Pantsless Tour 2011 - New York, NY - weekend of Dec 3

Like the title says, anything and everything else goes here. As long as it follows the forum rules.

Moderator: Raccoon

Pantsless
Fie the Pie

Pantsless Tour 2011 - New York, NY - weekend of Dec 3

Post by Pantsless » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:09 am

I'll be in the area that weekend. Anyone want to hang out?

Still figuring out my schedule/lodging/etc, will update this with more specifics as they become, uh, specified.
[quote="Serra725"]What did you use for the structural part of the bear?[/quote]

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Re: Pantsless Tour 2011 - New York, NY - weekend of Dec 3

Post by thacon » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:32 am

I'm going out of town on the 4th, but will keep the rest of the weekend open. I think I'll just write "pantsless" on my calendar and let my wife wonder...

top1214
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by top1214 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:00 pm

Maybe she'll get the "wrong" idea, and you'll get lucky and won't end up leaving the house that weekend!

deusnoctum
Statistically likely to return

Post by deusnoctum » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:49 pm

Hmm. NYC is a bit of a hike for me, but if I am free I will try to get up there.

Pantsless
Fie the Pie

Post by Pantsless » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:28 am

Update!

I'll be flying in very late on November 30th, and flying back out the evening of December 5th. It'll be me, my wife, and her coworker. Her coworker has never been to New York before so she will probably want to do some of the standard touristy stuff, so here's a list of some things we might be doing:

seeing several Broadway (or off-Broadway) musicals
eating pizza (a top priority for me, mmm DiFara)
going to Ellis Island
paying the ridiculous price to go to the top of the Empire State Building
seeing the holiday decorations, ice skating in Rockefeller Center, etc
going to an art museum (I will go hang out with you guys while my wife and her coworker do this)

Do any of those sound like things you'd want to join us for? Or do you have other things to suggest / other places to go / etc? I am open to input. I think at a minimum we can go eat food and hang out somewhere, but I am open to specific suggestions of times/places/days.

Jersey_Tomato
Recruiter of AFH/k

Post by Jersey_Tomato » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:34 am

I'm flexible that whole weekend.

Ice skating in Rockefeller Center sounds really fun! I've never done that.

My favorite free touristy thing to do is to go to the main public library. If you're in the area, it's worth stopping in and looking around. I love the main reading room especially. Make sure to look up!

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:02 pm

Pantsless wrote:seeing several Broadway (or off-Broadway) musicals
eating pizza (a top priority for me, mmm DiFara)
going to Ellis Island
paying the ridiculous price to go to the top of the Empire State Building
seeing the holiday decorations, ice skating in Rockefeller Center, etc
going to an art museum (I will go hang out with you guys while my wife and her coworker do this)

Do any of those sound like things you'd want to join us for? Or do you have other things to suggest / other places to go / etc? I am open to input. I think at a minimum we can go eat food and hang out somewhere, but I am open to specific suggestions of times/places/days.
We already discussed the shows. My favorite pizza is at Patsy's, but I'm no pizza aficionado. If you're looking for ice skating, you may want to check out The Pond at Bryant Park or the W Hotel downtown. Rockefeller center is always packed. Also, no idea if they're up yet, but if you're looking for holiday decorations, Little Italy is always pretty around Christmas time. You can get some awesome food while you're there. Also, I can probably get you free tickets to MoMA if you're interested. I'm a corporate member.

Most of my New York suggestions revolve around eating and drinking, so if you're looking for bars and/or restaurants, I'm more helpful there. Coming to New York in the winter is tougher because some of the best times are had by just wandering around, but it gets stupidly cold.

I think highline park is pretty cool. You might want to check that out.

Um... I'll have to give it some thought. You're staying in Queens, right?

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Post by lotsofphil » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:22 pm

Empire State Building isn't that expensive, I don't think. And it won't be too crowded this time of year.
Tell your Mrs. to go to the Met over MoMA (disclaimer, haven't been to the new moma) or Guggenheim. I think the Met is way cooler.
Instead of a broadway show, think about seeing something in Lincoln Center. It's an amazing place.
I really like Amici 2 in Little Italy.

bleary
Pie in the Sky

Post by bleary » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:45 pm

Jersey_Tomato wrote: My favorite free touristy thing to do is to go to the main public library. If you're in the area, it's worth stopping in and looking around. I love the main reading room especially. Make sure to look up!
OMG! I went there on a trip to New York on the spur of the moment once. Remember that scene in Quicksilver, where Isaac Newton is sticking a knitting needle into his eye to see what happens to his vision when he changes the shape of his eyeball? Well, the ACTUAL JOURNAL that Newton was writing in at the time was there, open to the page he was using, complete with a DIAGRAM of his EYEBALL. Amazing. Also, a first edition of the Principia, with marginal annotations Newton made for the second edition. I guess it was a limited-time exhibition, but my mind was blown.

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:31 pm

My favorite NYC pizza is Grimaldi's, below the Brooklyn Bridge. Just be prepared to wait outside for 30-60 min.
"Have you ever heard the expression, ‘When life gives you lemons, make lemonade, and then throw it in the face of the person who gave you the lemons until they give you the oranges you originally asked for?’"

bennieloohoo
Dropped to Casual

Post by bennieloohoo » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:28 am

Hahaha! We have a Grimaldi's in my hometown here in TX!

Also, wish I could meet up with you guys in NYC!!!!

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:23 pm

Wow, you're right. I had no idea they were a chain. Grimaldi's is always talked about like the mecca of New York pizza. They apparently have so many locations that their website lists specific New York and New Jersey locations and then just says "throughout Arizona, Texas, Las Vegas, Nevada"

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:44 pm

The new restaurants are fairly recent development (past 10 years or so) after Grimaldi sold the restaurant. The one on Fulton under the Brooklyn Bridge is the original.
"Have you ever heard the expression, ‘When life gives you lemons, make lemonade, and then throw it in the face of the person who gave you the lemons until they give you the oranges you originally asked for?’"

snarkypants
Contest Master of Heck

Post by snarkypants » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:52 pm

Basically all my friends who live in NYC live in Brooklyn, so I don't have a great deal of Manhattan advice (my home office used to be in Soho, so I can recommend the Pegu Club if you want to have an absolutely ridiculously good, absolutely ridiculously priced cocktail*; the last time I was there, we also go to watch a coke deal going down!). But if you're willing to head out to Brooklyn, go to Spuyten Duyvil in Williamsburg -- fantastic beer selection.

* Don't go to Pegu Club on a weekend night, though. In a similar vein, people also recommend Death and Co., Milk and Honey, and Little Branch; of the lot, I've only been to Milk and Honey, and it is both as good and as overpriced as promised.

Lord Stefano
Warlord

Post by Lord Stefano » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:37 pm

You should come into Brooklyn, ill dress as an Afghani woman so youll recognize the eyes from my profile/sig w/o being distracted by the sexiness of my face as a whole :wink:

If you like Thai, theres a great place on 47th or 48th (near the bulk of the theaters). Ive recommended it to other NYC-bound KoLers and they sing praise to this Lord b/c of it. Let me know if you want details.
[img]http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p164/LordStefano/Eyes.jpg[/img]

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:30 am

Lord Stefano wrote:If you like Thai, theres a great place on 47th or 48th (near the bulk of the theaters). Ive recommended it to other NYC-bound KoLers and they sing praise to this Lord b/c of it. Let me know if you want details.
There's a bunch of good thai right around there. My favorite is Pam Real Thai Food on 49th and 9th. (Not to be confused with the less good Pam Real Thai Food on 47th and 9th)

And it looks like everyone votes for hanging out in Brooklyn for my couch-waiting party :)

Lord Stefano
Warlord

Post by Lord Stefano » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:10 pm

I prefer Pong Sri for Thai, but I never tried your place. They have 3 locations and Ive tried all 3, but the one by the theaters is the best of them.

I didnt know you were in Brooklyn too. Stalking me, eh? :wink:

Jersey_Tomato
Recruiter of AFH/k

Post by Jersey_Tomato » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:54 pm

Are you guys seriously trying to make Pants schlep all the way out to Brooklyn? :P
thacon wrote:If you're looking for ice skating, you may want to check out The Pond at Bryant Park or the W Hotel downtown.
Ooh. Bryant Park is so pretty at this time of year! And of course it shares a block with the library. Hey, it's a win-win.

Korean is another option food-wise. I'm not sure if you can get that in Michigan. It's really fun.

Pantsless
Fie the Pie

Post by Pantsless » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:52 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! My plans are still pretty fluid at the moment, but here's what I can tell you:

We're staying at the Pan American Hotel, in Queens. We fly in late Wednesday and leave Monday evening.

I want to go to DiFara and Grimaldi's (is it important that I visit the original or is the pizza the same everywhere?) and maybe John's and probably 10,000 other pizza places.

We'll probably try to go to La Lanterna di Vittorio, in the Village (we've gone there a few times before and like it a lot.)

I am a total wimp when it comes to spicy food so Thai will probably not be on my radar.

My wife and her coworker definitely want to go to MoMA. I don't care much for art, so I'd be happy to go off and see you guys while she's doing that, or, if you all are interested in MoMA, we can do that together and I'll feign interest. :) (Thacon, tell me more about these free tickets! Send me a kmail or text.)

We'll probably be seeing a Broadway (or off-Broadway) musical just about every day Thursday through Sunday.

We'll be trying to go to Eliis Island at some point.

Highline Park is definitely a neat sounding thing that I think we'll want to see.

My wife has a long list of things she wants to do and I should probably find out what those things are at some point.

I am totally up for you guys joining us for any of these things, or whatever other things we wind up doing.

The following people and I have each others phone numbers:
Thacon
Deusnoctum
Jersey Tomato

Is anyone else interested? Kmail me your phone number so we can stay coordinated. I will try to continue to update this thread also.

Lord Stefano
Warlord

Post by Lord Stefano » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:53 am

Pantsless wrote:I am a total wimp when it comes to spicy food so Thai will probably not be on my radar.
Chicken Pad See Ewe (many diff spellings depending on the restaurant) is not spicy at all and the forking best Thai dish out there. Just fyi ;P

slaphappy snark
Widdle Fudge Bunny

Post by slaphappy snark » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:10 am

Pantsless wrote:I want to go to DiFara and Grimaldi's (is it important that I visit the original or is the pizza the same everywhere?) and maybe John's and probably 10,000 other pizza places.
I happened to see earlier this week that there is some stuff going on with Grimaldi's that you might want to look into further before visiting. (This one explains the history a little more.)
Have a fun trip!

Jersey_Tomato
Recruiter of AFH/k

Post by Jersey_Tomato » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:36 pm

Somebody needs to suggest an actual plan, so I'll do it. :P

Since Pants and co. are going to be seeing some shows, I assume the daytime is better. If we went to La Lanterna for lunch, we could then go over to Highline Park and check it out. That covers 2 things on Pants' list, and it's even stuff I've never done myself.

Either saturday or sunday would work for me. I texted Pants, but haven't heard back yet. Thoughts?

Lord Stefano
Warlord

Post by Lord Stefano » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:59 pm

If they dont mind walking, doesnt Highline end in the 30s? Broadway shows at night in the mid-40 Streets. Save a train fare if you guys arent too tired walking the park length ;P

Jersey_Tomato
Recruiter of AFH/k

Post by Jersey_Tomato » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:40 pm

We have a plan!

Sunday. Lunch at 11. Location TBA. Then off to the MoMA.

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:41 pm

Here's my suggestion for brunch/lunch (The 51st and 2nd location)