Speed (running & exercise)

Like the title says, anything and everything else goes here. As long as it follows the forum rules.

Moderator: Raccoon

zombiepops
My Pie Blown Sky High

Re: Speed (running & exercise)

Post by zombiepops » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:12 am

wow, congrats nardo!
I'm brainy for Zombiepops!

Raccoon
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by Raccoon » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:37 pm

NardoLoopa wrote:1st Runnerversary tomorrow:
Ran 2,222miles in my first year
Went from couldn't run 3miles to a high of 77mpw.
Decommissioned 4 pair of running shoes (350-619miles on them).
Dropped 13% of my body weight (26lbs), from 24.4 BMI to 21.1 BMI.

Feeling awesome.

Thanks for the nudge, Rac.
Excellent, and you're welcome!

Not quite as dramatic numbers for me, but I'm at 995 miles for 2012, with a week-high of 36 miles. About to retire my third pair of running shoes since Jan. 2011. Lost 15% of weight (26 pounds), taking my BMI from 24ish down to 20.5.
[img]http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u218/mad_hamish/raccoonsig.jpg[/img]

big_mara
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by big_mara » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:39 pm

Way to go, nardo. That's some serious inspiration/motivation.

In other news I will be running my first marathon this Saturday. Shooting for somewhere between 3:15 and 3:30. I plan on running the first half in the 7:20s and then evaluating my fatigue level for the second half. At 4 days out I'm getting over a bug of some sort that's had me out of commission since last Friday. I've been taking it easy, which I can tell is starting to help. I'm hoping my body and weather permit a good race.

TeKRunneR
Spy vs. Pie

Post by TeKRunneR » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:29 am

So, I gave up on my October marathon, because 1) in the summer training in the boring, overheated plains is way too difficult when you know you could be in the sunny mountains instead, and 2) with the little training that I managed to do I ran a 15k in 1:06, which is way off the pace I was aiming for. Instead I'm going to run a 40km trail around that mountain: http://www.photos-dauphine.com/wp-conte ... le-n75.jpg

A couple months ago I bought my first pair of shoes in about 3 years. I have no idea how kilometers the old one had, but it was probably somewhere over 2,000 (I didn't run much at all for about half of these 3 years). And I used that pair to run both on the flat and in the mountains. I think I'm the bane of shoemakers. On the other hand, the new trail shoes feel like cheating when running downhill. Their stability and grip is just amazing.

Regarding injuries: if you're experiencing a pain that is either crippling, or doesn't seem to go away after a few weeks, go see a sports doctor. I mean, I don't know how it is in the US, but here I've had even ER doctors fail to tell me what to do to make a twisted ankle heal properly. As a result I had a weak ankle for several months, before I twisted it again. No such problems with my sports doctor, he's always diagnosed stuff properly, and suggested swift and effective treatment. In my opinion asking the Internet for help is only a good idea once your problem has been diagnosed, and you feel like your treatment isn't working. Otherwise people on forums just don't have the information required to help you properly.

big_mara
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by big_mara » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:33 pm

I ended up running a sub-3:09:00 marathon...and winning the whole thing! Granted there were only 50 people. The whole experience went pretty much as smoothly as it could have gone, apart from how I've felt over the past few days. My soreness level went from can't move to some light core and strength exercises today. So that's hopeful. Any advice on how long I should wait to start running? I want to do some light jogging in the beautiful weather we're having while it lasts.

Race report for the curious: http://spendincheese.blogspot.com/2012/ ... athon.html

Next on the agenda is a 78-mile relay in mid-October and a 50k in late October. Running bug? Me thinks so.

Raccoon
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by Raccoon » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:18 am

big_mara wrote:I ended up running a sub-3:09:00 marathon...and winning the whole thing! Granted there were only 50 people. The whole experience went pretty much as smoothly as it could have gone, apart from how I've felt over the past few days. My soreness level went from can't move to some light core and strength exercises today. So that's hopeful. Any advice on how long I should wait to start running? I want to do some light jogging in the beautiful weather we're having while it lasts.

Race report for the curious: http://spendincheese.blogspot.com/2012/ ... athon.html

Next on the agenda is a 78-mile relay in mid-October and a 50k in late October. Running bug? Me thinks so.
That's awesome, Big Mara! Congratulations!

In the meantime, you could work on pull-ups. :lol: (I managed 32 total the other day -- 10, then 5, then 10, then 7)

NardoLoopa
Market Manipulator

Post by NardoLoopa » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:55 am

That's a really amazing first-effort. Wow.

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Post by lotsofphil » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:42 am

How much of that was on a trail, mara? Your post makes it sound like a fair amount was. That's quite impressive.

big_mara
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by big_mara » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:24 pm

Thanks, all. It was Probably about 90 percent of it was on a trail, but that's kind of misleading. It's a limestone path that's pretty flat. The trail is a converted railroad track.

Rac, I bought a pull-up bar. Game on :)

Raccoon
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by Raccoon » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:06 pm

big_mara wrote:Rac, I bought a pull-up bar. Game on :)
Uh oh. I wonder if there's an age grading calculator for pull ups like there is for running. I am, you know, a geriatric Gen Xer.

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:01 pm

I know nothing about it, but runtastic PRO is part of the Google Play 25 cent sale if you're interested.

NardoLoopa
Market Manipulator

Post by NardoLoopa » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:43 am

I haven't been sleeping well, weighing the logistical problems and moral dilemma. If it were any lesser race I would have already bagged my entry just because I'm not really in a good mental space to run. Even if I decided that the marathon was morally neutral (or even a positive force) in the aftermath of Sandy, I'm not sure I could keep up the mental fortitude necessary for a marathon if I saw protest / sad / angry signs on the route. With a sound mind I could reason away the ratio of 1 bad sign to 40 good signs, but in my degraded metal state it would chip away at me. You get a lot of time to be in your own head in a marathon -- that's not exactly the best time to mull over your relationship to misfortune and tragedy.

My first impression of Sandy and NYC was that by Saturday everything would be back together -- NYC shows an amazing resilience to catastrophe. But that just ain't so.

I'll be running Philly, which I already had a bib for. I need to talk to my coach about what I should do to untaper. Looking for a hotel room now.

Raccoon
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by Raccoon » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:44 pm

NardoLoopa wrote:I haven't been sleeping well, weighing the logistical problems and moral dilemma. If it were any lesser race I would have already bagged my entry just because I'm not really in a good mental space to run. Even if I decided that the marathon was morally neutral (or even a positive force) in the aftermath of Sandy, I'm not sure I could keep up the mental fortitude necessary for a marathon if I saw protest / sad / angry signs on the route. With a sound mind I could reason away the ratio of 1 bad sign to 40 good signs, but in my degraded metal state it would chip away at me. You get a lot of time to be in your own head in a marathon -- that's not exactly the best time to mull over your relationship to misfortune and tragedy.

My first impression of Sandy and NYC was that by Saturday everything would be back together -- NYC shows an amazing resilience to catastrophe. But that just ain't so.

I'll be running Philly, which I already had a bib for. I need to talk to my coach about what I should do to untaper. Looking for a hotel room now.
Totally understandable, Nardo. I don't think it's an easy call either way whether to hold the marathon or cancel it, although I think if I were in a position to make the decision, I'd probably put it off or cancel it.

It's going forward, but who knows what kind of experience it's going to be for you? It could be a total screw-up . . . . I completely respect your personal decision. Good luck with Philly.

big_mara
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by big_mara » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:54 pm

That's a tough call, for you and the race officials. It seems like a wise move on their part to cancel the race, though waiting until this point for something that now seems inevitable is most unfortunate. Good luck in Philly. I hope this doesn't affect your goals.

NardoLoopa
Market Manipulator

Post by NardoLoopa » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:14 pm

Bloomberg cancelled it today, a few hours after my post. Maybe I'll get my money back . . . doubt it.

I won't be in optimal shape for Philly, having peaked two weeks early. But hey, at least it's flat.

I wonder if Deus is running Philly too?

Guiseppi
Pie in the Sky

Post by Guiseppi » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:55 am

OK, so it's not exactly running, but....

Here's what I did this weekend:

10k, 22 obstacles, 100% awesome.
Attachments
Jorge Over 2.jpg
Jorge Over 2.jpg (91.17 KiB) Viewed 21418 times

NardoLoopa
Market Manipulator

Post by NardoLoopa » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:37 pm

Hoorah!

NardoLoopa
Market Manipulator

Post by NardoLoopa » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:40 am

Philly: 3:08:45 BQ (-6:14), PR (-23:26)

RAWR!

Now I'm having trouble walking around. Ouch ouch ouch ouch.

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:49 am

Congrats, Nardo!

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Post by lotsofphil » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:47 am

NardoLoopa wrote:Philly: 3:08:45 BQ (-6:14), PR (-23:26)

RAWR!

Now I'm having trouble walking around. Ouch ouch ouch ouch.
BQ, hooray! I guess it is still 3:10?

NardoLoopa
Market Manipulator

Post by NardoLoopa » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:22 pm

lotsofphil wrote:BQ, hooray! I guess it is still 3:10?
3:15 was the BQ target because in May I turn 40. I found this out the night before the race -- still thinking it was 3:10. Almost wish nobody told me.

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Post by lotsofphil » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:20 am

Haha, I can see that really sapping the legs in the late race. "Shit, I've got 5 minutes in hand, I *could* slow up a little... Just a little... For like a half mile..."

Maybe you're not as lazy as me :)

Raccoon
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by Raccoon » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:43 pm

Awesome run, Nardo!

deusnoctum
Statistically likely to return

Post by deusnoctum » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:16 pm

NardoLoopa wrote:I wonder if Deus is running Philly too?
Why yes, yes I am!

I ended up not running Philly, as I fell off the training wagon again last year. After I got back from Paris I started up again and have been much more consistent, and signed up for my first race (only a 5K, but still something) next month and the Broad Street Run in May. Planning to do the Phila marathon this year too, in case anyone else is up for it.

Awesome runs, Nardo and mara!

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Post by lotsofphil » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:47 pm

deusnoctum wrote:
NardoLoopa wrote:I wonder if Deus is running Philly too?
Why yes, yes I am!

I ended up not running Philly, as I fell off the training wagon again last year. After I got back from Paris I started up again and have been much more consistent, and signed up for my first race (only a 5K, but still something) next month and the Broad Street Run in May. Planning to do the Phila marathon this year too, in case anyone else is up for it.

Awesome runs, Nardo and mara!
Is Broad Street the half? That always looked like a cool race.

NardoLoopa
Market Manipulator

Post by NardoLoopa » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:42 am

deusnoctum wrote:Planning to do the Phila marathon this year too, in case anyone else is up for it.
I've only done two, but Philly is clearly my favorite marathon. You'll really enjoy it.

I was going to run the Toronto marathon this Spring, but I've been feeling really beat up most of my training so far. Cardio is mostly there, but my legs just wither under the pounding of the road. Anything above 13miles and I'm struggling terribly. Everyone in the sub3 group is in a similar position. I think we all just went hard for our late Nov marathons, and 1 month isn't enough recovery.

Just yesterday, I finally ran a 20miler (about a minute slower pace than I would in the Fall) and felt the way I should feel with 15weeks to go in training . . . except there are only 10 until Toronto. So, I think I'm going to check out this season and just run some smaller races. Going to save up for a sub-3 assault at the NYCM.

And if Sandy2 shows up again this year, I'll see you in Philly, Deus.

big_mara
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by big_mara » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:31 am

I feel pretty much the same way, Nardo. Except my speed is oddly still there. Anything over ten miles is just killing me. I've been really working on leg strengthening and form improvement as of late. I'm hoping it helps long-term.

deusnoctum

Post by deusnoctum » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:26 pm

lotsofphil wrote:Is Broad Street the half? That always looked like a cool race.
It's a "downhill" ten-miler--you drop about 145 feet on a total of 700 feet in elevation change (sounds pretty flat to me, but I'm no expert). I was one of the lucky 85% to get a spot, so I'm definitely in for it.

I knew to expect needing a lot of recovery time after a marathon, but I had no idea it was on the order of months. Maybe a half would be a better idea in November, and a full marathon next year? That'd give me almost two years to build up to it, rather than trying to take it on after nine or ten months.

On the other hand, I've dropped five minutes from my 5K in the past month (30:00 to 24:30). If I continue at this rate, I should be able to run a marathon this fall in about 45 minutes.

Out of curiosity, has anyone here done a triathlon? I greatly enjoy cycling and was thinking of giving one a try at some point.

big_mara
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by big_mara » Mon May 06, 2013 6:58 am

Ran my second marathon yesterday in 2:55:xx. My goal was sub-3. It went extremely well. Since this thread was one of the catalysts to my running career I feel like I'll be necroing it a fair amount in the future :)

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Post by lotsofphil » Mon May 06, 2013 9:32 am

Wow, mara. Sub-3 is a very shiny number. Congratulations.

NardoLoopa
Market Manipulator

Post by NardoLoopa » Mon May 06, 2013 3:35 pm

Damn it, big_mara is raising the bar. Well, NYC is my next. Training for 2:59:59. Then Boston after that.

Congrats on the big PR!

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Post by lotsofphil » Mon May 06, 2013 3:57 pm

NardoLoopa wrote:Well, NYC is my next. Training for 2:59:59. Then Boston after that.
Two slow-ish courses. Was yours fast/flat, mara?

big_mara
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by big_mara » Mon May 06, 2013 8:10 pm

Thanks :) There were some slight hills, but nothing noteworthy. Using this site it appears the Lincoln Marathon is slightly harder than Boston or New York: http://www.findmymarathon.com/. We had unseasonably cold weather, which made for great times. I was shooting for sub-3:00 and never struggled to hit that goal. I started knocking off 6'40" miles and kept every mile under 7 minutes, even during a stretch in mile 23 where my hamstring was tightening up pretty severely. I didn't have a great training cycle. I managed to get sick for the first time in years. I also struggled to run marathon-pace long runs as my plan required.

However, when race day came around everything clicked. The 26th mile was my fastest and I ran into Memorial Stadium where the race finishes at an all-out sprint, having passed a number of runners in the last five miles and falling to none. It was a great experience. I'm surprised that, apart from a little soreness, I feel fantastic right now. Next official race on my schedule is the JFK 50-Mile in November.

That's a great goal, Nardo. Any soonish races, or just getting over looming injuries?

NardoLoopa
Market Manipulator

Post by NardoLoopa » Mon May 06, 2013 8:45 pm

big_mara wrote:That's a great goal, Nardo. Any soonish races, or just getting over looming injuries?
I ran through one injury, which caused another injury. Note to self: don't do that.
Went to see a sports doc and a PT. Got some meds (anti-inflam) and a few exercises. My favorite was the Doc's advice: if you're in pain, that's fine; you can keep running. But if it alters your stride stop immediately.

I love sports medicine. The goal is not to get rid of all pain. I'm not big on pain meds.

Hopefully I should be able to start up for real in June. Feel like a slug. Gained 10lbs.

big_mara
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by big_mara » Wed May 08, 2013 8:21 pm

I'm glad to hear things are getting back to normal. I had the hardest time coming back from an IT Band issues last fall. Sticking with a PT regimen for a few months made it better. I bet your BMI is still lower than mine even with those extra 10 pounds :P

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Post by lotsofphil » Thu May 23, 2013 10:50 am

Just thought I would link to this: http://www.sportsscientists.com/2013/05 ... d-and.html

The article, about minimalist shoes, might be of interest to some of you. But you should definitely bookmark the site. Science of Sport is a pretty awesome blog.

Raccoon
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by Raccoon » Thu May 30, 2013 12:24 am

lotsofphil wrote:Science of Sport is a pretty awesome blog.
Definitely agree!

Raccoon
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by Raccoon » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:41 pm

So I'm skinnier than Nardo and Big Mara (I think), but I'm also slower than they are. Go figure. However, I did finally break through that stupid 21-minute barrier for a 5K . . . ran a 20:40 this past weekend.

NardoLoopa
Market Manipulator

Post by NardoLoopa » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:04 am

w00t! Congrats, Rac.

I'm here in London for two weeks. They have this "ParkRun" organization. They put on free 5Ks every weekend in the same 60 locations around London (more in the country). So, we decided to jog 3miles to the race. Only we got lost. Then hooked up with another runner going there. But after 4miles total and a quarter mile from the race head he tells us he isn't actually running the event . . . and here we were keeping up with his brisk pace while charging up hills and all. There went out race.

The race itself was rolling hills of mud. Lots of fun, but not a PR course. ;) The deal is you print out a bar-code before you show up. Then at the finish line they give you a ticket with a barcode. Later they scan the both and upload to your account at ParkRun.co.uk. That's it. Free and timed 5K.

About 100 people ran it. This was the 26th run in 3 months at this location. Pretty awesome idea. It's been slow migrating to the USA -- only 3 in the country at this point. But it sure would be nice to solve the demographic problem created by charging $25 for a 5K.

big_mara
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by big_mara » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:56 pm

Awesome job, Raccoon. I haven't lost any weight since I started running, Rac. My BMI is like 23 and change. I'm not sure what's wrong with me :/

That's an awesome concept, Nardo. Even though I'm good for the money, if it's not for a good cause I'm always a little bothered by paying out $25+ for a 20-minute run, especially given the proliferation of for-profit events that aren't even promoted by local groups (mud run, anyone?).

Raccoon
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by Raccoon » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:22 am

big_mara wrote:Awesome job, Raccoon. I haven't lost any weight since I started running, Rac. My BMI is like 23 and change. I'm not sure what's wrong with me :/
Well, 23 is still "normal," which is to say, below average by American standards, no? We just got a Wii with the fitness board. It claims that my BMI is 20.1 but I think the carpet throws the board off a bit; my BMI is more like 20.5. However, the Wii told me that 22 is an ideal BMI. Since that would pack on 10 lbs from where I am, and every pound supposedly makes you 2 seconds/mile slower, I'm going to be ignoring Mr. Wii's suggestion.
Even though I'm good for the money, if it's not for a good cause I'm always a little bothered by paying out $25+ for a 20-minute run, especially given the proliferation of for-profit events that aren't even promoted by local groups (mud run, anyone?).
I've run five races (four 5Ks, one 10K) this year and paid for only two of them. I got hooked into this great gig with the running-related blog at the major newspaper for our metro area. We get a good number of race comps in exchange for writing race previews and recaps/results. You should see if there's something like that where you are.

big_mara
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by big_mara » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:34 am

Another marathon, another necro. I just finished my third marathon yesterday. My "C" goal was 2:50, "B" was 2:48, and "A" was 2:45. I hit it in 2:45:35. I am pleased with the effort. This was the same race I ran last year as my first marathon, just 23 minutes faster. As for the race itself...

I ran the entire thing from start to finish by myself, which was pretty rough. Last year there was a lead biker. Keeping it going at what was a very aggressive pace was definitely a challenge. I felt pretty uncomfortable the whole race. I ran strong through mile 20, then the wheels started coming off. My left hamstring was achy from mile 20 through mile 23. At that point, it was obvious it was going to start screaming soon. Once I hit a good uphill coming into the city I had to shuffle up the thing, trying to keep the pace as manageable as possible. After the uphill sections were over, I managed to pull it together and put in a solid final mile.

Splits:
6:04, 6:19, 6:38 (hit the interval button late after an aid station), 5:41 (see: previous mile), 6:19, 6:24, 6:33, 6:26, 6:16, 6:13, 6:16, 6:32, 6:15, 6:00 (started running into half marathoners), 6:13, 6:15, 6:08, 6:15, 6:23, 6:37, 6:33, 6:03, 6:16, 6:34, 7:17 (see: hamstring), 6:07, 0:58.

BC_Goldman
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by BC_Goldman » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:48 pm

Wow, I've got a long way to go. I'm currently doing a Couch to 5K program. Just finished week 7 I'm up to running 25 min solid. Best day this week was an average of 8:57/mi. The program is three days a week so I'm running M/W/F and then doing a 1.5 mile run on Saturdays. Best time I've managed so far for the 1.5 mile run was 7:37/mi.

Week 8 is 28 minute runs and 30 min on week 9 (final week). I'm pretty confident I can hit the 5k mark in under 30. 28 is possible but pretty hard right now. I run alone so it's just me and the sidewalk. I should probably load a work-out mix onto my media player.

EDIT: Looked back through the thread and see that the one time I did a 5k before it was 28:02 so that gives me a frame of reference. Also, a note of shame as that was the last time I ran. I don't remember why I stopped. I ran once between then and now and got so sore that after I spent time in a seated position, I had to walk 20 feet before I wouldn't limber up enough that it wasn't like wading through knee-deep water.

NardoLoopa
Market Manipulator

Post by NardoLoopa » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:50 am

big_mara wrote:I hit it in 2:45:35.
Splits:
6:04, 6:19, 6:38 (hit the interval button late after an aid station), 5:41 (see: previous mile), 6:19, 6:24, 6:33, 6:26, 6:16, 6:13, 6:16, 6:32, 6:15, 6:00 (started running into half marathoners), 6:13, 6:15, 6:08, 6:15, 6:23, 6:37, 6:33, 6:03, 6:16, 6:34, 7:17 (see: hamstring), 6:07, 0:58.
Holy crap. Frigg'n awesome job. Those split times are dizzying. 2:45?! wow. Just wow.

As for me: I got into Boston. NYC Marathon coming up -- training was a little behind because of a achilles issue in the Spring. I wanted to start my training at 65mpw, but instead I started at 12. A 4-miler was tough for a while. Basically, I almost had to start from scratch (and drop 8lbs).

However, this weekend I ran my first 5K in 9months. 18:03 -- a one minute 5 second PR. And while proud of my 5:49 pace, looking at the above splits, I'm stunned at the idea of keeping similar for 26 miles.

Damn!

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Post by lotsofphil » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:26 am

That's incredible Mara. I am definitely going for a run tonight now! :)

Hope you can recover quickly and fully. I don't want the next update to be "my hammy never really was right after that 2:45..."

BC_Goldman
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by BC_Goldman » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:01 pm

NardoLoopa wrote:However, this weekend I ran my first 5K in 9months. 18:03 -- a one minute 5 second PR. And while proud of my 5:49 pace, looking at the above splits, I'm stunned at the idea of keeping similar for 26 miles.
I was just coming here to report that I passed the 5k mark on my 28 minute run today. I wasn't expecting that and even less so the time being 26:20. Then I see 18:03 and feel very slow. :D

NardoLoopa
Market Manipulator

Post by NardoLoopa » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:22 pm

BC_Goldman wrote:I was just coming here to report that I passed the 5k mark on my 28 minute run today. I wasn't expecting that and even less so the time being 26:20. Then I see 18:03 and feel very slow. :D
lol. Keep this in mind: June 4th 2011 I raced a 5K in 26:07 before Racc kicked all this off.

Just make sure to read this thread from the start . . . it looks a lot easier than if you read just the end.

big_mara
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by big_mara » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:42 pm

NardoLoopa wrote:
BC_Goldman wrote:I was just coming here to report that I passed the 5k mark on my 28 minute run today. I wasn't expecting that and even less so the time being 26:20. Then I see 18:03 and feel very slow. :D
lol. Keep this in mind: June 4th 2011 I raced a 5K in 26:07 before Racc kicked all this off.

Just make sure to read this thread from the start . . . it looks a lot easier than if you read just the end.
Seriously. It seems strange looking back, but this is exactly where it all started. Thanks to Nardo and Racc for the positive modeling. Any lurker out there should start running if you have any interest whatsoever. You might get hooked.

BCG, that's a great achievement. You're an awesome time in your running where you have the potential for everything to be a first. Enjoy it while it lasts. You'll soon be hard pressed to find gains like that :)

Nardo, that's a great time. And congrats on getting in to Boston! I seem to be better on the endurance end of the spectrum. I'm not confident I could break 17:30 right now on 8 months of solid training with only two brief injury intermissions. On that note, my hamstring seems to always poop out on me after about 20 fast miles. I jogged a bit yesterday and it seemed fine. I'm going to spend the next 3 months doing loosely structured 5k/10k training in the hopes to build up my speed chops. After that, it's spring marathon time. I'll be doing the Lincoln Marathon again. Two marathon cycles a year seems like a good formula for me. I could see doing a January marathon, but I think it's healthier for me to just take a break. I've had durability issues as it is.

In other news, after searching for almost a year I finally found some sort of a semi-competitive running group around which I can structure my training. This past cycle was all done on my own. I'm hoping this new group will give me some advice and direction.

BC_Goldman
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by BC_Goldman » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:53 pm

I think I read through the thread a while back. I've got a couple posts on page 2. I wore the Vibrams twice a couple weeks ago and I seemed to be having an issue with soreness in my left leg so I switched back to sneakers. I should try wearing them again and see if the problem reoccurs. Yeah, all the improvements have been great. It feels pretty good to have gotten this far in less than 8 weeks.

Suendenbock
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Suendenbock » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:44 pm

I started running as well working out again at the beginning of the year I was sitting at 230 pounds after gaining a lot of weight through out college. Now I am running 4-6 miles three times a week and I am down to 208 pounds. It is a slow process, but between running, biking, and lifting weights I got there. And I don't plan on stopping. I want to slowly work myself up to running some "real" long distances. =)

NardoLoopa
Market Manipulator

Post by NardoLoopa » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:18 am

Nice. Suenden. That's quite a drop.

BCG, I can't recommend the vibram route. None of the serious runners wear them around here. A few wear zero-drop, but not vibrams. If you do a lot of road work the lack of cushioning is going to lead to injuries.

big_mara: It's pretty amazing you've come this far w/o a training group. I think you'll be giving them advice soon. I ran with the Calumet Striders (Indiana) this weekend. They had some odd notions . . . especially about the 20mi course being "hilly". Darn flatlanders.

Oh, and 2 marathons a year seems about right. I know my body couldn't do more right now . . . unless I didn't race both.

NYCM is my next stop. Then Tobacco Road (early Spring). The Boston (Spring). I need to decide which is going to be a training run. If the weather is good, I'll race TR . . . it's flat. ;)

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Post by lotsofphil » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:47 am

NardoLoopa wrote: NYCM is my next stop. Then Tobacco Road (early Spring). The Boston (Spring). I need to decide which is going to be a training run. If the weather is good, I'll race TR . . . it's flat. ;)
Nothing else to compare it to, but NYC Marathon is an amazing experience.

And, bc_g, there is always someone faster than you :)

Raccoon
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by Raccoon » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:03 am

Interesting and gratifying to see what I started with my initial weight loss post (from which the running thread was split off). I wish I could join a running club -- there are plenty around where I live, but none of the meetings are times I can make, which is kind of weird since my schedule is otherwise so flexible.

I'm lagging behind Nardo and Mara on the PR front, but I did manage a 20:40 5K earlier in the summer. I've got my first half coming up in a week and a half . . . haven't trained for it specifically, since I'm still focused on 5Ks and 10Ks, but I will ease off next week. I'm hoping for sub-1:40:00 but would be satisfied with sub-1:45:00.

On the plus side, I can do 10+ unassisted pull ups! Oh, and I'm too old to join the FBI, but it's nice to know that I'd pass the physical fitness entrance exam quite easily. (Need 12 points; I'd get 19.)

NardoLoopa
Market Manipulator

Post by NardoLoopa » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:54 pm

Raccoon wrote:I'm lagging behind Nardo and Mara on the PR front, but I did manage a 20:40 5K earlier in the summer. I've got my first half coming up in a week and a half . . . haven't trained for it specifically, since I'm still focused on 5Ks and 10Ks, but I will ease off next week. I'm hoping for sub-1:40:00 but would be satisfied with sub-1:45:00.
Congrats, Racc. Too bad about the FBI. They don't know what their missing.

Suendenbock
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Suendenbock » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:07 am

NardoLoopa wrote: *they are missing.
:mrgreen: couldn't help myself

Raccoon
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by Raccoon » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:59 am

NardoLoopa wrote:Congrats, Racc. Too bad about the FBI. They don't know what their missing.
Well, a long time ago -- my first year out of law school, when I was working as a law clerk for a federal judge -- an FBI Special Agent did try to recruit me.... :oops:

And come to think of it, in my first year of law school, a JAG lawyer tried to talk me into applying to JAG . . . :shock:

I guess I come across as part of the Establishment? :roll:

NardoLoopa
Market Manipulator

Post by NardoLoopa » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:06 am

Suendenbock wrote:
gah, embarassing.

Mutantopia
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by Mutantopia » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:19 pm

NardoLoopa wrote:
Suendenbock wrote:
gah, embarassing.
*embarrassing

:D

Suendenbock
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Suendenbock » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:26 pm

Poor Nardo :roll:

Raccoon
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by Raccoon » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:41 pm

I ran my first half marathon this morning and finished in 1:39:40, #22 out of 398, and #2 out of 41 in my age group (and just 1 second behind #1 -- with chip timing, though, you never know until afterward). I had to get up at 5 am to drive out to the parking area and catch the shuttle to the start location. It was a very favorable course, with the first 7 miles having about an 1100 feet decline and the rest flat; but the conditions were somewhat unfavorable, with wind and steady rain.

Plus around the 12.4 mile mark, I was following a guy, and he missed a turn (in his and my defense, it wasn't marked), and we ended up running an extra 0.2 miles or so.

NardoLoopa
Market Manipulator

Post by NardoLoopa » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:50 pm

Very nice, Racc. The Half is an interesting race. Can't go all out like a 5K, not as "relaxed" as a marathon. Great time.

Raccoon
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by Raccoon » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:03 pm

NardoLoopa wrote:Very nice, Racc. The Half is an interesting race. Can't go all out like a 5K, not as "relaxed" as a marathon. Great time.
Yeah, I'm not sure I like the half distance. The 10K is probably my preferred distance, although I'm "better" at the 5K, at least, according to the McMillan running calculator.

big_mara
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by big_mara » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:46 pm

That's awesome, racc. Do you think you'll do another? As for 5k/10k versus longer distances, we all have our strengths. I struggle with most speed work but love tough tempo runs. As a side note, if you like the calculator, I'd highly recommend checking out McMillan's recent book. It's basically like a set of running plans that optimize the calculator. I used it for my last training cycle and had a good experience.

Raccoon
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by Raccoon » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:26 pm

big_mara wrote:That's awesome, racc. Do you think you'll do another? As for 5k/10k versus longer distances, we all have our strengths. I struggle with most speed work but love tough tempo runs. As a side note, if you like the calculator, I'd highly recommend checking out McMillan's recent book. It's basically like a set of running plans that optimize the calculator. I used it for my last training cycle and had a good experience.
Thanks for the recommendation -- I'll go take a look. I do read his columns in Running Times.

Yeah, I'll probably end up running more half-marathons . . . . If I can ever find the time/freedom to go run one of those Disneyland or Disney World half-marathons, I'd definitely do it.

Raccoon
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by Raccoon » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:20 pm

I ran in one of those zombies vs. survivor runs this weekend, and for the first time, I registered as a zombie. Survivors get a flag football belt with 2 velcro ripaway flags representing health, and a 2 minute headstart. Last year, I survived with one flag (five zombies ran faster than I did, but only one by more than 2 minutes).

You know what? It's so much MORE FUN being a zombie!!! I loved the terrified yelps and screams as I approached my tasty prey, growling RAWRRR to alert them to my presence. A few tried to run faster, to which I told them that resistance was futile and that they should give in to the inevitable.

I wasn't the fastest zombie, not by far, but I snagged more flags than the fastest one did. My overall time was 26:52 (for a 3.4 mile course), which is about 80 seconds/mile slower than my best, but hey, it was a clogged trail course and there were so many tasty brains to devour on the way. But the most important number was 49, which is how many flags I captured. BRAAAAIIINNSSSSSS.

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Post by lotsofphil » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:23 am

Raccoon wrote:I ran in one of those zombies vs. survivor runs this weekend, and for the first time, I registered as a zombie. Survivors get a flag football belt with 2 velcro ripaway flags representing health, and a 2 minute headstart. Last year, I survived with one flag (five zombies ran faster than I did, but only one by more than 2 minutes).

You know what? It's so much MORE FUN being a zombie!!! I loved the terrified yelps and screams as I approached my tasty prey, growling RAWRRR to alert them to my presence. A few tried to run faster, to which I told them that resistance was futile and that they should give in to the inevitable.

I wasn't the fastest zombie, not by far, but I snagged more flags than the fastest one did. My overall time was 26:52 (for a 3.4 mile course), which is about 80 seconds/mile slower than my best, but hey, it was a clogged trail course and there were so many tasty brains to devour on the way. But the most important number was 49, which is how many flags I captured. BRAAAAIIINNSSSSSS.
Hehe. I'd wondered how those things work. I would have expected something less merit-based and more everyone-gets-a-medal like. If the two fastest runners are zombies everyone dies? :)

Way to gorge yourself.

deusnoctum

Post by deusnoctum » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:11 am

lotsofphil wrote: If the two fastest runners are zombies everyone dies? :)

Way to gorge yourself.
Only if it's also an econ 201 class and you can assume zero transactional costs.

It's a lot easier to teach law school when you have a fresh supply of brains you can chew through. This also explains why Raccoon is always on the lookout for new TAs.

I think I'd run a lot faster if I were being chased by this:
zombie_raccoon.png
from http://miss-melis.deviantart.com/art/Zombie-Raccoon-for-twitterlu-327207852
zombie_raccoon.png (81.59 KiB) Viewed 19160 times

Raccoon
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by Raccoon » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:37 am

After a stress fracture scare that turned out to be a sprained/injured extensor digitorum brevis muscle, I spent 10 days doing non-impact workouts and then started running again a few days before an evening Halloween-themed 5K race.

Which I finished as the fastest adult. However, there were a bunch of crazy-fast kids, including a 9 year old girl who finished in 23:24(!), as well as three guys who totally smoked me: a 16 year old, a 13 year old, and a 12 year old. Yikes!!

Still, I set a PR (20:25), and on a relatively hard course too. It wasn't that hilly, but it had a lot of turns and multiple out and back stretches.

big_mara
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by big_mara » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:14 pm

Raccoon wrote:After a stress fracture scare that turned out to be a sprained/injured extensor digitorum brevis muscle, I spent 10 days doing non-impact workouts and then started running again a few days before an evening Halloween-themed 5K race.

Which I finished as the fastest adult. However, there were a bunch of crazy-fast kids, including a 9 year old girl who finished in 23:24(!), as well as three guys who totally smoked me: a 16 year old, a 13 year old, and a 12 year old. Yikes!!

Still, I set a PR (20:25), and on a relatively hard course too. It wasn't that hilly, but it had a lot of turns and multiple out and back stretches.
That's awesome, Racc. Congrats! Do you have anymore 5ks on the books? Iirc, 20 minutes is your goal for the year. There's still time!

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Post by lotsofphil » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:09 am

big_mara wrote: That's awesome, Racc. Congrats! Do you have anymore 5ks on the books? Iirc, 20 minutes is your goal for the year. There's still time!
Good call, mara. 26 seconds is like one, maybe two, quadruple espressos before the next race :)