Beers

Like the title says, anything and everything else goes here. As long as it follows the forum rules.

Moderator: Raccoon

Omri
AFH

Re: Beers

Postby Omri » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:09 am

williabr wrote:
Omri wrote:Let me know when you're here.

Looks like it will be Sep 11th through the 16th. We should meet for a beer. I'll be working in Kenwood, so I'll already be in the northern chunk of the city.

Definitely. When it gets to be about that time, I'll get back to you with when I'll be free.

NardoLoopa
Market Manipulator

Postby NardoLoopa » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:45 pm

Fat Tire just hit VA -- only in bombers right now, though. In other news there was 5.8 earthquake here the day it arrived.

preniqueezer
AFH

Postby preniqueezer » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:28 pm

Got to be a volunteer beer runner at beerfest yesterday. Beer runners walk around and get pitchers of beers to deliver them to the judges, so the judges don't know which beer is which. Then I helped the judges with anything left over after their samples.

In total, I fetched 10 pitchers of beer, and for that work I, got in an hour before opening, had my $25 entrance fee waived, and got to try about 25 different beers from around the 4 corners region. Oh, and some free food. Good times!

I'm also in talks with a new friend who's half serious about starting his own brewery. Trying really hard to convince him he should do it, and let me help.

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Postby Eigenbasis » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:24 pm

Ithaca Brewfest next Saturday, Sept. 3. Anyone in or near the upstate NY area should come!
"Have you ever heard the expression, ‘When life gives you lemons, make lemonade, and then throw it in the face of the person who gave you the lemons until they give you the oranges you originally asked for?’"

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Postby thacon » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:33 pm

Nardo and preni, that's awesome and I'm jealous. (Not about the hurricane. That sucked) Eigen, my local beer shop tweeted that they had Flower Power in stock, but they were sold out by the time I got there. They said it sold out in just under four hours.

NardoLoopa
Market Manipulator

Postby NardoLoopa » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:43 pm

New Belgium Trippel: WOW

I think I've found my new love.

Verdigris97
Colonel Contest

Postby Verdigris97 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:52 pm

NardoLoopa wrote:New Belgium Trippel: WOW

Yeah, I thought it was pretty darned good! I wish we had more around here...

top1214
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby top1214 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:18 pm

Have you tried the 1554? Me, 1554, and Trippel; my favorite menage a trois.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby stupac2 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:58 pm

How about Allagash's Curieux? It's a bourbon-barrel-aged tripel. Absolutely fantastic, the only tripel I've really liked.

preniqueezer
AFH

Postby preniqueezer » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:42 pm

Yeah, Trippel is fantastic. I've sipped from a keg of that stuff, and gone home very happy. Not as happy as the time I got to taste one of the very last kegs of Transatlantique (their glorious cherry lambic) from a weird underground grotto at a party I was crashing, but few experiences get that special, or that surreal.

I'm also partial to their Sunshine and Wit, but wimpy wheat beers don't make it far with most hop-heavy beer fans. I suspect the newly released Belgo (Belgian IPA) will go over well. I like the Belgian character, but the IPA is too hoppy for me.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby stupac2 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:29 am

I've yet to try a Belgian IPA that I've thought was worth drinking twice. Same with black IPA. And I love IPAs.

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Postby Manendra » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:26 pm

thacon wrote:We got our beer list for the wedding:

Bottles:
Six Point Sehr Crisp (Can)
Boont Amber Ale
Southampton Keller Pils
Peak Organic Fall Summit Ale
Ithaca Nut Brown
Lionshead Pilsner
TBD Porter
TBD Pilsner

Draft:
Oskar Blues Mama's Little Yella Pils
Stone Arrogant Bastard
Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye
Left Hand Milk Stout
Southampton Double White
Captain Lawrence Kolsch
Ballast Point Calico Amber
Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Sumpin'

There should be something there for everyone.

That is damn impressive.

I can't compete with the quantity there, but my brother's rehearsal dinner is going to have an interesting couple beers if the last pieces fall into place. Our attendance at many many Fulton Beer events has led to us knowing a couple of the brewers fairly well. So they've agreed to infuse a keg of their Blonde with grapefruit and a keg of their IPA with orange peels. I've had both infusions and they're fantastic.

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Postby thacon » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:28 am

That sounds great, Manny. Did they let you choose what you wanted infused?

Omri
AFH

Postby Omri » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:52 pm

stupac2 wrote:I've yet to try a Belgian IPA that I've thought was worth drinking twice. Same with black IPA. And I love IPAs.

I second this statement, although I haven't had many (in fact, maybe not any, I can't really recall) black IPAs.

I like Belgians, and I like IPAs, but I don't like Belgian IPAs.

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Postby Eigenbasis » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:29 pm

I've had one Belgian IPA (Flying Dog Raging Bitch) and I liked it. A Little Sump'in Wild is one of my favorite beers, and it's a very hoppy pale Belgian - almost close enough to a Belgian IPA for me.

Only had one black IPA, and it was fine. But it wasn't as good as a good porter or a good IPA. Keep 'em separated!
"Have you ever heard the expression, ‘When life gives you lemons, make lemonade, and then throw it in the face of the person who gave you the lemons until they give you the oranges you originally asked for?’"

Verdigris97
Colonel Contest

Postby Verdigris97 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:01 pm

Omri wrote:
stupac2 wrote:I've yet to try a Belgian IPA that I've thought was worth drinking twice. Same with black IPA. And I love IPAs.

I second this statement, although I haven't had many (in fact, maybe not any, I can't really recall) black IPAs.

I like Belgians, and I like IPAs, but I don't like Belgian IPAs.

In my really limited experience, a good IPA is bitter and clean, maybe a touch of sour (grapefruit?), which doesn't tend to mix well with sweet and smooth (belgian) or burnt and earthy (dark or black). The few Black IPAs I've tried have been okay, but aren't great from either perspective.

Kinda like chocolate and orange: Why ruin two perfectly good flavors to get something mediocre?

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Postby Eigenbasis » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:56 pm

Chocolate with candied orange peel is amazing.

slaphappy snark
Widdle Fudge Bunny

Postby slaphappy snark » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:45 pm

Eigenbasis wrote:Chocolate with candied orange peel is amazing.

We should send you some Black Butte XXIII.

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Postby Manendra » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:21 pm

thacon wrote:That sounds great, Manny. Did they let you choose what you wanted infused?

yeah. If it were just my brother and I, we would have gotten their Russian Imperial Stout through a randall of cherry bark, vanilla beans and coffee beans. But we figured the grapefruit lonely blond would be a bit more accessible. We wanted accessible and stuff we already know is good. Going experimental is a bad idea for a thing like a rehearsal dinner. :P

williabr
Spy vs. Pie

Postby williabr » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:47 pm

Manendra wrote:Russian Imperial Stout through a randall of cherry bark, vanilla beans and coffee beans.

I would gladly approach that. Does that make it more approachable?

top1214
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby top1214 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:15 pm

I think this is the first time I'm having it warm; it's even better!

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Postby Manendra » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:05 pm

I just got back from a trip to Chicago via Madison. My fridge is embarrassingly full of beer right now.

The haul:

New Glarus Cran-bic
New Glarus IIPA
New Glarus Smoked Rye Ale
New Glarus Black Top
New Glarus Staghorn
Ale Asylum Hopalicious
Half Acre Daisy Cutter
Wild Onion Hop Slayer
Furthermore Oscura
Furthermore Knot Stock
Potosi Pure Malt Cave Ale
Lake Louie Kiss the Lips IPA

I have some delicious times ahead!

Jaelith
Pie in the Sky

Postby Jaelith » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:43 pm

Manendra wrote:Wild Onion Hop Slayer

I am hoping this one is as good as its name, which I sort of adore.

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Postby lotsofphil » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:32 pm

I don't drink much at all, but my method of keeping track of AFH forums makes me lurk this thread. I had Blanco Diablo from Big Boss in Raleigh. I liked it very muchly.

Omri
AFH

Postby Omri » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:59 pm

williabr wrote:
Omri wrote:Let me know when you're here.

Looks like it will be Sep 11th through the 16th. We should meet for a beer. I'll be working in Kenwood, so I'll already be in the northern chunk of the city.

Oh man, sorry it took me so long to remember that you're here this week! The only day I'm free this week is tomorrow (Wednesday), and I doubt you'll be checking this before I leave for work tomorrow morning (and I have no internet at work). If you do check this thread before then and tomorrow is good, send me a message with your phone number so we can get in touch. I'll check before I go to work tomorrow morning.

On another note, consider staying in town longer - the second largest Oktoberfest in the world is going on in Cincinnati this weekend.

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Postby Manendra » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:33 pm

Omri wrote:On another note, consider staying in town longer - the second largest Oktoberfest in the world is going on in Cincinnati this weekend.

I hope it's better than the Cincinnati Hofbrauhaus. Once you go to the one in Munich, imitations just don't do it for ya.

williabr
Spy vs. Pie

Postby williabr » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:22 am

Omri wrote:Oh man, sorry it took me so long to remember that you're here this week! The only day I'm free this week is tomorrow (Wednesday), and I doubt you'll be checking this before I leave for work tomorrow morning (and I have no internet at work). If you do check this thread before then and tomorrow is good, send me a message with your phone number so we can get in touch. I'll check before I go to work tomorrow morning.

Yesterday was pretty much the only day that I was too busy to look at forums, so I completely missed this. Maybe next time. I come back to Cincinnati every few months for one reason or another

Manendra wrote:I hope it's better than the Cincinnati Hofbrauhaus. Once you go to the one in Munich, imitations just don't do it for ya.

In my eyes, the Hofbrauhaus here is just a nice place to drink outside. Other than that, it isn't all the exciting. The Oktoberfest is pretty nice, since Cincy has such a German heritage.

I was actually considering staying a few more days since we were supposed to be closing on our house in N. KY this weekend, but the closing is potentially getting delayed a few days, so it wasn't worth paying the fee to change my flight.

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Postby thacon » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:57 pm

Our honeymoon hotel was awesome and I can't say enough good things about them, but their idea of "craft beer" is way off the mark. They said that they'd send up a complimentary bottle of champagne and selection of craft beers.

top1214
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby top1214 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:34 pm

thacon wrote:Our honeymoon hotel was awesome and I can't say enough good things about them, but their idea of "craft beer" is way off the mark. They said that they'd send up a complimentary bottle of champagne and selection of craft beers.

Corona is a craft beer! In that you have to paste it w/lime in order for it to be less skunky.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby stupac2 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:18 pm

thacon wrote:Our honeymoon hotel was awesome and I can't say enough good things about them, but their idea of "craft beer" is way off the mark. They said that they'd send up a complimentary bottle of champagne and selection of craft beers.

Was the champagne actually Perrier?

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Postby thacon » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:58 pm

I'm sure it wasn't fancy stuff, but the champagne was pretty good and they accidentally gave us two bottles. We know nothing about champagne, so we enjoyed it.

preniqueezer
AFH

Postby preniqueezer » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:03 pm

With dinner I had the Hacker-Pschorr Weisse, which just might be one of the most difficult to pronounce beers for non-German speakers. Like the last time I had it, about a year ago, I said to myself "this has got to be one of the best beers I've ever had!" Then I followed it up with the Weisse Dark, to which I said (both times) "And this is even better!"

I just started homebrewing again, so as soon as I get into the swing of things I'm going to try to make a clone of one of those two beers, because they're exactly what I like in a beer.

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Postby Manendra » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:57 am

Speaking of homebrewing, apparently President Obama has taken an interest in homebrewing as well! That's pretty cool!

TrueEeviL
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby TrueEeviL » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:29 pm

Eigenbasis wrote:A Little Sump'in Wild is one of my favorite beers, and it's a very hoppy pale Belgian - almost close enough to a Belgian IPA for me.

(continues rant about how its not even close to last years in the bombers)

Got a Pumking (finally) and a Westmalle Trippel waiting, so that's exciting. The local sports bar has Flower Power and Ruination in 12oz bottles, so this is now my favorite place; I've killed a dozen Flowers in 4 weeks, easily. Just don't do them back to back or your pallet will be very confused as to what an IPA is.

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Postby thacon » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:33 am

TrueEeviL wrote:Got a Pumking (finally) and a Westmalle Trippel waiting, so that's exciting. The local sports bar has Flower Power and Ruination in 12oz bottles, so this is now my favorite place; I've killed a dozen Flowers in 4 weeks, easily. Just don't do them back to back or your pallet will be very confused as to what an IPA is.

I finally got to try Flower Power the other day when my local shop picked up a keg for growlers. It was pretty good and pretty much exactly what I was expecting. I also tried Ithaca's Brute and it was strange - like sour patch kids and champagne in a glass. I liked it, but I don't think I could drink more than one.

Omri
AFH

Postby Omri » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:04 pm

I've tried a lot of new beers lately. The ones that have stood out are Founders Breakfast Stout (my new favorite beer... $12 for a 4-pack is PRICEY though) and Dogfish Head Punkin Ale, which is the first pumpkin beer I've actually enjoyed. I'm brewing a pumpkin ale with brown ale as the base type, and I'm hoping it turns out somewhere close to what Punkin is like.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby stupac2 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:30 pm

Omri wrote:I've tried a lot of new beers lately. The ones that have stood out are Founders Breakfast Stout (my new favorite beer... $12 for a 4-pack is PRICEY though) and Dogfish Head Punkin Ale, which is the first pumpkin beer I've actually enjoyed. I'm brewing a pumpkin ale with brown ale as the base type, and I'm hoping it turns out somewhere close to what Punkin is like.

Pffft, $12 4-pack is cheap. Have you had KBS?

Omri
AFH

Postby Omri » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:13 am

stupac2 wrote:
Omri wrote:I've tried a lot of new beers lately. The ones that have stood out are Founders Breakfast Stout (my new favorite beer... $12 for a 4-pack is PRICEY though) and Dogfish Head Punkin Ale, which is the first pumpkin beer I've actually enjoyed. I'm brewing a pumpkin ale with brown ale as the base type, and I'm hoping it turns out somewhere close to what Punkin is like.

Not yet.

I'm working on a recipe to brew my own breakfast stout for my next beer after the pumpkin ale. I'm hoping it turns out amazing.

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Postby Manendra » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:18 pm

stupac2 wrote:

Heh, I just bought a couple 4-packs of Surly Wet at $15.99/ea yesterday. (And that's because I went to the cheap store. My brother paid $17.99/ea) Woo! At least they're pint cans...

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Postby thacon » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:06 pm

stupac2 wrote:Pffft, $12 4-pack is cheap. Have you had KBS?

I haven't had KBS, but I picked up a large bottle of CBS and it was $26.

slaphappy snark
Widdle Fudge Bunny

Postby slaphappy snark » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:14 pm

thacon wrote:I haven't had KBS, but I picked up a large bottle of CBS and it was $26.
Woo, good find! Did you chase down a delivery truck or something? That beer has sounded like a huge hassle to get. (MSRP was $18 or $19, I think, so $26 sounds like it's easily within the range of normal big city markup.)

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Postby thacon » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:25 pm

Good to know I didn't get gouged too badly. There's a great beer shop around the corner from my apartment and I go there pretty regularly. They told me they were getting in a shipment and my wife was nice enough to pick me up a bottle while I was at work. (They sold out within a couple minutes)

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby stupac2 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:15 pm

thacon wrote:Good to know I didn't get gouged too badly. There's a great beer shop around the corner from my apartment and I go there pretty regularly. They told me they were getting in a shipment and my wife was nice enough to pick me up a bottle while I was at work. (They sold out within a couple minutes)

That sounds about right, from what we've heard. Getting my trade set up was super easy, though.

Omri
AFH

Postby Omri » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:18 pm

Yeah, I failed to get any CBS. It was pretty much impossible.

slaphappy snark
Widdle Fudge Bunny

Postby slaphappy snark » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:42 pm

I'm going to be in Chicago this week from Wed night through Sat morning, staying at the Renaissance downtown. Any dining suggestions with good beers? I have heard good things about the Publican and would like to go to a Goose Island location, I think, but I haven't looked at where those are relative to downtown and would love some other ideas.
I don't think I'd be able to meet up with anyone, but I could try if there's anyone nearby who's interested.

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Postby Manendra » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:57 pm

The Goose Island in Wrigleyville is super easy to get to. Your hotel is a couple blocks from a Red Line station, hop on a Red Line train north (toward Howard) and get off at Addison. You'll be about a block away. And you can sightsee, since it's right next to Wrigley Field.

As for other places, I've been up in Mpls for long enough that I'm sadly not all that up to date on the Chicago beer scene. Hopleaf has great food and a great beer list, but it would be kind of a hike from downtown. Small bar is also good for beer, but none are all that close to an L stop. Depending on how dedicated you are, the Logan Square and Division ones are both walkable from the Blue Line (there's a Blue line stop near your hotel as well), just not a short walk like Goose Island is.

slaphappy snark
Widdle Fudge Bunny

Postby slaphappy snark » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:03 pm

Thanks Manny!

preniqueezer
AFH

Postby preniqueezer » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:26 pm

There used to be a place in Chicago called "The Great Beer Palace," that I really loved. Lots of beers on tap, and burgers + fries for $3.95. You could get a viking helmet for drinking 5 beers or something, too. Sadly, they went out of business years ago. Still a fantastic name for a bar, though.

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Postby Manendra » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:57 pm

So I'm going to Surly's Darkness Day at 5am Saturday, but they also throw a Darkness eve party and here's the beer list:

1) Surly Cynic
2) Suly Bender
3) Surly Furious
4)Surly Wet
5) Surly 5
6) Surly Moes Bender (tapped @8 pm)
7) Surly Darkness 2010 (tapped @ 9pm)
8) Surly Darkness 2011 (tapped @ 10pm)
9) Alaskan Perserverence
10) Breckenridge Imp Choc Stout
11) Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout 2009
12) Dark Horse Plead the 5th
13) Deschutes Abyss 2010
14) Deschutes Abyss 2011
15) Deschutes Black Butte XXIII
16) Deschutes Obsidian Nitro
17) Flying Dog Barrel Aged Gonzo 2009
18) Founders Breakfast Stout
19) Founders KBS 2010
20) Goose Island Bourbon County Stout 2010
21) Goose Island Night Stalker (2009 I believe)
22) Great Divide Chocolate Yeti
23) John Henry
24) Leinenkugels Big Eddy 2010
25) New Holland Dragons Milk
26) North Coast Old Rasputin
27) Stone Belgo Anise RIS
28) Stone Bourbon Barrel RIS 2008
29) Stone Double Black IPA Anniversary
30) Stone 2010 RIS
31) Tyranena Dirty Old Man
32) Weyerbacher Old Heathen

All I can say is Jesus Fuck! I don't think I'll be able to make it, sadly, but damn.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby stupac2 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:20 pm

The only thing there I'm really jealous of is the Stone BBA RIS. For some reason CA taxes BA beers as spirits, and to protest Stone doesn't sell anything BA here (on tap, at least, their new BA bottles only sell here). So it's just not very likely that I'll ever get to try the BBA RIS, which is too bad, because that's probably my favorite RIS so far.

Also, Manny, when is Surly going to put some Darkness in a barrel?

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Postby thacon » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:25 pm

That's an impressive beer list, Manny. Too bad you're not going. I was going to ask you to fill me up a tupperware container full of five.

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Postby thacon » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:44 pm

I tried to get Manny some flower power from my local beer store yesterday and they were sold out, so today I tried another beer store that was supposed to be good, but I had never been there. I figured I could try to pick up some flower power and also a few American Wild Ales, which I've been eager to try. It turned out they only had a single bottle of flower power left and they didn't have a single Wild Ale, but I ended up walking out with all of this. The store was pretty awesome. I need to go back sometime when I have a backpack.

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Postby Manendra » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:21 pm

stupac2 wrote:The only thing there I'm really jealous of is the Stone BBA RIS. For some reason CA taxes BA beers as spirits, and to protest Stone doesn't sell anything BA here (on tap, at least, their new BA bottles only sell here). So it's just not very likely that I'll ever get to try the BBA RIS, which is too bad, because that's probably my favorite RIS so far.

Also, Manny, when is Surly going to put some Darkness in a barrel?

I had the 08 BBA Stone RIS at a Stone release party, and it was the best stout I've ever had. Holy shit.

They usually do BBA Darkness for that Stub and Herb's party, actually. I'm not sure if it's just not listed or if they're not doing it this year.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby stupac2 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:06 pm

Huh, a recent BA thread had lead me to believe they've never barrel-aged darkness.

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Postby Manendra » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:16 pm

They had BBA Darkness today, but it the line was ridiculous, I didn't get a chance to try it.

In other news, we bought a lot of Darkness.

Now I should go back to my nap.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby stupac2 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:49 am

Manendra wrote:They had BBA Darkness today, but it the line was ridiculous, I didn't get a chance to try it.

In other news, we bought a lot of Darkness.

Now I should go back to my nap.

Nicely done.

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Postby Manendra » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:08 pm

slaphappy snark
Widdle Fudge Bunny

Postby slaphappy snark » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:24 pm

How many years before they run out of themes for Darkness labels?

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Postby lotsofphil » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:40 pm

I had a bourbon barrel aged beer for the first time last night. Quite a different experience. (Thirsty Dog Siberian Night).

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby stupac2 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:56 pm

lotsofphil wrote:I had a bourbon barrel aged beer for the first time last night. Quite a different experience. (Thirsty Dog Siberian Night).

Well? What did you think?

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Postby lotsofphil » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:31 am

I liked it but it was pretty intense. Like as if I were in college and made a mixed drink from available ingredients: chocolate syrup, coffee and bourbon.

edit: by "pretty intense" I mean "I wasn't expecting that to be going on in a beer glass."

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby stupac2 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:58 am

Yeah that sounds about right.

Omri
AFH

Postby Omri » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:59 pm

I just brewed a clone of Founders Breakfast Stout on Monday. I'm hoping it turns out well. It ran me about 95 bucks - the coffee for it was ridiculously expensive.

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Postby thacon » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:19 pm

What kind of coffee is it? Did you try brewing any to drink as just a cup of coffee?

Omri
AFH

Postby Omri » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:37 pm

The coffees used in Founders Breakfast Stout are Sumatra and Kona. Kona coffee was the really expensive one, and yes I did. It was not worth the amount it cost as far as the taste of the coffee, but it may be the best smelling thing ever.

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Postby thacon » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:50 pm

Ah, agreed. My brother brought me some coffee back from Kona and it was good, but nothing special. But speaking of special: http://www.brewbound.com/news/westvlete ... ted-in-u-s

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby stupac2 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:45 pm

7,700 packs, good luck getting any, especially with the hype that has. The only reason I think I have any shot is a really good relationship with a shop that will almost certainly get some, and even then the odds are low.

Also, Omri, why didn't you go whole hog and make some CBS?

slaphappy snark
Widdle Fudge Bunny

Postby slaphappy snark » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:53 pm

stupac2 wrote:Also, Omri, why didn't you go whole hog and make some CBS?
He still can, just needs the maple syrup bourbon barrel to put his FBS in! I hear there are a lot of those lying around.

Also, it sounds like thacon can get anything he wants by sending his wife to the bottle shop at the right time. :)

Omri
AFH

Postby Omri » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:33 pm

thacon wrote:Ah, agreed. My brother brought me some coffee back from Kona and it was good, but nothing special. But speaking of special: http://www.brewbound.com/news/westvlete ... ted-in-u-s

... Whoa...

I'm considering buying a couple of 3 gallon carboys and adding some bourbon soaked oak chips and/or maple syrup to one. But part of my trepidation is that I've never had CBS, and won't have any basis of comparison for my version.

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Postby thacon » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:38 pm

slaphappy snark wrote:Also, it sounds like thacon can get anything he wants by sending his wife to the bottle shop at the right time. :)

That's probably not too far from the truth. I live around the corner from one of New York's best beer shops and have a wife who's willing to wait outside for it to open. That said, with how limited that's going to be, I'd be surprised if the employees didn't just buy them up for themselves.

Return to “Anything and Everything”