Beers

Like the title says, anything and everything else goes here. As long as it follows the forum rules.

Moderator: Raccoon

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Re: Beers

Postby Manendra » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:28 pm

Random stuff from stopping at a shop in Madison today:

New Glarus Cran-Bic (two 4-packs. The lady friend and I like it a lot. And they didn't have the IIPA.)
New Glarus Chocolate Abbey
Ale Asylum Satisfaction Jacksin DIPA
Furthermore Fallen Apple
Founders Cerise
Tyranena Dirty Old Man
Big Bay Long Weekend IPA

The lady friend added:

Bell's Cherry Stout
Ale Asylum Hopalicious
Squatters Hop Risin' DIPA
Bear Republic Red Rocket Ale

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Postby Eigenbasis » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:57 pm

I picked up a Founder's Curmudgeon and Founder's Dirty Bastard from the local shop, which the owner picked up from NYC. Red's Rye and the IPAs were too old and they didn't have any breakfast stouts.
"Have you ever heard the expression, ‘When life gives you lemons, make lemonade, and then throw it in the face of the person who gave you the lemons until they give you the oranges you originally asked for?’"

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby stupac2 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:10 pm

Cranbic is way, way too sweet. I'm hoping that NG's R&D sours are better than the normal ones.

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Postby Eigenbasis » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:24 am

By the way, those of you who like beer, and especially lambics, ought to try kombucha. It's a fermented tea (not alcoholic), and it ends up usually being sour, and carbonated, and not sweet. A place by me serves it cold in regular, ginger, and fruit flavors. Their grape flavored kombucha tasted a lot like a lambic.
"Have you ever heard the expression, ‘When life gives you lemons, make lemonade, and then throw it in the face of the person who gave you the lemons until they give you the oranges you originally asked for?’"

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Postby thacon » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:47 am

As part of my beer shop's 10th birthday celebration, they pulled a bunch of bottles out of their cellar and put them on the shelves. I was excited to find bottles of Ommegang's Ommegeddon, but they were from 2007 and the label said to age them for a maximum of two years so I didn't buy any. I did pick up a bottle of the 2008 Stone/Mikkeller/Alesmith collaboration tripel though.

Omri
AFH

Postby Omri » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:40 am

A bar in Cincy is having a "blackout" night, and they saved a case of CBS for the occasion! You can bet I'm going to be there. The rest of the lineup (from their website):

-Troeg's (Or, since it has an umlaut, would it be Troeegs? :P) Scratch Beer #48 Fest Bier (from their brewpub series!)
-Thirsty Dog barrel-aged Siberian Night, 9.7% abv
-Founders Backwoods Bastard, 10.2% abv (not black, per se, but can you blame us for wanting to tap it?)
-Dark Horse One (oatmeal stout), 8.0% abv
-Great Lakes Blackout Stout, 9.0% abv
-Smuttynose Imperial Stout, 9.8% abv
-Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout, 10.0% abv
-Southern Tier Oat (imperial oatmeal stout), 11.0% abv
-Troeg's Java Head oatmeal stout, 7.5% abv

Any recommendations on what I should have besides the CBS? I want to be able to drive home from this. I've had Blackout Stout and Black Chocolate Stout before, but that's it.

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Postby Eigenbasis » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:56 am

Definitely try Siberian Night since it's barrel-aged. Beyond that, I don't know. Great Lakes, Brooklyn, and Troeg's Java Head are all pretty easy to find in stores. Scratch #48 is a one-of beer (like all the scratch beers) so if you like Oktoberfests you should try it, otherwise pass - it will be so mild compared to the stouts of course. I can't comment on the others.

Omri
AFH

Postby Omri » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:51 am

Will do. Apparently it's the only keg of Barrel-aged Siberian Night in the city.

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Postby lotsofphil » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:06 am

If all the beers are like the Siberian Night, you'll have a hard time drinking enough to worry about driving home. It took me at least 30 minutes to drink. Also, cab/bus?

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby stupac2 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:30 am

It's actually pretty easy to drive home from these things if you go slowly. As in, something like a beer an hour. It shouldn't be hard with this, because like Eigen said you can find most of that stuff if you want to (hell, I have a few of those in my fridge right now). I'd definitely get the Siberian Night and CBS, but unless you're taking public transit or have a DD pass on everything else.

I'm sure you need no reminder, but just in case, remember that a 10% beer is not a 5% beer.

Omri
AFH

Postby Omri » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:39 am

Of course. The CBS is only going to be served in 4 oz tasters with a limit of one per person, so that will help :P

And I primarily drink strong beers, so I'm very accustomed to how things like 8-10% beers affect me.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby stupac2 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:19 pm

Omri wrote:Of course. The CBS is only going to be served in 4 oz tasters with a limit of one per person, so that will help :P

And I primarily drink strong beers, so I'm very accustomed to how things like 8-10% beers affect me.

I just wish I hadn't been blitzed from 2 pints of Pliny and a bomber of ruination (plus I think a glass of some lambic) before I got to try CBS, I barely remember what it tastes like. Oh well, snark and I will drink that bottle eventually.

Omri
AFH

Postby Omri » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:28 pm

Ouch - I've never had ruination, but I'd imagine it ruins your taste buds for anything else.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby stupac2 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:40 pm

Omri wrote:Ouch - I've never had ruination, but I'd imagine it ruins your taste buds for anything else.

Yeah, if you want to be able to taste subtleties in beers, don't drink 54 oz of DIPA beforehand. Terrible idea.

In my defense, this was tailgating before the homecoming game, and I really thought other people would want some. Or show up promptly. Whatever!

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Postby Manendra » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:40 pm

Most people tailgate with Bud Light, Miller Lite, Keystone, etc. Stupac tailgates with Pliny, Ruination and fucking CBS. Jesus christ.

I mean come on, last weekend I was just tailgating with Surly Coffee Bender. Slummin' it.

Omri
AFH

Postby Omri » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:06 pm

Manendra wrote:Most people tailgate with Bud Light, Miller Lite, Keystone, etc. Stupac tailgates with Pliny, Ruination and fucking CBS. Jesus christ.

Stupac knows what's what.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby stupac2 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:54 pm

They see me drinkin', they be hatin'.

In all seriousness the CBS was a friend's, he just shared it with a few of us who happened to be there.

top1214
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby top1214 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:18 am

stupac2 wrote:They see me drinkin', they be hatin'.

I know what they're all thinking.
I'm drunk N beer nerdy

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Postby thacon » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:37 pm

I just did a little mid-day beer shopping. The twenty isn't supposed to be all that great, but I'm a sucker for DFH and a sucker for limited brews, so there was no way I was going to pass this one up.

JennyUnderpants
Cheats at Words With Friends

Postby JennyUnderpants » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:14 pm

Somehow you get your hands on more Dogfish Head than I do. You must know something I don't know.

That, and I've really slowed down with the beer drinking. Which totally means it's time to crack one open.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby stupac2 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:01 pm

Someone on BA asked for a list from the tasting Becky and I went to yesterday, and since I already went through the effort to make it for there I thought I'd share it here as well:

Pizza Port - Poor Man's IPA
Cigar City - Black Whole
Odell - Bourbon Barrel Stout (infected)
FFF - Zombie Dust
Fullsteam - Working Man's Lunch
Jackie O's - Oil of Aphrodite
Goose Island - BCBS (2008)
Great Divide - Barrel Aged Yeti (2008)
Bruery - Burly Gourd
Lost Abbey - Cable Car (2009)
Sierra Nevada - Celebration (2009-2011)
Jackie O's - Dynamo Hum
De Cam - Oude Lambiek (~2001)
Weyerbacher - Idiot's Droll
Cigar City - Marshal Zhukov's
FFF - Alpha Klaus
Minneapolis Town Hall - Three Hour Tour
Pizza Port - Coffee Monster
Cantillon - Iris (2007)
Dogfish Head - Liquor de Malt
3F - Straffe Winter
Ballast Point - Victory at Sea
Firestone Walker 10
Firestone Walker 11
Firestone Walker 12
Firestone Walker 13
Firestone Walker 14
Firestone Walker 15
De Struise - Pannepot Grand Reserva (2005)
Cantillon - Fou' Foune
50-50 - 4 Roses Eclipse
Alesmith - BA Wee Heavy (2005)
50-50 Christian Bro's Brandy Eclipse
Dogfish Head - Olde School (2004)
Bruery - Chocolate Rain
Cantillon - Loue Pepe Kriek (2005)
Alpine - Ichabod Ale (2009)
Rodenbach - Alexander
Upland - Cherry Lambic
Founders - CBS

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Postby Eigenbasis » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:00 pm

What were the highlights?

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby stupac2 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:44 pm

Probably '09 Cable Car, Chocolate Rain, '05 BA Wee Heavy, '00 Oude Lambiek, and Fou Foune. The '08 BCBS was really good, best BCBS I've had yet, Zombie Dust is by far the best thing I've had by Three Floyds, and of course CBS was good but I've had a bigger pour of it before so it wasn't quite on my brain the same way.

Really the low-lights, as it were, are more interesting (you probably could have guessed most of that list above). Idiot's Droll was ATROCIOUS, probably the worst beer I've ever had. The Working Man's Lunch was just bizarre, as was Black Whole. The DFH Malt Liquor was pretty terrible, and the Odell Stout was quite obviously infected. So there was a lot of really standout beer, but also a lot of really bad drainpours.

slaphappy snark
Widdle Fudge Bunny

Postby slaphappy snark » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:35 pm

I basically agree with Stu on the highlights and lowlights, although I don't really remember the Wee Heavy because I had too much to drink. Of the less hyped beers (since those highlights are full of big names), I enjoyed Three Hour Tour quite a lot--coconut porter had me nervous that it would be sickly sweet, and it was really nicely balanced and highlighted the nice roasty nuttiness of coconut.

NardoLoopa
Market Manipulator

Postby NardoLoopa » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:42 pm

Anderson Valley Winter Solstice - on tap, delicious.

TrueEeviL
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby TrueEeviL » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:49 am

You guys do a Surly thing without me? All I see is AFHers with Surly on Untapped right now! Also, I'm in Cali (Irvine), so my hunt for Pliny begins.

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Postby thacon » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:49 am

Manny and I did a trade, but there was no "keep the surly away from eEe" conspiracy. Or was there? <_<

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby stupac2 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:14 pm

TrueEeviL wrote:You guys do a Surly thing without me? All I see is AFHers with Surly on Untapped right now! Also, I'm in Cali (Irvine), so my hunt for Pliny begins.

Should be able to find it pretty easily around there. Also, if I were you, I'd head up to Bruery Provisions some day.

As for the Surly party, I got a bunch of Abrasive and some Wet via an in-person trade with a dude at a beer release party. So that's why Becky and I have it.

TrueEeviL
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby TrueEeviL » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:58 am

stupac2 wrote:Should be able to find it pretty easily around there. Also, if I were you, I'd head up to Bruery Provisions some day

Yeah, went to The Bruery the first week. And started home brewing an Oatmeal Stout (not my choice), but the top blew off while I was writing this, so hope that isn't fucked. >_>

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby stupac2 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:03 am

TrueEeviL wrote:Yeah, went to The Bruery the first week. And started home brewing an Oatmeal Stout (not my choice), but the top blew off while I was writing this, so hope that isn't fucked. >_>

They're doing some specials this week, once a day (at opening) the release some special beer that's not normally available. If you're into that kind of thing you might want to go, some of them have been neat.

TrueEeviL
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby TrueEeviL » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:43 am

Still hunting Pliny; it's like a mythical treasure at this point.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby stupac2 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:48 pm

It's harder to find down there than up here. You're almost as well off if you get Alpine or Kern River IPAs (Just Outstanding, Duet, Pure Hoppiness, Nelson).

TrueEeviL
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby TrueEeviL » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:38 am

My roommate found a few 120 minutes when he went home to Ohio and they will be here shortly, so looking forward to that. I haven't got out much besides the local BevMo, but getting a car tomorrow, so hopefully I can find some awesome stuff soon.

Also, I might come to SF for GDC again. If I do, we are going out for drinks unless I'm deathly sick like last time.

top1214
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby top1214 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:14 pm

I got a Sam Adam's holiday mixpack, which had some quite good beers in it (mmm Chocolate Bock). I also picked up Brooklyn Brewery Dark Chocolate Stout. That was SO good.

slaphappy snark
Widdle Fudge Bunny

Postby slaphappy snark » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:34 pm

top1214 wrote:I got a Sam Adam's holiday mixpack, which had some quite good beers in it (mmm Chocolate Bock).
This is what my family had around for the holidays, and I enjoyed each of the varieties I tried (I skipped the two lagers and instead drank some grand marnier with cream...)

Jaelith
Pie in the Sky

Postby Jaelith » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:12 am

I have to share my sadness at just now learning that the lovely "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" statement is a total MISQUOTE. Ben Franklin actually talked about WINE:

Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy.

Maybe beer is just proof that WE love us and want us to be happy (nuzzling my Imperial IPA).

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Postby Eigenbasis » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:32 pm

Who's "Petaluma Supply Co." on Untappd?

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Postby thacon » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:52 pm

I got that friend request too

slaphappy snark
Widdle Fudge Bunny

Postby slaphappy snark » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:41 pm

Funny, stu and I got that, too, and we both figured it was a local who we'd met at a tasting or something (I work in Petaluma) until we realized they were just a random friend whore.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby stupac2 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:43 pm

Just check the number of friends, if it's >1000 then it's some random asshat who friends everyone.

NardoLoopa
Market Manipulator

Postby NardoLoopa » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:42 am

Jaelith wrote:I have to share my sadness at just now learning that the lovely "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" statement is a total MISQUOTE.

Not to mention God is for Prohibition, because as we all know in heaven there is no beer . . . that's why we drink it here.

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Postby thacon » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:53 pm

Congrats to Stu and Manny on being famous. I just updated my untappd app and saw you both prominently featured in the screenshots.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby stupac2 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:16 pm

thacon wrote:Congrats to Stu and Manny on being famous. I just updated my untappd app and saw you both prominently featured in the screenshots.

That would be because I took them, for some reason the admins can't so they always ask the Super Users. I didn't notice Manny in there, though.

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Postby thacon » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:02 pm

Fifth screenshot, he commented on your mortification check in. I'd post the picture, but I'm sitting in the airport on my phone.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby stupac2 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:59 pm

thacon wrote:Fifth screenshot, he commented on your mortification check in. I'd post the picture, but I'm sitting in the airport on my phone.

Ah right, in the notifications tab.

TrueEeviL
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby TrueEeviL » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:48 am

Ok, for real. I want an Furious and/or Abrasive. Make it happen. >:(

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby stupac2 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:03 pm

TrueEeviL wrote:Ok, for real. I want an Furious and/or Abrasive. Make it happen. >:(

Manny might be willing to trade with you. You'd need to do it quickly, though, I think Abrasive is nearly out of season.

After contacting him in #hodradio he says to e-mail him.

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Postby lotsofphil » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:20 pm

I had Furious on tap in Minneapolis a couple of weeks ago. I didn't like it much. Tasted like flowers in a not good way.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby stupac2 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:41 pm

lotsofphil wrote:I had Furious on tap in Minneapolis a couple of weeks ago. I didn't like it much. Tasted like flowers in a not good way.

That's its beauty, it's like eating a hop cone.

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Postby thacon » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:38 pm

stupac2 wrote:
lotsofphil wrote:I had Furious on tap in Minneapolis a couple of weeks ago. I didn't like it much. Tasted like flowers in a not good way.

I thought the abrasive tasted more like eating a hop cone than the furious did. I didn't find the furious too hoppy, which kind of blows my mind considering it wasn't too long ago that I couldn't stand a hoppy beer.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby stupac2 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:34 pm

When I was most recently in San Diego Port was making their fresh-hop beer, and they had pitchers of hop cones around. So I was sticking my face into them and really taking it in. A few weeks later I had some Furious, and it tasted the way they smelled, more so than any fresh hop beer I've had (including the one they were brewing at Port).

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Postby thacon » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:21 pm

Port as in Pizza Port? I'm going to be in San Diego in a few weeks and will have one night free. I was planning to go to Stone, but if there's somewhere better, let me know.

slaphappy snark
Widdle Fudge Bunny

Postby slaphappy snark » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:17 pm

When are you going to be in San Diego? Also, where? My family lives near San Diego (Carlsbad), which is great, but it makes it a little harder to hit the beer scene when we're down there. It also makes it so I'm not totally clear on where some things are relative to downtown San Diego, so take some of the below with a grain of salt.
Stone is really nice--interesting food menu, beautiful outdoor area. If you go there and have time, Lost Abbey's tasting room is right nearby and supposedly pretty great. Probably 20-30 minutes northeast of downtown SD.
I can't personally recommend it, but I also hear that Alpine (about a half hour east of downtown?) has really good food at their brewpub, and I know they make good hoppy beers. Not such good luck with the not-hoppy stuff so far, at least from bottles.
Pizza Port has tasty pizza and fun taps (Port, individual location, and guest taps), but less exciting ambience. I've only been to the Carlsbad location, which is walking distance from the beach and a cute beach town downtown, so maybe consider that if there's particularly nice weather?

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Postby thacon » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:53 am

slaphappy snark wrote:When are you going to be in San Diego? Also, where?

I'll be there February 16th-19th and I'm staying downtown right next to the convention center. Google maps says it's 15 minutes to Pizza Port and 40 to Stone. Does San Diego have public transit / affordable cabs? It would be great if I didn't have to worry about renting a car, but if not, I'll have to convince a co-worker to drive me.

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Postby thacon » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:23 am

Well this is awesome. I'm going to miss it by a few weeks, but if anyone is close by and can go, I'm very jealous.

TrueEeviL
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby TrueEeviL » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:05 am

thacon wrote:Well this is awesome. I'm going to miss it by a few weeks, but if anyone is close by and can go, I'm very jealous.

Humm, that is enticing. And Stone is amazing: the food is pricey, but the Garlic Cheddar &
Ruination soup might be my favorite thing ever. I really want to do the tour, but we didn't get in last time.

If you're planning to go to Stone when you're in So Cal, I'd gladly meet you there for some food an beer -- it's about and hour from Irvine, IIRC.

*edit* Also, Stone may or may not be my favorite brewery ever.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby stupac2 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:58 am

Agree on that soup. It was fantastic. Stone's definitely not my favorite brewery, but they make a lot of really good, and they almost uniformly make a lot of it, which is nice.

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Postby Manendra » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:21 pm

stupac2 wrote:

The homebrew kit for Furious, which the Surly brewmaster helped design, includes 8.5oz of dry hops for a 5 gallon batch. That's just an insane amount of dry hops. Along with another 4.5oz in the boil. For reference, the Rye pale we just brewed had 3oz of hops total, just .5oz of which were dry hops. So yeah, there's a reason it tastes like a hop cone.

In other news, I really want to brew that kit.

NardoLoopa
Market Manipulator

Postby NardoLoopa » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:28 pm

KBS on tap. Wow. This is exactly what I thought a bourbon stout SHOULD taste like.

preniqueezer
AFH

Postby preniqueezer » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:19 pm

I'm going to be in Vegas in a week and LA in April. Anybody have recommendations for any local brews I should try to track down at either location? Vegas I'd just try to find a bar with something on tap, LA I'd be up for a visit to a brewery or a good meal at a brewpub, if appropriate.

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Postby Manendra » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:04 am

preniqueezer wrote:I'm going to be in Vegas in a week and LA in April. Anybody have recommendations for any local brews I should try to track down at either location? Vegas I'd just try to find a bar with something on tap, LA I'd be up for a visit to a brewery or a good meal at a brewpub, if appropriate.

Vegas has at least two "brew pubs" that I'm aware of. One is Sin City Brewing, which is pretty bad. It's as kitschy and bad as you would expect a brew pub on the Vegas strip to be. But you can buy a thong with the logo, so there's that. They're at the Venetian, Planet Hollywood, and Flamingo.

If you make it to old Downtown Vegas, however, there is a surprisingly good brew pub at Main Street Station called "Triple 7." I had a really good DIPA there for under $5 for a 20+oz pour. Good prices (astounding compared to most of Vegas) and solid beer.

Other than that, most of the clubs and casino bars I was at had terrible beer, usually bottles only. Some of the divey places on the strip (Bill's Gamblin' Hall, O'Shea's) had your basic macro and import taps. Not usually anything more interesting than Bass or Guinness.
Last edited by Manendra on Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby stupac2 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:16 am

preniqueezer wrote:I'm going to be in Vegas in a week and LA in April. Anybody have recommendations for any local brews I should try to track down at either location? Vegas I'd just try to find a bar with something on tap, LA I'd be up for a visit to a brewery or a good meal at a brewpub, if appropriate.

eEe is in LA now, by April he'll probably have the beer scene down. But what I always tell people is to look for Alpine and Kern River. Their known for their IPAs though, so if you're not into that then you might want to try something else. But LA, by proximity to San Diego, gets a lot of good beer. Green Flash, Ballast Point, Alesmith, Port/Lost Abbey, Bruery, some others I'm forgetting. Depending on where you are you might actually want to hit up the Bruery, they make some crazy beers and there's usually fun stuff on tap (from what I hear, I've yet to go). It's just in Orange County, so you may not be up that way.

They also get some distribution of Russian River, but not much. I hear the sours aren't too hard to find, but Pliny is rough.

TrueEeviL
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby TrueEeviL » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:00 am

Alpine and Kern are extremely hard to find in Orange County, not sure about mid-north LA. The Bruery does have tons of cool stuff on tap; if you are near Anaheim I recommend it. Still trying to work my way up to LA, so I should have more info on that soonish.

Just got a first taste of the Younger (4.5oz pour, near bottom of the keg so take it for what you will) and wasn't blown away. It was much sweeter and had more pine flavor than the Elder. I was hoping for some crazy hops flavors, but they were underwhelming. It was still a great IIPA, but I expected more.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby stupac2 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:50 pm

TrueEeviL wrote:Alpine and Kern are extremely hard to find in Orange County, not sure about mid-north LA. The Bruery does have tons of cool stuff on tap; if you are near Anaheim I recommend it. Still trying to work my way up to LA, so I should have more info on that soonish.

Just got a first taste of the Younger (4.5oz pour, near bottom of the keg so take it for what you will) and wasn't blown away. It was much sweeter and had more pine flavor than the Elder. I was hoping for some crazy hops flavors, but they were underwhelming. It was still a great IIPA, but I expected more.

I have significantly more respect for Younger after trying it at a double IPA festival. It was so clearly the best beer there. I prefer Elder still, since Younger is very resinous and sticky and a bit sweeter, but if you consider "triple IPA" a style than the gap between Younger and any other TIPA I've had is enormous compared to Elder and some other DIPAs.

TrueEeviL
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby TrueEeviL » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:01 am

Stu, there is a ~40% chance I'll be at GDC this year (current game project /money/me driving from OC to Oakland). If so, interested in hanging out the weekend of the 10th unless I get food poisoning and vomit for 36 straight hours (again)? I'll know for sure by the 5th.

*edit* Drinking a Ballast Point Sculpin, and it's fucking delicious and a bit weird. Edit so this post directly involves beer.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby stupac2 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:13 am

TrueEeviL wrote:Stu, there is a ~40% chance I'll be at GDC this year (current game project /money/me driving from OC to Oakland). If so, interested in hanging out the weekend of the 10th unless I get food poisoning and vomit for 36 straight hours (again)? I'll know for sure by the 5th.

*edit* Drinking a Ballast Point Sculpin, and it's fucking delicious and a bit weird. Edit so this post directly involves beer.

10th of what? March? Should be easy to meet up around then.

TrueEeviL
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby TrueEeviL » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:22 pm

stupac2 wrote:10th of what? March? Should be easy to meet up around then.

Sorry, yeah, March. I'd be free all weekend since it only runs the 5th-9th. I'll keep ya updated.

TrueEeviL
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Postby TrueEeviL » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:07 pm

Turns out I couldn't get my stuff done, I don't have the money, and 7 hours is a long time. I still love you though :/

NardoLoopa
Market Manipulator

Postby NardoLoopa » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:48 pm

Sam Adams: Alpine Spring Lager -- really tasty. And I pretty much hate the entire SA line, because it all tastes the same to me.

Jaelith
Pie in the Sky

Postby Jaelith » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:26 pm

I haven't had a beer jump out at me as "Really Effing Good" in a while, but this one did, so I will share: Gemini, by Southern Tier Brewing Company. Seasonal release I think? Surprised me for being not as hoppy as I usually go, but still quite tasty. Try it if you can find it!

Return to “Anything and Everything”