Should I buy a Macbook

Like the title says, anything and everything else goes here. As long as it follows the forum rules.

Moderator: Raccoon

Buy Macbook?

Yes
41%
No
59%

Total votes: 17

dvmaprezson
Fie the Pie

Should I buy a Macbook

Post by dvmaprezson » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:00 am

Yes/No? Why? Why not?
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/dvmaprezson/AFHV2.gif[/img]

lostcalpolydude
Forum Maestro

Post by lostcalpolydude » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:07 am

What do you use your computer for? I currently have a Macbook, and I read through tons of stuff today about the changes to the systems, so I could probably tell you if something really doesn't have what you want. With new systems coming out, now might be the best time to get a used system, or something along those lines. If all you actually need is something to run a web browser, and/or this isn't going to be your primary computer, then something cheaper might be better.
bmaher: Softcore character
lostcalpolydude: Hardcore character (abandoned)

Turias
AFH

Re: Should I buy a Macbook

Post by Turias » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:17 am

dvmaprezson wrote:Yes/No? Why? Why not?

Yes! But asking a question like this on an internet forum will just bring about people loving or hating on them. You should just pop by an Apple Store yourself and try one out.

QuantumNightmare
AFH

Post by QuantumNightmare » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:33 am

Friends don't let friends go mac.

feng shweez
Inscrutable Pi

Post by feng shweez » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:46 am

I find I can't justify the price of Mac laptops. I don't mind with Mac desktops though.

Not sure why that is.

In any case: Follow your heart!
[url=http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/9392/nootrosforumslk9.gif][img]http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/9392/nootrosforumslk9.gif[/img][/url]

dvmaprezson
Fie the Pie

Post by dvmaprezson » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:57 am

Well I like the user interface on macs way more than I like Windows' UI. Also they just seem to do everything a little better, for example, the coverflow in iTunes. Runs like shit on my current machine, but smooth as butter on any macs I have played with. I'd be going with a used one, ideally spending 600-700. I have seen some of the particular one I am looking at not sell at 800, so I figure 700 is reasonable since they are now last generation macs. Lastly, it would be a secondary computer, because I need something mobile, and it would probably get fairly heavy use from me.

lostcalpolydude
Forum Maestro

Post by lostcalpolydude » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:12 pm

If that's your price target, and you know you like the UI, then yes, get one. My only alternative recommendation would have been something like the EEE PC, but for a bit more it seems worthwhile to spend on the UI and most likely better hardware.

The "old" Macbooks also have the advantage of having Firewire still (removed from the new systems for some unknown reason, unless you spend a bunch more money).
bmaher: Softcore character
lostcalpolydude: Hardcore character (abandoned)

VladimirPootin
AFH

Post by VladimirPootin » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:39 am

speaking as a tech person who "went mac" a year ago -

someone like me, whose dual occupations are serious programming and audio engineering, should buy a mac. it's not even a question any more - i can run any OS on it flawlessly, and any dev tools are fast as shit because the macs are well engineered.

more importantly, os x actually works for audio software. windows still doesn't really work that well (i have never been happier about anything than when i vowed never to record in windows again).

but other than people like me, for whom the choice is just a no brainer, it's just personal preference and what you are willing to pay for. if you buy a mac what you get for your money is basically:
- flawlessly integrated hardware and software (huge deal for media work)
- can run os x, windows, or linux. or whatever. os x on generic hardware is possible but i wouldn't do it. os x has its pluses and minuses, but seeing as how vista is one of the worst pieces of software i have ever laid eyes on, i'd say it's pretty great
- os x has underlying unix, which is pretty sweet if you are like me and are going to set up cron jobs or public key rings or command line tools. 99% of mac users though, are not like me. i mean os x is from my point of view a "better" OS for many reasons, but XP works pretty well.
- sex appeal - hey it's shiny.
- good support - i would have said the opposite a few weeks ago, but apple finally acknowledged they shipped bad GPUs with their units and is fixing them all for free and refunding anyone who got charged to have anything related fixed before they came out with the news that they were fixing it for free.

if those things are worth paying double price for to you, i would get a mac. if not, i wouldn't.

most annoyingly for me is that with the new macbooks, they have dropped firewire support. that kind of sucks; means basically the end of firewire (guess usb 2.0 won).
Last edited by VladimirPootin on Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
[b]AFH: Now with more [i]new and improved[/i] moral ambiguity![/b]

VladimirPootin
AFH

Post by VladimirPootin » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:44 am

dvmaprezson wrote:Runs like shit on my current machine, but smooth as butter on any macs I have played with.

this runs like shit on my 2.4GHz Macbook pro with graphics acceleration, so... basically itunes is a piece of shit.

Sometimes it takes like 3 minutes to come up!
[b]AFH: Now with more [i]new and improved[/i] moral ambiguity![/b]

Malaidar
Pie in the Sky

Post by Malaidar » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:23 am

I bought a MacBook almost 2 yrs ago and have loved it. As long as you don't plan on doing any gaming, it's a great way to go.

dvmaprezson
Fie the Pie

Post by dvmaprezson » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:02 am

Macbook it is. I'm going secondhand, as I can't afford to drop a grand+ on a computer right now.

Think this is the one I'm gonna buy. We agreed at 700.
Apple White macbook in fantastic condition, except for a small chip in the top case. This chip is typical of the Macbook (due to the lid design).

I am including a Macbook Pro 80 Watt power supply in place of the Macbook 60W supply because the first one went bad. The updated design has a stronger power cable that won't fray.

Specs:

?Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz
?2 GB DDR2 667MHz memory - upgradable to 4gb
?80GB hard drive
?Apple Leopard OS X 10.5.4

Software Included:
?Adobe CS3 (Photoshop, Illustrator, Bridge, Dreamweaver, Flash, In Design, Acrobat Pro)
?Parallels Desktop with Windows XP image
?Microsoft Office 2008
?Apple iLife 08
?Apple iWork 08
?Transmit
?Quicktime Pro

Two people are also offering to sell to me for 675, one with a 2.0ghz processor, and one with a 2.2ghz processor. If I can get them down to 625 or lower, I'll buy one of those.

TrueEeviL
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by TrueEeviL » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:07 pm

lostcalpolydude wrote:EEE PC

I made a laptop? :roll:

VladimirPootin wrote:this runs like shit on my 2.4GHz Macbook pro with graphics acceleration, so... basically itunes is a piece of shit.

Yeah, they need to fix ****.

Dvma, if this was a Desktop discussion I could write an essay about this and how Apple needs to die, but, laptops are different.

As vlad alluded to Mac's are well engineered due to the low number of interchangeable parts and it all being internally controlled -- including the OS. In Desktop cases this, well, fucking sucks. But here you can squeeze out more performance. And every bit helps at this price point.

I could write more, but there is no real point. For everyday use a MacBook will be fine, despite me voting no out of principle.

dvmaprezson
Fie the Pie

Post by dvmaprezson » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:32 pm

Almost bought one today. Holding off, I think I can get people to go lower. My goal is to get one for 600.

dvmaprezson
Fie the Pie

Post by dvmaprezson » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:33 pm

Got one today for 500. CHA CHING!

It's all ghettoed up, lol. I'm gonna have to fix that.