Cheap web hosting?

Like the title says, anything and everything else goes here. As long as it follows the forum rules.

Moderator: Raccoon

deusnoctum
Statistically likely to return

Cheap web hosting?

Post by deusnoctum » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:31 pm

tl;dr: I need hosting that's cheap and reliable for low volumes of traffic. Suggestions?

ntl;r: I'm currently on Dreamhost, having gone with them because they had a dirt cheap promo for two years of hosting. Hosting with them now will run about $7/mo instead of the $0.80/mo I got during the promo, so I'm looking to move elsewhere. I tend not to use much traffic or disk space--for the most part, it's a few small static files and the very occasional posting of a larger file (a few hundred megs) which I need to transfer to someone. In addition, I want to be able to run perl/php scripts, and database capabilities would be nice. I'm willing to sign a medium-term contract (2 years or less) if it's an inexpensive, quality host. Anyone know of such a company?

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Re: Cheap web hosting?

Post by thacon » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:43 pm

I use, and have been minimally unhappy with, 1and1. They recently raised their prices though, so you'd be paying ~$5/month for their basic services.

Borommakot_15
Sunny Day

Post by Borommakot_15 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:31 pm

I recently signed up with citrex at Quamper's suggestion.. they are decently priced, and have the normal features so far as I could tell (first time I'd ever gotten hosting, so I'm a noob). I'm happy with them, so far.. =)
Cancer Survivor, Military Veteran, and Giver of Sunshine
Heart: 25.64%, Diamond: 26.92%, Spade: 42.31%, Club: 5.13%

Ceirdwyn
Hug Duchess

Post by Ceirdwyn » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:52 am

I can recommend Strato (http://www.strato.de) for Webhosting, I do however not know if that one is availlable outside of Germany. Cost if you want PHP and SQL is about 5 Euro per month. I have read a LOT of bad things about 1&1, especially when you want out of the contract with them.

Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Eigenbasis » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:16 pm

1and1 usually runs various deals when you first sign up with them.
"Have you ever heard the expression, ‘When life gives you lemons, make lemonade, and then throw it in the face of the person who gave you the lemons until they give you the oranges you originally asked for?’"

NardoLoopa
Market Manipulator

Post by NardoLoopa » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:01 am

I use no-ip.org and zoneedit.com to serve my domains via dynamic IP address. I have a BubbaII server (http://www.excito.com/) listing on port 80 etc at home. It has just enough power to run a smallish KoL (think 100 simul-users) with mysql backend.

Cost is $10 per year plus electricity (5Watts) -- and piggybacks off my Comcast subscription.