Beers

Like the title says, anything and everything else goes here. As long as it follows the forum rules.

Moderator: Raccoon

Pascal
Inscrutable Pi

Beers

Post by Pascal » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:37 pm

Let's be honest, there's nothing better in the world than beer. That said, there's been a fantastic resurgence in decent American beers over the last decade and, sadly, I haven't tried each and every one of them.

What are some of your favorite local beers? Seasonals? Hard-to-finds? Ones to avoid?

To start with, I'm a big fan of drinking according to the season. As its fairly warm and nice out in Texas right now, I generally drift away from the dark ales, IPAs, bitters, etc. and go for lighter wheat beers. Right now, I'm drinking a Mothership Wit from New Belgium Brewing, my favorite brewery here stateside. Its light, a little citrusy, fairly refreshing, and doesn't leave an especially sticky aftertaste in my mouth like some of the sweeter beers tend to do.

So tell us, what's in your fridge?

NardoLoopa
Market Manipulator

Post by NardoLoopa » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:42 pm

I don't care for the local brews. But when I'm local to Gallway, Ireland I like Murphy's Stout. When in Prague there's nothing better than Pilsner Urquel -- which tastes like liquid piss anywhere else. Sol is my favorite summer beer. Speckled Hen is nice in the winter.

Alrik
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Alrik » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:53 pm

My favorite breweries in the states are Dogfish Head (120 minute IPA!), Rogue (Double Dead Guy, chocolate stout, et al), and New Belgian (they have a bunch) ... though I'm also partial to a fistful of microbreweries in the Seattle area (Maritime and Mac n' Jack's come to mind).

I'm finding Toronto has some nice, tiny breweries ... but it's bloody hard to find a good beer in a restaurant!

Speaking of beers to avoid: if someone offers you a Flemish red of any sort, run.

feng shweez
Inscrutable Pi

Post by feng shweez » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:17 pm

In my refrigerator right now is 1 dos equis sol, and 4 pabst blue ribbon.

That said, I have much better taste than either of those picks would indicate. (And I am the resident expert on beers from Maine, and the northeast in general--there are quite a few good ones.)

See this post for a considerably more detailed set of my opinions.
[url=http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/9392/nootrosforumslk9.gif][img]http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/9392/nootrosforumslk9.gif[/img][/url]

feng shweez
Inscrutable Pi

Post by feng shweez » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:39 pm

Make that 2 PBR.
[url=http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/9392/nootrosforumslk9.gif][img]http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/9392/nootrosforumslk9.gif[/img][/url]

Mad Hamish
AFH

Re: Beers

Post by Mad Hamish » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:09 am

Pascal wrote:So tell us, what's in your fridge?
1 remaining Natural Ice. 5.9% alcohol and cheap as fuck. If I'm gonna drink an expensive flavorful beer, I prefer draft beer to bottles. Michigan does have some quality microbrews around here. The Bell's Brewery is quite popular statewide, especially their Oberon blend, which is a kinda spicy wheat beer. Not quite my style, usually, but their product is excellent. I also live across the street from the Corner Brewery in Ypsilanti, which is an outpost for the Arbor Brewing Company, a local Ann Arbor brewer. They do a wicked IPA and Porter, which tend to run more to my tastes, and they have a wicked biergarten. And it's so close to my house that I can expect the bartender to tuck me in if I've drank too much. If I'm willing to walk another block farther, I can get 23oz Guinness drafts for $2.50 (yeah, I know it's supposed to come in pints. I ain't gonna complain. All beers there are $2.50 for 23oz, but it's hard to beat a nice Guinness pull) I also like Whiskey.
Hi-keebated again? No way!

feng shweez
Inscrutable Pi

Post by feng shweez » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:07 am

New Holland has quite a few good beers,up there in Michigan, Hamish. Their stout is quote good, if I recall correctly.

EDIT: omg there their they're mistake. Shoot me now.
Last edited by feng shweez on Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

KujjieKujjieKoo
Spade Ninja

Post by KujjieKujjieKoo » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:07 pm

In my fridge right now? Nothing! It's quite disappointing actually... recommend me something!

For the longest time I'd just drink whatever commercial beer was on sale, typically Bud products. Moved a couple of years ago and was blessed with a grocery store with a fantastic beer selection, and a wonderful local brewery. Since then, I've been learning more about the wonders of beer. =)

A couple local brewery favorites: A 50/50 mix of stout and vanilla, dubbed "stanilla". The vanilla is almost too sweet on its own, but split with the rich flavor of the stout... delicious. I also love their Sorachi Ale which has a hint of berry and pine. Imagine walking through a forest, and finding a tree. A beer tree. Then imagine licking that tree. Then imagine not having to pick bark flakes off of your tongue and instead being able to drink it out of a glass. Yeah, that's about their Sorachi. Damn it's good.

dvmaprezson
Fie the Pie

Post by dvmaprezson » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:22 pm

I could really go for a Victory Lager right now.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/dvmaprezson/AFHV2.gif[/img]

ScorpionX
Inscrutable Pi

Post by ScorpionX » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:49 pm

i have about 8 High Life's and 3 Duvel sitting in the fridge.

recommendations for decent local brews in the south:
Sweetwater 420 (GA)
Terripan Ale (GA)
Abita both Turbo Dog and Amber (LA)
For every action, there is an equal and opposite government program.

feng shweez
Inscrutable Pi

Post by feng shweez » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:03 am

Is Abita the one who does "Purple Haze"? I know I've at least had something by them I thought was decent...

Pascal
Inscrutable Pi

Post by Pascal » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:15 am

I love a thread everyone can get behind.

Just finished off a six of Dog-in-Heat Wheat, Flying Dog's craft Hefeweizen and I'm still trying to make up my mind about it. It very much had the fruitiness indicative of most American Hefeweizens - strong hints of citrus, clove, and banana - but that can actually be pretty refreshing on a really hot day. What was unique about it was the finish. Any champagne drinkers will understand what I mean when I say that this beer went entirely to bubbles in my mouth. Poured liquid, finished bubbles. I don't know how else to put it. Not an altogether unpleasant experience, just certainly an unexpected one.

Speaking of lighter beers, I recently tried the Allagash White upon suggestion from chatting with Feng a while back and, I gotta admit, I wasn't hugely impressed. It certainly wasn't bad, per se, but the flavor just wasn't as crisp as I'd like for a Belgian style ale. Still, I'll happily try the rest of the Allagash brews when the opportunity arises, no doubt.

Moment of shame: A homebrewer friend of mine had a birthday recently and, after going to his house and imbibing many, many, many, many of his Belgian Whites, I got to talking. "Man, I love beer!" I drunkenly slurred, "all of 'em! I don't think there's a beer in the world that I wouldn't drink."

Fast forward to last night.

"Hey T, I got something for ya", he said to me as I showed up at his place, ready for some Doctor Who on his massive flat screen. "Remember how you said you'd drink any beer? Here!" He handed me a six of Sam Adams Summer Ale; not my tip-top favorite, but certainly a tasty beer, especially at the price of Free Ninety Nine.

"Um, I've had this before man. Its good. What's the big deal?"

He smiled at me. "I found this on the side of the road while riding my bike today, one of them was laying out in the sun, its your job to guess which one. Its beer Russian Roulette!"

ScorpionX
Inscrutable Pi

Post by ScorpionX » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:51 am

feng shweez wrote:Is Abita the one who does "Purple Haze"? I know I've at least had something by them I thought was decent...

indeed they are... not particularly my favorite, but many people enjoy that one as well...
For every action, there is an equal and opposite government program.

KujjieKujjieKoo
Spade Ninja

Post by KujjieKujjieKoo » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:03 pm

I was pleased to find nearly a dozen choices of Rogue product at my local grocery store. Picked up Dead Guy's Ale, and I've been quite pleased with it thus far. Any other Rogue's that are recommended?

edit: good lord, I can't find the alcohol content anywhere on this stuff, but *damn*. I could get used to this!

Alrik
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Alrik » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:46 pm

KujjieKujjieKoo wrote:I was pleased to find nearly a dozen choices of Rogue product at my local grocery store. Picked up Dead Guy's Ale, and I've been quite pleased with it thus far. Any other Rogue's that are recommended?

They had double dead guy on tap the last time I visited; it was divine. Their juniper pale and chocolate stout are both good, as well.

jorgensen
AFH

Post by jorgensen » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:21 pm

I'm sure at least a couple of you (Pascal, at least?) have heard of Blue Point Brewing Co. They are based in Patchogue, which is on Long Island, about fifteen minutes from me. And their beer is the shiz. Their flagship brew, the Toasted Lager, won 1st place at the World Beer Cup thingy in the Amber category a couple years back, and has consistently placed in the top three. Several of their other recipes have, as well. They are on tap all over the country. If you haven't tried Blue Point, do yourself a favor, and go do so.

Also, Guiness forever. That is all.
-Jorgensen-

Antipasta
AFH

Post by Antipasta » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:58 pm

Great Lakes Brewing, from my longtime hometown of Cleveland, makes one world class beer after another. Their Burning River is a great pale ale, Edmund Fitzgerald a yummy porter, and Dortmunder manages to make beerophile snobs and random bar rabble happy, both.

Now I'm in Cincinnati, and we got nothin'. The microbrew on tap at the Reds ballpark? Great Lakes, from Cleveland!

We're half moved to Atlanta, but that's mostly a great unknown for me. I didn't like the Sweetwater 420 too much. Maybe it reminds me too much of herb brownies and black puddings.

Pascal
Inscrutable Pi

Post by Pascal » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:03 pm

ScorpionX wrote:
feng shweez wrote:Is Abita the one who does "Purple Haze"? I know I've at least had something by them I thought was decent...

indeed they are... not particularly my favorite, but many people enjoy that one as well...

Just picked up a six of it tonight and, I gotta say, I'm fairly lukewarm to it myself. I've never been a big fan of dessert beers (usually the Framboises), and this one, while good, is still a little sweet for my personal tastes. 4.75% ABV is fairly low-mid compared to the trippels I generally prefer for my "sweet" beer, this just left me a little lackluster.

That said, the girlfriend LOVED it. She drinks beer, but isn't a "beer drinker", so sweeter beers like this are perfect for her. She said she loved the finish and the aftertaste, and would love to try more sweet beers like this. Suggestions?

Pascal
Inscrutable Pi

Post by Pascal » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:42 pm

Newest beer - Golden Monkey by Victory Brewing Co. out of Pennsylvania.

I've been in the mood for a nice trippel lately and, upon seeing a six of this at the store last night, decided I'd give it a try. I'll be honest, I don't know this particular brewery at all, and don't think I've tried any of their other beers, but I thought that the art on their beer labels was colorful, pretty, and decided to give it a try.

This was a delicious beer, for sure, with a crisp, sharp bite and a nice fruity finish. No "sticky" aftertaste like you sometimes find in sweeter beers, which was nice. Not the best trippel I've ever had in my life, but certainly a very good one.

Now, the kicker - this shit is strong. STRONG! 9.5% ABV strong! I'm a beer drinkin' guy and generally have an amazing alcohol tolerance, so I didn't give the strength much thought, figuring I would just settle in and drink a beer or three as I watched some Doctor Who.

I was wrong, Golden Monkey, I underestimated you and you made me pay for it. Before I went to bed, I was absolutely crooked on the sauce and found myself admitting to some of the AfHKers that I was "lit up like a Christmas tree". Dayum.

Delicious beer, good flavor, clean finish, but be sure to sip this one slowly over a meal rather than the speed you'd normally drink a lighter beer. Also, hide your phones 'lest you find yourself calling up old ex-girlfriends at one in the morning. Yikes.

issues
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by issues » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:20 pm

pascal you were plenty wasted in AFHk last night :twisted:

i have the chat logs if you need them ;)

Alrik
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Alrik » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:23 pm

Pascal wrote:Newest beer - Golden Monkey by Victory Brewing Co. out of Pennsylvania.

I used to be able to get Storm King Stout at the grocery store (also by Victory). It's well worth it.

dvmaprezson
Fie the Pie

Post by dvmaprezson » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:05 pm

I told you Victory makes good shit.

<3 that brewery.

Alrik
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Alrik » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:48 pm

Just had La Fin du Monde from Unibroue, a Quebec brewery. It's a nice belgian-style tripel (at 9%), if that's your style. They put out a fantastic white (Blanche de Chambly) that packs a little less punch and is great for summer, too.

If you can get their mixed 12-pack, it's well worth it. Sadly, I could get the mix pack in the US but can't find it now that I'm in Canada!

feng shweez
Inscrutable Pi

Post by feng shweez » Wed May 14, 2008 1:36 pm

I've just been trying out a bunch of Unibroue recently myself, and have liked pretty much everything.

I bought a Leinenkugal sampler pack the other day (Sunset Wheat, Honey Weiss, Berry Weiss, Summer Shandy). Everything they made besides their honey weiss is just too sweet. But while the honey weiss isn't too sweet, I don't think it warrents the price markup from, say Honey Brown. (I'm an economical boozer.)

Oh, and also: Canadia is jealous?

KujjieKujjieKoo
Spade Ninja

Post by KujjieKujjieKoo » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:37 pm

I completely agree about summer Leinenkugal being on the sweet side... but their winter Fireside Nut Brown is really good. /em wanders off to get another one.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:45 pm

I like the time between posts on this one, good resurrection Kujjie.

I pretty much only drink Newcastle Brown Ale, I find that I just don't ever stop loving it. But I do need to branch out, especially now that I can buy beer, *ahem*, legally. Hopefully this thread is full of good ideas!

KujjieKujjieKoo
Spade Ninja

Post by KujjieKujjieKoo » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:12 pm

stupac2 wrote:I like the time between posts on this one, good resurrection Kujjie.

Not intended, of course. But over dinner i found myself saying "this is damn good" at least 4 or 5 times. At that point i had to dig up the thread. =)

I really enjoyed the goose island christmas ale last year, but have been unable to locate it anywhere this holiday season. =(

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Manendra » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:48 pm

My usual standard beers are New Belgium Fat Tire, Goose Island Honker's Ale, and when I want something lighter/sweeter Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat or New Belgium Sunshine Wheat. There's a bar in Chicago that has $2 "Euro Drafts" on Tuesdays-- $2 Smithwicks pints are pretty awesome. (Interestingly enough, they also include Dos Equis in that deal. Very European beer, that.)

I had the Leinie's Fireside recently, and it is quite good, as well.

preniqueezer
AFH

Post by preniqueezer » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:41 pm

Mmmm, beer! I used to live in Fort Collins, CO, and took the opportunity to visit New Belgium and Odell on a frequent basis. Both made very high quality beers. Now I'm in Durango, where we also have some good breweries (Ska in particular is very good, Durango brewery and the local brewpubs, Steamworks and Carver's are decent) but it's not the same.

I tend to prefer my beers either balanced or sweet, nothing too hoppy for me, please. New Belgium's Sunshine and Mothership Wit are both excellent, and I love a Newcastle on a hot day, but I'll drink a pretty wide range of beers. Just finished a 4-pack of Trois Pistoles by Unibroue, and damn do they make good beer.

If I'm going cheap, Old Style is my favorite, but I've been drinking Bush because I can't get Old Style out here. Mostly I'm aiming for "not offensive" when I go cheap.

I also make my own beers sometimes, and a few of them have been good. In particular a cherry lambic and a saison have come out about as good as I've found anywhere. I've had some bad ones, too, but I'll save the disasters for some other time.

TheArtfulDodger
Pie of the Sky

Post by TheArtfulDodger » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:28 pm

I'm not a beer drinker, but I do like to support my local Wisconsin microbrewery. New Glarus Brewery just tripled in size and soon will be distributing local favorites like Spotted Cow, Fat Squirrel, and Wisconsin Red nationally. I hear they're pretty damned good.

http://www.newglarusbrewing.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Glarus_Brewing

MonsterERB
AFH

Post by MonsterERB » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:20 pm

preniqueezer wrote:...If I'm going cheap, Old Style is my favorite, but I've been drinking Bush because I can't get Old Style out here. Mostly I'm aiming for "not offensive" when I go cheap...

Do you mean "Busch"? Being from St. Louis since 2001, I've had the opportunity to savor the sweet flavor of Busch Beer, ONCE. It was redolent with nuances of warm horse piss, softly accented with a touch of fermented cheese. Let's just say that my wife's Grandpa (God rest his soul) brought some Busch to the family 4th of July barbecue a few years back... and I was dumbstruck to find out that it was his favorite beer. It was all he would drink. I'm no beer snob... but Jesus God Almighty, Busch Beer is the nastiest freaking thing I've ever swallowed.
For what it's worth, the mug of beer in the sig below (which I created) is supposed to be a nice, easy-to-drink lager... your basic Sam Adams kind of beer. Not too pretentious, little bit of body and bite, goes well with most foods.
Last edited by MonsterERB on Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/dvmaprezson/AFHV1.gif[/img]

kindia
Pie in the Sky

Post by kindia » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:27 pm

/me doesnt like beer, but finds it hard to resist a good, expensive, red wine.

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Manendra » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:30 am

TheArtfulDodger wrote:I'm not a beer drinker, but I do like to support my local Wisconsin microbrewery. New Glarus Brewery just tripled in size and soon will be distributing local favorites like Spotted Cow, Fat Squirrel, and Wisconsin Red nationally. I hear they're pretty damned good.

http://www.newglarusbrewing.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Glarus_Brewing

I love me some New Glarus. I drink Spotted Cow every time I'm up in Milwaukee with my girlfriend. The two of us and some friends actually went camping in New Glarus State park last fall. Lots of beer, a campfire, and delicious grilled food; good times. We visited the brewery in town as well. I still have a bottle of the Wisconsin Belgian Red sitting on my desk waiting for a suitable occasion.

And kindia, I also like a good red, but who needs expensive? I tend to top out at $20 unless its a special occasion. Ever try Malbec? I had a Malbec/Tempranillo blend over the holidays that was just great.

Atrophied
Spy vs. Pie

Post by Atrophied » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:24 pm

These beers have been a constant in my fridge since I moved here. And my god, that coffee porter. What a drink. Perfect for those cold Canadian winter nights when you need something to warm you up. Unfortunately, it's only available during the winter, but you take what you can get, I suppose.

Ramsay
Pie of the Sky

Post by Ramsay » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:59 pm

Beer - a subject dear to my heart. It's fairly difficult to get many decent U.S. beers over here in the U.K. , although I did sample some excellent ones in Portland (ME, not OR) and Boston several years ago when visiting a friend. I think the last American beer I had was an amazing 12% Imperial Stout from Rogue a couple of years ago.

As for British beers, I tend to prefer the darker beers (dark mild, porter, stout) or a "proper" IPA (i.e. strong and hoppy). Been drinking quite a bit of Guinness Export (8%) at home recently, though I don't touch the stuff in the pub if there's a decent cask ale on. Looking forward to our local CAMRA beer festival at the end of Feb, with about 70 beers on offer...

Atrophied wrote:And my god, that coffee porter. What a drink.

Haven't tried the Storm one, but had a Hazelnut coffee Porter from Saltaire brewery at a "meet the brewer" evening at a local pub (again, a seasonal beer). About the only bad thing I could say about it was that the flavour was so intense, you couldn't properly taste the other beers afterwards! (I've been told they've since toned it down a bit, but haven't tried the latest recipe).

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Manendra » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:24 pm

New Belgium currently has a Seasonal (or something) named Giddy Up! that is a great ale brewed with espresso type thing. Delicious for one, then I gotta switch to something a bit lighter.

williabr
Spy vs. Pie

Post by williabr » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:32 pm

Pascal wrote:So tell us, what's in your fridge?

Hooray Beer!

Just finished off the last Bell's Porter. Fantastic, really smooth. Light carbonation makes it dangerously easy to drink.

I try to always have a bottle of Brooklyn Local 1 on hand. Luckily I work right between 2 liquor stores that have a great selection of beers.

Dragonhead Stout. I haven't had it yet, but its waiting in the fridge for me to taste.

Rouge Santa's Private Reserve Ale. Just got this a few days ago. Winter is the best season for beer, its just so damn hard to get them all in before its over.

My girlfriend and I just got a 32 bottle wine fridge that we've been working to keep stocked, I think the next step is to get a beer fridge. Too many times that I've not been able to buy beer due to lack of space.

worshiprick
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by worshiprick » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:49 pm

Been lurking for a while now, registered just to post in this thread :)

I'm surprised that an intelligent discussion on american microbrews hasn't included Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I live in central california, and I consider it a crime for a local business to not have it available at least in the bottle. My fridge stays constantly stocked with this stuff, its beautiful.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is special because they line each bottle with a tiny layer of yeast. It makes the beer, which is terrific in its own right, almost complete aftertaste-free. In my experience, nasty aftertaste ruins many otherwise great beers (like newcastle brown).

Also, honorable mention goes to Pete's Wicked Ale and Eye of the Hawk. Eye of the hawk is strongish, 8.5% I think, but pleasing to drink and does its job quite well ;)

Bors
Inscrutable Pi

Post by Bors » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:38 pm

If you live out in California, pick up some Alaska Amber, or the Winter Ale. Those beers rank in the Top 5 beers I have ever had.
Cheers :)

KujjieKujjieKoo
Spade Ninja

Post by KujjieKujjieKoo » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:14 pm

williabr wrote:Rouge Santa's Private Reserve Ale. Just got this a few days ago. Winter is the best season for beer, its just so damn hard to get them all in before its over.

I tried this recently and wasn't all that impressed. Thinking back, i don't remember why i didn't like it. Your thoughts?

preniqueezer
AFH

Post by preniqueezer » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:14 am

Bors wrote:If you live out in California, pick up some Alaska Amber, or the Winter Ale. Those beers rank in the Top 5 beers I have ever had.
Cheers :)

That Alaska Amber is fantastic. I can get it here in Colorado. Bottles in stores, my favorite pub even has it on tap. Sadly, I'm doing one of those "drink 100 different beers for a reward" thing so I'm not able to repeat beverages more than once a year or so.

williabr
Spy vs. Pie

Post by williabr » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:50 am

KujjieKujjieKoo wrote:
williabr wrote:Rouge Santa's Private Reserve Ale. Just got this a few days ago. Winter is the best season for beer, its just so damn hard to get them all in before its over.

I tried this recently and wasn't all that impressed. Thinking back, i don't remember why i didn't like it. Your thoughts?

Well, I'm actually not all that in love with it either. When I had originally posted, I had purchased it but not tried it yet (had to finish the fantastic Bell's Porter first). I was expecting more out of it, usually breweries bring their A game for the winter brews. I thought it was a bit too acidic. It wasn't a bad red ale, I've just had better.

feng shweez
Inscrutable Pi

Post by feng shweez » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:04 am

Speaking of California winter Brews: Anderson Valley Winter Solstice may be my single favourite beer ever. It is significantly better on tap than in the bottle though.

Also, why is Rolling Rock better in the bottle than it is on tap? It's the only beer I can think of that is like that. Everything is better on tap.

The beers I had this last weekend:
North Coast's Red Seal Ale (CA) - I'm not the biggest amber ale fan and this was no different. I enjoyed it and certainly couldn't find anything wrong with it, but I just generally to go another direction (stout or wheat, typically). Still, the best beer of the weekend.

Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale (CA) - Too hoppy for my tastes. It also probably didn't help that it froze and thawed. But hey, when a roommate who moves out leaves her beer in the fridge, it's hard to say no.

Otter Creek's Stovepipe Porter (VT) - The name is apt. It's as if they took a normal Porter, let it soak in a cast iron pan for an hour, and then bottled it. No thanks. I actually haven't been impressed by anything Otter Creek does. Of the three major Vermont breweries I would order them 1) Long Trail 2) Magic Hat 3) Otter Creek.

(Anyone passing through central Vermont ought to try the Alchemist brewpub in Waterbury, by the way. Great food and delicious home-brewed beer.)

Budweiser's Bud Light (MO) - Affectionately called "the BL Smooth" by my friends and associates, this beer is terrible. I would rather have had the one Miller High Life that was in the fridge over this, but the Mrs. had the good sense to take that first, leaving me only with cans of this swill.
Last edited by feng shweez on Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

preniqueezer
AFH

Post by preniqueezer » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:08 am

feng shweez wrote:Also, why is Rolling Rock better in the bottle than it is on tap? It's the only beer I can think of that is like that. Everything is better on tap.

Newcastle? Assuming it didn't get skunked through the clear glass bottles, the bottle version tends to be tastier than the draft version. Don't know why that is, though.

Also might depend if you're pouring the bottled beer into the glass. (I'd assume you are with most quality beers, but you might not be with Rolling Rock.) There's a lot of differences the glass provides, from visual clues to greater aroma, to changing the carbonation levels a bit once you've poured. If you're drinking from the bottle directly, that can make a big difference.

feng shweez
Inscrutable Pi

Post by feng shweez » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:53 pm

Unless a beer needs a garnish (say, a wheat beer that needs a lemon or orange wedge) I always drink it out of the bottle. Too damn much work to do anything else, connoisseur or not.

KujjieKujjieKoo
Spade Ninja

Post by KujjieKujjieKoo » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:55 pm

feng shweez wrote:Unless a beer needs a garnish I always drink it out of the bottle.

/em raises hand for the same, minus that garnish BS. Who needs garnishes?

MonsterERB
AFH

Post by MonsterERB » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:07 pm

feng shweez wrote:Budweiser's Bud Light (MO) - Affectionately called "the BL Smooth" by my friends and associates, this beer is terrible. I would rather have had the one Miller High Life that was in the fridge over this, but the Mrs. had the good sense to take that first, leaving me only with cans of this swill.

Blasphemy! Bud Light is the party starter!
>_>
<_<
Hell, I'm from St. Louis, and even I will admit Bud Light sucks. However, it's better than Busch (see my previous post in this topic). I'd rather do a HCOxy, 100% black cat run, while collecting Golden Meat Stack and the cursed pirate tattoo, on a Commodore 64 stationed in a bowling alley bathroom, than ever drink Busch Beer again. Ever hear the Weird Al song, "One More Minute"? Kind of like that.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/dvmaprezson/AFHV1.gif[/img]

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:41 pm

Back when I was drinking Boston Lager a lot I bought some of those Sam Adam's curvy glasses (I figured I needed some glasses and they're not expensive), so I use those to drink. I don't know if it actually tastes better, but I prefer it to a bottle on ergonomic grounds.

alacrity
AFH

Post by alacrity » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:39 pm

Oh, while we're talking beer, if you ever find yourself in or near Carpinteria, CA be sure to check out the Island Brewing Company. Tastiest beers ever.

preniqueezer
AFH

Post by preniqueezer » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:02 pm

feng shweez wrote:Unless a beer needs a garnish (say, a wheat beer that needs a lemon or orange wedge) I always drink it out of the bottle.

I mostly drink out of the bottle. Excepting at pubs. And when I'm drinking homebrew or an import that was carbonated by yeast in the bottle -- then I pour to avoid the worst of the yeast.

worshiprick
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by worshiprick » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:59 pm

williabr wrote:usually breweries bring their A game for the winter brews
Gotta disagree with you on that. I've never tried a seasonal brew that I liked. It seems like they all just drop some pine needles into the barrel.

And a warning about "beer garnishes"...those citrus slices are retrieved by the server's dirty hands. Every server/bartender reaches in there and gets their grubby mits all over all the fruit in there. That happens once each time a slice is retrieved, so those garnishes are full of germs and dirt.

Just something for you to ponder the next time you order a heff at restaraunt :)

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:00 pm

I need to broaden my beer horizons a bit, if you could suggest a few things that're likely to be stocked in a BevMo in Northern California that would be really awesome (a lot of the stuff above seems to be pretty local). Not a fan of dark beers, but Ales and Lagers are generally good (though I have yet to meet an IPA I've liked).

KujjieKujjieKoo
Spade Ninja

Post by KujjieKujjieKoo » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:27 pm

I really liked Anchor Brews the couple of times I've had it. SF based, should be available in your neck of the woods?

feng shweez
Inscrutable Pi

Post by feng shweez » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:47 am

As I said earlier, Anderson Valley makes what may be my favourite beer ever, though it's now out of season. (Never had any of their other fare.) Anchor is a good choice and their Steam Beer is widely available. You should find Rogue your way--an excellent brewery, though you may find many of their beers too hoppy. Also I bet you can find beer from several of the larger Colorado breweries--New Belgium and Flying Dog both come to mind.

Really, just go into the store and pick up beers you've never tried before. Sometimes they'll suck, and sometimes you'll be blown away. A good bet to start is always the sampler packs.

KujjieKujjieKoo
Spade Ninja

Post by KujjieKujjieKoo » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:59 pm

feng shweez wrote:Really, just go into the store and pick up beers you've never tried before. Sometimes they'll suck, and sometimes you'll be blown away. A good bet to start is always the sampler packs.
This is really good advice. Also... write down what you liked, what you didn't somewhere. This will be helpful knowledge a few years down the road as you refine your beer pallet more. Also useful when trying to remember which one had the good summer brew, and which you bought the same week that sucked. This is especially difficult to recall sometimes since you'll often be half drunk at the time of your decision making process.

preniqueezer
AFH

Post by preniqueezer » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:42 pm

KujjieKujjieKoo wrote: Also... write down what you liked, what you didn't somewhere. This will be helpful knowledge a few years down the road as you refine your beer pallet more.
I won't go so far as to say I disagree with this--because it *is* good advice--but I find my palate has changed pretty dramatically over the last decade. Beers I loved 10 years ago I stopped liking 5 years ago, and some beers I hated five years ago I think are fantastic now. So it's good to take some notes, but it's also good to re-try some things you didn't much enjoy to see if maybe they're good now. Or realize that you may lose your taste for some beers that you're sure you'll love forever, so enjoy them while you still enjoy them.

KujjieKujjieKoo
Spade Ninja

Post by KujjieKujjieKoo » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:54 pm

preniqueezer wrote:I find my palate has changed pretty dramatically over the last decade.
I guess I was partially thinking down that road as well. There are a lot of beers I tried early on that i didn't like at all... and now I wish i would have written down why i didn't like them. Would be nice to know the things i should give another try based on my tastes today. =)

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:17 am

I guess I need to make a "beer.txt". I'll put it in the KoL folder just 'cause.

feng shweez
Inscrutable Pi

Post by feng shweez » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:25 am

So you're saying that as I get older and more bitter I'll eventually come to love IPAs?

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Manendra » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:01 pm

So, earlier this week I was out at a bar in Wrigleyville, and we headed to a bar called that was advertising $3 "Local Beers". Among the others we tried, we were able to get this beer for $3, which I believe is about what it costs at a liquor store. And I must say, it was FANTASTIC! Probably the best imitation Belgian beer I've ever had.

StDoodle
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by StDoodle » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:54 pm

Well, I do have to give a nod to Bell's, seeing as it's about a mile and a half from my house. ;) Never actually been there though (but I've had the beer, and enjoyment of a good year's Oberon is one of the few things I have in common with my father-in-law).

I've been missing Kraftbrau more and more lately; they're working on opening their new location, and man do I miss Dunkel.

As for what I actually drink, it's usually Guiness, Sam Adam's, or worse, depending mostly on budget. Which right now means Amber Bock. *sigh*

preniqueezer
AFH

Post by preniqueezer » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:33 am

I thought Goose Island went out of business about 7 years ago, when I left Chicago? Now I've gotta wonder if they reopened, or someone bought the name, or what. Honker's Ale made me laugh every time I drank it.

Can't tell you how much I miss being "out at a bar in Wrigleyville." Mostly I don't miss Chicago, as I'm living in a naturalist's paradise, but a few things here an there, are restaurant or two, a whole "ville" devoted to a baseball stadium, those were good things, and I wouldn't mind spending a little time there again. A girlfriend of mine lived literally a block and a half north or Wrigley Stadium at one point, and that was pretty neat, just the scene in general.

I also miss "The Great Beer Palace" which closed during my tenure there, but which also may have reopened. Though I'm sure it's not as good as the original. $3 burgers + fries plus $3 imports (not on special, just the regular fare) are impossible to find most places.

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Manendra » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:20 am

Goose Island is most certainly still around. Honker's Ale is one of my mainstay beers.

And I love going out in Wrigleyville, even though I hate the Cubs (Sox fan etc). It's just great fun. And you can't beat stuff like Wednesdays at Red Ivy: $2 Euro beers. Draught Guinness, Bass, Hoegaarden, Smithwicks, and Dos Equis (yeah, I don't know, but for some reason this is in the deal). Damn nice beer for cheap in an area that's usually $4 for a pint of Miller Lite.

williabr
Spy vs. Pie

Post by williabr » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:16 am

StDoodle wrote:Well, I do have to give a nod to Bell's, seeing as it's about a mile and a half from my house. ;) Never actually been there though
Bell's has become one of my favorite breweries as of late. I think I've got four different beers of theirs in my fridge right now, fantastic. I would love to go to their brewery.

And, yes, Wrigleyville is a great place to drink. My girlfriend is a huge Cubs fan, so we try to make a trip once a year to see a game.

preniqueezer
AFH

Post by preniqueezer » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:53 pm

Just tried Avery's Reverend this evening. Fan-tiddly-tastic. You don't find many quadurples, and while I think Avery has a tendency to overhop, this one was darn near perfect.

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Manendra » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:22 am

I just had a Bell's Amber this evening, and it was solid. It didn't "WOW" me, but it was solid. It did have some stiff competition from a Leffe Brune that I hadn't had since I was abroad, to be fair.

JMango
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by JMango » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:38 am

Paulaner Double Bock is a delicious beer. An all around sort of drinker fairly nutty and sweet.

Mostly a fan of Wheat Ales and IPAs, So of course I have to rep the local masters: Widmere for hefeweizen
and Full Sail for a range of basically good beers. However I think my favorite IPA has to be Terminal Gravity's IPA So tasty, also local.

<3 Oregon.

kevbob
Spy vs. Pie

Post by kevbob » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:05 am

i don't drink like i used to, and i live underneath a rock.

so, it's ridiculous i've only recently tried yuengling, which is now carried by walmart and is below import prices (hey, dead Sam Walton, Sam Adams is from boston. that's in america, you fucking retahd, it's not an import).

anyways, i like it.

last night, i drank one and made up a commercial for it, in my head:

Camera 1: shot of man talking->
"i don't know how the fuck a chinese guy made a brewery in philly and noone burned it down in 2 centuries, but this is a pretty fucking good beer."

cut to Camera 2: shot of man drinking beer->

Camera 1: man talking->
"That's pretty fucking good. it's not the best beer, like, that i'd kill a man in cold blood and burn his house down for. but, it's still fucking good. oh, and it's not expensive. and hey, it's at walmart. get a sixer when you're picking up diapers and rat poison."

cut to Logo and disclaimer to drink responsibly.

note: i have no idea if the brewer is/was chinese. who cares? good beer.

preniqueezer
AFH

Post by preniqueezer » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:48 pm

Just tried New Belgium's Grand Cru.

Just taking a whiff of it, the first impression is: wow, bananas. Immediately followed by WOW, Nail Polish!

When you take a sip, it's immediately sweet, followed by a deep, dark sweetness like prunes or figs, followed by a banana/nail polish/sweet. Then the sweet fades, and you're left with a very pleasant aftertaste that's not so sweet and feels a bit like coffee.

Curious beer. I think I'd try it once more, but it'd take me all night to drink it.

JMango
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by JMango » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:09 am

Okay, so i was about to post "You should try Richard Cheese".

However what happened was that while I am listening to Richard Cheese radio on Pandora.com, Conjunction Junction by School house rock came up.

So Yes, Richard Cheese, but on Pandora radio.

EDIT: Wow, wrong forum.

But on an on topic note, I am fairly drunk of Desuchutes' Buzzsaw Brown.