Beers

Like the title says, anything and everything else goes here. As long as it follows the forum rules.

Moderator: Raccoon

JennyUnderpants
Cheats at Words With Friends

Re: Beers

Postby JennyUnderpants » Fri May 27, 2011 9:20 am

I admit I would much rather sniff the hops than taste them. Good to know, Eigen.

williabr
Spy vs. Pie

Postby williabr » Fri May 27, 2011 10:56 am

I really like the Oaked Arrogant Bastard. Its the arrogant bastard, but the oak smooths it out a ton. In Stone's catalog it is probably the polar opposite of Ruination, which is really tasty. I would also be all over the dry hopped, I haven't seen those available anywhere.

I'm going to a beer tasting tonight where everything is barrel aged. Just got an email with the beer list, and it looks good:

Sour Barrel Aged:

Russian River Consecration
Russian River Suplication
Russian River Sanctification
Lost Abbey Red Poppy
New Belgium La Folie
Hanssens Oude Kriek
Cuvee de Ranke
Haandbyggeriet Haandbic
BFM Abbaye de Saint Bon-Chien

Spirit Barrel Aged:

Brew Dog Paradox (4 different barrel types)
North Coast Old Rasputin XII
North Coast Old Stock Ale 2009
Lost Abbey Angels Share (Bourbon and Brandy)
50/50 Eclipse Evan Williams 2010
Allagash Curieux

Woot!

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby stupac2 » Fri May 27, 2011 11:17 am

Ugh, jealous. Even though I've had a bunch of those. Is this that place in the city?

Also, I recall liking Oaked less than normal.

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Postby thacon » Fri May 27, 2011 11:18 am

williabr wins. Can I come to your tasting instead?

williabr
Spy vs. Pie

Postby williabr » Fri May 27, 2011 11:36 am

stupac2 wrote:Ugh, jealous. Even though I've had a bunch of those. Is this that place in the city?

Yep. They really suck at announcing things ahead of time. I just found out about it yesterday. I've only had a couple of the Russian Rivers and the Allagash, so I'm really excited about it.

stupac2 wrote:Also, I recall liking Oaked less than normal.

I have an unnatural love for beers that are barrel aged or flavored with wood chips

thacon wrote:williabr wins. Can I come to your tasting instead?

Yeah, I've been really impressed with this store's tastings. They are consistently pouring good beers that I haven't had and that I probably wouldn't have bought otherwise.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby stupac2 » Fri May 27, 2011 12:01 pm

Is there a mailing list for this place? I'd like to get on it.

williabr
Spy vs. Pie

Postby williabr » Fri May 27, 2011 12:43 pm

Omri
AFH

Postby Omri » Sat May 28, 2011 3:13 pm

JennyUnderpants wrote:I admit I would much rather sniff the hops than taste them. Good to know, Eigen.

I do love the smell of hops. I just brewed my own IPA on wednesday - I'm estimating it'll come out at about 5.3% alcohol and 54 IBUs. I'd make it stronger, but I hope to share it with people who might not like hoppy beers as much as I do. I'm shooting for something that's a lot like Sierra Nevada, but hoppier in both taste and aroma (I'll be dry hopping), and with just a tad more malt backbone.

If anyone is in the Cincinnati area around 4th of July (around when the beer should be done), or for the next few months, let me know and I'll let you try some.

williabr
Spy vs. Pie

Postby williabr » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:05 pm

Omri wrote:If anyone is in the Cincinnati area around 4th of July (around when the beer should be done), or for the next few months, let me know and I'll let you try some.

I'm in Cincinnati right now. BREW FASTER!!

JennyUnderpants

Postby JennyUnderpants » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:14 pm

I went shopping today after I was nearly killed by an errant ladder on the highway. I thought of you guys. When I saw the beer I mean, not when I was nearly killed.

Tiny beer! Look how cute! And hoppy beer I can't handle.

I would have taken a picture of the Incredibly Huge Wall of Beer, but I was too entranced. Sorry.

slaphappy snark
Widdle Fudge Bunny

Postby slaphappy snark » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:23 pm

I have the imperial stout from that tiny rogue series in my fridge. I haven't tasted it yet (maybe later tonight) but it does kind of seem like a perfect size for an imperial stout, at least on a weekday. :)

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Postby Manendra » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:44 pm

stupac2 wrote:Levitation is Jick's favorite, and it's a pretty good red. If you like reds you'll probably like it.

One of the funny things about Stone is that their beers are pretty pedestrian. You can get equivalent beers from a lot of different places. The exception is, in my mind, Ruination. Also, this could be the contempt of familiarity going, these are so easy to get here that I haven't ever had to try to get one. I'll definitely be going after their RIS, and the stupidly limited (<700 bottles) barrel-ages RIS, though.

Levitation is one of the best reds I've had, probably because it's one of the hoppiest.

The Stone '08 Bourbon Barrel Aged RIS was one of the best beers I've ever had. I mean, seriously, wow.

Omri
AFH

Postby Omri » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:46 am

My beer about a week ago!

JennyUnderpants

Postby JennyUnderpants » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:33 pm

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby stupac2 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:24 pm

Oh man, this thread. I like beer! I'm drinking a Pliny right now, it's delicious.

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Postby Eigenbasis » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:49 am

Thanks Jenny, that's a great list. The ultimate food/beer pairing guide is the book The Brewmaster's Table by Garret Oliver (brewmaster at Brooklyn Brewery). It also has a great history of beermaking and it goes in depth about the different beer cultures in the world and how styles developed.
"Have you ever heard the expression, ‘When life gives you lemons, make lemonade, and then throw it in the face of the person who gave you the lemons until they give you the oranges you originally asked for?’"

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Postby Manendra » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:07 pm

Went to the beer store with the lady friend today. Our haul:

Hers:
Victory Hop Wallop
Victory Summer Love
Tyranena Scurvy
FoundersRed Rye Pale Ale
Bells Oarsman
Boulevard Tank 7

Monk's Cafe

Mine:
Tyranena Scurvy
Bells Oarsman
Furthermore Oscura
Deschutes Twilight
Goose Island Matilda
Stone Levitation

Two Brothers Askew

Hooray beer!

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby stupac2 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:35 pm

You call that a haul? YOU CALL THAT A HAUL???? Bask before my (and snark's) glory:

http://imgur.com/HGG94
http://imgur.com/JMpYB
http://imgur.com/h9uXQ

Among others:
4-pack KBS
Hunahpu's
Bourbon County Brand Stout (2009)
BORIS the crusher
World Wide Stout
8 (EIGHT) Parabola

Oh, and today snark and I went to a bar re-opening and the bartender cracked a BCBS Rare and shared it. A taste of heaven, it was.

slaphappy snark
Widdle Fudge Bunny

Postby slaphappy snark » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:40 pm

I call Manny's a haul and want to try some Askew and Tyranena, tbh.

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Postby thacon » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:54 pm

Woo, Matilda! In other news, I put in an application today on an apartment around the corner from my favorite beer shop. That's going to be dangerous.

williabr
Spy vs. Pie

Postby williabr » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:32 pm

stupac2 wrote:Oh, and today snark and I went to a bar re-opening and the bartender cracked a BCBS Rare and shared it. A taste of heaven, it was.

Nice, I really wanted to go to that.

slaphappy snark
Widdle Fudge Bunny

Postby slaphappy snark » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:56 pm

williabr wrote:
stupac2 wrote:Oh, and today snark and I went to a bar re-opening and the bartender cracked a BCBS Rare and shared it. A taste of heaven, it was.

Nice, I really wanted to go to that.

I thought it was fantastic even before the Rare. Great beers that you just don't see on tap, plus I got to watch stu burning the crap out of his mouth with habanero sculpin.

top1214
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby top1214 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:57 pm

I went to a bar on Sunday that had the Boulevard Tank 7 on tap. Was not much of a fan. That was the second of their "Smokehouse Stack Series" that I had tried and found underwhelming. Maybe I'm just not much of a fan of high ABV beers.

slaphappy snark
Widdle Fudge Bunny

Postby slaphappy snark » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:31 pm

top1214 wrote:I went to a bar on Sunday that had the Boulevard Tank 7 on tap. Was not much of a fan. That was the second of their "Smokehouse Stack Series" that I had tried and found underwhelming. Maybe I'm just not much of a fan of high ABV beers.

In my (pretty limited) experience, beers can be almost intolerably boozie at 9% or super delicious with only a little heat at 13%. It seems to depend quite a lot on what else is going on in the beer, but I couldn't tell you what, exactly. I can tell you that if you like bourbon, you should look for something aged in a bourbon barrel--those tend to be high abv and deliciously bourbon-y, so that could be a good test of whether it's the abv or the beer.

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Postby Eigenbasis » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:37 pm

The majority of Belgian beers I've had (and also their equivalent styles made by Unibroue and Ommegang) are not boozy at all, despite being 7-10% ABV.
"Have you ever heard the expression, ‘When life gives you lemons, make lemonade, and then throw it in the face of the person who gave you the lemons until they give you the oranges you originally asked for?’"

top1214
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby top1214 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:47 pm

The Belgian ones (high ABV beers -Ed.) I've had I have enjoyed. The non-Belgian ones have not been to my liking.

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Postby Manendra » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:27 am

Yeah, the boozy taste really depends on the beer. Natalie had the Tank 7 last night, but I didn't actually get a chance to ask her how it was.

Snark: Yeah, Tyranena makes some good beers. I also really like the name "Bitter Woman IPA." As I said on Untappd, Askew was super sour, but really good. Also, it makes me think of Kevin Smith...

Omri
AFH

Postby Omri » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:17 am

stupac2 wrote:You call that a haul? YOU CALL THAT A HAUL???? Bask before my (and snark's) glory:

http://imgur.com/HGG94
http://imgur.com/JMpYB
http://imgur.com/h9uXQ

Among others:
4-pack KBS
Hunahpu's
Bourbon County Brand Stout (2009)
BORIS the crusher
World Wide Stout
8 (EIGHT) Parabola

Oh, and today snark and I went to a bar re-opening and the bartender cracked a BCBS Rare and shared it. A taste of heaven, it was.

Wow, that's impressive. I'm really jealous of the BCBS Rare. I've had BORIS before and it's quite good.

Oh, and by the way, I'm on vacation in Los Angeles now, so I finally get to try Pliny the Elder and Younger! I also picked up a beer called Maharaja that's supposed to be pretty fantastic, as well as Firestone Double Jack. I haven't gotten to try any of them yet though. Any other beers I should try while I'm here?

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby stupac2 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:08 am

Not Younger, as I detailed last night! But I may as well report some of that here, so others can see it.

Definitely look out for anything by Alpine and Kern River. They're both fantastic. Their IPAs are what you really want to try, for Kern that's Just Outstanding, for Alpine Nelson, Pure Hoppiness, Exponential Hoppiness, and Duet. I haven't had any of their other offerings, but I think they're more "good" rather than "exceptional".

Alesmith's Speedway Stout is highly rated, as is their Yulesmith (summer, it's a DIPA). Their Wee Heavy is supposed to be good, and I think their Barleywine (Old Numskull) is too. But I haven't had either of those.

That's all I can think of right now.

TrueEeviL
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby TrueEeviL » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:13 pm

Eigenbasis wrote:60 Minute is good, but I'm not paying $11/6 pack for it when I get get Southern Tier IPA, 2XIPA, or Flower Power for cheaper. Of course, DFH can get away with those prices since they're already producing at max capacity.

Flower power yes, Southern Tier no. The IPA is pretty good, the 2x is better, but both worse than 60min IMO. I'm also fighting with Southern Tier because I got an Oak Aged Unearthly and it is either the worst beer ever, or something went horribly wrong inside that bottle -- I don't want to spend another $8-9 to find out which it was. Although, once I can actually get my hands on a Pumking in 3 months we will probably be on speaking terms again.

Also, I can't find Flower Power to save my life, even when I was *IN* Ithaca 2 weeks ago (Ok, fine I didnt go to the Brewery, but still Wegmans should have had it).

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Postby Eigenbasis » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:53 pm

Wegman's has it maybe 30-40% of the time. Finger Lakes Beverage Center, the main beer shop in town, always has it. Interestingly the convenience store in Collegetown started carrying it, so assuming they keep doing that I'll always have a supply. As for Southern Tier's IPA and 2XIPA, I'll admit I like them more than most. To each his own. Unearthly is a bit weird (just because it's sweet I guess) but I'm glad I tried it once.

jtay
Woodpuzzle

Postby jtay » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:01 pm

Is anyone into fruity beers? I've tried a few different blueberry beers with little enjoyment; however, I had a Pyramid Apricot Ale and found it to be very tasty (and different). It's probably going to be one of the first ones I buy when I turn of age in the U.S.
Ingame: WoodPuzzle (#972449)

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Postby thacon » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:50 am

I wouldn't say that I'm into fruity beers, but I had Ithaca's Apricot Wheat last month and it was pretty good. Apparently apricot is a good flavor for beer.

NardoLoopa
Market Manipulator

Postby NardoLoopa » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:06 am

Had some Elderberry beer in London that was enjoyable.

slaphappy snark
Widdle Fudge Bunny

Postby slaphappy snark » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:51 am

Pyramid Apricot Ale was one of the only beers I thought was all right before I started finding styles that I really liked. If you're anything like me, try some stouts, sours and maybe Belgians (and not just the fruity ones).

williabr
Spy vs. Pie

Postby williabr » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:08 pm

I was actually a little impressed with the pyramid apricot and how much it tasted like dried apricots. I also had a blueberry stout a while back (Dark Horse in MI, I think?) that I thought was ok.

Also, I really loved the Southern Tier oaked Unearthly. But I have an unnatural love for beers that have the oak/barrel flavor. It was a bit of a funky beer since ST's IPAs tend to be a bit on the sweeter side.

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Postby Eigenbasis » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:24 pm

Ithaca had a beer on tap called Rough Draft, which was a revamped version of Apricot Wheat with real apricots and Fuji apples. It was pretty good, light and refreshing.

I do like kriek and framboise, although those are pretty different from most American fruit beers.

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Postby thacon » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:02 pm

I picked up a couple bottles of 120 Minute yesterday. I fully expect to hate it, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to try it. The friendly shop owners told me that it has taken them 20 months to get 120 Minute in stock.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby stupac2 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:50 pm

thacon wrote:I picked up a couple bottles of 120 Minute yesterday. I fully expect to hate it, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to try it. The friendly shop owners told me that it has taken them 20 months to get 120 Minute in stock.

That's because Dogfish Head had to destroy last year's batch. None was made for nearly 2 years, so it's not even a little bit surprising they weren't getting any in.

Omri
AFH

Postby Omri » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:37 pm

Watching the Reds game on ESPN tonight - just finished a bomber of Firestone Double Jack - a pretty standard DIPA, but definitely good. I'm drinking a "Just Oustanding" right now, and its name is quite appropriate. Certainly a great IPA. I went to a Whole Foods near our hotel that says they get a new shipment of Pliny the Elder on Tuesday, so I'm planning on picking some of that up. I also picked up a rye beer by a brewery called, well, "The Brewery" called Rugbrod (one of those weird o's with a slash through it - stupid forums not liking weird characters). I love Rye beers, so I look forward to trying this one.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby stupac2 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:08 am

It's actually "The Bruery". The founder's name is "Rue", so it's a play on his name.

And yes, Just Outstanding lives up to its name (although it's named after a bike path). I can't wait until Kern gets big enough to distribute up here.

Also, you should definitely go after Alpine too. Their IPAs are just as crazy good.

Omri
AFH

Postby Omri » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:17 pm

As you can probably guess, I didn't end up going to SF. I think I might be in the area in early October for a software development conference though!

I did end up finally getting to try Pliny the Elder (on draft, as well). While it was certainly a great beer, it was a bit overhyped, and I wasn't really feeling like beer at the time, so it wasn't the greatest experience. I think the best beer I had there was the Maharaja made by Avery.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby stupac2 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:35 pm

Man, I was super disappointed by Maharaja. I think it's sort of what you're used to, people rave about Three Floyd's IPAs but I really disliked all of them. I guess I'm on the very far end of the "dry-sweet" scale, so the super-dry west-coast IPAs like Pliny, Just Outstanding, and Alpine's are my favorites by far.

williabr
Spy vs. Pie

Postby williabr » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:10 am

Omri wrote:I love Rye beers, so I look forward to trying this one.

New Holland makes an ipa called Mad Hatter. They also make a couple variants of it. On of those variants is called Rye Hatter. Its super good if you like rye. It came out in June and its a limited release, so possible not many (or any) left. But if you see it, you should grab it

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Postby Manendra » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:31 pm

Founders Red's Rye PA is probably my favorite Rye beer. Two Brothers Cain and Ebel is also a good Rye, though I don't know how far they distribute.

Omri
AFH

Postby Omri » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:03 pm

Manendra wrote:Founders Red's Rye PA is probably my favorite Rye beer. Two Brothers Cain and Ebel is also a good Rye, though I don't know how far they distribute.

I've had both of these on draft, and they're definitely fantastic. I'm a huge fan of Founders, and I look forward to getting to try KBS sometime.

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Postby Manendra » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:18 pm

It just so happens that I'm drinking a Founders Red Rye right now. Yum.

Some of the more interesting bottles I've got at the moment, since I'm here: BEER!

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby stupac2 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:37 pm

Raspberry Tart needs to be half as sweet and twice as tart. Founders' Blushing Monk was way, way better.

And KBS is delicious. I'm surprised you haven't had it, living in Ohio. I thought it was all over the place there...

I tend to like Rye beers, so I should probably seek some of those out. Also, Barry, an IPA that came out in June is going to be kind of weird, given how much the hops will have faded by now.

Omri
AFH

Postby Omri » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:22 pm

stupac2 wrote:And KBS is delicious. I'm surprised you haven't had it, living in Ohio. I thought it was all over the place there...

I only heard about it first from you guys, and it apparently sells out really, really fast even here.

williabr
Spy vs. Pie

Postby williabr » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:00 pm

stupac2 wrote:Also, Barry, an IPA that came out in June is going to be kind of weird, given how much the hops will have faded by now.

The rye was the bigger flavor in the beer, but that is still probably accurate.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby stupac2 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:21 pm

I just got a six-pack of Red's Rye in the mail, so that should be fun to drink over the coming weeks.

I also got this other stuff. Warning, you might want to get a towel to wipe up all the drool: http://i.imgur.com/10eGc.jpg

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Postby Manendra » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:55 pm

Eh, I had Weyerbacher Simcoe on tap recently, I can get Founders whenever, I've never heard of Lancaster... Best part of that picture is Theo staring at the camera.

slaphappy snark
Widdle Fudge Bunny

Postby slaphappy snark » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:00 pm

brb said he looked like he was defending his hoard.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby stupac2 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:13 pm

Manendra wrote:Eh, I had Weyerbacher Simcoe on tap recently, I can get Founders whenever, I've never heard of Lancaster... Best part of that picture is Theo staring at the camera.

Not jealous of Dark Lord or Splinter Black or 120 Min?

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby stupac2 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:24 pm

Another day, another box: http://i.imgur.com/ituOz.jpg

(That's a different Dark Lord).

Omri
AFH

Postby Omri » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:11 pm

stupac2 wrote:Another day, another box: http://i.imgur.com/ituOz.jpg

(That's a different Dark Lord).

That one looks amazing. Is the one on the far right a homebrew? What kind?

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby stupac2 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:39 pm

"Belgian DIPA".

transplanted_entwife
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby transplanted_entwife » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:42 pm

Okay, I know virtually nothing about beer but I love that bottle design.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby stupac2 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:29 am

Mmmm, beer: http://i.imgur.com/IqgUh.jpg

Also, TE, which bottle?

williabr
Spy vs. Pie

Postby williabr » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:18 am

stupac2 wrote:Mmmm, beer: http://i.imgur.com/IqgUh.jpg

I like to think that you are stockpiling BCBS Rares and Dark Lords to use as currency in the event of a zombie apocalypse.

Also, I'm going to be in Cincinnati next month (at least once, maybe twice), so I'm planning on bringing a second suitcase to bring back some goodies.

Jaelith
Pie in the Sky

Postby Jaelith » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:35 pm

Happy summer, everyone.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby stupac2 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:18 pm

Just wait until Con, then you will know beer.

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Postby thacon » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:37 pm

We got our beer list for the wedding:

Bottles:
Six Point Sehr Crisp (Can)
Boont Amber Ale
Southampton Keller Pils
Peak Organic Fall Summit Ale
Ithaca Nut Brown
Lionshead Pilsner
TBD Porter
TBD Pilsner

Draft:
Oskar Blues Mama's Little Yella Pils
Stone Arrogant Bastard
Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye
Left Hand Milk Stout
Southampton Double White
Captain Lawrence Kolsch
Ballast Point Calico Amber
Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Sumpin'

There should be something there for everyone.

williabr
Spy vs. Pie

Postby williabr » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:15 pm

thacon wrote:We got our beer list for the wedding:

Looks like it will be a killer party

slaphappy snark
Widdle Fudge Bunny

Postby slaphappy snark » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:39 am

williabr wrote:Looks like it will be a killer party

Agreed! That's a fantastic beer list!

Omri
AFH

Postby Omri » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:48 pm

williabr wrote:
stupac2 wrote:Mmmm, beer: http://i.imgur.com/IqgUh.jpg

I like to think that you are stockpiling BCBS Rares and Dark Lords to use as currency in the event of a zombie apocalypse.

Also, I'm going to be in Cincinnati next month (at least once, maybe twice), so I'm planning on bringing a second suitcase to bring back some goodies.

Let me know when you're here.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby stupac2 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:51 pm

Someone sent me a KBS as an extra today (along with my THIRD BCBS Rare...) and since I'd been hankering one I drank it (well, I drank one of the 4 that was in my fridge, and replaced it with the hot, shaken-up one). And... man, disappointed. I remember this being so much better, but compared to Parabola or BCBS it's just lacking the delicious bourbon flavor. The coffee is a nice addition... but not nice enough to make up for it.

It's still good, it's just not what I remember, which is sad.

NardoLoopa
Market Manipulator

Postby NardoLoopa » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:49 pm

thacon wrote:We got our beer list for the wedding:
. . .

What time should we show up?

williabr
Spy vs. Pie

Postby williabr » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:52 pm

Omri wrote:Let me know when you're here.

Looks like it will be Sep 11th through the 16th. We should meet for a beer. I'll be working in Kenwood, so I'll already be in the northern chunk of the city.

stupac2 wrote:It's still good, it's just not what I remember, which is sad.

That is sad.

slaphappy snark
Widdle Fudge Bunny

Postby slaphappy snark » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:36 am

williabr wrote:
stupac2 wrote:It's still good, it's just not what I remember, which is sad.

That is sad.
I had one a couple of nights ago, and it was interesting to drink it in the context of having had some other great beers, which wasn't really true when we tried the one from you a few months ago. I'm a fan of coffee, unlike stu, and I thought it was a nice change to have a bourbon-aged beer that was a little more subtle, especially since the bourbon that was there melded so well with the coffee. On the other hand, I love to drink something that tastes like I might as well be licking the inside of a bourbon barrel, as I have previously stated, probably more than once.

Return to “Anything and Everything”