Movie nerdery!

Like the title says, anything and everything else goes here. As long as it follows the forum rules.

Moderator: Raccoon

snarkypants
Contest Master of Heck

Movie nerdery!

Post by snarkypants » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:03 pm

I haven't read a book worth serious discussion in... many months, but I watch movies all the time. So! In the spirit of the AfH book club, I'm going to start a thread where people can rep fun movies that people might enjoy. I'll do a wide range for my first couple, but I'm pretty much always happy to yammer about movies (I was an officer of my collegiate film society and worked at a movie theater in Berkeley after college, so I spent basically five solid years with "go see a movie for free" as my default activity when I was bored on a weekday night).

3 WOMEN (1977)
Director: Robert Altman ("Gosford Park", "The Player", "Nashville", etc.)
Starring: Shelley Duvall and Sissy Spacek
Fun, improving, or both? More improving than fun. But fun!

Mrs. Snax and I were spending a period working our way through the Altman movies that I've seen and she hasn't, and I was reminded how much I liked this weird, dream-logic-y piece (directly adapted from a dream of Altman's, in fact) from Altman. Spacek and Duvall are coworkers at a physical therapy facility. Spacek attaches herself to her new idol Duvall as the bottom in a (non-sexual) dysfunctional relationship, and then the relationship (and identities) suddenly shift. JT threw out the George Cukor's "The Women" as a movie she likes when I mentioned this in chat, and this strikes me as something that would make a nice companion piece in a double feature -- it's basically "The Women" as directed by David Lynch; instead of a movie about bored upperclass women, it's a movie about boring working-class women, but by they similarly inhabit a relationship basically devoid of men. The film it gets compared to most often is Bergman's "Persona", which totally makes sense (Altman called "Persona" our as a major influence), but it's a trailer-park vision. Creepy in an identity-fluidity-nothing-makes-sense way, surprisingly funny, hauntingly unlike pretty much anything else. Duvall in particular is fantastic; if you've only seen her in "The Shining", it's a revelation how good she is; Spacek is awesome as always. One of Altman's best films. Available in a Criterion edition DVD.

Ebert's (spoiler-laden) review here: http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbc ... 60302/1023

"I have seen it many times, been through it twice in shot-by-shot analysis, and yet it always seems to be happening as I watch it. Recurring dreams are like that: We have had them before, but have not finished with them, and we return because they contain unsolved enigmas."