Beers

Like the title says, anything and everything else goes here. As long as it follows the forum rules.

Moderator: Raccoon

Verdigris97
Colonel Contest

Re: Beers

Post by Verdigris97 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Eigenbasis wrote:Um, well for both beer and wine usually the first sip is different from all the rest. Has to do with chemistry of saliva, blah blah.
I always find that the second beer tastes better than the first...

Plus, the fat in the salami will change the mouthfeel, and alter the flavor as well... maybe it blocks some of the taste receptors, but I find the same thing with fatty foods.

JennyUnderpants
Cheats at Words With Friends

Post by JennyUnderpants » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:30 pm

Ok, so! As a general rule, I hate beer. Prior to this year, I managed to choke down 1 (one) Heineken, and 1 (one) Corona. I just don't care for the taste. I definitely don't care about head, or hops, or lacing, or brew temperatures, or the difference between an ale and a lager. And, having zero tolerance makes beer-tasting/sampling difficult. But, after my dear friend Kallmir2000 (one of the Piglet officers) fed me an oatmeal stout that he brewed, I kind of got hooked. I could practically chew on the thing, and it was delicious! I can't tell you anything about the beers beyond "I liked it" or "I didn't like it" though. Like WTF is 'front end' and 'finish'?

After not being able to suck down a Killians or...some other beer I don't remember, I've decided I'm only drinking stouts and other similarly motor oil-like beers, and it's working out quite well for me.

First I tried a Chicory Stout. I liked it ok.
Then I tried a Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout. I really liked it.
Then I had a Chocolate Bock. I liked it ok.
Then there was a Pandora's Bock, which I liked, and not just for its cutesy pun.
There was a Cream Stout. I didn't like it. It tasted like wine mixed with beer, and it was weird.
And then a few days ago, I had an Imperial Stout that was very, very tasty. Maybe it was all the chocolate. I dunno. All I know is that it was delicious and it got me drunk before I finished 1/3 of the bottle.

Next in the fridge is the World Wide Stout which I'm a little scared to try because it's 18% ABV. 18%!!! Holy crap!!

Also, last year someone got me a bottle of Dogfish Head Fort. If I ever have an occasion to sample what a camel vomiting berries might taste like, I bet this beer would come close. Gross. It did get me pretty wasted, if that's what you like in a beer :)

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:39 pm

Funny, snark likes stouts too...

slaphappy snark
Widdle Fudge Bunny

Post by slaphappy snark » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:06 pm

As stu said, I seem to be a dark beer girl, too, Jenny!
I'll have to keep an eye out for some of your recommendations, if I can get them, so that we can start comparing notes. :)
I tried this chocolate stout recently and liked it quite a lot. I have their oatmeal stout in stu's fridge for soonish consumption. Rogue is in Portland, and I don't know much about its distribution, so this might just end up with us teasing each other about tasty local beers that the other can't get, until we break down and do a beer(-and-baked-goods) exchange like the boys. :)
I also like Palo Santo Marron, which is not a stout, just dark, but you should be able to find it because Dogfish Head is by you, not me! It has some serious flavor, and I would probably love it if I couldn't taste the alcohol (it's 12%).
I'm hoping to find more delicious things shortly. Join untappd so that we can compare notes, Ms. Underpants! :)

williabr
Spy vs. Pie

Post by williabr » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:23 pm

Rouge is fairly national, I was able to get them easily in the midwest, so they should (hopefully) be available on the east coast as well.

Jenny, the worldwide stout is amazing! I had one about a year ago, and loved it!

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:27 pm

Jenny, if you like really chocolatey stouts and you're on or near the east coast, keep an eye out for Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout and Southern Tier Choklat. The former is a "traditional" imperial stout with chocolate flavors from the roast and the latter is a fairly sweet imperial stout with real dark chocolate in it.
"Have you ever heard the expression, ‘When life gives you lemons, make lemonade, and then throw it in the face of the person who gave you the lemons until they give you the oranges you originally asked for?’"

Verdigris97
Colonel Contest

Post by Verdigris97 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:29 pm

JennyUnderpants wrote:Prior to this year, I managed to choke down 1 (one) Heineken, and 1 (one) Corona. I just don't care for the taste....
After not being able to suck down a Killians or...some other beer I don't remember, ....
Well, there's your problem right there :) You have been fooled into thinking that horse piss = beer.

I've always thought that those pseudo-beers are only drinkable if they are so cold that you can't taste them. Kind of like bad vodka. (Well, okay, Corona can be good if it's 100 degrees out and the AC is busted. Maybe.)

A good beer will be tasty at temperatures above 38 degrees F (and even warmer, say 45-50, for darker beers).

And dark beers are great. Yay dark beer! Bitter, dark, complex beer... like my women. Wait. What was I saying?

Oh, yeah. Like my coffee.

slaphappy snark
Widdle Fudge Bunny

Post by slaphappy snark » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:52 pm

Verdigris97 wrote:A good beer will be tasty at temperatures above 38 degrees F (and even warmer, say 45-50, for darker beers).
So if dark beer tastes like soy sauce when it's not super cold, that's a problem with the beer and not with me?

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:55 pm

That can happen in stouts, especially ones that are stored improperly (too warm or too much light) and get oxidized. It's a bad thing.
"Have you ever heard the expression, ‘When life gives you lemons, make lemonade, and then throw it in the face of the person who gave you the lemons until they give you the oranges you originally asked for?’"

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:10 pm

I find that the warmer beer gets the more pronounced the alcohol in it is, which bothers me.

Verdigris97
Colonel Contest

Post by Verdigris97 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:39 pm

stupac2 wrote:I find that the warmer beer gets the more pronounced the alcohol in it is, which bothers me.
That does happen to me for some, but not all, beer. Some darks with high alcohol content still taste fine to me near 50F. Abbey beers taste better really cold, don't they? (I haven't had an abbey beer recently, so I can't quite remember, but I'm picturing a frosted bottle... mmmmm)

But all decent beers can still taste good pretty far above the freezing point (e.g., 38-42F), as compared to low-ABV, crap beers (Bud Light, Schaeffer's Light, Michelob, etc.) that taste terrible no matter what you do to them.

In those cases, though, it isn't the alcohol content that's ruining the taste. It's probably the horse piss.

zombiepops
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by zombiepops » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:43 pm

Verdigris97 wrote: A good beer will be tasty at temperatures above 38 degrees F (and even warmer, say 45-50, for darker beers).
I keep my keg fridge of guinness at 43 F, and it's always damn tasty!
I'm brainy for Zombiepops!

Num deleted

Post by Num deleted » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:54 pm

slaphappy snark wrote:
Verdigris97 wrote:A good beer will be tasty at temperatures above 38 degrees F (and even warmer, say 45-50, for darker beers).
So if dark beer tastes like soy sauce when it's not super cold, that's a problem with the beer and not with me?
Ales and anything darker should never be served above cellar temperature. Lagers, etc... are served colder.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:59 pm

So one thing I don't get about that is this: the temperature you pour it at is NOT the temperature you drink it at. I don't know about anyone else, but I take 15 minutes to an hour to drink a 12 ounce beer, depending on what I'm doing. That beer will warm up significantly in that amount time, depending on lots of things (but the longer ones will warm more than you'd think given that the volume is getting smaller as you drink it).

So if the ideal drinking temperature is 55 degrees (or whatever), you'd want to serve it colder to actually be around that temperature more (I'm assuming that in this case 50 is preferable to 65).

At any rate, I generally prefer beer colder. But I keep it all in my door so it doesn't get super cold. It's been working for me.

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:14 pm

I've found that if you don't pour it in to a frosted glass (and if you do, that's heresy) then the beer reaches a fine temperature. (You* are pouring it in to a glass... right? right?)

*you as in you the reader, not anyone in particular

preniqueezer
AFH

Post by preniqueezer » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:20 pm

Jenny: if you're a little adventurous, you may also want to try porters at some point. They're like stouts, in that they're dark and rich and roasty and often aren't super bitter, so they may appeal to you. Sometimes they're a little less creamy-textured than stouts, which may be part of what you like, but it may be worth a try, as there's often a lot of overlap between the two styles.

Stu: I'm pretty sure food serves to cleanse your palate between sips of beer, so for a really hoppy beer each bite of food is going to make the bitterness more pronounced with your next sip. I may not have this quite right, but I'm pretty sensitive to hops, and it's VERY clear to me that while I can tolerate a hoppier beer by itself (usually the first sips are kind of awful and then I get used to it), I simply can't drink them at all with food. Even a "balanced" beer, which might taste pretty good to me on its own, tends to taste much more bitter and unpleasant with food. I always either drink separately from eating, or only drink sweeter beers with food, because that's all I can take.

JennyUnderpants

Post by JennyUnderpants » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:23 pm

I pour my beer into spare sippy cups and drink through a straw.

I just bought a smoky porter today!

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:34 pm

JennyUnderpants wrote:I pour my beer into spare sippy cups and drink through a straw.
I was going to write the exact same thing. We should probably go drinking together.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:40 pm

preniqueezer wrote:Stu: I'm pretty sure food serves to cleanse your palate between sips of beer, so for a really hoppy beer each bite of food is going to make the bitterness more pronounced with your next sip. I may not have this quite right, but I'm pretty sensitive to hops, and it's VERY clear to me that while I can tolerate a hoppier beer by itself (usually the first sips are kind of awful and then I get used to it), I simply can't drink them at all with food. Even a "balanced" beer, which might taste pretty good to me on its own, tends to taste much more bitter and unpleasant with food. I always either drink separately from eating, or only drink sweeter beers with food, because that's all I can take.
It took me a while to notice, which is kind of odd. Now I'm wondering how many IPAs I tried with food that I thought were unbalanced but actually aren't. MY WHOLE WORLD VIEW IS BEING CALLED INTO QUESTION.

Oh well. Perception is fucked up anyway.

top1214
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by top1214 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:41 pm

Eigenbasis wrote:I've found that if you don't pour it in to a frosted glass (and if you do, that's heresy) then the beer reaches a fine temperature. (You* are pouring it in to a glass... right? right?)

*you as in you the reader, not anyone in particular

A bottle is a glass right? And it comes pre-poured! Optimal!

preniqueezer
AFH

Post by preniqueezer » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:25 pm

Bottle? Glass? That reminds me: another technique I use for dealing with hoppier beers is to drink from the bottle. Particularly dry-hopped beers, with lots of aroma. Drinking from the bottle mutes the hop aroma and sometimes a little bitterness. Conversely, if you're all about the hops, the glass would serve you well.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:29 pm

I drink everything from a glass now, unless (like PIE) I don't really want to taste it. Which is the case for a few things I have left. Or, I guess, if I'm feeling lazy.

I should get some more glasses, right now all I have are the Chimay one and 4 of the Sam Adams ones.

preniqueezer
AFH

Post by preniqueezer » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:53 pm

An expansive beer glass collection is fun. You should at minimum have:

* 6 standard pint glasses

* 2 guinness-style glasses, because they hold 20 ounces, or 12-16 ounces of really foamy beers

* 2 new belgium-style globes, because they're awesome.
http://www.treefortbikes.com/product/33 ... Globe.html

* 2 chimay glasses. For drinking chimay or any other beer you want to cherish by burying your nose in it

* 2 stella artois glasses, also because they're awesome
http://www.samssteins.com/Stella-Artois ... P2407.aspx

* 2 lindemans beer glass. Like a champagne glass for beer. Great for sweet beers and really bubbly ones.
http://www.truebeer.com/Lindemans-Beer-Glass_p_117.html

* 2 beer flutes, for the style
http://www.truebeer.com/Radeberger-Gold ... p_350.html

* 1 stein of some sort, for big glasses of lager, and for waving about whilst singing and drinking

* 1 big glass mug. It's like a stein, but if you're drinking a lighter colored beer somewhere brightly lit, it really lets the beer shine. Example: http://www.truebeer.com/Hofbrauhaus-Bee ... p_154.html

* 1 lady beer glass, as a conversation piece
http://www.truebeer.com/Lady-Beer-Glass_p_436.html

* and finally, 1 glass boot, for beerfest!

--------

No specific endorsement of any of the links implied, just handy pictures. As a disclaimer, I don't own a stein, a boot, a big glass mug, or the Stella Artois glasses, but I wish I did. Mostly I use standard pints and Guinness style glasses (local bars in Ft. Collins had a pint night that let us keep the glasses and get cheap refills), but when I remember to dig out the New Belgium globe I swear I enjoy the beer more, just because it feels really sophisticated, and it's good for both seeing and smelling the beer.

reverkiller
Promoter of Heck

Post by reverkiller » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:20 am

I just want to say that reading this thread really makes me want to try real beer. Sadly, I don't have impressive access to it now. I have 1 craft beer in my fridge from a friend who didn't like it, so I might be drinking that with you all in mind.

EDIT:
Not that you guys care what I'm doing or thinking, but the beer is this: http://www.magichat.net/elixirs/vinyl#/elixirs/howl
Last edited by reverkiller on Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

JennyUnderpants

Post by JennyUnderpants » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:24 am

thacon wrote:We should probably go drinking together.
OK, but you're driving or we're taking a cab because I'll be drunk after one. half. If I eat beforehand.

I have 4 frosty mugs and a Cinderella frosty mug that I scored from the castle in DisneyWorld. Next time I shall have my cellar-temperatured stout in the Cinderella mug. Maybe I'll even drunk post.

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:27 am

reverkiller wrote:I just want to say that reading this thread really makes me want to try real beer. Sadly, I don't have impressive access to it now.
Aren't you in college? You're doing it wrong.

JennyUnderpants wrote:I have 4 frosty mugs and a Cinderella frosty mug that I scored from the castle in DisneyWorld
I have a Goofy mug from Disney World that I can bring.

zombiepops
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by zombiepops » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:48 am

thacon wrote:
reverkiller wrote:I just want to say that reading this thread really makes me want to try real beer. Sadly, I don't have impressive access to it now.
He said real beer. I'm sure he can lay his hands on the mountains of horse piss that is sold as beer in the US.
I'm brainy for Zombiepops!

top1214
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by top1214 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:56 am

zombiepops wrote:
thacon wrote:
He said real beer. I'm sure he can lay his hands on the mountains of horse piss that is sold as beer in the US.
Natty Light. Big reason why I didn't drink very much in college.

reverkiller
Promoter of Heck

Post by reverkiller » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:19 am

zombiepops wrote:
thacon wrote:
Yeah this.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:25 am

I think what thacon meant was:
1. Make friends with someone older than 21 (should be easy/trivial).
2. Have them buy you good beer.
3. Have good beer.

Omri
AFH

Post by Omri » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:38 pm

I broke down and bought some Unibroue La Fin du Monde today, and I definitely enjoy it. Doesn't hurt that Belgian Trippel is quite possibly my favorite style of beer.

And I really need to expand my beer glass collection. I have:
  • Tons of pint glasses (a brewpub around here has pint night where you get a pint glass and cheap refills).
  • One Lindeman's glass (exact same one as was previously posted)
  • One pilsener glass (which I use when I drink wheat beers)
  • One snifter (out of which I'm currently drinking my La Fin du Monde).
  • One tulip glass.
Last edited by Omri on Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

transplanted_entwife
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by transplanted_entwife » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:54 pm

All right, Beer Meisters... what should I drink w my Corned Beef and Cabbage tomorrow? Guinness seems horridly predictable, but remember that I am stuck in Cornville USA (aka Lincoln, NE). Suggestions? "Don't eat Corned Beef and Cabbage" does NOT count as a suggestion. =P

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:36 pm

Brown ale, perhaps? Stick to the malty/roasty side.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:38 pm

Some other Irish stout? An Irish red? I don't know if something non-Irish really goes with that dish, but an Irish beer probably does.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:23 pm

In case anyone doesn't read the main forums: http://images.fastcompany.com/upload/po ... r_1300.jpg

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:26 pm

Wow, that's actually very accurate.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:17 pm

If you're looking for a pint glass, this one is adorable: http://www.topatoco.com/merchant.mvc?Sc ... _Code=GOAT

Plus the dude's wife is apparently pregnant with N>1 kids, and having some kind of complications. So that'd help them out a bit too.

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Manendra » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:56 pm

stupac2 wrote:I drink everything from a glass now, unless (like PIE) I don't really want to taste it. Which is the case for a few things I have left. Or, I guess, if I'm feeling lazy.

I should get some more glasses, right now all I have are the Chimay one and 4 of the Sam Adams ones.
I mostly drink from the bottle/can because I'm a heathen like that. But I also have an extensive glassware collection. My tendency to go to bars a lot means I have a lot of opportunities to... acquire interesting glassware. I suggest buying glassware from the breweries you enjoy rather than just generic stuff. Makes things more fun. (I know you don't go to bars much, so that's not much of an option.)

Jaelith
Pie in the Sky

Post by Jaelith » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:34 pm

http://untappd.com/user/laeren

I shall try to be more diligent about checking in, so that all may pass judgment.

Judge judge judge.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:42 pm

You should be like me and drink nothing judge-worthy.

preniqueezer
AFH

Post by preniqueezer » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:09 am

Stu, I judge you every time you let some inappropriately hopped beer pass your lips. I just judge in silence.

Also, apparently I'm friends with a lot of people, 90% of whom I have no idea who they are, but I assume they're clannies.

JennyUnderpants

Post by JennyUnderpants » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:16 am

Who the crap is Steve? >.>

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:20 am

Steve is Eigen. Check people's usernames, displayable in the URLs and I think somewhere on their profile.

JennyUnderpants

Post by JennyUnderpants » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:21 am

Oh, that's quite obvious isn't it? I blame the beer I haven't consumed.

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:24 am

I liked the part where you friended me and then a few days later, "Who the crap is Steve?"

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:25 am

Eigenbasis wrote:I liked the part where you friended me and then a few days later, "Who the crap is Steve?"
Welcome to the facebook era.

JennyUnderpants

Post by JennyUnderpants » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:27 am

:oops: ok, I'm that jerk. *hangs head, kicks dirt*

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Manendra » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:17 pm

preniqueezer wrote:Also, apparently I'm friends with a lot of people, 90% of whom I have no idea who they are, but I assume they're clannies.
In case you hadn't figured it out, http://untappd.com/user/lewismd is me.

TrueEeviL
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by TrueEeviL » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:56 pm

Manendra wrote:In case you hadn't figured it out, http://untappd.com/user/lewismd is me.
Sent you a friend request (TacoD)

JennyUnderpants

Post by JennyUnderpants » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:58 pm

I'm jennyunderoants. I'm also deunk. I know, o. Lynn 2. Beers. I never said I could him my luquoen. Who the duck is matt from. Cincinnati? Curse these tiny keys on my phosne

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:03 pm

JennyUnderpants wrote:I'm jennyunderoants. I'm also deunk. I know, o. Lynn 2. Beers. I never said I could him my luquoen. Who the duck is matt from. Cincinnati? Curse these tiny keys on my phosne
Ahahahahahaha.

(sorry)

JennyUnderpants

Post by JennyUnderpants » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:25 pm

you laugh, but i figured out who matt is. my incredibly intuitive and astute brain saw the part where his url says "omri". go me! I wish yhou guys could see my hair because it looks ridiculous right now.

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:37 pm

You sober up amazingly well in 27 minutes!

JennyUnderpants

Post by JennyUnderpants » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:38 pm

OR. I moved from my phone to my laptop. Thacon. IF THAT'S YOUR REAL NAME.

reverkiller
Promoter of Heck

Post by reverkiller » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:21 am

JennyUnderpants wrote:OR. I moved from my phone to my laptop. Thacon. IF THAT'S YOUR REAL NAME.
I'm confident it is.

preniqueezer
AFH

Post by preniqueezer » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:22 pm

I always thought it stood for "To Hit Armor Class 'Bacon'"

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:54 pm

Yes, definitely t.h.a.c.o.n.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:19 pm

Can anyone in here get Bell's stuff and Kentucky Breakfast Stout (by Founder's) and want to do a beer trade? I really want to try me some Hopslam and KBS...

williabr
Spy vs. Pie

Post by williabr » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:37 am

stupac2 wrote:Can anyone in here get Bell's stuff and Kentucky Breakfast Stout (by Founder's) and want to do a beer trade? I really want to try me some Hopslam and KBS...
If you're only looking for 1 bottle of KBS, I have one that I'd be willing to part with from my recent 4pack acquisition.

Hopslam might be a little tougher to come by. Its toward the end of its release cycle, and it tends to move fairly quickly. If you don't have any luck, I can try and call a few of my beer distribution friends back in Cincinnati and see if they can locate any. It is, by the way, super delicious. Two Hearted Ale is also really good, just not the super intense double ipa that Hopslam is.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:43 am

That would be pretty awesome of you, will. I was sort of hoping Omri or someone else midwest-y would be down for it.

williabr
Spy vs. Pie

Post by williabr » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:37 pm

cool, just let me know if you can't find any midwesterners that want to trade for our delicious west coast ipas

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:10 pm

Haha, well if no one posts in this thread then I'll definitely be SOL.

williabr
Spy vs. Pie

Post by williabr » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:24 pm

So a byproduct of using Untappd is that now I have badge fever and am starting to buy & order drinks based on the potential badges that the drink might unlock.

Case in point is the hoptopia badge. I'm planning on picking up some British IPAs this weekend so that I can pick up that badge. I'm very certain that I wouldn't have picked them up otherwise.

I'm also planning on going to Thirsty Bear (http://www.thirstybear.com/brewery) this weekend and drinking some organic beers to get the organic beer badge. Another thing I probably never would have done because tapas restaurants annoy the hell out of me.

I think its the appropriate mix of being an obsessive collector and incentive to branch out.

Omri
AFH

Post by Omri » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:45 pm

I'll take a look at Jungle Jim's next time I'm over there and see if they've got any currently. I haven't tried either, but I would certainly like to. How many bottles of each are you looking for? Also, how would shipping it work? I imagine that could get quite expensive.
Last edited by Omri on Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

top1214
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by top1214 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:46 pm

I can look around stu. I've had 2-hearted in a bottle at bars here, but I haven't gone to anywhere more complicated than the grocery store for beer in months.

Num deleted

Post by Num deleted » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:49 pm

We had Hopslam out here stu, unfortunatly it is a limited run each year and this years is done. So for that one you are going to have to be lucky in the bottle dpt. I will try to get out and take a look later this week and see if we have any left.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:34 pm

Omri wrote:I'll take a look at Jungle Jim's next time I'm over there and see if they've got any currently. I haven't tried either, but I would certainly like to. How many bottles of each are you looking for? Also, how would shipping it work? I imagine that could get quite expensive.
If we trade we'd each just pay our own, I think it cost me <$20 to shit ~5 beers fedex ground. If you don't want anything from here I'd just pay you for it.

And 1 or 2. I don't need a ton.

Also, crap, numen. I wish I'd been thinking of that, I'd have asked for it. I've known I've wanted to try hopslam for a long time, I guess I didn't think it got down there.

Also also, you'd be surprised how long "limited release" stuff can last in some places.

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:39 pm

stupac2 wrote:I think it cost me <$20 to shit ~5 beers fedex ground
Did you ask them to light it on fire after they leave it on the doorstep?

NardoLoopa
Market Manipulator

Post by NardoLoopa » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:05 pm

had some hopslam -- only "hoppy" beer I've tasted that actually tasted good.

Right now I'm in the land of cask-ales. I've had 17 of them since landing here in London on Sunday. Certainly amazing. Never knew I liked "bitters". The name is certainly deceiving.

Omri
AFH

Post by Omri » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:24 pm

I went to Jungle Jim's to check, and they were pretty much like "yeah, there's no way you're going to be able to get Hopslam or KBS." They said that they get the most KBS of anywhere in Ohio, and instead of selling 4-packs, only sell them as single bottles, and they still sell it out in 2 weeks. Hopslam is apparently not that a whole lot better either. Sorry stu.