No Fifa World Cup thread? D:

Like the title says, anything and everything else goes here. As long as it follows the forum rules.

Moderator: Raccoon

Ringwraith
Inscrutable Pi

No Fifa World Cup thread? D:

Post by Ringwraith » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:06 am

I haven't watched a soccer match since I left home for NZ ~3years ago, so I'm not really supporting any specific country. I just know I'm looking forward to England raping the States tomorrow :twisted:

What about you guys?

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Re: No Fifa World Cup thread? D:

Post by thacon » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:32 am

Suendenbock
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Suendenbock » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:53 am

france wont make out of their group and the south korea game was hilarious

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:31 am

These shit vuvuzelas should have been banned, they are killing anything resembling an atmosphere. :evil:

This ain't culture, this is just brainless noise for 90 minutes. The ah's and oh's of the crowd, fan chants and choreographies are a million times better than this. :x

More on the games, I agree, if France doesn't up their game considerably, they will have big problems in the group. Oh, and Greece is already out, looks like 2004 was simply a fluke.

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Manendra » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:47 am

I hadn't gotten a chance to actually watch any of the games yet due to work. I'm watching the fightin' Messis vs Nigeria now, and fuck ME those goddamn horn things are annoying. It's like having the microphone jammed in a beehive, or under the hood of an RX8. Ugh.

Brulak
AFH

Post by Brulak » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:54 pm

I wasn't in the mood yesterday, but watched todays first two games live and caught up a bit on yesterday's games.

Group A: The horror. I suspect whoever will qualify for the next round will be eliminated the very next match afterwards. France again demonstrates how an incompetent team coach can turn a group of excellent players into a disappointing ensemble. My guess is France and Uruguay won't make it into the next round.

Group B: Greece looks like they have taken up the role Scotland played in the 70s thru 90s in world cups: not a single impressive moment, and you wonder all the time how these guys managed to qualify. Greece and Nigeria will have to travel home after the three group matches.

The noise: Annoying as Leafblowers.

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:54 pm

Hahahahaha. USA's goal against England was hilarious. I'll settle for a
tie, but a win would have been nice for the history books.
"Have you ever heard the expression, ‘When life gives you lemons, make lemonade, and then throw it in the face of the person who gave you the lemons until they give you the oranges you originally asked for?’"

Suendenbock
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Suendenbock » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:18 pm

The USA england was priceless just because all my friends had money on england not that i like usa but it was super amusing to see them tie!

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:32 pm

I just hope that 60% of all games end in ties from here on out.

Also, why are there only 2 games a day? I didn't realize group play took so long.

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:32 pm

The rest of the group stage will have three games per day. It was just the first day that only had two.

And that US goal was pretty pathetic. As an American fan, I was happy to see the draw. As a West Ham fan, I just felt bad for Robert Green.

Kevlar
Inscrutable Pi

Post by Kevlar » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:17 am

Green shouldn't even have been in the squad, let alone the team. Why the best English keeper isn't there is beyond me. Let's hope for England's sake that Green doesn't suffer the backlash that Robinson unfairly received.

Looking forward to the matches today, all the matches could go either way.
grrrrrrr

Suendenbock
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Suendenbock » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:40 am

UUUUUUH, Either way? Germany should better show up the aussies otherwise i will be a sad panda

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:57 am

Wow, if I'm getting up at 7am on a Sunday, I need my games to be better than Slovenia vs Algeria. That was one shitty match. And Algeria's goal keeper is pretty terrible. I don't think England or the USA will have any trouble with those teams.

Kevlar
Inscrutable Pi

Post by Kevlar » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:40 am

I can see Slovenia and Algeria proving to be really frustrating and hard for England to break down. Should be easy 3 pointers, but England will make a meal of it.

My girlfriend has started with the Germany songs in readiness for tonight... Goldi Goldi Goldi Poldi!!!
grrrrrrr

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Post by lotsofphil » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:22 pm

Kevlar wrote:I can see Slovenia and Algeria proving to be really frustrating and hard for England to break down. Should be easy 3 pointers, but England will make a meal of it.

My girlfriend has started with the Germany songs in readiness for tonight... Goldi Goldi Goldi Poldi!!!
If this is about who I think it's about, isn't he Polish?

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:44 pm

He plays for Germany though. And wow, what a blowout that game was!

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:53 pm

lotsofphil wrote:If this is about who I think it's about, isn't he Polish?
Podolski lives in Germany since he has been 2 and is well versed in German Carnival traditions (Cologne is one of the big places in German Carnival) :D. It's kinda silly to say that he's Polish. He has a Polish background (just like so many Americans have a European background), but he is German, otherwise he wouldn't play for Germany. I personally am kinda in a similar situation myself as my parents come from Poland and I have quite a few relatives there, although both my parents had a strong German background themselves (they wouldn't have been able to leave for West Germany during the Cold War otherwise), and let me tell you, if someone told me that I'm Polish, I'd laugh in their face.

Re the game: That's what I'm talking about and I'd like to see more of that! :D :D
Was cruising a couple of anglophone sports forums in advance to the WC since I like to read some different viewpoints than what I can get in the German media and always wondered why everyone held such a low opinion of the German squad, often not even mentioning them when talking about just the joint favourites of the tournament. Just because our players play in our own league instead of the oh so great Premier League doesn't mean they aren't any good. :P

Of course, the tournament is still long and it's far too early to celebrate anything, but that's a very nice start. =)

P.S.: The vuvuzelas are still annoying as hell and ought to be banned sooner rather than later. :evil:

Kevlar
Inscrutable Pi

Post by Kevlar » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:00 am

I was under the impression that Germany borrowed most of their strikers from other countries.... :roll:

(Just like the Irish did with their entire squad almost in '94, and the English cricket team do)

Germany game was great, Lahm played well (good drinking game is to have a chug after every time a commentator calls him "Llama") we weren't surprised one bit that they were good without Ballack.
Got Holland game on at work - disappointed I forgot to guess the scores in time on the yahoo thingy.
grrrrrrr

JParmar44
Admiral of Dance

Post by JParmar44 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:05 am

Player of the tournament, undoubtedly:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 737832.stm

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Post by lotsofphil » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:33 am

Flolle wrote:Podolski lives in Germany since he has been 2 and is well versed in German Carnival traditions (Cologne is one of the big places in German Carnival) :D. It's kinda silly to say that he's Polish. He has a Polish background (just like so many Americans have a European background), but he is German, otherwise he wouldn't play for Germany. I personally am kinda in a similar situation myself as my parents come from Poland and I have quite a few relatives there, although both my parents had a strong German background themselves (they wouldn't have been able to leave for West Germany during the Cold War otherwise), and let me tell you, if someone told me that I'm Polish, I'd laugh in their face.
OKay. Wasn't trying to wind you up or anything :). I guess I just remember him from Germany playing Poland in Euro 2008 (?I think that is where I know his name from).

Brulak
AFH

Post by Brulak » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:01 pm

Kevlar wrote:I was under the impression that Germany borrowed most of their strikers from other countries.... :roll:
That's a question of perspective, I guess. If somebody moves into another country and has their children grow up there - what's the nationality of the children? In which country would you feel at home: the country you grew up in or the one your parents grew up in?

Personally, I am very happy that Germany has changed in that respect over the last years. If you look at the German team, there are a number of players (nine of them, I think) with a non-German family background. Representative of the society here, but unthinkable to have those names on the national team twenty or thirty years ago.

Kevlar
Inscrutable Pi

Post by Kevlar » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:22 pm

Brulak - That comment was very tongue in cheek - Germany are my second team. If a player qualifies for selection and both he and the country want him to play, then it's better for all involved ;)
grrrrrrr

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Manendra » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:25 pm

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:24 am

Wow, what a finish by New Zealand! I was seconds away from having that pick correct...

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:03 am

thacon wrote:Wow, what a finish by New Zealand! I was seconds away from having that pick correct...
Wow, 35 seconds left in the game, pretty crazy.

Ringwraith
Inscrutable Pi

Post by Ringwraith » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:31 am

stupac2 wrote:
thacon wrote:Wow, what a finish by New Zealand! I was seconds away from having that pick correct...
Wow, 35 seconds left in the game, pretty crazy.
Ahahahhaa, excellent! I wish I could've seen that D:

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:41 am

After the first round of games from each group in the 2006 world cup, the teams combined to score 39 goals. With one game remaining in the same period of the 2010 world cup, the teams have combined to score only 24. Hopefully we'll see an exciting 13-2 Spanish win over the Swiss.

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:31 am

And they wonder why Americans don't like soccer...
"Have you ever heard the expression, ‘When life gives you lemons, make lemonade, and then throw it in the face of the person who gave you the lemons until they give you the oranges you originally asked for?’"

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:56 am

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:00 pm

Well damn, half my picks go wrong. But this time its OK. :D

All I can say is:
:lol:

Will have to see how this continues to play out, but maybe 2008 was a fluke and Spain is back to its old self that chokes in every single tournament.

But even if they win their other group matches now, there is a strong possibility that they won't be top of their group which means they could end up having to play Brazil in the best-of-16 knockout stage. :shock:

Oh, and since we already have football bashing in here yet again: The rest of the world doesn't really care about most of the American sports, so I'd say it's a fair trade. :P

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:10 pm

Here are my thoughts on Spain:

29/05/2010 Friendly: 3-2 over Saudi Arabia (barely)
14/10/2009 WC Qualifier: 5-2 over Bosnia-Herzegovina (big win, but really, 2 goals allowed here?)
10/10/2009 WC Qualifier: 1-2 over Armenia (really? You couldn't handle Armenia?)
12/08/2009 Friendly: 3-2 over Macedonia (I'll give them this one. Macedonia is a powerhouse of world football. Oh wait.)
28/06/2009 Confederations Cup: 3-2 over South Africa in extra time (I'll have to see more of South Africa before I judge this one too harshly)
24/06/2009 Confederations Cup: 2-0 loss to USA (Embarrassing. The USA sucks, right?)
17/06/2009 Confederations Cup: 1-0 over Iraq (Iraq?!)

Spain struggles to beat some shitty teams...

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:27 pm

That was at least an entertaining game to watch. I only caught the last 20 minutes or so, but damn if it wasn't fun to see spain struggling to score.

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:43 pm

I really thought that South Africa would get a boost from their solid start and home field advantage and be able pull off a draw. That hurt my bracket and South Africa's chances of advancing are dwindling.

My bracket is obviously more important than the happiness of an entire nation though. Yeah, that's the ticket.

ETA: Great game from Argentina!

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:48 pm

If the U.S. draws with Algeria and England draws with Slovenia, and England scores exactly two more goals than the U.S., the U.S. and England would be even on all tiebreakers for second place. The tie would be broken by drawing lots ... aka, a coin flip.

FIFA Rules

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:24 pm

US should have 4 points, that ref needs to be prosecuted for taking away that goal. One thing I've learned watching a lot of sports broadcasts, when unbiased announced are calling a call ridiculous, it was truly ridiculous.

Pet Rock Steve
Pie in the Sky

Post by Pet Rock Steve » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:29 pm

That made me want to break into my favorite referee jeer I've ever heard, "I'm blind! I'm deaf! I wanna be a ref!"

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:47 pm

It's worse than that since he didn't miss something, he made something up out of thin air. He's not blind, he's delusional.

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:41 am

I'm still filled with rage over that game. At least the ref is probably done.

edit: wow, Ghana did not look like they had a man advantage. It's like they were playing for the draw. I had picked that result but changed it at the last second to a 2-1 Ghana win. Bummer. That result means that if Serbia beats Australia and Ghana wins or draws with Germany, Germany doesn't make it through. That would be huge.

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:58 pm

Yeah, there was some rather dubious reffing in the games up until now. The ref of Ger-Ser was a clown and killed the game with pedantic calls.

Germany certainly received a setback with their 2nd game. I figured that the game would be close as can be seen by my 1:0 pick since Germany had it's problems with teams from the Balkan during tourneys for over 20 years now, but I obviously hoped that it would still be a win.

That said, I still think that Germany will push through as Ghana didn't look unbeatable in both games and Germany put up a good fight against Serbia with only 10 men. And it's not like it is a totally new situation for quite a few of the German players, as they faced a similar situation in the Euro 2008 and went on to the final then. Fun fact: Whenever Germany lost a game in the first group stage of a World Cup, they reached the final in that tournament (1954, 1974, 1982, 1986).

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:35 pm

Brulak
AFH

Post by Brulak » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:19 am

Flolle wrote:Yeah, there was some rather dubious reffing in the games up until now. The ref of Ger-Ser was a clown and killed the game with pedantic calls.
Yes to the first sentence - however, the ref of Ger-Ser was not that bad. He was rather free with his cards, which is pretty standard behaviour for spanish refs. All the teams have access to information on how the individual refs handle their games, so both teams knew they were in for. Klose got booked and sent off for stupidity. There was no need for the attacks leading to either card. That aside, no German complained about the ref who sent off Cahill (AUS) in the first game... ;-)

That aside, the quality of refs in the group games has been questionable throughout all world cups. Usually, the bad ones are weeded out by the quarterfinals. Worst ref I've seen so far was the guy who did Brazil vs. Ivory Coast yesterday. He overlooked a lot of hidden foul play over the first sixty minutes of the game; the second goal was irregular. This was what turned the game ugly near the end. Also, Brazilian theatralics - over the last 15 minutes they all went down as if mortally wounded.

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:55 am

Brulak wrote:Also, Brazilian theatralics - over the last 15 minutes they all went down as if mortally wounded.
The Ivorians were doing a fair bit of acting as well

Brulak
AFH

Post by Brulak » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:53 am

Agreed, thacon.

Yesterday, I only saw Spain and am unsure how to rate them. Next round could be the end for them with Portugal or Brazil as potential opponents.

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:52 pm

Here's my USA pipe dream. The USA beats Algeria tomorrow and the result of the England - Slovenia game are enough to let the USA win group C. Germany then beats Ghana and wins their group. The USA would then face Ghana, Serbia, or Australia in the round of 16. I'm hoping for Australia, but that would require them to blow out Serbia. If the USA can win that, which they would have a decent chance of doing, they would face either South Korea or Uruguay in the quarterfinals. That would also be winnable and they'd be guaranteed at least the 3rd place game and have a shot at making it to the finals.

MonsterERB
AFH

Post by MonsterERB » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:35 pm

A pipe dream, indeed. I'd be quite happy if the US advance. Bonus points if the US advance and the English do not. OH MY GOD THE ANGST AND SELF-LOATHING WOULD BE BEYOND IMAGINING. I'd need a comfy chair and a big bowl of popcorn for something like that.
<_<
>_>
Also, this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ioyt2zzm530
My pipe dream is that FIFA employs an instant replay system, in combination with a firing squad, to get rid of some of the outright thespianism that is going on. I don't watch soccer/football often... every time I tune in, I think to myself, "this is really enjoyable, why don't I watch more soccer?" Then I see a dive worthy of Sir Laurence Olivier, and I am reminded of one of the reasons why I don't. Also, ties. Good golly. I have no problem with a sport occasionally producing ties - overtime is not a requirement. Example - ice hockey. Ties are fairly common; perhaps 1 of every 4 or 5 games ends in a tie. But this World Cup, it seems that half of all games are ties. Also also, low scoring. I'm a spoiled American... I find it hard to enjoy a 1-0 or 0-0 game, no matter how much form/quality/class/whatever each side showed. Put the ball in the net. Make the net bigger. Put ankle weights and blinders on the goalie. Give players tranquilizer dart guns to fire at each other. Something. Argh.
<_<
>_>
GO USA!! :D
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/dvmaprezson/AFHV1.gif[/img]

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:49 pm

Some of those were pretty funny. I like when both players decide to dive at the same time.

And the draws will be done soon. There has to be a winner once we reach the knockout stage. (Although I'd rather see a draw than a game decided on penalties.)

MonsterERB
AFH

Post by MonsterERB » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:00 am

Landon Donovan. Goal in extra time. USA goes from out, to winning the group. Holy Moly. :shock: 8-) :D
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/dvmaprezson/AFHV1.gif[/img]

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:20 am

MonsterERB wrote:Landon Donovan. Goal in extra time. USA goes from out, to winning the group. Holy Moly. :shock: 8-) :D
Seriously. Although, to be fair, there was yet another inexplicably disallowed goal (although at least this one it was clear what the ref was thinking, he was just wrong. The last one was awful).

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:13 pm

That was insane. What a finish!

Pet Rock Steve
Pie in the Sky

Post by Pet Rock Steve » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:42 pm

I'm now amused that the disallowed goal in the USA v. Slovenia game did not affect who went to the round of 16 or where they are placed.

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Post by lotsofphil » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:52 pm

Pet Rock Steve wrote:I'm now amused that the disallowed goal in the USA v. Slovenia game did not affect who went to the round of 16 or where they are placed.
Child labor builds character.

(for some reason that is what came to mind)

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:22 pm

Somebody tell either Serbia or Ghana to score a goal. Or, hell, Germany for that matter, I like England-Germany a lot more than US-Germany.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:30 pm

Well Ghana it is. By no means a pushover, so the US had better have their act together.

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:11 pm

Pet Rock Steve wrote:I'm now amused that the disallowed goal in the USA v. Slovenia game did not affect who went to the round of 16 or where they are placed.
I don't think amused is the right word. Relieved, maybe. After the foul-that-wasn't and the offside-that-wasn't, I was ready to call for the US to withdraw their world cup bid and boycott the tournament until FIFA figured out a solution to the refereeing problem.

It was great fun watching the game with hundreds of screaming US soccer fans. I'm not used to having other people around who care about soccer. (I was here, but I stayed the hell away from the camera. I watched the late games with a bunch of Aussies. We nearly ended up with my optimal result. Too bad Australia/Germany couldn't score a few more goals.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:18 pm

I was just watching from my apartment (with a 7 AM start time on a work day it's hard to do much else), but still had a lot of fun jumping up and down with game.

The Germany-Ghana I only caught the second half at the local sandwich shop. It's really too bad that the last 15 minutes was played completely halfheartedly by both teams. I thought Germany would go for more goals, but oh well.

Pet Rock Steve
Pie in the Sky

Post by Pet Rock Steve » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:34 pm

thacon wrote:I don't think amused is the right word. Relieved, maybe. After the foul-that-wasn't and the offside-that-wasn't, I was ready to call for the US to withdraw their world cup bid and boycott the tournament until FIFA figured out a solution to the refereeing problem.
Relieved was my first reaction, but I saw enough sports writers ranting about the bad call that the schadenfreude in me could not help but laugh (even more so to those that didn't notice this).

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:36 am

And Italy are gone in a really exciting (at least the second half) game.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:42 am

thacon wrote:And Italy are gone in a really exciting (at least the second half) game.
Yeah, that was pretty awesome. The third Slovakian goal was pretty amazing. Plus it's always fun to see an underdog win.

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:40 pm

US off to another great start...

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:18 pm

The great part about that goal was that half the team fucked the pooch.

I also liked Findley's run, where if he had put the ball in the air at all it would have been in. Honestly, if we keep playing like this and don't come back, we'll have earned the loss.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:02 pm

Blah blah blah now the US stops caring about soccer.

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:09 pm

stupac2 wrote:Blah blah blah now the US stops caring about soccer.
August 10th - USA v Brazil. I'll be there.

But yeah, what a disappointing performance. They looked good for about 10 minutes in the second half and then they went back to playing like shit.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:16 pm

Yeah, the fact that they can only play like a world-class team for about half an hour out of every game means that even if they had managed to win this they would have just lost to Uruguay. Even if they won there, no way they'd win the semifinal, given Brazil/Chile/Netherlands. Any of those 3 play as well all game that we did when we were on.

Still good games left though. Spain-Portugal should be fun, gotta love a good Iberian showdown.

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:04 am

In the first half, Brazil played like only Brazil can. They were fantastic to watch. After the early second half goal, they just completely lost it. As beautiful as they looked in the first half is as terrible as they played in the second. Very disappointing from Brazil.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:08 am

I was rooting for the Netherlands (underdog and all that) so I was happy to see it. Plus, someone scored off of a corner kick! First time I'd seen that.

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:13 pm

Great game and the first step towards one of the classic internationals and my dream final (Ger-Ned). The Netherlands have a pretty good chance to reach the final, now Germany needs to do their part and boy would that be an accomplishment, that tourney tree gotta be the hardest in the tournament if they manage to walk it to the end. But that's probably looking too far ahead, first it's Argentina and then we'll see what happens. Although, if they beat Argentina, I think everything is possible (goddamn deja vu, I'm feeling as nervous as I did 2006).
stupac2 wrote:I was rooting for the Netherlands (underdog and all that) so I was happy to see it. Plus, someone scored off of a corner kick! First time I'd seen that.
o.O

Sorry, but the Netherlands are never an underdog as far as football is concerned, less likely to win sometimes sure, but not underdog. And this is coming from a German. >_>

Edit: Also, I love how close that world cup picking game is, the first 4-5 places are still wide open. :D

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:18 pm

Less likely to win = underdog, at least for me. Sure, it might be like a 40-60 underdog, but still.

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:29 pm

Err, that is a bit of a stretch definitionwise I feel, I'd say teams like Paraguay are underdogs. But if you see it that way it's a viable enough viewpoint I guess.

Kevlar
Inscrutable Pi

Post by Kevlar » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:30 pm

stupac2 wrote: Plus, someone scored off of a corner kick! First time I'd seen that.
Wasn't the first Brazil goal in the last round from a corner?
grrrrrrr

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:57 pm

I didn't see the first half of that game, watching them while at work is tricky.