Girl Bands

Like the title says, anything and everything else goes here. As long as it follows the forum rules.

Moderator: Raccoon

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Girl Bands

Post by stupac2 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:44 pm

Every now and then I come to the realization that none of the music I regularly listen to is by all-girl bands. Sure, I have plenty by mixed groups (Architecture in Helsinki, The Weepies, Arcade Fire, White Stripes), and there are a few solo acts (Vienna Teng), but the vast majority is all-male and there are very few all-female. I do have a few, but usually their songs wear on me really quickly (Au Revoir Simone) or I only find a select few of their songs tolerable (Rasputina).

So I want people to recommend all-girls bands. Or mixed-sex or solo acts, since looking through my library I realize I don't even have many of those. I don't care what kind of music is it (besides country and hip-hop/rap, unless it's fairly unique for those genres as I've never liked them much).

Feel free to speculate about why this discrepancy exists as well.

Fred Nefler
AFH

Post by Fred Nefler » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:53 pm

My personal strategy has been to listen to songs in languages I don't know. Or that don't actually exist. The trite, banal, infuriating lyrics you're used to being subjected to won't be an issue and you can just enjoy the music. Maybe the song's just as dumb to those fluent in the language, but you'll never know! Unless you go asking. Which has lead me to female artists such as:

Lisa Gerrard
Cocteau Twins (well, the lead singer is female anyway)
Mizuki Nana
Kawada Mami
KOTOKO
Rie Fu
ORIGA (well, the lead singer is female anyway)
YUI

I should probably start expanding out to other languages. Most of those are Japanese. The frist two and ORIGA aren't. But I'm pretty lazy, so I tend to pick up new artists by chance of encountering them in something I'm watching, or hear a friend listening to them and decide I like it.

Raccoon
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by Raccoon » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:54 pm

80s'
The Go-Go's*
The Bangles*
Scandal
ABBA
Annie Lennox/The Eurythmics
B-52s
Bananarama*
Blondie
The Flirts*
Kim Wilde
Missing Persons
The Pretenders

90s
Belly*
The Corrs
Liz Phair
Melissa Ethridge
No Doubt
Sheryl Crow

More recent
Shania Twain
Taylor Swift
Kelly Clarkson
Michelle Branch

* = all-girl bands; the rest are solo acts or mixed bands with female lead singers

PS. On a related note, I noticed a while ago that the vast majority of my fiction books are by male authors. I've tried to rectify that a bit consciously, but there aren't a lot of female authors writing in the areas of space opera, techno-thriller, or hard-boiled mystery. I did like Chris[tine?] Moore's "Spin State" and "Spin Control," and I adored Katherine Neville's "The Eight." And there are other female authors I've tried and didn't acquire a taste for, like Helen MacInnes. Then again, the vast majority of Mrs. Raccoon's fiction books are by female authors.
[img]http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u218/mad_hamish/raccoonsig.jpg[/img]

preniqueezer
AFH

Post by preniqueezer » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:05 pm

I think I've listened to more Garbage (the band, not an adjective here) than any other group with a female lead singer.

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:07 pm

I think the only one I like on that list is the B-52s. Shiny Toy Guns is another good mixed group (admittedly I've only heard Ghost Town by them but it's a good song).

Nomen Nescio
Spy vs. Pie

Post by Nomen Nescio » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:16 pm

Well, you may or may not like Bikini Kill (they're punk rock), but I'd be remiss not to put them at the top of any list of girl bands. Some others, off the top of my head and my iTunes library:

Sleater-Kinney
Cat Power
Bela Karoli
The Cocteau Twins were only fronted by a woman, but were defined by Liz Fraser's voice. If you've ever heard the entire song they use a bit of for the theme for House (Teardrop by Massive Attack), that's her singing.
Electrelane
Forget Cassettes. Backed by men, but creatively driven by its frontwoman.
The Murmurs, one of Leisha Hailey's old bands.
PJ Harvey (she and Bjork did an awesome cover of Satisfaction at some music festival years ago, look it up)
Porlolo might be a little too folksy for you, but good enough for me to mention anyway.
Throwing Muses
Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan are a duet known for other bands they've been in, but she's written a lot of the songs and they're awesome together so I'll mention them.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:16 pm

Doggie Bear wrote:Taylor Swift
Man, really? During the summer a lot of the kids liked her and I was subjected to some of her songs a few times (what's the big hit? Love Song or something? terrible), and was thoroughly unimpressed.

I really like lyrics that are actually lyrical or poetic. And I don't mean "that rhyme", but that are complicated and you can't get all the nuance and subtlety from the wordplay on a single listen. Which is why I love Vienna Teng so much (probably my favorite artist right now). Not only is her music really interesting (and varies pretty wildly between songs), but all of her songwriting is amazing.

There two are probably my favorites of hers:

http://new.music.yahoo.com/vienna-teng/ ... -215950438
http://new.music.yahoo.com/vienna-teng/ ... -215950432

But there are so many good ones. Listening to this one at work I nearly started crying. I guess it's a good thing my fucking iPod randomly skips songs and chose that moment to do it:

http://new.music.yahoo.com/vienna-teng/ ... e--6475484

Anyway, I very highly recommend her. Kind of hilariously, darth is also a huge fan (he went to a concert of her's a few weeks ago).

PS: Would people mind posting links, especially to favorite songs? That Yahoo site seems to work well, especially if all you can find on youtube are live songs (which can be much different than recorded ones, I usually find them worse when you're not there). Sometimes it's really hard to know where to start when looking at new bands.

big_mara
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by big_mara » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:59 pm

I don't know if you've ever checked out this site, but it often gives pretty decent results: www.pandora.com.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:05 pm

I was listening to pandora before you could walk! Errr, I've known about it since it came out. I've had some success with it personally (well, that's where I found Vienna Teng, so pretty big) but it's really hit or miss, and the skipping limit makes it annoying when you hit a bad patch. Maybe I'll open my old stations and listen at work.

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Manendra » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:15 am

I will second Rac's recommendation of the Corrs. But then, I have a weakness for beautiful, talented women singing irish songs. >.>

MisterJiffy
AFH

Post by MisterJiffy » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:15 am

preniqueezer wrote:I think I've listened to more Garbage (the band, not an adjective here) than any other group with a female lead singer.
And while you're Britpopping you should check out Elastica and Sleeper too.

Ringwraith
Inscrutable Pi

Post by Ringwraith » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:57 am

A friend of mine pointed me to Imogen Heap. Which was really good, imo.

And if you liked the Macbook Air song, Yael Naim is pretty decent too(though I've only listened to "New Soul" from the album that I DL'ed <.<)

Other than that, the only female vocalist I listen to is Janis Joplin :/ And...err...indian stuff.

feng shweez
Inscrutable Pi

Post by feng shweez » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:34 am

I have the same problem. Most of my favourite acts are penis parties too. Oh well. And as an aside, I knew one of the chicks who was in Rasputina. Never liked their music much either.

Most of these are mixed acts. But whatever.

My favourite bands with a female singer:
* Arcade Fire (Indie Rock) -- Best album: Funeral
* Stars (Indie Pop) -- Best Album: Set Yourself on Fire
* Liz Phair (Angry) -- Best album: Exile in Guyville
* Taylor Swift (Pop Country) -- Best album: Fearless
* No Doubt (Pop Punk Ska) -- Best album: Tragic Kingdom
* Eddie From Ohio (Folk Rock) -- Best album: Looking Out the Fishbowl
* Dar Williams (Folk) -- Best album: Mortal City
* Zero 7 (Trip Hop) -- Best album: When It Falls
* Feist (Indie Pop) -- Best album: Let It Die
* Wye Oak (Shoegazer) -- Best album: If Children

Other bands that I like some songs by with a female singer
* Tegan & Sara (Indie Pop) -- Best Song: On & On & On
* Metric (Indie Pop) -- Best Song: Old World Underground
* Rainer Maria (Indie Rock) -- Best Song: Mystery & Misery
* KT Tunstall (Pop Rock) -- Best Song: Suddenly I See
* Kate Nash (Pop Rock) -- Best Song: Foundations

From my list, given your tastes, I would think your best bets are Stars and Tegan & Sara.
[url=http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/9392/nootrosforumslk9.gif][img]http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/9392/nootrosforumslk9.gif[/img][/url]

Mad Hamish
AFH

Post by Mad Hamish » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:39 am

Thao Nguyen is my favorite new girl artist. This video is how I was first introduced to her. The album "We Brave Bee Stings And All" is also fantastic.
Hi-keebated again? No way!

Kevlar
Inscrutable Pi

Post by Kevlar » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:42 pm

Man, I thought this was going to be a thread about TaTu and B*Witched. Dang.

How's about Helen Love, Angelica, The Donnas and Kenickie for girly fronted groups?
grrrrrrr

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:32 pm

I've been listening to pandora today, and this band came up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoosh

It's too hilarious of a concept not to listen to. And they're pretty good too! Incredible.

Raccoon
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by Raccoon » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:32 pm

feng shweez wrote:I have the same problem. Most of my favourite acts are penis parties too. Oh well. And as an aside, I knew one of the chicks who was in Rasputina. Never liked their music much either.

Most of these are mixed acts. But whatever.

My favourite bands with a female singer:
[snip].
Dude. Get with the program. You've been back in the United States for, what, close to two years now? Get that damn extra "u" out of your spelling!! 8-)
[img]http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u218/mad_hamish/raccoonsig.jpg[/img]

lordhades15
Fie the Pie

Post by lordhades15 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:37 pm

Live on Release is a short lived, but favorite all-girl band of mine.
j12601 wrote: Turns are now sub-optimal. It is a brand new fucking day.

Pantsless
Fie the Pie

Post by Pantsless » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:41 pm

Doggie Bear wrote:80s'
The Go-Go's*
The Bangles*
Scandal
ABBA
Annie Lennox/The Eurythmics
B-52s
Bananarama*
Blondie
The Flirts*
Kim Wilde
Missing Persons
The Pretenders
+1

Man, I never realized what a Golden Age the '80s was for female artists.

<Insert Golden Girls pun here>

Anyway, though I'm not generally a big fan of cuntry* music I do enjoy some of Alison Krauss's stuff enough to recommend it here.

*(I refuse to fix this typo because it is hilarious)
[quote="Serra725"]What did you use for the structural part of the bear?[/quote]

Awsomo
Spy vs. Pie

Post by Awsomo » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:45 pm

Pantsless wrote:I'm not generally a big fan of cuntry* music I do enjoy some of Alison Krauss's stuff enough to recommend it here.

*(I refuse to fix this typo because it is hilarious)
Obligatory Image

TrueEeviL
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by TrueEeviL » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:21 am

No Doubt.

Otherwise, no thanks to music that isn't Hip-Hop/AFI. And there are very few good female MCs. Iv'e been told MC Lyte is supposed to be fantastic, but never got a chance to listen to her. Jean Grae has killed it the few times I've heard her. Lauryn Hill is overrated IMO, but maybe I should listen to The Miseducation again. Missy Elliot is listenable. There are no female members of AFI to my knowledge, but since 2003 we can't be too sure. (I'm convinced they all died in the Silver and Cold video). Davey Havok might now have a vagina.

feng shweez
Inscrutable Pi

Post by feng shweez » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:20 am

Wait, let me get this straight.

The only music you listen to is Hip Hop.

OK. I get that. Cool. (I like the hippity hoppity myself. I wish I knew more of the underground stuff, to be honest, but I've never had the opportunity.)

But the one exception is AFI? You have some strange, strange, poor, strange taste. (Though I agree on the Davey Havok vagina, ofr what it's worth.)
[url=http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/9392/nootrosforumslk9.gif][img]http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/9392/nootrosforumslk9.gif[/img][/url]

DiscoNeckTed
Spy vs. Pie

Post by DiscoNeckTed » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:11 pm

Taylor Swift is Chinese.

Grrrl bands sometimes get a free ride from other chicks with poor self images.
[img]http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/3514/ervs2.jpg[/img]

rottingflesh
Inscrutable Pi

Post by rottingflesh » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:44 pm