE is too sick to go to Jupiter like we planned.

Oh, will, is city beer as awesome as it sounds? I'm considering barting into the city just to go there.

williabr
Spy vs. Pie

Post by williabr » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:24 pm

stupac2 wrote:Oh, will, is city beer as awesome as it sounds? I'm considering barting into the city just to go there.
Its smaller than I was originally expecting it to be. The selection, however, is really good. The couple times that I've been there, they've had some great things on tap. Always nice to have a beer in hand while you're browsing the selection

Another place that I was recently impressed with is Healthy Spirits (http://healthy-spirits.blogspot.com/). They had a big selection of .750s that I haven't seen elsewhere

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:39 pm

Too bad that place is a pretty long walk from the nearest bart station, although probably not much worse than the walk to Beer Revolution from the 12th street stop in Oakland.

williabr
Spy vs. Pie

Post by williabr » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:03 pm

yeah, its definitely a hike. It would be a MUNI trip from City Beer

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:07 pm

williabr wrote:yeah, its definitely a hike. It would be a MUNI trip from City Beer
Meh. With all the beer drinking I'm doing I could use the exercise.

Also, snark and I might do something up in the city on Saturday as an excuse to pick up some beers at one or the other (both?). That might involve driving in, depending, or just a lot of walking.

Num deleted

Post by Num deleted » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:34 pm

Stu's also got me on this... friend me at David Thompson. =)

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:45 pm

So I'm sitting here drinking a Pliny the Elder with dinner. Take a sip before starting, delicious. Take a few bites of my salami/mozzarella/bread combo (hooray lazy dinner), take another sip and now it's much more bitter. Drink a bunch of water, back to delicious. What's with that?

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:25 pm

Um, well for both beer and wine usually the first sip is different from all the rest. Has to do with chemistry of saliva, blah blah.