2009-10 College Football Bowls -- who're you rooting for?

Like the title says, anything and everything else goes here. As long as it follows the forum rules.

Moderator: Raccoon

Raccoon
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

2009-10 College Football Bowls -- who're you rooting for?

Post by Raccoon » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:15 pm

Okay, I'm not going to post every single Bowl match-up, just the ones where I'm rooting for (or against) a team, along with a short explanation:

Las Vegas Bowl: Oregon State v. BYU

- There's going to be a theme here: Go Pac-10!

Poinsettia Bowl: California v. Utah

- Oh, my lame Golden Bears . . . could've been playing in a much better bowl but for losing to Washington. . . . At least it was a blow-out so that there are no "what ifs" about the game.

Emerald Bowl: usc v. Boston College

- Won't it be awesome if every Pac-10 team EXCEPT usc wins their bowl games? eEe might not think so, but I do.

Eaglebank Bowl: Temple v. UCLA (unless Army beats Navy)

- Mrs. Raccoon's alma mater gets some love from me.

Holiday Bowl: Nebraska v. Arizona

- Again, go Pac-10!

Sun Bowl: Oklahoma v. Stanford

- Yes, even with my Cal roots, I'll root for Stanford here. Oklahoma may not be that good now, but it's one of those bully schools that deserves to be rooted against.

Rose Bowl: Ohio State v. Oregon

- Big-10 is overrated, and can't count.

Sugar Bowl: Florida v. Cincinnati

- Florida is another bully school, and seeing the BCS thrown in turmoil by these lesser conference schools is a good thing.

Fiesta Bowl: TCU v. Boise State

- TCU played a tougher schedule. Other than Oregon, did Boise State beat anyone good?

BCS Championship: Alabama v. Texas

- Uhhhh. I don't want to wish injury on anyone, so can I hope instead that both teams rack up major NCAA violations and get put on probation for the next 5 years?
[img]http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u218/mad_hamish/raccoonsig.jpg[/img]

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:58 pm

"Bully schools"? What does that even mean?

Also if there's enough interest I'll create a bowl pick'ems league for the clan.

Raccoon
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by Raccoon » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:24 pm

Eigenbasis wrote:"Bully schools"? What does that even mean?
Oh, I use that to mean schools that win all the time, and often by beating up loser teams in their own, unbalanced conference, or even weaker non-conference teams. So, I consider Florida, Alabama, Ohio State, Nebraska, Oklahoma, USC, Michigan, Notre Dame, Miami, and Florida State to be bully schools. Obviously, some of those are historical bullies, as opposed to present-day bullies.
Also if there's enough interest I'll create a bowl pick'ems league for the clan.
Sounds good to me.

slaphappy snark
Widdle Fudge Bunny

Post by slaphappy snark » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:46 pm

Doggie Bear wrote:Oh, I use that to mean schools that win all the time, and often by beating up loser teams in their own, unbalanced conference, or even weaker non-conference teams.
I feel like it should be more about the attitude, which I think is also reflected by part of your list of bullies. Honestly, teams often can't help that they are much stronger than a lot of their conference, but they (and their fans) don't have to be nasty about it.
Edit: I mainly agree with Raccoon about USC and the Florida schools, and I think that the Big-10 attitude is normally pretty healthy.
Last edited by slaphappy snark on Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:54 pm

I think there's a difference between, say, Ohio State and a team like USC. I would call USC a bully school. They tend to run up the score on their opponents when they get the chance. Their players tend to be lacking in the tact department and make inflammatory comments and get into altercations. I would put Miami (FL) into this category as well.

Ohio State, on the other hand, plays in a weak conference and therefore tends to have a strong record (lately). Ohio State still practices restraint though and has been known to take a knee rather than embarrass their opponent. (Ignore that whole Wisconsin choking incident.) But what do I know? I'm just a biased Buckeye :)

edit: begone you smiley

p4n1q
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by p4n1q » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:13 pm

After his Heisman season, Troy Smith said in an interview that his favorite play to run was taking a knee.

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:14 pm

The only inflammatory comments you'll here from a UM fan is how you stole the national championship from them in 2003 with that BS pass interference call. :P

p4n1q
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by p4n1q » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:02 pm

I drove up to Ann Arbor to see the OSU/UM game at the Big House in 2001. Despite my protests, my group left rather late, because a friend of mine at UM said he knew a place we could park that was very close to the stadium. However, once we arrived, the guy's driveway was already full of cars, as was his front lawn. My friend somehow convinced me to park my car (which had both an Ohio license plate as well as Ohio State University decals in the window) in the driveway of a total stranger. We ran back to the car as soon as the game ended, and I was thrilled to find absolutely no vandalism whatsoever.

That made me feel somewhat guilty later, as Michigan Week makes it pretty common in Columbus for cars with Michigan plates to get keyed or have their taillights smashed out. As an alum, it is even more frustrating, because most of the trouble comes not from OSU students, but from high school kids or visiting students from other colleges.

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:08 pm

I have nothing against the fans. It's Miami's thug players I have a problem with. (Although that seems to have died down after Coker left)

ETA: I'm glad I'm not the only OSU alum in here. I was afraid I was going to have to defend OSU myself. I agree with you though, most of the really bad behavior was perpetrated by non-students. OSU students do tend to lose their minds during Michigan week though.

Raccoon
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by Raccoon » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:06 pm

One reason Big-10 teams don't run up the score is that their boring, slow, ground-based "offenses" can't score that many points in 60 minutes . . . .

I'll grant that Ohio State and Michigan aren't quite as obnoxious as the others (and I realize I forgot to include Texas in that list), but one mark of a bully is beating up on weaklings but then getting taken to the woodshed by people who stand up to you. Thus, note Michigan's 5-12 record in Bowl Games under Bo Schembechler.

p4n1q
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by p4n1q » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:23 pm

In the Big Ten, they have this thing called "defense," which is a technique used to prevent the opposing team from scoring points.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:42 pm

p4n1q wrote:In the Big Ten, they have this thing called "defense," which is a technique used to prevent the opposing team from scoring points.
Did you watch the Nebraska/Texas game? Now that's a defense!

p4n1q
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by p4n1q » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:50 pm

That was an amazing game in many ways. Words cannot express how badly I wanted to watch Colt McCoy bite it and lose the game by throwing the ball out of bounds as time expired.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:55 pm

p4n1q wrote:That was an amazing game in many ways. Words cannot express how badly I wanted to watch Colt McCoy bite it and lose the game by throwing the ball out of bounds as time expired.
No no no, Suh sacking him as time ran out would have been far more amazing.

Speaking of which, why is he not in the Heisman talk? Watching that game all I could say was "Holy fuck! That was amazing!" Remember the play where the guard was still blocking him and he reached out with one arm, wrapped it around the RB, and threw him to the ground like he was a rag doll? That was probably the most athletic play I've seen this season.

p4n1q
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by p4n1q » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:00 pm

Suh is one of the finalists, but they pretty much just give it to a QB or RB now.

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:11 pm

Now? How many defensive players have ever won? One?

p4n1q
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by p4n1q » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:29 pm

Charles Woodson won it as a CB and Desmond Howard won it as a WR. If you go back far enough, there are a whole bunch of halfbacks who won it.

Raccoon
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by Raccoon » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:37 pm

p4n1q wrote:In the Big Ten, they have this thing called "defense," which is a technique used to prevent the opposing team from scoring points.
Huh. I'll have to see how effective this technique is against the Oregon offense. You see, in the Pac-10, we tend to sport multiple dimensional offenses -- running as well as passing.

p4n1q
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by p4n1q » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:40 pm

Too bad Ohio State doesn't get bonus points for not playing guys who throw suckerpunches and then try to jump into the stands to attack fans. I'll bet Oregon is sorry they let Ron Artest go to St. John's.

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Manendra » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:55 pm

I would enjoy a bowl pool.

...I think I'll stay out of the Big Ten sucks/doesn't suck discussions. :P

TrueEeviL
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Re: 2009-10 College Football Bowls -- who're you rooting for

Post by TrueEeviL » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:52 pm

Doggie Bear wrote:Emerald Bowl: usc v. Boston College

- Won't it be awesome if every Pac-10 team EXCEPT usc wins their bowl games? eEe might not think so, but I do.
They have no gamebreaking talent besides McKinght. Carroll has made bad moves all year. That said, there fucking way that USC loses this game. I will be in a state of utter shock and dismay.

Can I go so far as to blame UCS's shitty-ness did somekind of karma transfer to injure Polamalu, as he's one of the four best (Put them in any order) to ever put on a USC uniform? Fine, it's probably the Madden cover (fuck your shit Fitzgerald), but I can defer blame all day.

...I swear if LeBron ever signs an NFL deal I will personally...I'm not even going to finish it, but it doesn't end well for EA Tiburon.
thacon wrote:I think there's a difference between, say, Ohio State and a team like USC. I would call USC a bully school. ... But what do I know? I'm just a biased Buckeye :)
Sorry they bully you around even when they are in a down year. Then again, not like Ohio St has done anything in big games in a while, so you can't blame USC for your sucking.
Wait..are you claiming Big 10 can play Defense better than SEC teams? GTFO.
p4n1q wrote:I'll bet Oregon is sorry they let Ron Artest go to St. John's.
Let's give Mr. Blount a break here. Is is an anrgy person with too much aggression and stupidity, not justifiably insane.

KujjieKujjieKoo
Spade Ninja

Post by KujjieKujjieKoo » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:59 pm

TrueEeviL wrote:it doesn't end well for EA Tiburon.
Dude, they're right down the road from you now. Go give them hell anyway. =)

TrueEeviL
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by TrueEeviL » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:28 am

KujjieKujjieKoo wrote:Dude, they're right down the road from you now. Go give them hell anyway. =)
Well, let's get a job before I offend people who can pay me >_>

TrueEeviL
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by TrueEeviL » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:28 am

Heisman is closing in and I am damn excited. I firmly believe McCoy will win it, but Suh is so fascinating that I want him to win. More Importantly can Pittsburgh pull off a trade and get him? I don't care what it takes, just do it! ;_:

Predicted Order:

1 McCoy
2 Gerhart
3 Suh
4 Ingram
5 Tebow

MonsterERB
AFH

Post by MonsterERB » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:25 am

p4n1q wrote:Charles Woodson won it as a CB and Desmond Howard won it as a WR. If you go back far enough, there are a whole bunch of halfbacks who won it.
Slight correction: Charles Woodson won it as a CB who occasionally played on offense and returned kicks, IIRC. The Heisman has never gone to a pure defensive player.
It should be renamed: "The Heisman (for the best QB/RB who played on a team that finished in the top 5 in the BCS Ranking) Award".

1990 Ty Detmer BYU Quarterback
1991 Desmond Howard Michigan Wide Receiver
1992 Gino Torretta Miami Quarterback
1993 Charlie Ward Florida State Quarterback
1994 Rashaan Salaam Colorado Running Back
1995 Eddie George Ohio State Running Back
1996 Danny Wuerffel Florida Quarterback
1997 Charles Woodson Michigan Cornerback
1998 Ricky Williams Texas Running Back
1999 Ron Dayne Wisconsin Running Back
2000 Chris Weinke Florida State Quarterback
2001 Eric Crouch Nebraska Quarterback
2002 Carson Palmer USC Quarterback
2003 Jason White Oklahoma Quarterback
2004 Matt Leinart USC Quarterback
2005 Reggie Bush USC Running Back
2006 Troy Smith Ohio State Quarterback
2007 Tim Tebow Florida Quarterback
2008 Sam Bradford Oklahoma Quarterback

Not a lot of stellar pro careers in there. Ricky Williams, Eddie George, Carson Palmer, and Charles Woodson have been outstanding; Bush has a good start to his career, Leinart and Dayne were able to make some contributions... but oh boy, are there a lot of absolute NFL busts in there.
As far as the bowls? I'm rooting for Mizzou to beat some other team in whatever pissant bowl they qualified for, and I'm rooting for TCU and Boise State to put up a 65-63 quintuple OT thriller. Other than that, I'll occasionally watch some college FB, if chips/salsa are available and the couch isn't occupied. :wink:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/dvmaprezson/AFHV1.gif[/img]

williabr
Spy vs. Pie

Post by williabr » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:03 pm

Sugar Bowl is the only game I care about. I want to see Cincinnati beat the crap out of Florida and finish with a perfect season.

I especially want to see them do it now that Brian Kelly left Cincinnati to coach for Notre Dame.

p4n1q
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by p4n1q » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:45 pm

MonsterERB wrote: It should be renamed: "The Heisman (for the best QB/RB who played on a team that finished in the top 5 in the BCS Ranking) Award".
http://pbfcomics.com/?cid=PBF078-Nautical_Awards.jpg

TrueEeviL
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by TrueEeviL » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:13 pm

The Heisman is a bigger disgrace than the fucking BCS. I can't even believe this happened.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:14 pm

TrueEeviL wrote:The Heisman is a bigger disgrace than the fucking BCS. I can't even believe this happened.
Ingram winning isn't that bad. McCoy would have been worse. Gerhart was my choice (duh), and Suh would have been awesome because he probably deserved it most.

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Manendra » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:58 am

Ingram winning is not a surprise. Gerhart and Suh both deserved it a lot more, but Ingram is in the SEC, so he will win shit. I'm glad Tebow got no votes to speak of.

p4n1q
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by p4n1q » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:28 pm

Ohio State - 26
Oregon - 17

Also,

Penn State - 19
LSU - 17

Finally, the Big Ten delivers.

feng shweez
Inscrutable Pi

Post by feng shweez » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:48 pm

Kind of disappointing, really. I always rather enjoyed seeing the Big Ten get embarrassed year after year.

Oh well. They'll still suck next year.
[url=http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/9392/nootrosforumslk9.gif][img]http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/9392/nootrosforumslk9.gif[/img][/url]

Raccoon
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by Raccoon » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:23 pm

feng shweez wrote:Kind of disappointing, really. I always rather enjoyed seeing the Big Ten get embarrassed year after year.

Oh well. They'll still suck next year.
+1

(I'm embarrassed at how much the Pac-10 sucked this year.)

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:51 pm

That Northwestern game was a whole lot of crazy.

feng shweez
Inscrutable Pi

Re: 2009-10 College Football Bowls -- who're you rooting for?

Post by feng shweez » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:36 am

Congratulations Boise State on your National Championship.
[url=http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/9392/nootrosforumslk9.gif][img]http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/9392/nootrosforumslk9.gif[/img][/url]

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:53 pm

I might as well just put this here since we already have a college football thread...

What the hell is going on with the Big 10, Pac 10, and Big 12? The idea of a 16 team conference seems bizarre and the thought of the Big 12 just disappearing is even weirder.

Pet Rock Steve
Pie in the Sky

Post by Pet Rock Steve » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:17 pm

Pandemonium, pure and simple. Colorado already said they are heading to the Pac-10, Nebraska is likely going to the Big1T1en, and everything will go crazy from there (hello Pac-16). I wonder if the prediction of having 5 mega-conferences (Pac-10, Mountain West, Big Ten, ACC, SEC) will prove true. Hurray cash grabs?

Raccoon
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by Raccoon » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:44 pm

I thought it wasn't settled yet whether the sixth team to join the Pac-uh-16 would be Colorado or Baylor. Obviously the conference would prefer Colorado, but I heard some Texas legislator is going try to force all four Texas schools to go together as a package.

I suppose this is pretty clearly good for the conference, but as a long-time Pac-10 fan, I don't especially like it. I've always liked how the Pac-10 has perfect symmetry in its rivalries -- each school has its rival in the same geographic location, so that the end of the season games are all rivalry matchups: Cal-Stanford, UCLA-usc, Washington-Washington State, Oregon-Oregon State, and Arizona-Arizona State. Now that's going to be messed up by the newcomers, other than Oklahoma-Oklahoma State.

Also, not to be too much of an elitist school snob, but while Colorado would be a fine fit, I have a hard time seeing Baylor in the same group of schools.

slaphappy snark
Widdle Fudge Bunny

Post by slaphappy snark » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:00 pm

DB wrote:I thought it wasn't settled yet whether the sixth team to join the Pac-uh-16 would be Colorado or Baylor.
It sounds like as of right now, Colorado is definite and nothing else is officially settled. Other weird possibilities keep cropping up, and this Pac-16 thing looks better than some other rumors that are flying around.
This day is crazy, between this stuff and the SC sanctions!

Raccoon
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by Raccoon » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:12 pm

slaphappy snark wrote:It sounds like as of right now, Colorado is definite and nothing else is officially settled. Other weird possibilities keep cropping up, and this Pac-16 thing looks better than some other rumors that are flying around.
This day is crazy, between this stuff and the SC sanctions!
Ah, I was behind the times.

This is pretty freaking awesome! USC got hammered -- let's just hope that the NCAA doesn't lose its spine during the appeals process.

Pet Rock Steve
Pie in the Sky

Post by Pet Rock Steve » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:39 pm

Doggie Bear wrote:I suppose this is pretty clearly good for the conference, but as a long-time Pac-10 fan, I don't especially like it. I've always liked how the Pac-10 has perfect symmetry in its rivalries -- each school has its rival in the same geographic location, so that the end of the season games are all rivalry matchups: Cal-Stanford, UCLA-usc, Washington-Washington State, Oregon-Oregon State, and Arizona-Arizona State. Now that's going to be messed up by the newcomers, other than Oklahoma-Oklahoma State.
Wouldn't only Colorado and Texas Tech be odd ones out (unless you consider the Texas rivalry a 3-way)?

I'm wondering how Nebraska and Missouri(?) are going to fit into the rivalries of the Big(ger) Ten. Plus, if both of them head over there, what other schools are going to head over as well? Notre Dame might, but probably only if the Big East collapses somehow.