Bay Area folks! Hang out Pantsless weekend of October 15!

Like the title says, anything and everything else goes here. As long as it follows the forum rules.

Moderator: Raccoon

slaphappy snark
Widdle Fudge Bunny

Bay Area folks! Hang out Pantsless weekend of October 15!

Post by slaphappy snark » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:26 pm

Pants will be in town the weekend of October 15, and we should all hang out with him! We will also get to meet the mythical Mrs. Pants, supposedly.

I can volunteer my place in San Rafael for a potluck/board-gaming time and/or some local bocce fun. Depending on where all people are coming from, something in the city or the east bay might be more central.

Interest? Thoughts?

slaphappy snark
Widdle Fudge Bunny

Re: Bay Area folks! Hang out Pantsless weekend of October 15

Post by slaphappy snark » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:30 pm

I am posting this here for me because I am forgetful--sounds like both play and V are likely able to come into the area from the far reaches, so probably Saturday will be best to allow for travel to and fro.

Verdigris97
Colonel Contest

Post by Verdigris97 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:52 am

I am lobbying heavily with the missus so I can get up there. I'm at about 75% yes for this, so I'm planning as if I'm going to go.

Woohoo!

(I really should try to do this kind of thing more often...)

playultm8
Gatekeeper of Hell

Post by playultm8 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:06 am

I am also still in the lobbying phase of the process. :)

williabr
Spy vs. Pie

Post by williabr » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:43 pm

Hooray! I'm in!

Rigatoni Rex
Spy vs. Pie
Location: San Francisco, CA, USA, Earth, Sol, some backwater part of the Milky Way

Post by Rigatoni Rex » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:47 pm

I would love to see everyone!

I have a previous engagement Saturday night, but I could do Saturday day or Friday night.

Pantsless
Fie the Pie

Post by Pantsless » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:06 am

Someone needs to dig Kelemvor up and make him come to this.
[quote="Serra725"]What did you use for the structural part of the bear?[/quote]

slaphappy snark
Widdle Fudge Bunny

Post by slaphappy snark » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:47 pm

People who are maybes, status updates?
Any thoughts on what to do? Like I said, playing board games at my place in San Rafael is an option (although it turns out bocce isn't, sad), but that isn't necessarily central to everyone. Oakland Zoo? Potluck-y thing at some park?

Verdigris97
Colonel Contest

Post by Verdigris97 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:24 am

I am even more likely to attend than before. 85% chance? 90%? *rolls 2d10*

playultm8
Gatekeeper of Hell

Post by playultm8 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:08 pm

Our neighbors just invited us to their sons birthday 5th birthday that afternoon/evening, so it looks like I'm stuck in Sacramento for the day. So many kid birthday events these days......

Pour one out for me, and for my dead social life. :D

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:20 pm

You need to attend that... why?

Serra725
AFH

Post by Serra725 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:08 pm

I'd like to come! (Assuming it's Saturday.) Should I wear a zombie costume? ;)

Verdigris97
Colonel Contest

Post by Verdigris97 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:57 pm

stupac2 wrote:You need to attend that... why?
Unfortunately, that question does not have a rational answer. Ever.

top1214
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by top1214 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:17 pm

Verdigris97 wrote:
stupac2 wrote:You need to attend that... why?
Unfortunately, that question does not have a rational answer. Ever.
Does that mean the answer is (phonetically) "Aye?"

slaphappy snark
Widdle Fudge Bunny

Post by slaphappy snark » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:25 pm

Serra725 wrote:I'd like to come! (Assuming it's Saturday.) Should I wear a zombie costume? ;)
Yay Serra! I'm not going to say that you have to wear the costume, but I'd really like to see it...

slaphappy snark
Widdle Fudge Bunny

Post by slaphappy snark » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:56 pm

Pantsless wrote:Someone needs to dig Kelemvor up and make him come to this.
stu made this happen, we will likely have a Kel.

Any input from anyone on what to do? :)

Pantsless
Fie the Pie

Post by Pantsless » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:10 pm

Yay Serra and Kel!

Talked to my wife about this a bit. We're flexible, but here's a suggestion to get the ball rolling:

Would you guys be interested in doing any sightseeing with us in the afternoon, preceded by lunch somewhere and/or followed by dinner somewhere? I don't know what to suggest because I don't know what you locals have already seen/done in the area, but here are some things that caught my eye on Tripadvisor:

- Alcatraz
- Exploratorium
- California Academy Of Sciences
- Ferry Building Marketplace (Farmers Market)
- Cable Car museum
- Angel Island
- Musee Mecanique
- Fisherman's Wharf

Thoughts on that general plan, or on any of the specific places I mentioned (or cool things that I didn't mention)? Input appreciated!

slaphappy snark
Widdle Fudge Bunny

Post by slaphappy snark » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:25 pm

That sounds like a fantastic plan to me. I'm not sure why touristy stuff didn't occur to me, even in my shabby set of ideas that aren't my apartment. Musee Mecanique seems up our alley and is something I've been meaning to check out sometime. I'd really be happy with anything on the list, though, and I'll look into/think about some other stuff like that.

williabr
Spy vs. Pie

Post by williabr » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:12 am

I actually haven't done alcatra yet, but if you want to do it you should book now. The tour can sell out a month or 2 in advance. Also, I've heard that the night tour is much better.

Pantsless
Fie the Pie

Post by Pantsless » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:28 am

Alcatraz Night Tour is already sold out for the entire time we'll be there, but there's still quite a few slots left for day tours on both Friday and Saturday. As soon as I know for sure what the consensus is in this thread I'll book my tickets (Saturday if you guys want to go, Friday for just the wife and I if you don't).

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:41 pm

Pinball museum? Then we could go to our favorite indian place after.

Verdigris97
Colonel Contest

Post by Verdigris97 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:16 am

Wooo! Good Indian food! And Musee Mechanique is (well, used to be, at least, I haven't been there in years) cheap and cool.

SF is just a great city for walking all over the place, too, so whatever we end up doing we can also wander around any number of neat neighborhoods. I love the city.

I'm up for anything!

And I'm lazy. Don't forget lazy. Oh, and cheap, too.

slaphappy snark
Widdle Fudge Bunny

Post by slaphappy snark » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:46 am

Barry pointed out that Alcatraz might be tough with this many people (I think we have 10 or so).
The pinball museum and Indian place that stu mentioned are in Alameda, so don't really play well with other options.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:57 pm

Also, Barry and I (although others are welcome) are going to a beer festival at this place in Hayward that morning. So something that's marginally near the SF BART would be really nice, or just doing things that are "we'll walk around a bunch".

If anyone else is interested (verdi?) it's a Wet Hop festival, which means beers made with fresh hops, as opposed to the hop pellets they use most of the time (the hop harvest was about a month ago, so the beers are just coming out). If you like hops, it should be AWESOME. It starts at 11, we'll probably go right then so we can drink up and still make the rest of the party.

williabr
Spy vs. Pie

Post by williabr » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:42 am

yeah, Alcatraz would be tough to coordinate. Also tough to do if anybody has monetary restraints.

Moving around the city and doing a lot of the other things on the list would be decently easy to do and not cost much. But the more things we try to pack into one day as a group the more time we'll spend milling about waiting for buses and coordinating getting from a to b.

I've heard good things about CAS. Its also in a park that has a ton of things to do.

At the end of the day - I live here and can do these things whenever I want. So I'm totally on board for anything.

Pantsless
Fie the Pie

Post by Pantsless » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:22 pm

Ok, so, if everyone is cool with it, I think we'll meet up for lunch, then walk around and do stuff. Here are the current leading choices in my mind:

1. Get lunch in the Fisherman's Wharf area, then do Musee Mecanique and/or Exploratorium, walk around that area, grab dinner later. One thing I can't figure out from reviews online: Is the Fisherman's Wharf area the fun kind of touristy, or the shitty kind of touristy? Good for our group?

2. Get lunch somewhere near Golden Gate park, then go to CAS and walk around the park for a while. Grab dinner later.

Anyone have any input on those choices, in terms of whether they are good ideas, whether they are impractical for our group, whether they are actually fun, etc? I'm still open to other suggestions as well.

Also, for either of those choices, recommendations for lunch or dinner in the area?

Looking forward to seeing you guys woooooooooo

Verdigris97
Colonel Contest

Post by Verdigris97 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:47 pm

This is for Saturday, right? Fisherman's wharf has a few parts that are the shitty kind of touristy, (I think I read that 38% of the structural supports of Pier 39 are made of funnel cake), but other parts are fine.

Both options are good, and allow for a lot of flexibility. San Francisco has so many restaurant in those areas that the locals should be able to pick something great.

Option 1 keeps us on the west side, and I don't have any experience with the restaurants over there. Option 2 starts on the west and could potentially end up near Chinatown/Union Square/Columbus Ave., which has a lot of good dinner-type choices.

I am getting excited about this. (And please disregard my "cheap" comment, earlier, I was just trying to be funny. It should not be taken as a limitation on the agenda this weekend!)

Kelemvor
AFH

Post by Kelemvor » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:53 pm

Hey neat! My login still works.

I'm a big fan of CAS, which has lots of neat exhibits and is very San Francisco. I have a membership, so I can get someone in for free; however, this doesn't do the rest of you any good, and the lines on weekends, especially when it's nice out, can be horrendous. But if you're willing to brave the lines and the crowd, it's awesome; I'd totally be down to go even though I've been several times, and the food there isn't bad, either. (And finding parking can be tolerable.) If the wait is really terrible, there's other stuff to do in the park, but I think CAS is far and away the best.

Fisherman's Wharf is pretty touristy but it's kind of neat. Sea lions are fun. I think parking is shitty, but hey, funnel cake!. Mmm, funnel cake.

The only caveat here from my end is that I just transferred to a new group within my company, and we're smack in the middle of crunch mode. I'm coming off a 70 hour week and currently at work (the rest of the company has today off). Not complaining -- I like what I do -- and I think I should be able to get away for a few hours in the afternoon on Saturday, but you probably shouldn't base your decision on me since there's a reasonable likelihood I'll have to bail. :( :(

williabr
Spy vs. Pie

Post by williabr » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:49 pm

Verdigris97 wrote:(I think I read that 38% of the structural supports of Pier 39 are made of funnel cake),
It sounds reasonable enough that I'm just going to trust it as fact.

Rigatoni Rex
Spy vs. Pie
Location: San Francisco, CA, USA, Earth, Sol, some backwater part of the Milky Way

Post by Rigatoni Rex » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:01 am

Very excited to see everyone this weekend! My suggestion is to meet at the Ferry Building, which has a great farmer's market on Saturdays, and it's also really close to Embarcadero BART. If that sounds good, the easiest place to meet might be on the southeast corner of the Ferry Building where the Sur La Table entrance is located. When works for people? 11am? Noon?

From there, it's about a mile and half walk to Musee Mecanique, and we'll pass the Tcho Chocolate Factory on the way. Or, we can hop on the F line (bring $2, since they don't give change).

Getting from Musee Mecanique to CAS/GG Park is going to be easiest with cars or cabs. If you're driving, there's a big parking structure near Pier 39/Fisherman's Wharf as well as underground in front of CAS (mostly free parking on the park streets if you can snag it). If you do want to use public transportation, the N Line from Embarcadero MUNI will get closest to CAS quickest.

I'll also send another note to Teel, since he wanted to meet up, too.

Pantsless
Fie the Pie

Post by Pantsless » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:40 am

That sounds like an awesome plan, if we actually have time to do all that stuff. Can we actually fit all that in with the time we have?

Lunch at 11am sounds good either way.

Serra725
AFH

Post by Serra725 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:10 pm

I think I'm going to take Caltrain up, which can arrive at 10:35. The Caltrain station is in the general area of the Ferry Building, but I'm guessing I wouldn't want to / have time to walk to the Ferry Building by 11:00. If someone can swing by and pick me up, let me know, but otherwise I'm happy to take a cab- I assume they're not hard to find near the train station?

slaphappy snark
Widdle Fudge Bunny

Post by slaphappy snark » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:04 pm

Yay Rigs, forcefully setting a plan! (Sounds good to me!) I think we have plenty of flexibility in that plan, too--I'd be happy just poking around GG park (or going to the de young...) if it ends up being on the late side to go to CAS, especially if it's a nice day.
I'm undecided about my car management, but since it sounds like it will likely be handy for later stages, I will probably be driving into SF with the Pantses, in which case I can pick you up, Serra. At the end of the day I'll also have stu in tow, so we'll have to do a little more space management, but it seems like there should be some options.
I know that (probably drunken versions of) Stu and Barry (I'm just calling you that now, williabr) will be coming in a little later after having some fresh-hopped goodness--if anyone else isn't up for 11am meetup and wants contact info, go ahead and forum pm me. I am the worst at phone, so if there's anyone else who would be willing to hand out their phone number to internet strangers, that would probably be a good idea.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:44 pm

I won't be able to make 11. I probably won't be able to make anything before 1. Don't let that prevent you from doing things, just saying, I won't be there.

Rigatoni Rex
Spy vs. Pie

Post by Rigatoni Rex » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:49 am

CAS closes at 5pm and Musee Mecanique closes at 8pm. It should be possible to hit both, but it all depends how much time is spent at each.

I think we have a decent tentative plan, and we can see where the day takes us. If we stick with 11am at the Southeast corner of the Ferry Building (the Sur La Table corner) to meet, early people can grab lunch, wait for the late stragglers, and send texts to those showing up later (like StuBarry) with where to meet.

I have Snark's cell, and does everyone else have at least one person's contact information? If not, PM either me or Snark (since she also offered), so we can be in touch on Saturday.

Yay for plans and !pants! :-)

EDIT - Serra, I don't think you should have a problem getting a cab at the station

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:47 pm

(401) 954-3872

Also, in addition to coming late I might leave early, while Stanford's not at home they're my team...

sleepy_worm
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by sleepy_worm » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:46 pm

Hello.

Pantsless invited me to see him this weekend while he was in town, so I will probably be around for the 11:00 meet up and lunch if you folks don't mind. I think Pants is the only person I've met in real life, so he's the one I'll recognize. If I can manage to get some laundry done, I'll wear a bugbear shirt for easy identification. My name is Andy.

Cool?

slaphappy snark
Widdle Fudge Bunny

Post by slaphappy snark » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:58 pm

sleepy_worm wrote:Hello.

Pantsless invited me to see him this weekend while he was in town, so I will probably be around for the 11:00 meet up and lunch if you folks don't mind. I think Pants is the only person I've met in real life, so he's the one I'll recognize. If I can manage to get some laundry done, I'll wear a bugbear shirt for easy identification. My name is Andy.

Cool?
Yay! I like the part where you had to sign up for this forum to talk to us. :)
I'll try to wear my kolcon 8 shirt, but I will also be there at the same time as Pants, so you can continue to plan to just look for him.

williabr
Spy vs. Pie

Post by williabr » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:33 pm

I'll be arriving late with Stu, but don't share his Cardinal pride, so no need to leave early.

Rig's plan sounds great, can't wait for Saturday!

Kelemvor
AFH

Post by Kelemvor » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:38 pm

I imagine people are in transit and not reading this, but as feared work is super-crunchy today. I don't think I'll be able to get away for lunch. Dinner might be doable, depending on where and when. What's the plan for that?

And, if anyone sees this, pm me your number so that I can try and meet up with you later.

Pantsless
Fie the Pie

Post by Pantsless » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:11 am

Thanks again for the fun time, everyone! It was great meeting you all. Hopefully we'll be back to the area again sometime and can have some more time to hang out.

We still have unused tickets in our citypasses for the Museum of Modern Art and the Aquarium of the Bay. They expire at the end of the day this Saturday and I'd hate to see them go to waste, so if anyone thinks they'll be able to go to one or both of those places, please kmail your address to me and I'll mail them to you asap.