Cocktails

Like the title says, anything and everything else goes here. As long as it follows the forum rules.

Moderator: Raccoon

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Cocktails

Post by Eigenbasis » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:31 pm

We have a beer thread, so why not a cocktail thread?

Since I will finally be of age to purchase alcohol next week I want to expand my horizons a bit beyond beer. Post your favorites! They could be either something you could make at home or more exotic drinks to try at a bar.

To start - lime daiquiri. Ernest Hemingway had good taste.

2 parts light or gold rum
1 part lime juice
sugar to taste
Ice to taste

Either pour in a glass and stir or mix with chipped ice in a shaker and strain.

Edit - after experimentation, revised the recipe. Works better with gold rum, IMO.
Last edited by Eigenbasis on Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Manendra » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:34 pm

My usual gin and tonic is too boring. Everyone knows how to make one.

Instead, the Creamy Parker (don't ask about the origins of that name):

2 parts Vanilla Vodka (I've only had it with Absolut, I assume stoli would work just as well)
2 parts Kahlua
1 part Frangelico
top with half and half (or milk/cream of whatever level of unhealthiness you like)

Serve in a highball with ice. Add a dash of Chambord if you enjoy raspberries.

preniqueezer
AFH

Post by preniqueezer » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:39 pm

You've got years of good, legal sampling of cocktails ahead of you, Eigen. I'm in my mid-30's and still discovering new ones, because there are so many.

I even keep a notebook of some of my favorite ones -- either something I just invented, or a variation on a standard recipe. I'll dig up a few later, but for the moment, here's pictorial evidence of 101 KoL beverages I've tried in real life, many of them cocktails:

http://ideservetodie.com/

Also, man that site is out of date. Don't think I've posted anything new in a year, and I know I've got more pics around somewhere.

tiv
Fie the Pie

Post by tiv » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:47 pm

preniqueezer wrote:Grogtini...This turned out to be an intensely sour drink. Not sure I'd recommend it to anyone but scurvy sufferers.
One of the hugest laughs I've had all day. <3

I'm rather ordinary when it comes to my cocktails. If you want to talk shots, give me a holler. >.>

my type of Screwdriver...

1 part Grey Goose
4 parts OJ (for variety, blood orange juice. mmm)
lots of ice ;)

NardoLoopa
Market Manipulator

Post by NardoLoopa » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:50 pm

tiv wrote:1 part Grey Goose
You can stop right there.

Ms. Loopa and I held a "Martini Party" a couple years ago. Instead of "what would you like to drink?" I asked, "What kind of martini would you like?" I kept it to gin/vodka, sweet/dry vermouth. 3 kinds of gin. 3 kinds of vodka, olives, onions. So, 'perfect', 'wet', 'dry', 'dirty', gibson etc. There was nothing else except water offered as a beverage.

It was a great time.

Most people said, "wow, that's strong." to which I replied, "of course, there's nothing but alcohol in there."

So, my favorite cocktail:

Chill the glass
Chill the gin (Boodles)
Dry vermouth (martini-rossi) (no need to chill)
Drop a shot of vermouth in the glass, swish it around, pour out leaving little.
Shake 3-shots of gin with rocks of ice in the shaker for 10seconds, strain into glass.
Add 2 jumbo olives with a TPS.

enjoy

tiv
Fie the Pie

Post by tiv » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:12 pm

NardoLoopa wrote:
tiv wrote:1 part Grey Goose
You can stop right there.
Usually, I do. But, I also happen to like screwdrivers, so I drink them occasionally. If he had asked "favorite alcoholic beverage?"

1 glass
bottle of Glenrothes 1984

pour ~1.5 ounces of whisky into glass. no ice, no garnish. Just warm, smooth heaven. enjoy. ;)

p4n1q
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by p4n1q » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:17 pm

NardoLoopa wrote: Most people said, "wow, that's strong." to which I replied, "of course, there's nothing but alcohol in there."
Even Everclear is only 95%. Anything much stronger than that is going to require azeotropic distillation, making it likely to contain benzene. Just saying, if we're going to be picky about dilution :P

NardoLoopa
Market Manipulator

Post by NardoLoopa » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:28 pm

tiv wrote:1 glass
bottle of Glenrothes 1984

pour ~1.5 ounces of whisky into glass. no ice, no garnish. Just warm, smooth heaven. enjoy. ;)
I think I found my drink'n buddy.

feng shweez
Inscrutable Pi

Post by feng shweez » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:31 pm

Long post!

I am rather experienced in the ways of tending a bar, when the bar is whatever the fuck you have lying around. (Never done it professionally. No doubt it shows.) So here's a few I know.

Firstly: sexy time!

Multiple Orgasm:
Served in a tumbler

* 1 part Triple Sec
* 1 part Irish Cream
* 2 parts Milk

Mixed over ice. Sounds kind of gross, but tastes like a creamsicle! Very low in alcohol, for the lightweights out there. (Also a pleasing nightcap.)

Sex on an Alligator:
Served as shots

* 2 parts Midori sour (Midori + sour mix)
* 1 part jagermeister
* 1 part rasberry liquor

Mix up the Midori sour and put it into the shot glass(es). Layer in the rasberry liquor (it should sink). Layer the jagermeister on top.

---

Good drink for birthdays in bars:

You're buying your douche-bag friend a drink. Might as well make it count.

Three wise men
Served in a shot glass

* 1 part Johnny Walker
* 1 part Jim Beam
* 1 part Jack Daniels

For extra-credit, make it a Four Horsman of the Apocalypse--add Jose Cuervo.

---

Protip: most people don't know shit about booze. So you can fake it most of the time.

Some nice easy bar tricks for these sorts of occasions (read: any party or other bartending scenarios with inexperienced palettes).

Sour Mix:

Making a really great sour mix is complicated (lots of ingredients). Making an decent one is easy. Take a frozen limeade concentrate. Mix it with half the water suggested on the label for regular limeade.. Viola. Sour Mix.

Jello Shots:

Take any jello. Replace the cold water in the recipe with a vodka. It's wise to spend the extra 5 or 10 dollars for a mediocre-level (Skyy, Smirnoff) vodka.

Sangria:

Sangria done right should be mixed the night before with passable a Spanish red. But if you're too late for these sorts of things, make tinto verano instead.

2 or 3 parts red wine (any)
1 part lemon fanta
1 part orange fanta

Throw it over some citrus fruit to make it look like sangria. Trust me. People will think it's terrific.

---

I'm not just a wuss who pounds bitch drinks though (even if I do very much like to do that). My personal favourites:

Extra-dry martini:
* 5 parts gin (van gogh or bombay sapphire. chilled!)
* 1 part dry vermouth
* 2 jalapeno-stuffed oliver (rim the glass with the jalapeno)

Whisky (single malt):
* Cragganmore 12 year. Neat.

Whisky (blended):
* Famous Grouse Special Reserve. (Not to be confused with the regular FG.) Neat.

(There are lots of good whiskys, but many are out of my price range, so I can't say. [Incidentally, I have tried Johnny Walker Blue and it's good, but overrated.] Right now I have a McClelland's Speyside, an Oban 14 year, and a Balvenie doublewood 12 year in the cabinet.)
[url=http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/9392/nootrosforumslk9.gif][img]http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/9392/nootrosforumslk9.gif[/img][/url]

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Manendra » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:30 pm

I've also grown fond of... I'll call it the Indian screwdriver? Vodka and Mango juice (I find Maaza the easiest to find, in any Indian grocery).

Quite delicious.

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:53 pm

preniqueezer wrote:You've got years of good, legal sampling of cocktails ahead of you, Eigen. I'm in my mid-30's and still discovering new ones, because there are so many.

I even keep a notebook of some of my favorite ones -- either something I just invented, or a variation on a standard recipe. I'll dig up a few later, but for the moment, here's pictorial evidence of 101 KoL beverages I've tried in real life, many of them cocktails:

http://ideservetodie.com/

Also, man that site is out of date. Don't think I've posted anything new in a year, and I know I've got more pics around somewhere.
You don't put vermouth in your martinis?

Pendulass
Pie in the Sky

Post by Pendulass » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:10 pm

but, without vermouth isn't it just a large shot of gin/vodka?

preniqueezer
AFH

Post by preniqueezer » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:32 pm

I don't really like vermouth all that much. Also, most of my martinis come heavily laden with olive juice. I like 'em super dirty.

That said, much (though not all) of what's on that site is trying to hold true to the KoL recipe, rather than more standard interpretations, etc.

preniqueezer
AFH

Post by preniqueezer » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:08 pm

To which I'll add that my favorite local martini is called the Bill Clinton. Because it's very dirty.

Some recipes:

Knock you on your ass margarita
1 part Rose's lime juice
1 part gold tequila
1 part triple sec (at least moderate quality is critical)

Measure ingredients carefully, because if the blend is off, it doesn't work so well. Preferably server in a salted glass.

Papaya slung (KoL recipe)
mix a couple of shots of vodka with most of a glass of papaya juice. Crumble in an "Oreo Snackable" cookie -- they're sort of soft Oreos. This represents the "dirt" in the slung.

It's surprisingly tasty. The soggy cookie is actually a yummy little treat with every sip.

Sour cherry cocktail -- sweet and drinkable

1 oz vodka
.5 oz bourbon
.5 oz Rose's lime
3 oz cherry juice (fruit juice, not grenadine)
1 cherry

Mix everything together and serve in small glass over ice.

The "perfect" manhattan
1 part sweet vermouth
1 part dry vermouth
4 parts bourbon

Strain with ice. Serve in a martini glass with a cherry. I don't like this one, but it's one of my wife's favorite drinks, so I include it to meet different tastes.

feng shweez
Inscrutable Pi

Post by feng shweez » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:04 am

preniqueezer wrote:Knock you on your ass margarita
1 part Rose's lime juice
1 part gold tequila
1 part triple sec (at least moderate quality is critical)

Sour cherry cocktail -- sweet and drinkable
1 oz vodka
.5 oz bourbon
.5 oz Rose's lime
3 oz cherry juice (fruit juice, not grenadine)
1 cherry
Why the Rose's? I would think both of these drinks would taste substantially better with real lime juice (which is to say, either juice from a lime or that Real Lime (tm) stuff). Rose's lacks the bite of real lime juice and seems too sweet for both of these drinks. I'll admit to being biased against Rose's Lime though.
[url=http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/9392/nootrosforumslk9.gif][img]http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/9392/nootrosforumslk9.gif[/img][/url]

preniqueezer
AFH

Post by preniqueezer » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:35 pm

May just be my personal tastes, but I find pure lime juice too strong, and I don't mind sweet drinks.

Particularly in the first recipe, tequila, triple sec, and pure lime ... I've had that, and it felt like it was eating the enamel off my teeth.

There's also visual appeal. Rose's emphasizes a nice golden color along with the tequila, whereas real lime is kinda pale green and cloudy and usually has floaty bits of fruit. Just doesn't look as appealing.

As for the second, that might come out just fine with lime juice. I was thinking of it as more of a sour cherry candy, so the sugar is appropriate.

Finally, Rose's keeps in the fridge longer than fresh limes, or even the bottled lime juice, so it's much more likely to be on hand when I'm making things up.

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Manendra » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:55 pm

Personally, I love fresh, real lime juice. I am rarely, if ever, without a lime or two in the fridge. That may have something to do with my tendency to make my gin and tonics heavy on the lime, but whatever. It's nice to have them around.

Weylin
Just Plain Old Pie

The Smoky Martini

Post by Weylin » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:37 pm

When I'm cocktailing, the my favorite:

The Smoky Martini

2.5oz gin (preference is for Sapphire)
.5oz scotch (scotch quality really does matter here, I prefer a decent single malt, not blended)
lemon twist garnish

Shake with ice, strain into a martini glass, garnish with the twist.

Recipes out on the interwebs seem to prefer a stirred, but that thin ice glaze is an important part of the experience.

The scotch mellows and brings out parts of the gin that would otherwise go competely unnoticed.

Modifications:

Changing the gin/scotch ratio drastically changes the final drink, and experimentation with vermouth is worth trying.

preniqueezer
AFH

Re: Cocktails

Post by preniqueezer » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:11 pm

Tried your smoky martini this evening, Weylan. I'll say it's pretty good for a gin drink, but it's still too much gin for me. (Working on the appreciation factor, just not there yet.) Didn't have a lemon rind, so maybe I'm missing a key ingredient.

I may try to split the difference and see how that treats me, or even reverse the proportions. Scotch has been a real revelation for me the last couple of months, so I'd rather be drinking it than gin.

preniqueezer
AFH

Re:

Post by preniqueezer » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:14 pm

Manendra wrote:Personally, I love fresh, real lime juice. I am rarely, if ever, without a lime or two in the fridge. That may have something to do with my tendency to make my gin and tonics heavy on the lime, but whatever. It's nice to have them around.
Oh, and I meant to reply to this ages ago, that my secret recipe to the perfect gin and tonic is it has to be stirred with a finger (ideally a clean one). My brother taught me that secret ages ago, and I stand by it.

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Manendra » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:47 pm

Is there a rationale for that? Or is it superstition? I usually stir with the knife I used to cut the lime. :P

preniqueezer
AFH

Post by preniqueezer » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:39 pm

Rationale being it seems to taste better with the finger. I have no theories as to why.

NardoLoopa
Market Manipulator

Post by NardoLoopa » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:04 am

Maybe salt? Or Ph - acidity? Every so slight, of course. Probably doesn't work if you just washed your finger.

btw: sushi is best eaten off a woman's stomach. But that might have more to do with the implied scenery.

Raccoon
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by Raccoon » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:44 pm

NardoLoopa wrote:btw: sushi is best eaten off a woman's stomach. But that might have more to do with the implied scenery.
So, sushi would be better eaten off Roseanne Barr's stomach than a bamboo plate-thingie? :roll:
[img]http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u218/mad_hamish/raccoonsig.jpg[/img]

tiv
Fie the Pie

Post by tiv » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:14 pm

Doggie Bear wrote:
NardoLoopa wrote:btw: sushi is best eaten off a woman's stomach. But that might have more to do with the implied scenery.
So, sushi would be better eaten off Roseanne Barr's stomach than a bamboo plate-thingie? :roll:
He said "woman." >.>

Pantsless
Fie the Pie

Re:

Post by Pantsless » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 am

Manendra wrote:Personally, I love fresh, real lime juice. I am rarely, if ever, without a lime or two in the fridge.
I like making fresh squeezed limeade in the summer.

I want to add something vaguely on-topic for this thread, so I'll tell a quick anecdote from back when I used to tend bar.
A guy came up to the bar and complained to me that he wanted to order some fuzzy navels, but he always felt like a huge wuss asking the bartender for a drink with such a ridiculous name. I told him I agreed, and said that a drink that sweet needed an extra-masculine name to balance it out. And since "screwdriver" manages to sound like a masculine drink despite having orange juice, I suggested that we'd start calling peach schnapps + orange juice a "chainsaw". For the rest of the night he would come up and drunkenly yell "CHAAAAAAINSAAAAW" at me, confusing the other wedding guests. I put up with it and yelled it right back at him, because he was tipping $20 every time.

After that night I started using the "chainsaw" schtick on every guy who ordered a fuzzy navel, and it ALWAYS brought in good tips. Yay booze!

EDIT: Here's the recipe, in case you wanted to print it out for your cocktail rolodex:
Chainsaw

Step 1. Make 1 Fuzzy Navel
Step 2. Yell "CHAAAAAAINSAAWWWW!"

Increase the volume of step 2 for each subsequent drink.
Last edited by Pantsless on Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
[quote="Serra725"]What did you use for the structural part of the bear?[/quote]

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:05 am

Reminds me of futurama:

"I'll have a fuzzy navel, and she'll have the girliest drink in the house."
"Two fuzzy navels comin' right up."

Mad Hamish
AFH

Post by Mad Hamish » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:00 pm

Fine bourbon. No ice. Sip slowly. Exude awesome.
Hi-keebated again? No way!

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:55 pm

My new favorite cocktail: gin and tonic, but with Hendrick's Gin, garnished with a slice of English cucumber instead of a lime. Hendrick's has a wonderful essence of cucumber and rose that is out of this world.

Also, I made homemade limoncello. I put the peel of 10 lemons in 750ml of vodka for a week. (Use the lemon juice to make lemonade or whatever you want) Then, boil water and add an equal amount of sugar to it to make a simple syrup, mix it with the strained vodka, and bottle. Let sit overnight in the freezer before drinking. I used 2 3/4 cups of water and sugar, and I think it came out a bit too sweet. I'd recommend maybe 2 1/4 water/sugar or diluting a bit with water.
"Have you ever heard the expression, ‘When life gives you lemons, make lemonade, and then throw it in the face of the person who gave you the lemons until they give you the oranges you originally asked for?’"

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Manendra » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:12 pm

That reminds me of a cocktail I had at Honey(pdf) here in Mpls. The Volstead:

Hayman's Old Tom gin, white and red cranberry, lime, cucumber, and a sprig of thyme.

Very very delicious. And very unlike the overly sweet crap that you get at most bars these days.

Also, when my buddy made Limoncello, he used Everclear instead of Vodka. Came out just perfect.

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Manendra » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:55 pm

The Guy (pronounced Gee, with a hard G, German style. Named after my host-father in Luxembourg)

1 shot Vodka
1 shot Limoncello
Orangina to taste.

Served on ice in a... shit I don't remember what we used. Depends on how much orangina I guess. Anyway, citrusy and yummy!

Though to be true to that household, the Guy should really just be like 8 glasses of Luxembourgish Cremant. :P

Jaelith
Pie in the Sky

Post by Jaelith » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:02 am

Manendra wrote:The Guy (pronounced Gee, with a hard G, German style. Named after my host-father in Luxembourg)

1 shot Vodka
1 shot Limoncello
Orangina to taste.
My boyfriend and I make "spanners" (as opposed to screwdrivers, "hah. hah.") very similarly. Two shots vodka (ideally something like Absolut Citron), a splash of orange juice, and whatever sparkly citrusy soda is about, over some ice. Sierra Mist works surprisingly well, but when we can find Orangina, I'm positively over the moon.

Mmm. Perhaps I will go make myself a drink...

Harrakan
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by Harrakan » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:14 pm

Being a poor (underage) college kid, I pride myself on managing to come up with a lot of interesting drinks with whatever we have around. Most, while fulfilling their purpose, are pretty gross, but a few actually taste good. I also don't really measure anything, so I can't be all exact with these. So, without further ado: Cheap, College, "Cocktails"

The Golden Explosion:
* Line the bottom of the glass (preferably clear) with Runny Honey to about .5 mm of honey.
* Pour in your Whiskey, the golden-er the better
* Fill the glass with Diet Sierra Mist
* Vigorously stir until honey disappears and liquid is sufficiently gold colored.

This is surprisingly good. Everyone doubts it at first, but after a sip wants one. I've found that non-diet Sierra Mist is far less effective, as it seems to go flat when you mix in the honey.

Jak and Gyngyr
* Fill a glass with your standard mix of Lemon-Lime soda and Whiskey (preferably Bourbon, or Tennessee Whiskey, whatever that is)
* Float a handful of crushed ice in the glass
* Splash a small amount of Diet Coke into the top of the glass
* Do not stir the glass; the coke should slowly filter down as you drink

I've found that for this purpose Sprite > 7-Up > Sierra Mist. If you're not into Whiskey I actually still recommend this drink without the alcohol; Sprite with a splash of Diet coke just tastes spookily like ginger ale.

Sour Grapes
* Add 1 shot of Vodka to a glass
* Fill to ~75% full with Lemonade (I use Tropicana lemonade stolen from the dining hall - the sweeter the better here)
* Finish the glass with Grape Juice and mix

The sugar in the lemonade cuts the bite of the vodka, the grape juice cuts the sugar of the lemonade, the vodka cuts the childhoodness of the grape juice.

Cranberry Cherry Coke
* Mix 3 parts Coca Cola with 1 part Cranberry Juice
* Add in a shot of UV Cherry (A bright red cherry flavored vodka)

Reviews are mixed on this one - generally people who don't like cherry coke or cranberry juice are, unsurprisingly, not fans.

Lil' Cherry Bombs
* Fill a half full large Jar of Maraschino Cherries with Everclear
* Ensure that you leave in the syrup they come in
* Wait about 10 minutes
* Eat individually or float in your drink

Best served at a frat with ingredients stolen from the bar

Pain in a Shot
* Empty and clean a sealable airplane sized alcohol bottle
* Put in about 15 Sour Skittles into the bottle
* Fill bottle with Vodka
* Add in as much of the Sour Sugar that you find at the bottom of skittle bags
* Seal and shake the bottle until the liquid has obtained the color of the skittles, and the skittles have
* Pour into a shot glass and take, skittle remnants and all.

Warning: Actually painful to take. Still fun though.

I'm sure I'll think of/ create more in my remaining years, but there's a few of my favorites for now.

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:29 pm

I'm thinking about buying a soda water siphon for seltzer/homemade Orangina/etc. Does anyone have one? Any recommendations?
"Have you ever heard the expression, ‘When life gives you lemons, make lemonade, and then throw it in the face of the person who gave you the lemons until they give you the oranges you originally asked for?’"

p4n1q
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by p4n1q » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:42 pm

Once, when I was in college, I tried to make a tequila sunrise, except, I didn't have any tequila or orange juice. So I substituted rum for tequila and grape soda for orange juice. So it was basically about one part rum, three parts grape soda, and a dash of grenadine. I called it an Angry Grimace. Not recommended.

MonsterERB
AFH

Post by MonsterERB » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:37 pm

p4n1q wrote:So it was basically about one part rum, three parts grape soda, and a dash of grenadine.
Holy Crap. :shock: Rum + grape soda? Seriously??
p4n1q wrote:I called it an Angry Grimace. Not recommended.
I can only imagine the flavor... "Angry Grimace" seems like an apt name, as it's the likely reaction of anyone unfortunate enough to be served this vile concoction. This drink reminds me of a game my friends and I used to play called "nasty sandwich", back when I lived in the undergrad dorms. We'd take turns trying to imagine the most evil-tasting, vomit-inducing sandwich imaginable. At the end of the semester, we voted on the winner... I believe it was something along the lines of "peanut butter and tomato on rye, with mayonnaise, sauerkraut, barbecue sauce, grape jelly, and mustard".
However, none of us were fool enough to make the damn sandwich, let alone actually EAT it. Kudos to you, sir. :wink:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/dvmaprezson/AFHV1.gif[/img]

p4n1q
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by p4n1q » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:52 pm

I've played that game with drinks. Root beer and Triplesec is as worse than you would think that it would be.

preniqueezer
AFH

Post by preniqueezer » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:27 pm

That's funny, because I think it would be pretty bad.

One of the worst drinks I've had was tequila and mountain dew. Another one up there was a very badly mixed Long Island iced tea. But I've had plenty of other experiments go wrong, just forgot what most of them were.

p4n1q
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by p4n1q » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:32 pm

In my experience, Mountain Dew does not mix well with anything.

Creme de menthe and cola does not taste good, either.

Harrakan
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by Harrakan » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:10 pm

In regards to Mountain Dew: one of the wost experiences of my drinking life was taking a shot of cheap, cheap Vodka and then, on the advise of my friends, following it with a chaser of Mountain Dew Voltage.

I occasionally see cans of Mountain Dew Voltage and get shivers of disgusting flashback.

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Manendra » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:01 pm

Oh come now, on my last night at training in Boston for my last job, we took many many shots of rail (read: plastic bottle) vodka, chasing with bad beer like Brubaker. That was a good idea. :thumbs:

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:22 am

I present a delicious drink, created by yours truly. I call it the Steve Collins.

Fill a Collins glass with:
Ice
2 parts gin
1 part lemon juice
1 part limoncello
Top off with soda water and garnish with a lemon wedge and (optionally) a cherry.

Now I'm going to go tend to this hangover.

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Manendra » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:29 am

That sounds delicious.... and dangerous.

Last night my search came to an end! I finally found a bar that would make me an Aviation! And it was excellent.

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:35 am

Manendra wrote:That sounds delicious.... and dangerous.

Last night my search came to an end! I finally found a bar that would make me an Aviation! And it was excellent.
With or without Creme de Violette?

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Manendra » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:38 am

With. I didn't know it at the time, but they apparently have a bar up on the top level (it's in a tower) called Prohibition that serves old-school cocktails. So it makes sense that the bar downstairs was able to make one.

Creelie
Inscrutable Pi

Post by Creelie » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:57 pm

Mostly I like Islay malts and wine, with a supporting cast of beer, highballs, and boozy coffees. But there are a couple of classic cocktails I enjoy:

Mimosa: equal parts champagne and fresh-squeezed orange juice. Mmmmimosas. They're excellent during heatwaves.

And of course with steak nothing beats the Caesar: clamato juice and vodka with a stick of celery and salt and pepper rimming the glass. I've heard these exist primarily here in Canada, which is a shame.
Last edited by Creelie on Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Manendra » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:23 am

My mimosas start out at 50/50.... by the time the champagne is gone, its usually 90% champagne, 10% OJ. :D

Pet Rock Steve
Pie in the Sky

Post by Pet Rock Steve » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:21 pm

I've been experimenting with variants of the sidecar using different base drinks. Gin + Triple Sec + Sour being one of my favorites. If you want something fruitier while still potent, try using a flavored rum as the base (I like coconut rum, personally).

Triple Sec + Sprite on the rocks is light and probably best consumed on a warm afternoon. This was inspired by my lack of Bacardi O at the time.

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:59 pm

Pet Rock Steve wrote:I've been experimenting with variants of the sidecar using different base drinks. Gin + Triple Sec + Sour being one of my favorites. If you want something fruitier while still potent, try using a flavored rum as the base (I like coconut rum, personally).

Triple Sec + Sprite on the rocks is light and probably best consumed on a warm afternoon. This was inspired by my lack of Bacardi O at the time.
Cool, I'll have to try that. I haven't had a regular sidecar because I don't have brandy, but I do like gin.

Turtle Juice
Inscrutable Pi

Post by Turtle Juice » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:49 pm

I have 2 favorite drinks.

Very dry & dirty martini
Bombay Saphire Gin (2 1/2-ish oz.)
Martini & Rossi Dry Vermouth (gently shake capped bottle over glass or open and blow across top into glass)
Olive juice (1/2 - 1 oz.) - depending on how 'dirty' I'm feeling
- Poured into a martini shaker with ice and shaken vigorously
- Pour into martini glass and add 3 olives on swizzle stick of your choice (I prefer swords)
Drink and repeat as necessary

Scotch
The Macallan - 18 year old
- Pour into a tumbler (~ 3 fingers worth)
Drink. Do not add ice, water, coke, etc. ever.

Serra725
AFH

Post by Serra725 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:40 pm

Turtle Juice wrote: Martini & Rossi Dry Vermouth (gently shake capped bottle over glass or open and blow across top into glass)
This has me curious- are you kidding? Or what does that mean? (I know nothing about drinks.)

zombiepops
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by zombiepops » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:31 pm

Serra725 wrote:
Turtle Juice wrote: Martini & Rossi Dry Vermouth (gently shake capped bottle over glass or open and blow across top into glass)
This has me curious- are you kidding? Or what does that mean? (I know nothing about drinks.)
It means the resulting martini and the bottle of vermouth have heard of each other but never actually met in person. (ie, there's no vermouth in it). some people like their martinis extra dry. Vodka martinis are typically served this way, ie. a glass full of vodka.
I'm brainy for Zombiepops!

Ceirdwyn
Hug Duchess

Post by Ceirdwyn » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:49 pm

Turtle Juice wrote: 2.
Scotch
The Macallan - 18 year old
- Pour into a tumbler (~ 3 fingers worth)
Drink. Do not add ice, water, coke, etc. ever.
Make that a Glenfarclas 105 and you get me :) Best drunk if warmed up a bit in your hand before drinking.

preniqueezer
AFH

Post by preniqueezer » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:53 pm

zombiepops wrote: It means the resulting martini and the bottle of vermouth have heard of each other but never actually met in person. (ie, there's no vermouth in it). some people like their martinis extra dry. Vodka martinis are typically served this way, ie. a glass full of vodka.
A bar in Fort Collins had a recipe which included "a glance at the vermouth" where the bartenders did faithfully look in the direction of the vermouth bottle whilst mixing up all the vodka, but add none. It was kind of funny the first time, but ever since then all the other contrivances to "include" vermouth without actually including vermouth to be kind of pretentious and confusing. (Sorry TurtleJuice, not really picking on you, just the phenomenon.)

I need to try some new cocktails. It's been a while since I've experimented. Guess I need to revive the KoL booze project.

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:45 pm

I don't really understand the no-vermouth martini concept. Is it just because some people really like the gin/vodka, or because they dislike vermouth?

Martinis are a bit strong for me, but my taste buds are young. I can enjoy a Hendrick's martini because I like that gin so much, but not much else.

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Manendra » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:35 pm

preniqueezer wrote:Guess I need to revive the KoL booze project.
:thumbs:

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:10 am

Pet Rock Steve wrote:I've been experimenting with variants of the sidecar using different base drinks. Gin + Triple Sec + Sour being one of my favorites. If you want something fruitier while still potent, try using a flavored rum as the base (I like coconut rum, personally).

So, what ratio did you use for the sidecar? I did 1:1:1 gin/trip sec/lemon juice and it was a bit too tart. Maybe I should have used sour mix instead. Or I could do 2:2:1 I suppose.

Pet Rock Steve
Pie in the Sky

Post by Pet Rock Steve » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:10 am

I tend to use a sour mix instead of lemon. I typically go 1:1:1 (I like tart), though the recipe I saw for the gin sidecar said 2:1:1 using lemon juice.

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:48 am

2:1:1 with lemon juice is working good. I dunno, maybe I'd want it a tad bit more tart - 1 shot gin, 1/2 shot trip sec, 2/3 lemon juice but this is good enough for me.

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:42 pm

I've got a lot of dry vermouth lying around, and I don't drink martinis very often. What else can I do with it?

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Manendra » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:07 am

I've been enjoying the Gimlet recently.

2oz Gin
1/2oz fresh lime juice
1 cube sugar
Shake well, serve up.

Obviously, the lime juice/sugar combo could be replaced with ~1/2oz Rose's Lime Juice.

bleary
Pie in the Sky

Post by bleary » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:45 pm

Manendra wrote: Obviously, the lime juice/sugar combo could be replaced with ~1/2oz Rose's Lime Juice.
"a real gimlet is half gin and half Rose's lime juice and nothing else"

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:28 pm

I prefer simple syrup to sugar, because it dissolves faster and tastes the same (to me). Bonus points if you muddle cucumbers into Hendrick's Gin.

preniqueezer
AFH

Post by preniqueezer » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:54 am

A couple of weeks ago my wife and I found ourselves wanting something caffeinated, but also sort of in the mood for wine. I made up a couple half-mugs of strong tea (Earl Grey for me, some kind of lavender+black tea for her), cooled it a bit in the freezer, and then topped it off with some wine. (In this case a boxed malbec; moderate as boxed goes, nothing fancy.)

We both felt the concoction was pretty decent, and it met our goals of caffeination and intoxication. The tea brought out some flowery notes in the wine, which wasn't much the worse for being thinned out. Not sure I'd make it a regular beverage of choice, but I might try it again.

Turtle Juice
Inscrutable Pi

Post by Turtle Juice » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:24 pm

Hey, just noticed this thread again. Yay for drinking!

I forgot about one of my favorites.

The tequila and tonic. Most people like vodka or gin tonics, but I looove tequila and the tequila tonic does it for me.

Directions:

1. Fill large glass with ice
2. Take a bottle of Jose Quervo Gold firmly in one hand
3. Pour a lot of the bottle into the glass ... I do a slow 3 count or 2/3 ish of a glass
4. Pour some fresh tonic water into glass (I've used unfresh and it just wastes the drink)
5. Cut a wedge of lime and squeeze into glass, then dunking into liquid
6. Drink
7. Repeat as necessary

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Manendra » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:32 pm

bleary wrote:"a real gimlet is half gin and half Rose's lime juice and nothing else"
Rose's lime is way too sweet/strong for that. You won't taste the gin. Gross.

And yeah, Eigen, but I'm too lazy to make/buy simple syrup. :P

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:39 pm

I have five glass bottles with rubber swingtop stoppers ready to go, so making and storing simple syrup is pretty easy. I got them at Pottery Barn pretty cheap. Plus, if I ever get the urge, I could make Skittles Vodka.

Omri
AFH

Post by Omri » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:01 am

Eigenbasis wrote:I have five glass bottles with rubber swingtop stoppers ready to go, so making and storing simple syrup is pretty easy. I got them at Pottery Barn pretty cheap. Plus, if I ever get the urge, I could make Skittles Vodka.
I want those glasses for brewing!

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:28 am

Actually it was Crate and Barrel. You can find them here: http://www.crateandbarrel.com/outlet/ki ... sk/s164577
I've also used them for limoncello. If they're not available online, you can call the nearest store to you and have them ship them to you.

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Manendra » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:38 pm

Having just finished off my bad purchase of Jim Beam, I'm looking for a good rye whiskey to buy. I've heard good things about Rittenhouse, but it seems to be hard to find here. Any other suggestions? Keep in mind that I'm poor and prefer bottles in the $15-25 range.

In other news, I made some Planter's Punch the other day and it was delicious. Anyone got any favored dark rum recipes? My bottle of Gosling Black Seal is itching to be used.