Raccoon vs the body mass index (I won!!!)

Like the title says, anything and everything else goes here. As long as it follows the forum rules.

Moderator: Raccoon

Snaelda
Inscrutable Pi

Re: Raccoon vs the body mass index (I won!!!)

Post by Snaelda » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:24 pm

I think I've been around too many dieting/exercise addicted women. Your goals and method and food all seem fine and also, congratulations, don't think I said that before :)

Raccoon
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by Raccoon » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:02 am

Snaelda wrote:I think I've been around too many dieting/exercise addicted women. Your goals and method and food all seem fine and also, congratulations, don't think I said that before :)
Thanks!
[img]http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u218/mad_hamish/raccoonsig.jpg[/img]

Raccoon
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by Raccoon » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:17 pm

NardoLoopa wrote:Hence the problem of "thin" as a goal instead of "healthy".
Speaking of "healthy," got my blood work results (normal physical exam) last week.

I once had a total cholesterol level of 228, with the LDL ("bad") level at 180, both of which were pretty bad, especially since I was only 33 at the time. The current recommendation is for total cholesterol < 200 and LDL < 130. I've also had triglycerides around 300 a different time; you're supposed to be < 150.

But my results this time were total cholesterol of 146, with LDL of 82, and triglycerides at 86. HDL ("good") was at 45, which means the total:HDL ratio was just over 3-1, which is safely below the 5-1 maximum.

I'm definitely eating better than I was at 33, and I don't work in a law firm anymore, which is definitely an improvement, but it feels good to be "healthy."

JennyUnderpants
Cheats at Words With Friends

Post by JennyUnderpants » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:54 am

Hey!! That's fantastic news! Great job, Raccoon :)

Raccoon
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by Raccoon » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:51 pm

Interesting article from Tara Parker-Pope (NYT's health writer) about the difficulty of sustained weight loss. I think some of the diet plans discussed in the article sound absolutely insane -- like 550 calories per day(!).

It's been about six months since I hit my goal, and I've maintained my weight since then. (Actually, I've been about 5-8 pounds below it.) I think I have a few advantages relative to the subjects of Parker-Pope's article. First, I wasn't obese to start with (or even overweight, according to the BMI), which meant the amount of weight I was looking to lose was much less. 20 pounds seems considerably more achievable than 100+. Second, I have a pretty cool job with incredibly flexible hours that allowed me to develop and feed a voracious exercise addiction.

Even so, after six months, I continue to log my eating and exercise every day, and try to balance my calorie intake. I actually run an estimated calorie deficiency of about 1000 per week, but my weight's been pretty stable, so I guess I either underestimate the portion sizes of what I eat, or I've overestimated my metabolic resting burn rate (i.e., more like 1850 calories per day instead of 2000). I don't deprive myself of anything, but I don't eat much cheese these days, and I hardly ever have ice cream. I avoid mayonnaise, although that's fairly easy because I don't like the stuff. I drink a lot of water, but I have a regular (real sugar, not HFCS) soda many nights. The biggest eating change that I've had to make consciously is reducing/altering night time snacking. After 9 pm, I try to eat fruit, rather than potato chips or stuff like that. I can definitely see how it would be easy to slip back into bad habits.

NardoLoopa
Market Manipulator

Post by NardoLoopa » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:39 pm

Glad to hear you made it through the holidays, Rac.

I was in Croatia with family and my eating was nowhere near controlled. I'd finish dinner, thinking that was it only to find out there was another course (a different local delicacy that takes lots of time to make -- and thus can't be refused). It went like that from xmas to 3 days into the new year. Perpetual mild drinking. Lots of greasy meat like prosciutto and kulan. Good cheese. Lots of great stuff. Anyway, way over my usual intake of calories.

So, since I couldn't control my intake, I controlled the output: ran 50miles a week.

I think I still gained 3lbs (arguably scale difference / water weight). Should be easy to take off, but it still surprised me.

Raccoon
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by Raccoon » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:38 pm

Okay, this is getting kind of ridiculous. I have been eating about 2500 calories most days, but I am still 7 pounds below what I had set as my target weight in the beginning of this thread. (Though, I actually kind of like being 5 pounds below that target weight, but I'm still below that new ideal.)

Today, after an eight mile run, I hit a new low -- BMI of 19.9(!). Now, some of that is water loss, and rehydrating will bump me up a bit. But still, 19.9??? Guess I'm going to go pig out on a big cheeseburger or something.

NardoLoopa
Market Manipulator

Post by NardoLoopa » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:53 pm

wow, that's odd, Rac. Though, I swam for 1.5mi and found my weight had dropped 3lbs -- I thought for sure it would have gone up from being 'water-logged' ;).

I'm hovering around 22.1 now. It's odd, I'm running all these miles, and I'm eating more fruit but otherwise the same amount I usually eat, yet I'm not dropping weight like you are. Tapeworm?

Geeze, if I went down to 19.9, I'd be a rail.

Raccoon
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by Raccoon » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:20 pm

NardoLoopa wrote:wow, that's odd, Rac. Though, I swam for 1.5mi and found my weight had dropped 3lbs -- I thought for sure it would have gone up from being 'water-logged' ;).

I'm hovering around 22.1 now. It's odd, I'm running all these miles, and I'm eating more fruit but otherwise the same amount I usually eat, yet I'm not dropping weight like you are. Tapeworm?

Geeze, if I went down to 19.9, I'd be a rail.
Well, I don't have any of the symptoms of a tapeworm, apart from the weight loss. But that's not very helpful, since there often are no symptoms . . . . Still, I doubt that's what it is. I tend to run an estimated calorie deficit, although I just figured that I probably underestimate my caloric intake. Maybe I'm being more accurate these days and just need to eat a little more?

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:55 pm

Sorry to jack your thread but I've been thinking about joining a gym. The one problem though is it would have to be after work... and I don't get off work until 6PM or later, meaning that even if I went straight there after changing I'd probably be at the gym at 6:30. And by then I'm already hungry for dinner. Is it okay to work out after dinner? Can I eat a full meal or should I eat a snack or something, hit the gym, and then eat dinner? That last option seems the most sensible but I tend to get cranky when I break meal routines.
"Have you ever heard the expression, ‘When life gives you lemons, make lemonade, and then throw it in the face of the person who gave you the lemons until they give you the oranges you originally asked for?’"

NardoLoopa
Market Manipulator

Post by NardoLoopa » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:04 pm

6:30 is perfect. By that time most of the gym crowd has thinned out for dinner.

I suggest a cliff-bar around 4pm to help you get through. Eating after a workout is a great way to replenish carbs (w/in 2hrs) and protein (w/in 15min-30mins).

Raccoon
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by Raccoon » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:14 am

NardoLoopa wrote:6:30 is perfect. By that time most of the gym crowd has thinned out for dinner.

I suggest a cliff-bar around 4pm to help you get through. Eating after a workout is a great way to replenish carbs (w/in 2hrs) and protein (w/in 15min-30mins).
+1