Steam (the thread previously known as TF2)

Like the title says, anything and everything else goes here. As long as it follows the forum rules.

Moderator: Raccoon

JParmar44
Admiral of Dance

Steam (the thread previously known as TF2)

Post by JParmar44 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:03 pm

TF2, or Team Fortress 2 as it is properly named, is now free to play! It's a multiplayer, team based shoot em up that has a similiar style & feel to the Incredibles. It's really fun and I recommend you guys to all try it!

If we have enough AFH/k'ers we could organise some inclan matches. So, get downloading and add me on steam as "jparmar44" (imaginative, eh?)
Last edited by JParmar44 on Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Re: TF2

Post by Eigenbasis » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:22 pm

My Steam page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/hothands

I normally play on the Reddit Great Lakes server: 67.202.71.175:27015
"Have you ever heard the expression, ‘When life gives you lemons, make lemonade, and then throw it in the face of the person who gave you the lemons until they give you the oranges you originally asked for?’"

jtay
Woodpuzzle

Post by jtay » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:40 pm

I added you two on my account jtay3000.

Anyone else feel free to add me; I play TF2 and counterstrike source on steam.
Ingame: WoodPuzzle (#972449)

JParmar44
Admiral of Dance

Post by JParmar44 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:41 pm

I've started a group on steam for AFH/k and friends. Nudge a member to let you in :)
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/afhk

Verdigris97
Colonel Contest

Post by Verdigris97 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:29 pm

Apparently my download will finish sometime tomorrow morning. Ugh.

Verdigris97
Colonel Contest

Re: Steam (the thread previously known as TF2)

Post by Verdigris97 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:18 am

Got TF2 over the weekend and played through a bunch of rounds (mostly payload), and then picked up and ran through Portal last night (4.2 hours. Awesome game. Creepy!). I started dreaming about using portals to get to better sniping locations in TF2. You bastards.

Oh, and I'm SNIG. I friendquested the AFH/k'ers I recognized by icon (and Pantsmore), but there aren't many SNIGs except Quamper. Is there a particular reason for that, or were the names just taken?
Last edited by Verdigris97 on Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jtay
Woodpuzzle

Post by jtay » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:18 pm

You can change your name in steam, it's not (necessarily) the same as your account name. Msg me if you want to play a game or two if you're on, I enjoy pretty much everything except capture the flag
Ingame: WoodPuzzle (#972449)

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:55 pm

Yep. Just to be confusing, you can have a different account name, nickname, and profile URL. I just link to my profile when I want someone to friend me, which has a link to send a friend request.
"Have you ever heard the expression, ‘When life gives you lemons, make lemonade, and then throw it in the face of the person who gave you the lemons until they give you the oranges you originally asked for?’"

JParmar44
Admiral of Dance

Post by JParmar44 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:47 pm

I'd quite like to organise some online games, but until we get more people I think it's easier to just friend each other and joing each others "game in progress"'

Verdigris97
Colonel Contest

Post by Verdigris97 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:02 am

I'm slowly getting the hang of TF2. (Although I have not played for nearly as much time as my Steam profile claims. I think my download time counted for "playing" time, as well as the nights I had the application open, but was not in a game.)

Anyhoo, I have accumulated a bunch of crates I will never open, and some other stuff, and was wondering if anyone wanted them, or wanted to trade for them. (Is trading easy, or a PIA? When I'm on a server I usually want to focus on playing the game...)

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:47 am

Basically trading has settled down to the point where you have to either go to a trading server to do it or use an external site to organize things first (like tf2tp.com or reddit.com/r/tf2trade). Also, crates are worthless. Almost everyone has way too many of them.

Verdigris97
Colonel Contest

Post by Verdigris97 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:44 am

Good to know. Do most people just discard them?

quamper
Leaks

Post by quamper » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:01 pm

Bump!

I'm going to add an a TF2 event to the group schedule for this weekend, lets see if we can get 3-4+ people all together at the same time. No particular server in mind at the moment but probably something vanilla koth/payload/etc versus surfing/races/prophunt (this time ;-) )

Verdigris97
Colonel Contest

Post by Verdigris97 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:11 pm

I ended up playing on the same server as Quamper last night (really long, drawn out battle; push-of-war with some fairly skilled players) for a little while and it was a blast.

I don't have a microphone, so I don't get the complete immersion, but it was still a load of fun.

(I'm thinking about getting a cheap headset just so I can participate a little more. "Spy behind you! Stickies on the point!")

Anyway, great for a quick shot of adrenaline, or rage release if you've had a particularly crappy day...

Verdigris97
Colonel Contest

Post by Verdigris97 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:34 pm

Sorry for the double post. In addition to TF2, there's a co-op mode in Portal 2 I've been itching to try. Is anyone interested in being invited to join if they are online and playing Portal? I love the game, and I'd like to see that content, but can't figure out how to rig it so that I can see those tests.

(I thought there'd be a way to switch between the two players, like the TAB key or something, but apparently they want you to have actual friends... :) )

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:32 am

Wait, you haven't played the portal 2 coop? It's like a totally new set of levels. At any rate, I've already gone through it twice, but I'm sure someone else would want to play it.

playultm8
Gatekeeper of Hell

Post by playultm8 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:18 am

So I loaded TF2 for the first time in ages. This game has changed a ton. I think they had just added the first set of achievements to the Pyro when I last played. Now it's hats everywhere. Anyway, I'm a bit lost, and the clan server I used to play on is gone. Where are you folks playing at mostly?

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:19 am

You also managed to come back during the Halloween event, so everything's super crazy.

I usually play on the Reddit servers, specifically Great Lakes (because it's closest to me). All of the following servers have 24 players and a good map list. Great Lakes has no crits, but I think WestToo and Dirty South have crits.

Great Lakes: 96.8.112.102:27015
West Coast: 66.151.138.84:27015
West TOO: 64.94.100.43:27015
Dirty South: 74.207.237.53:27015

You can also click the new "Play Now" feature. That will bring you to the Valve stock servers. The players there are usually newer and more newbish.

As for new weapons... don't flip out over them too much, for the most part. I use stock weapons for the most part, except there are a few melee weapons that are strictly better. These are my loadouts:

Scout: stock
Soldier: Rocket Launcher, Shotgun, Equalizer
Pyro: I switch around between Backburner and Degreaser, and Shotgun and Flare Gun. Always Axtinguisher.
Demo: stock
Heavy: Minigun, Sandvich, GRU
Engineer: either Jag, Wrangler, Shotgun for long distance sentries or Gunslinger, Frontier Justice, Pistol for "battle engineer"
Medic: Medigun, Syringe Gun, Ubersaw
I don't really play Sniper or Spy.

quamper
Leaks

Post by quamper » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:31 pm

without further context I'm going to assume that means you were playing