Bay Area AFHers - Again?

Like the title says, anything and everything else goes here. As long as it follows the forum rules.

Moderator: Raccoon

slaphappy snark
Widdle Fudge Bunny

Bay Area AFHers - Again?

Post by slaphappy snark » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:58 pm

A few SF Bay Area clannies are going to meet next Saturday (January 30) for late lunch at 3pm. I think I've caught most of the local folks, but if I missed you, and you're interested, let me know.
For people who are coming, any suggestions for a place to meet? I was thinking somewhere in the east bay, to make it relatively easy to get to for most of us--maybe Pyramid in Berkeley or Indian Palace in Alameda (home of stu's favorite chicken tikka masala)?

So: 3pm, Pancho Villa Restaurant in San Mateo

Kelemvor
AFH

Re: Bay Area AFHers - Sat 1/30

Post by Kelemvor » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:30 am

East Bay? Bleh! I thought we were meeting up on the Peninsula. No good reason, though, I just assumed stu was at Stanford from his GD info and figured maybe everyone else was down here too. Wishful thinking, I guess. Ah well, no worries; if that's where most folks are, I'll suck it up, though I might be a bit late.

lostcalpolydude
Forum Maestro

Post by lostcalpolydude » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:36 am

Kelemvor wrote:I just assumed stu was at Stanford from his GD info
You should tell him to update his Location info on this forum.
bmaher: Softcore character
lostcalpolydude: Hardcore character (abandoned)

slaphappy snark
Widdle Fudge Bunny

Post by slaphappy snark » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:44 am

We have one or two coming from SF, one peninsula, one San Jose, one north bay, and one east bay. If you have suggestions, it's still pretty open, but just keep in mind that we're kind of all over.

And I agree that stu should update his profile info.

Kelemvor
AFH

Post by Kelemvor » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:21 am

Glancing at a map of the Bay Area, it seems that downtown San Mateo is kind of in the middle of where everyone is (well, thanks to the guy from Heyward, somewhere on the San Mateo bridge is in the middle, but there aren't any good places to eat there). I freely admit I'm biased, though, since that's pretty close to me. :) A few places in downtown that I like:

- North Beach Pizza
- Pancho Villa Taqueria
- Little Szechuan
- Joy Luck Place (dim sum)
- Bombay Garden
- and for dessert, Yogurtouille

If it finally stops raining by next weekend, there's also a nice little park within walking distance of downtown.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:42 am

I don't care where we meet. The east bay is a total dump, especially Berkeley, that place sucks so hard.

PS: I'll update my forum info when I damn well please. Never!

Rigatoni Rex
Spy vs. Pie
Location: San Francisco, CA, USA, Earth, Sol, some backwater part of the Milky Way

Post by Rigatoni Rex » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:06 am

I'm in SF, so Berkeley, Alameda, and San Mateo are all relatively equidistant.

If people are into booze and meat (ahem), T-Rex in Berkeley (very close to Pyramid) is a smokehouse with a ridiculous selection of whisk(e)y. I also like Pyramid or anywhere else where I can get a flight.

Thanks for organizing, Snark!

Rigs

slaphappy snark
Widdle Fudge Bunny

Post by slaphappy snark » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:34 pm

San Mateo is fine with me, if it works for everyone else. Any preferences between Kel's suggestions?

Also, thanks for the T-Rex suggestion, Rigs--even if we don't use it for this, it sounds like a place I'd like to try.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:37 pm

If we go to T-Rex, would I have to bring my T-Rex?

slaphappy snark
Widdle Fudge Bunny

Post by slaphappy snark » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:39 pm

Does he like whiskey? If so, he sounds like my kind of T-Rex.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:48 pm

As far as I can tell he only likes being cuddled.

slaphappy snark
Widdle Fudge Bunny

Post by slaphappy snark » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:27 pm

Sounds like a good buddy for you, stu.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:33 pm

Lies! Lies and slander!

slaphappy snark
Widdle Fudge Bunny

Post by slaphappy snark » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:41 pm

Whatever you say.

Raccoon
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by Raccoon » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:25 am

stupac2 wrote:Lies! Lies and slander!
FYI slander refers to oral statements; false, defamatory written statements are known as libel.

/pedantry :lol:
[img]http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u218/mad_hamish/raccoonsig.jpg[/img]

Serra725
AFH

Post by Serra725 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:22 pm

San Mateo sounds great to me!
Kelemvor wrote:- North Beach Pizza
- Pancho Villa Taqueria
- Little Szechuan
- Joy Luck Place (dim sum)
- Bombay Garden
- and for dessert, Yogurtouille

If it finally stops raining by next weekend, there's also a nice little park within walking distance of downtown.
Which of these places has kind of a fun atmosphere and will be okay with us staying at the table and talking for a while if the weather is bad?
Rigatoni Rex wrote: I also like Pyramid or anywhere else where I can get a flight.
What's a "flight?"

Kelemvor
AFH

Post by Kelemvor » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:38 am

I tried to list places I thought were delicious (although apparently Yelp semi-hates them all) and fit those requirements -- casual and would be ok with us hanging out. Of these, Pancho Villa probably fits that best; North Beach is a fairly small place and the others, while larger, tend to be a bit more eager to move people out.

Another consideration I have not thought of is whether they will be open at 3. I'm pretty sure Bombay Garden's delicious lunch buffet is not, for example.

However, I am fairly sure that Yogurtouille will let us hang out for quite some time.

Serra725
AFH

Post by Serra725 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:59 am

I'm fine with any of those; I think since you know them, you should just pick one. It sounds like, since you're talking about going to a different place for dessert, the restaurant hang-out time shouldn't worry us too much.

In other news, after months of being healthy, and after really looking forward to not coughing my head off at this gathering, I have a big tickle in my throat this morning! :evil: Maybe I will be through it and done by Saturday.

slaphappy snark
Widdle Fudge Bunny

Post by slaphappy snark » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:17 pm

Serra725 wrote:I'm fine with any of those; I think since you know them, you should just pick one. It sounds like, since you're talking about going to a different place for dessert, the restaurant hang-out time shouldn't worry us too much.
I agree with Serra--they all sound fine with me, as long as they're open.
In other news, after months of being healthy, and after really looking forward to not coughing my head off at this gathering, I have a big tickle in my throat this morning! :evil: Maybe I will be through it and done by Saturday.
It sounds like just the idea of hanging out with us makes you sick. Or at least one of us--this lets us rule out deus as the sick-maker. (Feel better!)

Rigatoni Rex
Spy vs. Pie
Location: San Francisco, CA, USA, Earth, Sol, some backwater part of the Milky Way

Post by Rigatoni Rex » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:36 am

Serra, a flight is when they give you small tastes of different brands... that way you can try different kinds and find one you really want instead of ordering something you end up not liking. Not sure why it's called a "flight", though... Hope you feel better, and maybe a hot toddy would help? :D

As for the options, most work except Joy Luck and Bombay:
North Beach Pizza is open 10am to 1am (3 stars)
Pancho Villa Taqueria is open 10am to midnight (4 stars)
Little Sichuan is open 11:30am to 10pm (3.5 stars)
Joy Luck Place is closed, per yelp
Bombay Garden is open 11am to 3:30pm then 5pm to 10:30pm (3.5 stars)
Yogurtouille is open 11am to 11pm (3.5 stars)

Kel, Pancho Villa sounds great... if it's anything like the one here in the Mission, it's good (screw yelp).

Rigs

Kelemvor
AFH

Post by Kelemvor » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:21 am

OK, Pancho Villa it is (it's the most casual, and it's right next to Yogurtouille, where parking is somewhat more plentiful). See you all Saturday!

slaphappy snark
Widdle Fudge Bunny

Post by slaphappy snark » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:28 am

Woo! See you guys Saturday!

slaphappy snark
Widdle Fudge Bunny

Post by slaphappy snark » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:20 pm

Serra and I were talking and think that we should do this again sometime soon--her preference is a Saturday in May (before summer vacation stuff). Also, doing something fun and outside would probably be nice if we can get another nice weekend. I don't have amazing ideas for this, but I'll start a list and hope that some of you cooler people have some good ones:
- mini golf
- bocce
- potluck picnic with maybe boardgames (!)
- baseball game (did this last year when deus was in town)
- sf zoo
- hydraulic model of the bay discussed upthread (will open at beginning of june)
Any dates, ideas, or anything else?
yay Rigs:
- musee mecanique
- friday nights at the de young

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:21 pm

Not May 14. I'll be out of town.

Serra725
AFH

Re: Bay Area AFHers - Again?

Post by Serra725 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:15 pm

I'll be out of town either or both of the 22 & 29th- my mom is getting her knee replaced and will need help. I probably have some birthday parties coming up on at least one free Saturday before then...

Wow, how about Jun 5?

Kelemvor
AFH

Post by Kelemvor » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:11 pm

I'm in Santa Cruz for a frisbee tournament June 5.

Of the remaining dates in May, I'm free the 8-9 and the 23rd, though if the other runs go terribly I might be locked indoors on the 9th attempting a last-ditch 2-day moxie run for PoF. :P

smanoli
Spy vs. Pie

Post by smanoli » Mon May 03, 2010 12:14 pm

I can't make anything in May, but I will be living in the Bay Area this summer Mid June - Mid September, so I'd love to join in then.

Rigatoni Rex
Spy vs. Pie

Re: KoL Meets

Post by Rigatoni Rex » Mon May 17, 2010 11:29 pm

Hey, Clannies,

This looks like a great opportunity for those in the Bay Area to get together: They Might Be Giants are playing a free concert for the finale of the Stern Grove concert season on August 22 (http://www.sterngrove.org/august22_10.html).

The opening (Rogue Wave) goes on around 2pm, and my picture is to get there early and have a picnic lunch.

Thoughts?

Rigs
Last edited by Rigatoni Rex on Mon May 24, 2010 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slaphappy snark
Widdle Fudge Bunny

Post by slaphappy snark » Mon May 24, 2010 7:46 pm

That sounds like fun, Rigs (I just realized that I moved your post but didn't actually respond!)

Rigatoni Rex
Spy vs. Pie

Post by Rigatoni Rex » Mon May 24, 2010 11:29 pm

Cool... let's circle back as the date gets closer. If anyone else has ideas for sooner stuff, that's great, too.

Rigs

Serra725
AFH

Post by Serra725 » Tue May 25, 2010 8:53 am

It does sound fun. Unfortunately the date isn't going to work for me. Maybe we can also plan something in Jun? Like maybe the 26th?

Kelemvor
AFH

Post by Kelemvor » Tue May 25, 2010 2:42 pm

Depending on whether I make the team, I'm potentially out of town on the 26th for an ultimate frisbee tournament.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Tue May 25, 2010 3:20 pm

I think if we're going to do meet-ups it might be best to take the Rigs approach: find something fun with a specific date, post "we should do this!" and then whoever can make it goes. I think the odds of scheduling something that everyone can make are ~0.

slaphappy snark
Widdle Fudge Bunny

Post by slaphappy snark » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:30 pm

Rigatoni Rex wrote:Hey, Clannies,

This looks like a great opportunity for those in the Bay Area to get together: They Might Be Giants are playing a free concert for the finale of the Stern Grove concert season on August 22 (http://www.sterngrove.org/august22_10.html).

The opening (Rogue Wave) goes on around 2pm, and my picture is to get there early and have a picnic lunch.

Thoughts?

Rigs
Anyone interested in Rigs's awesome idea?

Serra725
AFH

Post by Serra725 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:39 pm

Rigatoni Rex wrote:Hey, Clannies,

Seems like it's time to bump this! I am seriously thinking about ditching out of my normal plans and going. Reading the website, I see that the main audience area, Concert Meadow, is limited in capacity and closes when full, so Rig's idea of getting there early and picnicking is sounding really smart. There is an overflow area for people who get there after Concert Meadow closes, where you can hear but not see the concert (which wouldn't break my heart). I would especially hate for some of us to be in Concert Meadow, while some of us ended up in the overflow area.

Anyone else still planning on this?

(Snark: :P )

Rigatoni Rex
Spy vs. Pie

Post by Rigatoni Rex » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:25 pm

Hi, all,

Sorry I didn't promote this too much. I've been busy with work and travel, so I ended up canceling most of my events this weekend and going into work instead. I may not even be going to the concert, which doesn't sound like a big deal since no one confirmed as a "yes".

Rigs

Rigatoni Rex
Spy vs. Pie

Re: Bay Area AFHers - Again?... Again??

Post by Rigatoni Rex » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:49 pm

Ok, another last-minute get-together idea:
Sat Oct 2 is part of the free Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival in Golden Gate Park (http://strictlybluegrass.com/).

This is one of my favorite events of the year, possibly because I bring a bottle of whiskey and my cowboy hat and sit on a blanket talking with friends and playing card games all day while listening to awesome free music from the likes of Steve Earle, Gillian Welch, Bonnie Prince Billy, and others who don't mind long, run-on sentences.

If you all are... sorry... if y'all are interested in joining, post a note in this thread. I'm still thinking of a way to be visible so you can meet up (the crowd is huge) without blocking everyone's view. I generally set up a blanket as close to the Banjo Stage as I can get (http://strictlybluegrass.com/2009/HSB9_map.pdf, just don't be fooled by the Magneto-stylings of the map). Did I mention it's free?

Rigs

slaphappy snark
Widdle Fudge Bunny

Post by slaphappy snark » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:29 pm

Sounds fun, Rigs. I am interested!

Serra725
AFH

Post by Serra725 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:16 pm

I think it sounds fun, too, and I'll try to make it depending on what's going on with my crew at home. As far as finding each other, we could use our cell phones when we get there and get more specific details about exactly where the others are.

Rigatoni Rex
Spy vs. Pie

Post by Rigatoni Rex » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:23 pm

Yay! So, my experience has been that cell phones are entirely unreliable due to the density of people. We should figure out another plan if cells fail... any suggestions, since I won't know where I'll be until I'm there?

So zen...

Serra725
AFH

Post by Serra725 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:19 am

Ohhh. That's good to know. Maybe set up a very findable point to check every hour or something as a backup?

Rigatoni Rex
Spy vs. Pie

Post by Rigatoni Rex » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:25 am

That's what I'm thinking... and also that I could have something visible (like a towel on a stick) that people could see, but which wouldn't be as obtrusive as a big umbrella.

Serra725
AFH

Post by Serra725 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:32 pm

I forgot that we already have plans that weekend that weren't on the calendar, so I'm busy until 3:00 that day.

Edit: make that 5. Oh well.

Rigatoni Rex
Spy vs. Pie

Post by Rigatoni Rex » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:49 pm

Ha! Ok, well, I'll be there, and I'm putting an orange t-shirt or sweatshirt on a stick. I'll be near the Banjo Stage from 11am until probably 5ish. :D

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:05 am

Rigatoni Rex wrote:Ha! Ok, well, I'll be there, and I'm putting an orange t-shirt or sweatshirt on a stick. I'll be near the Banjo Stage from 11am until probably 5ish. :D
Sadly the AFH meeting (which happens like semiannually at this rate) is that day in the morning. Hopefully snark and I will be stopping by after that. I'll bring something really distinctive (like T-Rex), if I can remember.

Rigatoni Rex
Spy vs. Pie

Post by Rigatoni Rex » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:24 pm

I would love it if T-Rex made an appearance. My nieces loved the ones I got them.

Rigatoni Rex
Spy vs. Pie

Re: Bay Area AFHers - Again? - Again! (4/23/11)

Post by Rigatoni Rex » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:43 am

Ok, new plan: let's get together Saturday 4/23 for some great beer in SF. Location and exact time TBD, but post here if you can make it!

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:44 am

I'LL BE THERE.

slaphappy snark
Widdle Fudge Bunny

Post by slaphappy snark » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:46 am

Me me me!

williabr
Spy vs. Pie

Post by williabr » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:05 pm

Me!

Rigatoni Rex
Spy vs. Pie

Post by Rigatoni Rex » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:06 am

Sweet! If the weather is really nice, I may suggest the short hike to Corona Heights after visiting Healthy Spirits. That's one of my favorite parks in the city.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:15 am

I thought we were doing monk's kettle?

Rigatoni Rex
Spy vs. Pie

Post by Rigatoni Rex » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:55 am

Totally open for that, but if the weather is really great, it may be nicer to be outside. Of course, there's always the option to do both. Let's check weather as we get closer to Saturday to see which will make sense.

slaphappy snark
Widdle Fudge Bunny

Post by slaphappy snark » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:33 am

Rigs, does your idea involve open containers in the park? If so, I am all for it.
I do want to go to Monk's Kettle, and I think we can do all of those things in some order if we want to (with or without open containers).

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:01 pm

slaphappy snark wrote:Rigs, does your idea involve open containers in the park? If so, I am all for it.
>:|

williabr
Spy vs. Pie

Post by williabr » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:05 pm

No reason why we can't do everything. Monk's Kettle is only ~20 minute walk from the park (and definitely worth it).

But definitely agree with Rigs that we should take advantage of the weather if we get a nice day.

Rigatoni Rex
Spy vs. Pie

Post by Rigatoni Rex » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:12 am

I think Stu's getting his way given the outlook for the weather... what time do you think you all can make it to the city?

williabr
Spy vs. Pie

Post by williabr » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:30 am

I live in the city, so I'm really flexible.

I did just find out that I have dinner plans on Saturday night with some friends of my girlfriend who cancelled on us last weekend. So I will just be able to hang out during the daytime

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:19 am

We have no constraints.

Rigatoni Rex
Spy vs. Pie

Post by Rigatoni Rex » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:03 am

Ok, I'll suggest 3pm to get together, which will allow me to get a good night's sleep, work out, and eat before I start drinking. :-)

Let's meet at Monk's Kettle, and we should be able to get a table if we're ordering some snacks. Yay for the daily pickle!

slaphappy snark
Widdle Fudge Bunny

Post by slaphappy snark » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:17 am

Sounds great to me, Rigs! Thanks for taking the lead on getting this plan set. :)

williabr
Spy vs. Pie

Post by williabr » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:18 pm

Cool, see you all at 3. I'm going to bring my girlfriend along since she would be very jealous of me going to Monk's Kettle without her.

Rigatoni Rex
Spy vs. Pie

Post by Rigatoni Rex » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:19 pm

Awesome! Sounds like it'll be 5 of us, so whoever gets there first try to get a table. I'll see if I can get there a few minutes early.

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:27 pm

I'm jealous. Take pictures!

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:49 am

Rigs took at least one. It was of Snark's tiny, tiny stein.

williabr
Spy vs. Pie

Post by williabr » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:54 am

stupac2 wrote:Rigs took at least one. It was of Snark's tiny, tiny stein.
Which was amazing

Rigatoni Rex
Spy vs. Pie

Post by Rigatoni Rex » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:50 am

I also got one of the kwak block... and thankfully kwak sounds just like it should.
Great meeting you and the gf, williabr, and seeing Snark and Stu again!
Next time: tables.

slaphappy snark
Widdle Fudge Bunny

Post by slaphappy snark » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:32 pm

stu and I are going to this beerfest on July 2, if any of you SF or near SF folks want to meet up before or during. If we meet before beerfest, non-boozing thing preferred, at least for me.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:41 pm

slaphappy snark wrote:stu and I are going to this beerfest on July 2, if any of you SF or near SF folks want to meet up before or during. If we meet before beerfest, non-boozing thing preferred, at least for me.
Wuss.

Also, we went VIP. If you attend, go VIP. It's worth the $10.

williabr
Spy vs. Pie

Post by williabr » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:35 pm

I'll talk to the lady and see if she is interested (I am).