Bold Predictions for the 2009 NFL Season

Like the title says, anything and everything else goes here. As long as it follows the forum rules.

Moderator: Raccoon

KujjieKujjieKoo
Spade Ninja

Bold Predictions for the 2009 NFL Season

Post by KujjieKujjieKoo » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:09 am

Give me 3 bold predictions for the upcoming season. These things might get you called crazy today, but just might be true before the year ends!

1) Both Mannings miss the playoffs.
2) Houston Texans make the playoffs.
3) Adrian Peterson gets less than 1000 total yards.

TrueEeviL
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Re: Bold Predictions for the 2009 NFL Season

Post by TrueEeviL » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:38 am

KujjieKujjieKoo wrote:1) Both Mannings miss the playoffs.
I'll give you #2 and #3 as possible. Texans have talent and AP could get hurt. The Giants and Colts are too good to both miss.

Unless a Manning goes down for the year, this doesn't happen.

I'll toss in my hat on the insanity:

1) The Lions win more games than the Broncos.

2) The Chargers go 15-1 and make it to the AFC championship game.
2)a. Its their year!
2) b. but fall apart late against the Steelers.

3) Percy Harven is the Rookie of the Year helping the Vikings to a 12-4 season. They lose in the NFC championship game to the Eagles. Favre returns..or does he? No, he does. I think.

Almost 4) Eagles Steelers superbowl.

4) Steelers repeat.

5) Matt Cassel has the lowest QB rating in the NFL among QBs who started at least 8 games.

6) Ohio States Beats USC this weekend. Wait. Not even I'm THIS stupid. Forget that. USC rolls 38 - 17 and the Big Ten still thinks they can play football.

Hoopity
AFH

Post by Hoopity » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:11 pm

1. Bills go 3-3 in their division.

2. No team runs a successful bit of wildcat offense.

3. Michael Vick starts.

MonsterERB
AFH

Post by MonsterERB » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:17 pm

KujjieKujjieKoo wrote:Give me 3 bold predictions for the upcoming season. These things might get you called crazy today, but just might be true before the year ends!

1. No way in hell.
2. Possible, but unlikely.
3. Possible if he gets hurt, otherwise he'll probably come closer to 2,000 than 1,000 yards.

Here are mine:
1. Brett FAV-RUH and the Vikes are the most-hyped team in the league, picked by some to make the Super Bowl... and miss the playoffs.
2. The AFC West has one team with 13 wins (Chargers), and 3 teams with 5 or less wins (Chiefs, Broncos, Raiders)
3. Super Bowl is Patriots versus Packers. Patriots dominate. MERB (a Pats hater) cries bitter, sorrowful tears into a mug of warm beer.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/dvmaprezson/AFHV1.gif[/img]

Awsomo
Spy vs. Pie

Post by Awsomo » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:28 pm

MonsterERB wrote: Here are mine:
1. Brett FAV-RUH and the Vikes are the most-hyped team in the league, picked by some to make the Super Bowl... and miss the playoffs.
2. The AFC West has one team with 13 wins (Chargers), and 3 teams with 5 or less wins (Chiefs, Broncos, Raiders)
3. Super Bowl is Patriots versus Packers. Patriots dominate. MERB (a Pats hater) cries bitter, sorrowful tears into a mug of warm beer.
I'd have to agree with all 3 of those. I will drink your tears of sorrow in my joyous celebration over the superbowl lol

Mine:

1. Either the Rams, 49ers, or Seahawks will win the NFC west. Arizona won't be within a game of the division title.

2.The Patriots will win the same number of games as last year but will win the division title

3. Baltimore will win the AFC north

TrueEeviL
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by TrueEeviL » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:30 pm

I just hope history repeats itself. Last year was one of the best ever. I'm thinking of the fortunes of two teams in particular: one of them won the super bowl and the other was the Patriots :twisted:

KujjieKujjieKoo
Spade Ninja

Post by KujjieKujjieKoo » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:37 pm

Wow, so much hate for my Mannings pick! They are bold predictions after all, but it's not so far fetched...

Giants:
... Spagnuolo, gone.
... Burress, gone.
... Ward, gone.
... Giants ended their season on a 1-4 streak. (once teams learned how to defend without Burress)
... The sole win was in OT.
... Manning failed to reach 200 yards in any of those games.
... Ward was by far their best rusher during that time, who, is still gone.
... The defense will be relied on heavily to overcome the lack of offense.
... That same Spagnuolo-less defense.
... Tough division. Even the worst team could end up 8-8.
... Tough schedule, aside from a couple of cupcake games against the AFC West.

Colts:
... Dungy, out.
... Offensive coaches who suddenly retire, then come back. How committed are they really to this team?
... Harrison, gone.
... Sanders can't stay healthy.
... Major question marks about Addai's health.
... Question marks about Wayne's ability to step up as the clear #1
... Tough division, with Houston improving and the Titans still dominant.
... Tough schedule, aside from a couple of cupcake games against the NFC West.

Lets also keep in mind since the division shuffling a few years back, less than 50% of the teams return to the playoffs the following year. Is it likely both miss? No. But we are being bold, and given all of the changes and question marks surrounding these teams plus very competitive divisions, the Mannings may very well find themselves on the couch come playoff time.

TrueEeviL
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by TrueEeviL » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:52 pm

Giants:
Still have by far the best D-line in football.
More importantly if you haven't noticed NFC Defenses arent exactly fantastic, especially in the East. They'll score enough points.

Colts:

Wayne isn't god tier (Smith, Johnson & Johnson, Fitz), but firmly in the next tier. He can be a #1. Last I checked he WAS the #1 given Harrison had 63o-whatever yards on 60 catches.
Jacksonville is a mess.
Texans have talent, but I'll believe it when I see it.
Titans have a great D, but lost Haynesworth and no way Collins has another season like that. Everyone is gonna stack the box on Johnson and White and force Collins to beat them. I don't think he will.

Colts get 4-2 in division and will finish 12-4, as usual. Giants (maybe) get a Wildcard at 10-6.

Awsomo
Spy vs. Pie

Post by Awsomo » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:35 pm

KujjieKujjieKoo wrote:... Giants ended their season on a 1-4 streak. (once teams learned how to defend without Burress)
How many of those games were outside? Eli isn't a very good quarterback in the wind and cold. which I think also goes a long way toward explaining that.

KujjieKujjieKoo
Spade Ninja

Post by KujjieKujjieKoo » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:43 pm

Awsomo wrote:How many of those games were outside? Eli isn't a very good quarterback in the wind and cold. which I think also goes a long way toward explaining that.
Good thing Eli plays his home games in NY then!

Their last 7 games are either at home, in Denver, in Washington, or in Minn. Aside from the cozy dome (in a hostile environment, and according to most posters here, against a dangerous playoff team), those are some potentially foul weather games. My case for the Giants staying home seems stronger...

lordhades15
Fie the Pie

Post by lordhades15 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:03 pm

1. Browns take a wild-card slot in the playoffs, edging out a rebuilding Ravens and a still-shitty Cincy.

2. The Saints have a breakout 2nd half of the season and make the playoffs.

3. The Eagles make a Super-Bowl run utilizing an unstoppable wildcat approach (what? they have two starting quarterbacks running around the field? Fuck!).
j12601 wrote: Turns are now sub-optimal. It is a brand new fucking day.

TrueEeviL
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by TrueEeviL » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:20 pm

lordhades15 wrote:3. The Eagles make a Super-Bowl run utilizing an unstoppable wildcat approach (what? they have two starting quarterbacks running around the field? Fuck!).
Split back:

QB: McNabb
RB: Vick
RB: Westbrook

LT: Jason Peters
RT: Stacy Andrews
RG: Shawn Andrews
LG: Todd Herremans
C: Jamaal Jackson

WR: Kevin Curtis
WR: Jeremy Maclin
WR: DeSean Jackson

That's all I'm sayin'

feng shweez
Inscrutable Pi

Post by feng shweez » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:06 am

lordhades15 wrote:1. Browns take a wild-card slot in the playoffs, edging out a rebuilding Ravens and a still-shitty Cincy.
You're insane.

The Browns are in the running for worst team in football (though after week 1, that title looks destined for ST. Louis). They certainly are the worst team in the AFC North. And while the AFC North will almost certainly have two playoff teams, there's 0 chance the Browns will be one of them.

---

So I missed this thread. And I feel like you can't make bold predictions after the season has started.

But here are my four wild card picks:
Pittsburgh Steelers
NY. Jets
Minnesota Vikings
N.Y. Giants

Which means I have only one Manning making the playoffs, and just barely.
[url=http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/9392/nootrosforumslk9.gif][img]http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/9392/nootrosforumslk9.gif[/img][/url]

Hoopity
AFH

Post by Hoopity » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:08 am

So much heartache.

Just kneel the goddamn kick return.

Fuck the pats.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:10 am

Hoopity wrote:So much heartache.

Just kneel the goddamn kick return.

Fuck the pats.
My office-mate is a big Bills fan, he'll be hearing about that game this morning.

Hoopity
AFH

Post by Hoopity » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:19 am

Among Brady fans;
Boston egos can get old.
Could have used the win.

TrueEeviL
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by TrueEeviL » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:46 am

That kickoff made me hit a wall far harder than I should have. I won that battle, but now need to fix a wall. FUCK THE PATRIOTS.

Fred Nefler
AFH

Post by Fred Nefler » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:13 pm

I guess that's why they call him Tom "Fuck you, Bills!"-iffic.

TrueEeviL
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by TrueEeviL » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:13 pm

HAHAHAHA. J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets.

Hoopity
AFH

Post by Hoopity » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:14 pm

Sweet vengeance!

TrueEeviL
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by TrueEeviL » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:52 am

I still like a Steelers Eagles Super Bowl, but I'm wavering. Going in I had:

1 Steelers
2 Ravens
3 Patriots

1 Eagles
2 Vikings
3 Saints

Right now I have (with Indy still to beat the Dolphins by roughly 257635)

1 Ravens - We all knew that they had a top 2 defense, and Flacco is having a better year than even I thought. I liked him to take the next step, but if they can get this for 14 more weeks the Superbowl goes through Baltimore.

2 Steelers - If Troy is on the field the bears lose 14 - 3. Carter was exploited all day long and the Steelers couldn't bring in their full package with #43 out. The O looked good early then started dropping balls. The only real concern is the run game.

3 JETS (WHAT?) - The Defense is as good as every thought it could be and Sanchez looks good. For now.

1 Saints - Can you score at least 40? No? Than you aren't beating Drew Brees. Move along.

2 Vikings - WHAT? Favre is 30th in the league in yards, 29th in attempts, has no INTs and is leading the league in completion %? Welcome to the NFL Bizarro Brett! Also Peterson is going to rush for 1,800 yards. At least.

3 Eagles - IF McNabb is healthy at the end of the year. Otherwise, ITS THE MIKE VICK SHOW. OH, SWEET DAY!

feng shweez
Inscrutable Pi

Post by feng shweez » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:03 am

I still stand by my Ravens - Packers SB pick. Though the offensive line is going to have to learn how to protect Rodgers. He is not Big Ben. He should not be bowled over a dozen times a game.

I also think the Bears will be the best team not to make the playoffs.
[url=http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/9392/nootrosforumslk9.gif][img]http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/9392/nootrosforumslk9.gif[/img][/url]

Turias
AFH

Post by Turias » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:04 am

feng shweez wrote:I still stand by my Ravens - Packers SB pick. Though the offensive line is going to have to learn how to protect Rodgers. He is not Big Ben. He should not be bowled over a dozen times a game.

I also think the Bears will be the best team not to make the playoffs.
The Vikes will dominate both the Bears AND the Pack this year!!!

:stupac: :stupac: :stupac:

feng shweez
Inscrutable Pi

Post by feng shweez » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:05 pm

Turias wrote:The Vikes will dominate both the Bears AND the Pack this year!!!
Quite possibly.
I just hope you trust T-Jack come playoff time...

Awsomo
Spy vs. Pie

Post by Awsomo » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:41 pm

TrueEeviL wrote:3 JETS (WHAT?) - The Defense is as good as every thought it could be and Sanchez looks good. For now.
If the ravens are really as good as you say they are then shouldn't this spot belong to the Chargers? They were neck and neck with baltimore in that game. They actually moved the ball a lot easier than the ravens, did they just couldn't finish drives. You can also throw in the fact that LT wasn't even playing (although i'm almost prepared to say that might be a good thing ;) )

I hate to say it as a patriots fan but i'm not really sure they are that good right now... Brady looks like he's afraid to take a hit and has no rythm. Their linebacking corps is really stuggling. Their running game and special teams might be their strongest aspects through the 2 weeks so far surprisingly. The Jets are good but lets not get carried away with them quite yet.

TrueEeviL
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by TrueEeviL » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:44 pm

Awsomo wrote:If the ravens are really as good as you say they are then shouldn't this spot belong to the Chargers? They were neck and neck with baltimore in that game. They actually moved the ball a lot easier than the ravens, did they just couldn't finish drives. You can also throw in the fact that LT wasn't even playing (although i'm almost prepared to say that might be a good thing ;) )

I hate to say it as a patriots fan but i'm not really sure they are that good right now... Brady looks like he's afraid to take a hit and has no rythm. Their linebacking corps is really stuggling. Their running game and special teams might be their strongest aspects through the 2 weeks so far surprisingly. The Jets are good but lets not get carried away with them quite yet.
Colt and Chargers are 3b and 3c. Chargers were beat down until the end by an Oakland team who had 83 yard of offense late in the third against KC. They always play to their opponents and lose against good teams. When the Chargers get a statement win, call me.

Pats are in serious trouble. That defense is horrible and Brady is not Brady.

MonsterERB
AFH

Post by MonsterERB » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:56 pm

KujjieKujjieKoo wrote:Give me 3 bold predictions for the upcoming season. These things might get you called crazy today, but just might be true before the year ends!

I think we can officially replace "bold" with "misguided", "insane", or "mind-bogglying, stultifyingly stupid" at this point in the season. ;-) Both Mannings head up 3-0 squads; Houston is 1-2 and playing abysmal defense, especially against the run; and Peterson is already at 413 yards from scrimmage through 3 games.
Now, my predictions aren't exactly looking great, either (Vikes miss the playoffs (ouch); Chargers have 13 wins, while Denver (ouch), Oak, and KC have 5 or less wins; Pats (ouch) over Pack in Super Bowl), but at least I didn't throw up a complete OH-FER like Kujjie-San.
My new bold predictions: the states of Missouri (Chiefs, Rams) and Ohio (Browns, Bengals) will combine for fewer wins than any of the following: Saints, Giants, Colts, Ravens. Colts defeat Ravens for AFC championship, Giants defeat Saints for NFC championship, producing an all-Manning Super Bowl Media Migraine. Giants prevail, 27-20.

lordhades15
Fie the Pie

Post by lordhades15 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:56 pm

There is no way the Giants would beat the Colts in a Super-Bowl.

TrueEeviL
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by TrueEeviL » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:09 pm

MonsterERB wrote:My new bold predictions: the states of Missouri (Chiefs, Rams) and Ohio (Browns, Bengals) will combine for fewer wins than any of the following: Saints, Giants, Colts, Ravens. Colts defeat Ravens for AFC championship, Giants defeat Saints for NFC championship, producing an all-Manning Super Bowl Media Migraine. Giants prevail, 27-20.
Im not convinced Bengals are bad. They might be good. Or mediocre. I'd say 8-8.

After this past week the power rankings are:

1. Ravens.
1A. Saints
Everyone Else

Ravens seem to be able to outgun you AND win those 14-10 slugfests.

Saints proved they can score 30 without Brees lighting it up. They might be the scariest team in football -- they won the first three by 21.3 a game. They have Jets-Bye-Giants so by the end of week 6 we will know if they are for real or just beating weak teams (and the Eagles).

feng shweez
Inscrutable Pi

Post by feng shweez » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:12 am

Ravens have Pats--Bungles--Vikes, which will be an equally good test.

Come week 6 everything will be sorted out in our heads and suicide pools will be much easier to make picks for. Of the top 10 teams, only Philly and Indy have schedules that could be considered soft over the next 3 weeks. And Indy - Ten is always a good game, independent of record.

P.S. this weekend looks awesome:
1PM - Baltimore @ New England (w/ Feng in attendance!)
4PM - NY Jets @ New Orleans
8PM - San Diego @ Pittsburgh
Mon - Green Bay @ Minnesota

I could not think up a better set of match-ups possible. (And with no annoyingly over-hyped NFC East teams to boot.)

They could all go either way (though I predict NE, NO, Pitts(?), and GB).

feng shweez
Inscrutable Pi

Post by feng shweez » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:54 am

Bold prediction:

Indy will be either 7-1 or 8-0 going into their game against New England in week 10. All the pundits will have them ranked top 3 and will be talking about Peyton Manning as the second coming of Peyton Manning.

Don't believe them. They are set up for a huge disappointment in the second half and will limp into the playoffs.

It happens every year to at least one team. This year it will be Indy.

TrueEeviL
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by TrueEeviL » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:02 am

feng shweez wrote:and will be talking about Peyton Manning as the second coming of Peyton Manning.
I loled hard.

And Jets-Saints is, IMO, the first can't miss game of the season.

TrueEeviL
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by TrueEeviL » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:21 pm

TrueEeviL wrote: 1) The Lions win more games than the Broncos.
Broncos are making me look dumb.

AND CAN THE STEELERS GET POLAMALU BACK? I CAN'T TAKE THESE FUCKING 4TH QUARTER MELTDOWNS ANYMORE. PLEASE PULL THIS GAME OUT :____:

Hoopity
AFH

Post by Hoopity » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:40 pm

Hoopity wrote:1. Bills go 3-3 in their division.
One down....

Awsomo
Spy vs. Pie

Post by Awsomo » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:50 pm

KujjieKujjieKoo wrote:Titans still dominant.
I thought the same thing at the beginning of the season, its funny how ridiculous some things look in hindsight though.

TrueEeviL
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by TrueEeviL » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:14 pm

Awsomo wrote:I thought the same thing at the beginning of the season, its funny how ridiculous some things look in hindsight though.
I had Titan's at 8-8. They lost Haynesworth who was their MVP last year and there was no way in hell Collins did that again. No idea what hapened to their secondary though...wow.

and there should be no doubt in anyones mind the Saints are the best team in the league.

Awsomo
Spy vs. Pie

Post by Awsomo » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:47 am

TrueEeviL wrote:and there should be no doubt in anyones mind the Saints are the best team in the league.
I agree they are the best in the league but I think there is definitely an argument for Indianapolis. The Saints were coming off a bye week and were at home against a Giants team who hadn't played a single good team this year (the Cowboys aren't good).

That being said the Saints do have some impressive victories while the Colts are sort of like the Giants were coming into this week, they haven't been tested.

p4n1q
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by p4n1q » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:38 am

My local station stopped broadcasting the Titans game after the first half.

WiseFather
Pie in the Sky

Post by WiseFather » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:25 am

The Patriots showed exactly why I despise them. When you have your foot on someone's throat, you don't need to jump. Throwing for almost 400 yards in a half... going for it on 4th down (twice)... When you have even a 30 point lead, the running backs should be getting the ball. Even they were torching the titans, but at least more time would have come off the clock. I know Brady wouldn't have gotten his NFL record 5 TD passes in a quarter, but damn!

As far as the secondary.. Harper has a broken arm and Finnegan isn't playing due to injury, so there are 2 rookie corners in there. That is a lot of leadership gone from the field. Griffin isn't that seasoned yet. Hope is back, but doesn't look 100%. The linebackers are trying to compensate for the lack of secondary, but when you match a linebacker to a receiver... The run defense suffers as a result and now you have the league's joke as a defense.

feng shweez
Inscrutable Pi

Post by feng shweez » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:36 am

I live in NE.

They turned off the Minnesota - Baltimore game with 1:46 left to play in the fucking shitshow NE game. I don't care if the next game is local. No station should ever turn off a two minute drill.

That is my humble opinion.

TrueEeviL
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by TrueEeviL » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:45 pm

Awsomo wrote:I agree they are the best in the league but I think there is definitely an argument for Indianapolis. The Saints were coming off a bye week and were at home against a Giants team who hadn't played a single good team this year (the Cowboys aren't good).

That being said the Saints do have some impressive victories while the Colts are sort of like the Giants were coming into this week, they haven't been tested.
The Colts need to show me they can win without Manning being at the almost silly level he is at. Maybe they won't need to, but we have seen the Saints get wins with sub 200 yard and no TD games from Brees. It was the Bills/Jets, but a win is a win. NO, IMO, can play in any type of game and have a good chance of winning. However, if you want to get in a shootout with Brees, you're going to lose.

The Colts also have an easy schedule and we wont know if they are championship good they are until they finish the Pats/Baltimore back to back (Week 10-11).

Looking at it I think it's possible for the Saints to run the table. If they beat NE and can avoid dropping one of two to Atlanta they have cupcakes. I'd be shocked if they don't win 13.

Code: Select all

@ Miami - could be a trap game.
Atlanta - quality devision opponent.
Carolina - win.
@ St. Louis - Vegas will have this at something insane. 17? 19 1/2?
@ Tampa - Josh Johnson isn't beating Brees.
New England - Tough game.
@ Washington - win.
@ Atlanta - second game against a quality devision opponent. On the road.
Dallas - should be a win.
Tampa Bay - see above.
@ Carolina - if they aren't resting and aren't 15-0 this is an easy win
I really like this team and have since 2006. I penciled them in for 12-4 each year, and have gotten that dead wrong, but I think this is their year.
WiseFather wrote:The Patriots showed exactly why I despise them. When you have your foot on someone's throat, you don't need to jump. Throwing for almost 400 yards in a half... going for it on 4th down (twice)... When you have even a 30 point lead, the running backs should be getting the ball. Even they were torching the titans, but at least more time would have come off the clock. I know Brady wouldn't have gotten his NFL record 5 TD passes in a quarter, but damn!
Now, I hate the Pats, Brady and especially Belichick more than just about anyone, but I disagree here. That second quarter is what we need to see more of. If you don't finish things off, you're asking for trouble in just about every situation. When you smell blood,, you go for the kill in the quickest and most brutal way possible.

The problem I had was Brady started the 3rd quarter, which is embarrassing an opponent that you are clearly superior to and one that has no chance to win the game. That's where I draw the line.

WiseFather
Pie in the Sky

Post by WiseFather » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:11 pm

I agree with finishing off opponents, but you don't have to pass to do it. When they let their back run, he was getting yards and moving the ball. There is no reason to throw there. It would have been funny as hell if somehow those rookie corners intercepted and ran 1 or 2 back for TDs and energized the team. Those TDs Brady threw would have been for naught if they lost the game.

I think it's just taking unnecessary chances to keep throwing the ball in situations like that. BTW.. fourth down and 50 point lead, punt the damn ball. Don't give the other team a chance of a short field (even though the Titans wouldn't have done anything with it).

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Manendra » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:40 pm

I'm with eEe here. The first half is fair game for anything. You put the team away. Putting Brady out there in the second half was not good, however. The game was over, play your backup.

And I'm of the opinion that teams should go for it on 4th down way more than they currently do. Not necessarily when you're up 50, but generally, 4th and short at midfield should not be an automatic punt.

lordhades15
Fie the Pie

Post by lordhades15 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:59 pm

I agree that playing Brady during the 2nd half was utterly classless. But then again, I really don't think much of New England in general.

In terms of the Colts. I would like to see how they do against New England and Baltimore. My personal opinion? Peyton Manning is the best single player in the NFL right now. However, one man does not make a team. And the rest of the team is built around a few stars and a ton of scrubs. I have faith in Manning, but I don't have faith in the Colts, if that makes any sense.

KujjieKujjieKoo
Spade Ninja

Post by KujjieKujjieKoo » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:03 pm

Given how poor Brady's looked in previous games, I half buy their decision to keep him out there. Establish a little more timing while the offense is clicking, get a little more confidence. Had he looked like he did 2 years ago, I'd be a little more annoyed... but when the team has struggled on offense, building on success isn't a bad thing.

I'd be more concerned with trotting him out there in that weather though. Slippery, gotta watch the knees!

Fred Nefler
AFH

Post by Fred Nefler » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:36 pm

So, I'm not much of a big football guy, but I do enjoy interesting stories. The two teams that are getting at least a small amount of my attention right now are the Vikings and the Jets. The Vikings because they have the 2nd Purple Jesus (Favre, if that's not clear). And the Jets primarily because when I stay up really late I end up watching Mike and Mike, and Greenie is a diehard Jets fan. So that kind of got me a little bit attached into seeing if they could pull off getting into the playoffs or not with the various hail mary's they've been throwing (getting Favre, then starting a rookie QB, for example), and just to see what Greenie would have to say about his team's latest successes or fuck-ups.

Both teams are doing really well right now. If I'm not mistaken, the Vikings are undefeated and the Jets have only lost one game. Would you say these teams are definitely not as good as the Colts and Saints (which seem to be the ones you guys are most impressed by)?

MonsterERB
AFH

Post by MonsterERB » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:38 pm

Fred Nefler wrote:If I'm not mistaken, the Vikings are undefeated and the Jets have only lost one game. Would you say these teams are definitely not as good as the Colts and Saints (which seem to be the ones you guys are most impressed by)?
Vikes are undefeated. Jets started 3-0, but are now 3-3.
And, regarding the whole Brady/Pats thing - anyone who expects good sportsmanship from Belichick hasn't been paying attention lately.

Fred Nefler
AFH

Post by Fred Nefler » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:39 pm

MonsterERB wrote:
Fred Nefler wrote:If I'm not mistaken, the Vikings are undefeated and the Jets have only lost one game. Would you say these teams are definitely not as good as the Colts and Saints (which seem to be the ones you guys are most impressed by)?
Vikes are undefeated. Jets started 3-0, but are now 3-3.
And, regarding the whole Brady/Pats thing - anyone who expects good sportsmanship from Belichick hasn't been paying attention lately.
Ah, then I'm very out-of-date on the Jets, then.

lordhades15
Fie the Pie

Post by lordhades15 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:40 pm

NFC, the two top teams are Vikes and Saints, hands down.

AFC, the picture is much less clear.

Hoopity
AFH

Post by Hoopity » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:41 pm

Fred Nefler wrote:Ah, then I'm very out-of-date on the Jets, then.
They recently lost to one of the sadder sad sacks in the league (Bills).

Awsomo
Spy vs. Pie

Post by Awsomo » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:30 pm

MonsterERB wrote:And, regarding the whole Brady/Pats thing - anyone who expects good sportsmanship from Belichick hasn't been paying attention lately.
Maybe I'm a hopeless Patriots defender but I have never really understood people getting in a fuss over teams running up the score. The Titans aren't a little league team with kids who aren't as grown up as the other team... They are a professional team and all their players are getting paid very handsomely for their jobs.

I've always been taught to believe that no game is over at half time. If you were good enough to be up 45-0 at half then the other team could potentially be good enough to win the second half 45-0. Looking at it that way it made perfect sense to put Brady in for 1 last series in the 3rd quarter. Also when you only have 5 incomplete passes the whole game the game moves just as fast as running the ball =P

p4n1q
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by p4n1q » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:40 pm

Awsomo wrote: I have never really understood people getting in a fuss over teams running up the score.
Every time players take the field, they are at risk of injury. Running up the score says you care more about demoralizing the other team than you do about keeping your team healthy for next week.
If you were good enough to be up 45-0 at half then the other team could potentially be good enough to win the second half 45-0.
...What?

Hoopity
AFH

Post by Hoopity » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:11 pm

I don't see how anyone can get upset over the game. Are NFL teams really supposed to take out their starters after a single half of play? Out of... pity? As much as I'm not a fan of the Pats, I can't see they did anything wrong.

Awsomo
Spy vs. Pie

Post by Awsomo » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:14 pm

p4n1q wrote:Every time players take the field, they are at risk of injury. Running up the score says you care more about demoralizing the other team than you do about keeping your team healthy for next week.
Shouldn't a team's own fans be the ones who are angry then seeing as it is their players who are at risk of injury? I don't think the patriots were trying to demoralize the titans so much as they were trying to get their own team into a rhythm for the rest of the season.
...What?
The Calgary flames were up 5-0 the other night and lost the game. The red-sox were down 3 games to 0 and came back to win the series. There have been games where baseball teams have scored 8 runs in the bottom of the 9th to win by 1. More and more insurmountable leads are toppled all the time. While I agree that we won't see a 45 point comeback any time soon I understand there is a mentality of playing hard until the end of the game in sports even if you are up by a lot.

Raccoon
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by Raccoon » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:28 pm

I too don't get this "don't run up the score" mentality. I mean, I understand the general idea that when you're up by a lot, you want to end the game more quickly by running the ball as opposed to passing. But do teams that are behind essentially give up by pulling their starters? If not, what the hell are they complaining about.

Plus, I remember one year in the early 1990s the Houston Oilers were kicking the Buffalo Bills' collective asses 35-3 by halftime -- and the Bills' #1 QB (Jim Kelly) was out. Final score: Bills 38, Oilers 35.
[img]http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u218/mad_hamish/raccoonsig.jpg[/img]

lostcalpolydude
Forum Maestro

Post by lostcalpolydude » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:43 pm

Doggie Bear wrote:Plus, I remember one year in the early 1990s the Houston Oilers were kicking the Buffalo Bills' collective asses 35-3 by halftime -- and the Bills' #1 QB (Jim Kelly) was out. Final score: Bills 38, Oilers 35.
I only vaguely remembered that game, but I thought the final score was 41-38. Which wouldn't change your point at all.
bmaher: Softcore character
lostcalpolydude: Hardcore character (abandoned)

TrueEeviL
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by TrueEeviL » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:51 pm

Doggie Bear wrote:I too don't get this "don't run up the score" mentality. I mean, I understand the general idea that when you're up by a lot, you want to end the game more quickly by running the ball as opposed to passing. But do teams that are behind essentially give up by pulling their starters? If not, what the hell are they complaining about.
Team A is up big. Team A keeps their starters in to "run up the score". Middle Linebacker of Team B gets pissed because they are humiliating them and he can't do much about it since Team A is throwing. Linebacker B gets to the QB, and aims low. Team A's QB is done for the year and the only thing you get is a 15yard penalty. That is a realistic concern. You can only humiliate someone so long until there aggression turns malicious.

Team A is up big. Team A keeps their starters in to "run up the score". Team B puts in backups and a 3rd string saftey decides to blow up a wideout to try and make a name for himself. Flag for Helmet-to-helmet is thrown, but that wideout is carted off on an immobilization board and misses 3 games with a concussion. And yes, in a route like that many teams will pull their starters to get backups experience.

The odds of someone coming back from 30 down at the half do not outweigh the odds of injury. The NFL is too fast and too brutal to keep guys out there in what is basically garbage time.

Win convincingly, but don't be a dick about it. All your doing is painting a big X on your chest.

p4n1q
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by p4n1q » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:26 am

Awsomo wrote:The red-sox were down 3 games to 0 and came back to win the series.
Being down in a series is completely different from being down in game.
There have been games where baseball teams have scored 8 runs in the bottom of the 9th to win by 1.
Baseball isn't the same as other sports because there is no clock, and so no lead is technically ever safe. In football, if you're up 84-0 with two seconds on the clock, it is literally impossible to lose.

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Manendra » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:42 am

Awsomo wrote:The Calgary flames were up 5-0 the other night and lost the game. The red-sox were down 3 games to 0 and came back to win the series. There have been games where baseball teams have scored 8 runs in the bottom of the 9th to win by 1. More and more insurmountable leads are toppled all the time. While I agree that we won't see a 45 point comeback any time soon I understand there is a mentality of playing hard until the end of the game in sports even if you are up by a lot.
The flames game was 5-0 in the first, with 40+ minutes to play. (And the Hawks are fuckin awesome. Sorry. :P)

Baseball !=football, as has been said.

In football, injury is a huge concern, and eEe is again correct about how running up the score can exacerbate that. And taking Brady out does not mean that he can't come back in if Collins suddenly finds the fountain of youth and brings Tennessee within 14 or whatever.

Raccoon
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by Raccoon » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:07 am

TrueEeviL wrote:Team A is up big. Team A keeps their starters in to "run up the score". Middle Linebacker of Team B gets pissed because they are humiliating them and he can't do much about it since Team A is throwing. Linebacker B gets to the QB, and aims low. Team A's QB is done for the year and the only thing you get is a 15yard penalty. That is a realistic concern. You can only humiliate someone so long until there aggression turns malicious.

Team A is up big. Team A keeps their starters in to "run up the score". Team B puts in backups and a 3rd string saftey decides to blow up a wideout to try and make a name for himself. Flag for Helmet-to-helmet is thrown, but that wideout is carted off on an immobilization board and misses 3 games with a concussion. And yes, in a route like that many teams will pull their starters to get backups experience.

The odds of someone coming back from 30 down at the half do not outweigh the odds of injury. The NFL is too fast and too brutal to keep guys out there in what is basically garbage time.

Win convincingly, but don't be a dick about it. All your doing is painting a big X on your chest.
Okay, I get the "avoid injury" concern. If I were a Patriots fan, I'd be worried as hell about that. But surely the losing team can't seriously complain about the winning's team exposure of its starters to injury risk!

And these teams that complain about the score being run up and about being humiliated. They actually sound like they prefer it if a team takes a knee on the 1 yard line instead of running it in for a TD. Is that really less humiliating? We could've scored on you but we're just going to keep taking a knee?
[img]http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u218/mad_hamish/raccoonsig.jpg[/img]

feng shweez
Inscrutable Pi

Post by feng shweez » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:08 am

Cincy is a mirage. Denver is the real deal.

I still don't see Denver winning a playoff game, though. The West is always the worst.

There are 8 (or so) contenders in the AFC. The battle for the wild card spots will be mighty interesting. A really good team like the Steelers, Ravens, or Jets* could easily get locked out. AFC South already has one of those spots, so the North and East have to fight for the other.

* The Jets are a good team so long as their Rookie QB doesn't look like one.

WiseFather
Pie in the Sky

Post by WiseFather » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:25 am

I never said that I had a problem with the score being run up, just the way they did it. I understand that completed passes CAN take as much time off the clock as running the ball, but 5 TD passes in 1 quarter. Has there ever been 5 TD runs in a quarter by the same team? No, it takes longer for running plays.

No, I'm not concerned with the fact that Brady or Moss could get a season ending injury as a result of playing extra. I could not care less. I think eEe illustrates my concerns better than I did. I don't want to see another "Haynesworth" on this team.

I guess the main reason behind my rant is I hate to see my team lose so badly and do nothing about it.

TrueEeviL
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by TrueEeviL » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:04 am

feng shweez wrote:There are 8 (or so) contenders in the AFC. The battle for the wild card spots will be mighty interesting. A really good team like the Steelers, Ravens, or Jets* could easily get locked out. AFC South already has one of those spots, so the North and East have to fight for the other.
If the Steelers get 2 of the next 3 (Minn, Denver, Cincy) they'll be fine. Polamalu is back, so I'm not as concerned about them falling apart in the 4th anymore.

Baltimore has no easy schedule though. I still think they're really good, but losing Ryan hurt them; that defense is in some trouble.

TrueEeviL
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by TrueEeviL » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:16 pm

So, we get some clarity this week.

Vikings are for real. People jump to Romo/Cowboys criticism too fast. Saints cannot be stopped. The Dolphins coaching staff are either legitimately insane, geniuses or hitting Ricky William's weed at meetings.
People might FINALLY realize Jay Cutler is a scrub; pro bowl QB my ass. The betting line for total yards is now Miles Austin (-40) vs Browns Offense. If Alex Smith is actually ready to put on the big boy pants then Crabstree infused 49ers are a dangerous team. LT is officially done and I will hang up that jersey until he retires. Good teams (Jets, Pats, Colts, Bengals) blew out bad teams (Raiders, Bucs, Rams, Bears). Bengals are still over performing; Jets rebound from that Bills game. Steelers are fine. Certain individuals who actually think Steve Smith (NY) is better than Steve Smith(Car) just need to go away. The Yankees need to keep Kate Hudson happy at ALL COSTS. If you have to fight any MLB player and don't want to be hit pick Nick Swisher and give him a bat. Oh, and Saints are unstoppable.

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Manendra » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:16 pm

TrueEeviL wrote: People jump to Romo/Cowboys criticism too fast. Saints cannot be stopped.
This is what I took away from the weekend. I shouldn't have picked Atlanta in Dallas. And the Saints finally had to play 4 quarters, and they got it done.

KujjieKujjieKoo
Spade Ninja

Post by KujjieKujjieKoo » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:25 pm

TrueEeviL wrote:Bengals are still over performing
I dunno... looking at their schedule 10-6 wouldn't shock me. I mean, they are the Bengals... but if Palmer stays healthy...

BYE WEEK
Baltimore
@ Pittsburgh
@ Oakland
Cleveland
Detroit
@ Minnesota
@ San Diego
Kansas City
@ NY Jets

Extra week to prep for Baltimore, plus the Ravens have a tough game this week against the Broncos. 4 cupcakes left, plus an under-performing San Diego team which might be mailing it in by that point to get Norv fired, and a rookie QB week 17 in some potentially terrible weather?

TrueEeviL
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by TrueEeviL » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:18 pm

KujjieKujjieKoo wrote:I dunno... looking at their schedule 10-6 wouldn't shock me. I mean, they are the Bengals... but if Palmer stays healthy...
They are going to go 11-5. Doesn't mean they aren't over performing; they just have a good QB.

Awsomo
Spy vs. Pie

Post by Awsomo » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:14 pm

TrueEeviL wrote:They are going to go 11-5. Doesn't mean they aren't over performing; they just have a good QB.
What do you mean by over preforming? When I watched the Bengals I see a legitimately good team. They have talent at every position on offense and their defense appears to be fast and hard hitting. That have all the pieces of an 11-5 team from what I can see.

TrueEeviL
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by TrueEeviL » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:56 am

L - Fluky play against a good Broncos team.
W - Bailed out by a false start in a close game to a good team;
W - If Polamalu plays they lose. Quality win nonetheless.
W - Against the Browns. In overtime. They should get half a win.
W - Ravens. Baltimore Self destructs. This was basically Steelers part 2.
L - Texans. Not a bad loss. Texans trap people.
W - Bears are not good and its about to start unrevealing on them.

They could be 6-1 without the weird Broncos play. They can also easily be 1-6 if *4* plays go differently. I'm not convinced that they are good, but I am convinced they are the "This team catches every break" team. If they split the Baltimore/@Steelers back-to-back, and don't get blown out by either, I'll admit they are good.

Oh, lol Ravens:

Broncos
@Bengals
@Win
Colts
Steelers
@Packers.

Good luck with that, but at least the Home/Road games aren't flipped.

feng shweez
Inscrutable Pi

Post by feng shweez » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:44 pm

Broncos -- Win (Speaking of over-performing: the Broncos defense.)
@Bengals -- Win (Bungles won't take 2 of 2.)
@Win -- Win (duh.)
Colts -- Loss (Doesn't matter where they play; the birds can never play with Peyton.)
Steelers -- Win (Ravens home field is underrated.)
@Packers. -- Toss-up (Depends completely on the trench play)

Regardless, the Ravens need to go at least 4-2 in this stretch if they want to make the playoffs. 5-1 should get them in. Tough road. But unlike every other .500 or worse team in the league, Ravens actually have the personnel to do it.

(Their last 4 are two gimmes--Lions, Oakland--one should-win--Chicago--and one tough one--Steelers @Heinz)