Dropbox DropQuest

Like the title says, anything and everything else goes here. As long as it follows the forum rules.

Moderator: Raccoon

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Dropbox DropQuest

Post by thacon » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:02 pm

This seems like it's right up AFH(k)'s alley.
Dropquest is a multi-step scavenger hunt that will test your wits and knowledge. Expect to hop around the Dropbox site and the internet to find answers to easy and not-so-easy puzzles.
Prizes range from 1GB of dropbox space for simply completing the puzzle to 50GB of dropbox space and some swag for being the first. If nothing else, as long as one of us can solve it, we can all get an extra GB of space. (Assuming you use dropbox, which you should, because it's awesome)

http://blog.dropbox.com/?p=593

lostcalpolydude
Forum Maestro

Re: DropQuest

Post by lostcalpolydude » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:04 pm

I found that Dropbox is only usable with symbolic links, and moving to Windows means that I don't have symbolic links any more, so I switched to SugarSync. Among other things, it has 5 GB for free instead of 2. But that is a lot of free space, so it sounds cool.
bmaher: Softcore character
lostcalpolydude: Hardcore character (abandoned)

quamper
Leaks

Post by quamper » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:11 pm

Windows has something akin to symbolic links using the command mklink.

I do that with my steam save gaves for games that don't have steam cloud support.

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:39 pm

Why is it only usable with symbolic links? I'll admit that all I really ever use dropbox for is storing my mafia files so that I can play from home or work without maintaining different files.

lostcalpolydude
Forum Maestro

Post by lostcalpolydude » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:39 pm

If you only back up one type of thing, then it's simple enough to put it in the Dropbox folder. If you're backing up several things, then it gets a bit weird putting all those folders into the Dropbox folder, unless you're using it as a replacement for My Documents or something. That works, but I liked the fact that I don't need to do it that way with SugarSync.
bmaher: Softcore character
lostcalpolydude: Hardcore character (abandoned)

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:15 pm

I guess I've been spoiled by KoL puzzles because this one seemed rather pedestrian in comparison. It was more scavenger hunt than puzzle, but it was entertaining enough. If anyone cares to try it and needs a hint, let me know. The hardest part was getting around the DDOS they unwittingly unleashed on their site.

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Re: Dropbox DropQuest

Post by thacon » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:15 am

For those of you who use dropbox, you can get an extra 5GB of space by testing the latest beta builds and using automatic photo/video uploading. 500MB for the first upload and then 500MB additional space for each 500MB uploaded up to a total of 5GB.

Android

Desktop

noway258
Spy vs. Pie

Re: Dropbox DropQuest

Post by noway258 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:28 pm

Ooh, thanks for that head-up. That's a really nice bonus to storage space. :)