Terrible Customer service experience with greyhound

Like the title says, anything and everything else goes here. As long as it follows the forum rules.

Moderator: Raccoon

jtay
Woodpuzzle

Terrible Customer service experience with greyhound

Post by jtay » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:13 pm

I thought I'd share my customer service experience with Greyhound in the hopes that you would also never use their service again and share your own terrible customer service experiences for me to avoid as well.

So I'm a student in North Carolina and my family lives in Georgia. The trip is about 6 hours by car; however, I just sold my car because it was too old. So I didn't really have any plans to celebrate turkey day with my family this year. Fast forward to last Sunday, and my stepmom calls me and tells me to talk to my dad to get home for Thanksgiving--he would worry about the financials. I look on line and both planes and Amtrak were out of the question. It was over 400 for the former and 250 for the latter round trip. I call my dad and he suggests Greyhound. A roundtrip ticket was only $133, and it was 7 1/2 hours, not too terrible for not having to drive myself. So I go through the website and go through the steps. At one point it tells me that if the cardholder is not the one going on the bus then I have to pay an $18 fee. It's a total scam but I pay with my own credit card. When I get down to the end it declines my credit card. I don't know if I entered my name wrong but I've had this happen for other online orders so I try again. No luck. Call my dad, he pays with his card, declined. At this point I'm pretty sure the website is just not working for some reason. So I call the fare and schedule information number (the customer service number is only 7 through 7 Monday thru Friday). I finally figure out how to speak with someone because one of the first choices, speak with a customer service rep., tells you to just call the customer service number. I explain to the man that I'm trying to get home to see my family, trying to book through the website but it's not working. He gets my travel information and tells me the ticket is $191 to book with him (the standard fare). According to him, the only way to get the $133 web price is (of course) to get it over the web. Simply by calling the greyhound line and trying to sort this out I was charged with the standard fare. So I hang up and wait to call the actual customer service line the next day (Tuesday). Wake up, try the website again, credit card declined. I call the CS number and get a nicer lady. She tells me that the website isn't working because it's busy during the holidays and she can't book any tickets, but if I do book over the phone that apparently it is the standard $191 fee PLUS a phone fee (that the other guy didn't tell me about). I am visibly angry and call my dad, telling him I'm not going to come home. So I go to my last class and he calls me afterwards. Apparently another bus opened up and he was able to book it online for $133. I was a bit worried because they ask you to bring your credit card to make sure you paid for the ticket but they didn't even ask for ID of any sort, just the printed off ticket. So I get home on time.

That's not the end of the story though. My dad booked me a 9:30 pm Sunday return bus; I would get in at 6 in the morning for a 9:30 am class. It is Saturday here and the customer service line is down. I called the local GA greyhound customer service, which is the same number as the main and baggage help number and they didn't pick up at all. Called the NC number and the guy told me it was $15 to change my ticket to an earlier time. So I'm going to pay $15 to change my bus time so I can get to an earlier bus. As of this point I'm just glad I didn't have to get a refund because I'm sure that would never have materialized.

In summary, my complaints against greyhound:
-Fees bordering on extortion (charging extra for someone else paying for a ticket, phone booking fee, changing bus times), stupid web-only "discount" that seems to take advantage of the large percentage of people I saw that were buying greyhound tickets at the station/didn't have internet access
-customer service lines are confusing, limited availability, representatives have little power to correct mistakes and don't really try to be friendly
-website does not work for holiday time when I would need to buy a ticket

In short, Greyhound on the surface appears to me to have a business model that makes a large share of its profit through dishonesty and/or finding the cheapest alternatives to things like customer service. If you have any customer service complaints that need airing or want to comment on your own greyhound experience then please share; I would love to hear a different opinion.
Ingame: WoodPuzzle (#972449)

top1214
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Re: Terrible Customer service experience with greyhound

Post by top1214 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:55 pm

Protip: Don't fly Delta.

Borommakot_15
Sunny Day

Post by Borommakot_15 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:57 pm

top1214 wrote:Protip: Don't fly Delta.
Very much agreed.
Cancer Survivor, Military Veteran, and Giver of Sunshine
Heart: 25.64%, Diamond: 26.92%, Spade: 42.31%, Club: 5.13%

jtay
Woodpuzzle

Post by jtay » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:18 pm

My family used to fly Delta (I usually fly AA now because it is cheaper). What's wrong with them?
Ingame: WoodPuzzle (#972449)

williabr
Spy vs. Pie

Post by williabr » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:42 am

Borommakot_15 wrote:
Very much agreed.
I only fly Delta, have never had a problem with them.

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:15 pm

It could always be worse.